dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,028 posts in this topic

8/3/11, 1/3/10 and 26/2/09 were the last three release dates for post transfer window patches, the Valentine's Day one was indeed FM08 :D

Ah, happy days. :D I've often been known for my unusual levels of FM08 love but I actually think FM10 is now my favourite of all time!

Perhaps FM12 will take its place in time? Well, you never know. I can say that I am at least enjoying it very much and it seems so more and more each time I play it. Having a lot of fun with my Mezzocorona team at the moment with the magic of Luca Righini in midfield and the goalscoring of Andrea Mandorlini. Sometimes I think it just takes a good save with some decent narrative and some players you can get attached to in order to get you to fall in love with a new FM. You'll know what I'm talking about Dafuge. I'm sure there are some FMs that live long in your heart after one of your epic saves!

It's not too bad in there the most annoying threads are the steam ones and people claiming the game is scripted and fixed. In my opinion there are very rarely any threads that bring about a good discussion.

Sounds about the same as it always was then AB. Apart from the good old days when the likes of you and I were posting and fighting the good fight! ;):D

Get started on the England one I think we would all really enjoy it.

Cheers AB. I had a lot of fun on FM10 with my Fabio Crouchello save. Quite a nice save to run alongside a proper career, like my latest calcio one, as you can pick it up now and then, and play a game here and there, as something interesting on the side. I got really into that Fabio Crouchello save, especially trying to win the World Cup and coming so close. Plenty of ups and downs!

Sounds about the same as it always was then AB. Apart from the good old days when the likes of you and I were posting and fighting the good fight! ;):D

Mike posted a few great threads in the last few months but most end up getting lost amongst the rubbish complaint threads.

AcidBurn, I wasn't being serious :D

I was hoping you would say that lol.

[video=youtube;DEqRc4JS9R4]

3 months out of action and my 20 year old returns to his left wing slot and scores this goal, not too special but I love the through ball.

I love a good through ball in FM.

Although most of the time, they're coming from the opposition. :mad:

I love a good when's the patch out or a steam is **** thread, it really makes my day.

Although I think you are sneakily kind of asking when is the patch out.

This seems like a good time to say I hate Steam, don't own any games on it, and never will.

:D

Oh dear, this can't be true can it? :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/12/harry-redknapp-paul-scholes-england

Scholes retired altogether at the end of last season but he made a surprise comeback for United in the FA Cup win at Manchester City on 8 January and he has since appeared in every match for the club, winning praise for his performances. Redknapp would now like to see him go back on another retirement decision.

"Let's be honest, you would love to have Paul Scholes in the Euros this year," he said. "He'd be in your team, he's that good. Whoever's there would love to take him, I'm sure. You'd love him to play. He plays like the Spaniards, like Xavi [Hernández] or [Andrés] Iniesta. He does not give the ball away."

It was put to Redknapp that Scott Parker, his midfield general at Tottenham, could make an England captain, which he agreed with, but it sounded as though Gerrard would be his preference.

"I think there are some good candidates," Redknapp said. "Gerrard is a good candidate. Stevie Gerrard is a fantastic player. There are one or two who could do it. Scottie could do it, for sure, but so could Steve."

Maybe 'arry is just trying to sabotage his chances. :D

Oh 'Arry, what's next?

"That George Best, 'e was a t'riffic player. I'd definitely ask him to reconsider his death and come back into the England squad. What? He's Northern Irish? Well as I said 'es a t'riffic player but I don't like to talk about other team's players, we'll see if the chairman can do a deal."

I actually could have thumped him one when he was yammering on about the Demba Ba release clause in January. "I don't know what the clause is, people keep saying different numbers." No, melty-face, the only one talking about it is you.

That freaks me out. I can't look at it any more.

And AB, I'm finally back on. That password reminder thing seemed to do the trick. At first it didn't work but it randomly loaded up when I reset my browser. Thanks for your help! Now I can waste my time on the forums again rather than being productive! :D

I've not started revising for an exam next week, not that I need to to that much to be sure of passing so it's not urgent, but definitely want to soon.

Very interesting. Also opens the question: if the MLS continues to increase in quality and prestige, will we eventually see quality English players start to move over there? I think the main barrier to them moving abroad currently is a bit of a fear of the cultural difference and obviously the language. If there's the opportunity to move to a reputable league that pays well and is in a country with a familiar culture and language, would more of them take it?

Very interesting. Also opens the question: if the MLS continues to increase in quality and prestige, will we eventually see quality English players start to move over there? I think the main barrier to them moving abroad currently is a bit of a fear of the cultural difference and obviously the language. If there's the opportunity to move to a reputable league that pays well and is in a country with a familiar culture and language, would more of them take it?

I hope this isn't serious?

I think you could be right, I know he is hardly world class but David Bentley has been talking about a loan move to the MLS recently. I think they could attract more English players now from Championship level if they could offer more money. I wonder how much the MLS will eventually increase the salary cap to.

On my way to the gym before work and I have the new Mark Lanegan & Air albums on shuffle for the journey, which got me thinking....

A) What's on your stereo ATM? And b) For those who gym/run, what's on your work out playlists?

I think I have answered the above question :D

Just two songs on your whole playlist?

Current playlist includes:

Isobel Campbell & Mark Langean - Ballad of the Broken Seas

Interpol - Antics

Ladytron - Velocifero

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Faith Healer: An Intro to SAHB (

is such an awesome song)

Faithless, Pendulum, Energy 52, Delerium, Darude, Daft Punk, that sort of thing. Reminds me of when I was young :(

Faithless, Pendulum, Energy 52, Delerium, Darude, Daft Punk, that sort of thing. Reminds me of when I was young :(

Ah, back to the old clubbing days...

My guess is anyone coming from the "big five" leagues will be someone either near the end of his career, or looking to get his career back on track. I get what you're saying about a familiar culture and language, but you don't see a lot of quality English players heading to the other top leagues.

It may be possible that you could see more if the debt crisis swallows more countries, or HMRC really starts cracking down on British clubs.

I think you could be right, I know he is hardly world class but David Bentley has been talking about a loan move to the MLS recently. I think they could attract more English players now from Championship level if they could offer more money. I wonder how much the MLS will eventually increase the salary cap to.

Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement with the players union, there is an annual 5% increase in the cap. That's in effect for the duration of the CBA, which runs through 2014.

That said, MLS technically doesn't have a salary cap. They've always called it a "salary budget," which gives them some wiggle room (partly because there are mechanisms like allocation dollars that let you buy down a cap charge for a player). You can't spend like Man City, but if you're a couple hundred thousand dollars over, you're not going to get your knuckles rapped.

One issue though is that when the CBA was agreed, MLS said that only Seattle and Toronto were profitable. Even teams with their own stadiums like LA and Columbus were in the red. That was before Red Bulls moved out of Giants Stadium though, and I remember a few years earlier that the rent was so enormous (I think it was in the neighborhood of $250,000 per game), that the league as a whole would be in the red, even if every team bar New York was in their own stadium.

MLS gets players from South America largely because they're willing to come to the league at a cost lower than say getting a veteran European player from a top tier league with a DP price tag. Acquiring players from South American countries. TFC acquiried a couple Chilean defenders, one who got capped in a friendly against Canada. We also got a Bermudan international winger of Ipswich and hes only 20.Theres also partnerships between MLS and big teams like Spurs and San Jose (and the Quakes got a good winger in Simon Dawkins) and LA Galaxy and Sao Paulo (juninho). We're going to get our fair share of players who are on the fringes of the first team and looking for a final big paycheque but there are a lot of quality young players from other nations which will only help young Canadian and American players and push them to be better.

MLS gets players from South America largely because they're willing to come to the league at a cost lower than say getting a veteran European player from a top tier league with a DP price tag. Acquiring players from South American countries. TFC acquiried a couple Chilean defenders, one who got capped in a friendly against Canada. We also got a Bermudan international winger of Ipswich and hes only 20.Theres also partnerships between MLS and big teams like Spurs and San Jose (and the Quakes got a good winger in Simon Dawkins) and LA Galaxy and Sao Paulo (juninho). We're going to get our fair share of players who are on the fringes of the first team and looking for a final big paycheque but there are a lot of quality young players from other nations which will only help young Canadian and American players and push them to be better.

There is that, sure. But I think the league is also looking at internationals from the smaller European nations (like Joel Lindpere for New York - although he almost immediately retired from the Estonia national team after signing - and Branko Boskovic and Hamdi Salihi for DC United, although those guys came with DP tags unlike Lindpere). The league isn't going to have the coin or cachet for a national team player with a big international side (John Terry or Carles Puyol, to pull 2 random names), but the guys with the second- or third-tier European NTs are still relatively affordable.

One other consideration is the changes to the DP rule. They structured it with the idea of scooping up players aging out of their U20 or U23 national teams.

On my way to the gym before work and I have the new Mark Lanegan & Air albums on shuffle for the journey, which got me thinking....

A) What's on your stereo ATM? And b) For those who gym/run, what's on your work out playlists?

A) I've got a "Stars in Their Eyes" style gig coming up I'm entering a few bands into so I'm listening to the songs I'll be playing:

Tool - Schism, Forty-Six & 2, Parabola, Lateralus

Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets, Three Evils, A Favor House Atlantic

Mastodon - Crack the Skye, Quintessence, Blood and Thunder

B) I swim so my workout playlist is "bloblobloblobloblob"

Used to love Daft Punk but not listened to them for years. Might have to dig out some CD's now.

I need to get a playlist ready for my biking this summer :cool:

I would just like to point this out: for what is a bunch of nerds, well we are really, we seem to spend a lot of time exercising. Someone write a thesis on it!

I have one of those five CD changer stereos, so these are the CDs I currently have in:

Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring.

Sibelius Symphony No. 1 & Violin Concerto.

Mahler Symphony No. 5.

Then finally a two disc compilation of Debussy piano works.

In terms of pop music, my 'go to' records are usually Morrissey ones. :D

Ditto. Also a swimmer here. :thup:

This is a bit bonkers. Apparently Fox (which won the rights to the 2018 and 2022 World Cups) went to FIFA to see if Sepp and the boys could lean on MLS to switch to the fall-spring calendar.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/139412843.html

Mind you, Fox has lost its rights to MLS matches. The league jumped to the new NBC Sports Network (previously called Versus) starting with this season. I suppose it's possible Fox went to FIFA before MLS changed rights-partners, otherwise this is just batshit crazy.

And me, although you might have guessed with me doing the Swimmathon :D

It does give it away a bit.

This is a bit bonkers. Apparently Fox (which won the rights to the 2018 and 2022 World Cups) went to FIFA to see if Sepp and the boys could lean on MLS to switch to the fall-spring calendar.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/139412843.html

Mind you, Fox has lost its rights to MLS matches. The league jumped to the new NBC Sports Network (previously called Versus) starting with this season. I suppose it's possible Fox went to FIFA before MLS changed rights-partners, otherwise this is just batshit crazy.

Thinking about it, it might make sense for MLS to go Apertura/Clausura style. Break in the summer where it's too hot in the south, break in the winter when it's too hot in the north. Also means no problems with players missing league games for international tournaments, which will likely be more of a problem as the league grows in stature.

I would just like to point this out: for what is a bunch of nerds, well we are really, we seem to spend a lot of time exercising. Someone write a thesis on it!

Speak for yourself mate, I'm a rockstar :cool:

:p

Speak for yourself mate, I'm a rockstar.

Did somebody say rockstar?

[video=youtube;21VrjPXxViE]

[video=youtube;ePAeWjOMvl4]

I class myself as a rockstar to though Snake.

hes a great vocalist seen myles kennedy live when i saw alter bridge gig last October

I was thinking last night and if I could have 1 rule, this would be it:

In any tournament in any sport (mainly football obviously) you would have to play this song when the trophy is lifted.

[video=youtube;jbhqaqAk7N8]

It's so befitting! And I love it! Had it on in the car on the way back from Huddersfield after an amazing 1-0 win with the mighty Blades :D

I was thinking last night and if I could have 1 rule, this would be it:

In any tournament in any sport (mainly football obviously) you would have to play this song when the trophy is lifted.

[video=youtube;jbhqaqAk7N8]

It's so befitting! And I love it! Had it on in the car on the way back from Huddersfield after an amazing 1-0 win with the mighty Blades :D

I don't even...

tumblr_lk437yAtZd1qek2g7.jpg

tumblr_lk4396Fhb51qek2g7.gif

What do you mean? I'm talking long-term of course.

The way you went from English-MLS, then went onto the stuff about the language barrier.

:D

It's not that surprising - we're not just nerds, we're sports nerds. :D

Deisler:

How. Dare. You :D:D

and here we go and here we go....... and ere we goooooooooooooo.... rockin all over the world and I like it, I like it, I like it, I like it :cool:

I got my ipod on shuffle in my car and on my way home I had tracks from Elvis Presley, Adele, The Chemical Brothers plus one I didn't recognise.

Go one then, that reminds me of one of the best ways of sharing your musical tastes.

On your digital music player of choice, stick it on shuffle and post the first five tunes that come out. No cheating.

Here are mine:

Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine

Doctor Who - Orbital

Touch It - Busta Rhymes

Return of Django - The Upsetters

Secret Agent - Netsky

Stealing daf's post

On your digital music player of choice, stick it on shuffle and post the first five tunes that come out. No cheating.

Here are mine:

The Offspring - Cool To Hate

Lostprophets - A View To Kill

Sonic Boom Six - Mean, Back In The Real World

Bowling For Soup - Running From Your Dad

Scooter - I'll Put You On The Guest List

That about sums it up :D

1. Marilyn Manson - Minute of Decay

2. Cee Lo Green - F**k You

3. Plan B - Hard Times

4. Michael Jackson - Black Or White

5. Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls

Strange as my ipod is mostly filled with motown and classic rock.