dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,019 posts in this topic

I use a quite simple format although I'm looking to change it over the next few updates, get a few more images into the updates rather than full of links.

I like to read the updates of everyone's, but sometimes you just don't have enough time and have to settle with just looking at links.

A belated Happy New Year to one and all. I hope all your FM dreams come true in 2012 :D

I got some good football books for Christmas, which I think will get me back in the mood for some virtual football management. :)

My mother-in-law bought me the new Jonathan Wilson book, Nobody Ever Says Thank You, written about Brian Clough, which should be an excellent read. Looking forward to starting this!

And my brother-in-law got me Patrick Barclay's book on Mourinho, called Further Anatomy of A Winner (at least, I think that's the title). Anyone read it? Is it any good?

I have a feeling that these will impact upon my managerial style, so you can expect a reinvented arrogant and egotistical Crouchaldinho in my next FM save. :D

On an unrelated note, my parents bought me Ian Ridley's new book There's a Golden Sky. Another book that I'm really looking forward to starting. It's written by the current St. Albans City chairman.

Also, someone has passed on some books to me to borrow, which I have on my 'to read' pile. I've finished Matchday: What makes Saturday special? by Chris Green. A decent enough read. I have The Ghost of White Heart Lane by Rob White and Julie Welch, plus Brian Moore's autobiography, The Final Score, both still to read. I'm also reading the Luton Town history, Staring into the Abyss, on and off, which somebody let me borrowand is quite an interesting read so far.

Just thought I would share. Anyone get any good football books for Xmas or in the sales?

I got the one about Robert Enke. I haven't started it it yet though.

I'm also reading the Luton Town history

Genuine question and not meant to antagonise: Is the book balanced or is it a lot of whinging about the FA being heavy handed? I ask as I have read a lot of Luton fans about their plight but not many acknowledge that they actually got a lenient sentence. Two lots of administration as a result of spending money they just didn't have. It gave them an unfair advantage at the time of the spending.

Genuine question and not meant to antagonise: Is the book balanced or is it a lot of whinging about the FA being heavy handed? I ask as I have read a lot of Luton fans about their plight but not many acknowledge that they actually got a lenient sentence. Two lots of administration as a result of spending money they just didn't have. It gave them an unfair advantage at the time of the spending.

I haven't got to that era yet. The book is actually a history book, detailing the various calamities and crises that the club has faced during its existence culminating in the most recent episode. The idea of the book is almost to say that the most recent kind of crisis that the club has faced is nothing new in some senses and that the club has had many unfortunate episodes in the past also. The preface and introduction talks briefly about the most recent crisis and it seems pretty balanced to me. And, for what it's worth, when talking about the issues the club has faced in the past, the book has been pretty open about the club's flaws and who was responsible and so on. I'm not a Luton fan, btw, although they are a local club that I have a soft spot for.

I got the one about Robert Enke. I haven't started it it yet though.

I bought the Enke one for myself before Christmas, and just finished it. Got 'Inverting the Pyramid' for Christmas though it'll probably be some time before I get around to it.

I've actually never read a football book - well, apart from some autobiographies. But I'm currently re-reading the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (there is a Hitchhiker-motivated update here btw), which is an excellent series, and still have not finished War and Peace, which I started several years ago and have been reading on and off. Should probably start over now tbh, as it's been in a box for too long for me to even remember where I was last time around :D

Have heard many great things about Inverting the Pyramid, so if I were to pick up a football book that would probably be it.

I bought the Enke one for myself before Christmas, and just finished it. Got 'Inverting the Pyramid' for Christmas though it'll probably be some time before I get around to it.

That's the one football book I want to get. I never read a football book before, and the two books I got this past Christmas were 'Moneyball' (baseball) and 'The Lost Dream' (about Mike Danton). The latter I would say is a fascinating read even if you're not into hockey.

I'm over here. Look!

What do you mean? On Steam?

I couldn't find you either

Everyone should get Calcio btw. The book that inspired my thread! :p

Got it years ago.

That's the one football book I want to get. I never read a football book before, and the two books I got this past Christmas were 'Moneyball' (baseball) and 'The Lost Dream' (about Mike Danton). The latter I would say is a fascinating read even if you're not into hockey.

Interesting coincidence (maybe). Earlier today I came over an old article with an interview with Henry, the Liverpool owner. I was amazed to read he planned to use statistics when figuring out what players to buy, like he apparently did with the Red Sox in the US, which was based (as I understood it) on amongst others things this "Moneyball" book. Seems like an incredibly inappropriate way to locate signings if you ask me. Not everything is visible in statistics, and as we all know statistics can lie (sometimes grotesquely so).

Maybe known, but according to him Carroll/Torres were so pathetically expensive because it was basically up to Newcastle, because Liverpool wanted 15 million more for Torres than Newcastle wanted for Carroll, to finance the buy of Suarez (spit) too. Think we all knew it was a ridiculously good deal for Newcastle at the time, which looks even better with 20/20 hindsight vision. If the Carroll buy has been loosely or strongly based on his stats with Newcastle in the Championship, hopefully (or rather not) Liverpool have learnt their lesson.

Just goes to show, if correct, that you want people with football knowledge to make the crucial footballing decisions in a football club, not business men. After all, he has admitted he knew next to nothing about Liverpool prior to buying the club, and I suspect football more generally too.

I couldn't find you either

Weird. What's your username on Steam, Deisler? Is it the same as on here?

Same question to you Flamers.

Maybe the search function is broken? I don't know. But if I add you, you can definitely confirm my details.

Yeah, agreed. Great book.

Interesting coincidence (maybe). Earlier today I came over an old article with an interview with Henry, the Liverpool owner. I was amazed to read he planned to use statistics when figuring out what players to buy, like he apparently did with the Red Sox in the US, which was based (as I understood it) on amongst others things this "Moneyball" book. Seems like an incredibly inappropriate way to locate signings if you ask me. Not everything is visible in statistics, and as we all know statistics can lie (sometimes grotesquely so).

Maybe known, but according to him Carroll/Torres were so pathetically expensive because it was basically up to Newcastle, because Liverpool wanted 15 million more for Torres than Newcastle wanted for Carroll, to finance the buy of Suarez (spit) too. Think we all knew it was a ridiculously good deal for Newcastle at the time, which looks even better with 20/20 hindsight vision. If the Carroll buy has been loosely or strongly based on his stats with Newcastle in the Championship, hopefully (or rather not) Liverpool have learnt their lesson.

Just goes to show, if correct, that you want people with football knowledge to make the crucial footballing decisions in a football club, not business men. After all, he has admitted he knew next to nothing about Liverpool prior to buying the club, and I suspect football more generally too.

Moneyball won't work in football IRL, because it's not like a statistics heavy sport like baseball. There has been some studies on sabermetrics in soccer/soccernomics but I'm not sure how successful they can be applied onto the pitch. I will have to say though, in FM I pretty much use the 'Moneyball' philosophy to find and sign players.

Henry can waste money however he wants though, as I hate the clubs owned by him abroad and stateside. :D

Flamers, I tried to add you on Steam, so hopefully you get a message when you're next online. If not, I also joined your group.

Hrbfcrule, funny you should be browsing this thread, as I found you on Steam through Flamers and so added you as a friend.

Deisler, I couldn't find you via your SI Games username.

As for people trying to find me, it is caps sensitive? If it is, my name is Crouchaldinho with a capital 'C'. Not sure that would make any difference though, surely?

Maybe we should make an FMCU group on Steam?

I wouldn't mind being in that group. My username is the same on Steam.

Flamers will sort us out with a group, I reckon. I'm not very good at Steam yet. I wouldn't know what to do! :D

Maybe we should make an FMCU group on Steam?

If that happened I might actually start having it in online mode for a change. Mine's the same except with a '9' at the end

Mines acidburn81 if anyone wants to add me. Tried searching for a few of you but the search just keeps searching and returns no results.

Yeah, I think the search is broken at the moment. Or working intermittently, anyway.

If someone makes an FMCU group, that will make it easier for us to find each other.

Finally returned the results and could not find a Crouchaldinho.

Acidburn, try looking for Flamers. When you find him, go to his group (Illogical Gamers, or something like that). I should be on it.

Hopefully you can find me that way.

How did you add me?

The search finally worked and so I clicked on 'add to friend list' or something like that.

So is my username definitely coming up as Crouchaldinho for you?

Just got it now. Yeah definitely coming up as Crouchaldinho.

Moneyball won't work in football IRL, because it's not like a statistics heavy sport like baseball. There has been some studies on sabermetrics in soccer/soccernomics but I'm not sure how successful they can be applied onto the pitch. I will have to say though, in FM I pretty much use the 'Moneyball' philosophy to find and sign players.

Henry can waste money however he wants though, as I hate the clubs owned by him abroad and stateside. :D

I think the the closest thing to sabermetrics we have in footbal is Fulham's run to the Europa final/Leicester's few seasons under MON. The punching-above-their-weight teams.

Okay guys, I started an FMCU page on Steam

Go here in order to join it - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FMCU

It's pretty blank at the moment. I'll try to get some details and some pictures sorted out.

If anyone who knows there stuff on Steam wants to be an admin, let me know (I'm looking at you Flamers!) and I'll add you. I'm not too great at this stuff, so happy to add some admins to be in charge of it. :)

I think I added Crouchy and AcidBurn...

I didn't realize or remember that you can have a username different from a logon name. qrexranger's me in case that throws anyone, definitely threw me when I saw it.

Guys, I am now struggling with motivation to play FM. I usually do around this time of the year after 2-3 months of solid play. Any advice on what game to try would be appreciated. I dont use editors and wont either - too many threads on here get far too many crashes with editors.

Sure Crouchy :) that group is for my community which is all about having fun while gaming :) I will hopefully be on tomorrow so i can accept :)

I'll make you an admin Flamers. You know more about Steam than me!

We also need a decent group profile picture. any ideas?

Guys, I am now struggling with motivation to play FM. I usually do around this time of the year after 2-3 months of solid play. Any advice on what game to try would be appreciated. I dont use editors and wont either - too many threads on here get far too many crashes with editors.

Try emulating something. Have an entire squad of one nationality, follow a specific tactical framework, attempt to win the title on different continents, follow a specific manager's career path. The choice is yours really.

Actually done something with my profile for the first time ever. Didn't realize that the notification for the sending of a friend request was so hard to spot, and the program was being unresponsive so sorry if it ended up sending a few to the same person, though it would only have happened to one person I think if it did.