dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,941 posts in this topic

Well I always thought on the previous games talent was hoovered up from smaller clubs far too quickly, so it's kind of swung the other way now. Discovering a gem playing for a small or obscure club is one of my favourite things - I've got a couple from Crvena Zvezda, one from Innsbruck and another from a Belgian side in my current team. None were promising youngsters plucked from their academies either - all 20+ and straight into the first team.

Well I always thought on the previous games talent was hoovered up from smaller clubs far too quickly, so it's kind of swung the other way now. Discovering a gem playing for a small or obscure club is one of my favourite things - I've got a couple from Crvena Zvezda, one from Innsbruck and another from a Belgian side in my current team. None were promising youngsters plucked from their academies either - all 20+ and straight into the first team.

Granted, I'm a big name in the National, but I shouldn't be able to pick up Ligue 1 exit talent without at least a lower Ligue 2 club being interested!

Can some one give me a quick overview of the Italian Pyramid? Serie C1/2 etc..

Can some one give me a quick overview of the Italian Pyramid? Serie C1/2 etc..

Serie A

Serie B

Serie C1A/B

Serie C2A/B

Serie D.

Title winners up in all cases, promotion from C2 is playoff from 2nd-5th. Playout in Serie C2 for 14-17th. C2/C1 have a Super Cup amongst the winners and runners up.

Serie A

Serie B

Serie C1A/B

Serie C2A/B

Serie D.

Title winners up in all cases, playout in Serie C2 for spot above relegation. C2/C1 have a Super Cup amongst the winners and runners up.

When did that change as there used to be three divisions for Serie C2.

When did that change as there used to be three divisions for Serie C2.

Very recently. Maybe even 2010/11?

Question: Do you think that certain leagues become irrevocably linked with certain posters?

Like you think N.I, you think Dafuge. Lower league England, you think Nobby etc etc. Well?

Question: Do you think that certain leagues become irrevocably linked with certain posters?

Like you think N.I, you think Dafuge. Lower league England, you think Nobby etc etc. Well?

I would agree some leagues instantly remind me of some user MLS rancer, mainly because I bothered him with questions for a long time. When the England national team job comes up I always think of Crouchy.

I would agree some leagues instantly remind me of some user MLS rancer, mainly because I bothered him with questions for a long time. When the England national team job comes up I always think of Crouchy.

See, when I think rancer, I think Far East. MLS is Jason The Yank to me.

Agree on Crouchy.

NI has NepentheZ as well as daf, don't forget. But yes, some leagues/clubs evoke careers I've read on here.

Yes I do :D

Makoto Nakamura is forever San Marino, for example.

Flamers - Iceland and hrbfcrule - Sweden are two that spring to mind.

See, when I think rancer, I think Far East. MLS is Jason The Yank to me.

Agree on Crouchy.

I feel more connected to Asia than MLS tbh, mainly because of my Small Club to Big Club Asian Challenge in CSE. Jason and Cerud are better examples of MLS. I've started in China and Indonesia in previous saves.

Nobby is England with Newcastle Town. Crouchy feels like a weird English/Italian mix. :D

AcidBurn - New Zealand. Because he always starts at Auckland City!

Deisler - Italy because of Calcio

Raware - Hong Kong

There was someone who managed Aberystwyth in Wales in FM11 I think, and IIRC he's American, but I don't remember his username. I think he got quite far and were Champions League challengers every year.

DodgeeD reminds of me of Turkey as well.

I might be wrong but I'll try guessing what football club some of the more familiar faces to me support...

AcidBurn - Sunderland

AK22, SRL88 - Liverpool

dafuge - Pompey

Nobby - Newcastle Town, Stoke City

hrbfcrule - Hampton & Richmond Borough? ;)

Raware - Long Eaton, Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest - errr easy one to guess :p

Crouchy - St. Albans, lower league English football in general

DazRTaylor - wild guess but Yeovil!

HotChocolate - Sunderland?

cpfc543 - Crystal Palace

ManUTactician - Manchester United, Galatasaray

cerud - Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Spurs (I think)

I don't know for sure who the likes of deltablue, B.W.G, Matoko, Snake, tomtuck support but you can add on as well.

I'm a Man City fan but you wouldn't know that considering half my time playing outside England :D

I think support is a loose term for me these days. The last match I attended was Newcastle Town v FC United of Manchester, probably five or six years ago. I didn't even go to the FA Cup Semi Final or Final last season with Stoke.

I certainly want both of those teams to do well above any one else, and I have a soft spot for Billericay Town following my three epic saves with them on CM/FM.

Spot on mate :thup:

Season ticket holder at Huish Park for over 10 years. I am not from here though I have lived in Yeovil for 17 years of my life. I was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne so Newcastle are my 'other' team (please note if/when they meet in a game, I want Yeovil to win). :D

I might be wrong but I'll try guessing what football club some of the more familiar faces to me support...

AcidBurn - Sunderland and Crewe

AK22, SRL88 - Liverpool

dafuge - Pompey

Nobby - Newcastle Town, Stoke City

Raware - Long Eaton, Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest - errr easy one to guess :p

Crouchy - St. Albans, lower league English football in general

HotChocolate - Sunderland?

cpfc543 - Crystal Palace

ManUTactician - Manchester United, Galatasaray

cerud - Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Spurs (I think)

I don't know for sure who the likes of deltablue, B.W.G, Matoko, Snake, tomtuck support but you can add on as well.

Fixed my part.

Yep and Chelsea as well

Newcastle United are my boyhood club, and Bath City my local.

Ipswich for me, Barcelona as a strong second.

Newcastle United are my boyhood club, and Bath City my local.

unfollow on twitter lol

unfollow on twitter lol

:D

Quite a few mackems on here, aren't there?

:D

Quite a few mackems on here, aren't there?

Which just proves not everyone is perfect :D

Mine are Arsenal, Gillingham and Wycombe.

Ok, quick question:

Have any of you ever destroyed a keyboard due to FM? As in, you lost your temper and thumped it and the keys went everywhere? I have, ages ago. FM2009 I think it was. I was 3-0 up with 5 minutes to play. And lost 4-3. I went mental. :o

I might be wrong but I'll try guessing what football club some of the more familiar faces to me support...Raware - Long Eaton, Nottingham Forest

Spot on! :thup:

I feel more connected to Asia than MLS tbh, mainly because of my Small Club to Big Club Asian Challenge in CSE. Jason and Cerud are better examples of MLS. I've started in China and Indonesia in previous saves.

Nobby is England with Newcastle Town. Crouchy feels like a weird English/Italian mix. :D

AcidBurn - New Zealand. Because he always starts at Auckland City!

Deisler - Italy because of Calcio

Raware - Hong Kong

There was someone who managed Aberystwyth in Wales in FM11 I think, and IIRC he's American, but I don't remember his username. I think he got quite far and were Champions League challengers every year.

DodgeeD reminds of me of Turkey as well.

I feel an Asian save coming on now...;)

@delta You from Suffolk then?

I'm not actually.

You've got me spot on Rancer! :thup:

Anyway, quick question for you guys.... I know the add/remove leagues feature is somewhat broken when adding leagues, but can you safely remove leagues?

I loaded quite a number of leagues on my career save and although my computer can handle it, I'm thinking of removing a few that I'm unlikely to visit in my career. I just want to speed things up a little bit really.

Any advice?

I think removing is fine the only reason adding doesn't work is because it swells the database by adding too many crappy players. I have removed a few leagues from my save with no negatives but I would advise saving before hand.

Removing is fine, managed to keep the runtime errors at bay in my previous career by removing at least few nations/leagues each year or two, but I could only keep it up for so long which is why I stopped just before they were about to get bad again.

Is there anything sadder than seeing a player in the lowest playable/amateur leagues with an U-21 cap? I know it's only a game, but I feel bad for the guy, imagining what path got him that one cap. Was he a top-flight reject? A player that threatened to make it to the top one season then burnt out? Or was it simply he was the best available on short notice?

Thanks for that Delta and AB!

I'm thinking of just removing three or four nations to take my total leagues loaded down. I will probably go from 12 to 8 just to see if I can add some extra speed.

As I'm going to be mainly based in Italy, it seems worthwhile to knock a few leagues off. I do intend to travel after I feel that I've reached a good point in Italy to move away. However, I think by that stage, it's unlikely I'll go to a considerably smaller nation like Sweden, for example. Plus, I might save Sweden for a future one club save!

I think Dafuge had eight nations for his career save on FM11 so that seems like probably a good number to aim for. I don't want to reduce options too much but I just want to speed things up. And I'll try to keep at least one 'wild card' country in there.

I'll have to think carefully though because once they're gone, they're gone!

Another quick question: what is the best add-on for step 3 and 4 of the Non-League pyramid these days? Is Uncle Ron's still the most accurate and reliable?

Anyone have any experiences playing with it? Please bear in mind that I am a little over-the-top when it comes to everything being perfect, so even a slight inaccuracy might well upset me!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback as I've been thinking of trying it out at some point on FM12.

Another quick question: what is the best add-on for step 3 and 4 of the Non-League pyramid these days? Is Uncle Ron's still the most accurate and reliable?

Anyone have any experiences playing with it? Please bear in mind that I am a little over-the-top when it comes to everything being perfect, so even a slight inaccuracy might well upset me!

I'd be interested to hear any feedback as I've been thinking of trying it out at some point on FM12.

As far as I understand, but I wouldn't know personally.

Is there anything sadder than seeing a player in the lowest playable/amateur leagues with an U-21 cap? I know it's only a game, but I feel bad for the guy, imagining what path got him that one cap. Was he a top-flight reject? A player that threatened to make it to the top one season then burnt out? Or was it simply he was the best available on short notice?

Never really thought of that before but it does make you wonder how the player achieved that one cap.

What leagues do people struggle with? By struggle I mean not enjoy. In my save, I am currently at Valencia and I am just not having fun so am seriously thinking of resigning at the end of the campaign. What about the rest of you?

I love managing in Spain. I think the African leagues are least enjoyable for me but I have to play in one to win the African Champions League for my challenge, I usually go to Egypt but it's boring and South Africa is not as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

I have to win La Liga and the Champions league with a Spanish club for my challenge but may come back later in the save - there is still plenty for me to do that I will enjoy. :)

I think Spain is the place I manage most on my non-career forum saves.

I think Spain is the place I manage most on my non-career forum saves.

Never really had a long save there as I just don't enjoy it. The lower leagues are an even bigger nightmare to me.

I like the German leagues (and English, obviously!) and could spends years there.

I really want to manage in France but I kept getting turned down for jobs! I won the treble with Arsenal, yet got turned down by both Lyon & Lille! Figure that out.

I've not had much luck in Northern Ireland, can't really say I have ever enjoyed managing there.

I've never liked managing in England. Bores me.

I hate any league with work permits because it prevents me from signing Canadians with EU second nationality. :mad:

As probably noted before, I like the Asian leagues in addition to MLS. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's a lot of fun to me.

And congratz to the LA Kings for winning the Stanley Cup!

I would say Brazil - the season is just far, far too long - but there's a lot of fun things about it as well.

My favourite league systems are in England and Italy. I've also really enjoyed Germany in the past. Probably the furthest afield and the most different league I've managed in is India and I actually really enjoyed myself there.

I'm quite bad at adjusting to leagues with less European rules or structures, so I guess like Mexico or Argentina and that kind of thing. Although I will have to try those leagues at some point and I have them loaded in my current career save.

It'll frustrate Rancer but I always find the MLS off putting but that's mainly down to my ignorance of the rules and understanding of how the game works. I keep threatening myself with managing there one day and, who knows, I might love it! MLS is loaded in my calcio save, so maybe when I'm tired of winning everything there is to win in Italy (yeah, right!) and looking for a new challenge, I could head out there. Toronto FC sounds like a good club, maybe? :p

One strange thing is that I've never really played in Spain very much either and for some reason Spanish football has never really interested me much.

I can't say I've ever just disliked a league system though but some have definitely caught my imagination less than others. As I'm a lower league type of player in that I like to start at the bottom, I tend to get fed up with leagues with only one or two tiers.

I guess sometimes there are certain nations and leagues that just don't appeal much to both my sense of culture background and my sense of my managerial character. For example, Brazil would seem a strange place to manage for me. I like to play with European style tactics and I'm a pragmatist type of manager, for starters, so I just think Brazil and I wouldn't get on! :D

I've never liked managing in England. Bores me.

Does lower league football in England bore you also? Is it just Premier League?

For lower league football, I love England, especially with the FA Cup and FA Trophy. One thing that frustrates me from time to time in other league systems is the lack of cups, especially for lower league teams to compete in!

I like the Asian leagues in addition to MLS.

Which Asian leagues would you say are your absolute favourites and why? I'm curious!