dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,934 posts in this topic

I am in the HOF twice from my time at Hoffenheim and my current save.

Tbh I think Allen is more gifted than Henderson. Henderson looked decent at Sunderland but Allen was brilliant for the Swans. We'll see though.

No denying that, but they are different type of players.

Twitter is very random now Paulie Malignaggi(the boxer) is arguing with Leon Knight, strange very strange.

I'm massively unconvinced by Henderson. I don't think he's any better than Danny Guthrie. To me he's one of those players where the hype has far exceeded his actual ability. I remember the 5-1 at St. James' Park the season before last and he was absolutely anonymous - and we still had Kevin Nolan in midfield in those days, it's like playing with a midfield poacher, doesn't do anything except score.

Still, if the Mackems think Steven Fletcher is worth £14m I suppose £20m was about right!

I think Allen for £15m is a better deal than Henderson, but still not a good deal. If funds are as limited as Brendan Rodgers is saying, then it's incredibly shortsighted to pay that sort of money just because they're British. Not to mention the fact that prices are so unrealistically high simply because people (Liverpool, mainly, it has to be said!) will pay it.

Twitter is very random now Paulie Malignaggi(the boxer) is arguing with Leon Knight, strange very strange.

Leon Knight is a prolific wind-up merchant on Twitter, he probably said something to him. He was having a massive pop at Jamie O'Hara a couple of weeks back, basically laughing about what a bike his wife (Danielle Lloyd) was back in the day.

Not sure why Leon Knight feels qualified to laugh at anyone, having been released from Glentoran.

I'm massively unconvinced by Henderson. I don't think he's any better than Danny Guthrie. To me he's one of those players where the hype has far exceeded his actual ability. I remember the 5-1 at St. James' Park the season before last and he was absolutely anonymous - and we still had Kevin Nolan in midfield in those days, it's like playing with a midfield poacher, doesn't do anything except score.

Still, if the Mackems think Steven Fletcher is worth £14m I suppose £20m was about right!

I think Allen for £15m is a better deal than Henderson, but still not a good deal. If funds are as limited as Brendan Rodgers is saying, then it's incredibly shortsighted to pay that sort of money just because they're British. Not to mention the fact that prices are so unrealistically high simply because people (Liverpool, mainly, it has to be said!) will pay it.

I cant say that Henderson had a brilliant debut season for us because that would be wide of the mark, but I think some of the criticism that was thrown his way was unwarrented. Quite often he was stuck out on the right hand side when he is cleary a central midfielder. I would say that towards the end of the season when he was playing more central he performed much better, and I think he will be even better this season with Lucas returning, Allen there & Gerrard hopefully staying fit. Lets face it, Dalglish's tactics werent the greatest and having to play alongside Adam & Spearing doesnt exactly set you off for success now does it?!?!

If Wolves have rejected £13m for Fletcher as quoted then Sunderland will be bonkers to go any higher. £13m is mad money for him in the first place but any higher would result in insanity.

I dont think funds are lacking. If he wanted someone I am sure the owners would back him, but he is just being sensible. You have to think that we have shifted the massive wages of Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy & Aquilani on this summer and the former three are all in the twilight years of their career. I fully expect us to sign a few more players before the end of the window on sensible wages.

Sahin on loan, talks of Tello & also a swap deal between Adam & Dempsey would leave me happy.

Fletcher is a £7m player at best, I think going as high as they are already just shows a complete lack of imagination. Surely you just move on to your next target if you're being quoted a stupid price?

Speaking of Aquilani, why hasn't he ever been given a chance at Liverpool? Seems like he was written off completely by the club based on very little. I'd have thought he'd fit right in with Rodgers' philosophy.

Speaking of Aquilani, why hasn't he ever been given a chance at Liverpool? Seems like he was written off completely by the club based on very little. I'd have thought he'd fit right in with Rodgers' philosophy.

When Benitez signed him he was obviously injured and unfit, therefore found it hard to settle into life at Anfield. The following season he was sent out on loan because he wasnt settled and Hodgson wanted him to play regular football for match fitness. Had a cracking season at Juve and then came back to us, played through pre-season but Aquilani stated that he wanted to go back to Italy which is why he went to Milan. He came back this season and I cant put a clear reason as to why he was sold, but I believe it is because he is sitting on a pretty hefty wage (£80k or so) and that was just to much for a plyer who wouldnt be playing all the time so Rodgers decided to cash in on him whilst he still had a value and get him off the wage bill.

Around the time I think I remember reading the majority of his fee was tied up in performance related bonuses, so perhaps the board decided to get rid rather than pay any of those. I just don't see the logic in moving on both Meireles and Aquilani for Henderson and Allen at a massive loss in terms of transfer fee. Are you happier as a fan with the two latter players and a circa £25m net spend over retaining the former two? I know I'd be more concerned at facing Lucas/Aquilani/Meireles than Lucas/Henderson/Allen.

Meireles only left because he handed a transfer request in on the last few days of the transfer window or else he would have stayed. I would have liked to have seen Aquilani given a chance again, but I would rather us sell him than continue to loan him to sides who just want a short term fix than a lend of our players to have no interest in signing them at the end of the loan deal.

Lucas is a machine. Anyone should be worried about facing him :brock:. Him getting injured is one of the main reasons that our season went tits up last year. I just want rid of Charlie Adam, desperately.

Didn't Meireles hand in a transfer request because he was refused the 100% wage increase after one year promised when he was signed? Could be complete rubbish, but then he was signed under Hicks and Gillett!

I think Lucas may be one of those cases where a player's stature increases unrealistically in absentia. He's solid, and better at breaking up the play than anyone else you have, but I'd be worried - especially after a long injury layoff - that he might not be the answer to all your woes. Especially as even with all of the central midfield signings you've made (including Sahin, if he signs), not one of them is capable of deputising for Lucas.

Adam made sense under the gameplan Dalglish seemed to be going for - i.e. lots of quality balls into the box for Andy Carroll to attack and Luis Suarez to feed off - but doesn't make any sense under Rodgers. Unfortunately you'll be lucky to get half what you paid back for him.

Fletcher isn't just a £7m player at best. He moved for that roughly last summer. So, Wolves have every right to try and get as much as they want. Wolves will end up making a lot of money imo from selling players who are in theory, too good for the Championship/not willing to the stay. Matt Jarvis being another example.

I can see Rodgers giving Adam a chance. He's used to spraying balls around ala Scholes. Likewise for Spearing. Most/if not all teams need players who can do this and not just pass the ball forward/sideways/back a little. If Adam and Spearing don't play much. I can see Adam going to United as a replacement, all be it not as good for Scholes. For about £3m or something. Spearing would probably go to someone like Fulham maybe, as a replacement for Murphy if Liverpool still want Dempsey.

I can see Rodgers giving Adam a chance. He's used to spraying balls around ala Scholes.

I'm sorry, but that is just wrong in any and every sense. Even mentioning them together like this is just all sorts of abnormal.

If the Meireles thing was agreed under Hicks & Gillett it was bollocks. The most untrustworthy men that have ever existed in my eyes!!!

Lucas is just unreal. There is no denying that. He struggled at first because he came from Brazil as an AM and Benitez wanted him to be a DM, but he has turned into one of the best around at what he does.

When under Dalglish did we play balls into the box? I think I missed that one. We havent played to the strengths of Carroll since the second he has joined. It will be worse now under Rodgers, which is by no means a dig at him because he has his philosophies.

No it's not. It's one of the reasons why Fergie was supposedly interested in Adam before he went to Liverpool. Adam sprayed the ball around for Blackpool. As does Scholes for United. Although Scholes is better at and has more to his game. Probably should have said that as well.

Fletcher isn't just a £7m player at best.

I can see Rodgers giving Adam a chance. He's used to spraying balls around ala Scholes. Likewise for Spearing.

Fletcher moved to Wolves 2 seasons ago and jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus NF!!!! Comparing either Adam or Spearing to Scholes means that you should hang your head in shame.

Was it really 2 seasons ago? Damn, time flies. I shouldn't though. They're not as good as Scholes but they are in the same category imo.

Spearing is a pile of *****. He doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Scholes :lol:.

I've always thought Liverpool fans rated Spearing? Obviously not then.

We appreciate the fact that he is a scouser who gives his all for the club, but he isnt talented enough to command a position for a side who want to be back in the Champions League.

Well, if Rodgers wants to get on the phone to O'Driscoll and doesn't want a massive fee for him. I'd happily take him at Forest.

Wolves can sell flethcer to us for any price they can get.

- Fletcher is one of only a dozen players to have scored 30 Premier League goals in the past three seasons and one of only three to have done so at a club that has not played in the UEFA Champions League during that period

- If Jay Rodriguez is a £7m striker Fletcher is easily a £14m player....

I think they know we desperatly need a striker so know we cant walk away, but with the imminent signing of Saha i expect that to help us in this deal.

Didnt know the Saha deal was happening acidmonkey?

Maybe if we get to the Prem then haha. I have to admit. I have been pleased with the signings we've made so far. 7 in total and there could be a few more as well. Although we weren't very good against WBA on Friday night. Although Bader Al-Mutawa played well when he came on as a sub.

I think the price of Fletcher is so high because people know how desperate we need a good striker. We are overpaying for him that's obvious I would be happy at £10 million maybe even £12 million but I think it's a good sign that the chairman is willing to back the signing if it happens. I think Fletcher would score 15-20 goals for us and if he did then he would be worth the money.

Saha is a decent signing for us because we need more than one striker, I don't think Frazier Campbell is good enough, Wickham is nowhere near ready and I'm not sure he ever will be and Ji doesn't get much playing time for some reason.

Kevin Mirallas to Everton in a £6m deal and you are paying £14m plus for Fletcher. Missed out there I reckon.

I think Campbell will leave by next summer, Wickham shows signs of promise, and Ji just needs a run in the team he showed at the olympics he cant be a good/quality striker, im just wondering if we signed him to increase our Fledgling brand abroad..... if Saha signs AND fletcher ill be with out attacking line with Larsson and McLean whipping balls in for Fletcher i can see him getting 20 easy (that may come and bite me in the ass...)

Kevin Mirallas to Everton in a £6m deal and you are paying £14m plus for Fletcher. Missed out there I reckon.

I don't mind us overpaying because we got Sessegnon for a very good price, the way I justify it is £20 million for a Sess and Fletcher strike partnership isn't bad and when you consider Larsson was free and McClean cost pennies that's not bad for a front four.

I don't think Wickham showed anything, to be honest I think he has been a complete waste of money.

While hes a good player we are crying out for a Proven premiership striker we dont have the depth upfront if we sign an unproven striker and he cant cope with the league

I'm shocked at how highly you guys rate Fletcher to be honest. He's bang average IMHO, only slightly better than Leon Best. If he scores 15-20 goals for the Mackems then he'll be worth the £14-15m it looks like they'll have to pay for him, but I just don't see that happening. Surely the scouting network must have other targets for a more reasonable fee?

As for the Adam/Scholes comparison - I'm with SRL88 on this, it's comparing aardvarks with lemons. Ferguson said in passing 2 years ago he's worth £15m for his set-pieces alone, but it'll be a cold day in hell when he signs for Man Utd. He's like Hugo Viana, great vision and technique but about 5 yards too slow to make use of it.

I'm shocked at how highly you guys rate Fletcher to be honest. He's bang average IMHO, only slightly better than Leon Best. If he scores 15-20 goals for the Mackems then he'll be worth the £14-15m it looks like they'll have to pay for him, but I just don't see that happening. Surely the scouting network must have other targets for a more reasonable fee?

As for the Adam/Scholes comparison - I'm with SRL88 on this, it's comparing aardvarks with lemons. Ferguson said in passing 2 years ago he's worth £15m for his set-pieces alone, but it'll be a cold day in hell when he signs for Man Utd. He's like Hugo Viana, great vision and technique but about 5 yards too slow to make use of it.

He scored 12 goals for a terrible Wolves team so surely 15-20 isn't too far away. I am not saying he will be as good as Bent but people said we overpaid for him when we bought him. As for the scouting I don't think any of that is O'Neill's strong point when looking back at his Villa transfers there are some real shockers in there. Where do you expect your lot to finish?

I totally agree with the bold part comparing them is extremely stupid.

Average? Its the same Fletcher who got 12 League goals last season, in a Wolves side who struggled to create chances....

I think Steven Fletcher is a better than Leon Best mind Snake. Best overachieved at Newcastle in my eyes where as Fletcher is a pretty solid player. £15m player, maybe not, but still a solid player.

I think Steven Fletcher is a better than Leon Best mind Snake. Best overachieved at Newcastle in my eyes where as Fletcher is a pretty solid player. £15m player, maybe not, but still a solid player.

Agreed hes never a £15m player but hes the price that we are prepared to play, and wolves are willing to let him go for, last season we didnt have anyone hit double figures i think our highest scorer got 8 so we need a double figure striker..

If Liverpool get Sahin I'd take Adam at Sunderland.

If Liverpool get Sahin I'd take Adam at Sunderland.

Apparently the Sahin deal is close to being finalised. Its on loan for a season, but its supposed to be close!!! I will drive down to Liverpool, pick Adam up and drop him off at the SOL if you sign him :thup:.

Apparently the Sahin deal is close to being finalised. Its on loan for a season, but its supposed to be close!!! I will drive down to Liverpool, pick Adam up and drop him off at the SOL if you sign him :thup:.

Can you take Gardner with you and just drop him off anywhere?

I see no one is bothered about Forest :(:D.

Haha, no one is interested in the awesomeness of Crewe Alex either.

Can you take Gardner with you and just drop him off anywhere?

We need him to cover for right back and if he gets his head in the right place will score plenty from midfield

I see no one is bothered about Forest :(:D.

Forest?.......

We need him to cover for right back and if he gets his head in the right place will score plenty from midfield

All he offers is a long shot, he takes 14 minutes to turn around and last season I lost count of the amount of times he kept hold of the ball slowed down and got tackled because he has the reaction time of a corpse.

We care about the influx of youngsters they have and sell on ;).

Looks like Van Persie will be a Man United player soon according to lots of tweets, I was hoping he'd come to Crewe as a replacement for Nick Powell, oh well.

Sky Sports News have it as their broken news. Tom Lewis is gutted :p.

Sky Sports News have it as their broken news. Tom Lewis is gutted :p.

I think he is too injury prone for the huge wage he will be on.

£20m for a player with a year on his contract and then £120k+ per week wage.

Surely his wage will be close to Rooney's?

Which is why I used the plus symbol :D.

Oh yeah so you did, need to clean my glasses.