dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,022 posts in this topic

Don't underestimate Dirk's lethal 2-yard finishing!

Suarez is strange because he scored insane number of goals in Holland but he seems to have lost his finishing. I know in Holland it's a lot easier to score but still, he was hugely impressive as a poacher there.

Suarez is strange because he scored insane number of goals in Holland but he seems to have lost his finishing. I know in Holland it's a lot easier to score but still, he was hugely impressive as a poacher there.

Maybe he got an extra half yard from defenders over there which allowed him more time to compose his finish. Afonso Alves looked great in Holland, so it can happen!

Suarez is a little better than Afonso Alvez though :D.

Well yes, that's obvious to anyone with eyes and a basic understanding of football! But then Alves was a poacher, so goals were all he offered (or didn't!), whilst Suarez has more to his game so he's still able to make an impact despite losing his edge in front of goal.

[b]Apps  | Goals[/b]
45    | 15

His league record for us.

It doesn't look all that bad in raw stats, but when you consider how many shots he will have taken in scoring those 15, he should have got a lot more.

For Ajax he got 81 in 110. That's over twice the average of goals per games compared to Liverpool.

Did you see some of his goals for Ajax? He was actually able to walk through the defence sometimes.

Suarez will come good this year. Rumour today about Danny Sturridge

Must admit I don't see as many highlights of the Eredivisie as I'd like, but I remember him being tipped as a great goal area striker then.

Are there stats available for shots per goal and shots on target per shot? Be interesting to see those for Suarez and some other strikers (say Van Persie, Rooney, Cisse, Bent, Carroll, Holt, Fletcher, Dempsey for a bit of a cross-section) to compare.

Suarez will come good this year.

And what do you base that on exactly?

And what do you base that on exactly?

Because Saturday he was just warming up his shooting boots.......I hope :p.

I base it on the fact the he is a quality player and has shown glimpses of quality in this league. I am certain that he will be a star this year.

To be honest I base it on logic similar to that of De Gea, I am certain he to will come good this year.

And all of last season too?

I blame tactics last season and the team as a whole.

I bet Wolves are licking their lips at a reported £24m combined for Fletcher & Jarvis.

So they should be for a relegated teams that's pretty brilliant business for them. Looks like we'll be paying £12 million for Fletcher, like already mentioned it's overpriced but I don't care that much because it shows the chairman is willing to back the manager and we desperately need a striker.

I base it on the fact the he is a quality player and has shown glimpses of quality in this league. I am certain that he will be a star this year.

Showing more quality, of which he has already shown alot, won't magically make him a better finisher, which is what the point was originally about.

Showing more quality, of which he has already shown alot, won't magically make him a better finisher, which is what the point was originally about.

On the same point he scored in Holland for fun, so you dont just become magically a poorer finisher

On the same point he scored in Holland for fun, so you dont just become magically a poorer finisher

He isnt a great finisher at all. Everything before that is fantastic, but infront of goal he isnt great. He SHOULD have had a couple against WBA. Holland is massively different in terms of levels of quality both in goal and defensively compared to England though.

As a Liverpool fan, I would love to be proven wrong however.

The fact that it clearly hasn't crossed your mind that playing in the Dutch League for Ajax he would have got more chances per game, speaks for its self.

Regardsless of where you play you still have to have the natural instinct to finish. Yes he got more chances but he also converted a lot of those. He has scored 28 in 54 for the national team which is a decent record. He has had one off season were his finishing has gone down hill, and to be fair the West Brom game was not his best showing. He will turn it around and begin to finish more.

Torres has had a woeful past couple of seasons does that make him a poor finisher. Luis is not the best finisher in the game but I maintain that he is a great finisher and I reckon it will be shown this year.

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is a case in point scored for fun in Holland and then not so much at Milan, went to Schalke and scored again for fun. Same for Bergkamp.

Both of these have left Holland and struggled for a season in a bigger league before coming back well. The same I see with Suarez, he is a great finisher

In contrast, i present to you Mateja Kezman and Afonso Alves.

Damn I knew thouse were going to come up. Regardsless I think its too early to say he is a bad finisher I think he is great and should be judged at the end of the year, if I am still wrong I will hold my hands up and admit it. Moving on from this point, how do we think our teams will get on this weekend. I am hoping for a point against City.

Tomtuck, your a united fan aren't you, who will you be wanting to win on Sunday City or Liverpool?

You can't have it both ways and say it's too early to call him a poor finisher yet then call him a great finisher. It's either too early to be labelling him or it's not.

As for Sundays game, i really don't care. :D

No I think his time in Holland shows he was a great finisher, I think its too early in his English career for that to have changed.

As i have pointed out already, you are not factoring in other variables so your point is without substance.

Basically you are only persisting with this notion because he plays for the club you follow. Despite his distincly avearage record since moving to Liverpool you still can't see the blindingly obvious. Don't worry, you're not the only one - most Liverpool fans on the forum are like you.

As i have pointed out already, you are not factoring in other variables so your point is without substance.

Basically you are only persisting with this notion because he plays for the club you follow. Despite his distincly avearage record since moving to Liverpool you still can't see the blindingly obvious. Don't worry, you're not the only one - most Liverpool fans on the forum are like you.

The same could be said for you. Your not factoring in the fact that he has moved to a new club and new country and played in tactics last year that were not great for him. I could say your persisting with this because your a United fan. All I am saying is that he does not come a bad finisher over night. He must be given a chance to settle down like all strikers.

RVP for instance is a cracking signing for United, but I dont think he will get anywhere near as many goals as he did last year for Arsenal because he needs to settle in, but that does not make him a bad finisher.

The same could be said for you. Your not factoring in the fact that he has moved to a new club and new country and played in tactics last year that were not great for him. I could say your persisting with this because your a United fan. All I am saying is that he does not come a bad finisher over night. He must be given a chance to settle down like all strikers.

You can't argue that point about SRL88 though who despite being a Liverpool fan, also disagrees with you (even if he hopes to be wrong).

I think Suarez is a poor finisher what masks it is his ability to score brilliant goals from difficult positions. He is not an out and out goalscorer which is what Liverpool need amongst a few other things.

My point is that I dont think he is a poor finisher I think he is a great finisher as per his record in Holland. I just think because he has had a poor season and has started this one off badly people are writing him off as a poor finisher I just dont think he is. If he has another poor year then fine I will accept it but not yet.

Incidently I do agree we need a new striker like a 'fox in the box' type, especially if Rodgers wants rid of Carroll

Did you watch all his matches in Holland? I just wonder if he had loads of chances that he missed when played over there.

Did you watch all his matches in Holland? I just wonder if he had loads of chances that he missed when played over there.

I did not see all of his matches but have seen a few. I dont have stats to hand (I have just had a quick look for them) but I am confident to say that he scored a decent amount of the chances that he got. He still missed more than he scored but I dont know of striker that doesnt.

Should have said many not all, I do think you are slightly blinded by being a Liverpool fan.

Exactly my point. I wouldn't bother with it though, as ashton321 seems keen on ignoring logical arguments like that.

Of course I am slightly blinded. I still think that he is a great finisher, but I also think that Kenny is a King and that Robbie Fowler is a God.

I dont mind having a debate about either of these subjects.

Joking aside I am sure that I am being slightly biased but if I cant believe in my team and the players what can I do. I am sure United fans here think Rio is still a quality defender.

I am sure City fans might think that Tevez now loves the club. We are all blinded that is why football is so great.

Exactly my point. I wouldn't bother with it though, as ashton321 seems keen on ignoring logical arguments like that.

I am not sure how that is a logical argument. It was a question was it not.

Of course I am slightly blinded. I still think that he is a great finisher, but I also think that Kenny is a King and that Robbie Fowler is a God.

I dont mind having a debate about either of these subjects.

Joking aside I am sure that I am being slightly biased but if I cant believe in my team and the players what can I do. I am sure United fans here think Rio is still a quality defender.

I am sure City fans might think that Tevez now loves the club. We are all blinded that is why football is so great.

People can be slightly blinded that's football for you as you say but people can also be honest about their own side. I'm sure there are many Man United fans who think Ferdinand is past it. I support a team that contains Titus Bramble and I can admit he is awful.

We wont sign a poacher, we wont sell Andy Carroll. Clint Dempsey will most likely sign. Keep your fingers crossed on Sahin although that seems to be fading. Otherwise, get used to what we have!!!

We wont sign a poacher, we wont sell Andy Carroll. Clint Dempsey will most likely sign. Keep your fingers crossed on Sahin although that seems to be fading. Otherwise, get used to what we have!!!

I'm excited that we could possibly get Adam Johnson.

People can be slightly blinded that's football for you as you say but people can also be honest about their own side. I'm sure there are many Man United fans who think Ferdinand is past it. I support a team that contains Titus Bramble and I can admit he is awful.

Ipswich fans could admit that when he played for them but he still went on to play for 2 huge clubs :D.