[FM09] A career in Northern Ireland

AdamC

I've always been fascinated by the Northern Irish leagues in FM. More specifically, I've managed to develop a bit of an LLM 'thing' for Queens University Belfast! I decided to start a new career with QUB with a view to progressing as far as possible up the Northern Irish leagues and to eventually manage in the top division. From here, I plan to increase Northern Ireland's stature within European and world football. So, with no further ado, I present my current FM career.

Leagues loaded: Northern Ireland.

2008/2009 - Queens University Belfast

This is what you call starting at the bottom. A university team from downtown Belfast who share their pitch (no stands, of course) with the local police force. The team was predicted to finish 11th out of 12. In the IFA Interim Intermediate League, two teams go down and only one goes up. It's a notoriously hard league to get out of and the reputation is so low that winning it is the ONLY way out.

I strengthened the squad with eight new players and let six players go. No money changed hands in any of the fourteen transfers - it's literally a case of 'fancy playing for us?' in this league. The financial situation, naturally, is pretty poor. The wage budget is £1,860 a week (I'm currently £10 under this) and our transfer balance was £0. Despite sticking to budgets, our £18,000 in the bank at the start of the season has rapidly dropped to -£27,964 as I write this on 1st November game time.

Two 'lucrative' friendlies were arranged against Northern Ireland's biggest team, Linfield, but even that couldn't stop the rot. The average ticket price at QUB is £3 (a season ticket costs £29 and we have 45 season ticket holders) and our average attendance is 251. Just 167 people turned up for the first game of the season, but 363 turned up for our Steel Cup Quarter Final match against Donegal Celtic (we lost in the last minute of extra time). This, even as the highest gate of the season, earned us gate receipts of just £1,000.

Six games into the league season, however, and we sit two points clear at the top of the league on fourteen points. Fingers crossed - it's going to be a tough ride!

It came right down to the last day, but we did it! PSNI (the Police, our landlords and fierce rivals) were clear by a few points towards the end of the season following some troubles we had with injuries and suspensions. We won the league by two clear points and have been promoted to the IFA Championship (2nd tier of Northern Irish football). Pretty good considering the club's previous record finish was 10th out of 12 in the bottom division!

Archived