dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,016 posts in this topic

Seems to be quite a few people who know about games in here. Anyone know a good game similar to Masters of Orion?

Not tried that game, but if you like roleplaying games then there is one, and only one, champion: Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (with expansions). Okay, so that's four :D

If you haven't tried them you ought to. I have not really played BG2 yet, only a little in the start, but Baldur's Gate 1 is probably my best ever gaming experience, even if I played it a couple of years ago and the games came out a decade ago.

Of newer RPGs, The Witcher is great too, and right up there with my best gaming experiences. Not tried Witcher 2 as my PC can't handle it, but I've heard the overall experience of Witcher 1 was better.

I also loved Mafia. Fantastic story! When the credits rolled I was sat back in my chair with wet eyes. Great stuff.

(Not tried Mafia 2 as my PC can't handle it, but I've heard it's pretty weak compared with Mafia).

Thought the story of Mass Effect was brilliant too. Such a fantastic story and universe (in more than one way), so was really disappointed when they botched it all up in Mass Effect 2 and turned it into a shooter. Know many still like it, but I hated what they did to it.

In those four games are probably my best ever gaming experiences outside of FM (and at least some top FM, although I put much more time into FM).

Also honourable mention of the 10 year anniversary edition of Settlers 2. Wonderful game to just tick away at and watch those wee fellas do their thing. Bioshock 1 was also really good, if only for the original story and gameplay. Not tried 2, but I've heard it's much the same.

I won Witcher just before Christmas and am still yet to play it but from what i here it's a hell of a game!

Don't think it's wise for me to get into that debate because this thread will quickly turn into a yes or no to Steam and then SI might bust in here and close the thread for discussing Steam in anything but the most euphoric of terms.

When it comes to digital distribution, however, I much prefer GOG.com. You won't find Skyrim there, but they have a lot of great games and will apparently start to release newer games now (but not totally new). Love their philosophy ahead of Steam's any day of the year. Then there is of course the added bonus of no DRM and no container app to muck up things.

The DRM especially is what irks me - Not just Steam but in general. One reason why I will never purchase another Ubisoft game as long as I live (even though they claim to have disabled it all).

I found Mass Effect to be one of the most boring games I have ever played. It started off well enough and the story interested me but it just kept using the same thing over and over again fly to a planet drop down in the stupid buggy thing, drive somewhere and then get out and shoot something. I gave up after about 5 or 6 hours.

Anyone played the Fable games? I have not played them as I get t he impression they are linear and not open world.

I absolutely loved Fable at the time it came out, I had it on the original Xbox. Fable 2 I enjoyed as well although felt it was slightly weaker than the original. Fable 3 sounded ridiculous, so I didn't buy it.

So four of the five books in my first Amazon order have been dispatched. Guess which one hasn't? That's right, Inverting the Pyramid, the one I was planning on reading first. :thdn:

I adore Fable. All of them. Skyrim is awesome. The end.

I've not read many, in fact any, proper football books as such. Depending on if you count Autobiographies? Neil Warnock, Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and I was half way through Mottys before I got into reading Blades Days Out which I stopped reading when I got Ant and Dec's autobiographies which I may stop reading to read Gary Linekers account on the 2010 World Cup (Still Dreaming). I will have to sort out which ones I should read and when, they are all great books and will definitely get round to reading them.

On the games side of things, I have FIFA and FM that my time is spent on although I do like F1, yet to get this seasons, might wait a year then get it on the cheap. I'd also love to get into more role playing or shooter games. I've had a few COD's before but got rid of them, however I am tempted to go back and get one of the newer ones. I'll probably have a browse at some point and buy one or two if I can get a good deal. Although they wont be through Steam, I'm just not a fan of games on the computer unless it's Football Manager, Xbox all the way. Then again, the odd ones like Rollercoaster Tycoon which you can't get on Xbox 360 are brilliant fun on the computer!

I found Mass Effect to be one of the most boring games I have ever played. It started off well enough and the story interested me but it just kept using the same thing over and over again fly to a planet drop down in the stupid buggy thing, drive somewhere and then get out and shoot something. I gave up after about 5 or 6 hours.

Anyone played the Fable games? I have not played them as I get t he impression they are linear and not open world.

Those were the negatives about the game. But other than that I found it an excellent game. I didn't like that ME2 sort of turned into a full-blood shooter with some dialogue now and then, but ME1 had more RPG elements, which is what I liked about it -- in addition to the excellent story. Also had a bit of a crush on that blue alien, Liara I think she was called, which I guess doesn't hurt :D

Here is an analysis of Mass Effect 2 that is both an interesting and funny read, describing some of the main plot holes and down-right annoyances with the design.Of course, don't read if you haven't played the game as there are spoilers galore!!

There were parts of ME2 I liked too, but overall that game showed more than anything else that Bioware went after the shooter market, and IMO their games since have been worse for it. At least for me who like roleplaying games more than "shoot everything that moves" games.

I read the next DragonAge game could be open world, this would be brilliant. To be honest the freedom you get to explore in the Fallout games and Elderscrolls as well as GTA to an extent make it hard for me to play other games. I love the Uncharted series and have the third one ready to play once I am done with Skyrim. I don't get much chance to play any other games on the PC mainly because when I am on the PC the missus is watching TV while we chat so I don't have any sound on.

I bought a Sims game for xmas for the missus but the CD drive won't read it so I am stuck with a game that doesn't work. I wish we had a legal option to download a game once we had bought the physical copy. Also got an older game that will not work with 64-bit windows which is just as annoying.

The blue alien was pretty nice from what I remember.

The DRM especially is what irks me - Not just Steam but in general. One reason why I will never purchase another Ubisoft game as long as I live (even though they claim to have disabled it all).

The DRM irks me a lot too, which is why I prefer GOG over Steam. Completely DRM free and no container application to restrict access and watch what's on your computer. That's not a Steam-only thing of course, as mentioned above somewhere Ubisoft is a devil on that, and EA isn't much better either.

What I like with some of the old classic games is that unlike today when there is such an emphasis on great graphics in games, often compromising other aspects of the games, back in the day there was more emphasis on proper game design with good stories and interaction. Although the graphics won't blow you away in Baldur's Gate or Planetscape Torment, the games themselves are incredibly enjoyable.

Not played it yet, but Skyrim is probably an exception to this as there is a lot of emphasis on other aspects too.

It is worth point out the two games you mention were developed by Bioware.

I just wish there was a game like Civilisation but in space.

I just wish there was a game like Civilisation but in space.

Alpha Centauri 2 if it was ever made?

That's good for a 5-minute job! Perhaps make it circular or shield shaped like a club badge?

FMCU2-1.png

Any comments welcome :)

Alpha Centauri 2 if it was ever made?

The results on Google say it was never made.

The results on Google say it was never made.

I know.

I mean if it ever gets made.

Bioware also did Jade Empire on the old Xbox.. It was one of the best and most beautiful games I ever played. Definitely in my top 10 games ever,

I've started logging onto the group's chat every time I'm on now. Bloody Steam! :p

I am not used to having people on my steam turn my PC on in the morning go out to get breakfast come back and have a message it looks like I ignored for an hour lol.

I am not used to having people on my steam turn my PC on in the morning go out to get breakfast come back and have a message it looks like I ignored for an hour lol.

I know how that feels :D. What's this group then?

Should be able to see it through my profile.

It is worth point out the two games you mention were developed by Bioware.

Oh yes, I know that. Or rather it was a sub-company or some such thing of Bioware, Black Isle Studios. They made the most excellent games back then. But the Bioware that existed then doesn't exist any more. They still make good games of course, but very different games with a different focus aiming for a different segment of the market.

To throw in a little FM again, figured I'd post this here too as it would probably get lost in my career thread. Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I just figured it out today :D

I've just been struggling with this on FM10, and got there in the end! :)

Don't know if it works for FM12, but hopefully it does. It was actually quite simple. I kept looking at files to locate the national pool (unsuccessfully), but it could be done within the game.

I hired some coaches to the national team and sent them out scouting the top leagues and such, and requested match reports on everybody in the national pool. Then I made a new custom view in the national pool, where I added scout opinion of current and potential ability. I've just gotten a few match reports so far, but it certainly seems to work :thup:

This is what it looks like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]0[/ATTACH]National-pool.png

That's a nice idea Pangaea :thup:

Great job with the logo HC, I really like it! If it looks half as good on Steam we're on to a winner :)

Speaking of retro gaming, I was playing this a while ago. It was actually quite nice to go back to "navigate the level, find the keys, kill the boss" in a way.

I've joined the group for FMCU!

For the logo, how about a background of loads of different screenshots from everyone's games dotted with some trophies around the place, then a 3D font saying FMCU. :D

FMCU2-1.png

Any comments welcome :)

Very good HotChocolate. I've added it! :)

To throw in a little FM again, figured I'd post this here too as it would probably get lost in my career thread. Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I just figured it out today

Yes, I figured this one out too on FM10. I also added the columns into the squad screen. Very helpful! :thup:

Gah first time I'm on Steam and FMing since adding a few FMCU'ers and the chat servers are down for maintenance!

Cheers SnakeXe and crouchaldinho :thup:

hursty2, I'll get working on your idea! Not quite sure how to implement it but I'll have a look! :)

Irony huh? Maybe you should come on more ;)

£150 spent in a month and you're saying I should come on MORE?!

:p

Just had an idea after talking to B.W.G about quizzes, if I get enough interest I could start a 'weekly' quiz on here?

• 10 Weeks long
  • 10 Questions per week
  • Football based questions or general knowledge questions?
  • League table, a point for every correct answer...
  • As many people can join at the start

You get the idea. So yeah, would it be alright to start a new thread for the quiz? Get some interest going? :)

I like the idea! Perhaps have 5 football questions and then 5 random general knowledge?

Maybe have the winner of each round decide the new questions. Or someone would have to sit out permanently.

5 football and 5 random general knowledge is a good idea and the winner each week gets to decide the new questions.So just mix SnakeXe and Nottingham Forest ideas.

I like the idea! Perhaps have 5 football questions and then 5 random general knowledge?

That sounds good! :thup:

Maybe have the winner of each round decide the new questions. Or someone would have to sit out permanently.

I really don't mind sitting out permanently, it would benefit the league as then everyone would answer the same amount of questions.

5 football and 5 random general knowledge is a good idea and the winner each week gets to decide the new questions.So just mix SnakeXe and Nottingham Forest ideas.

I'll work it all out tomorrow and get the thread up and running! :D

We will try and get as many people interested as possible! Seen as there is no limit!

And a bonus question about something in a thread written by last week's winner ...

I can see me getting 5/10 every week :D Good job I know nothing about that sport with the white and black chequered thing

Couldn't people just cheat and google the answers?

They could AB so either we have to do it "live" or we just have to trust people

Imagine it would be difficult to do live due to peoples other commitments. I works shifts and usually only around when other people are at work or tucked up in bed. Would have thought we could trust each other not to be using google. Sad state of affairs if someone feels the need to cheat to win a quiz thats just for fun.

Imagine it would be difficult to do live due to peoples other commitments. I works shifts and usually only around when other people are at work or tucked up in bed. Would have thought we could trust each other not to be using google. Sad state of affairs if someone feels the need to cheat to win a quiz thats just for fun.

It would indeed be a very sad state of affairs but it could happen. I won't be taking part but it will be fun to see who is the winner.

Who said this is fun, THIS IS SPARTA! (Sorry :p)

If this place had a like button I would use it for this post.

I'm with you. I work nights so my shifts are off with usual timings

It would be to hard to do it live almost impossible, whereas if I give everyone a week to get their answers to me then it will be fine.

On the 'cheating' aspect, technically they could do it even 'live' but other wise, it's just a quiz for pure fun, nothing more, you wont win anything (apart from having that great feeling, which you wont get if you cheat your way to victory) so yes, it would be a very sad state of affairs if someone did cheat as AcidBurn and ShyBaldBuddhist said.

For the layout, I will do 5 General knowledge questions and 5 (football or general sport? I personally think general sport would be better, more variety, but I will go with the majority). I will take Makonnen's great idea of a bonus question every week from the winners thread (the first week will be from my thread and if we get nearly the same winner every week I'll go to the runner up). You can look at there thread for the answer, but I will NOT make it easy at all. But, obviously, you can't look for any other answers and you can't ask the person who writes the thread for the answer.

The questions them self will range from easy to hard, I'll make them as general as possible and as fair as possible. Looking to get this thread up and running tonight, will put ShyBaldBuddhist's name down and anyone else that definitely wants to join in.

Looking forward to this! :D