[FM09] It Began In Africa

Charlesbeams

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, ill need it.

only played one game with them so far, and quite surprisingly beat Papua New Guinea 2-0.

also i noticed that F.C.A.K are now champions of the league, and are promoted haha.

i kept declaring interest in CC Mariners, and they said i was ideal for the job, but nothing happened after about 10 times, tried again, and now they dont want me at all.

Season 2010/11

Not a lot happened this season, resigned from FCAK, and eventually took the New Caledonia job. other than that, the majority of the season was spent searching for a job.

Australia - 1

Brazil - 1 2 3 4

England - 1 2 3

Hong Kong - 1

Mexico - 1 2

South Africa - 1 2

Champions League

Europa League

Super Cup

Season   Club             Division                             Pos  Other
2008/09  F.C.A.K.         South African 1st Division Inland    3rd  none
2009/10  F.C.A.K.         South African 1st Division Inland    6th  First Division Cup Winner
2010/11  F.C.A.K.         South African 1st Division Inland    n/a  Resigned
2010/11  New Caledonia    n/a                                  n/a  Appointed Manager     

season summary for 2011/12 coming up after Euro 2012 and all leagues summarys are up.

Season 2011/12

After taking the New Caledonia job, i kept looking for jobs elsewhere, but no luck at all. Played a few friendlies, won one, lost one, and i have another in October.

At the end of most leagues seasons, i declared interest in Happy Valley from Hong Kong, and they immediately sacked their manager and offered me the job, which i took.

Happy Valley appoint Beams as manager

Happy Valley were founded in 1950 and play in the Hong Kong First Division. Games are played at M-ong Kok Stadium which holds 8200 people, and they are paying 75k a year rent for it. They have 23 competition wins to their name, something ill have to look to increase, they won the league 6 times, runner up 15 times, and various cup wins aswell.

Looking at the players, they look fairly poor, but im sure i can get rid of some, and bring some in, i mainly need to bring in some right and left sided midfielders, possibly a striker.

So ive joined a new team and its at the end of the season so no games to play, and now i have a full season ahead of me, and hopefully ill enjoy it.

Elsewhere

Australia - 1

England - 1 2 3

Hong Kong - 1

Mexico - 1 2

South Africa - 1 2

Euro 2012

Champions League

Europa League

Super Cup

nothing from brazil as they play at different times and the season isnt finished. i think i messed a few of these up maybe.

also im not allowed to type **** so i had to put M-ong.

Hong Kong should be interesting, and with Happy Valley you should be challenging for silverware. And of course in HK there's plenty of oppurtunity for that, there's 4 competitions iirc.

Good luck with New Caledonia, if you could get close to winning the ONC or getting WC qualification that would be impressive.

wooo, delighted you finally found a job!

how do you rate your chances this season in Hong Kong then?

i've never managed there myself, but i know somebody who has and he said the players arent amazing...

well Happy Valley are apparently quite a good side, so im hoping i do well really, predicted 4th, so hopefully i can finish there or higher.

Good luck at Happy Valley :thup: I had a game in FM08 in which i played as Happy Valley and really enjoyed it. Hopefully, you'll enjoy it in HK too.

So far im enjoying playing in HK, only half way through the season though, hopefully i can do a bit better than i did in SA.

Good luck charlesbeams!In my currect game with TM Progoal, Happy Valley becomes my relegation rival!!I hope your adventure would be better! :D

Ahh, TM Progoal got relegated last season on mine, so i wont be playing them any time soon.

Hong Kong should be interesting, and with Happy Valley you should be challenging for silverware. And of course in HK there's plenty of oppurtunity for that, there's 4 competitions iirc.

Good luck with New Caledonia, if you could get close to winning the ONC or getting WC qualification that would be impressive.

yeah there is 3 competitions i am in, but i noticed that nobody gets into the Asian Champions League, only Asian Confederations Cup, and i have to finish top 2 to get into that.

Yeah New Caledonia arent the best team around, hopefully i can do something with them, unlikely though.

Cheers for the replies everyone aswell, small update coming up right after this

So i moved to Hong Kong, first things i did really were move players to reserves, and start looking at players to bring in.

I brought in 8 players overall, but im happiest with 30 year old Xu Liang, yeah he's old but for 5k i thought it was a bargain to be honest.

I sold one of my left backs for 85k aswell, i could easily replace him aswell, and did with a player i bought when i was at FCAK, Asanda Jamile.

I tried to sign Nacho Novo, but i couldnt afford the wages :( but i did bring in a new striker and im hoping he can help me get a few more goals. Sun Lin.

Not doing amazingly well in the league, but its good enough for me really, and im quite happy how things are going.

The biggest news is that i won the Senior Challenge Shield, which i was very happy about, the match was pretty tense, as they came from behind to be ahead at half time, before we brought it to 2-2 and then winning on penalties.

Happy Valley win the Hong Kong Senior Challenge Shield

League Table

Transfers

Finances

Squad

Steady start there in the league and well done on winning the Senior Challenge Shield :thup: Some good signings too, especially Xu Liang. You obviously know about the number of foreigners rule but i'm not sure if you're aware of Chinese players? In case you're not, iirc Chinese players only take 2-3 years to gain HK citizenship which would obviously help in the foreigner rule as once they'd become HK citizen's, it would allow you to sign more, quality foreigners.

Good work so far at HVAA...hopefully you can turn them into a force within Asia.

12 games into the league now and its very close at the top. Yeah i noticed the foreigners rule, i have 6 at the club right now, some of the Chinese players only have a year or two left, so thats pretty good, but some like Asanda Jamile still has 2500+ days to go :(

I noticed that a HK team has competed in the Asian Champions League, but looking at the previous years on here, there havnt been any in it at all, do you now how i could possibly get in it at all?

From my previous experiences, when i first won the HK league i was entered into the Asian Conf. Cup. It took me a fair few years to win the Conf. Cup but once i did, whenever i won the HK league again, i was entered into the Asian Champions League. I think qualification to the ACL works along the lines of league reputation. IIRC, qualification slots are given to the top 10 asian league's so me winning the Conf. Cup upped the HK league's reputation allowing me to compete in it.

On FM it seems to be if you win the Conf Cup, your country's teams qualify for the ACL the next season, like a promotion to it. Information here on FMWiki (I wrote it, I hope it's right :p). It's the same between the President's Cup and Conf Cup, the winner of the President's Cup 1 year qualifies for the Conf Cup the next year, depending on the league winners. (Think the 3rd level cup is called the President's Cup, it was on FM08 at least).

Thanks.

Am i right in thinking ill have to win the league, then win Confederations Cup, then the league again, to qualify for Asian Champions League?

not going to be easy at all, but its not top priority anyway, i could possibly go for the ACL if i move to Australia, who knows.

joeissimo - i was quite surprised to see some of the players that were willing to join, specially Nacho Novo, just wish i had the wages so he would actually join :p Also i got TM Progoal in the 1st round of the FA Cup.

doing well still 2nd in the league and 3 points ahead of 3rd after 14 games, knocked out of the league cup though.

Yes that's right, from my experience.

Cool, doesn't sound like it'll be easy.

slight update before the end of season summary.

Im into another final after a great game against Sun Hei, i was playing most of extra time with 9 men, after a player was injured and then 3 minutes later got a red card, but we just got through on penalties. I'll be playing in Eastern the final.

Also i only have 4 league games to go and im currently sitting in 1st, but only by 2 points if i can get atleast 2 more wins ill be guaranteed a confederations cup spot.

should have a season summary up later tonight.

Season 2012/13

As we know i already won the Senior Shield, and i then got to the final of the FA Cup Final.

Hong Kong FA Cup Final

I also mentioned i only had 4 league games left, and with 2 games left i needed a win or draw against challengers Eastern to win the league.

Happy Valley vs Eastern

League Table

Squad

Transfers

Finances

Overall im happy with how the season went, i think we can easily replace some of the worse players, only problem is that the Hong Kong players arent that great, but hopefully ill beable to bring some better ones in, and i dont really want to keep getting too many foreign players.

Fans Player of the Year

Young Player of the Year

Manager of the Year

Team of the Year

Regens: only two worth noting really

GK - Choy Chau Ming

AM L - Chu Chung Hung

2009/10  F.C.A.K.         South African 1st Division Inland    6th  First Division Cup Winner
2010/11  New Caledonia    n/a                                  n/a  Appointed Manager     
2011/12  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               n/a  Appointed Manager
2012/13  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, Senior Shield Winner, FA Cup Runner Up

sorry for the rubbish update. i stopped with the season summaries aswell, if anyone really wants me to put them up, just say.

Cheers.

Right, quick question about ACC and ACL, two HK teams got to the final of ACC, which Kitchee won, so am i right in thinking that if i win the league this season, ill be in the ACL next season?

Small update, got a Brazilian scout in, and now i keep getting linked with random Brazilians, ended up signing 2, and also got a Hong Kong player who plays for the national team.

DC - Roni

DM MC - Arnon

ML C - Lam Ka Wai

Only played 9 games this season, but its going alright, sitting near the top, just think we need to score more, had alot of 1-0 wins.

As for New Caledonia, the OCE Nations Cup preliminary groups were drawn, ive been drawn with American Samoa, Fiji, Samoa, and Tahiti. To be honest i think ill end up leaving if i dont qualify.

Right, forget all that ACC and ACL will i get in, will i not.

Because Kitchee won the ACC, it meant that the last team to win the league go into the ACL, that team being us. Its a little confusing because it starts in march, so ill possibly be playing in the ACL still when im into the next season, as it ends in November. So really i have Kitchee to thank for me getting into it.

Asian Champions League Group Stage

I need to win my group to get through though, going to be tough.

Well done, or i should say well done to Kitchee, for getting you into the ACL ;) Pretty tough group there with both the Glory and Antlers sure to prove tough opposition. I hope you haven't got too many foreigners in your squad as iirc, the ACL only allows 3 foreigners.

I struggled to start with too as there was a real lack of HK talent but eventually a few good regens came through. The best way i got round it was signing Chinese players then in 2-3 years they gained HK citizenship, bumping my domestic player count up.

Yeah i dont really expect to do alot this year, but possibly in a few years time, but who knows where ill be then, i think when i do leave (no idea when), i'd love to return to Happy Valley or even another HK club. Doubt i'd go back to SA though, didnt like it as much, might be because i didnt do well though ;)

Quick Update before the last few games of the season

Currently 1st in the league, but its still pretty close with only 3 games left to play, so i need to win those last 3 games really.

I won the League Cup, but it was fairly close with a 92nd minute winner.

Asian Champions League

I surprised myself in the group stage, first game against Antlers, i was 4-1 down and brought it back to 4-4, then i won the next 2 games but drew the 5th , and i have one game left against Perth Glory, and i have to win to get through.

Hong Kong FA Cup

im into the HK FA Cup final, and will play Sun Hei, which could be tough, but we'll see, if i win this, and the league, then thats 2 cups and a league this season :) better than last season.

update to come once it gets to August and the season summary is there.

Happy Valley Season 2013/14

This season i was expected to win the league again, and things started off ok, but we werent really scoring many, and i thought we might not get what was expected of us. As you can see in the last post i had 3 games left to play, we drew the first of those, but got the 2 wins, meaning we retained the title.

Happy Valley retain League Title

Two players i want to mention are goalkeeper Sun Shoubo and striker Sun Lin, i think without these two, things wouldnt have been the same at all.

Looking at next season, i got rid of a few players that i really didnt need, and would never make it to the first team, im looking at bringing in only one or two players really, as i think two players in my team now are awaiting citizenship, bring in the foreigners.

Top Goalscorer

Manager of the Year

Team of the Year

Hong Kong FA Cup Final

We also knew i was in the final of the FA Cup, it was a fairly easy game to be honest, Sun Hei hardly have any chances, and with that and the League win, completed the Treble.

League Table

League Stats

Squad

Finances

Transfers

Asian Champions League

I had to win or draw against Perth Glory to win the group, but unfortunately we couldnt even get a goal against them, and we ended up losing 2-0, but overall im really happy with how well we did.

World Cup 2014

2011/12  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               n/a  Appointed Manager
2012/13  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, Senior Shield Winner, FA Cup Runner Up
2013/14  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners
2013/14  New Caledonia    n/a                                  n/a  Resigned 

im not waiting until August, i was only going to post Regens but alot of the time they are rubbish anyway.

Congrats on the treble CB :thup: No easy feat to retain your title in any country. The 2 players you mentioned look good, hopefully they can do the business for you again next season. I noticed they are Chinese, so maybe another couple of seasons for them and they'll take up citizenship to ease the pressure on you finding HK players. Are there any decent HK regens coming through yet? I've had quite a few in my game, of which some are now playing for Italian and English clubs...who have lead HK to the world cup and 43rd in the world!

Good work so far :thup:

Cheers.

The keeper was already at the club and has citizenship already which is good, and the striker only has 61 days left. Ive not noticed many great HK players yet, there are a few though, i recently got a regen keeper as back up who isnt too bad - Lau Man Keung

Ive strengthened the squad a bit more this season aswell, and things are going really well in the league, not sure whats going to happen with ACL or ACC yet though.

Cheers.

Im really enjoying playing in this league :p but its probably because im winning alot.

And ive been linked with alot of League 1 and League 2 English teams, but i really dont want to be going there so soon, i think if i could win ACL or ACC some bigger teams might be a bit more interested.

A few new signings i made this season.

ST - Jun Atsumi - signed last season

DL - Zheng Chengming

ST - Robertty

Im still looking for an AMR or MR.

Signed a few others but they are pretty average really.

I know im just going to end up with loads of Chinese and Brazilian players :p

As for the league, im currently top and unbeaten, but Sun Hei are right behind so beating them will be vital. 11 games to go. No luck in the Senior Shield again :( knocked out in the quarter final. Got the news of ACC or ACL and im in ACL again :) hopefully i can get through the group this time.

ACL Group - could be tough, but i thought that last time and only lost once.

Happy Valley Season 2014/15

Another season with Happy Valley, and im still enjoying it, and we went into the season having won the treble last season. Things started well, and to be honest, went well all the way through, only things that went wrong were in Cups, only winning one of a possible 4.

Was happy we retained the title again, but i kind of think it might get a little boring if it keeps on going this way. Ill have another shot at ACC or ACL, im kind of hoping ACC to be honest, as it might be a little easier for me.

Happy with the keeper again, only conceding 6 of the 7 goals in the league. We only lost one game aswell, and it was a game we really should have won, but we won the league, thats what matters.

Another player ill mention, Cui Bin, a Chinese regen i bought from Shenzen 2 (China), scored some important goals and was pretty much first name on the team sheet. I wonder what his rating might have been had his disciplinary record been better.

League Table

League Stats

Squad

Transfers - a little confused at why there is a load of Norwegians or something

Finances

HK Footballer of the Year

Top Goalscorer

Manager of the Year

Team of the Year

Senior Shield Challenge - Knocked out in Quarter Final.

League Cup - Knocked out in Group Stage.

FA Cup - Winners.

Asian Champions League - Knocked out in Group Stage.

2013/14  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, FA Cup Winners, League Cup Winners
2014/15  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, FA Cup Winners

Another double winning season :thup: Cui Bin is looking like he's going to be a great signing!

I too am a little confused about the Scandinavian's released from your club. Were they youngsters from your academy that you released or is it just a mistake?

Another double winning season :thup: Cui Bin is looking like he's going to be a great signing!

I too am a little confused about the Scandinavian's released from your club. Were they youngsters from your academy that you released or is it just a mistake?

Yeah, never seen these guys before, just turned up on the transfer history screen :p i cant click on them either, like they've retired.

Its a good read Charlesbeams. Congratulations on the hat-trick of league wins.

Do you feel like you have some unfinished business in Africa for later in your career?

Its a good read Charlesbeams. Congratulations on the hat-trick of league wins.

Do you feel like you have some unfinished business in Africa for later in your career?

Cheers.

Yeah i think it'd be nice to go back to Africa at some point, and try to win the premier league or something.

EDIT: Some new signings i made.

D/WBR - Wang Xin

AMC - Cassinho

AMRL - Ricardo

more Brazilians again :p im just hoping a few players gain citizenship this year, doesn't look like it'll be happening though

Just spent a slow afternoon catching up with your career Charles.

Its nice to see careers in other countries :thup:

I managed a SA club a couple of FMs ago but the league structure seems to have changed, like yourself I can't say it was one of my favoured ones though.

Congrats for your trophies with Happy Valley :)

Any thoughts on where you want to head next, maybe a challenge of winning a trophy on every continent?

Just spent a slow afternoon catching up with your career Charles.

Its nice to see careers in other countries :thup:

I managed a SA club a couple of FMs ago but the league structure seems to have changed, like yourself I can't say it was one of my favoured ones though.

Congrats for your trophies with Happy Valley :)

Any thoughts on where you want to head next, maybe a challenge of winning a trophy on every continent?

Cheers for reading.

Yeah SA wasnt so fun really, hopefully i can go back after ive been to all the other countries, and see if i can do any better.

It'd be nice to win a trophy of some sort in each Continent, and its going well so far :p

As for where im heading, im unsure, Australia or Mexico i presume, as England is definitely my last destination.

Tiny Update:

League couldnt have gone any better really, only 4 games played, but 13 goals for and 0 against, and the Brazilian-Japanese guy only got 12 league goals in 29 goals while he's been here, and is currently on 4 in 5.

I really feel i cant do much else with Happy Valley, i know there is still ACL and ACC, but i dont think ill be getting them anytime soon, but they are a team i'd love to come back to in the future. Ill finish this season, but i think i might be moving on after it, where ill be going i dont know, possibly Mexico, Brazil or Australia.

Im hoping i can win all trophies this season, i almost did it in the 2nd season, but missed out on the Senior Shield.

EDIT:

This is my last chance at ACL. Im thinking, if i get through the groups, ill stay and see how far i can get.

Happy Valley 2015/16

My 4th season with Happy Valley, and most likely my last.

My main reason for leaving, is that i dont really think i can do anything else for them, only other thing is ACL or ACC, and i dont think i have any chance of getting through the group stage.

Ill most likely be going to Australia next, but im going to wait and see what jobs come up first.

League Table

Squad

Finances

Transfers

Senior Shield - Winners, 2nd time ive won this since i joined.

League Cup - Winners, again only 2nd time ive won it.

FA Cup - Winners, 3rd time in a row.

Asian Champions League - lost in group stage

Great season overall, winning all the domestic cups, only really having problems in the Asian Champions League, again.

Footballer of the Year

Top Goalscorer

Fans' Player of the Year

Manager of the Year

Team of the Year

So now im going to wait until august, possibly apply for some jobs if i see any i think i might get, possibly declare interest in a team or two.

EURO 2016

2014/15  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, FA Cup Winners
2015/16  Happy Valley     Hong Kong 1st Division               1st  League Winners, FA Cup Winners, League Winners, Senior Shield Winners

Archived