The Dugout on the Athletics Track

Greasy Chip Butty

Welcome to my Rotherham United story that starts in the 2009/2010 season after relegation to the Blue Square Premier League. It is played on FM09 using patch 9.0.3 using the updated database for this patch. I am a former international player in who has taken over the club after the sacking of Mark Robins.

This was originlly posted in FM Career Updates until I realised I wanted to make it more of a story. If it seems familiar, thats where you've seen it but there are more things added to make it more story-like now.

Hope you all enjoy, please feel free to comment!

Wednesday 24th June 2009

Rotherham United F.C. is a South Yorkshire football club who have had more than their fair share of highs and lows in the last fifteen years. From the highs of their first ever Wembley cup victory in 1996 (a 1-0 win over Shrewsbury Town to secure the Auto Windscreens Trophy a.k.a. the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy) and their remarkable double promotion from League 2 to the Championship (2000/2001) to the lows of relegation back to League 2 (2006/2007), two stints in administration and three points deductions. These points deductions led to relegation in 2007, a wrecked promotion dream in 2008 and, with the start of the 2008/2009 League 2 season imminent, a season wrecked before it had even started.

Starting on -17 points was far from ideal for the Millers who would fight a relegation battle as a result. With 2009 signalling the 125th anniversary of their formation, the only chunk of light was the misery of others: Bournemouth (-17) and Luton Town’s (-30) points deductions meaning that the Millers were not alone. With Mark Robins at the helm, Rotherham would at least have an opportunity to survive and avoid the trapdoor into Non-League football. They would also play football at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, an athletics arena with a 25,000 capacity, where the atmosphere would be severely diluted by the stadium being only a fifth full at best. The club had left Millmoor after a dispute with the club’s previous owners and were hoping for a new community stadium to be built sometime in the future.

However, it was not to be for Robins and his squad. Despite having the 17th best record in the division, Rotherham finished 5 points from safety and in rock-bottom. In their 125th year, Rotherham was relegated into the Non-League and the Blue Square Premier League. Bournemouth and Luton survived (Bournemouth 16th when they would have been in the Play Offs without the points deduction, Luton 10th with the best record in the division that would have won the title and promotion to League 1) and Barnet would join the Millers in the BSP.

Mark Robins resigned in the June following the relegation leaving the Millers without a manager as the new season approached. So, with the 2009/2010 season due to start in 6 weeks, I was given the task of guiding the Millers back to Football League.

The Millers squad was a useful one that had effectively been the 17th best in League 2 the previous season so there were not too many worries about the quality. The worries came with the strength in depth and the fact that four of the better players were unhappy after relegation and considering moving away from the club: Pablo Mills, Mark Burchill, Andy Warrington and Mark Hudson. With another eight players out of contract and four more already on their way out, including talented young striker Reuben Reid, that left a squad of 25 players of which the majority were either too inexperienced or not good enough.

Thursday 25th June 2009

SKY Sports News

Former England international full back Andrew Morton yesterday shocked many by accepting the manager’s job at Rotherham United on a 4-year contract. SKY SPORTS caught up with the 28 year old to discuss his new role in football and his reasons for taking it.

SKY SPORTS: Thank you for agreeing to talk to us Andy.

ANDREW MORTON: My pleasure.

SS: Many people will be wondering Andy – why Rotherham United?

AM: (laughing) Yes, I’m sure they are. There were several reasons why I wanted to start my managerial career with Rotherham. First and foremost, this is a club close to my heart. I’m hoping the fans will forgive me for being a Blade but after United and Wednesday’s results – to see if they’ve lost – I always look out for the Millers score. They are my second team, they’re my hometown club and a club that I really want to help get back where they belong. Add to that, they’re a forward thinking club under a new regime with Tony Stewart – relegation was a setback that they are determined to recover from as soon as possible – they’ve got good facilities, a loyal fanbase and are an excellent little club.

SS: Did you have offers from any other clubs?

AM: Once I put out a few feelers about getting into management, there were a few clubs who showed an interest but none that excited me as much as this one.

SS: Can you tell us who?

AM: I don’t think I should. A League 1 club and four League 2 clubs. Is that OK?

SS: Yes, that’s fine. So what are your expectations for your time at Rotherham?

AM: The club is on the brink of exciting times in the near future and I am determined to be part of that. Relegation is a small step back but there are plans for a new stadium in the next few years. My job is to ensure first and foremost that the stadium opens with league football.

SS: There are many that are suggesting that this is a stepping stone to bigger things up the road in the centre of Sheffield ... What do you have to say about that?

AM: Look, I can’t hide that I’m a Blade but to suggest that I’m only with the Millers to get the United job is an insult to Rotherham. Yes, of course, one day I will be interested in the United job. But the fact is that nobody knows yet if I am any good at this managing lark. If I am and it brings interest from others, we’ll deal with that later. But right now, I am focused on Rotherham United and Rotherham United only.

SS: What is the aim for the season?

AM: Promotion ... It’s that simple.

SS: Do you think that is possible?

AM: Of course, if I didn’t think so I’d be in the wrong job. Last season, without the points deductions, the club would have finished somewhere between 15th and 17th in League 2. We were too good to go down but the powers that be relegated us with their judgements. I’m not going to comment on that but if we were good enough to finish mid-table in League 2, then we’re clearly going to be strong in the BSP.

SS: Will there be many changes in personnel?

AM: I’m going to have a good long look at the squad when they return from their holidays. I’m aware of a number of players who are leaving and a number of players who are out of contract so I will sit down with the coaching staff here to discuss those players, their replacements and whether or not to offer some of them new deals. I’m sure there’ll be interest in one or two of the lads as we have League 2 quality players. My first job is to sort out my backroom staff and go from there.

SS: Finally Andy, what kind of football can we expect from a team managed by Andrew Morton?

AM: You can expect to see attacking football with – hopefully – plenty of goals and action. I’m a believer that football is about entertainment and if I had the choice between 1-0 and 4-3, I’d take 4-3 every time.

SS: Thanks for your time and good luck with the Millers!

Thanks Wimb, glad to see someone reading!

Friday 26th June 2009

The squad needed a major revamp but I knew that there would be plenty of opportunities to bring out-of-contract players in as June ended and July began. My early days at Rotherham manager were spent sifting through the squad, sorting my backroom staff and getting to grips with the financial circumstances.

Assistant manager, John Breckin, left the club as I felt there were others out there with better coaching attributes than him as well as ability to judge players. Both physios, Dennis Pettitt and Ian Bailey, and both scouts, Tim Henderson and Alan Crawford, were allowed to leave as I felt there were better available. Finally, the youth coach, Steve Thornber, was sent on his way as well.

With only three coaches allowed, I knew I needed an assistant manager who had some ability as a coach as well as being able to judge the ability and potential of players. Byron Norton ticked most of those boxes – good attacking and defending coach for this level and the ability to assist me with the ability of my current players and future signings. Simon Tracey, the goalkeeping coach and former long-term keeper at Sheffield United, accepted an offer of a new contract from me which saw him become a normal coach, utilising his tactical and defensive coaching abilities as well. Nick Daws was the clubs fitness coach and he continued in that role which left me with just the more technical and mental elements of coaching to cover. Andrew Williams came in to fill that role and contribute to others. With a new physio, Dan Clancy, and three new scouts – Ronnie Wilde, Danny Thompson and Tom Shinn – also brought in, my backroom was filled.

The scouts and assistant manager were immediately given scouting missions. Norton, Thompson and Shinn were each given a list of players to report on – around a 100 players in total – whilst Wilde was sent off to find some young gems hiding in the youth teams of others. After a fortnight of hard work, the scouting reports were in and the initial transfers were starting to come closer as the start of pre-season approached.

A number of players were released – I decided against keeping any of the players whose contracts had finished – as I sought to trim the wage bill in the knowledge that I wanted to bring in at least ten new signings who would all want decent money. The remaining players were:

STEVE CANN (21)

A young keeper who would be useful backup this season and has the potential to improve in the future.

MARK LYNCH (27)

A two footed full back who offered me options as a right or left back.

IAN SHARPS (28)

Experienced central defender who would be at the heart of the defence as well as the vice-captain of the club.

PABLO MILLS (25)

A central defender or defensive midfielder who was unhappy but I was desperate to retain him. The club captain and considered my best player by Norton.

ANDREW NICHOLAS (25)

Left back who offers attacking options as well. Would suit the tactics that I planned to use.

STEPHEN BROGAN (21)

A young left sided player from the Millers academy. Best position is as a left winger but can also do a job as a left back.

DAVE BRAMMER (34)

Veteran defensive midfielder signed by Robins in January of previous season. A vital member of the team and another who would suit my tactics perfectly.

DANNY HARRISON (26)

Versatile midfielder who wouldn’t be the first name on my team-sheet but would offer me cover and a reliable backup option.

ALEX BURGESS (16)

A young man who I discovered in the U18 squad. Already capable of playing in my first team squad as a left winger or a central midfielder and the potential to be a Championship player in the future according to Nick Daws.

MARK HUDSON (28)

Another unhappy player who I was desperate to retain. Although Burgess would be capable of taking his place in the squad, I felt that Burgess might need some time out on loan and some rest time so keeping the central midfielder had to be a priority for me.

RYAN TAYLOR (21)

A young striker with potential to play in League 1 in the future. Unlikely to play much unless I cannot bring any other strikers in but a prospect that I wanted to keep.

At this point, Mark Burchill and Andy Warrington – the other unhappy players – were in my plans but as my scouts brought information in about other players, I realised that I could move them on. With Reuben Reid (Cheltenham 55K), Marc Joseph (Macclesfield 3K), Tom Cahill (Hyde FREE) and Michael Cummins (Forest 4K) already on their way, I also allowed veteran Mustapha Hadji (Oxford 1K), Omar Garcia and Nick Fenton (both to Mansfield FREE) to leave the club as well as the out-of-contract players. I’d also allowed fourteen younger players to leave as they were unlikely to ever be good enough to play for the Millers in the present or the future.

With a new parent club in Championship Derby County and around a hundred scout reports to view, I set about rebuilding my squad ready for an assault on the Blue Square Premier League.

Monday 13th July 2009

With the players returning on July 13th from their holidays and the first friendly, a tough home encounter with Huddersfield Town, scheduled for the 17th, I had to make sure that the bones of my squad was in place as soon as possible. However, no players had agreed to join me as pre-season training began and it seemed that every player who I wanted to sign was also wanted by half of League 1 and League 2 as well. I missed out on a few players quickly and decided to simply offer contracts to all the players who I thought would be good signings and hope that a number of them did end up at the club.

The first player in was an excellent signing and an unexpected one as well. Having seen his contract run out at Reading after a number of loan moves, Nigerian international central defender Sam Sodje agreed a deal to join the Millers. I’d also been surprised to see him arrive for only £850 per week.

Two more surprising signings followed from the higher echelons of the game. Championship Norwich City allowed former Manchester United winger Luke Chadwick to leave on a free transfer and West Bromwich Albion striker Bartosz Slusarski also left his club after missing out on a new contract. Both were tempted to join Rotherham but on big money for a club in the BSP – both demanded £1800 per week. However, I had some room to manoeuvre in my wage budget after the chopping of around 25 players from the squad since my arrival.

Striker Adebayo Akinfenwa joined after leaving Northampton Town, veteran goalkeeper David Lucas arrived from Leeds and Welsh international defender, Richard Duffy, arrived after his Portsmouth contract ended. It seemed that my international reputation as a player was helping me as a manager. Surprisingly, there were a lack of offers from other clubs despite the interest. Versatile forward player, Andy Barcham, had failed to make an impact at Tottenham and signed despite the interest from former loan club, Gillingham.

Three more players arrived ahead of the Huddersfield game as well as Derby sending their first loan player. Goalkeeper and young prospect, Craig Samson, arrived from Hereford United, James Chester arrived from Manchester United after the central defender failed to make an appearance at Old Trafford and Sunderland striker David Dowson arrived in time for the first friendly. Aleksander Prijovic was the youngster that Derby loaned out to Rotherham and the right winger cum striker turned out to be a useful signing as well for no wages.

And with eleven new faces at the club, we began our pre-season campaign at the Don Valley Stadium against League 1 Huddersfield Town.

Friday 17th July 2009

ROTHERHAM ADVERTISER - SPORT

Frank Summers reports:

New Rotherham United manager, Andrew Morton, has this week made his mark on the Millers squad as he prepares for his – and Rotherham’s – first taste of the Blue Square Premier League. With a hint of his international contacts showing, the rookie manager has brought in eleven new signings who should be amongst the stars of the division since Monday and is known to be looking for at least three more in the coming days and weeks.

The Rotherham Advertiser gives you the lowdown on the new signings and the views of experts as well as Morton himself.

WHO IS HE?

The first signing is Sam Sodje, a free transfer from Championship, Reading.

MORE INFORMATION?

He is one of the Sodje brothers that are currently playing in English football – his brother Akpo is perhaps the best known to Millers fans due to his connections with Wednesday – and has played on two occasions for Nigeria. He is a 30 year-old centre back who is dominant in the air and strong in the tackle.

WHAT DOES THE MANAGER SAY ABOUT HIM?

‘I’m delighted to have signed Sam who will be a rock at the centre of our defence for many years to come. You don’t sign for a club like Reading for no reason and it shows our ambition that we have convinced him to drop down to the BSP.’

WHAT DO THE ADVERTISER EXPERTS THINK?

An excellent signing who will immediately become one of the club’s best players. 9/10

WHO IS HE?

Luke Chadwick is another free transfer, this time from Championship Norwich City.

MORE INFORMATION?

Chadwick is an out and out right winger who recently left Norwich after failing to hold down a first team place. He started his career as a youngster at Manchester United before joining Reading and the 28-year old has 13 Under 21 caps for England. He is a pacy winger who crosses well and should create chances galore in the BSP.

‘Luke brings not only bags and bags of quality as a right winger but also masses of experience that will benefit the younger players at the club. He has played at the top level with Manchester United, in the Premiership and even in some Champions League matches, and helped Reading to promotion. As a left back myself, I know he is the type of winger I wouldn’t like to face!’

Another excellent signing to fill a problem area for Rotherham with bags of experience. 10/10

WHO IS HE?

Next up is Bartosz Slusarski, a player recently released by West Bromwich Albion.

MORE INFORMATION?

A player that has never quite made a breakthrough at the Baggies, Slusarski is a striker with potential but remains unproven. Having said that, his goalscoring record for the reserves suggests that he should be a success in this league. Played on loan at Wednesday a couple of seasons back and scored the goal that kept them up ... but don’t hold that against him!

‘Bartosz should score goals for fun at this level and I believe he has the ability to play at League 1 level. Hopefully, his goals will help us get there in time.’

A good all round striker who should score plenty of goals. 8/10

WHO IS HE?

Adebayo Akinfenwa, a striker who spent last season at Northampton Town.

MORE INFORMATION?

The Cobblers were desperate to keep ‘Bayo’ at Sixfields but he wanted to return North where he spent a happy time with Doncaster Rovers in the past. He scored goals as they were promoted from what is now the BSP to League 1 and remains an excellent finisher particularly in the air.

‘’Bayo’ has lost his way a little of late but we hope to get him sorted out and scoring goals again. He has the ability to cause devastation at this level and I know he is determined to show what a good striker he is.’

A bit of a gamble but Akinfenwa is a proven goalscorer at this level. Could be worth the risk. 7/10

WHO IS HE?

Veteran goalkeeper, David Lucas, joins the club from Leeds United.

MORE INFORMATION?

Lucas is a goalkeeper that has overcome serious injuries to return to football after 3/4 of injury plagued years. He is now back fit and injury-free and will be hoping to regain the form which saw him rise through the leagues with Preston and play in a Play Off Final at the Millennium Stadium. An excellent shot stopper.

‘It surprised me to learn that David is only 31 which makes him an even better bargain as he has at least 6/7 years left. He is an experienced keeper and we need that with our young goalkeepers to guide them in their early years.’

Another solid signing, Lucas will be number 1 for the Millers. 8/10

WHO IS HE?

Richard Duffy joins the club after leaving Premiership Portsmouth.

MORE INFORMATION?

Duffy has played for the Welsh national side 13 times despite the tender age of 23 but has not featured since being dropped in 2007. The right back will be hoping to get back on track and force his way into Wales’ plans in the future. He possesses a superb long throw as well as all the defensive qualities you’d look for in a right back.

‘That we can attract a player with 13 caps for Wales shows our ambition at this club. Duffy is a quality player who will only get better in time and should be able to return to at least League 1 level in the future. At least. I’m delighted to have him here.

13 national caps says the Millers have landed a star for this level. 10/10

WHO ARE THE OTHERS?

Andy Barcham is the pick of the other five players confirmed so far, a young forward from Tottenham. Barcham has been on loan at Leyton Orient and Gillingham in Leagues 1 and 2 in the past and played as a right winger where he has been effective. 9/10

Craig Samson is a young keeper from Hereford United who should provide backup to the team this season and begin to challenge Lucas in the future. Definitely one for the future, Hereford was gutted to lose him. 6/10 (and rising)

James Chester is a central defender signed from Manchester United on a free transfer. He never broke into the first team at Old Trafford and, strangely, was never sent out on loan. Not much is known about him but he comes with a good reputation. 6/10

David Dowson is a striker signed on a free transfer from Sunderland where he never made a first team appearance. He had a successful loan spell at Chesterfield two seasons ago and scored 3 times in 8 games so he should score goals at this level. 7/10

Aleksander Prijovic is a season-long loan signing from Derby County, a young Serbian striker that has been capped at Under 19 level. Just 19, he is highly thought of at Pride Park who feel he needs some experience to improve his game. May not be the last loan signing to arrive from the Rams this season. 6/10

Friday 17th July 2009

ROTHERHAM UNITED (1) 1-1 (0) HUDDERSFIELD TOWN

Pre-Season Friendly, July 17th 2009, Attendance: 1346

An excellent first half performance from the Millers saw them take an early lead which really should have been added to by half time against a strong Huddersfield team. The first goal of pre-season arrived after six minutes. A good run from Slusarski allowed him to find strike partner Barcham on the edge of the area. His shot was deflected off Butler and flew into the corner of Glennon’s goal. The goal was classed as own goal so Barcham’s effort must have been going wide. Despite several good chances, Rotherham couldn’t add to their lead and in the second half, the Terriers stronger bench told. However, it took a wonder goal to equalise as Spencer hit a 25-yard shot into the top corner of Lucas’ goal. Huddersfield had the chances to win it afterwards but didn’t take them and it finished all square.

Next up: Blyth Spartans (a), July 21st 2009

Tuesday 21st July 2009

More new signings followed the draw with Huddersfield as the final touches were put to the squad. Having awoken to the potential of loans from Derby County, I had made several offers to members of their reserve team. I was unsuccessful with audacious bids for Claude Davis and Robbie Savage but right back, Jason Beardsley, and left-sided forward, Steven Davies, both joined on a full-season loan the same as Prijovic. We were searching for other potential loan players to add a little more experience to the midfield which would also allow us to let Mark Hudson leave. One attack-minded central midfielder that came in was Philip Appiah from Preston North End, a free transfer but another young player. With the wage bill a few thousand over budget but the squad strong, I was also actively trying to move on Burchill and Warrington as well as Hudson. However, the second friendly arrived with no further incomings or outgoings.

Tuesday 21st July 2009

BLYTH SPARTANS (0) 0–2 (1) ROTHERHAM UNITED

Pre-Season Friendly, July 21st 2009, Attendance: 251

A solid performance against a Blyth Spartans side from the division below – the Blue Square North. A goal in each half sealed the victory but a worrying second half performance again as Blyth took control in the final 30 minutes. The first goal came on 8th minute when left back Andy Nicholas’ shot was parried by the keeper and Harrison bundled the ball home. After a simple finish for the first, the second was a screamer. Davies had the ball on the left and laid the ball back to Harrison who fired the ball into the top left corner from 20 yards for his second goal.

Next up: Sheffield Wednesday (h), July 23rd 2009

Wednesday 22nd July 2009

With two pre-season friendly matches completed and two good results secured, a look at what the Millers fans are saying on the unofficial club forum: www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk

Absolutely superb performance for the first hour against Huddersfield who ain’t a bad side. Morton is a great appointment! UTM!

I’m not sure yet. Pre-season means nowt. He can bring in all the star players but can he manage them?
The performance against Hudders says he can. They would be a Championship team had they not been beaten by Scunny in the League 1 Play Off. We’ve finally arrived in the new millennium!
If tha’ says so. AM hasn’t convinced me yet.
Come on Millers!

A great start to the season, great signings. Slusarski is gonna be an absolute beast!

Am very impressed by what I saw at DVS last Friday. Morton knows what he’s doing he’s been learning from some of the best. Bring on the Wednesday!

Wednesday will murder us at DVS tonight. Akinfenwa couldn’t hit a bulls **** with a shovel if it were tied to gatepost. What have we signed him for?
Love it Frank!! Bayo is a crap signing – if he were any good he’d still be at Northampton wunt he?
He got 11 goals in League 1 last season and Northampton tried to get him to stay. He’ll score an hatful in the BSP.
He’ll score for fun in the BSP. What are we doing here?!!!!

Correct. No League 1 striker ends up in the BSP if he is any good still!
Just got back from Blyth, we made hard work of that.

Haven’t been but apparently Danny Harrison’s second was a screamer. Any good?
Aye, it weren’t bad. We didn’t play as well as we did against Hudders though. Couldn’t tell they were a league below us.

Thursday 23rd July 2009

One of the unhappy players finally left Rotherham the following day as former-Scotland international, Mark Burchill, made a £50,000 move to Exeter City. This was money that would help to make up the shortfall in wages for a while where we were £6000 per week over budget. However, I believed that the squad I had built would justify that money in the long run. Sheffield Wednesday manager, Brian Laws, tried to stir up problems ahead of our pre-season friendly and I couldn’t resist telling him that we would love to beat the Owls. As a lifelong Blades fan, it would also mean a lot to me to put one over the Wednesday boys. My final touches to the squad would be centred around some cover for Luke Chadwick on the right wing and some cover in the midfield area as I wanted to avoid putting too much pressure on the youngster, Burgess. I made an offer for Jason Mycoe who was available on a free transfer after leaving Southend United and a loan offer, my fourth long term loan I hoped, for Manchester City’s midfielder, Andrew Tutte. The loan offer for Tutte was accepted minutes before the friendly against Wednesday and it was now up to the player to agree.

Thursday 23rd July 2009

ROTHERHAM UNITED (0) 2-2 (2) SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Pre-Season Friendly, July 23rd 2009, Attendance: 12330

A massive crowd inside the Don Valley to witness a first half of domination from the Championship visitors but an improved second half performance from the home side which resulted in a frantic last ten minutes. With Akpo up against Sam for the pride of the Sodje family, it was Akpo who won within ten minutes when he turned his brother and fired home from the edge of the area. It was amazing that it took Wednesday half an hour to make it two; Jeffers capitalising on indecision in the area and slotting home past Lucas. A more even game in the second half but it took until the 81st minute for a miscued cross from Lynch to fly into the Wednesday goal. And then as injury time began, Chadwick won a penalty which Akinfenwa slotted home to level the local derby.

Next up: Preston North End (h), July 27th 2009

Thanks again Wimb. I'm posting this stuff quick as it is what I posted on the other forum with a few additions, i.e. the media stuff. Glad you're enjoying. I'll slow down my posts soon as I'm playing the season. Want to keep a few matches in front!

Friday 24th July 2009

After the pre-season friendly with Wednesday, I decided to have a look at the club’s official website, www.themillers.co.uk, to see what things were being said on there about my new side and their performances.

w w w . t h e m i l l e r s . c o . u k

MILLERS IN DERBY FIGHTBACK TO EARN DRAW!

Championship side and local rivals Sheffield Wednesday are the latest high profile visitors to the Don Valley Stadium to leave with a very different opinion of the new look Rotherham United as The Millers struck twice in the final ten minutes to shock Wednesday and earn a famous result in the club’s history.

There was no hint of the drama to come in a first half hour where the Championship side dominated the home team and showed their class. It took Wednesday just 11 minutes to take the lead and when it came it was no surprise that the younger Sodje brother, Akpo of Wednesday, got the better of Sam in the area and fired the ball past David Lucas.

Rotherham United 0-
1 Sheffield Wednesday (A. Sodje 11)

Wednesday continued to dominate the Millers and created several chances to add to their lead with McAllister, Jeffers, Sodje and Tudgay all guilty of missing them with David Lucas in fine form on more than one occasion. Rotherham was defending for their lives and seemed to be over the worst of it when the second goal arrived just before half time. Fracis Jeffers managed to win the ball in the Millers penalty area and he twisted left and right before stroking the ball into the bottom corner past Lucas’ left hand.

Rotherham United 0-
2 Sheffield Wednesday (Jeffers 42)

As half time approached, the gulf in class had been all too obvious with Championship Wednesday looking set for more goals in the second half. The Millers were happy to get in at half time at 2-0 as they desperately defended to avoid a third goal before the whistle.

HALF TIME

Rotherham United 0-2 Sheffield Wednesday
We’ve bossed that first half and not given Rotherham a look in so far so I’m really pleased. Hopefully we can keep it up in the second half and kill the game off as soon as possible.
We’ve not really dealt with the forward four of Johnson, Sodje, Jeffers and Tudgay and we need to get a lot tighter and be a lot stronger at the back. I’m going to make a few changes and give the boys a bit of a kick up the backside to get them back in the mood. We want to show Wednesday what we can do in the second half.

With the second half kicked off, the game was much more even and although Wednesday continued to cause the Millers defence problems, The Owls’ back four was worried on occasions by Slusarksi and Prijovic at first and then Dowson and Akinfenwa as substitutes. However, neither side could find a goal and the game appeared to be drifting towards a scrappy conclusion and a comfortable win for the Wednesday.

However with 9 minutes left, a glimmer of hope for the Millers. It was a complete fluke but that didn’t matter to the majority of the bumper 12500 crowd as Mark Lynch’s mishit cross drifted over the goalkeeper and into the corner of the net to make it 1-2.

Rotherham United 1
-2 Sheffield Wednesday
(Lynch 81)

After the goal, the game was all Rotherham and Akinfenwa and Dowson both missed superb opportunities to level the game and Wednesday defended their one goal lead. With the clock ticking into injury time, substitute Luke Chadwick teased Gilbert on the right and the left back hung out a leg to trip the winger just inside the penalty area for a stoppage time penalty. The pressure was on Akinfenwa and he didn’t disappoint, smashing the ball to Cockerill’s right to level the game at 2 apiece which is how it finished.

FULL TIME

Rotherham United 2
-2 Sheffield Wednesday
(Akinfenwa pen 90)
That was a great feeling in front of such a big crowd to hit that penalty there. We maybe didn’t deserve the draw on chances but we kept going at them and in the end, we got a bit of luck that maybe we earned.

Sunday 26th July 2009

The promotion odds were published by SkyBet and they made Wrexham 5-4 favourites to win promotion back into the Football League. Our odds of 7-4 made us second favourites with Cambridge United, Burton Albion, York City and Kidderminster Harriers the teams tipped to challenge us at the top. Our fourth long term loan signing was completed with the acquisition of Andrew Tutte from Manchester City, a midfielder who could play either the defensive or forward thinking role. Our squad numbers were submitted with just one more player required to complete the squad:

1. David Lucas (GK); 2. Richard Duffy (RB); 3. Andy Nicholas (LB); 4. Pablo Mills (DM/CB); 5. Sam Sodje (CB); 6. James Chester (CB); 7. Luke Chadwick (RW); 8. Philip Appiah (CM); 9. Bartosz Slusarski (ST); 10. Andy Barcham (ST); 11. Steven Davies (LW); 12. Jason Beardsley (RB); 13. Craig Samson (GK); 14. Stephen Brogan (LW); 15. Ian Sharps (CB); 16. Andy Tutte (DM/CM); 17. Adebayo Akinfenwa (ST); 18. David Dowson (ST); 19. Mark Lynch (RB/LB); 20. Dave Brammer (DM); 21. Danny Harrison (DM/CM); 22. Aleksander Prijovic (ST); 23. Steve Cann (GK); 24. Alex Burgess (LW/CM); 25. Ryan Taylor (ST)

And the day before the Preston North End friendly at Don Valley Stadium, the final signing was complete as Jason Mycoe, a midfielder who can play on the right or through the centre, signed with the club with squad number 26.

Sunday 26th July 2009

ROTHERHAM ADVERTISER - SPORT

Frank Summers reports:

MILLERS LOOKING TO BOUNCE STRAIGHT BACK!

Under new manager and former England international full back, Andy Morton, Rotherham United have managed to attract new faces ahead of their first season in Non-League football. Looking relaxed in his sharp suit, Andy seems ready for the challenge of the Blue Square Premier League.

“Of course it’s going to be difficult,” the amicable 28 year old tell us. “Everybody is going to want to beat Rotherham United. Everybody is going to want to win at Don Valley. And everybody is going to want to put one over the former England player who thinks he knows what he is doing!”

Several BSP managers have already indicated that Morton might find himself out of his depth in Non-League football. And whether it is true or these managers are playing mind games, Andy knows he needs to prove himself quickly.

“I am under no illusions. My coaching staff and I are telling the lads a hundred times a day that they’re going to have to be on top of their game to get back out of this division. We have no divine right to win the BSP. We’ve got to earn the right. I think we have the best squad in the division but we’ve seen good sides beaten before because they didn’t respect their opponents, because they didn’t earn the right to let their class tell. We won’t do that. That is definite.”

Morton is a young manager who has been there and done it at the highest level. He took part in the 2002 and 2006 World Cup’s with England as a squad member as well as the 2004 European Championships. He played at the top level with Everton and Sheffield United before injury forced him into management aged just 26. Does this make him even more determined to succeed?

“Definitely. I can’t change what has happened to me but I know that I have had to retire ten years earlier than planned. I have some unfinished business with football and I intend to be a success as a manager. My first target is League 2 with Rotherham United. This is a smashing little club that should be heading for League 1 not in the BSP. I intend to put that right.”

Some experts aren’t so sure though. Kettering Town manager, Mark Cooper – who Rotherham face first in the BSP – dismissed Andy’s appointment as a publicity stunt whilst experienced Forest Green Rovers manager, Jim Harvey, predicted that Morton would be gone by Christmas. What does Andy make of their comments?

“People are going to try and make a name off of me. It’s human nature. I’ve no hard feelings towards Harvey or Cooper. Hopefully, I’ll let the lads do my talking for me and I’ll get 12 points from Kettering and Forest Green this season!”

There are examples of big-name former international players making successful managers in the Non-League. Former Welsh international Dean Saunders has managed Wrexham since their relegation to the BSP and former England international and son of the late, great Brian, Nigel Clough is the manager at Burton Albion. Both are impressed with Morton’s appointment at Rotherham.

“It’s good to see another international player not scared to come down to this level. Many great managers started in Non-League football and are now doing well for themselves,” suggests Saunders, who knew Andy as a youngster at Bramall Lane. “Martin O’Neill, Neil Warnock, even Sir Alex started off at the bottom and worked their way up. And now look at those three.”

Morton has brought in an array of talent that wouldn’t look out of place in League 2, maybe even League 1. During pre-season, the new players have earned excellent draws with Huddersfield Town and Sheffield Wednesday already that showed they could compete at a much higher level. What does Andy think the key will be?

“Attitude. If we have the right attitude, we should see our quality shine through and we should be able to work our way through to the top of this league. The road ahead is a tough one and we’ll not have it all our own way. We’ll need some luck. But if our attitude is right, I’m confident that we’ve got the talent to win this league.”

The bookies agree making the Millers favourites with Wrexham to win the division and earn promotion. With only one automatic promotion place available, a good start will be essential. Andy Morton seems up for the challenge; will his squad be the same?

Monday 27th July 2009

ROTHERHAM UNITED (1) 1-3 (1) PRESTON NORTH END

Pre-Season Friendly, July 27th 2009, Attendance: 1536

A better first half performance from Rotherham in their final home pre-season friendly before the start of the season. The Millers matched PNE from the start and, after Preston had a goal disallowed early, Rotherham took the lead on 24 minutes. Youngster Burgess won the loose ball on the left wing and laid the ball into the path of debutant Tutte who fired past Lonergan to make it 1-0. A fortunate touch from Brown from a Jones cross-shot got the Championship side level before half time. Within four minutes of the restart, Nicholson rode two challenges to place the ball home and make it 2-1 to PNE. Debutant Mycoe was forced off injured before Fairhurst fired home a third for the Lancashire side on 65 minutes. The Millers had opportunities late on but couldn’t find a way back into the game as it ended 3-1. However, it had been another good performance against a Championship side that promised much for the season.

Next up: Matlock Town (a), August 1st 2009

Saturday 1st August 2009

MATLOCK TOWN (0) 0-2 (0) ROTHERHAM UNITED

Pre-Season Friendly, August 1st 2009, Attendance: 248

Philip Appiah returned from international duties with Canada to make his Rotherham United debut at Causeway Lane in the final pre-season friendly at affiliate club, Matlock Town. After a very poor first half performance, a 51st minute penalty was needed to give the Millers the lead, tucked away by 16 year old Burgess. In the 64th minute, Dowson made it 2-0 with a neat finish in the box. That was how the game finished with Matlock having several chances and both of Rotherham’s keepers, Cann and Samson, needing to be in good form to keep them out. A below par performance to end a promising pre-season.

Wednesday 5th August 2009

With the new season days away, a flurry of transfer activity at the Don Valley Stadium as four players looked set to move out of the club. Various teams made offers to take David Haggerty and Laith Bader on free transfers with Mark Hudson and Andy Warrington attracting bids of £10000 from League 2 sides interested in them too. Bader chose to move to Prescot Cables, Warrington chose a move to SPL side Dundee United, Hudson to Meadow Lane and Notts County and finally, Haggerty moved to Burscough. Dave Brammer was named captain of the club replacing Pablo Mills whilst he made decisions about his future at Rotherham with Ian Sharps continuing as vice captain of the club. The news of Brammer’s appointment pleased the rest of the squad who thought him a worthy choice.

So the start of the season at Rockingham Road in Kettering drew near. The media were predicting that The Poppies would finish around 15th this season after a 13th place last season. Their home record had not been good last season and it would be something they’d be looking to start putting right against us that Saturday. It would be a tough place to start the campaign.

The board were not in the mood to accept failure either with a demand for the Blue Square Premier League title as well as the F.A. Trophy. No pressure then!

Friday 7th August 2009

THE B.B.C. GUIDE TO THE BLUE SQUARE PREMIER – SEASON 2009/2010

Tomorrow sees the kick off in the Non-League football season as the Blue Square Premier, North and South get on the way at 3p.m. A far cry from the Premier League and the Champions League, attendances look set to boom again as fans look for cheaper alternatives to the polished Premiership football we’re so used to seeing on T.V. The BBC gives you the lowdown on the new Blue Square Premier League season.

AFC WIMBLEDON:

The team formed in the aftermath of Wimbledon’s move to Milton Keynes (MK Dons) continue to catch their former incarnates after a comfortable promotion from the Blue Square South as champions by 12 points last season. Will need to consolidate this season but should be safe with the goals of Jon Main and five new signings. BBC says: 19th

BARNET:

The London club were relegated from League 2 despite Bournemouth and Luton starting -17 and -30 points behind them at the start of the season. Keeping want-away winger Albert Adomah happy could be crucial to the Bees hopes of a promotion challenge this season. BBC says: 5th

BURTON ALBION:

Under the management of Nigel Clough, son of Brian, Burton have made steady progress for the last few seasons. However, now there is some expectation of a promotion push after last season’s near miss on the Play Offs when the Brewers missed out on goal difference. With five new signings and Shaun Harrad’s goals, expect them to go close again. BBC says: 6th

CAMBRIDGE UNITED:

Beaten in last season’s Play Off Semi Finals, the U’s will be hoping t go one better this time round. Gary Brabin was awarded 3rd place in the manager of the season awards last year and is a manager who knows this league inside out. BBC says: 4th

CRAWLEY TOWN:

After their twelfth place finish last season, the Midlanders will be hoping to move onwards again towards the Play Off spots this time. A settled squad could see them surprise some. BBC says: 12th

EASTBOURNE BORO:

Eastbourne – the home of many retired folk – have a young side who coped well last season to finish clear of relegation in 18th. However, they may find it more difficult this season with no new faces. BBC says: 22nd and relegated.

EBBSFLEET:

The internet run club have made four new signings this season as the club look to improve on last season’s 15th place. The new signings should improve them but not enough for a Play Off spot. BBC says: 13th

FLEETWOOD TOWN:

After a victory in the Blue Square North Play Off Final in May, Fleetwood will be looking to survive in the BSP this season. Their 1-0 win over Gatehead at Burton’s Pirelli Stadium gives them that opportunity but it will be a long hard season this time out. BBC says: 24th and relegated.

FOREST GREEN ROVERS:

Under the experience of 51 year old Jim Harvey, Rovers should build on last season’s 16th finish and be comfortable in the middle reaches again. However, they need to improve the squad if they are to challenge towards the top. BBC says: 14th

GRAYS:

After surviving relegation on goal difference last time out, a summer of not much activity means that Grays will probably be battling for survival again this time out. They should manage it but it could be close again. BBC says: 18th

HISTON:

Building on their cup shock over Leeds in 2008, Histon overachieved in the BSP last season as the little village club finished 9th, three points from the Play Offs. Going better is a tall order but the club makes a habit of surprising people. Don’t write them off! BBC says: 11th

KETTERING TOWN:

With five new signings after their 13th place finish last season, Kettering are an unknown quantity. If the signings gel, they could challenge for the Play Offs but are likely to end up in mid-table again. BBC says: 15th

KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS:

With ‘BSP Team of the Season’ left winger Michael McGrath remaining at the Harriers and joined by five new signings, Kiddy could be one to watch. Expect another Play Off push after they missed out by 2 points last season. BBC says: 9th

NORTHWICH VICTORIA:

After surviving by 2 points last season, the pressure will be on Victoria to get off to a better start this season and avoid any last day worries. A couple of new signings should see them a little more comfortable this time. BBC says: 17th

ROTHERHAM UNITED:

With former England international Andy Morton taking charge, Rotherham will be looking to bounce back. Have been busy in the transfer market and should have too much for the rest of the league. BBC says: 1st and promoted.

SALISBURY:

Finished 14th last season after a good finish to the campaign but may struggle more this season after losing several first team players in the summer. Expect a struggle. BBC says: 20th

STALYBRIDGE CELTIC:

Champions of the Blue Square North last season by 5 points, Celtic will looking to stabilise in the BSP this season. A relegation battle looks likely unless new signings are made. BBC says: 21st and relegated.

STEVENAGE BORO:

Keeping hold of Eddie Anaclet is important after his goal of the season heroics last time out. Boro finished 10th last season and were disappointed not to challenge more. A Play Off push is likely this season. BBC says: 8th

TEAM BATH:

The final newcomer to the BSP is Team Bath, the university team from the Blue Square South who won their place in the BSP with a penalty Play Off win over Basingstoke. Likely to struggle. BBC says: 23rd and relegated.

TORQUAY UNITED:

Big things were expected last season but never arrived as the club missed out on the Play Offs on the final day of the season. Things don’t seem to be improving with no new signings and Torquay are drifting away from the challengers. BBC says: 11th

WEYMOUTH:

With their well documented financial problems sorted, Weymouth will look to improve on last season’s 7th place this time around. Keeping Stuart Beavon is key to their chances of success. BBC says: 10th

WOKING:

Another unknown quantity with several new signings. Last season, Woking finished mid-table but don’t look likely to improve on it. BBC says: 16th

WREXHAM:

After defeat to Oxford United in the Play Off Final last season, Dragons boss Dean Saunders set his sights on the title this time around. Missed out on title to Rushden and Diamonds last season and could be close between them and Rotherham this time. BBC says: 2nd and Play Off Winners.

YORK CITY:

After Play Off Semi Final defeat to Wrexham last season, York should challenge again this time round after four decent new signings over the summer. With Adam Yates staying at the club as well, York should be a danger and should make the Play Offs once more. BBC says: 5th

Saturday 8th August 2009

TEAM NEWS: Kettering Town vs. Rotherham United, Blue Square Premier League

Kettering midfielder John Dempster misses the game with a pulled hamstring that ruled him out of the last few games of last season. Other than that The Poppies are at full strength for the first game of the new season.

Rotherham start their new life with Andy Morton in the BSP with two injury problems. Andy Nicholas misses out with a damaged neck whilst Jason Mycoe, who has been struggling with a strained neck, will not be risked yet.

The Millers are clear favourites with SkyBet with odds of 4/6 on an away victory.

Thanks for the positive comment 10-3, Mark, Simon and cromscott: Glad you're enjoying.

Saturday 8th August 2009

KETTERING TOWN vs. ROTHERHAM UNITED

Blue Square Premier League, August 8th 2009, Rockingham Road

With Andy Nicholas out of the game with his neck injury, my biggest selection dilemma was at left back where I had a choice between Mark Lynch and Stephen Brogan. Lynch prefers to play as a right back but would be the solid choice; Brogan who would normally play on the left wing would offer more going forward. In the end, I decided to go with Brogan with the intention of using Lynch to close the game out late on if needed. So, my first Millers team for a competitive fixture looked like this:

GK: David Lucas

RB: Richard Duffy

LB: Stephen Brogan

CB: Sam Sodje

CB: Pablo Mills

DM: Dave Brammer (capt)

CM: Philip Appiah

RW: Luke Chadwick

LW: Steven Davies

ST: Bartosz Slusarski

CF: Andy Barcham

SUBS: Mark Lynch, Ian Sharps, Alex Burgess, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Aleksander Prijovic

Before the team went out, I delivered my speech about the importance of having the right attitude and earning the right to win. The players trooped out and began their lives as BSP players – I was sure that we all had the intention of it being a short one.

The first half was an even contest with both sides having a spell where they were on top. We started well and missed a couple of half chances before an injury to Stephen Brogan put my initial selection dilemma to bed within 23 minutes. I brought Mark Lynch on to replace him but Kettering sensed an opportunity to step up their game and did so. We were a little fortunate to be level at half time after a couple of good saves from our goalkeeper, David Lucas.

The news on Brogan was decent: he just had bruised ribs, nothing was broken and a little rest should see him fine in a week or so. I gave the players a reminder about their attitudes and sent them back out for the second half. However, I took an opportunity to have a quiet word with Bartosz Slusarski who had been poor so far. I reminded him that there were players champing at the bit on the bench, eager for a chance to impress. With Philip Appiah struggling with a knock, I had to make the substitution I had wanted to make at a less pressurised moment – the debut of 16 year old Alex Burgess.

Four minutes into the second half and the pressure intensified on my new look side. Kettering won a free kick 30 yards out and slightly to the right. It looked impossible to score from but Craig WESTCARR did just that, bending the ball over the wall into the top corner giving Lucas little chance. This was now a real test of my players.

Five minutes later, they showed they were up for the challenge. A long ball down the left hand side was chased down by BARCHAM and with the ball at his feet, he cut inside and back out to the corner of the area before firing an unstoppable drive into the top corner of the net. An equaliser so quickly was just what we wanted.

With the game opening up, both sides were having half chances but my frustration with Slusarski saw him substituted on 64 minutes with Akinfenwa brought on to replace him. The forward almost had a dream debut when a perfect cross from Steven Davies was met by Akinfenwa’s head six yards out but the post denied him with the keeper beaten.

However, with 9 minutes remaining, the winning goal did arrive. A flowing move from the right wing to the left hand side saw youngster Burgess play a lovely ball to the left into the path of the left back moving forward. LYNCH cut inside before smashing the ball into the roof of the net to send the small pocket of Millers’ fans into raptures.

With time ticking away, Kettering were desperate for an equaliser themselves and we were starting to catch them on the break. When we won a free kick on the right, Brammer swung it over and Barcham found himself body-checked by a Kettering defender. Despite their protests, the referee awarded a penalty which CHADWICK tucked home to seal a first day victory.

KETTERING TOWN (0) 1-3 (0) ROTHERHAM UNITED

Westcarr 49, Barcham 54, Lynch 81, Chadwick 89 (pen)

Attendance – 1400, MOM: Lynch

A satisfying performance and a very important three points. With a home game to come in midweek against Salisbury, we now have a superb chance to get off to the kind of start needed to challenge for the title.

Elsewhere in the BSP, Histon took the first top spot of the season after a 4-1 home thumping of Northwich Victoria. Barnet put relegation behind them with a home 2-0 win over much fancied Cambridge United. Stalybridge Celtic, Fleetwood Town and Team Bath all faced away trips after their promotions to the BSP and all lost on the first day. AFC Wimbledon were also away but secured a 1-0 win at Eastbourne Boro. York City and Torquay United both started their challenges with home victories and two of the promotion favourites met in Wales as Wrexham beat Burton Albion 2-0 at the Racecourse Ground.

Apologies for the delay - have been busy in CSE with my sign-up and busy in general at home. Here's my second game!

Tuesday 11th August 2009

ROTHERHAM UNITED vs. SALISBURY CITY

Blue Square Premier League, August 8th 2009, Don Valley Stadium

Ahead of the game, the board notified me that we had sold 2125 season tickets for this season, 375 less than last season in League 2. However, I was confident that in time, we could attract the fans back. Our first test at Don Valley Stadium came from Salisbury Town and we were clear favourites to win the game after their 3-2 defeat on the opening day of the season against Weymouth at home.

With Brogan out after his injury at Kettering, Lynch was rewarded for a fine substitute performance with a starting berth whilst Luke Chadwick had took a knock that wasn’t worth risking. Barcham moved to the right wing and Slusarski paid the price for his poor performance at Kettering with a place on the bench. This meant a new strikeforce with Akinfenwa and Prijovic starting up front. Unfortunately, we also had some tired legs after the opening day that meant Appiah and Davies also missed out and Burgess and Tutte started. Five of Saturday’s starting eleven were not starting tonight which was causing me some worries as we went into the game.

The game was total domination from Rotherham aside from short bursts from City. However, one of these short bursts was enough to see us fall a goal behind on 22 minutes. Lucas and Duffy failed to deal with a right wing cross and it handed Salisbury’s SANDELL the chance to tap home. Straight after, it could have been worse when City’s second shot of the game hit the crossbar. Despite creating chances throughout the first half, we were still a goal down at half time where I had a slight rant at a few players.

The impact was immediate as we equalised four minutes into the second half. Barcham moved down the right wing and crossed for PRIJOVIC to head home from 5 yards to make it 1-1.

We were now dominant and had several more chances as well as penalty appeals but couldn’t find a second. Akinfenwa and Burgess went off to be replaced by Slusarski and Davies but no change as we began to get a little desperate. And then with 14 minutes left, the unthinkable happened. Completely against the run of play, a Salisbury free kick from the left was headed home by COOK who had a free header after Sodje lost him.

Slusarski then hit the bar with a header from six yards before Barcham was also forced off injured. It was becoming a nightmare home start and despite our continued pressure, the equaliser would not come.

ROTHERHAM UNITED (0) 1-2 (1) SALISBURY CITY

Sandell 22, Prijovic 49, Cook 76

Attendance – 2552, MOM: Cook (Salisbury)

Akinfenwa’s injury was a groin strain that would keep him out for 3/4 weeks whilst Barcham would miss the next 6/7 weeks with a sprained ankle. A terrible evening. The result saw us slip to 9th in the fledgling table with Grays, Kidderminster, Crawley and Torquay in the top four with 100% records.

Next up: Woking (a), August 15th 2009

Wednesday 12th August 2009

With worries over the left back position, I decided that another player might just be needed to complete my squad. With Andy Nicholas injured and Mark Lynch who had a great game at Kettering but a terrible game against Salisbury, I decided that only one of them was good enough to stay as a deputy. Nicholas’ left footedness appealed to me more despite his injury and I began to make moves to replace Lynch.

My scouts had looked at former Wednesday left back Peter Gilbert in the pre-season and thought he would be a great signing for us. Still without a club, we contacted his agent and made the player an offer to join Rotherham. Would he agree to the deal?

Saturday 15th August 2009

WOKING vs. ROTHERHAM UNITED

Blue Square Premier League, August 15th 2009, Kingfield Stadium

Ian Sharps came in to replace the unhappy Pablo Mills in one of four changes made from Tuesday’s defeat at Salisbury. Andrew Tutte dropped out of the team along with the injured Bayo Akinfenwa and Andy Barcham. In came Steven Davies, Luke Chadwick and Bartosz Slusarski as Rotherham travelled to Woking looking for a second win of the season.

Within the first quarter of an hour, both sides went close to taking the lead. A great move by Woking saw Lambu smash a shot against the bar from 15 yards before a long ball from Lucas found Slusarski who drilled a 30 yard shot against the left post. However, on 29 minutes the deadlock was broken by the home side. There was a suspicion of offside in the build-up but the ball broke to HOLT on the edge of the box who smashed the ball past Lucas to make it 1-0.

The Millers were shocked and their defence was allover the place. Sharps failed to pick up his man from a corner on 38 minutes and it was that man, DALEY, who headed home via two or three deflections. Rotherham had been awful so far and other than Slusarski’s long range effort, had not threatened a goal. Yet here they were 2-0 down at half time and deservedly so as Woking had dominated possession and created chances.

A half time rant saw an improvement but the Millers were still limited to long range efforts. A triple substitution saw the disappointing Slusarski (again), Burgess and Chadwick replaced by Dowson, Appiah and the debutant, Mycoe. And with 13 minutes remaining, a glimmer of hope. Prijovic laid the ball through to Mycoe who hit the post when one on one with the keeper but the rebound fell to PRIJOVIC who tucked the ball home.

However, hope was all it was. Rotherham failed to create another chance as Woking held firm for a 2-1 victory. Not a great start for the Millers.

WOKING (2) 2-1 (0) ROTHERHAM UNITED

Holt 29, Daley 38, Prijovic 77

Attendance – 1077, MOM: Daley (Woking)

With just three points from three games, Rotherham sit in 15th place with work to do. Woking leap over the Millers to 13th after their first win of the season and Kidderminster maintain their 100% start to sit top on 9 points: 6 clear of the Millers. With more bids going in for Gilbert from Brighton and MK Dons, it is looking unlikely he will be signing.

Next up: Wrexham (h), Tuesday 18th August

Thurday 16th August 2009

After a disappointing start, what had the Millers fans made of the performances of the team so far? The unofficial club forum: www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk; would provide some clues.

What did I tell you all?

I don’t care who he has played for, he is not up to the job. Salisbury and Woking! Never heard of them till this week and we’ve lost to both of them. Clueless!

For heavens sake, give him chance Frank. Yeah, they were disappointing defeats but the squad is good enough. Morton needs to put Pablo back in ASAP though – Sharps was dreadful tonight.
Absolutely tripe Morris. A good squad wouldn’t lose at home to Slaisbury would it?
Have to agree with Frank on this one. Absolutely awful in the first half today, attitude stunk. Morton needs to lay the law down to some, particularly Slusarksi. Awful performance, not bothered at all.
Spot on Frank. The defending from the corner on Wokings second goal today was abysmal. Sharps lost his man, Lynch got in the way of Lucas ... We’re not going up as things stand right now! Dreadful!
Keep the faith chaps. Morton needs time to gel the players together and results will come. Barcham is a key player for us. We need him back fit.
Typical grumbling from Frank, never happy. You’re loving it aren;t you really? Get behind the team for a change.

I’ve watched more football over the years lad than you’ve had clean pants. We’re going nowhere with him in charge. Nowhere!

Tuesday 18th August 2009

ROTHERHAM UNITED vs. WREXHAM

Blue Square Premier League, August 18th 2009, Don Valley Stadium

After two defeats since the opening day win, it was not a good time to see pre-season favourites to contest promotion with the Millers, Wrexham, arriving at the DVS. However, the Red Dragons had made a similarly shaky start to Rotherham and only had one more point to show for their first three games after a late equaliser at home to Weymouth in their previous game. After Ian Sharps’ horror show at Woking, Pablo Mills – who Alan Pardew and Charlton seem to be looking at after some media comments of late – was reinstated in the centre of the defence with Sodje. Mycoe replaced Burgess in the centre whilst Dowson made a full debut for Slusarski. The fit again Andy Nicholas was preferred to Mark Lynch at left back.

After twenty minutes, another injury to a major player. Luke Chadwick had been our danger man in the first twenty minutes on the right but twisted his knee – which rules him out for 3 or 4 weeks – and was replaced on the right by Mycoe with Appiah coming on in central midfield. Rotherham were on top but not creating clear-cut chances but that changed on 37 minutes. Brammer’s corner was met on the volley by MILLS who struck it home from 10 yards to make it 1-0 to the home side.

With half time approaching, a 1-0 lead was just about deserved for the Millers but they threw it away in injury time. Another corner from the Wrexham left was headed home by WHITE who rose higher than Lucas to score.

The Millers were unlucky not to lead at half time and we knew we could win the game if we carried on our performance. However, on 53 minutes, David Dowson picked up yet another injury as he started limping around with a twisted ankle. Diagnosis later ruled him out for 5/6 weeks but he made a major contribution before we could replace him. Prijovic picked up the ball on the left from a Nicholas throw and slid the ball through to the limping DOWSON who slipped the ball under the keeper and into the net to make it 2-1 before Slusarski replaced him.

Burgess replaced Davies as we looked for the killer third goal and on 76 minutes, we almost had it. Mycoe’s ball forward found Slusarski who shot early but saw his shot cannon onto the bar. This was the third time the new striker had hit the woodwork in the last three games – an unlucky start to life at the DVS for him.

With 6 minutes remaining though, it was 3-1. Pablo Mills won the header from a Wrexham goal kick and Prijovic flicked the ball onwards hopefully. SLUSARSKI got the better of Evans and hit a half-volley past the keeper into the corner to seal the game ...

... Or so we thought. With a minute left of normal time, a ball from Tremarco found SPANN free in the area and he turned and drilled the ball past Lucas to set up a tense finale. With four minutes injury time, Wrexham pressured the goal but could not find a way through. The relief around DVS was there for all to see!

ROTHERHAM UNITED (1) 3-2 (1) WREXHAM

Mills 37, White 45+1, Dowson 53, Slusarski 84, Spann 89

Attendance – 2522, MOM: Pablo Mills

The win lifted the Millers up to 11th with 6 points above Wrexham on 4 points and falling to 14th. With Kidderminster losing, York and Torquay went to the top with 10 points each.

Next up: Kidderminster Harriers (a), August 22nd

Archived