[FM09] The Merry Millers - A BSP Adventure

Greasy Chip Butty

This is a FM09 game using the database created for Dafuges challenge with no extra editing made. It is played using Patch 9.0.3 and starts on June 24th 2009. I am a manager that used to be an International Footballer – I fancied not having to struggle as much. I want to write this as a story type thing but the limits placed on stories in the ‘FM Stories’ forum frustrate me a little.

Hope you all enjoy, please feel free to comment!

rotherham.jpg

Rotherham United F.C. is a South Yorkshire football club who have had more than their fair share of highs and lows in the last fifteen years. From the highs of their first ever Wembley cup victory in 1996 (a 1-0 win over Shrewsbury Town to secure the Auto Windscreens Trophy a.k.a. the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy) and their remarkable double promotion from League 2 to the Championship (2000/2001) to the lows of relegation back to League 2 (2006/2007), two stints in administration and three points deductions. These points deductions led to relegation in 2007, a wrecked promotion dream in 2008 and, with the start of the 2008/2009 League 2 season imminent, a season wrecked before it had even started.

Starting on -17 points was far from ideal for the Millers who would fight a relegation battle as a result. With 2009 signalling the 125th anniversary of their formation, the only chunk of light was the misery of others: Bournemouth (-17) and Luton Town’s (-30) points deductions meaning that the Millers were not alone. With Mark Robins at the helm, Rotherham would at least have an opportunity to survive and avoid the trapdoor into Non-League football. They would also play football at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, an athletics arena with a 25,000 capacity, where the atmosphere would be severely diluted by the stadium being only a fifth full at best. The club had left Millmoor after a dispute with the club’s previous owners and were hoping for a new community stadium to be built sometime in the future.

However, it was not to be for Robins and his squad. Despite having the 17th best record in the division, Rotherham finished 5 points from safety and in rock-bottom. In their 125th year, Rotherham was relegated into the Non-League and the Blue Square Premier League. Bournemouth and Luton survived (Bournemouth 16th when they would have been in the Play Offs without the points deduction, Luton 10th with the best record in the division that would have won the title and promotion to League 1) and Barnet would join the Millers in the BSP.

Mark Robins resigned in the June following the relegation leaving the Millers without a manager as the new season approached. So, with the 2009/2010 season due to start in 6 weeks, I was given the task of guiding the Millers back to Football League.

The Millers squad was a useful one that had effectively been the 17th best in League 2 the previous season so there were not too many worries about the quality. The worries came with the strength in depth and the fact that four of the better players were unhappy after relegation and considering moving away from the club: Pablo Mills, Mark Burchill, Andy Warrington and Mark Hudson. With another eight players out of contract and four more already on their way out, including talented young striker Reuben Reid, that left a squad of 25 players of which the majority were either too inexperienced or not good enough.

The squad needed a major revamp but I knew that there would be plenty of opportunities to bring out-of-contract players in as June ended and July began. My early days at Rotherham manager were spent sifting through the squad, sorting my backroom staff and getting to grips with the financial circumstances.

Assistant manager, John Breckin, left the club as I felt there were others out there with better coaching attributes than him as well as ability to judge players. Both physios, Dennis Pettitt and Ian Bailey, and both scouts, Tim Henderson and Alan Crawford, were allowed to leave as I felt there were better available. Finally, the youth coach, Steve Thornber, was sent on his way as well.

With only three coaches allowed, I knew I needed an assistant manager who had some ability as a coach as well as being able to judge the ability and potential of players. Byron Norton ticked most of those boxes – good attacking and defending coach for this level and the ability to assist me with the ability of my current players and future signings. Simon Tracey, the goalkeeping coach and former long-term keeper at Sheffield United, accepted an offer of a new contract from me which saw him become a normal coach, utilising his tactical and defensive coaching abilities as well. Nick Daws was the clubs fitness coach and he continued in that role which left me with just the more technical and mental elements of coaching to cover. Andrew Williams came in to fill that role and contribute to others. With a new physio, Dan Clancy, and three new scouts – Ronnie Wilde, Danny Thompson and Tom Shinn – also brought in, my backroom was filled.

The scouts and assistant manager were immediately given scouting missions. Norton, Thompson and Shinn were each given a list of players to report on – around a 100 players in total – whilst Wilde was sent off to find some young gems hiding in the youth teams of others. After a fortnight of hard work, the scouting reports were in and the initial transfers were starting come closer as the start of pre-season approached.

A number of players were released – I decided against keeping any of the players whose contracts had finished – as I sought to trim the wage bill in the knowledge that I wanted to bring in at least ten new signings who would all want decent money. The remaining players were:

STEVE CANN (21)

A young keeper who would be useful backup this season and has the potential to improve in the future.

MARK LYNCH (27)

A two footed full back who offered me options as a right or left back.

IAN SHARPS (28)

Experienced central defender who would be at the heart of the defence as well as the vice-captain of the club.

PABLO MILLS (25)

A central defender or defensive midfielder who was unhappy but I was desperate to retain him. The club captain and considered my best player by Norton.

ANDREW NICHOLAS (25)

Left back who offers attacking options as well. Would suit the tactics that I planned to use.

STEPHEN BROGAN (21)

A young left sided player from the Millers academy. Best position is as a left winger but can also do a job as a left back.

DAVE BRAMMER (34)

Veteran defensive midfielder signed by Robins in January of previous season. A vital member of the team and another who would suit my tactics perfectly.

DANNY HARRISON (26)

Versatile midfielder who wouldn’t be the first name on my team-sheet but would offer me cover and a reliable backup option.

ALEX BURGESS (16)

A young man who I discovered in the U18 squad. Already capable of playing in my first team squad as a left winger or a central midfielder and the potential to be a Championship player in the future according to Nick Daws.

MARK HUDSON (28)

Another unhappy player who I was desperate to retain. Although Burgess would be capable of taking his place in the squad, I felt that Burgess might need some time out on loan and some rest time so keeping the central midfielder had to be a priority for me.

RYAN TAYLOR (21)

A young striker with potential to play in League 1 in the future. Unlikely to play much unless I cannot bring any other strikers in but a prospect that I wanted to keep.

At this point, Mark Burchill and Andy Warrington – the other unhappy players – were in my plans but as my scouts brought information in about other players, I realised that I could move them on. With Reuben Reid (Cheltenham 55K), Marc Joseph (Macclesfield 3K), Tom Cahill (Hyde FREE) and Michael Cummins (Forest 4K) already on their way, I also allowed veteran Mustapha Hadji (Oxford 1K), Omar Garcia and Nick Fenton (both to Mansfield FREE) to leave the club as well as the out-of-contract players. I’d also allowed fourteen younger players to leave as they were unlikely to ever be good enough to play for the Millers in the present or the future.

With a new parent club in Championship Derby County and around a hundred scout reports to view, I set about rebuilding my squad ready for an assault on the Blue Square Premier League.

With the players returning on July 13th from their holidays and the first friendly, a tough home encounter with Huddersfield Town, scheduled for the 17th, I had to make sure that the bones of my squad was in place as soon as possible. However, no players had agreed to join me as pre-season training began and it seemed that every player who I wanted to sign was also wanted by half of League 1 and League 2 as well. I missed out on a few players quickly and decided to simply offer contracts to all the players who I thought would be good signings and hope that a number of them did end up at the club.

The first player in was an excellent signing and an unexpected one as well. Having seen his contract run out at Reading after a number of loan moves, Nigerian international central defender Sam Sodje agreed a deal to join the Millers. I’d also been surprised to see him arrive for only £850 per week.

Two more surprising signings followed from the higher echelons of the game. Championship Norwich City allowed former Manchester United winger Luke Chadwick to leave on a free transfer and West Bromwich Albion striker Bartosz Slusarski also left his club after missing out on a new contract. Both were tempted to join Rotherham but on big money for a club in the BSP – both demanded £1800 per week. However, I had some room to manoeuvre in my wage budget after the chopping of around 25 players from the squad since my arrival.

Striker Adebayo Akinfenwa joined after leaving Northampton Town, veteran goalkeeper David Lucas arrived from Leeds and Welsh international defender, Richard Duffy, arrived after his Portsmouth contract ended. It seemed that my international reputation as a player was helping me as a manager. Surprisingly, there were a lack of offers from other clubs despite the interest. Versatile forward player, Andy Barcham, had failed to make an impact at Tottenham and signed despite the interest from former loan club, Gillingham.

Three more players arrived ahead of the Huddersfield game as well as Derby sending their first loan player. Goalkeeper and young prospect, Craig Samson, arrived from Hereford United, James Chester arrived from Manchester United after the central defender failed to make an appearance at Old Trafford and Sunderland striker David Dowson arrived in time for the first friendly. Aleksander Prijovic was the youngster that Derby loaned out to Rotherham and the right winger cum striker turned out to be a useful signing as well for no wages.

And with eleven new faces at the club, we began our pre-season campaign at the Don Valley Stadium against League 1 Huddersfield Town.

ROTHERHAM UNITED (1) 1-1 (0) HUDDERSFIELD TOWN

Pre-Season Friendly, July 17th 2009, Attendance: 1346

An excellent first half performance from the Millers saw them take an early lead which really should have been added to by half time against a strong Huddersfield team. The first goal of pre-season arrived after six minutes. A good run from Slusarski allowed him to find strike partner Barcham on the edge of the area. His shot was deflected off Butler and flew into the corner of Glennon’s goal. The goal was classed as own goal so Barcham’s effort must have been going wide. Despite several good chances, Rotherham couldn’t add to their lead and in the second half, the Terriers stronger bench told. However, it took a wonder goal to equalise as Spencer hit a 25-yard shot into the top corner of Lucas’ goal. Huddersfield had the chances to win it afterwards but didn’t take them and it finished all square.

Next up: Blyth Spartans (a), July 21st 2009

More new signings followed the draw with Huddersfield as the final touches were put to the squad. Having awoken to the potential of loans from Derby County, I had made several offers to members of their reserve team. I was unsuccessful with audacious bids for Claude Davis and Robbie Savage but right back, Jason Beardsley, and left-sided forward, Steven Davies, both joined on a full-season loan the same as Prijovic. We were searching for other potential loan players to add a little more experience to the midfield which would also allow us to let Mark Hudson leave. One attack-minded central midfielder that came in was Philip Appiah from Preston North End, a free transfer but another young player. With the wage bill a few thousand over budget but the squad strong, I was also actively trying to move on Burchill and Warrington as well as Hudson. However, the second friendly arrived with no further incomings or outgoings.

BLYTH SPARTANS (0) 0–2 (1) ROTHERHAM UNITED

Pre-Season Friendly, July 21st 2009, Attendance: 251

A solid performance against a Blyth Spartans side from the division below – the Blue Square North. A goal in each half sealed the victory but a worrying second half performance again as Blyth took control in the final 30 minutes. The first goal came on 8th minute when left back Andy Nicholas’ shot was parried by the keeper and Harrison bundled the ball home. After a simple finish for the first, the second was a screamer. Davies had the ball on the left and laid the ball back to Harrison who fired the ball into the top left corner from 20 yards for his second goal.

Next up: Sheffield Wednesday (h), July 23rd 2009

One of the unhappy players finally left Rotherham the following day as former-Scotland international, Mark Burchill, made a £50,000 move to Exeter City. This was money that would help to make up the shortfall in wages for a while where we were £6000 per week over budget. However, I believed that the squad I had built would justify that money in the long run. Sheffield Wednesday manager, Brian Laws, tried to stir up problems ahead of our pre-season friendly and I couldn’t resist telling him that we would love to beat the Owls. As a lifelong Blades fan, it would also mean a lot to me to put one over the Wednesday boys. My final touches to the squad would be centred around some cover for Luke Chadwick on the right wing and some cover in the midfield area as I wanted to avoid putting too much pressure on the youngster, Burgess. I made an offer for Jason Mycoe who was available on a free transfer after leaving Southend United and a loan offer, my fourth long term loan I hoped, for Manchester City’s midfielder, Andrew Tutte. The loan offer for Tutte was accepted minutes before the friendly against Wednesday and it was now up to the player to agree.

ROTHERHAM UNITED (0) 2-2 (2) SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Pre-Season Friendly, July 23rd 2009, Attendance: 12330

A massive crowd inside the Don Valley to witness a first half of domination from the Championship visitors but an improved second half performance from the home side which resulted in a frantic last ten minutes. With Akpo up against Sam for the pride of the Sodje family, it was Akpo who won within ten minutes when he turned his brother and fired home from the edge of the area. It was amazing that it took Wednesday half an hour to make it two; Jeffers capitalising on indecision in the area and slotting home past Lucas. A more even game in the second half but it took until the 81st minute for a miscued cross from Lynch to fly into the Wednesday goal. And then as injury time began, Chadwick won a penalty which Akinfenwa slotted home to level the local derby.

Next up: Preston North End (h), July 27th 2009

The promotion odds were published by SkyBet and they made Wrexham 5-4 favourites to win promotion back into the Football League. Our odds of 7-4 made us second favourites with Cambridge United, Burton Albion, York City and Kidderminster Harriers the teams tipped to challenge us at the top. Our fourth long term loan signing was completed with the acquisition of Andrew Tutte from Manchester City, a midfielder who could play either the defensive or forward thinking role. Our squad numbers were submitted with just one more player required to complete the squad:

1. David Lucas (GK); 2. Richard Duffy (RB); 3. Andy Nicholas (LB); 4. Pablo Mills (DM/CB); 5. Sam Sodje (CB); 6. James Chester (CB); 7. Luke Chadwick (RW); 8. Philip Appiah (CM); 9. Bartosz Slusarski (ST); 10. Andy Barcham (ST); 11. Steven Davies (LW); 12. Jason Beardsley (RB); 13. Craig Samson (GK); 14. Stephen Brogan (LW); 15. Ian Sharps (CB); 16. Andy Tutte (DM/CM); 17. Adebayo Akinfenwa (ST); 18. David Dowson (ST); 19. Mark Lynch (RB/LB); 20. Dave Brammer (DM); 21. Danny Harrison (DM/CM); 22. Aleksander Prijovic (ST); 23. Steve Cann (GK); 24. Alex Burgess (LW/CM); 25. Ryan Taylor (ST)

And the day before the Preston North End friendly at Don Valley Stadium, the final signing was complete as Jason Mycoe, a midfielder who can play on the right or through the centre, signed with the club with squad number 26.

ROTHERHAM UNITED (1) 1-3 (1) PRESTON NORTH END

Pre-Season Friendly, July 27th 2009, Attendance: 1536

A better first half performance from Rotherham in their final home pre-season friendly before the start of the season. The Millers matched PNE from the start and, after Preston had a goal disallowed early, Rotherham took the lead on 24 minutes. Youngster Burgess won the loose ball on the left wing and laid the ball into the path of debutant Tutte who fired past Lonergan to make it 1-0. A fortunate touch from Brown from a Jones cross-shot got the Championship side level before half time. Within four minutes of the restart, Nicholson rode two challenges to place the ball home and make it 2-1 to PNE. Debutant Mycoe was forced off injured before Fairhurst fired home a third for the Lancashire side on 65 minutes. The Millers had opportunities late on but couldn’t find a way back into the game as it ended 3-1. However, it had been another good performance against a Championship side that promised much for the season.

Next up: Matlock Town (a), August 1st 2009

MATLOCK TOWN (0) 0-2 (0) ROTHERHAM UNITED

Pre-Season Friendly, August 1st 2009, Attendance: 248

Philip Appiah returned from international duties with Canada to make his Rotherham United debut at Causeway Lane in the final pre-season friendly at affiliate club, Matlock Town. After a very poor first half performance, a 51st minute penalty was needed to give the Millers the lead, tucked away by 16 year old Burgess. In the 64th minute, Dowson made it 2-0 with a neat finish in the box. That was how the game finished with Matlock having several chances and both of Rotherham’s keepers, Cann and Samson, needing to be in good form to keep them out. A below par performance to end a promising pre-season.

Next up: BSP/1 Kettering Town (a), August 8th 2009

With the new season days away, a flurry of transfer activity at the Don Valley Stadium as four players looked set to move out of the club. Various teams made offers to take David Haggerty and Laith Bader on free transfers with Mark Hudson and Andy Warrington attracting bids of £10000 from League 2 sides interested in them too. Bader chose to move to Prescot Cables, Warrington chose a move to SPL side Dundee United, Hudson to Meadow Lane and Notts County and finally, Haggerty moved to Burscough. Dave Brammer was named captain of the club replacing Pablo Mills whilst he made decisions about his future at Rotherham with Ian Sharps continuing as vice captain of the club. The news of Brammer’s appointment pleased the rest of the squad who thought him a worthy choice.

So the start of the season at Rockingham Road in Kettering drew near. The media were predicting that The Poppies would finish around 15th this season after a 13th place last season. Their home record had not been good last season and it would be something they’d be looking to start putting right against us that Saturday. It would be a tough place to start the campaign.

The board were not in the mood to accept failure either with a demand for the Blue Square Premier League title as well as the F.A. Trophy. No pressure then!

This is a bit rich of me, but some people may accuse me you of still writing a story.. Actully looking through it again, it's not that bad. The text kind of put me off.. Maybe put some screens in to split it up a bit.

A good start to the new season, it must continue.. Surely the BSP title is in your aspirations?

This is a bit rich of me, but some people may accuse me you of still writing a story.. Actully looking through it again, it's not that bad. The text kind of put me off.. Maybe put some screens in to split it up a bit.

A good start to the new season, it must continue.. Surely the BSP title is in your aspirations?

I know - been thinking it is too similar to a story myself. The issue I have with FMS though is that you can't use an image or two to bring it to life though. Although I haven't used any pictures or screenshots yet, I plan to.

I guess I'm a cross between the two. I'm a story but an update as well. Apologies if I am breaking any rules, I didn't think I was other than the 'story-like' writing ...

I like the text! What's wrong with it?

Yes, I am confident that we will win the title. But you never know with me with relegated teams. I made a mess of the CSE sign-up thing 'Wallace vs.Roberts' game when Braintree were relegated and should have bounced straight back but I couldn't ge them going.

Personally I like the text its easy to read the colours and capitals for the matches are good. I am not usually a fan of people updating after every match but I will make an exception with this thread and I will be reading it. Screenies are good it breaks up the text a little bit maybe links to pics of your starting 11 would be good.

Personally I like the text its easy to read the colours and capitals for the matches are good. I am not usually a fan of people updating after every match but I will make an exception with this thread and I will be reading it. Screenies are good it breaks up the text a little bit maybe links to pics of your starting 11 would be good.

Was saving that for when season started properly. Screenshots will come in time.

Have held off while I work out what folk think of it: is it allowed? or do i need to move it to fm stories?

Its the "FM career Update" Thread there are no rules about the style of updates in the rules page. Update it however you like in my opinion.

Its boring if its just a load of data posted in. The story style makes it more interesting to read. You are planning to add some screen shots so that rules it out of the stories forum, this is the only place for it.

Are you planning on posting screen shots directly or links to the screen shots. I find a thread with lots of screenshots tends to take a while to load them all up.

Good luck for the season.

Archived