dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,958 posts in this topic

I have read books on my iPod, not a great fan.

I watched the first half, rugby for women ;)

I watched the first half but not watched the 2nd half (had it on in the background) because I was creating a new challenge in the Challenge thread. Very cheap plug.

I will be attempting this :D

I didn't watch (mainly as I was at work)

A Boston team vs. a New York team. :shrug:

Happy that the Patriots lost, however Eli will now be thought of as an 'Elite' QB :(

I have read books on my iPod, not a great fan.

I watched the first half, rugby for women ;)

Because the iPod is a terrible device for reading from, I'm talking about Kindles :p

I was watching it after getting back from seeing Mastodon in Bristol* then decided to go to bed when they started saying Madonna would be on soon.

*Awesome gig, Mastodon are just such a great band. All four of them can sing really well and are amazing at their respective instruments as well. And the songs and concepts are excellent. Dillinger Escape Plan and Red Fang supported, the former were very good when they dialed back the heaviness, the latter were excellent - like an old-man Queens of the Stoneage. Definitely be looking them up for further listening!

That music is a little too heavy even for me, but I love AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Rose Tattoo - that kinda stuff :cool:

Snake has an idea of what I listen to, All Time Low, Scooter and Parkway Drive all feature heavily :D

That music is a little too heavy even for me, but I love AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Rose Tattoo - that kinda stuff :cool:

Check out the Crack the Skye and Hunter albums from Mastodon, they've become a lot less heavy since Blood and Thunder (the one most people know if they know anything by them). Really fantastic melodies and song structures. And the concept for Crack the Skye is incredible - a quadriplegic who learns astral projection to escape the confines of his own body. It was the first album I listened to in a good few years that I actually had to listen to again a couple of times after the first play-through.

I remember seeing Iron Maiden at Earl's Court when I was 18, absolutely blew my mind. Trivium were the support and they looked like absolute rank amateurs in comparison! Although when I saw them (Trivium) again a couple of years ago in Bristol when they were touring Shogun I have to say I was impressed. Definitely matured in the mean time.

Their fans are still tards though.

I'd be more likely to listen to Converge than Mastodon, but the rest of the bands mentioned... :rolleyes::lol:

I'd be more likely to listen to Converge than Mastodon, but the rest of the bands mentioned... :rolleyes::lol:

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate all genres of music :cool:

:p

In all seriousness I listen to/play a massive range of music. I'm in four bands at the moment playing R&B, electro, swing, and djent/prog metal. I'm just as likely to go to a musical as Metallica. All music is awesome.

Snake has an idea of what I listen to, All Time Low, Scooter and Parkway Drive all feature heavily :D

Please tell me that is a joke.

Which part AB? It depends on what I am doing. Scooter is incredibly good when cycling to uni :D

Which part AB? It depends on what I am doing. Scooter is incredibly good when cycling to uni :D

Scooter, that's not that dance stuff is it?

I think it might be, I'm actually rather fond of eurodance myself.

Oh good God :eek:

I can listen to quite a bit of music without wanting to put a bullet in the brain, although my favourites are hard rock or classic rock, but dance and a lot of the MTV crap makes my soul want to projectile vomit. :D

Only dance I ever listened to was Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim and The Chemical Brothers. I prefer rock music like the Doors I like them so much I have the lead singer tattooed on my chest, other than classic rock I love Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Monster Magnet, Insane Clown Posse, Queens of the Stoneage anything rock-ish I suppose. My ipod is filled with all sorts though from Guns and Roses to Scissor Sisters.

I suppose the only modern dance type of music I listen to is Example.

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate all genres of music. All music is awesome.

If only you'd seen my iTunes... I go from Belle & Sebastian through to Cradle Of Filth, taking in all points and genres in between. ;)

Only dance I ever listened to was Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim and The Chemical Brothers. I prefer rock music like the Doors I like them so much I have the lead singer tattooed on my chest, other than classic rock I love Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Monster Magnet, Insane Clown Posse, Queens of the Stoneage anything rock-ish I suppose. My ipod is filled with all sorts though from Guns and Roses to Scissor Sisters.

I suppose the only modern dance type of music I listen to is Example.

Those first three rock bands all feature on my running playlist. The first, more than once... ;)

Those first three rock bands all feature on my running playlist. The first, more than once... ;)

Monster Magnet are brilliant.

I cannot understand how people could listen to one genre of music all the time variety is needed but everyone knows Johnny Cash is the man.

Monster Magnet are brilliant.

I cannot understand how people could listen to one genre of music all the time variety is needed but everyone knows Johnny Cash is the man.

Me either. Agreed on Cash. And 'Look To Your Orb' is probably one of my all time favourite songs, with 'Baby Gottendammerung' in the second tier

Melt, Temple of your dreams and Your lies become you are probably my favourites by them, they really should be more well known his voice is second to none for rock music.

Johnny Cash is great. He's one of a selection of artists/albums I give a listen to almost weekly. Particularly like A boy named Sue and Man in Black. :) The first one is funny as hell too!

Also listen to classic music every now and then, particularly the more calm and string oriented type. What I listen to depends on my mood really, but there are some types I just can't take, such as a lot or rap, electronica-/etc and over-whored out pop.

Johnny Cash is great. He's one of a selection of artists/albums I give a listen to almost weekly. Particularly like A boy named Sue and Man in Black. :) The first one is funny as hell too!

Also listen to classic music every now and then, particularly the more calm and string oriented type. What I listen to depends on my mood really, but there are some types I just can't take, such as a lot or rap, electronica-/etc and over-whored out pop.

One of the best songs ever written. I listen to a bit of rap used to like lots of rap but that was years a go, only rap I listen to is ICP and most bands on their label.

AB yes, it's hardcore trance. Anything with a high tempo is great to do exercise to and trance zones me out.

i generally go through phases of listening to the same band last few weeks it was Korn with the new album (massive korn fan and id sell my kidney to go see em live!)

at the minute im listening to alot of Godsmack and Five Finger Death Punch

Anyone heard of a game called Kingdoms of Amalur out this week, looks pretty good but not sure how open world it is.

I already have a few games that use an online pass so that doesn't worry me if it's a good game.

I don't like it from principle. Anything that is designed to stop used games and not piracy is plain stupid.

I agree it is stupid and it does annoy me but I couldn't not buy Uncharted 3 or Saints Row 3.

I don't own either :3 I also really dislike EA, they ruined the Crysis franchise by forcing stupid deadlines on the studio.

I just completed Homefront having sat down to play it twice. Would not recommend unless it's cheap. A 5-hour single-player campaign just isn't good enough. Plus it's just frustrating having recently played Gears of War 3 how unpolished the gameplay is. Totally ruins the immersion when you're cursing the game developer halfway through a mission because you couldn't crawl under an object because the other bint in your team was supposed to go through first.

I don't like it from principle. Anything that is designed to stop used games and not piracy is plain stupid.

Also one of the many reasons steam can suck my knob.

Don't like Evil Arts either. They have ruined so many games now it's not even funny. So sad to see what a company they are now compared with when they started out, and what they tried to achieve then. Also sad to see what BioWare has become.

Steam I can cope with, I only buy games on sale so I can't complain and it offers a social aspect too. Also the make Half Life :D

On the music front, in all seriousness I love a bit of Disney, they have some classic songs that I listen to whilst playing FIFA :D

Apart from that, I listen to all sorts of things although I don't own much music.

Disney have made some absolute classics! I love a bit of Mozart or Bach whilst I'm working as well. Rachmaninov is utterly brilliant for piano concertos.

I go for a lot of film scores. Inception, LOTR, Blade Runner, Batman, The Crow etc

Hans Zimmer has great scores, even for rubbish like the Live-action Thunderbirds.

Hans Zimmer has great scores, even for rubbish like the Live-action Thunderbirds.

WHAT?! :lol:

WHAT?! :lol:

It was mostly in name, and officially disowned by the Andersons, for the most part an attempt at doing something like spy kids, with kid/teen heroes, and most of the Tracy brothers having pretty small roles, though they did have quite a few things faithful to or as a homage to the series, so it wasn't quite as bad as 'Thunderbirds brand added as an afterthought'. The 2 good things are the score, and that the CGI thunderbird craft are as awesome as they're supposed to be.

Oh that film! Sorry when you say "live-action" I think of Larping, and Larped Thunderbirds would be absolutely ridiculous.

Disney have made some absolute classics! I love a bit of Mozart or Bach whilst I'm working as well. Rachmaninov is utterly brilliant for piano concertos.

I used to be primarily into indie music when I was younger but these days I listen almost exclusively to classical music with my favourite composer being Gustav Mahler.

Anyone heard of a game called Kingdoms of Amalur out this week, looks pretty good but not sure how open world it is.

I stumbled upon a video of that game AB. Here it is:

I don't really like third person view. I much prefer first person.

I used to be primarily into indie music when I was younger but these days I listen almost exclusively to classical music with my favourite composer being Gustav Mahler.

I've not heard of him, I shall check him out! Any recommendation on where to start?

There seem to be just as many shambolically terrible as excellent indie bands, it's weird. Probably a product of the fact that there's not much room for innovation in the genre, so both the unimaginative and the innovative stick out like sore thumbs. That's why I listen to a lot of prog and classical music, there's loads of fantastic prog bands/musicians and classical composers doing really interesting stuff both now and in the past. In particular prog (including the djent sub-genre) is making a massive comeback with bands like Mastodon, Animals as Leaders, Tesseract, Periphery, Opeth, Meshuggah and Fall of Troy (until they split up) doing some absolutely mindblowing stuff.

I once saw Opeth do an acoustic set in Italy. Weird as ****, but SO good.

I love Opeth, but some of their fans are absolute mouth-breathers. Whenever you go to see them there's always the "hilarious" people who try to start "ironic" mosh-pits during the quieter/slower parts. Because noone has ever done that before. Although I saw a guy get a smack in the mouth for that last time I saw them so there's hope yet!

The best thing about their music is the dynamic range, which is just unbelievable, nothing outside of orchestral pieces even gets close. The fact that they do both ends of the spectrum just as brilliantly is an added bonus of course! Wonderfully talented musicians and songwriters.