dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,953 posts in this topic

Average? Its the same Fletcher who got 12 League goals last season, in a Wolves side who struggled to create chances....

I don't think it automatically follows that if you play in a better team you'll score more goals. I think he'd get around the same at Sunderland to be honest. Cameron Jerome got the same number for Birmingham (and is about the same ability IMO) but can't get a game for Stoke now.

I think Steven Fletcher is a better than Leon Best mind Snake. Best overachieved at Newcastle in my eyes where as Fletcher is a pretty solid player. £15m player, maybe not, but still a solid player.

Yeah he's a better all round player than Best, but I'm pretty sure Best would have made the double figures had he played the whole season up front for us. Yet you'd rightly laugh at paying anything more than what Blackburn did for him (£3m). Considering what other much better players have gone for over the last couple of seasons (Crouch, Cisse, even Gyan), £15m for Fletcher is a massive, horrible waste. Surely even bringing Mr. Pink Boots Bendtner back would be cheaper and far more preferable?

Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens if he does end up signing!

He scored 12 goals for a terrible Wolves team so surely 15-20 isn't too far away. I am not saying he will be as good as Bent but people said we overpaid for him when we bought him. As for the scouting I don't think any of that is O'Neill's strong point when looking back at his Villa transfers there are some real shockers in there. Where do you expect your lot to finish?

I totally agree with the bold part comparing them is extremely stupid.

Very true regarding the scouting - considering he doesn't seem to throw many curveballs in terms of transfers in from other leagues as well it's a very poor record.

As for us, I'd be delighted with anything from 8th up, and content with anything in the top half. We have a team who can beat most others on our day, but the squad depth is very thin, and with the Europa League on our plate again it'll be difficult. We're massively reliant on Cabaye and Tiote plus at least one of the Dembas staying fit, which worries me. Hopefully a solid league season with a good cup run or two and plenty of game-time for the likes of Sammeobi, Abeid, Vuckic, Tavernier and Bigirimana.

Anyway forget Fletcher and Van Persie, I've just read that Zdenek Zeman is back managing Roma! Fantastic news, one of my favourite managers, a great character and a real bastion of sporting integrity :thup:

I say we push our luck and offer £15m for Dzeko and see if we can get him

Wages would be too much wouldn't they? Dzeko is quality, Man City have managed him very poorly.

Don't think he is on anywhere near what their main players are on. Do you think it'd be under £100k a week?

Don't think he is on anywhere near what their main players are on. Do you think it'd be under £100k a week?

Id like to think so, and Dzeko seemed in germany like the kind of player who would prefer to play than sit on the bench.

Rhodes is still in the Crewe CB's back pocket from the friendly the other week, he was awful in that game.

RVP is 29 as well. Arsenal are getting themselves a canny deal here.

RVP is 29 as well. Arsenal are getting themselves a canny deal here.

Very good indeed! Do you think they'll sign another forward or will they be happy enough with Giroud? I can see them going for another, don't know who though.

I think Dzeko will be on £150k per week at least. He was a £30m signing don't forget.

Edit: Found a story saying £75k a week after tax would be a pay cut for him (in relation to a story linking him to Juve), so he's on more than £125k a week.

I don't know about that. It's a lot of money, but if they miss out on the Champions League as a result it could cost them a lot more.

Ultimately though, I think it'll be good business for both sides. United have got a player who might get them 1st place in the league and further in the CL, and can afford to write off the money a la Berbatov if it doesn't pan out, and Arsenal have got some cash for a player who would be leaving for nothing next year and probably would have little interest in playing this year.

Still can't believe it actually happened though, thought it would endlessly drag on like the Modric and Sneijder stories and amount to sod all.

I think they will go for someone but not sure who. It might be more a last minute thing like the Arteta, Santos etc deal last season. Time will tell though.

With the amount of strikers at Old Trafford now I think Spurs should put a cheeky loan bid in for Javier Hernandez.

I was the same jim, thought it'd go on and on and he'd eventually end up leaving for nothing next year.

I think Hernandez could well be not as good as everyone thought. His first season in England was brilliant, everything he touched went in. Looks more like it was just a hot streak now.

How do you think Van Persie and Rooney will be used together? Can't see Ferguson going flat 4-4-2 against big teams - he learned from his mistake in the Champions League final against Barcelona. Perhaps Rooney dropping back to the number 10 role? Or wide? Van Persie can play wide as well. I don't think he enjoys it though.

I thought it would have taken longer than it has but much to my surprise, here we are. I thought Hernandez was fantastic first season and asked mid-way through last season to a few United fans why Welbeck played more than him and the response I got was that apart from his finishing, Hernandez wasnt that good of a player pretty much. I personally see Fergie playing RVP up top with Rooney in the hole behind him and in the so called easier games they might go with RVP & Welbeck up top with Rooney in behind.

Could go back to a similar system as they did with Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez all able to play across the front 3. Be interesting to see how Rooney reacts to not being top dog any more.

How does Kagawa fit into the picture now? And Nani/Young/Valencia? Could cause a few problems.

He has welcomed the deal apparently. Said a few days ago that he hopes it goes through.

I wonder what shirt number RVP will be given? Number 9 if Berba leaves maybe!!

Of course he'll say that. We'll see what he really thinks when he's in a lean spell, Van Persie's banging them in, and he gets shifted wide.

Surely United can't drop Valencia after his performances last year?

Rooney could be the answer to United's search for a replacement for Scholes now that they have RVP?

The more I think about it, the more problems it creates! Kagawa is not a midfielder, he's a 10 or an inside right/left. Valencia is really bad anywhere except right wing so he won't fit into a fluid front 3. Likewise Hernandez will have no chance of getting into the team in that system. And still the midfield creaks on Scholes' ancient knees.

Interesting idea dropping Rooney deeper permanently. Whether he'd be happy with that I don't know.

Excellent performance by England this evening by the way. Kept the ball very well, had some great movement between the lines, and even played some snappy one-touch stuff!

Yup, cracking win. Now bring on FIFA's flawed rankings with us rising again :thup:.

Rooney---Carrick

Nani----------------Young

RVP--Welbeck

Fluid front four, bags of creativity and goalscoring ability with Kagawa, Valencia and Hernandez on the bench.

I cant see Nani starting over Valencia to be honest.

Nani has the versatility Valencia lacks, but he's not as good consistently. I don't think they've signed Kagawa to sit on the bench. If they have it's a tragic waste, he's excellent.

Oh well, Fergie's headache, not mine :D.

I cant see Nani starting over Valencia to be honest.

Maybe so but as SnakeXe says, Nani is much more versatile.

Oh well, Fergie's headache, not mine :D.

Very true. More importantly, Brendan Rodgers will have a headache should we sign Sahin!

I am sure I could live with any headache is Sahin signs :cool:.

Well Saha just posted on his Twitter account saying hes on his way to Sunderland to discuss terms

Yeah, Sky Sports News mentioned it earlier. Good free transfer.

It will be if his wages aren't massive and they can get him to get a decent scoring record going. Talking of transfers and free agents. I can see alot of players who were released in the summer struggling to find clubs. The market at the moment is saturated. So hopefully, with that being the case, wages will start to decrease for the lower league clubs when players start to find that clubs are looking at 5 more players than they usually would as they have the choice.

Saha signs for 1 year which does me because if hes injured all the time we dont have to keep him but if he proves a hit im sure we can triggre a second year, even if hes on the £40k a week some people are saying he will only cost what about £2m for the year which is not much for someone who should score goals

I'm happy with the Saha transfer but we still need another striker as well as a winger and a LB.

My prediction: he'll look great for 3 games then get injured.

My prediction: he'll look great for 3 games then get injured.

In the past 4 seasons hes played more games than RVP......

Cleon mentioned something in another thread, over the past 3 seasons Saha has played 83 EPL games which is 4 more than RVP. I always find it amusing how people can make statistics fit whatever they want.

So one injury prone player is even more of a crock than another? Blow me down with a feather! You'll be telling me how many more games he's played than Owen Hargreaves next.

Anyone with any sense knows they are not comparable to Hargreaves, I just found it a strange fact that's all especially because Man United got rid of Saha due to injuries and have now signed RVP.

I apologise for the double post just wondering if anyone watches breaking bad, true blood or dexter?

I know, I was being facetious :p

I think it is a bit of a gamble for Man Utd, he is incredibly injury prone - I think last season was the only full injury-free season he's managed in his entire career. If their finances are as limited as is speculated then it's a huge gamble because they're relying on him to make up the shortfall in quality in the rest of their team (central midfield and left-back).

I know, I was being facetious :p

I think it is a bit of a gamble for Man Utd, he is incredibly injury prone - I think last season was the only full injury-free season he's managed in his entire career. If their finances are as limited as is speculated then it's a huge gamble because they're relying on him to make up the shortfall in quality in the rest of their team (central midfield and left-back).

I heard Modric could go to Real Madrid for £23.8 million not sure how accurate that is but if that is his price tag surely Man United should go for him.

Bit of a knock down price when Spurs were said to be holding out for £35m.

I think the price tag for Man Utd would be different to the price tag for Real Madrid.

Still, I'd be surprised if they let him go for that little given Levy's reputation as a hard-nosed negotiator.

Reported £3m fee agreed between us & Heerenveen for Oussama Assaidi :brock:.

How do you think Van Persie and Rooney will be used together? Can't see Ferguson going flat 4-4-2 against big teams - he learned from his mistake in the Champions League final against Barcelona. Perhaps Rooney dropping back to the number 10 role? Or wide? Van Persie can play wide as well. I don't think he enjoys it though.

Ferguson has never played 4-4-2.

Not exactly going to be the starting 11, but something like this do you think Tom? (formation wise):

De Gea

Smalling - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra

Carrick - Cleverley

Valencia - Rooney - Young

Van Persie

He has, no matter what he might say. If you're pedantic enough to restrict the definition of 4-4-2 to mean 4 defenders in a line, 4 midfielders in a line, and 2 strikers in a line, not one single team has ever, ever played 4-4-2.

Not exactly going to be the starting 11, but something like this do you think Tom? (formation wise):

De Gea

Smalling - Vidic - Ferdinand - Evra

Carrick - Cleverley

Valencia - Rooney - Young

Van Persie

Kagawa? Nani?

He has, no matter what he might say. If you're pedantic enough to restrict the definition of 4-4-2 to mean 4 defenders in a line, 4 midfielders in a line, and 2 strikers in a line, not one single team has ever, ever played 4-4-2.

It's not me been pedantic. It's from the horses mouth.

I wasn't saying you were being pedantic, I was saying he was being pedantic. One of his strong suits :p

Kagawa? Nani?

As I said, not the starting 11 :D. Where do you think Kagawa will play? Then there is also the headache of fitting Welbeck in.