Deejay's Original 4-4-2 Diamond

My first tactic iv ever uploaded to the forums, so will be interested to get some feedback.

How this tactic came into creation:

I wanted to create a formation that had: attacking fullbacks, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, and 2 up front.

So here it is:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6641/palermo442diamond.jpg - tactic

The desired attributes for the specific positions are as follows

WBR/WBL - Pace, Acceleration, Crossing, Stamina, Tacking, Positioning, Work Rate, Marking, Anticipation, Natural Fitness

DMC - Marking, Tacking, Strength, Stamina, Tackling, Teamwork, Work Rate, First Touch, Passing, Decisions, Anticipation, Bravery

MC - Passing, Stamina, Work Rate, Decisions, Creativity, Tackling, Technique, Off The Ball,

AMC - Creativity, Flair, Decisions, Passing, Dribbling, First Touch, Technique, Balance, Long Shots, Pace, Acceleration, Strength, Composure, Agility

FC (left) - First Touch, Strength, Heading, Jumping, Work Rate, Off The Ball, Finishing, Composure, Balance, Bravery

FC (right) - Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, First Touch, Passing, Technique, Flair, Agility, Creativity, Off The Ball, Crossing

The full backs bomb up and down the flanks, picking the ball up from the GK or CB's, passing it to one of the MC's then charge down the flanks, providing attacking width. Iv managed to get them scoring a few times too, often from a cross from the opposite full back.

The AMC is set to playmaker, and is basically the Trequartista, the fulcrum of the team, and its most creative outlet. More of a Kaka than a Riquelme.

Both MC's should be box-box midfield types, but should be comfortable on the ball, and at making lots of short passes and playing triangles with the AMC.

The left FC is the TM type forward (TM not ticked) and receives the ball from the midfield or full backs, holds it up, and brings others into play, before making a run into the box to get on the end of a through ball or cross.

The right FC has a free role, and is the other creative spark in the front 3, running at defences, moving across the front line, making it difficult for the opposition defence to mark him. Moves into Channels would be a good PPM to have, dragging defenders out, before dribbling past them, and setting up the TM for a shot on goal.

Some Results:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1369/palermo2juve0.jpg - comfortable, controlled win away, against a good Juve side

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2010/palermo6genoa1.jpg - FWD runs on wing backs, so less possession, but more of a goal threat

tactic link - http://www.filefront.com/14164703/4-4-2%20Diamond%20%28Palermo%2C%20Mar%202009%29.tac

Im glad you guys are willing to try it out! Iv found it generally leads to me dominating possession against most teams. I have played with this tactic for a season now, with a completely ungelled Palermo team on an updated database. I finished 7th, didn't lose many games, just too many draws, but that was down to poor finishing and poor team morale more than anything.

A tip though: after you take the lead, or if you're leading towards the end of the game, I suggest you pull the wingbacks back, or maybe lower the mentalities of the whole team and reduce the width and defensive line. This tactic can be vulnerable to the AI overloading your defensive line, pushing for an equaliser.

I tweak a lot in game BTW. At home against teams looking to 'park the bus' I increase the passing of my CB's a few notches so they don't waste time passing it amongst themselves. Also play wider, and maybe drop the defensive line, to prevent getting hit on the counter by teams playing with narrow, packed defences.

So let me know your experiences!

Archived