dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,016 posts in this topic

Does lower league football in England bore you also? Is it just Premier League?

For lower league football, I love England, especially with the FA Cup and FA Trophy. One thing that frustrates me from time to time in other league systems is the lack of cups, especially for lower league teams to compete in!

Every level of English football bores me in FM. I know all the teams and it seems less real to me to get Salisbury City to the Prem, than it did to get Santarcangelo to Serie A. Weird, I know. Plus I don't want to skip 10+ years to get rid of most of the real-life players.

Every level of English football bores me in FM. I know all the teams and it seems less real to me to get Salisbury City to the Prem, than it did to get Santarcangelo to Serie A.

I guess I know what you mean. Less familiarity means your mind is more open to a magical footballing story!

Weird, I know. Plus I don't want to skip 10+ years to get rid of most of the real-life players.

Every thought of starting with fictional players? I might do that some time!

I guess I know what you mean. Less familiarity means your mind is more open to a magical footballing story!

Every thought of starting with fictional players? I might do that some time!

It's not fictional, they're just different names. They still have the same stats!

Deisler don't they have some different clubs too?

I don't know for sure who the likes of deltablue, B.W.G, Matoko, Snake, tomtuck support but you can add on as well.

I'm a Manchester United supporter. I go to just about every game, with the exception of some Champions League away games.

I feel sick with all the success I'm having with City in my save. :(

It'll frustrate Rancer but I always find the MLS off putting but that's mainly down to my ignorance of the rules and understanding of how the game works. I keep threatening myself with managing there one day and, who knows, I might love it! MLS is loaded in my calcio save, so maybe when I'm tired of winning everything there is to win in Italy (yeah, right!) and looking for a new challenge, I could head out there. Toronto FC sounds like a good club, maybe? :p

From the standpoint of someone who used to only watch North American sports, I would have said buying players with money would be the most ridiculous thing ever. No playoffs to determine a league champion? WTF are you smoking?? But through FM I eventually got used to it. :D

As I keep telling to people, MLS isn't that different than other leagues around the world. It's just a different set of roster rules and transfers. Playoffs aren't best of five or best of seven. It's still a 2 legged aggregate scoreline and whoever scores the most goals win. The pitch is still the same size, the ball is still a sphere, and no a goal does not give you 6 points with the opportunity for an extra point! It's still the same game, and you still have to win.

Maybe perhaps because I've managed in so many different places with different teams, I've gotten used to adapting to different rules and regulations. TFC are always in a mess IRL but in FM the default squad can even make the playoffs.

Which Asian leagues would you say are your absolute favourites and why? I'm curious!

China - I'm Chinese. I have no preference for favourite clubs, although I always liked the Guangdong province clubs (Guangdong Rizhiquan, Guangzhou Evergrande). Also managed Shanghai Shenhua and Beijing Guo'an.

Hong Kong - Parents from there. I like anyone but South China.

South Korea - The league isn't special but I just know a bunch of Koreans so I just like the K-League. Seongnam, FC Seoul are my favoured ones there.

Indonesia - Lower leagues are fun, since everyone's crap and no money. Usually if you get into the ACL, you usually up against a Chinese club, Korean club, and Japanese club. So it's a great challenge!

Malaysia - Only played there for one season but you're allowed a max of 0 foreigners so you can only sign Malaysians which is quite fun dealing with that :D. Unfortunately I think after a few seasons in the foreigner restriction is relaxed to AFC standards (5 foreigners maximum registered on the squad).

I haven't managed in India, Australia, or Singapore. Mainly because I've been more interested in the Southeast Asia region (so that rules out India and Australia). Also, I'm never going to consider Australia a true 'Asian' nation, because well, they're based in Oceania! Singapore doesn't interest me because there's only one league with the best team consisting of French players (Etoile), and they have satellite teams from other AFC nations (from Chinese club Dalian Shide and a Japanese club). The best team in that country is usually Woodlands.

I'm a Manchester United supporter. I go to just about every game, with the exception of some Champions League away games.

I feel sick with all the success I'm having with City in my save. :(

I'm shocked you can manage your city rivals and have to deal with beating up your favourite club every year. :D

Oh, and all this Asian football talk makes me want to start an Asian save........... :o

I'm shocked you can manage your city rivals and have to deal with beating up your favourite club every year. :D

Don't worry, once I get the Champions League won with then I'll be on my way. Well, after becoming Club World Champions aswell. :cool:

Another quick question: what is the best add-on for step 3 and 4 of the Non-League pyramid these days? Is Uncle Ron's still the most accurate and reliable?

Anyone have any experiences playing with it? Please bear in mind that I am a little over-the-top when it comes to everything being perfect, so even a slight inaccuracy might well upset me!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback as I've been thinking of trying it out at some point on FM12.

I've not played any others apart from Uncle Ron's but certainly on FM10 and FM11 they were realistic and stable.

It's not fictional, they're just different names. They still have the same stats!

Are all of the club legends changed to made up names too then?

To be honest, I forgot how it works, but I'm sure you are right. I remember trying it a few versions back and being able to tell who players were supposed to be. They might have a different nationality or something but the stats would be the same. :D

If it made a proper fictional database - like a whole game of newgens - from the start, that would be pretty good to freshen things up.

I've not played any others apart from Uncle Ron's but certainly on FM10 and FM11 they were realistic and stable.

Yeah, I'm sure Uncle Ron's will be stable and realistic etc. He knows his stuff for sure.

I haven't checked out the FM12 one yet but I know the FM10 one was spot on when I checked it out briefly.

I would say Brazil - the season is just far, far too long

I feel the same way about the English leagues.

46 games plus cups? Madness.

I feel the same way about the English leagues.

46 games plus cups? Madness.

In Belgium, the Championship Group in the top tier makes me feel that I have to win 2 leagues in 1 season to officially become champions....

slight change of subject.... when i change the view of a screen how do i save that so when i visit the screen again it keeps the view?

You mean when you create the custom ones with different columns?

It seems really arbitrary to me. My players screen always sticks, but the training screen never sticks. Thankfully it's pretty quick to go back to them through the Custom menu.

Is it better to link pictures or embed them ?

Linking saves bandwidth both for your photo hosting account, and for people viewing the page.

also links load quicker and dont increase the page length :)

So annoying, want to start a long term career game but cannot decide where to start. Was thinking of trying Uncle Ron's file and starting in England for once but also wondering about somewhere like the Solomon Islands or Papua New Guinea and working around the world from there. I know I want to start at or near the bottom either in terms of leagues in a country (with more than 2 levels) or in terms of international reputation of the league. Anyone have some suggestions on picking a starting point?

Who are people rooting for tonight? I'm cheering for France.

France have given me many excellent bottles of wine and brandy, Marcel Proust to read, and Zinedine Zidane to admire on the football pitch. :cool:

It's settled. I'm a Frenchman for the night! :D

WTF?? (NOTE: This is for Rancer) Burke actually pulls his head out of his ass and lands JVR? Holy ****!

WTF?? (NOTE: This is for Rancer) Burke actually pulls his head out of his ass and lands JVR? Holy ****!

It's been rumoured since the trade deadline. It's a steal if JVR is healthy. He's not a centre but he'll help out in the top 6.

Schenn was eaten alive by the media here, so it was probably best for him to leave. Wilson ruined him as well. Philly gets more depth at D for the loss of Pronger.

PHilly needs defense after Pronger's head issues. Either that, or it's the day of brothers playing with on another (Stalls and now Shenns)

PHilly needs defense after Pronger's head issues. Either that, or it's the day of brothers playing with on another (Stalls and now Shenns)

I read Sheens... :D

It's been rumoured since the trade deadline. It's a steal if JVR is healthy. He's not a centre but he'll help out in the top 6.

Schenn was eaten alive by the media here, so it was probably best for him to leave. Wilson ruined him as well. Philly gets more depth at D for the loss of Pronger.

He had to go. I'm stunned Kadri hasn't followed him. He's been the biggest waste of talent since I don't know when.

Philly just needs D. Pittsburgh are looking to be the Miami Heat of the NHL.

After reading a few Careers on here, its inspired me to start my own however I've a couple of questions?

- Do all the better careers start with starting at the bottom? The reason I ask is that I never enjoy managing at the low levels?

- Any overly interesting nations to manage in bar the big European leagues?

Thanks for any help

After reading a few Careers on here, its inspired me to start my own however I've a couple of questions?

- Do all the better careers start with starting at the bottom? The reason I ask is that I never enjoy managing at the low levels?

The game gets more addicting as you get better players and play at a higher level, but it feels more like a proper career, proper achievements if you start as low as you can. In my current career I only spent one season below a top tier and it felt too rushed, I regret not having proved myself lower than 1 year in the relatively too competitive to start with, Swiss second division.

- Any overly interesting nations to manage in bar the big European leagues?

Thanks for any help

I think that's personal preference really, any league is an interesting challenge in their own way.

Noikeee explained that very well.

I have never got as far into an FM save as I have on my career save, and I put that down to the fact that I started unemployed and decided to see where things would take me. I was a little apprehensive at first because I thought I wouldnt get into the save, but that soon changed. I have found it to be very enjoyable having a 'proper' career you could say rather than sticking with one club.

I like to stick a few obscure leagues on as well as you will most likely start there and then move onto the bigger European leagues.

The game gets more addicting as you get better players and play at a higher level, but it feels more like a proper career, proper achievements if you start as low as you can. In my current career I only spent one season below a top tier and it felt too rushed, I regret not having proved myself lower than 1 year in the relatively too competitive to start with, Swiss second division.

I think that's personal preference really, any league is an interesting challenge in their own way.

Noikeee explained that very well.

I have never got as far into an FM save as I have on my career save, and I put that down to the fact that I started unemployed and decided to see where things would take me. I was a little apprehensive at first because I thought I wouldnt get into the save, but that soon changed. I have found it to be very enjoyable having a 'proper' career you could say rather than sticking with one club.

I like to stick a few obscure leagues on as well as you will most likely start there and then move onto the bigger European leagues.

Completely back up the reply from SRL. :thup:

Appreciate the replies, thanks :thup:

SRL88 and tomtuck01, yours were actually two of the careers that influenced me and having read noikeee's career, it only further influenced me. Think I'll get a save loaded up once I get home from work and then football. Again, cheers for the advice and replies.

Here's one which has stumped me as I've never had to deal with it before: how do you make the F keys (F5 etc) work with FM? They just correspond to their function on the laptop at the moment. Example being if I want a screenshot, alt + F9 adjusts the volume rather than taking a screenshot?

When did that change as there used to be three divisions for Serie C2.

It dropped to 2 Divisions following the huge amount of clubs excluded at end of 2010/11 due to a bunch of infringements, Match-fixing, administration etc, rather than promoting a large number of Serie D clubs all at the same time they cut the number of sub divisions from 3 to 2, and I think only promoted the normal 9 sides.

Ok, this is really winding me up now. I think this is a genuine bug and wonder if anyone else has seen it to.

This first screenshot shows the reputation of all managers in the game. Note I am top.

worldmanagers.png

Now look at this screenshot. It proves how highly I am regarded in the game. I am rated the greatest manager of all time.

gamecareerhalloffamewor.png

Now the bug. This screenshot shows my application has been rejected by Paris Saint Germain. Yet another French club rejecting me. I have won the World Cup. I have won the Copa America. I have won the European Champions League numerous times. I have won the league in a few countries. The list goes on. Yet this happens time after time. Why?

darrentayloroverviewhom.png

i found that, the big french clubs rejected me out of hand regardless of titles i had won, to get anywhere in France i had to start at a lower side

There are a few reasons why I think this could be happening:

1) They think you are too good for their reputation and will end up leaving shortly after.

2) They believe they can't afford you? Your wage demands would be too high.

3) Maybe the French clubs don't want an English Manager,

4) Similar vein is that maybe you have managed a 'rival' and the board don't want to bring you in.

5) They don't like your style? eg Wenger's youth project would be unlikely to be hired by Abrahamovic.

There can be a few reasons why a club might not want to sign the best manager in the game...Think about Sir Alex, would he be hired by Man City? Celtic? Hell even most top European teams probably wouldn't hire him.

But, if you believe it is a bug then post it to the Bugs Forum and see what they say, the above has always been my view on it when a club you believe should hire you says no...

There are a few reasons why I think this could be happening:

1) They think you are too good for their reputation and will end up leaving shortly after.

2) They believe they can't afford you? Your wage demands would be too high.

3) Maybe the French clubs don't want an English Manager,

4) Similar vein is that maybe you have managed a 'rival' and the board don't want to bring you in.

5) They don't like your style? eg Wenger's youth project would be unlikely to be hired by Abrahamovic.

There can be a few reasons why a club might not want to sign the best manager in the game...Think about Sir Alex, would he be hired by Man City? Celtic? Hell even most top European teams probably wouldn't hire him.

But, if you believe it is a bug then post it to the Bugs Forum and see what they say, the above has always been my view on it when a club you believe should hire you says no...

It has happened ALL GAME with ALL French sides at ALL levels.

Last time I posted in the bug forum I got pooh poohed and they didn't believe me. So I cant be bothered.

It has happened ALL GAME with ALL French sides at ALL levels.

Last time I posted in the bug forum I got pooh poohed and they didn't believe me. So I cant be bothered.

I would be posting something like that, with screenshots, preferably with save games before you apply, once you've applied and after rejection. Because if it is just French sides, and of all levels then maybe it is a bug, if you actually write it up explaining the situation then the actual SI guys are pretty good at giving an explanation, or taking a look into it.

If it is All French sides then there must either be an explanation or it is a bug...

This is going to be one of those existential questions when I ask for advice, then ultimately ignore it and make a random decision by myself:

I have a great idea for a career thread, and have gotten more and more excited about it. I've downloaded a ton of custom-made leagues and the idea is to load a very varied amount of them, across every continent, then wander around them with a strict rule to allow me to travel a lot: never stay more than 1 season in a club.

This however would deprive me of one thing I enjoy a lot in FM which is building a squad long-term, and nurturing promising young players. To compensate and make it more interesting, this is going to be a career heavily focused on tactics - trying out different tactical systems in different footballing environments across the globe and adapting them to the available players.

Problem is I don't think I've got the time to juggle this new project alongside my current career. I'm starting to get far into the future (which I enjoy a lot) and finding some success in Serie A with Torino, on the verge of reaching top level. It's been a hugely rewarding season. However I also feel like it's been a bit too quick and easy. The 2nd season I was already in the swiss top tier. It's now the 8th season and I'm already fighting for the italian title, when I should probably still be struggling to get out of the lower leagues. That spoils it a lot for me. If I do the new career I will start at a far more modest point than I did with this.

Might end up scratching the new idea, or scratching the current career, or most likely, keeping both running and see what happens.

Multiple careers can cut into each other quite a bit (either that or one being left on the sidelines) so you'll probably have to choose to prioritise one at best, even Civ V (as occasional at best that I play it) can take valuable FM time away like in the past week. I can easily see a '1 season at a club' thing being problematic before too long as you'll often want to stay, though it probably would work well for a while if you make it a tactics-based on.

I know, it's unrealistic to think I'd have time for both but will probably start the career anyway, then will see which I get bored with the most.

I would love to do a Journeyman style career and document it but I am hampered by my laptop's performance and loading any more than a few leagues is a nightmare to play through. The idea that I have is similar to what noikeee is looking to do however instead of restricting myself to one season, I'd go for 1 contract. Once I sign, whether it's 1 or 5 years, that's how long I stay. I won't take another job until my contract runs out. This will mean I have to be careful when I sign to make sure I know what I want out of that stint. If it's to raise my own profile then say 2 years max and if I want to try build a dominant force then I might go for 5 years (if I can).

On FM11 I did a few seasons on a career with a similar sort of idea (based on Bela Guttmann's theory that the third season at a club was when everything starts to go wrong), but I didn't really get into it and only kept it going as long as I did because I felt obligated to continue the thread. Went back to my one-club save with Messina in the end. Enjoying the journeyman save I did this time much more, because it's freer.

It's Minecraft eating my FM time for me though!