dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,949 posts in this topic

I've added the group too :D.

Why don't you pick a club close to your heart DazRTaylor and see how far you can take them...a one club kind of save?

The search function seems to be a bit dodgy because I tried searching for you crouchy but it couldn't find you. Accepted your friend request now though

I think I've added pretty much everyone in the group. Are we going to use the chat function?

Ugh. Steam talk. The reason I don't own FM12 (and by the looks of things, never a future FM either) :(

Daz, are you getting tired of your career game?

I always have great fun building up a complete nobody side and see where I can take them, but that isn't for everybody. Most seem to enjoy the more typical career paths, where you move on every few years. The great thing about trying to take a small club upwards and onwards, for me, is that it usually takes a long time before you get anywhere, so there are many small targets you can have along the way.

Then again, maybe you play FM a bit like I do. Massive playing for weeks or even months on end, then I get completely fed up and need a few months off. If you're in a period like that there is probably only one thing to do; take a break.

Or I suppose you can start a new game somewhere you have never played before. Learning a new league can be fun. Most of us are probably based in Europe, so trying a game somewhere else might re-kindle the love.

On downloaded files, there is only one file I will ever try and that is the England down to level 8 by uncle ron. I've not tried it for FM12 for the above reason, but it works like a charm for FM10, and given uncle ron has worked on it for 3 versions now I'm sure it is just as stable on FM12. It's a great file, and bringing up a club from that level is fun. Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it before.

I'll try and design a profile picture for the group, that's my area, my only area in fact! Does it have to be a certain size? Pixel wise.

My profile name is HotChocolate, I'll try and get people added now. Will join the group as well.

I wouldn't mind being an administrator either, if that's okay of course.

Sounds good. I'm in the group chat all night if anyone's bored

Sounds good. I'm in the group chat all night if anyone's bored

I'd love to, but I'm not bored: Watching Best of Glastonbury 2011, Beyonce's just come on, sorted ;)

Sounds like its all going well :) Steam chat isn't that bad, there are far worse things that have been invented (I am looking and you MSN)

Just joined the Steam group, my name on there is Mr Derp, anyone who wants to inanely ramble at me on chat or have me inanely ramble at you feel free to add me to your friends list!

Going back to the books discussion, I didn't get any football books for Xmas (although what I did get was all excellent, so big :thup: my friends and family), but I did get the Steve Jobs biography which is an interesting read thus far. Whatever your loyalties regarding Apple/PC/whatever, he's had a very interesting life and you also get a feel for the development of the industry through the book. It's also certainly not blindly reverential, which could easily have happened with a weaker author, so I'd definitely recommend it.

I did, however, get my next maintenance grant from the lovely chaps at the EPSRC on 30th December so I'll be heading over to Amazon to order Inverting, Calcio, and Wilson's Clough book right now! :D Probably shouldn't go any further than that yet, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard at the moment so that lot will definitely keep me going. Plus I'm only halfway through Keith Richards' book as well which I started last Xmas - I'm usually pretty prolific at reading!

As for FM I've not played a lot recently as I've gotten into Skyrim. Also getting a bit bored with Arsenal to be honest so might have to make a move at the end of the season to freshen things up, despite my intention to fulfill my contract.

Keith Richards. Now there's a book I'd like to read. Apparently the book has P-ed off Jagger something unreal. Shame if they don't play again, but there must be some interesting stuff in there. How those people are still alive is a mystery.

I'm pretty sure he's somehow mummified/pickled himself whilst retaining motor function.

Ugh. Steam talk. The reason I don't own FM12 (and by the looks of things, never a future FM either) :(

I used to be the same about Steam, Pangaea, but I don't mind it now.

When I installed FM09 using it, I had a bad experience and wouldn't touch it again for a while. But last year, I tried putting FM10 on it when I got my new computer, and found the experience was quite different to the first time I had used it.

There are a few things I quite like about it now, to be honest. Maybe you'll come around eventually?

I'll try and design a profile picture for the group, that's my area, my only area in fact! Does it have to be a certain size? Pixel wise.

My profile name is HotChocolate, I'll try and get people added now. Will join the group as well.

I wouldn't mind being an administrator either, if that's okay of course.

Nice one HotChocolate. Post the image up here so we can check it out. :thup:

Just joined the Steam group, my name on there is Mr Derp, anyone who wants to inanely ramble at me on chat or have me inanely ramble at you feel free to add me to your friends list!

Mr Derp. :D

I did, however, get my next maintenance grant from the lovely chaps at the EPSRC on 30th December so I'll be heading over to Amazon to order Inverting, Calcio, and Wilson's Clough book right now! Probably shouldn't go any further than that yet, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard at the moment so that lot will definitely keep me going.

Yes, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard too. BTW, great choice in the three books you are going to order! :thup:

As for FM I've not played a lot recently as I've gotten into Skyrim. Also getting a bit bored with Arsenal to be honest so might have to make a move at the end of the season to freshen things up, despite my intention to fulfill my contract.
Skyrim, your degrees worst enemy

I thought that was FM? :p

How is Skyrim? I'll probably wait until it comes down in price at some point in the distant future. I'd like to try it though.

Right now, I want to get some more FM time on FM12 under my belt. I have a real desire to play right now and have been thinking of tactics etc.! :)

I used to be the same about Steam, Pangaea, but I don't mind it now.

When I installed FM09 using it, I had a bad experience and wouldn't touch it again for a while. But last year, I tried putting FM10 on it when I got my new computer, and found the experience was quite different to the first time I had used it.

There are a few things I quite like about it now, to be honest. Maybe you'll come around eventually?

Zero chance of that I think. Steam is way too much of a drag to have installed on my computer, and I hate the thought behind it and implementation of it. And what it does to the gaming industry. But as long as I'm enjoying FM10 I'm quite fine with not buying future FM games. Hopefully SI change their stance at some point in the future though.

How is Skyrim? I'll probably wait until it comes down in price at some point in the distant future. I'd like to try it though.

Right now, I want to get some more FM time on FM12 under my belt. I have a real desire to play right now and have been thinking of tactics etc.! :)

Skyrim is just about the best console game I have ever played, totally brilliant but not without it's faults.

Mr Derp. :D

Also my Xbox Live name! And a bit of a nickname with one group of friends.

Yes, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard too. BTW, great choice in the three books you are going to order! :thup:

Well I've heard good reviews on all of them, from people on here as well as others I've spoken to. I have a feeling I may have gone a bit OTT though:

Items Ordered Price 1 of: The Miracle of Castel di Sangro [Paperback] 
By: Joe McGinniss
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£9.41
- 1 item(s) Gift options: None  
 1 of: Brian Clough: Nobody Ever Says Thank You: The Biography [Hardcover] 
By: Jonathan Wilson
£8.00
 1 of: Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics: A History of Football Tactics [Paperback] 
£5.66
 1 of: A Season With Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusions, National Character and Goals [Paperback] 
By: Tim Parks
£5.49
 1 of: Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football [Paperback] 
£5.73

:D

I thought that was FM?

I'm really enjoying it, I know you're not much of a gamer other than Minecraft and FM but I think you would probably enjoy it as well!

For PC the menu system is clunky (its based around a console so it's as good as it could be) but it's good. I nabbed it in the sale for £24 which is a bargain! If you want to see if you like the style get Oblivion, slightly better menu system (once you understand it!) and similar gameplay

Zero chance of that I think. Steam is way too much of a drag to have installed on my computer, and I hate the thought behind it and implementation of it. And what it does to the gaming industry. But as long as I'm enjoying FM10 I'm quite fine with not buying future FM games. Hopefully SI change their stance at some point in the future though.

What it does to the gaming industry in terms of what?

It used to be quite rubbish but now it's a very well implemented IMO. Probably the best digital download based shop I've used (although I've admittedly not used many), the Xmas sale they just had has massively bulked out my PC game collection, and they're good (as far as I know) for indie developers in terms of offering a relatively cheap distribution platform. Also fewer physical copies of games is better for the environment of course.

Skyrim is just about the best console game I have ever played, totally brilliant but not without it's faults.

You got it on console? I've heard there's a few bugs that the PC version doesn't suffer from. With a game like that (same with the Fallout games for instance) I also like to get the PC version in order to have access to the command console to get around any bugs, and to be able to use third party mods if I want.

For PC the menu system is clunky (its based around a console so it's as good as it could be) but it's good. I nabbed it in the sale for £24 which is a bargain! If you want to see if you like the style get Oblivion, slightly better menu system (once you understand it!) and similar gameplay

For me it's the opposite, Oblivion's menu system confused the hell out of me (no tooltips for buttons with obscure logos which all look quite similar?!). I also got it on sale.

Us :cool:

You got it on console? I've heard there's a few bugs that the PC version doesn't suffer from. With a game like that (same with the Fallout games for instance) I also like to get the PC version in order to have access to the command console to get around any bugs, and to be able to use third party mods if I want.

I got it on the ps3 first but the frame rate issues stopped me playing it after 50 hours. My mate works at a video game store and gets money off games so I traded it in and got him to buy it on the 360 for me. I have played for 60 hours and there has only been one bug with a daedric shrine mission not starting up apart from that I have not encountered a single bug that stops me playing.

The in game map is awful on Skyrim, I prefer the Oblivion map easier to see where you are going and how to get there.

The in game map is awful on Skyrim, I prefer the Oblivion map easier to see where you are going and how to get there.

Again I find the complete opposite! Completely didn't understand the Oblivion map, whereas the Skyrim map is fine for me.

Good to hear it works well on the 360, one of my friends has it on that and was worried he was gunna run into trouble.

Well I've heard good reviews on all of them, from people on here as well as others I've spoken to. I have a feeling I may have gone a bit OTT though

Great choices though. I mean, you are going to love every one of those books. They would all make my top 10 football books of all time, I think, although I haven't read the Clough book yet!

But did you miss off Calcio by accident? I thought you were ordering that one?

I'm really enjoying it, I know you're not much of a gamer other than Minecraft and FM but I think you would probably enjoy it as well!

I'll wait until it gets cheaper and then give it a go. My mission now is to get into an FM12 save, so that's going to be my main time sink for now. I don't need another one atm! :D

Great choices though. I mean, you are going to love every one of those books. They would all make my top 10 football books of all time, I think, although I haven't read the Clough book yet!

But did you miss off Calcio by accident? I thought you were ordering that one?

Good spot, I thought there was something missing! I even found it, thought I'd added it to the cart but obviously didn't. Here we go:

Items Ordered Price 1 of: Calcio: A History of Italian Football [Paperback] 
By: John Foot
£6.99

I'll wait until it gets cheaper and then give it a go. My mission now is to get into an FM12 save, so that's going to be my main time sink for now. I don't need another one atm! :D

Sounds like a good plan, the forum's been missing a good crouchy thread!

Yeah, will probably try that first. But for now, FM and Minecraft is enough of a time sink, plus I bought a bunch of cheap games in the Steam sales. :D

It used to be quite rubbish but now it's a very well implemented IMO. Probably the best digital download based shop I've used (although I've admittedly not used many), the Xmas sale they just had has massively bulked out my PC game collection, and they're good (as far as I know) for indie developers in terms of offering a relatively cheap distribution platform. Also fewer physical copies of games is better for the environment of course.

I have to agree with this. My opinion massively improved when I tried it again more recently after my bad experience with FM09 on Steam.

I don't really know all of the counter arguments against Steam, although I know I originally found it invasive, annoying and resented having to install it. These days, however, it seems much better and I actually like having my games categorised on there, plus the ease of downloading patches etc. I've become a fan, especially since picking up a number of very cheap bargains in the Steam sale. :D

I'm a PC gamer fwiw. I'm not into consoles at all. Much prefer playing on a PC.

SnakeXe, I notice the Steam sale also bulked out your PC games collection. Same here! What bargains did you get in the sale?

I have to agree with this. My opinion massively improved when I tried it again more recently after my bad experience with FM09 on Steam.

I don't really know all of the counter arguments against Steam, although I know I originally found it invasive, annoying and resented having to install it. These days, however, it seems much better and I actually like having my games categorised on there, plus the ease of downloading patches etc. I've become a fan, especially since picking up a number of very cheap bargains in the Steam sale. :D

I'm a PC gamer fwiw. I'm not into consoles at all. Much prefer playing on a PC.

SnakeXe, I notice the Steam sale also bulked out your PC games collection. Same here! What bargains did you get in the sale?

I went a bit crazy:

Bastion

Bioshock 1 and 2

Dead Space 1 and 2

Demolition Inc.

Duke Nukem Forever :cool:

Fallout 3 (+ all DLC)

Fallout: New Vegas (+ all DLC)

From Dust

Frozen Synapse

Green Corp

Heroes V Pack

Homefront

id Software Pack (inc. all Doom and Quake games plus Rage and a few others)

Lego Batman

Limbo

Mass Effect 1 and 2

Portal 2

Prototype

Red Alert 3

Skyrim

Super Meat Boy

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Tomb Raider Pack (inc. Legend, Underworld, Anniversary and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light)

I think apart from Skyrim and the id Pack they were all under £5.

Skyrim, and the two Fallout games alone will probably last me all year! Don't know what I was thinking (that's a lie actually, I was thinking "Wow I'm getting all these games I've wanted for ages for basically nothing"), but I've vowed to myself I won't buy another game other than FM13 until I've played all of them to completion or as good as.

I smiled when I saw your list SnakeXe because I did pretty much the exact same thing. I have also vowed not to buy another game now until either the next FM or the next Steam Xmas sale! :D

My list is of a very similar size and went something like this:

And Yet it Moves

Back to the Future

Bastion

Garry's mod

LIMBO

Machinarium

Portal

Portal 2

Sherlock Holmes collection

SimCity 4 Deluxe

Solar 2

Sonic Generations

Super Meat Boy

Train Simulator

Universe Sandbox

As you can see, I'm mostly into strategy, simulation, puzzle and sandbox types of games.

I'm pleased with most of these although I know that I went a bit crazy. I got a few more £2ish games that I can't recall now. Everything I got was extremely cheap though. :D

I think the Portal bundle was my best deal (although I was surprised by the quality of some of the very cheap indie games I got). I completed the original Portal just the other day, which I wanted to play before starting the new one. I thoroughly enjoyed it and more than I thought I would so I'm really looking forward to playing Portal 2 now.

The most mental game that I bought in the sale was Train Simulator, which I have no idea why or even how I bought it! It's fair to say that I had a fair bit to drink on the night when it was on sale and woke up with it and the Back to the Future game on my Steam account! :D

Haha I was slightly tempted by Train Simulator I have to say! I used to love steam locomotives when I was younger, and my Grandad was a big fanatic - one year his birthday present was to drive one, which he absolutely loved.

Bizarrely considering I bought so many I don't think a single one of those was just bought on a whim, I'd either seen a good review, heard good things from friends, or (in the case of Duke Nukem, because noone gave that a good review) just wanted them for a while.

Haha I was slightly tempted by Train Simulator I have to say! I used to love steam locomotives when I was younger, and my Grandad was a big fanatic - one year his birthday present was to drive one, which he absolutely loved.

I'll let you know what it's like when I get around to trying it! :D

Bizarrely considering I bought so many I don't think a single one of those was just bought on a whim, I'd either seen a good review, heard good things from friends, or (in the case of Duke Nukem, because noone gave that a good review) just wanted them for a while.

Train simulator was the only thing I bought on a (drunken) whim. The rest, I either played a demo, read a review, or watched a YouTube video.

AcidBurn - I love Universe Sandbox. That's totally my sort of thing. I've played with it briefly and it's really interesting, although I haven't got fully to grips with what you can do yet. I've mainly just tried out a few experiments in order to wreak havoc on our solar system. :D

I went a bit crazy:

Bastion

Bioshock 1 and 2

Dead Space 1 and 2

Demolition Inc.

Duke Nukem Forever :cool:

Fallout 3 (+ all DLC)

Fallout: New Vegas (+ all DLC)

From Dust

Frozen Synapse

Green Corp

Heroes V Pack

Homefront

id Software Pack (inc. all Doom and Quake games plus Rage and a few others)

Lego Batman

Limbo

Mass Effect 1 and 2

Portal 2

Prototype

Red Alert 3

Skyrim

Super Meat Boy

Thief: Deadly Shadows

Tomb Raider Pack (inc. Legend, Underworld, Anniversary and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light)

I think apart from Skyrim and the id Pack they were all under £5.

Skyrim, and the two Fallout games alone will probably last me all year! Don't know what I was thinking (that's a lie actually, I was thinking "Wow I'm getting all these games I've wanted for ages for basically nothing"), but I've vowed to myself I won't buy another game other than FM13 until I've played all of them to completion or as good as.

WTF Snake you went crazy with Steam shopping! How are you (and Crouchy) going to play all those games. :D

I would have to say Steam is an amazing platform. It's not really a fuss as everyone says it IMO. Not sure about the UK, but I can get games on Steam a lot cheaper than in a store, where 90% of the space reserved for games is reserved for consoles and handhelds.

I only have 105 games Crouchy... :p

Rancer games can be found cheaper on Direct2Drive or Amazon compared to Steam but the sales steam have are insane.

Rancer games can be found cheaper on Direct2Drive or Amazon compared to Steam but the sales steam have are insane.

I don't think I even one fifth of that amount. :D

Direct2Drive - I've bought games on there before but only ones that I can't find on Steam. The last time I went back on the site was when they were moving websites.

Amazon - Ugh, the Canadian store has absolutely nothing so I don't bother buying games there.

Didn't actually buy a lot from the Steam sales, partly because I bought so many other things and the stuff I bought during the sale weren't as cheap as some of the other stuff!

WTF Snake you went crazy with Steam shopping! How are you (and Crouchy) going to play all those games. :D

I would have to say Steam is an amazing platform. It's not really a fuss as everyone says it IMO. Not sure about the UK, but I can get games on Steam a lot cheaper than in a store, where 90% of the space reserved for games is reserved for consoles and handhelds.

Added it up and it was £150.

Works out at less than £3.75 per game though, so that's not so bad :)

105!!

I'm going to count my console games now, I bet you've got more than I have on every platform put together.

WTF Snake you went crazy with Steam shopping! How are you (and Crouchy) going to play all those games.

The way I see it is that Steam has basically sorted me out for games for the whole of 2012 this Xmas. :D I won't have to buy another game for a long time!

I only have 105 games Crouchy...

Is that all? :rolleyes:

;):D

105!!

I'm going to count my console games now, I bet you've got more than I have on every platform put together.

To be honest, I think that's probably more games than I have ever owned on every single format in my entire life! :D

Rancer try GamersGate thats good for Indie games :)

Amazon is really good here (especially with pre order guarantees!)

I know Crouchy I am disappointed in myself too!

I didn't want to spend ages doing a profile picture for it not to be what we were looking for. It would be nice and handy if we could get some ideas flying about, we've already had 'An Icon' but for now this was a quick 5 minute mock up. Like the idea of the picture? Be great if I could get some good ideas flying about, give me more to play around with!

FMCU.png

It was the first idea that popped into my head 'fireworks as the background' and I managed to find a great picture from last years Champions League final. Then obviously write FMCU, could change 'Football Manager Career Updates' to a slogan? I could also play around with the colors as well, if that's what people want.

That's good for a 5-minute job! Perhaps make it circular or shield shaped like a club badge?

Thanks SnakeXe, that's not a bad idea but remember the Steam profile pictures are Squares so whether it would look as good once up as a PP I'm not too sure, but I'll change it and keep both :thup:

Well I just counted all my console games, and let me tell you, 80 games does not look like a lot. Mind you, that includes PS2, PSOne, original Xbox, Gamecube, and PSP, as well as 360 and PS3, so it's pretty much all the games I've ever bought.

Except the 30+ PS2 games in my parents' loft.

And I actually have 102 games on Steam now.

:(

Crouchy, your Inbox is full by the way.

Seems to be quite a few people who know about games in here. Anyone know a good game similar to Masters of Orion?

Don't think it's wise for me to get into that debate because this thread will quickly turn into a yes or no to Steam and then SI might bust in here and close the thread for discussing Steam in anything but the most euphoric of terms.

When it comes to digital distribution, however, I much prefer GOG.com. You won't find Skyrim there, but they have a lot of great games and will apparently start to release newer games now (but not totally new). Love their philosophy ahead of Steam's any day of the year. Then there is of course the added bonus of no DRM and no container app to muck up things.

If you can be bothered to, drop me a PM about it, I'm interested to know what you think.