dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,019 posts in this topic

How the hell do you get good quality pictures? I can't remember, I've been print screening then putting them into photobucket but they are way to small..
Photobucket resizes them to 1024 high or so. Therefore I make my screenshots that size

When about to upload pictures, click on the "Customize upload options". It's an annoyingly small link at the bottom of the page you get after clicking the green "Upload" button.

Choose the "Best possible quality (while staying under 1mb or less" option.

If everybody did this I think it would be easier to see a lot of the pictures in the various threads. Some are so small it's practically impossible to see attributes in player profiles, and even seeing the clubname in league tables is pretty hard (also due to the font colour used in FM12).

Like I've said before it's usually a good idea to take the screenshots while the screen is in its smallest size, ensuring better detail in the final pictures, particularly for pictures that will be used in-forum (because the forum automatically resizes them to 800 pixels width). But if Photobucket auto-resize everything to, say, 1024x800 it makes it pretty hard to see any of the necessary details in the pictures.

I'm on a smaller resolution which should actually make it easier to see the details in 1024 resolution pictures, but the text is so small I often just give up. It must be even worse on big resolution screens. Sad to say it, but I have basically given up trying to click on links in some threads because I can't make out the details in them anyway without putting my head through the laptop screen :(

I use a 1920x1080 display as standard and use half screen mode to take mine, I think they come out at a reasonable quality (or I hope they do) :D

I've started taking screenshots in windowed mode, and I think it makes them a lot more readable. I haven't changed anything with the upload options on Photobucket yet so I may have to have a play with those as well to improve them further. I think I may have to get a premium Photobucket account at some point, I've already filled up one free account and this one is getting there. Might just have to bite the bullet rather than opening a third!

Watching Thunderbirds and playing FM, could anything be better? Aside from my results on FM.

Aye, that's what I thought too. But they have limits on bandwidth I think. At least they did last time I checked (which is some time ago tbh).

What does everyone think about the creating of a thread were the community can post their most memorable matches? Something containing, for example, a record breaking victory, a crucial six-pointer or your most humiliating defeat.

We could put a few stipulations in, such as no meaningless friendlies, only one match per career per season etc, and the poster could upload a screenshot of the match overview and/or a highlights package. Maybe when it comes to 'FMCU Awards', we could then vote for the most exciting match, most humbling defeat etc.

If there's much interest, I'll get the thread set up :)

I don't know if I could cope with the shame of some of me defeats but sure :p Only way to find if it works is to try it!

I have often thought we should have a records thread just for people posting their career as well as a Hall of Shame for the worst records.

What does everyone think about the creating of a thread were the community can post their most memorable matches? Something containing, for example, a record breaking victory, a crucial six-pointer or your most humiliating defeat.

We could put a few stipulations in, such as no meaningless friendlies, only one match per career per season etc, and the poster could upload a screenshot of the match overview and/or a highlights package. Maybe when it comes to 'FMCU Awards', we could then vote for the most exciting match, most humbling defeat etc.

That would immortalize those immortal matches a lot more, so I like it. Maybe a limit of 5 or something for each career at a time (you can swap old one ones for new ones) so stop longer careers having so many to devalue them a bit.

Think both ideas are good (matches and records). I certainly have some humiliating defeats in Europe in mind after being ahead after the first leg :(

I think my Spartak Moscow sides collapse in the Champions League would be up there for "most humiliating defeat"(well...the 2nd leg would).

I'd never buy anything there if money goes to trained killers or their cause. It seems counterproductive somehow.

Also wonder why crusade is used in a positive context. It was rather bad you know.

I think you missed the point of their website Pangaea. It's my friends company who designs and makes their products here in the UK, thus promoting jobs here in the UK. Not sure if you know a lot about the textile industry but a lot of companies such as Fred Perry, etc have their garments produced abroad meaning cheap labour.

As for the term "join the crusade" used in a positive context. It's used that way to encorage people to join the crusade in bringing the textile industry back to the UK and saying no to cheap labour abroad, not in reference to Richard the Lionhearts actual crusade, which I did know was "rather bad" ;):)

I like the idea. I think other threads that have popped up such as the quiz thread and the FMCU dream team thread have helped to build up the community here in FMCU and I think a records thread could also create that :thup:.

Yep, I know about sweatshops with basically slave labour. It's a lot of crap. Textile industry is more or less gone here too. Easy technology requires little knowledge, so they move it to low-cost countries with (virtually) non-existent workers' rights. I just don't like nationalist lingo, that's all, and especially "army waging war on the other side of the planet are heroes" crap. Just a selling point I suppose, but there you go :)

In general I think it would be good with more threads here that aren't specially stories/updates. More discussion threads and such wouldn't go amiss.

I like the idea. I think other threads that have popped up such as the quiz thread and the FMCU dream team thread have helped to build up the community here in FMCU and I think a records thread could also create that :thup:.

I agree this place is growing and I think a records thread would be great fun.

Seeming as the general consensus is positive, I'll get the new thread up and running at some point over the weekend.

Maybe call it 'Magic Moments'*, or something like that, then people can post about both their record-breaking results as well as other important events/matches.

*open to better suggestions on the name front! :)

I think we should have separate threads one for records and one for important and exciting matches.

*open to better suggestions on the name front! :)

That's a relief ;)

Ok, we'll go for two threads then. One to post records, like a Hall of Fame with best/worst results etc, the other for special matches and other momentous events.

Ok, we'll go for two threads then. One to post records, like a Hall of Fame with best/worst results etc, the other for special matches and other momentous events.

I've always quite liked the LLM forum style. They have one thread for positive stuff and one for negative. I haven't been on there for ages so I'm not sure if they still do it. It was something like 'what's keeping me going on FM12' and then I forget what the negative version is called.

I'd like to see two of those types of threads. Then you could have comments and/or images with best results, embarrassing results, terrible occurrences in your save or momentous stuff and so on.

I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm all in favour of more communal threads in here :thup:

A rant thread. Now that would be excellent! :D

If this place had a facebook like button I would like this post.

Rant threads are nice. Plus this community is sufficiently mature enough to rant on about something and not be taken seriously.

A rant thread. Now that would be excellent! :D

:thup: rancer890 likes this.

I would have ranted about my crash dump but I won a game I previously lost :D

I've created two new threads so far.

This one for ranting in- http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/297464-The-FMCU-Venting-Your-Spleen-Thread

A nd this one as the Hall of Fame- http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/297468-FMCU-s-Hall-of-Fame-(and-Shame!)

I may still create another one, for special/iconic events, but will see how we get on with these two first. Any comments/feedback welcome :)

I've always quite liked the LLM forum style. They have one thread for positive stuff and one for negative. I haven't been on there for ages so I'm not sure if they still do it. It was something like 'what's keeping me going on FM12' and then I forget what the negative version is called.

I'd like to see two of those types of threads. Then you could have comments and/or images with best results, embarrassing results, terrible occurrences in your save or momentous stuff and so on.

What gets my goat if I remember correctly.

Anybody order off Amazon?

They're doing a free months trial for that Amazon Prime, basically you get Express Delivery for free. Just ordered a HD PVR and they expect me to get it Monday (1 working day). Obviously you have to turn auto-renewal off because it's £49 for the year but seems like a good trial. Just thought I'd let you know.

What is Amazon Prime? Is this for UK only?

Rarely use Amazon, much prefer BookDepository when ordering books, but I've noticed that Free Delivery and such only applies to UK addresses.

Anybody order off Amazon?

They're doing a free months trial for that Amazon Prime, basically you get Express Delivery for free. Just ordered a HD PVR and they expect me to get it Monday (1 working day). Obviously you have to turn auto-renewal off because it's £49 for the year but seems like a good trial. Just thought I'd let you know.

Already used it. It's excellent, but I don't buy enough to pay £49

Almost joined Amazon Prime because you also get unlimited, one-at-a-time Kindle rentals (books, not the Kindle itself). So, if that were true, it would be a no-brainer for me. BUT, the range of books you can rent via your Prime membership is really small--a few thousand titles, with some rotation over time.

But it is an added benefit if you're wavering on it.

It will never be worth the £49 in my eyes. You generally get it within a week so paying £49 to get it the next day is a bit im-patient but each to their own.

I'll enjoy the free trial and probably get some games I've considered getting in the past to make the most of it but I wont be paying £49 a year for it.

Pangaea - I'm not to sure if it's for UK only, I think you can use it elsewhere but it's not a guaranteed day delivery.

On the Kindle, I can't see how they are 'enjoyable' as such, I personally prefer to hold a book, I can see if you read books quickly then obviously it's a great idea but I don't think I'd enjoy a kindle, personally.

Ok I work on the other side of this. Everything sent out by Amazon itself is sent on a 24 hour delivery, nothing can be sped up on the delivery front. The only thing that can be sped up is the dispatch and that doesn't happen very often.

It isn't worth it unless you are a business.

Pangaea - I'm not to sure if it's for UK only, I think you can use it elsewhere but it's not a guaranteed day delivery.

On the Kindle, I can't see how they are 'enjoyable' as such, I personally prefer to hold a book, I can see if you read books quickly then obviously it's a great idea but I don't think I'd enjoy a kindle, personally.

Agree with that, I much prefer to have a physical book in my hand and flick through the pages. Sitting with pdfs, ipad or kindle or whatever else isn't the same.

Agree with that, I much prefer to have a physical book in my hand and flick through the pages. Sitting with pdfs, ipad or kindle or whatever else isn't the same.

I disagree, I don't think you can really judge until you've read a whole book on it. I bought a Kindle to use for reference books (engineering text-books are bloody massive) and ended up reading novels and periodicals on it as well, and it's absolutely no different to settling down with a book once the novelty of it has worn off. Fantastic device. I still read from actual books as well of course, but they really are interchangeable for me now.

I definitely would not like to read a book off an iPad/laptop though, it'd be like staring at a lightbulb with a book printed on it for hours. The e-ink display really makes an almighty difference, it's like reading from a printed page.

I read books off my iPhone, simply as having an actual book is impractical.

There's a certain sensory experience with a proper book though.

I prefer a proper book, doubt I would ever read something from a kindle or any other device like that.

There's a certain sensory experience with a proper book though.

Don't disagree in the slightest. As a comic book aficionado, I love the feeling of a book. But, at work, reading a book is not allowed, however, I can read on my phone.

Oh God. I've just discovered enchanting weapons on Skyrim... Goodnight 2012.

I read books off my iPhone, simply as having an actual book is impractical.

what app is that?

Of those people saying they wouldn't read a book on a Kindle, who actually has done out of interest? Honestly, when you're engrossed in a great story the precise nature of the medium just does not even come into the equation.