[FM09] FC United - There's Only One Team in Manchester

dafuge

8611092.png

Initial Manager Profile

My long term aims for this club were simple, to replace Manchester United as the dominant force in English and European football.

Again, this is a game I played as part of dafuge's FM09 challenge from release day which was upgraded with the latest patches as they were released. Sadly this game was cut short when my laptop died so there will not be any new updates or screenshots but there should be enough to make a decent career.

I've also thrown in my posts from Neppo's Youth Player Project - FM09, which tracks the youth players I had at the club.

Season 2009/10 Review - FC United in the Blue Square North

The media prediction was 20th so I should have been facing a relegation battle, but I thought I could do enough to challenge nearer the top of the table.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a reasonable start but things deteriorated and we spent the season as mid table also-rans. We struggled for consistency as I spent far too long deciding what style of football to play. I rotated between a very attacking style and a more balanced, conservative style but the results and statistics didn't always reflect the way we were approaching the game.

One highlight of the season was the run in the FA Trophy, knocking out three BSP teams before the heartbreak in the semi final in the battle of the spinoff clubs.

Transfers

I made a lot of changes to the squad, bringing in a lot of free transfers. Unfortunately a lot of them seemed a bit too young to be thrown into a squad together and struggled to keep their form up. I really stretched the wage budget with these signings, which unfortunately meant I had to release quite a few players to be able to renew a few contract, so I lost a few backup players I wanted to keep. Danny Mitchley came in on loan from Blackpool and provided the goals, but his form dipped at the end of the season.

I'm still without a parent club by choice, it really is a lot harder without a couple of quality players in the team.

Squad

I was fairly pleased with the squad I put together, although they don't seem to be getting the sorts of results they should be capable of. My main concern is the strikers, apart from Mitchley the others just didn't seem to find the net regularly. I was hoping Adam Newbold was going to star after scoring on his debut, but he then found himself injured for a month.

Star Player

Signed in the previous year, he has been a rock at the centre of my midfield.

Career Overview

Season      League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10     Blue Square North     15th              FA Trophy semi finalists

Season 2010/11 Review - FC United in the Blue Square North

After last season's 15th placed finish I was looking for an improvement with a possibility of a playoff place. The media had predicted we would finish 19th, which was one place higher than last season.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

After another poor start I adjusted my tactics, in particular my attacking midfielders and strikers, the results were instant as we started the climb the table. We had a chance to win the league but the fightback was just too late, we had lost too much ground on the leaders.

Squad

Really starting to take shape, all we need now is a striker who is capable of scoring 30 goals a season. I went into it with no loan players at all, rejecting the loan from forced parent club Burnley.

Transfers

I rebuild the defence, bringing in a number of young centre backs with potential. McManus was a decent addition to the front line but he still didn't deliver enough goals.

Star Player

Once again he was solid in the DM role. My coaches think he is a BSP player at best so I can't see him holding the role for too long should we get promoted.

The playoffs see us facing the team who just missed out on the title, AFC Telford. They are not on the best of form, not winning in their last three games so we have to take advantage.

Playoff updates to follow...

Season 2011/12 Review - FC United in the Blue Square Premier

The media prediction was 24th so survival was the aim for the season.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

We didn't have the best of starts and spent a lot of the early part of the season in the relegation zone. Thankfully things picked up and we soon found ourselves in mid table. The season really died out as it became clear we would not get relegated and not reach the playoffs, so I gave a few of the fringe players a few games.

Transfers

The three players signed in January all look like good prospects, but there were a few dodgy signings as well. Striker William Grigg was possibly the worst, in 11 games and 4 sub appearances he didn't score a single goal. Parent club Burnley tried to sneak a loan through, but he was sent straight back. I've also cancelled the parent club link so it will be interesting to see if the chairman sets up another one.

Squad

Same old story, my strikers are just not scoring. 15 goals from my star striker who is supposed to be League 1 standard is just bizarre.

Star Player

Picked up on a free after being released from Salisbury, he has been impressive at left back.

Career Overview

2010/11     Blue Square North     5th               Playoff winners
2011/12     Blue Square Premier   14th              

Season 2012/13 Review - FC United in the Blue Square Premier

The media prediction was 22nd but after a solid mid table finish last season I was hopeful of finishing in the top half with the possibility of making the playoffs.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a shocking start to the season, taking just one point from our first three games of the season. Things slowly picked up and we climbed the table, but a tough run of game towards the end meant we fell just short of the playoff spots at the very end of the season.

Transfers

Another season with no loans, with just a few signings. Dale Tong was a great signing on a free transfer.

Squad

A pretty solid performance from the squad as a whole, i don't think too many signings will be made for next season.

Star Player

At last one of my strikers has hit form. Adam Newbold was signed on a free three seasons ago but it has taken him this long to start scoring, his previous best was 22 in a season.

Career Overview

2012/12     Blue Square Premier   8th

Season 2013/14 Review - FC United in the Blue Square Premier

After the 8th placed finish of last season, I knew I had to make some kind of promotion challenge. The media prediction was 16th but I knew it would be a disappointment if we didn't make the playoffs.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a great start to the season (for a change) and despite a bit of bad form mid season we did enough to hold off the challenge of fellow dafuge's challenge team Ashford.

Transfers

A few new players, a lot of which didn't get anywhere near the first team. The new goalie brought in during the January transfer window was a great signing.

Squad

Over the years I have built a really good squad here and I think the players here are good enough to play in League 2. I'll make some new signings if I find quality players available but I'm not too worried about taking this squad into the new league. The parent club was once again cancelled and no players were brought in on loan at all.

Star Player

He carried on his form from last season. My assistant thinks he is a good Championship player so hopefully I can hold on to him for a few seasons yet.

Career Overview

2012/13     Blue Square Premier   8th
2013/14     Blue Square Premier   1st               Promoted as champions

Season 2014/15 Review - FC United in Coca Cola League 2

As a newly promoted team we were predicted to finish 24th, I knew we could do better than that.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

I honestly didn't expect this, after a poor start things just got better. We went into the final game at home to title rivals Morecambe already promoted and fighting for the title, with us just needing a draw to take the title. With a goal after 58 minutes it was decided, not even a 94th minute equaliser could ruin the party.

Transfers

Despite what I said last season about the squad being strong enough, I brought in a a load of new players, a few of them are Championship standard.

Squad

Quite good for this season but there will definitely be changes if we are to get promoted from League 1.

Star Player

Signed on a free after being released from Plymouth, he has proved to be a quality signing. Should be good for a couple more seasons.

Career Overview

2014/15     League 2              1st               Promoted as champions

Season 2015/16 Review - FC United in Coca Cola League 1

After winning League 2 last season this was all about securing a decent position in League 1. The media prediction was 24th but I knew we could do better than that.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

A fantastic performance as we recovered from a poor start with a great run of form to secure a playoff spot. Cardiff were docked 10 points for going into administration which did our season wonders as it bumped us into the playoff spots and gave us the momentum to keep us there.

Transfers

Another mixture of successful transfers and complete failures. Pre season I was excited about signing Raul, he turned out to be disappointing this season but he is still young. Hall, Martinez, Griggs and Williams were the picks of the signings.

Squad

Newbold provided the goals once again, he is yet again streets ahead of the rest of the squad.

Star Player

Signed on the last day of the transfer window due to an injury crisis, he turned out to be a quality player. He was released from Arsenal so I'm hoping he has bags of potential.

Career Overview

2014/15     League 2              1st               Promoted as champions
2015/16     League 1              4th               Playoff winners

Playoffs to follow later...

Season 2016/17 Review - FC United in the Coca Cola Championship

After three successive promotions this was always going to be a tough season. Survival was the only aim.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

As predicted, it was a tough season where we spent the entire season in the bottom half. At the half way point it looked like we were in for a tight relegation battle, but a run of good form took us to safety with a few games to spare.

Transfers

As I was able to scout anywhere in Europe for the first time, I had a lot of work to do in the transfer market. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my scouts around all the countries in time to really pick out some bargains. There were a few expensive signings in January, but they failed to make an impression.

Squad

Once again, my strikers decided they could no longer find the back of the net, unfortunately it looks like this is a step too far for Adam Newbold. Annoyingly, I loaned out Raul as he couldn't find the net, he managed 10 goals in 17 starts at Bradford. For next season, new strikers is a priority.

Star Player

Difficult to pick one player after that season but Williams had a reasonable season.

Career Overview

Season      League                 League Finish   Achievements
2009/10     Blue Square North      15th            FA Trophy semi finalists
2010/11     Blue Square North      5th             Playoff winners
2011/12     Blue Square Premier    14th           
2012/13     Blue Square Premier    8th
2013/14     Blue Square Premier    1st             Promoted as champions
2014/15     Coca-Cola League 2     1st             Promoted as champions
2015/16     Coca-Cola League 1     4th             Playoff winners
2016/17     Coca-Cola Championship 15th

Next Season

I'm miles away from being able to make a promotion bid, so my two targets for next season are to make some money and to improve the squad with young players, particularly strikers.

Season 2017/18 Review - FC United in the Coca Cola Championship

After last season's mid table finish, this season was all about building for the future and possibly pushing for a playoff spot.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Despite a decent start, the season went downhill and we ended up with a dull mid table finish once again. It really was the most uneventful of seasons as we were knocked out of both cups by Blackburn early on.

Transfers

I tried to strengthen the squad but struggled to find players willing to join the club who were good enough. I got a bit carried away in the search for strikers so Raul will be leaving for £1m.

Squad

There will certainly be major changes over the summer as I try to create a squad capable of reaching the playoffs.

Star Player

He had another solid season at centre half, it amazes me to think he is still only 20.

Career Overview

2017/18     Coca-Cola Championship 16th

Next Season

Serious work is needed if we are to get out of this league, I'll be clearing out a lot of the squad in order to raise money and replacing them with cheap foreigners.

Season 2018/19 Review - FC United in the Coca-Cola Championship

After two bottom half finishes I needed to see an improvement if we are ever going to get out of this league.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

A solid season which was a vast improvement on the last two years. It was a bit of a shame our good form in the second half of the season wasn't quite enough to reach the playoffs and finishing the season with three draws cost us 7th place.

For once we had a good run in the FA Cup, eventually being knocked out by rivals Man City in a quarter final replay.

Transfers

Quite a lot of action with a couple of major sales bringing in a bit of money. A lot of the signings were disappointing, but Jansson and Rance look like quality signings.

Squad

With a few new defenders the squad seemed to play much better and at last my strikers seem to have found their scoring form again.

Star Player

I came very close to selling him but he seems to have found a bit of form this season.

Career Overview

2018/19     Coca-Cola Championship 9th

Next Season

I have high hopes for next season, the team is playing well and there will be a lot of action in the transfer market, I have already arranged £2.3m worth of transfers coming in, with hopefully more once I get the new budget. Next season we must make the playoffs.

Season 2019/20 Review - FC United in the Coca-Cola Championship

After the improvement last season I was really hopeful of at least securing a playoff spot.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Possibly the most frustrating season of my career so far. We started the season really well and spent the first half of the season challenging for the title. We then suffered a horrendous run of games where we were just throwing points away, mostly by conceding late equalisers.

Transfers

Most of the incoming transfers were youngsters who didn't really make an impact this season but hopefully they will come into the team next season.

Squad

The squad performed well and with the young average age they should only get better.

Star Player

He was solid at the back again. I thought we would lose him this year but he thankfully signed a new contract.

Career Overview

2019/20     Coca-Cola Championship 8th

Next Season

A new striker is coming in for £1.5m so hopefully he can help us to secure the playoff place we are capable of.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

It was a bit of a mixed season for Ben in his debut as he maintained a reasonable average rating in a series of average performances. He already looks a bit prone to picking up yellow cards as he has already managed a suspension in the small number of games he played. He also spent a while on the sidelines as he suffered strained knee ligaments which put him out for a month. Probably his highlight of the season was his two appearances for the England under 19s, although he seems to be out of the squad at the moment.

Season 2020/21 Review - FC United in the Coca-Cola Championship

After just missing out on the playoffs last season, a promotion challenge was a necessity.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph - FC United and Charlton

League Positions Graph - Bristol City and Crewe

League Positions Graph - Barnsley and Doncaster

Possibly the most memorable Championship season ever. As you can see from the graphs, there were six teams chasing the title and automatic promotion spots. We looked good for the title, only to suffer a disastrous run in, struggling to win our last few games and losing to all our title rivals. Barnsley then had it in the bag but blew it in their last two games leaving Charlton, who had an incredible run, to snatch the title.

Transfers

I went big on a small number of star signings in the hope that I would get promoted this season. Shaw was a great signing but Green was a little disappointing considering the fee I paid for him.

Squad

My squad is now starting to see the benefits of my youth system as it now makes use of three local players (Liddle, Fagan and Baines).

Star Player

He was a big signing for the club and he delivered. I think he will get better and better as he gets a bit older.

Career Overview

2020/21     Coca-Cola Championship 3rd            Playoffs....

Next Season

Let's see what happens in the playoffs first...

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

liddle-3.jpg

He had an interesting season as he made an appearance for the England U-20's. He then had a week of firsts as he claimed his first goal and man of the match, then followed it up with a sending off. The number of yellow cards he is picking up is a bit worrying.

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

fagan-2.jpg

A great season for a 16 year old, hopefully as he turns pro he will go from strength to strength.

Here's my new player for the season:

Theo Webber

I'm really excited about this player, he's already good enough to play in the Championship at 16 and has got bags of potential. He seems to be equally adept at left back and centre back but I think I will use him at left back due to his electric pace and lack of jumping ability.

Season 2021/22 Review - FC United in the Coca-Cola Championship

After last season it was promotion or nothing, I actually expected the title.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

This felt a bit like last season as we spent most of the season as the best team in the league but lost our form towards the end of the season, luckily this time we had enough to hold on for automatic promotion. The final game of the season turned out to be meaningless, with second place secured and no chance of the title.

The cups were highly uneventful, losing in the 2nd round of the Carling Cup to Rochdale and in the 3rd round of the FA Cup to Man Utd.

Transfers

The major transfer story was the sale of first choice goalie Valery Bazaev for £5m, which funded the new signings. Frampton is quality and the new goalie has improved loads. the two DCs were signed as I expected Allan to leave, but he unexpectedly signed a new contract.

Squad

It was great to see youth products Fagan, Webber and Liddle do so well, they could well provide the backbone of my defence for years to come (see the youth player thread). Like last season, the average age proved a problem as a lot of the players buckled under the pressure later on in the season.

Star Player

Just a shame we lost him for 2 months, he was awesome. Provided he stays at the club he should go on to become a club legend.

Career Overview

2020/21     Coca-Cola Championship 3rd             Lost in playoff semis
2021/22     Coca-Cola Championship 2nd             Promoted

Next Season

With the average age of the squad I honestly think this team has what it takes to make it in the Premier League in the next few years. I expect to stay in the league, with the odd star signing I wouldn't be suprised with a top half finish. My main aim though is to get the finances sorted, we have to mstop ground sharing and move away from Gigg Lane.

FC United 2022

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

He had his best season yet although he still has his careless streak yet again picking up 13 yellow cards. My coaches think he has leading Premier League potential and he has now made four appearances for the England under 21s, scoring once.

liddlehist.jpg

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

Another solid season. Like Liddle, my coaches think he has leading Premier League potential. He has made one appearance for the England under 20s.

faganhist.jpg

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

A fantastic debut season for what I think is my best youth player. Again, my coaches think he has leading Premier League potential. He has made two appearance for the England under 21s.

webberhist.jpg

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

It was nice to get a goalie but I've just spent a season introducing a new 17 year old Italian, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to introduce Sykes as we start our first Premier League season. I also had a decent leading PL potential DM who is touted as the next Owen Hargreaves but it was Sykes that my assistant picked out. Will I ever get a decent attacking player?

Season 2022/23 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

After promotion last season I was looking forward to taking my young talented squad into the top flight. I honestly thought a mid table finish was a possibility.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Eight games in and we still hadn't won a game, at that point I thought a relegation battle was on the cards. The form then picked up and a sensational second half to the season meant we finished in a fantastic 8th position.

The real story of the season however was the FA Cup where we had a bit of luck in the draw:

3rd Round      Huddersfield  0-2 FC United
4th Round      FC United     0-0 Stockport
4th Round rep  Stockport     0-2 FC United
5th Round      Crewe         0-0 FC United
5th Round rep  FC United     3-1 Crewe
6th Round      FC United     2-2 Middlesbrough
6th Round rep  Middlesbrough 0-3 FC United
Semi Final     Sheff Utd     1-1 FC United (2-3 pens)
Final          FC United     4-2 Aston Villa (AET)

The Final

It was a crazy game with a flurry of early goals, settled in extra time by a bit of magical finishing from my two star strikers. This FA Cup winning team featured four youth products in the starting lineup, with a fifth coming off the bench. This result has now seen myself appear on the favoured personnel list at the club at last.

Transfers

The two stars were the two free transfers who both featured heavily in my season.

Squad

Still very young and now featuring quite a few youth team players, this team is only going to get better and better.

Star Player

He's been unhappy all season about wanting to join a bigger club but his form has been immense. He's got three year left on his contract so hopefully there's time for him to change his mind. This season he was named as the 2021/22 European striker of the year. He also picked up the European Golden Boot this season

Career Overview

Season    League                   League Finish  Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10   Blue Square North        15th           FA Trophy semi finalists
2010/11   Blue Square North        5th            Playoff winners
2011/12   Blue Square Premier      14th          
2012/13   Blue Square Premier      8th
2013/14   Blue Square Premier      1st            Promoted as champions
2014/15   Coca-Cola League 2       1st            Promoted as champions
2015/16   Coca-Cola League 1       4th            Playoff winners
2016/17   Coca-Cola Championship   15th
2017/18   Coca-Cola Championship   16th
2018/19   Coca-Cola Championship   9th
2019/20   Coca-Cola Championship   8th
2020/21   Coca-Cola Championship   3rd            Lost in playoff semis
2021/22   Coca-Cola Championship   2nd            Promoted
2022/23   Barclays Premier League  8th            FA Cup winners

Next Season

Champions League qualification is the only real aim, apart from a new ground but I can't see that happening.

FC United 2023

With the club taking part in their first ever top flight season, the average ratings of teh youngsters took a bit of a dip. I still stuck with them though, making them the backbone of my team.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

Not the greatest of season from Liddle as he picked up another stupid number of yellow cards. Highlights of the season include his first goal for the England under 21s and starting in the FA Cup winning team.

liddlehis.jpg

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

Another slightly worrying performance as Fagan found his feet in the Premier League. Highlights of the season include breaking into the England under 21s team and starting in the FA Cup winning team.

faganhis.jpg

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

A solid season for Webber. Highlights include becoming a regular in the England under 21s team and starting in the FA Cup winning team.

webberhis.jpg

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

I threw him in at the deep end and made him my starting keeper in the Premier League at the age of 16. I fully expected to have to pull him out and replace him during the season but he did surprisingly well. His highlight was starting in the FA Cup winning team.

sykeshis.jpg

Mick Field

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

Promoted in the same season as Sykes I though I'd add him in since he has the potential to be a top player. He didn't feature much due to wonderkid Giuseppe Esposito, but he is unhappy so Field might become a regular if a big bid comes in. His highlight was making a sub appearance in the FA Cup winning team.

fieldhis.jpg

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

At last we have an attacking youth player come through the ranks. The coaches think he has the potential to be as good or better than Danny Shaw, I'd be rather pleased if that happened. I already have two top strikers at the club so it is going to be hard work fitting him in but I'm going to have to make sure he gets a fair share of games.

Just realised I'm limited to four images so had to double post after spending ages putting that together :(

Season 2023/24 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

With an 8th placed finish last season and a young squad I knew things were only going to get better and I was confident of qualifying for Europe, hopefully in the Champions League.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Absolutely gutted. For the first half of the season we were looking like title contenders but a mid season slump meant we were battling for a CL place. Disaster struck in the run in as we started dropping points all over the place, a defeat to Reading on the last day of the season meant we had amazingly failed to qualify for Europe at all.

Europa League

We had a fairly easy route through the group but eventually lost out to Ajax 3-2 in the 2nd knockout round.

Transfers

Our record signing came in the form of a wonderkid from Spurs, I was surprised they let him go, even for £15m. The other signings were youngsters for the future.

Squad

Can't really complain about anyone in the squad, everyone is happy and playing well and the youth team promotees are doing exceptionally well.

Star Player

Danny Shaw had a quiet season as Jordan Appleton took over from him as the leading striker. I'm still amazed that I managed to pick him up for nothing after Man Utd released him.

Career Overview

2023/24   Barclays Premier League  6th

Next Season

With no European football to play we really need to concentrate on the league, youngsters will be played in both cups in an attempt to fully focus all our efforts on securing a CL place.

FC United 2024

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

In the year Ben Liddle was announced as a wonderkid he had what was probably his best season yet. He's still picking up yellow cards for fun but he has become a regular in the England under 21 team.

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

A great season which brought his first goal, he's also become a regular in the England under 21 team. He has just been given the description wonderkid.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

Probably the star of my youth team, Theo Webber has now become a full England international.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

Still early days but he is putting in some decent performances, he has also appeared for the England under 21s.

Career

Mick Field

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

His first team opportunities have been limited due to strong competition from Giuseppe Esposito, but he has been impressive enough to break into the England under 21 team.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

He made a lot of sub appearances but still managed to impress enough to get into the England under 20 team. He is restricted by the quality of the two strikers I have so he only really features in cup matches or when we have injuries.

Career

Evan Day

Initial Profile

A promising winger, which is a position I have lots of players for but none of which are really that outstanding. I think I might sell some of them in order to make sure he gets a few games. The coaches think he has leading Premier League potential and could far exceed the player they consider to be the best in that position.

Season 2024/25 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

With the 6th placed finish last season and no European football to play, this season gave us a great opportunity to challenge at the top of the table.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

It was a thrilling season which had a fantastic title race between Arsenal and ourselves. In a crazy season, the last day of the season over-ran with a preview of the UEFA Super Cup and Champions League winners Portsmouth played Europa League winners Blackpool. Brilliantly, Blackpool won 2-1, escaping relegation.

Weak teams were put out in the two cups which resulted in early exits.

Transfers

No players in but there were a couple of disastrous transfers out as I sold my second unknown wonderkid Gordon for as little as £10m.

Squad

Superb stuff across the squad.

Star Player

The rock at the heart of my defence.

The Premier League Winning Starting XI

GK - Howard Sykes

Product from the youth team, thrown in at the age of 16 and hopefully can last a while.

DL - Theo Webber

The best looking of the youth products, considering moving him to centre back.

DR - Lee Fagan

Wonderkid youth product.

DC - Tim Ozim

Former wonderkid signed for just £325k from Steaua.

DC - Ben Liddle

Another youth product and former wonderkid.

DM - Giuseppe Esposito

Former wonderkid amazingly picked up on a free tranfer after being released from AC Milan.

MR - Kingsley Uzoma

Signed from Arsenal for £2.5m, will probably be replaced by another youth team player soon.

ML - Clayton Green

This is his 5th season at the club after a big money £2.8m move from Watford.

AMC - Tim Turkington

Club record signing at £15m, former wonderkid from Spurs.

ST - Danny Shaw

5th season at the club for the £1.5m signing from Barnsley.

ST - Jordan Appleton

Amazing free transfer picked up after being released from Man Utd.

Career Overview

2024/25   Barclays Premier League  1st            League winners

Next Season

Looking forward to our first season in the Champions League.

FC United 2025

In the team that won the Premier League, the youth players were going to find it hard to get into the team.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 profile

A reduction in the number of yellow cards \o/

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

Another great season for the former wonderkid but still no fill international cap.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

Up to four full caps now but still not described as a wonderkid.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

A drop in average rating but the number of clean sheets has gone up.

Career

Mick Field

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

Severely limited opportunities due to the brilliance of another player.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

I sold wonderkids to give him a chance as the backup striker, he did pretty well.

Career

Evan Day

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

Couldn't quite break into the first team but hopefully it will happen soon.

Career

New players: Chris Sheppard and Aaron Butterfield.

I'm not sure if these two will ever feature but the coaches think they could be worthy of a first team place in the future.

Season 2025/26 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

After winning the Premier League last season, this season was all about playing in Europe and trying to retain the title.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Nothing prepared me for the disastrous start to the season we had. In our first ten games, we won 3, drew 3 and lost 4, scoring just four goals. Things eventually picked up but even a great finish to the season meant we couldn't catch Arsenal who were superb.

Champions League

Group Stage

Couldn't have gone better really as we qualified top with a game to spare. A 7-4 demolition of Anderlecht followed then Valencia, the only team we failed to beat in the group stage came back to haunt us. After conceding late and drawing 1-1 away, we looked good to go through but somehow managed to lose 2-0 at home to end our first Champions League campaign a little earlier then we had hoped for.

FA Cup Final

A horrible way to lose, especially as we came second best to Arsenal for the second time this season.

Transfers

Mizrahi was signed as I expected Tim Turkington to leave, but he ended up being a £20m wonderkid backup as Tim changed his mind and stayed. Nick Morris was a bargain as Sunderland stupidly let the 23 year old world class full back leave for just £20m.

Squad

Another good squad perfromance and despite the slow start the strikers, now joined by youth product wonderkid Kevin Cooper, all managed a decent return. I'm still searching for a new right winger, there just doesn't seem to be any good ones about.

Star Player

The former wonderkid was the rock at the centre of midfield, who also created and scored a few goals mostly from set pieces.

Career Overview

2025/26   Barclays Premier League  2nd            FA Cup losing finalists

Next Season

Again, the aim is the Champions League, along with hoping for a new stadium.

FC United 2026

Last season the club won the Premier League so this season meant we were entering the Champions League. It meant more opportunities for youth players but at the same time more competition for places.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

He's finally starting to lose his place as the back four is shuffled around.

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

He's now made his international debut, coming on as a late sub against Slovenia.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

He never did pick up the wonderkid tag but he's picking up a few more caps and even got an international goal.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

I've stuck with him due to his potential and while his average rating is dropping, he is conceding less and getting more clean sheets. I'm starting to wonder whether he will ever be good enough for my team.

Career

Mick Field

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

Such a waste of a player as he yet again remains backup to my star player.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

Impressive third season from the wonderkid, he might even become a first choice next season.

Career

Evan Day

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

Another average season for my weak position, I'll have to decide whether to stick with him.

Career

Chris Sheppard

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

High potential but couldn't get anywhere near the first team. The only game he played was the CL game when we had already won the group.

Career

Aaron Butterfield

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

Another player with high potential who couldn't get near the first team.

Career

New Player:

Terry Warren

Initial Profile

Looks quality for his age, just a shame it is a position I have loads of players for. My coaches think he is currently League 2 standard and could go on to be a lot better than Theo Webber. I think I'm going to have to sell some centre backs to keep him in the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2026/27 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

After winning the league two seasons ago it was about time we mounted another title challenge and gave Arsenal some competition at the top.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

We just couldn't do it, Arsenal were far too strong and we were drawing too many games because we weren't scoring enough.

Champions League

Group Stage

Another easy group which allowed us to rest players in the final two games of the group.

We beat Bayern 4-2 in the next round, then beat Porto 3-1 in the quarter final then faced our nemesis Arsenal in the semi. We lost the home leg 1-0 then went down 2-0 away to end our European campaign once again.

FA Cup Final

After losing in the final last year this was brilliant, especially against rivals City.

Transfers

Just the one transfer as I blew our finances on the only quality right winger in the world.

Squad

I'm starting to lose faith in the youth products, so Sykes and Fagan could find themselves out of the team if I can replace them.

Star Player

The big money signing delivered.

Career Overview

2026/27   Barclays Premier League  2nd            FA Cup winners

Next Season

The stadium move is due to happen so just the one target left, the Champions League.

FC United 2027

I'm getting to the point where playing my youth players in actually hindering my team's progress, so a few of them may well face the axe in the near future.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

His days are numbered as he cannot get in the team and isn't really liked by a few members of the squad. He is transfer listed by request so he could leave this summer.

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

Despite three England caps I'm still unsure, my coaches think my young Irish right back could become better than Fagan.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

Another great season from the star of my youth system, he's picking up more caps despite not being an automatic choice and also managed to pick up a World Cup winners medal last summer.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

Due for the chop, he hasn't become as good as I was hoping. A new young goalie is already on his way who could replace him immediately.

Career

Mick Field

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

Yet another season out of the first team, I may stop reporting on him since he's never going to knock Esposito out of the team.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

He's suddenly exploded, winning two England caps and a £20m price tag which is attracting all the big clubs from around the world. Now all he needs to do is start scoring a few more goals.

Career

Evan Day

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

Backup winger who won't get too many games.

Career

Terry Warren

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

Just a handful of games but I expect him to challenge for a first team place in a few years time.

Career

New players: Danny Walker and Gary Wray

Since I've just brought in a new young goalie, I doubt Walker will get many games, he has a chance to prove himself though. Wray is fairly highly rated but I doubt he'll ever be as good as my two left wingers I already have.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2027/28 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

Once again, we were intent on regaining our Premier League crown from the dominant Arsenal. We were also chasing the elusive Champions League title.

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Arsenal were just far too strong for us, their goalscoring was obscene. We were keeping up with them but after their 1-0 win against us all but ended our title challenge we took our foot off the pedal and rested players to focus on the cup competitions.

Community Shield

It was nice to get one over Arsenal early on in the season, shame it couldn't last.

Carling Cup Final

After losing in the third round for the last five consecutive years it was a bit of a surprise to win this competition for the first time ever.

FA Cup Final

In a thrilling match we managed to retain the trophy as we made our third consecutive FA Cup final.

Champions League

Group Stage

Looked like a simple group but it was far from simple as we drew our first game against Bordeaux and Aberdeen pulled off a shock against Barca. In end it came down to a match between us an Barca to top the group and despite leading 2-0, we managed to lose 2-3 and finished 2nd in the group.

1st Knockout Round leg 1

A solid result that put us in a great position to progress.

1st Knockout Round leg 2

Ajax came back hard but we were able to hang on to make it through.

Quarter Final leg 1

Same story here, a decent first leg although the away goal was a blow.

Quarter Final leg 2

Once again they came back hard and we held on.

Semi Final leg 1

Arsenal outplayed us and looked certain to knock us out of the competition.

Semi Final leg 2

Complete fairytale stuff as we faced Arsenal in my 1000th match in charge of FC United. Nothing could have prepared me for this result.

Final

Youth product Kevin Cooper did the business in a match we dominated and won with relative ease.

Transfers

A few big transfers this year in Travers and two Italian wonderkids in Pastore and Pasini to act as extra attacking options. There were also a couple of big transfers out as Jordan Appleton left for Inter since he couldn't get into the team and unpopular youth product Ben Liddle joined Spurs.

Squad

The squad is starting to look real quality in all areas now, it also features seven players from my own youth system.

The Champions League winning team:

Howard Sykes

I keep trying to replce him but I've kept faith in this youth product. He may not look amazing but he has decent attributes in key areas and has been performing fairly well.

Lee Fagan

Another youth product I've been faithful to, he could be replaced but I like having him in the team.

Nick Morris

A world class left back who was picked up at the bargain price of £20m.

Theo Webber

Another youth product who just can't be dropped.

Tim Ozim

One of my best signings at just £325k, also became my first ever wonderkid.

Giuseppe Esposito

The heart of my midfield.

Paul Gee

Record signing at an extortionate £52m. Worth every penny.

Mickael Husson

Took a while to work his way into the team but this world class winger is fantastic, I just wish he would get more assists.

Tim Turkington

Often a weak position, but Tim has been in superb form this season creating and scoring a number of goals.

David Travers

After an injury crisis I finally landed a long term target for another big price of £30m, he was well worth it.

Kevin Cooper

Star of my youth system, he is going to rule the world. Just a shame he missed two months through injury.

Career Overview

2027/28   Barclays Premier League  2nd            FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League winners

Challenge Complete

FC United 2028

I've cut a few players out since I'd rather focus on the players who will get first team action.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

End of Season 9 Profile

The time finally came when I decided to get rid of my first ever youth product for the benefit of the rest of the team. £10m was a decent price for a player who was not getting in the team and was not liked by many members of the squad.

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

I had my doubts but I have stuck with him. A few more England caps have been added since last year, along with FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League winners medals.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

Same as Fagan really, five more caps and a hat full of medals. Webber was also named in the England seasonal best eleven and the Champions League dream team.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

I thought about replacing him but just couldn't. Along with the same three medals, Sykes came runner up in the European goalkeeper of the year.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

Wow. Although he hasn't quite become a natural goalscorer, Kevin Cooper has established himself as one of the top strikers in Europe. This season he was named in the Engand seasonal best eleven and the Champions League Dream Team. He was also awarded third place in the European striker of the year, the Champions League golden boot, the Champions League best player, and the English players' young player of the year.

Career

Terry Warren

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

Still limited opportunitites but I still think he has the potential to claim a first team place.

Career

New Player: Lewis Watt

Initial Profile

I've just signed a decent looking Italian left back as backup so I doubt he is going to get much of a chance.

Season 2028/29 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

Final League Table

League Positions Graph

Finally, the Arsenal dominance of the last three years has been broken as we finally regain our Premier League title.

Community Shield - not the best way to start the season losing to our title rivals.

UEFA Super Cup - another early blow as we suffered a late loss.

Carling Cup - the fringe players did pretty well to reach this stage.

Club World Championship - fairly simple stuff.

FA Cup - horrible way to lose in a match where we didn't really play too well.

Champions League - an amazing match where we won our second consecutive title.

Transfers

Just a couple of big money youngsters signed who both look like a bit of a waste of money. There is a couple of great looking players coming in next season though:

Giorgos Kokolakis - £6.25m for this wonderkid who will be a backup for Paul Gee.

Giannis Tsiakas - £12m for an amazing looking defender who I have been trying to sign for at least a year.

Squad

A decent spread of contributions to the goals and assists this season. It would be nice to have a 30 goal striker but I can't really complain about them spreading it between themselves.

Star Player

Again, the big money signing delivered in all areas, he's also scored quite a few penalties which have boosted his goals tally.

Career Overview

2027/28   Barclays Premier League  2nd            FA Cup, Carling Cup and Champions League winners
2028/29   Barclays Premier League  1st            League, CWC and Champions League winners

After completing the challenge last season I've also now taken on the Holland job with a view to making the World Cup next season. Qualification is currently looking good, unbeaten after four games.

FC United 2029

Things are getting difficult for the youth players at the moment as the club is now competing at the very top level and not many of the youth players are up to that standard.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

End of Season 9 Profile

End of Season 10 Profile

He's had a fairly poor second season at Spurs and selling him for £10m is looking like a great move. His discipline problem still appears to be there as well.

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

End of Season 9 Profile

He's lost his place in the England squad and he's starting to lose his place in my team.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

Another solid season for club and country, although he's not really progressed as much as I hoped he would.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

He just can't be dropped, although he doesn't look too great he has good key attributes which seem to be the reason for his solid performances.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

His value has dropped a bit but he still had a decent season. He is sharing the goalscoring with his strike partner which is probably the reason why he doesn't score more.

Career

Terry Warren

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

A few more games for Warren this season although he might find it harder next season with a new defender set to join the club.

Career

New Player: Joe Palmer

Initial Profile

An interesting looking goalkeeper who might be able to give Sykes a bit of competition.

Season 2029/30 Review - FC United in the Barclays Premier League

Premier League - we fairly dominant and could afford a poor run of form late on.

Community Shield - a tight game that really shouldn't have been.

UEFA Super Cup - a bizarre game in which we literally made the most of our chances.

Carling Cup - put the kids out and they couldn't do the job.

Club World Championship - simple stuff again.

FA Cup - bit of a shock result, I played my first team but just couldn't beat them.

Champions League - a repeat of last year's final, should have been a much bigger scoreline. That makes it three in a row now.

Transfers

The first two I mentioned last season but there was quite a lot of players going out which meant there were going to be a couple of signings:

Tony Franklin - he's world class striker but I bought him to play AMC, he managed to score quite a lot thanks to taking the penalties.

Panagiotis Nikolaidis - not quite sure why I bought him, yet another waste of money because I was convinced I had found the next big thing. He'll end up sitting in the reserves until i sell him.

Aaron Baldwin - youth player Lee Fagan left for Roma so this wonderkid was his replacement.

I suppose I should mention the star signing again, Giannis Tsiakas looks like daylight robbery for just £12m.

Squad

Real quality in all areas now, it is getting pretty hard to improve the squad.

Star Player

Signed as a wonderkid backup a while ago he has somehow become my main striker.

Career Overview

2028/29   Barclays Premier League  1st            League, CWC and Champions League winners
2029/30   Barclays Premier League  1st            League, CWC and Champions League winners

Holland - World Cup 2030

Holland vs Mexico

A tough game against the hosts which we were a bit unlucky to lose.

Holland vs Chile

A bad draw in a game which we should have won. Injuries then hit us bad as three strikers managed to get injured.

Holland vs Australia

After six minutes we lost our last striker and got easily beaten by what surprisingly turned out to be the group winners.

Group H

I really thought this would be a fairly easy group to qualify from, it wasn't. My plan was always to resign after the World Cup but the Dutch FA took that decision away from me and sacked me after the Australia game.

FC United 2030

Again, the current stature of the club means it is getting increasingly difficult to give youth players chances unless they are exceptional so I'm keeping it brief and only reporting on the ones who look set to have interesting careers. I should also add that the screenshots were taken before the World Cup, so not all the international data will be up to date.

Ben Liddle

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

End of Season 9 Profile

End of Season 10 Profile

End of Season 11 Profile

He's not making a huge impact at Spurs but at least he is playing regularly now.

Career

Lee Fagan

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

End of Season 9 Profile

End of Season 10 Profile

After coming close to losing his place and then deciding he wanted a new challenge, Lee Fagan became the second youth project to be sold, for £10m to Roma. It might not be the best move for him as he currently can't get in the team. Fagan made the squad but didn't appear for England in the World Cup.

Career

Theo Webber

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

End of Season 9 Profile

Disaster for Theo as he broke his leg and missed five months of the season. Theo made just two sub appearances in the World Cup.

Career

Howard Sykes

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

End of Season 8 Profile

After sticking by him, Howard Sykes is really repaying me by starting to look like the keeper I was hoping he would become five years ago. He's even managed to get into the England team. Sykes played every game for England in the World Cup although they lost in the final.

Career

Kevin Cooper

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

End of Season 5 Profile

End of Season 6 Profile

End of Season 7 Profile

Another quiet season for Kevin Cooper as it looks like he will not become the monster I was hoping he would. Shockingly, Kevin Cooper was left out of the England squad for the World Cup.

Career

Terry Warren

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 Profile

End of Season 2 Profile

End of Season 3 Profile

End of Season 4 Profile

The injury to Theo meant Terry Warren got a decent chance in the team. He's starting to improve now and may well give Theo a run for his money. He's just gained wonderkid status.

Career

New Player: Sean Foulkes

Initial Profile

Decent looking winger who could be the long term answer to replacing my captain. It might be hard to give him any games in the meantime though.

• 5 months later...

Well, at least you completed the challenge before it died. Had a nice career going as well, am i correct in assuming you won everything you could with the club in the top league? (league, FA cup, League cup, CWC, Champions league) ?

Archived