[FM09] "The Students of Santander - A Mexican Masterclass"

DodgeeD

Mexico, 2022 World Cup Qualifying, Final Phase

With qualification for China 2022 complete, time for an update on my first few games as Mexico boss. :)

I took over halfway through the final phase with Mexico top of the table on 15 points (top three automatically qualify) so it was just a matter of sealing the deal. The squad looked good with some familiar faces: Martin Galvan (Arsenal) is still just 29 years old and at his peak; team mate Carlos Vela is also still going strong at 32 years old; three times world player of the year Giovanni dos Santos (32) has at least one more World Cup in him; and, even at 34, Barcelona's Guardado remains a force top be reckoned with. Add to that the regens that had moved to Europe's top sides, as well as some high quality domestic-based players, and I think the potential is there to challenge the world's best.

Onto the games:

away to Honduras, August 18th 2021

My first game in charge and I used the chance to bring come new faces in handing debuts to Pardo, Santibanez and Jorge Ramirez (all from that fine club, Estudiantes Santander ;)). Satibanez and Ramirez repayed my faith in them with goals as we survived a couple of comebacks from Honduras tı win 4-2. Lomeli and Rogelio Gonzalez, a former Estudiantes player) scored the other goals.

Honduras 2, Mexico 4

home to El Salvador, September 11th 2021

I handed out some more debuts in the next game and won media praise for bringing in more domestic-based players. Reyes (currently at Atlante and another ex-Estudiantes player) marked his debut with a goal and Raul Hernandez (Chivas) celebrated his first cap with a brace. An own goal completed a miserable day out for the Slavadorans and secured our qualification with 3 games to spare. :thup:

Mexico 4, El Salvador 0

away to Guatemala, September 15th 2021

With qualification secure, we were guilty of taking things a bit too easy in our next game as Guatemala stunned us with a goal in first half injury time (from Mendez, as it happens another ex-Estudiantes man :p). The inexperienced side I had fielded couldn't get back into the game in the second half and I had my first taste of defeat in international football.

Guatemala 1, Mexico 0

home to U.S.A., October 16th 2021

Even though qualfication was assured, the defeat at the hands of Guatemala left me with a point to prove so I picked a stronger squad for the final two matches and it paid off as two early goals set us on our way here. A penalty gave the Americans some hope but two further goals from Vela and Elizondo (a regen now at Real Madrid) sealed an easy win.

Mexico 4, U.S.A. 1

home to Panama, October 20th 2021

An easy game to finish: Panama had failed to pick up a point and had only scored two goals in the final phase. Not so much a matter of if we would win but how may we would score, 7 goals sealed an emphatic win and completed our qualifying campaign in style.

Mexico 7, Panama 0

Final Table - we qualify in top spot. Bring on the World Cup!

I think we have a good shot with the experienced players we still have and a number of high quality regens at clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd etc. My main worry is a lack of decent options in the full back positions and a lack of depth up front. The midfield is full of class though. :)

Estudiantes Santander, October/November 2021 Update

NACL

For most of October, we were focused on the NACL group stage. Even with two MLS teams in our group this year, we breezed through without any problems. In fact, we had our best ever performance in the group stage with maximum points, 28 goals scored and none conceded! Aguila of El Salvador were thrashed 6-0 home and away. D.C. United receieved a similar beating in their stadium and did well to keep the score down to 4-0 in Mexico. Toronto put up the best fight, eventually going down 3-0 in both games. However, they dropped points in their other matches allowing D.C. United to take 2nd. That meant all the groups finished with the Mexican representatives top and the Americans 2nd.

Final Group Tables

We will face Houston in the quarter finals. All of the ties feature a Mexican and American club so it seems likely the semis will be an all-Mexican affair again.

Quarter final draw

Copa Sudamericana

In the quarter finals, we faced Independiente of Argentina. Two early goals in the home leg seemed to set us up nicely but our opponents put up a fight in the 2nd half and scored a late goal to set up a tight second leg. A penalty in the return game gave our opponents the edge on away goals but an effective half-time team talk turned it around and we won 2-1 on the night and 4-2 overall.

Quarter final result

In the semis, we faced the only other Mexican side to get past the quarter final stage, Monterrey. Playing at home first, we were stunned by two early goals. De Los Santos pulled one back before half time but, in the secobd half, try as we might we couldn't level the game. A golden chance came in injury time as we won a penalty but Jadson, usually so assured from the spot, missed it and we were left with a lot to do in the away leg. We played the first half of that game well but again couldn't get the goal we needed. Disaster then struck in the second half as Monterrey scored twice with their only shots on target. We managed to get the game back to 2-2 but it was too little, too late and we were eliminated.

Semi final Leg 1 | Leg 2

Apertura

Once the NACL was out of the way, we had some catching up to do in the league (some of the other teams had played 14 games, whereas we had played just 9!). A period of 14 days in Novemeber saw us play 8 league games (and a Copa Sudamericana tie!) but somehow, we kept grinding out the results, winning many games 1-0 or 2-1. Qualificaiton for the play-offs was secured with 3 games to go and 7 points from those remaining games earned us top spot and top seeding for the play-offs, 4 points clear of Atlante and well clear of the rest of the pack.

Apertura Final Table

In the play-offs, we face Querétaro in the quarter finals, which shold be starightforward for us. If we progress, we will face the winner of the Cruz Azul/Pachuca match meaning we can avoid any potential clash with Atlante until the final.

Play-off Draw

My next update will focus on the play-offs and the end of the first alf of the season. Good news for the tired legs of my first-teamers - we will be entered directly into the group stage of the Copa Libertadores meaning no Interliga or Libertadores qualifying rounds to negotiate. :)

Estudiantes Santander, November/December 2021 Update: Apertura Play Offs

Quarter Final

Querétaro provided our opposition in the first round of play-offs. A devastating display of attacking football saw us race into a three goal lead courtesy of a fine brace of long distance shots from Ramos and another from Ramirez. However, the 2nd half saw a slip as Querétaro pulled two back. Ochoa was out of position for both goals and following the game, the media started to question if he was past his best. In the return game, our opponents scored early, with Ochoa this time mis-kicking a clearance and looked as though we might be beaten. A few choice words at half time re-invigorated the team though and our strikers Galvan and Nemeth bagged a goal each to give us the win, 5-3 on aggregate.

Quarter final result

Semi Final

A much improved performance would be needed to get past Cruz Azul in the next round, a side which had finished 3rd in the league standings. I decided to drop Ochoa and put my back-up keeper, Gorosito (who had been 1st choice before Ochoa arrived 18 months previously) in the team. In the first leg, we dominated the game. Galvan and Nemeth were on target again, putting us 3 goals up before a late Rİveros penalty made it 4. no defensive slip ups meant a comprehensive win. Cruz Azul tired to make a game of the 2nd leg and took the lead but Galvan was on target to equalise before half time and the score remained the same as we reached the final once again.

Semi final result

Final

As expected, it came down to us and Atlante again. Atlante, despite finishing 2nd in the league standings, hadn't looked impressive in the play-offs and we sensed they were there for the taking. An early goal from Santibanez set us on our way and Ramos doubled the lead in injury time. The second half went much the same way as Garza headed in a corner and Riveros scored stright from the restart. 4-0 meant the championship was effectively ours. In the 2nd leg, Atlante made it difficult for us but were unable to score until late in the game. Although we lost on the night, the championship was ours! :D

Final Leg 1 | Leg 2

Stars of the Season so far...

As usual, Lomeli, Riveros and Blanco have been key players as usual but a big difference in the season to date has been the form of two of my strikers:

Jesus Galvan - has just been a back up for the last few seasons but is currently joint top scorer in the league and the club's topscorer. Currently being watched by Ajax.

Csaba Nemeth - I picked this Serbian up on a free 3 seasons ago and he's taken a while to develop. This season, he's scored some vital goals, especially in the play-offs.

Good to see you qualify for the World Cup with Mexico :thup:

Domestically you seem to be dominating quite easily, continetally who would you say is the best team (apart from Estudiantes of course ;))?

Atlante always seem to push me hardest both domestically and continentally. They have won the Club World Championship as well and always seem to get far in whichever competition they are in. River and Boca generally reach the latter stages of the Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana and the Brazilian sides always seem to alternate. One surprise for me has been how weak the clubs from the other South American nations have been - they always get thrashed by the Mexican, Argentinian and Brazilian teams! :D

Yeah I find that quite annoying actually, although IRL these three nations have the best sides, they aren't as dominant as in FM. I don't think I have seen many Libertadores finals in FM with a team outside the three nations, wilst IRL it happens every now and then. LDU, Once Caldas and Olimpia have all won the Libertadores in the last decade, you'd never see that in FM!

On the North American side, I've also found the lack of competitiveness from the MLS teams frustrating. They seem to challenge the Mexican clubs irl but in my game, the NACL and Superliga final four are always Mexican, which makes it no different for me to the league play-offs....

Mexico, February 2022 Update

We had a friendly in February as I gathered my squad in Europe to face Croatia. To my surprise, the Croats had missed out on the World Cup as they finished 3rd in a tough qualifying group behind Ukraine and Greece. This was my last chance to look at the squad before the summer so I handed a debut to Josué Ramos of Estudiantes Santander (;)) and also to Jésus Galvan (Estudiantes Santander :p), who was called up after two strikers puılled out with injury and another was withdrawn by his manager. José Luis Rizo (Man Utd) also came in for his 100th cap.

The game was much easier than I anticipated. Ramos set us on the way with an early strike and we added three more goals before half time. A fine solo effort from ex-Estudiantes player Moreno made it 5 and a penalty sealed a 6-0 win that sent out a message that we will be a force to reckon with in the summer!

Croatia 0, Mexico 6

2022 World Cup Group Draw

Speaking of the World Cup, the groups have been drawn with Mexico entering Group E. There, we will face South Korea, Colombia and Turkey. I'm confident we can top the group and get off to a good start. :thup:

Group E - Teams & Schedule

Thanks corinthiano - I expect the group stage will be straightforward for us. However, you always need to be a little bit cautious at the World Cup!

Estudiantes Santander, January/February 2022 Update

Just a quick update on our progress in the clasura so far.

1st Division Clasura

We pretty much picked up where we left off with no departures from the club and only one arrival - a Chinese striker brought in to boost merchandising revenue more than anything else. Our form so far has been very good with 6 wins and 1 draw in our 7 games so far. I have also dropped Ochoa from the starting line up and brought Gorosito back as the number 1 keeper and so far it has worked as we are yet to concede a goal. Highlights so far have been a 3-0 win over Monterrey and a 4-0 win against Pumas. Chivas are the only side to take points off us so far as that match finished 0-0.

Clasura Standings

Copa Libertadores

As we were seeded into the group stage, we haven't started our attempt to win three Libertadores crowns in a row yet but the groups have been drawn. We are in Group D, which looks like this:

Independiente (Argentina)

Danubio (Uruguay)

Deportivo Tachira (Venezuela)

Estudiantes Santander (Mexico)

I expect little resistance from Danubio and the games against Deportivo should be a matter of 'how many will we score?'. That means a tussle with Idependiente for top spot but, based on our Copa Sudamericana clashed earlier this season, we should be able to come out 1st.

Next update to come after the conclusion of the Copa Lİbertadores group stages and the next couple of rounds of the NACL. :thup:

Remember when I complained about no teams from outside the "big three" winning the Libertadores? Universidad Catolica have just gone and won the bloody thing on my save!! Maybe the fact that I have every S. American league loaded had an influence?

But your group looks very doable, gotta love the crappy Venezuelan sides!

You may well be right - perhaps with just Mexico loaded, the distribution of regens is weighted heavily in the favour of the active league and the top continental nations, i.e. Brazil and Argentina.

I am tempted to start a career game on FM10 with more South American leagues loaded so I may find out for myself soon. ;)

Estudiantes Santander, March/April/May 2022 Update

With the regular season over, here's a round up of how the clasura league stage finished and an update on the continental competitions. :thup:

Clasura

We managed to finish the league stage unbeaten, dropping just 6 points. Our run of clean sheets eventually extended to 11 games and was broken by Atlante (not to worry as we smashed 4 ppast them in the same game ;)). After that, we conceded a few more but remained impressive, only conceding more than one goal in one game against Querétaro. In the end, we topped the table with ease giving us the top seeding for the play-offs. In the quarter-final stage, we will play Chivas, who finished a lowly 11th in the standings but qualified thanks to the group system.

Final Clasura Standings

NACL

Quarter Final - Houston were our opponents as CONCACAF's answer to the Champions League resumed. An easy win was expected and delivered courtesy of a 5-0 triumph a home and a 2-0 win away.

Result

Semi Final -As ever, the real competition began in the semis as we came down to the last 4 Mexican clubs. We faced Pumas and were frustarted in the home leg due to our inability to convert chances into goals. We nearly paid the price as a clanger from the keeper gifted our opponents an equaliser but we managed to restore our lead thanks to a Lomeli header. The second leg was tense as two early goasl put us behind on aggregate. Gerardo Gonzalez produced two moments of magic to pull us level on the night before we conceded again to go 3-2 down. As things stood, we were ahead on away goals and a tense second half ensued but we held on to adavance to the final.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Final - In the final, we faced Monterrey and the chance to avenge our Copa Sudmericana defeat from earlier in the season. Playing away first, we quickly established the lead through a penalty and a second goal from in-form Gonzalez shortly afterwards put us firmly in control of the tie. The tie was put beyond doubt in the second leg as Galvan scored. monterrey had no way back into the game and the Estudiantes Santander fans were left to celebrate their 2nd NACL title!

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Copa Libertadores

Group Stage - Our pursuit of a third consecutive Libertadores crown began with a straightforward group with only Independiente likely to offer any kind of opposition. Deportivo Tachira were beaten 10-0 home and away and Danubio were beaten 5-0 at home and 6-0 away. A narrow 2-1 win at home to Idependiente was followed by a 1-1 draw away, meaning we topped the group.

Group D Table

2nd Round - The syatem of classifiying the 1st and 2nd placed finishers and pairing them for the next round meant we had to face Idependiente yet again. The games followed a similar pattern to the group stage as we drew 1-1 in Argentina before securing a home win (2-0) and adavancing to the next round.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Quarter Final - Back in Argentina to face River Plate, the game seemed to be heading for a goaless draw until centre back de la Torre popped up for a corner late on to give us a vital win. In the home leg, we took the lead twice but allowed our opponents the chance to level the game each time. That made for a tense finalé as River chased the goal that would put them through but we held on through 6 nail-biting minutes of injury time to reach the semis 3-2 on aggregate.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

In the semi-final, we have been drawn against the only other Mexican team left in the competition, our old rivals Atlante. However, as this is a World Cup year, those games won't take place until July.

I'll have another update once the clasura play-offs are completed. After that, it's off to the World Cup with Mexico! :cool:

Yes indeed hamilton. I'll be getting onto that after this update. :thup:

Estudiantes Santander, Clasura Play-Offs Update

Quarter Final - Chivas were up first but we approached the game with a little too much confidence and found ourselves a goal down after a poor first half. A much improved performance in the second half created lots of pressure but we had to wait late for the goal as sub Figueroa scored a spectacular 30-yard effort. The 2nd leg was business as usual as Jesus Galvan scored a hat-trick and we won 5-1 to breeze into the semis.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Semi Final - By the time the semi final came round, our sqaud had been hit by World Cup call-ups with that pesky Mexico manager (:p) calling up 6 of my players and a further 3 away with their respective nations. A low key game seemed to be heading for a goaless draw until we won a penalty deep into injury time. Jadson stepped up but wasted the chance by hitting the post. The 2nd leg followed a similar pattern but this time we managed to score as sub Nemeth scored with his first touch and then added a second to send us into the final.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Final - Inevitabley, it all came down to us and Atlante. Both sides were suffering from World Cup, with our 8 players away and Atlante missing their first choice goalkeeper, right back and left winger (that pesky Mexico manager again ;)). An early goal for us set up a good game. Atalante gave us a scare by going 2-1 ahead before we powered to the finish with three goals in the last twenty minutes. Another early goal from De Los Santos in the away leg effectively killed Atlante's slim hopes. They equalised but a second half stirke from a 17 year-old product of our youth system sealed the win and another title for Estudiantes Santander!

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Mexico, World Cup 2022 - Group E

Our World Cup campaign started with a fairly straightforward group consisting of Turkey, Colombia and South Korea. We had been given odds of 15-2 before the tournament began with no fewer than 5 nations named as co-favourties, those being Brazil, Italy, France, Spain and Argentina, all priced at 2-1. It was obvious the bookies were expecting a close race for the World Cup and we would be aiming to be part of it.

I brought 6 Estudiantes Santander players along for the ride: Juan Manuel Lomeli and Francisco Guilermo Ochoa were already considered integral parts of the team and I also brought along Antonio de la Torre, who had been impressive alongside Lomeli in defence all season and I felt the experience would do him good. A few eyebrows were raised by my other inclusions from my own team due to their lack of caps (only 2 between them!): Jesus Galvan and Gerardo Gonzalez were picked purely because of their great form in the secod half of the season and I picked the previously uncapped 19 year-old winger Victor Albarran. The main reason for this was the fact that he had kept Blanco out of the Estudiantes team during the clasura so it seemed silly to me to then pick Blanco for the national side instead.

Match 1 - South Korea v Mexico

The easiest game came first and it was won thanks to a Lomeli hat-trick as the defender headed in a corner, a free kick and scored a rebound from open play. It was a solid performance with the only slip up being a wonder goal from South Korea as they scored from 40 yards.

Result: South Korea 1, Mexico 3

Match 2 - Mexico v Colombia

A win here would have put us through with a game to spare. It all started well as Monaco striker Olvera opened the scoring on 9 minutes. Colombia put up a good fight though and soon equalised. They then outplayed us for parts of the second half and in the end, we were lucky to get a point.

Result: Mexico 1, Colombia 1

Match 3 - Mexico v Turkey

With Turkey already through, a point was needed to secure our qualificaiton for the next round. However, we were after the win that would put us top of the group. Olvera again struck with an early goal and Man Utd midifielder added a second before half-time with a fine effort from the edge of the box. That was the end of the scoring and meant we would finish top of the group. :thup:

Result: Mexico 2, Turkey 0

World Cup 2022 - Group Stage Round-Up

Group A - No surprises here as France and Brazil go through. Brazil's failiure to beat Ukraine and Togo means they finish 2nd, however.

Group B - Germany top the group in style with Belgium coming 2nd by virtue of not being as bad as Japan or Morocco.

Group C - Spain recovered from a defeat in their first game to qualify in 2nd spot behind Greece. Guatemala came close and it all might have been different if they hadn't conceded in injury time aginst the Spanish.

Group D - First major shock here as Holland were knocked out and China suffered the embarassment of coming last on home soil. U.S.A. and Chile were the teams that made it through instead.

Group E - Mexico top the group with ease ahead of Turkey. Can we go all the way?

Group F - Another surprise here that could make life difficult for us as Sweden finished 1st in the group ahead of Italy, meaning we have to play the 3-time champions in the next round.

Group G - As expected, Argentina won their group with Australia beating Russia to the runners-up spot.

Group H - This group went to form with England breezing through on maximum points, Switzerland 2nd and Iran and Togo nowhere near.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Cup 2022 - Knockout Stages Preview

As mentioned above, we now face Italy. If we are to win, it looks like we will have to do it the hard way as England are likely quarter final opponents and Brazil and Germany are in our half of the draw as well.

2022WorldCup2RTree.jpg

World Cup 2022 - 2nd Round

Italy v. Mexico

Ahead of this game, I made a couple of changes with Carlos Vela moving to the left wing and a tired Guardado dropping to the bench. Italy were favourites but we made the situation a lot easier with an early goal as Estudiantes Santander youngster Albarran crossed for Israel Olvera to head home with the first attack of the game. Italy pushed to get back into the game and did so with an equaliser before half-time. They then played very tight in defence, trying to tire our attackers. We kept coming at them though and my decision to play Vela on the left payed dividends as he cut inside from the wing to score a match winning individual goal with 8 minutes left.

Result: Italy 1, Mexico 2

Elsewhere in Round 2, U.S.A. pulled off a shock win against Spain and Switzerland nearly knocked out Argentina, eventually losing out on penalties. Brazil won the match of the round by beating Germany 2-0. No of the other games produced any surprises with France, Sweden, Chile and England all advancing. We now face England in the last eight.

2022WorldCupQFDraw.jpg

World Cup 2022 - Quarter Final

Mexico v. England

Another tight game was anticipated against an England side ranked 2nd in the World going into the tournament. However, it turned out to be a one-sided affair as suddenly, everything in the Mexico side clicked and we turned in a great performance. Albarran proved his worth again by setting up Real Madrid striker Elizondo for the first goal after just 9 minutes. We could and should have added more as we dominated the next 10 minutes before Gerardo Gonzalez scored with a sweet individual effort. England had no answer to that as we took our foot off the gas and cruised into the semis. After the game, the media were falling over themselves to heap ğraise on Gonzalez, despite questioning the inclusion of the Estudiantes midfield mystero before the World Cup began.

Result: Mexico 2, England 0

In the other games, Argentina easily overcame Sweden 2-0 but the other games produced shocks as U.S.A. continued their run with an extra time win over France and Chile stunned Brazil nd the rest of the world with a 2-0 win. Chile will now face Mexico in the semi finals, which will not feature any European sides for the first time ever!

2022WorldCupSFDraw.jpg

World Cup 2022 - Semi Final

Chile v. Mexico

With all the expectation of a semi final clash against Brazil, it was something of a surprise that Chile were the opposition. Mexico had a great chance to reach their second consecutive final (the previous manager had taken them to the runners-up spot in 2018) but they would not be taking Chile lightly - I'd be making sure of that. The game was tense, as World Cup semis often are, with neither side wanting to make a mistake. Chile were the team to slip up though as a needless foul inside the area led to a penalty and Man Utd captain Antonio Campos stepped up to convert it. We had chances to extend our lead but we didn't take them. That made for a tense final few minutes as Chile piled on the pressure. We had an injury time chance to put it beyond all doubt with another penalty. This time though, Campos missed. The whole incident heşped run down the clock though and we had made it to the final!

Result: Chile 0, Mexico 1

In the other game, the incredible run of the U.S.A. continued as they scored tiwce in the last 5 minutes to beat Argentina 3-2. That means the final will be an all CONCACAF affair as we take on the side we beat 4-1 in qualifying just 9 months ago...

2022WorldCupFinalTree.jpg

Excellent progress in the world cup :thup: and drawing USA rather than Argentina must surely give you a better chance of lifting the trophy. What an amazing achievement it would be if you could win the world cup, what with that on top of your success in leading Santander to being the dominant force in Mexico. Would this mean you will have completed Razor's challenge?

Razer's challenge just covered the club side with the goal being to win the domestic league and the Libertadores. I started this thread so I could chart my progress as I moved into the international arena. :)

Even if we win the World Cup (just about to load up and play that game now!), I won't be done as I still have the 2023 Gold Cup and Copa America as well as the next Confederations Cup to win to complete the set. Who knows? If it all goes wrong now, I may have to stick around for the 2026 World Cup as well (hopefully there's enough time before FM10 comes out :p)

World Cup 2022 Final: U.S.A. v. Mexico

And so it came down to the a match against our neighbours and rivals, the U.S.A. We were favourites for the game and quickly justified that tag as we took the game to our opponents early on and didn't even allow them a shot on goal in the first half. A knock picked up by Olvera meant Estudiantes Santander striker Jesus Galvan got a start. He had been criticised for some nervy performances earlier in the competition but he produced the goods just before the half hour mark with a fine individual effort to put us a goal ahead. We continued to domiante in the second half but, as in the semi final against Chile, we couldn't find a second goal. The U.S.A. finally started to attack i the last ten minutes and, guttingly for us, scored with their first shot on goal to force extra time. In the first period of extra time, we ended up on the backfoot for the first time in the game as our opponents threatened to snatch a win. However, my trusted Estudiantes players soon turned the game back in our favour. First, Gerardo Gonzalez floated in a free kick that Lomeli headed in and shortly afterwards, we hit the Americans on the counter attack as Giovanni dos Santos broke through on goal and unselfishly played the ball wide to Albarran, who smashed a first time shot into the back of the net. that put the game beyond doubt and meant Mexico were crowned World Champions for the first time!

Result: U.S.A. 1, Mexico 3 (a.e.t.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022WorldCupResults.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Cup 2022: Awards

World Cup Best Player - won by Estudiantes' own Juan Manuel Lomeli with captain Jorge Luiz Rizo second.

World Cup Best Goalkeeper - Juan Antonio Villa justified his selction ahead of the vetran Ochoa with his performances and this award.

World Cup Dream Team - 7 Mexicans made the squad with 4 in the Dream XI. A good showing for Estudiantes Santander too with three players (Lomeli, Gonzalez and Albarran) named.

Estudiantes Santander, 2022 Copa Libertadores

Semi final - there wasn't much time to celebrate the World Cup win as I was straight back into the thick of it as Estudiantes Santander still had the final stages of the Libertadores to play. In fact, the first leg of our semi against Altlante took place between the World Cup semif final and the final meaning both sides had notable absentees, just as in the clasura final 4 weeks earlier. An opening goal from De Los Santos put us in control of the game but Atlante manged to snatch an equaliser before half time with their only real chance. In the second half, we lost our concentration a little and Atlante capitlalised to score again and lead the the tie. All our World Cup stars were back for the second leg. However, the dream of three consecutive Libertadores titles seemed to be just that as De Los Santos reacted badly to a challenge early on and got sent off. We battled away with ten men, doing well to keep the score at 0-0 and hoping for something on the break. We got something late on but in bizarre circumstances as Nemeth ran in on goal and was hacked down from behind. To my surprise, no foul was given. I think the Alante defence was surpised too as everyody stood and wathced the ball ricochet from the challenge and bounce into the back of the net. A stroke of good fortune had put us ahead on away goals but there was a price - Nemeth was injured in the challenge and had to go off. With all three subs used, we were down to 9 men. Atlante hit us with attack after attack but we stood firm through 9 agonizing minutes of injury time. Our numerical disadvantage got worse as Lomeli picked up a second yellow thus reducing us to 8 men. :eek: Luckily, Atlante didn't have time to capitalise and we had somehow scrpaed through to the final.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Final - And so, after all that, we faced Cruzerio for the second final in succession. My players seemed a bit jaded after a long hard season and we found ourselves a goal down at half time in the first leg. Some words of encouragement and the energy of the home support kicked them into gear though and we were able to turn the match around and get a win thanks to a peanlty and another bizarre own goal, this time courtesy of the Cruzerio keeper, who passed the ball into his own net under absolutely no pressure. If our first leg win was somewhat fortuitous, our second leg performance was worthy of a major cup final. We survived an early onslaught to take control of the ame and silence the home crowd with a great diving header by Joue Ramos early in the second half. Lomeli, back in the side after a one game ban, made sure of the win with a header on 65 minutes. Cruzerio had no fight left in them and we secured our 3rd Libertadores trophy is as many years.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

The Mexican Youth Project – Estudiantes Santander (2021/22)

Another busy season in Mexico as we competed in 5 different competitions. I had three YPs in regular rotation with YP9 returning from loan and prodigal son YP2 returning to the club after 7 seasons away. My appointment as Mexico manager allowed one YP to get his first cap as well but, on the downside, another YP faced up to reality and called it a day.

Summary of YPs 2020/21 Season

First Team Squad YPs3 (YPs 2, 7 & 9)

Youth/Reserve Team YPs2 (YPs 11 & 12)

Out On Loan 1 (YP 10 )

Left The Club1 (YP 6)

Retired YPs4 (YPs 1, 3, 4, 5 & 8)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Team YPs

Prodigy 2 (MC, Mexican)

Josué Ramos Initial Profile (July 2011)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2012)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2013)

End of Season 3 Profile (Summer 2014)

End of Season 4 Profile (Summer 2015)

End of Season 5 Profile (Summer 2016)

End of Season 6 Profile (Summer 2017)

End of Season 7 Profile (Summer 2018)

End of Season 8 Profile (Summer 2019)

End of Season 9 Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 10 Profile (Summer 2021)

End of Season 11 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – runs with ball through centre, gets forward whenever possible, tries killer balls often, shoots from distance

Left foot – Very Strong

Right foot – Very Weak

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]       [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2011/12  3(14)    -      2    -    6.33[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2012/13  4(14)    3      -    -    6.48[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2013/14   7(9)    3      3    -    6.96[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2014/15  3(16)    3      3    1    6.99[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st A  2015/16   20      9      5    2    7.13  Transferred for ₤900k[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st A  2016/17   41      10     7    3    7.08[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st    2017/18  32(1)    7      5    3    6.89[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st    2018/19  13(1)    1      1    1    6.88  Transferred for ₤925k[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st    2018/19  10(5)    2      2    1    7.02[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st    2019/20  30(5)    10     2    2    7.06[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st    2020/21  23(1)    5      3    1    7.06[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2020/21  31(16)   3      6    -    7.07  Bought for ₤2.8mil, made international debut[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana] [/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Medals[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apetura [/i]x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Clasura [/i]x2 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division A [i]Clasura [/i]x1 (2017)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division A Championship Play-off x1 (2017)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]NACL x 1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Libertadores x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Recopa x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Achievements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division A Young Player of the Year x1 (2017)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Fans’ Player of the Year x1 (2016)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Fans’ Player of the Year x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander Best XI x2 (2012, 2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Best XI x1 (2016)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Overall Best XI (2019-present)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Best XI x3 (2019, 2020, 2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Overall Best XI (2021 – present)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Libertadores Best Goal x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]

As Ramos became increasingly unhappy at América and the price was right, I decided to bring him back home. He was delighted to rejoin but had to battle with 5 other players for one of the two central midfield spots. He was used on rotation at first but soon became a regular starter. A greats eason saw him pick up 5 medals and make his international debut (admittedly through me being the Mexico manager :p). He scored some cracking goals from distance too, winning the Copa Libertadores Best Goal award and smashing a 40-yarder in for Mexico against Croatia. I would have taken him to the World Cup but he got injured at the end of the season and missed out...

Prodigy 7 (DRLC, Mexican)

Humberto Rodriguez Initial Profile (July 2016) - missing

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2017)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2018)

End of Season 3 Profile (Summer 2019)

End of Season 4 Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 5 Profile (Summer 2021)

End of Season 6 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – Gets forward whenever possible

Left foot – strong

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]       [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2016/17    1      -      -    -    6.80[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A            2017/18  28(3)    5      5    1    7.47  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A            2018/19   37      3      5    2    7.40  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st A  2019/20   29      -      -    -    6.57  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2020/21  16(14)   3      6    -    7.07[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2021/22  21(14)   2      6    -    7.12[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Medals[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apertura [/i]x2 (2020, 2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Clasura [/i]x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]NACL x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Sudamericana x1 (2020)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Libertadores x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Recopa x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Club World Championship x1 (2020)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Under 20 World Cup x1 (2019)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Acheivements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones Best XI x1 (2020)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander Best XI x2 (2021, 2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]

Continued in his role as backup to Marcos in the right back slot and was employed in centre defnce and on the left a couple of time due to injuries to others. Added two more league medals and played in the NACL and Recopa finals but missed the Libertadores final due to injury. Since the end of the season, the manager of French club Toulouse has been praising him but the player has stated his loyalty to Estudiantes Santander.

Prodigy 9 (DC, Mexican)

Mario Maldonado Initial Profile (July 2018)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2019)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 3 Profile (Summer 2021)

End of Season 4 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – Shoots with power

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]      [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2018/19   9(5)    1      1    -    6.78[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A           2019/20  36(1)    3      6    1    7.48  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2020/21    4      -      -    -    6.88[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Cutidores*             Mexican 1st A 2020/21   20      3      -    1    6.80  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2021/22  29(7)    4      -    1    6.95[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apetura [/i]x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Clasura [/i]x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]NACL x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Libertadores x1 (2022)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Under 20 World Cup x2 (2019, 2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Achievements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Cutidores Best XI x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

Became a first team squad member and featured mainly in a backup role when my first choice defenders were injured or in need of a rest. Did enough to pick up two domestic medals and featured in three continental finals, all of which we won! He’s also picked up some interest from Europe with Toulouse (again) and Lille tracking him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youth/Reserve Team YPs

Prodigy 11 (AMRC/FC, Mexican)

Sergio Rojas Initial Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2021)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]    [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2020/21  1(1)     -      -    -    7.00[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2021/22  1(2)     -      3    -    7.10[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

Limited to a few easy games in the NACL and not that impressive in the youth team. A loan move may be the way to go for next season.

YP 12 (ST, Mexican)

Luis Manuel Leal Initial Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – Runs with ball through the centre

Left foot – reasonable

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]    [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2021/22  11(3)    6      3    -    7.15[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

A promising start to this lad’s career as he scored a few in the NACL and made a mark in his league appearances as well. Also enjoyed a succesful tutoring spell with first team regular Jesus Galvan and featured in the national U20 side.

Prodigies Out On Loan

YP10 (D/WB, MR, Mexican)

Damian Banos Initial Profile (July 2019)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2021)

End of Season 3 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]      [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2019/20  4(4)     -      3    -    6.99[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2020/21   7       -      2    -    7.07[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Tampico Madero*        Mexican 1st A 2021/22   26      2      7    2    6.96  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

On loan at one of our feeders this season and did fairly well at the lower level. Unlikely to feature in the first team back at Estudiantes Santander though due to the presence of YP7.

Released YPs

Prodigy 6 (D/WBR, Mexican)

Ricardo Sanchez Initial Profile (July 2015)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2016)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2017)

End of Season 3 Profile (Summer 2018)

End of Season 4 Profile (Summer 2019)

End of Season 5 Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 6 Profile (Summer 2021)

End of Season 7 Profile (Summer 2022)

PPMs – tries to play way out of trouble, dives into tackles

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2015/16    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A            2016/17  16(1)    1      4    -    7.35  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A            2017/18  12(5)    1      2    -    6.72  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st    2018/19   2(1)    -      -    -    6.93[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st A  2019/20  18(1)    -      2    -    6.78  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st A  2020/21   2(1)    -      -    -    6.70  *On loan; left on a free transfer[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mérida FC              Mexican 1st A  2021/22  25(4)    -      1    -    6.51  Released from contract[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Acheivements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones Best XI x1 (2020)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

After joining Morelia last summer, YP6 was placed in their second string side Mérida in the 1st Division A. He featured regularly but was no more then average nad was released from his contract at the end of the season. He’s now looking for a new club with a couple of 1st Division A sides interested.

Retired YPs

Prodigy 8 (AML/ST, Mexican)

Francisco Arias Initial Profile (July 2017)

End of Season 1 Profile (Summer 2018)

End of Season 2 Profile (Summer 2019)

End of Season 3 Profile (Summer 2020)

End of Season 4 Profile (Summer 2021)

RETIRED (Summer 2022)

PPMs – runs with ball through centre, places shots, plays no through balls

Left foot – very strong

Right foot – weak

[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2017/18    4      1      3    -    7.38[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19    2      1      2    -    7.60[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2019/20  27(1)   10      4    2    7.21  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Dirigén*               N/A         2020/21   28      8      4    1    6.96  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]-                      -           2021/22    -      -      -    -      -   RETIRED[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apetura[/i] (2018)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

As he was out of contract and nowhere near the first team, YP8 was released last summer and, after failing to find a new club, decided to call it a day.

The New Guy

YP 13 (MRC, Mexican)

Humberto Elizondo Initial Profile (Summer 2020)

PPMs – Argues with officials

Left foot – reasonable

Right foot – very strong

Already seen as decent for the top flight and with leading star potential, this kid could be the best one yet. High determination and workrate should see him develop well and good creativity and flair should result in some crowd pleasing moments. He’ll have to work on his decision making though and he has a tempremental personality, as shown by the PPM he came through with. In an attempt to sort that out, I reached a landmark moment in the Mexican Youth Project – he will be tutored by one of the club’s model professionals, none other than Josue Ramos (YP2)! This marks the first time a product of our own youth system has gone on to tutor one of the new guys.

Estudiantes Santander, 2021-22 Season Review: Awards and Key Players

Awards

Here’s a summary of all the awards which involved players, staff or the club itself from this season:

Mexican Player of the Season Lomeli wins this award for the first time with Jadson voted 2nd.

Mexican Goalkeeper of the Season – Gorosito takes the award after forcing Ochoa out of the team.

Mexican Central Defender of the Season – Lomelli wins once again with de la Torre 2nd.

Mexican Full Back of the SeasonOscar Herrera wins despite missing 3 months with injury. Pardo gets some recognition with 2nd even though he lost his place to young Brazilian Junior towards the end of the season.

Mexican 1st Division Team of the Season – plenty of Estudiantes Santander players there!

Mexican Manager of the Season – once again the FMF go for the obvious choice. ;)

Copa Libertadores Best Goal – Josué Ramos won this with a real piledriver against Deportivo Tachira in the group stages. My team seem to be consistently overlooked for the other awards though (we’ve won it three times in a row now after all). I wonder why...

World Team of the Year – Lomeli and Jadson were honoured at the FIFA awards.

South American Team of the Year – Jadson honoured again. Why hasn’t he been capped by Brazil yet?

World Cup Best Player – a deserved award for the key player in the Mexico side.

World Cup Dream Team – Lomeli, Gonzalez and Albarran all feature here.

The Team

Fans’ Player of the Year – Juan Manuel Lomeli. No surprises there.

2021/22 Best XI – I was a little bit surprised that Garza was picked ahead of de la Torre and very surprised that Humberto Rodriguez got in as he was 3rd choice right back. In fact, one of the guys above him (Oscar Herrara) won the 1st Division Full Back of the Year award!

Overall Best XI – Atonio de la Torre and Jorge Ramirez were added to the subs bench this season.

Key Players

Martin Gorosito – with Ochoa out of form, this guy reclaimed his starting berth and produced some top drawer performances including a run off 12 games in all competitions without conceding.

Juan Manuel Lomeli – another standout season as he played a key role for club and country. He is now telling the media he has no intention to leave when he is linked with other clubs. :thup:

Antonio de la Torre – played well enough in the second half of the season to keep Garza out of the team and get a call up for the World Cup.

Victor Albarran – started the season as 3rd choice on the right wing and I even tried to loan him out. Very quickly displaced those above him in the pecking order, including the highly experienced Blanco. Wrapped up a great season by taking Blanco’s spot in the national side too and scoring the last goal in the World Cup final.

Victor Riveros – again played his socks off and got some vital goals too. Would have played even more if it wasn’t for...

Jadson – with all the games we play, I’m lucky to have two top quality left wingers. 31 assists show the contribution he made. Took Mexican nationality this year so I’m hoping he will get fed up of waiting for a call up from Brazil and join us. ;)

Gerardo Gonzalez – put in some great performances in the second half of the season, especially in the Libertadores, thus earning him a place in the World Cup squad on merit. Proved his worth there with some quality performances and a goal against England.

Jesus Galvan – out-performed my other strikers and was our most consistent scorer in the league. A goal in the World Cup final helped round off a very good season for the youngster.

Estudiantes Santander 2021-22 Season Overview

A mere 82 games this season brought in 5 trophies with the Copa Sudamericana the only one that got away. Our victory in the NACL means we get a chance to reclaim the Club World Championship next season.

1st Division Apetura: Winners

1st Division Clasura: Winners

NACL: Winners

Copa Sudamericana: Semi-finalists

Copa Libertadores: Winners

Recopa: Winners

Domestic Competition History

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]  [i][u]Apetura[/u][/i]        [i][u]Clasura[/u][/i]         [u]Other Competitions[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2009-10  1st A     Winners        Quarter-final   Promotion play-off winners[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2010-11  1st       Semi-final     Quarter-final   N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2011-12  1st       10th           Quarter-final   N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2012-13  1st       11th           Semi-final      N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2013-14  1st       Final          Final           N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2014-15  1st       Quarter-final  Semi-final      Interliga Group Stage[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2015-16  1st       Quarter-final  11th            Interliga Final[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2016-17  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga Winners[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2017-18  1st       Winners        Winners         N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2018-19  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga final[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2019-20  1st       Semi-final     Final           Interliga Winners[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2020-21  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga Winners[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2021-22  1st       Winners        Winners         N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]

Continental Competition History

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]   [u]NACL[/u]          [u]Lib[/u]        [u]Sud[/u]            [u]Other Competitions[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2009-10  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2010-11  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2011-12  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2012-13  Quarter-final -          Quarter-final  N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2013-14  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2014-15  Semi-final    -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2015-16  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2016-17  -             Semi-final -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2017-18  Semi-final    2nd Round  -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2018-19  Final         -          1st Round      N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2019-20  Winners       Winners    Quarter-final  N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2020-21  Semi-final    Winners    Winners        Club World Champions[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2021-22  Winners       Winners    Semi-final     Recopa Winners[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]NACL = North American Champions League; Lib = Copa Libertadores; Sud = Copa Sudamericana[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]

Estudiantes Santander 2022 Apetura Update

With the play-offs about to begin, it's time to look at the season so far. :)

Pre-Season

We didn't really have a pre-season at all as our league campaign kicked off just 10 days after out Copa Libertadores win! There was plenty of transfer activity though as I sought to trim down the squad. I had a couple of reasons for doing this: first of all, the large squad we had used for the last few seasons was draining all the club's money; secondly, we would not have such a fixture pile-up this season as we were not participating in the Copa Sudamericana; and, finally, by using all those players in rotation, some of my youngsters were stallig in their development as they came in and out of the team. For that reason, I decided to sell players who weren't producing when in the side and focus on my key players and most promising youngsters. In total, 10 players left the club in July and August for a total of 35 million pounds. The mot notable departures were:

- Elvio Rotondo (to HSV for 8.5mil) - although he had been at the club for many years, he had never been a consistent goalscorer and I thought the money offered was good for a player about to turn 29.

- Francisco Javier Blanco (to CSKA Moscow for 8mil) - a tough one this as this guy was a seasoned pro with nearly 70 caps for Mexico and he had played a key role in securing our first domestic titles and helping us become a continental powerhouse. Once again, the money was good and the rise of Victor Albarran had cost him his place in the first team so it was the right move for both parties.

- Jaime Morales (to Anderlecht for 7.5mil) - although younger than the above two at just 23, this guy seemed to have hit a wall in his development after a promising start to his career so I decided to let him go to Europe to see what he can do there.

The other sales were all players from the reserve and youth teams who seemed unlikely to make an impact here.

Recopa

Our first crack at a trophy came against Copa Sudamericana winners River Plate. We were rated as underdogs for the first leg in Argebtina but we ripped up the form book and taught River a footballing lesson as we ran out 5-0 winners, with a brace from Miguel De Los Santos and goals from teenage senstaion Victor Albarran, Carlos Humberto Ramirez and Jorge Ramirez. We took it easy in the home leg as I fielded a weakned team. River trie to salvage some pride as they took the lead twice but two goals in the last two minutes from Jesus Galvan and Victor Riveros earned us a 3-2 win on the night and a comprehensive 8-2 aggregate win. With that, we had earned our first silverware of the season.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Apetura

We started the league campaign in style with a 5-0 win over Cruz Azul and a 5-1 triumph against Santos Laguna. We then suffered a slip up as Pachuca beat us 1-0 but that was just one of those games and proved to be our only defeat. Monterrey and América were the oly other teams able to take points off us as we were held to draws by them. Aside from those games, we were dominant as best shown by our crushing 3-0 win over rivals Atlante, made all the more comprehensive by the fact that we played over 80 minutes with just ten men. In the end, we qualified for the play-offs and secured top spot and highest seeding with ease.

Final Table

In the play-off quarter finals, we face Monterrey, who finished down in 10th. It should be straightforward but we will have to be wary as they gave us a tough game in the league campaign.

NACL

We were seeded straight into the group stages and had the usual easy ride. MLS side Salt Lake were swept aside easily as were Montuga (Honduras) and Aguila (El Salvador) as we topped the group with maximum points and without conceding a goal. Although we dominated, I will admit to taking it easy against Aguila in our last game as they were ahead of Salt Lake in the standings on goal difference. Once we were 3 goals up, I had my players drop back to ensure the MLS outfit would go out. ;)

Group Tables

Another surprise (not as big as Aguila qualifying admittedly) was the elimination of New York and the progress of Toronto FC, who reach the knockout stages for the first time. We will play the Canadian side in the quarter finals next March.

Mexico Update: Autumn 2022 Friendlies

With our new status as World Champions, we took to the field for 4 friendlies between August and November:

home to Brazil (17th August, 2022)

To prove the World Cup win was no fluke, we got a good win against 6-time champions Brazil with debutant Héctor Castro and Real Madrid striker Marco Elizondo on the scoresheet.

Final score: Mexico 2, Brazil 1

away to England (10th September, 2022)

Next up, a trip to Wembley to play the team we beat 2-0 in the quarter finals. We got off to a great start as England gifted us an own goal with just 45 seconds on the clock but a brace from a 33 year-old Theo Walcott soon had us chasing the game. Elizondo levelled the match but we were soon 3-2 down. In the second half, Man Utd defender Rogelio Gonzalez again put us back in it but England were able to snatch a late winner in an enthralling match.

Final score: England 4, Mexico 3

away to Turkey (14th September, 2022)

Following the goal glut of a few days earlier, this was a much quieter game settled by a single goal in our favour from captain Jorge Luis Rizo.

Final score: Turkey 0, Mexico 1

away to China (16th November, 2022)

This game had been re-arranged after a previous friendly prior to the World Cup was cancelled. Injuries had led to ex-Estudiantes Santander striker Jaime Morales making his debut, which he marked with the opening goal. Jorge Luis Rizo added another before half-time and a second half header from Juan Manuel Lomeli wrapped up an easy win.

Final score: China 0, Mexico 3

I tried to bring in a few new faces for these friendlies to replace the 'old guard' of Giovanni dos Santos, Carlos Vela and Andres Guardado. Guardado was a particular concern as he is now 36 years old but there didn't seem to be a decent replacement on the left. The solution came in the shape of a familiar face from Estudiantes Santander as Jadson decided to make himself eligible for the team. In an ironic twist, it seems the point when he gave up on Brazil came when he wasn't called up for the friendly against us in August. After that, he declared his desire to play for Mexico and was promptly drafted into the team. ;)

£24 million from 3 players...not a bad profit there! :D I see the silverware is still flowing freely with a superb win against River Plate :thup: And with your progression in the NACL and league campaign, i'm sure there will be more to follow.

Great work as usual and something i'm trying hard to strive towards.

I also have the Club World Championship this year for an extra target. ;) Even though it's quieter on the club front, the end of the season will be hectic for the national side as the summer 2023 will see the CONCACAF Gold Cup and the Copa America take place. :thup:

Estudiantes Santander 2022 Apetura Play-Offs

Quarter Final (v Monterrey)

On paper, we were heavy favourtites for this one having topped the league with ease while our opponents had struggled to 10th and only reached the 8 team play-off series by virtue of having an easy group. However, Monterrey had given us a tough time in our league game (we needed a late equaliser to get a 2-2 draw) and the same was the case in the first leg here as they hit us with an early goal. We managed to equalise but they re-took the lead by half time and added another goal with a 2nd half penalty. That meant we had to win by 2 goals in the second leg and we managed just that but it was another tough game. We broke the deadlock right at the end of a tight first half through Riveros and then benefitted from a red card for our opponents following a professional foul with Miguel De Los Santos scoring from the resulting free kick. That made it 2-0 on the night, 3-3 on aggregate, with us going through by virtue of our higher league position. Phew!

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Semi Final (v Atlante)

After scraping through, we faced our closest rivals of the last few seasons, Atlante. they were not having a great season, however, with rumours of financial troubles (caused by trying to keep up with us :p) hitting the club and leading to the departure of a few star players for Europe. Playinh at home first, we were able to pick up a comfortable 2-0 win thanks to an individual effort from Jadson and a last minute screamer from distance by Josue Ramos. An own goal by left-back Junior gave Atlante a goal back in the second leg but they never threatened to score again and Miguel De Los Santos popped up 10 minutes from time to give us a 3-1 aggregate win.

Leg 1 | Leg 2

Final (v Pumas)

Once again, we faced Pumas in the final. We dominated the home leg but only managed a 2-0 win with goals from De Los Santos and Jorge Ramirez. We could have scored more but jadson fluffed a first half penalty. Pumas put up more of a fight in the second leg but solid play from our defence kept them at arms' length. De Los Santos was the man to put the tie beyond doubt midway through the second half, securing us our 5th consecutive title!

Leg 1 | Leg 2

And that brings us to the halfway point in the season with 2 trophies already won. We have a crack at 4 more with the clasura, the conclusion of the NACL and the Copa Libertadores all to come. up next though is a trip to Ghana for the Club World Championship. :thup:

Key Players So Far:

As you will ahve gathered from the above reports, Miguel De Los Santos has had a great seaosn so far with some vital goals for us. He is now finally fufilling the potential my scouts saw in him a couple of years ago. Another player rapidly rising to the top is Victor Albarran. He has justified my decision to sell Blanco in the summer with some top class performances and he is now attracting interest from the likes of Real Madrid and Chelsea. I'll be making sure he's signed a new contract before any offers come in though. ;)

Estudiantes Santander, 2022 Club World Championship

To round off the year, we headed off to Ghana for our 2nd appearance in the Club World Championship.

2nd Round (v FAR Rabat)

First up, we faced the African champions. I rested most of my key players in anticipation of an easy game. That was what we got, despite Rabat equalising at one point ans us having a man sent off. 5-1 represented a deserved win, with 4 goals from two of my young strikers, Robles and Perez, who I am trying to give more game time to this season. Robles' red card means his tournamnet is over, however.

Final Score: Estudiantes Santander 5, FAR Rabat 1

Semi Final (v Cruzerio)

We faced the same team we had beaten in the Copa libertadores final just 5 months ealier in the semis. A brace from Lomeli and a long range effort from Jorge Ramirez put us in a strong position before half time. A quiet second half was produced just one more goal, a late header from youth product Mario Maldonado.

Final Score: Estudiantes Santander 4, Cruzerio 0

Final (v Man Utd)

Injuries and suspensions hit me here, especially up front, meaning I had to play a 17 year-old up front. Our attacking potency took a further hit early in the game as Albarran was taken off injured. Leal (the 17 year-old) followed suit minutes later leaving me with no opiton but to play left winger Jadson up front as a striker. I was left with no option when he was sent off in the second half for a second bookable offence. Just to make it worse, Man Utd's winner came in the last minute just as I thought we had made it to extra time. :(

Final Score: Estudiantes Santander 0, Man Utd 1

Shockingly, my players were overlooked for the awards, instead awarded to Cruzerio players on the basis of their 3rd-place play off. :mad:

Mexico, 2022 Review

World Cup: Winners!!

2022 Fixtures & Results

World Rankings Graph - we moved up to 1st after the World Cup but that friendly defeat allowed England to take top spot at the end of the year.

2022 Best XI - surprised a little at some of the inclusions as two of the players (Ramos and Castro) didn't even make the World Cup squad and a further two (Ochoa and De la Rosa) didn't play a single game in the finals.

Overall Best XI - as a sign of how things have changed, 8 new additions were made including Estudiantes Santander stars Juan Manuel Lomeli, Victor Albarran, Jesus Galvan and Gerardo Gonzalez.

2023 will be a busy year for us as we llok to right the wrongs of two years ago in the Gold Cup. Mexico lost in the quarter-finals of the 2021 edition, a result which led to the sacking of the manager and my appointment. Although there are no tough opponents (apart from the U.S.A.), the pressure is on a bit as the FMF and the fans expect a win. Our group is easy enough and only the Americans are likely to give us a tough game.

Gold Cup Group Draw

We have also been invited to join the best South America has to offer in the Copa America. In fact, we will be looking to retain the tile after Mexico won in 2019 (before my tenure). Our group should be easy enough with Bolivia, Paraguay and Chile unlikely to pose much of a threat.

Copa America Group Draw

EDIT: Friendly Match

We played one friendly in February, travelling south to take on Brazil. A good second half performance saw us overturn a 1 goal half-time deficit to win 3-1.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick round-up

In the second half of the 2022/23 season, we trounced all before us as we swept to the clasura title, retained the NACL and won our 4th Libertadores in a row (beating Cruzerio for the third final in succession!).

On the international front, I took a relatively inexperienced squad to the Gold Cup (left out most of the Estudiantes Santnder players as it clashed with the league play-offs and closing stages of the Libertadores) and we won with ease. Even the USA were no match as we had a replay of the World Cup final in the semis and won 5-1. Guatemala were easily beaten in the final. Just over a week later, we were in Chile for the Copa America. Despite picking a full-strength squad, we struggled a bit as we could only draw with Bolivia and Chile. Nevertheless, we reached the knock-out stages and beat USA (again!) and Argentina on our way to a final against Brazil. In that game, it was 1-1 on 90 minutes but Brazil scored in the 5th minute of stoppage time and we lost...

That was a shame as the Copa America was all I needed to complete my trophy collectio. I won't have time to play through another 4 years for another crack (although I was tempted to quit club football and whizz through the internationals).

Sorry for the short update (and no screenies) but I haven't got time for the full type up.

Thanks to all who followed/read this thread & god luck with your careers, wherever they take you! :thup:

Great career DodgeeD. I've loved reading it and it inspired my current save at the minute (although I haven't reached the success you have...yet! ;)).

A great addition to our new forum and I look forward to seeing where your next career game takes you on FM10. :thup:

Archived