[FM09] The Gate is Open for other Avenues....

ToMexico!!

Game: FM09

Version: 9.0.3/ Weegie Update 26/06/09

Leagues Loaded: England (BSS/N & Above), France (CFA & Above) and Spain (Segunda B & Above)

My first Career game on FM09, after just completing Gundo's Challenge. I hope to have a career spanning over many seasons and many clubs.

The reasoning on selecting my first club instead of going unemployed was due to having rubbish clubs usually to choose from. I support Newcastle in real life so opted for a club near them and Gateshead were my choice. Having just been promoted into the Blue Square Premier from the BS North, they were predicted to finish 23rd in the league.

We had a healthy balance to begin with, over the 200k mark, which always helps and a 11k plus seater stadium, another factor to building a great club. Squad wise we were ok, Armstrong was the player who stood out the most, would he prove pivotal in the forth coming season?

2008/09 - Gateshead - Blue Square Premier

Predicted: 23rd

Finished: 4th - Table

FA Cup: 2nd Round

FAT Trophy: Final - WINNERS

Setanta Shield: Semi Final

Transfers - Only 5 players came in, 3 loans, Zamblera from Newcastle Reserves, Henderson and Meyler from new parent club Sunderland. Two players came in on transfers, Morrison for 1k from Sheff Utd and Godsmark on a free, a player who once was with Newcastle.

Was very surprised with my 4th place finish and a playoff spot. We were rewarded with a Semi Final with Oxford, who had beaten 2 weeks earlier 3-0 at ours, time for revenge maybe. Thats just what happened, we beat them 3-0 at ours before losing 2-0 at theirs, setting up the final with Luton who we had beaten twice in the league this season. We lost 3-2 but could have been so different, we quickly went 2-0 down before, bringing it back to 2-1 just before half time, a Luton own goals drew us level setting up a tense finish before a silly mistake led to a corner where our LB sliced into his own net. Cheers.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer: Armstrong, 32

Most Assists: Phillips, 27

Most MOM: Armstrong

Ave Rating: Zamblera, 7.37

Finances, a little improvement on the beginning of the season, Wembley appearance helped.

Affiliates, may change my parent club, i was originally hoping for Newcastle.

Aims for Season

• Play-offs Spot again
  • Improve Squad
  • Decrease Wage Bill

Season |League          |Finished |FA Cup      |Europe          |Achievements
08/09  |BSP             |4th      |2nd Rnd     |-               |FA Trophy Winners

ToMexico!! (what a brilliant name!),

maybe I'm being dim, it has been known :o, but for 08/09 , at your media prediction and league finish, it says BSNorth - but in your summary table at the bottom it says BSpremier??

BTW, it'd be great if you could get Newcastle for your parent, seeing as that's your team IRL.

ToMexico!! (what a brilliant name!),

maybe I'm being dim, it has been known :o, but for 08/09 , at your media prediction and league finish, it says BSNorth - but in your summary table at the bottom it says BSpremier??

BTW, it'd be great if you could get Newcastle for your parent, seeing as that's your team IRL.

So it does, thats me being dim, i'm not sure why i have put that. I will edit.

2009/10 - Gateshead - Blue Square Premier

Predicted: 13th

Finished: 1st - Winners

FA Cup: 3rd Round Replay

FAT Trophy: First Round

Setanta Shield: Third Round

Transfers - Some good signings for Gateshead this season, including some ex Premier League players, like Bruno N'Gotty and Antoine Sibierski who added that bit of experience and class to the squad. Another decent signing for the future was Hansen, who left Liverpool. The only players to leave were those who were out of contract and not good enough for my team.

A tight season overall, we started well, taking a Play-Off spot from practically day one. We fell a couple of games behind due to cups and we fell to 12th/13th by no fault of my own. We soon won those games in hand and got back up to 3rd. We never left the play-offs there after and cut the deficit game by game and caught table topping Oxford. Four games to go, we were 1 point behind, we finally got one over Oxford, after not beating them this season by leap frogging them to the top of the table with 2 games to go. We won both of our remaining games to win the league by 4 points, one short of the magical 100 mark.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer: Mikaelsson, 20

Most Assists: Eikrem, 17

Most MOM: Harwood, 6

Ave Rating: Mikaelsson, 7.24

Finances, are crap, we lost a couple of hundred grand.

Affiliates, we kept Sunderland as our Parent club for the season as they sent us a very good CM. I was given the option to change to either Hartlepool, Preston or Middlesborough which i have taken up.

Aims for Season

• Survive
  • Make some money
  • Find a decent 25+ goals a season striker.

Season |League          |Finished |FA Cup      |Europe          |Achievements
08/09  |BSP             |4th      |2nd Rnd     |-               |FA Trophy Winners
09/10  |BSP             |1st      |3rd Rnd     |-               |Champions/Promoted

Well done on promotion :thup: Can i ask, how much did you sign Mikaelsson and Eikrem for? I had them on 08 with my Burton save and they were amazing...glad to see they're doing the business for you!

Well done on promotion :thup: Can i ask, how much did you sign Mikaelsson and Eikrem for? I had them on 08 with my Burton save and they were amazing...glad to see they're doing the business for you!

Both on free's from Aston Villa and Man Utd, highish wages for both at such a low level but worth it as you can see. Hoping with some new coaches and maybe a new regime they will improve muchly.

That is mad.

I signed Hansan aswell but he was only back-up for me at Rovers. Coincidence or what

Had a fantastic season for me, super amount of clean sheets always helps. Has great handling for such a young player and for a low level as this.

Hey ToMexico!!, I remember reading through a couple of your careers on the career thread last year and enjoying them.

I'll be reading through your updates on here with interest. Very good start to your career with Gateshead. :thup:

C.

Thanks, yeh I had a couple of good careers on 08. Most memorably the Slovenian/Slovakian team, then moving to Gratkorn, Frankfurt and finally to Juventus. Easily my most enjoyable game on any FM series.

I have indeed started well with Gateshead, i've also had various offers from League One and Two sides, Bristol Rovers, Mansfield, Oxford and Lincoln to name a few. Want to stick it here and at least make Gateshead a safe League two side.

Any reason why you've only loaded England, France and Spain for this career? Guess it is because FM09 runs slower on your computer?

I only ask because I remember you loaded quite a lot of leagues in your FM08 careers. I'm sure there will be plenty of depth in your career from those leagues. :)

Good luck in League Two. :thup:

C.

Any reason why you've only loaded England, France and Spain for this career? Guess it is because FM09 runs slower on your computer?

I only ask because I remember you loaded quite a lot of leagues in your FM08 careers. I'm sure there will be plenty of depth in your career from those leagues. :)

Good luck in League Two. :thup:

C.

Mainly due to speed of the game, read of lot of people have loaded up 5/6/7/8 + nations and have regretted it. All three leagues have 3+ tiers which gives that variety, that 5+ nations would give, for example in my previous careers i've loaded the likes of Slovakia or Austria which have 2 tiers, much easier to get to the top in those than the English or Spanish leagues isn't it.

Preseason is over and had a mixed bag of results against much tougher/higher opposition this year. Gone over my wages budget but have built a pretty good squad for a League Two side. Will be interesting where i finish this coming season.

I started poorly with Gateshead and as we were languishing in 22nd place, relegation looked likely. Swansea for some reason sacked their manager and offered me the job. They were 5th in League One, i jumped ship.

3 games later i've decided it was a bad idea. Not won a game as of yet. Falling rapidly. Will hopefully complete the season with them and see where i go from there.

2010/11 - Gateshead - Blue Square Premier

Predicted: 23rd - Position when I left

FA Cup: Qualified for 3rd Round before I left

League Cup: 1st Round

St Johnstones Paint: 2nd Round

Transfers - No money spent again, 10 players came in during the summer from various clubs and countries. Chatilla and Martin the pick of the players.

We made a poor start, not winning in around 6 games, before we slowly picked up a few points here and there to move us up to 13th at December. Thats when Swansea obviously noticed my talent and offered me their vacant position. I accpeted as they gave me 2.3mil to spend and were sitting 5th in League One.

Squad/Stats at December 2010

• 4th Decemeber 2010 - Took over Swansea City in League One

2010/11 - Swansea City - League One

Predicted - 5th

Position December 2010 - 5th

Finished - 5th - PROMOTED via Play-offs

Transfers - highlighted are my seasons transfers for Swansea. Bayon was the pick of my signings.

Even though we were 5th, it meant nothing, the morale was low and the results proved that. We quickly dropped to 13th at one point, before the draws turned into wins and moved back up to 5th and that vital Play-Off place. We were drawn with MK Dons in the Semi Final, churning out a 4-1 home victory to settle the nerves. Away at Stadium: MK was much different chances at each end resulting in a thrilling 3-3 draw. Into the final we went, coming up against a tough Walsall side who had dispatched Crewe in the other Semi.

A half full Wembley stadium was entertained by a good first half display from Swansea, Traore putting us up 1-0 after 7 minutes before a Ferrie Bodde piledriver secure a 2-0 lead. The second half was highlightless. We were promoted.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer: Traore, 28

Most Assists: Britton, 17

Most MOM: Traore, 8

Ave Rating: Traore, 7.19

Finances - are of a decent size, i didn't spend any of the 2.3m available for transfers, leaving it for next season. We are due a new sponsorship deal this coming season.

Aims for Next Season

• Championship survival
  • Removed Deadwood
  • Update Backroom Staff

Season |Team          |League          |Finished |FA Cup      |Europe          |Achievements
08/09  |Gateshead     |BSP             |4th      |2nd Rnd     |-               |FA Trophy Winners
09/10  |Gateshead     |BSP             |1st      |3rd Rnd     |-               |Champions/Promoted
10/11  |Gateshead     |League Two      |-        |-           |-               |Left in December 2010
10/11  |Swansea       |League One      |5th      |3rd Round   |-               |Promoted via Playoffs

2011/12 - Swansea City - Championship

Predicted - 22nd

Finished - 5th

Fa Cup: 3rd Round v QPR

Carling Cup: 2nd Round v Sheff Utd

Transfers - we were given 2.3mil to spend, a decent amount for a side wanting to battle relegation. There were a couple of players that i knew i would be able to sell to boost the finances. Nathan Dyer went for 650k to boost the finances to 2.9mil.

First to come in were Frank Queudrue and David Healy, both for free and they had that Premiership/Championship experience. I then found that Everton were only looking for 250k for their young striker Jutkiewicz. We then signed Shittu as back up. Transfer listed Romeu Riberio came in for 160k from Benfica as cover for centre midfield. The 2 big money transfers came in January. Newcastle offered me Daniel de Ridder for 1.2mil, he was snapped up as first choice RM. I then signed Sheff Weds right back Frank Simek for another 1.2mil who went straight into the first team.

League

We started well and found ourselves in the Play-Off spots. We even reached the heavy heights of 2nd. We hardly ever left the play-offs however at one point we did drop down to 8th.

The season ended with us sitting 5th which set up a Play-Off semi final with Sheff Utd. We had a mediocre two games against them previously in the league. We had only 2 recognisable strikers through injuries. The first leg was poor, we lost 1-0 as Shittu was sent off in the first half. Away from home we managed a 1-1 draw but obviously that wasn't enough. Hull beat Newcastle and then went on to beat Sheff Utd in the final.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer: Traore, 18

Most Assists: Jouffre, 11

Most MOM: Traore, 7

Ave Rating: Traore, 7.11

Finances - were as high as 9mil before transfers and constant loss from wages sent the finances crashing. We gained 1.6m back from our final league position.

Aims for Next Season

• Decent league position
  • Removed Deadwood
  • Improve finances

Season |Team          |League          |Finished |FA Cup      |Europe          |Achievements
08/09  |Gateshead     |BSP             |4th      |2nd Rnd     |-               |FA Trophy Winners
09/10  |Gateshead     |BSP             |1st      |3rd Rnd     |-               |Champions/Promoted
10/11  |Gateshead     |League Two      |-        |-           |-               |Left in December 2010
10/11  |Swansea       |League One      |5th      |3rd Round   |-               |Promoted via Playoffs
11/12  |Swansea       |Championship    |5th      |3rd Round   |-               |Play-Off Finish

Thought i'd give you a brief Summer transfer update for the new season. Lots has gone on, both out and more importantly in.

I released a load of players including, Stockdale, Pelonde, Balogh, Smith, Kuffour, Williams, Sissons and Stephens. Ridley left to join Peterborough on loan for the season. Shittu left for 60k to Preston, Varney to Wolves for 1.3m, Bayon to Ejido for 60k. Big transfer news was Bodde, who did not want to sign a new contract left for 2.2m to Wolves. Queudrue was asking for first team football so sold him to Newcastle for 14k. Ageing Healy left for Reading for 28k.

I signed the following;

Guti - £0 - 35 years old but good back up on small wages.

Nicky Hunt - £0 - 27 years old and has that premiership experience with Bolton.

Aaron Lennon - £0 - The ex-Spurs winging was only wanting a quarter of the wages he earnt with the top flight club.

Greg Halford - £0 - provides decent cover for both right back and right midfield.

Souprayen - £0 - Amiens DLC will be first choice LB.

Vicent Acapandie - £0 - Auxerre forward will provide back up to the strikers and chip in with his share of goals.

Titus Bramble - £0 - Big Strong centre half will be first choice along side Serran.

Aaron McLean - £0 - More back up for the strikers, i had a crisis last year only having 1 fit striker for a month i have 4 back ups now.

Charlie Adam - £0 - Signed from Sheffield Utd he will be first choice LM.

Hugo Viana - £0 - a favourite of mine from his time at Newcastle, Viana will slot in alongside a more defensive CM.

Kosicky - £0 - Slovakian GK signed as back up to Bernabe.

Abdoulaye Tine - £0 - Young Senegal DM signed from Pescara, has bags of potential but no work permit, loaned to my Polish feeder club.

Bendtner - £0 - Big signing of the summer, on 14k a week wages but will be worth it. Now at 24 years of age he has the experience to take us to the top.

Nordveit - 450k Ln Fee - Signed to bolster the CD/CM positions more, have the option to buy for 1.8mil anytime during the season.

Looking to bring in a LB and a LM as more cover for those positions.

Giving this a rest at the moment. Finding it hard to motivate myself to play this afternoon/evening. Have the week off work so may get back into the swing of things again Weds/Thurs time.

Also really want to start a game with one side and post in the Youth Player Project thread.

Archived