dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,934 posts in this topic

I enjoy that I don't have to shamelessly advertise my video:

[video=youtube;txmRp07DLg4]

But in all seriousness watch it if you want to watch me continually screw up :D

I met an Italian football fan at the football yesterday at St. Albans City v Weymouth. Almost an Italian version of myself, in fact! Whilst he was drooling over the prospect of watching English Non-League football at its very best at Clarence Park, I was talking to him and asking endless questions about Serie C, D and below (basically, the Italian equivalent of 'Non-League')! :D

He was an awesome guy. A Cremonese fan and said to me that he wants to bring me a scarf and shirt next time he comes to St. Albans so that I will support his team. :D I told him that he has to make St. Albans City his English team! I did want to tell him that I once took his beloved Cremonese to Serie A and that I won the Scudetto with them on CM03/04 with Milan Baros and Toledo up front, but I thought it best not to admit just how much of a nerd I am to a total stranger. :o

Did you ask about Santarcangelo?????

I met an Italian football fan at the football yesterday at St. Albans City v Weymouth. Almost an Italian version of myself, in fact! Whilst he was drooling over the prospect of watching English Non-League football at its very best at Clarence Park, I was talking to him and asking endless questions about Serie C, D and below (basically, the Italian equivalent of 'Non-League')! :D

He was an awesome guy. A Cremonese fan and said to me that he wants to bring me a scarf and shirt next time he comes to St. Albans so that I will support his team. :D I told him that he has to make St. Albans City his English team! I did want to tell him that I once took his beloved Cremonese to Serie A and that I won the Scudetto with them on CM03/04 with Milan Baros and Toledo up front, but I thought it best not to admit just how much of a nerd I am to a total stranger. :o

He might have done a similar thing with St Albans. :D

Did you ask about Santarcangelo?????

Afraid not Deisler! Maybe next time! ;)

He might have done a similar thing with St Albans. :D

You could well be right Nobby. :D

I would be really grateful if someone could tell me how the tutoring system works on FM12 and why I can't tutor one of my players. :(

I have a promising looking 20-year-old who needs tutoring but the option is greyed out. When I hover over the option, it says that he isn't old enough. Yet, I have the option to tutor a 19-year-old, so this can't be right!

I was talking with Flamers and he was suggesting that it could be the player's reputation. He could well be right as this player is a key player for the team and probably the most promising player in terms of potential in the whole squad.

It'll be a shame if I can't tutor him as he badly needs it. Right now, he doesn't match my expectations in terms of what I expect of my players and their personalities!

Grrrr, I hate the addition of agents in this game. In general, I'm never that keen on fiddling with the contracts etc.

What do people feel about this in terms of realism? Should you be able to hand this responsibility over to your board or chairman or something? Or delegate staff to take care of it?

I was watching an interview with Harry Redknapp some time ago and he suggested that he didn't have a clue what some of his players were earning. He said it was all done by the chairman.

I honestly imagine most managers don't get involved in this level of detail. I imagine they have knowledge of a budget and idea of which players fit into which bracket but other than that......

I would like to be able to hand discussions over to the chairman or a member of the board or whatever but also to be able to say 'this play is a key player and will fit into the top bracket in terms of wages'. I tell them the value of the player, they do the negotiations, and I just have an idea of how the budget is doing. I feel like that would be quite a realistic way of doing things.

Sure, my manager loves to get a bargain and sign up cheap unwanted players to make them into a success. But he also definitely isn't an accountant and he basically just wants to sign up some players and then get on with the football coaching/tactics/strategy bit, which is the bit that he is good at! :D

What do you FMCUers think?

I am an accountant (well, training) so I love it :D

I am an accountant (well, training) so I love it :D

Interesting, I'm an accounting student. Anyway doing those deals is the main thing I enjoy doing, and can do not being much of a T and T man.

I love it. The old system with sending an offer to a player and getting his reply a week later was rubbish, with this you can get a contract negotiated quickly and realistically. You can also structure the terms of the deal quite nicely sometimes. I've always loved working the transfer market though, it's only in recent years I've started enjoying the tactical side as well to be honest.

Interesting replies and totally the opposite to what I was expecting. :D

Looks like we have some football accountants among us rather than old fashioned, no nonsense football men like myself. :p

FWIW, I like the new system of negotiating on the spot as SnakeXe mentions. I just have a dislike of agents, which I suppose most real life football managers also have! It's also that I'm just not all that interested in the numbers or the finances though.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love raiding the transfer market for a good bargain. I also love the feeling of getting together a good squad on a low budget and overachieving. But I just feel like my kind of manager wouldn't be getting into this level of detail with numbers and other aspects of contracts. My manager is too busy with coaching, tactics, overall club footballing strategy, squad building and so on and so forth! You know, the proper footballing stuff!

I actually might visit GD actually just to see what the general consensus is! It'll be my first trip there for a while. I bet it hasn't changed much! :D

I never actually negotiated a contract under the old system (aside from offering more bonuses when I couldn't quite offer enough) as I never thought I'd actually get anywhere, and would have taken ages even if I did.

Crouchy you forget that most of the time I have spent without agents anyway :D

This whole subject does bring me on to another topic, which is that I wonder whether or not the game in general needs more 'role playing' aspects, so that you can better define your manager in the game. Are you a spendthrift manager, a coach who is strongest in training and squad building, a tactical genius, an old fashioned and no nonsense manager, primarily a motivator, or perhaps a mix of these or even an all rounder! If this could then reflect the way that the footballing world reacts to you more, that would be pretty special in my opinion.

I wanted to be an agent a few years before I realized I was terrible with the legal stuff, so tbf I don't mind the addition one bit. Tempted to sometimes give the agent a bit more every now and then. :D

I would find the game very boring if I can't negotiate contracts and transfer signings!

I do finances and motivation, once I have a tactic that works I stuck by it.

This whole subject does bring me on to another topic, which is that I wonder whether or not the game in general needs more 'role playing' aspects, so that you can better define your manager in the game. Are you a spendthrift manager, a coach who is strongest in training and squad building, a tactical genius, an old fashioned and no nonsense manager, primarily a motivator, or perhaps a mix of these or even an all rounder! If this could then reflect the way that the footballing world reacts to you more, that would be pretty special in my opinion.

My specialty is financial management and I will never spend big on one player. Or more or less Wenger-like approach but I actually win trophies.

I'm more or less a one tactic person if it works I'll stick with it.

I can't say I particularly like the agent feature. Yes, it is more realistic, but I do find it a bit of an arduous task, and would be quite happy if I didn't have to bother with it.

I also think that the negotiations need tweaking with a bit, too. IMO, it can be overly difficult to agree terms with players who would walk over hot coals to join the club, but have ridiculous loyalty bonus/agent fees, and won't budge one jot on them.

Make sure you watch MOTD guys, Ben Arfa's goal today was just Messi-esque.

Just about makes up for the turgid first half! :D

The whole game was rubbish until then! Worst performance from us since the 0-5 versus Spurs. Dunno why we played hoof-ball all game when we've played so well in the last few with a short passing game. Doesn't make sense.

Got an excellent chance at fourth now, though. Especially as Spurs look like self-destructing.

I was speaking with a Spurs fan back in January, the day that they were playing Man City. They were adamant that they would stay in the title race, and a third place finish was the worse case scenario. I bet if I offered them fourth now, they'd bite my hand off! :D

Episode 2 is up, I find out how obnoxious rain is even in real life!

[video=youtube;XHyldh9qNJ0]

What are people star rating for estimated speed when setting up a new game?

I have always played with around 3 and a half stars for long career games but am considering adding a few more leagues but it is 2 stars. I think the more players the game has slows it down rather than the amount of leagues if that makes sense.

IIRC for my KFK save it was 1 star, this one is 3 :)

Estimated speed has always been half star for me. It's not too bad (although I have no idea how fast it is when it's 3.5 stars since I never play with that few leagues!)

Mine's 2 stars, which is the same as my game last year.

Always minimum. In FM10 I wanted to add a number of top division that I hadn't had for ages (below the top 8-12 nations) but quickly gave up when it went all the way down when I was still adding those I wasn't going to go without, I'm used to a slower pace anyway so it's too subjective to we rated, especially by a system that was flawed at first.

Yeah, I go for about 2 stars too. Game was running fine, but since the player numbers jumped up significantly, there is a bit of a lag now after 20 seasons.

Yeah, I go for about 2 stars too. Game was running fine, but since the player numbers jumped up significantly, there is a bit of a lag now after 20 seasons.

Did you add any leagues to get the significant jump in player numbers?

The add/remove league feature does not work properly and adds too many players, so I am hoping to add all the leagues I need at the start.

It was more of a query than anything as like delta says speed of the game is subjective.

Mine always seems to be 1/2 star and it seems to work fine for me

Did you add any leagues to get the significant jump in player numbers?

The add/remove league feature does not work properly and adds too many players, so I am hoping to add all the leagues I need at the start.

It was more of a query than anything as like delta says speed of the game is subjective.

Yeah, I added four leagues, and the player totals progressively went from 65000 to 170000! I realise now that this is not quite how the feature should work!

I've managed to get it down to about 130k by removing a handful of leagues. Still not ideal, but not quite as bad as it was! The processing speed isn't too bad, but using the player search is a bit tedious now.

Yeah, I added four leagues, and the player totals progressively went from 65000 to 170000! I realise now that this is not quite how the feature should work!

I've managed to get it down to about 130k by removing a handful of leagues. Still not ideal, but not quite as bad as it was! The processing speed isn't too bad, but using the player search is a bit tedious now.

I am really annoyed how this feature turned out. It adds 10 times as many players for a league added using that feature than it does if you add the league at the start.

It's actually one reason I have only used the feature once and didn't want to use it for my career games, because I knew there would be some problems with the add/remove leagues in some way.

Even when removing leagues I saw the number of players didn't drop that much. Still went faster so suited me.

There are two things that dictate "speed"

1) Leagues - adding leagues increases processing time, so reduces speed and vice versa

2) Player count - adding players increases save time and processing time on league reset day, so reduces speed and vice versa

The problem with the "Game Speed" is that it only counts players and not leagues, so a 10k DB with 70 leagues would probably be slower than a 70k DB with 1 league.

I haven't noticed an increase in player numbers, unless I'm looking at the wrong player search?

My Santarcangelo career is 2/3 stars, I think

Over 5 seasons my player count went from 50,000 to 150,000, the player search became unusable.

Mine's steady at about 80k, player search is slow but usable. Although I only really use it to collate all the scouting reports into one list. Says 2* speed, which is perfectly good for me.

My player search says 17k whereas using genie scout (for the soul purpose of this) shows that I have 82K in my database, with 10K of staff.

My player search says 17k whereas using genie scout (for the soul purpose of this) shows that I have 82K in my database, with 10K of staff.

Interesting. What is your scouting knowledge %?

I have just created a World Champions League, obviously I want teams from all over place to have their real players. What extra players do you think I should load? I will be starting with New Zealand league only.

Interesting. What is your scouting knowledge %?

It's 11% of the world.

That's what happens when your scouts get poached and you don't have the resources to get any decent ones in. :D

Is anyone on here any good with the editor?

Managed to create a World Champions League but cannot get any other competitions to run alongside it.

Recently I've been wondering about testing FM12 again and seeing if the runtime errors are gone, and if so, reviving the old thread. Lots of arguements for and against though so wondering if people would be interested if I could switch back to the old save.

I am sure I read somewhere that screenshots are deleted from imageshack after 6 months unless you are signed up to it, does anyone know if that's true?

I have an account on photobucket, problem solved :D

I have an account on photobucket, problem solved :D

This. Unlimited storage FTW. :cool: