Gone Old School! - CM 03-04

Bit sick of FM 09 now and decided to dig out CM 03-04 which imo is the best, love it myself!

Since it's been so long since I last played it I have forgotten the 'gems' of the game, can anyone remember any players that re must buys?

I'm Arsenal.

Thanks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

forgot to say IMO Henry is the best player in CM 03-04. I played with Man Utd, and approched im in zhe first half-season. In my next seasons he was scoring like crazy. So my suggestion, extend his contract immediately!

Cheers lads, Robinho doesn't show up in my game for some reason?

Also Henry wouldn't accept my new contract offer, neither would Wiltord so they're both off :( I have signed Todorov, he's coming in July.

Any others?

Cheers.

Cheers lads, Robinho doesn't show up in my game for some reason?

Also Henry wouldn't accept my new contract offer, neither would Wiltord so they're both off :( I have signed Todorov, he's coming in July.

Any others?

Cheers.

Then Tevez. C. Ronaldo is wonderkid on that game so mybe try him. But Supat Rungratsamee is a must! also, Eduardo Ratinho. Can't remeber anymore, but if i do, I'll let you know. ;)

Was it 03-04 when lots of the lower league clubs had amazing players??? I remember Mark Smith of Bristol Rovers went on to be one of the best centre halfs in the game. The other one at Bristol Rovers was Jellyman. Just thought of Dean Keates too but cant remember which club he was at!

I had a very enjoyable save on 03/04 with Bolton. Kevin Nolan was eventually added to my favoured personnel list and I was added to his. We won the league twice and got to two CL finals. It was the last CM/FM, imo, that was genuinely pick up and play. That's not to say that I don't think things have improved, but despite it's flaws, it was just a nice, fun game.

Lionel Morgan gets class from Wimbledon, Wimbledon go into receivership soon into game so you can get him cheap, Also Nigel Reo-Coker from Wimbledon is also a bargin buy. David Bellion and Richie Partridge 2 right wingers you can get on loan at the start of the game from Man Utd and Liverpool they both become class.

Cm 03/04 my imo best ever Cm/fm game, Played on that game more than any of ther others.

Just remembered some other buys for Championship(division 1)

Leroy Lita from Bristol City Fast striker

Robert Earnshaw from Cardiff other than Defoe best striker in that league on the game

John Stead - Huddersfield i think?

Alan O'hare - a good left back for Division 1, Not sure which club he his at i know its a divison 2 team.

Ibrahima Sonko is fantastic, and only costs about £250k

Mido is quality for a little more money

Adriano

Robinho

Diego

Trond-Erik Bertelsen

Mike Zonneveld

Toledo (AM/FRC)

Ederson (AM/FC)

Daniel Braathen

Carlos Tevez

Fernando Cavenaghi

There's loads more, but those were the ones I could think of right now.

Without ANY doubt whatsoever, Fredy William Thompson of Guatemala. An absolute must.

Mark Kerr from Scotland too. Awesome central midfielder.

Julius Aghahowa was a beast on that version of the game too. As was Daniel Braaten and Kim Kallstrom.

But the secret weapon is...

Jose Julian De La Cuesta!

Sign all them and you'll be winning the Champions League on a budget xD

Excluding players already mentioned...

Shaun Barker, Porarin Brynar Kristjansson, Hjalmar Porarinsson, Eremenko Jr, Nathan Ellington, David Thompson, Arek Radomski, Ville Forss, Michal Danek (the last two MAY have been regens).

Was it 03-04 when lots of the lower league clubs had amazing players??? I remember Mark Smith of Bristol Rovers went on to be one of the best centre halfs in the game. The other one at Bristol Rovers was Jellyman. Just thought of Dean Keates too but cant remember which club he was at!

This was the original champ manager 3, mark smith was amazing, but also jamie shore & trevor challis from bristol rovers too. Dean keates was indeed awesome, im thinking rightly or wrongly walsall in that game? I did love CM3 but having gone back to it not so long ago it does feel a little 'dated' nowadays....

CM 03/04 however is still my fave...! Lots of good players, but being arsenal you should have some cash so diego (now of juve fame) from santos is a good bet (although if robinho isn't there he may also not be), someone's already mentioned cavenaghi & kallstrom, pazzini from atalanta scores goals for fun and jerome rothen is a good performance/cost left winger. Bruno gama as a rw is worth a look, as is steven taylor from newcastle (usually leaves ona free at eofs) and mexes (usually xfers within first few weeks of a new game for 3-4m). Keepers i'd look at stekelenburg, wiese or frey. Lastly, seems a bit hit and miss but anthony le tallec from liverpool can be a bargain in some games and cack in others. Some random factors to do with his potential i expect...

Just gone back to 03/04. Blackpool in old division 2. Played 12 won 3 drawn 6 lost 3. Fully expect long hard first season possibly with relegation struggle. But already I am getting small reponses/improvements from my players. And as a supposed football manager, I really do think I will live or die by the way I perform whilst playing the game. Sure, I miss the features of 07/08/09. I miss the lack of 'things to do' between matches. But its only now that I have gone back to it that I remember just how good the ME was. Sure you can still lose in the last minute of a match you should have easily won but it's not 12 times in 13 consecutive matches as you get in the more recent versions. The lack of interaction features with players and press means you have to spend more time scouting and building for the future. And even when you lose, you don't get the impression that it's all part of a plan to destroy your confidence and any enjoyment you may have from the game. IMO Football Manager has become Football Coach in the last few versions and the impact of your decisions is neglible. I originally played 03/04 for over three years, watching every game fully and loved every minute (Accrington,England,Blackburn).It felt much much closer to reality than anything in recent versions which have all been about micro tactics. I am looking forward to a long and successful re-union with my old friend 03/04 !!

Henry as mentioned is a beast. second season for me he hit 61 goals (4 in the FA cup final against Newcastle)

But playing alongside Owen It is a match made in heaven.

This is my favourite ever Fm/Cm game apart from 07 which is class.

Raid west ham for good players and wimbledon as i always pretty much played as arsenal or west ham

Oh my word! A CM 03/04 thread and Alessio Cerci mentioned only once. He's 15 at the start of the game, you can sign with a compensation of around £1M and he's probably the best player in the game. Using the diablo tactic he scored 128 in his first season, at 15, then 16 years old.

Must buy!

Oh my word! A CM 03/04 thread and Alessio Cerci mentioned only once. He's 15 at the start of the game, you can sign with a compensation of around £1M and he's probably the best player in the game. Using the diablo tactic he scored 128 in his first season, at 15, then 16 years old.

Must buy!

Diablo tactic?

Cheat tactic that exploits the match engine, your AMC will score over 100 goals in a season and will more than likely never lose a game.

Ive still got it if you want it.

I always ask myself what is the point of playing a managing game then?????????

Without ANY doubt whatsoever, Fredy William Thompson of Guatemala. An absolute must.

Mark Kerr from Scotland too. Awesome central midfielder.

Julius Aghahowa was a beast on that version of the game too. As was Daniel Braaten and Kim Kallstrom.

But the secret weapon is...

Jose Julian De La Cuesta!

Sign all them and you'll be winning the Champions League on a budget xD

YES YES YES YES!!!

Kasper Schmeichel

Jan Lastuvka

James McEverley

Philippe Mexes

Boumsong

Lucio (has a £10.75m minimum fee release clause IIRC)

Nigel De Jong

Tom Huddlestone

Patrice Evra (probably the most consistent player I've ever had, he simply had to turn up to get an 8/10)

Fredy Guarin

John Welsh

Daniele De Rossi

Diego

Andres D'Alessandro

Aaron Lennon

Lionel Morgan

Evandro Roncatto

Robinho

Luis Fabiano

Carlos Tevez

Wayne Rooney

Hatem Ben Arfa

Fernando Cavenaghi

Nathan Ellington

Daniel Braathen

Giampaulo Pazzini

Anatoli Todorov

Roque Santa Cruise

Alessio Cerci (as already mentioned, LETHAL in the Diablo tactic)

Alexander Farnerud

All this love for CM4, I remember the amount of chaos and moaning on the forum when it first came out, loads of people saying it was broken. Talk about rose tints :D

Although I have to say it was my first CM/FM and I loved it at the time.

Archived