dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,018 posts in this topic

Did you lock the terms up?

Nope, I never considered it. It was just odd that I'd agreed terms with him but he always changed it.

I did consider changing the minimum fee to £0 though.

Nope, I never considered it. It was just odd that I'd agreed terms with him but he always changed it.

I did consider changing the minimum fee to £0 though.

I find that sometimes if you keep putting the lower price in, they accept it.

I find that sometimes if you keep putting the lower price in, they accept it.

Next time I will try locking it and seeing what their re-action is. It was just odd that I always accepted his terms but yet he always wanted to change it, resulting in him getting bored.

As I am loathe to use the GD forum, I will ask here, my favourite forum.

I have noticed my current career game has automatically been patched to 12.1. Is this the first FM to do this? From memory all previous FM's have required a new game to be started before the patch took effect.

As I am loathe to use the GD forum, I will ask here, my favourite forum.

I have noticed my current career game has automatically been patched to 12.1. Is this the first FM to do this? From memory all previous FM's have required a new game to be started before the patch took effect.

No, they didn't. You could patch at any time and all the changes would take effect, just not the rosters.

Not everything would take effect, but most would. It's always been like this, saves are always compatible between patches. But to fully take advantage of a new patch it's best to start a new save. It's why many don't buy the game until February-March and start their careers then, when the third patch has typically come out.

GD is brutal. It's like it's Rant Day in the kindergarten. Except it's every day :(

Not everything would take effect, but most would. It's always been like this, saves are always compatible between patches. But to fully take advantage of a new patch it's best to start a new save. It's why many don't buy the game until February-March and start their careers then, when the third patch has typically come out.

GD is brutal. It's like it's Rant Day in the kindergarten. Except it's every day :(

Haha having played every single SI game in depth since 1993, I have never noticed this before. :) Sometimes I am an airhead.

Spot on...which is why I never venture in there! :D

GD isn't that bad guys. Just don't go in any threads that when you hover over them start with, "I've been playing FM for" or "I've been playing FM since" as 9 times out of 10 they are rants about how this shouldn't happen and this shouldn't happen. Then despite others saying it happens in real life, that's why it's in FM, they still don't back down :D.

I hadn't been in there much since getting FM12, but sometimes venture in there as its good for a laugh.

GD isn't that bad guys. Just don't go in any threads.

Totally agree with that.

:D

Having actually taken care of kindergarten kids for a couple years I would say that taking care of kindergarten kids >>>>>>>>> posting into GD threads. :D

I'm happy to see that there's so many threads in FMCU, I would have to say CSE hasn't been as busy as before...

Having actually taken care of kindergarten kids for a couple years I would say that taking care of kindergarten kids >>>>>>>>> posting into GD threads. :D

I'm happy to see that there's so many threads in FMCU, I would have to say CSE hasn't been as busy as before...

Don't even know what CSE is shortened for, but going to assume it's the stories forum. I've never really gotten that idea tbh. Seems a bit pointless to write long essays about your team instead of actually playing the game :confused:

CSE is challenges, sign ups and experiments. Some of it is story based, but a lot of it is game based, like this forum.

Don't even know what CSE is shortened for, but going to assume it's the stories forum. I've never really gotten that idea tbh. Seems a bit pointless to write long essays about your team instead of actually playing the game :confused:

I love the idea, I just run out of steam in my ideas...

I know to create screenshots and upload - my career thread has enough of them after all - but I notice the quality of my screens is lacking in comparison to others. How do I improve them?

I see some of the same in many other threads too, and it's quite frustrating really as it's so hard to see what's actually in the shots. The problem is that the forum resizes all in-forum images to 800 width, so when yours are in about 1 million pixels wide (:D ) it's hard to see what's in them. I find it's good to resize the window (if you are playing in windowed) to something small so the pictures are coming up properly. That way half the picture won't be empty space too, like in many league tables. They way I've done it is to have the un-maximised window at 1024x768 for when taking screenshots. Then I can just double-click the top titlebar to get the window to maximise for play-time. Works quite nice.

See you are using the player section with lots of into too. That has the downside of making it rather hard to see the attributes, which is at least what I look for in those pictures. Probably better to use the attribute screen instead of the profile.

Hope that helps.

I see some of the same in many other threads too, and it's quite frustrating really as it's so hard to see what's actually in the shots. The problem is that the forum resizes all in-forum images to 800 width, so when yours are in about 1 million pixels wide (:D ) it's hard to see what's in them. I find it's good to resize the window (if you are playing in windowed) to something small so the pictures are coming up properly. That way half the picture won't be empty space too, like in many league tables. They way I've done it is to have the un-maximised window at 1024x768 for when taking screenshots. Then I can just double-click the top titlebar to get the window to maximise for play-time. Works quite nice.

See you are using the player section with lots of into too. That has the downside of making it rather hard to see the attributes, which is at least what I look for in those pictures. Probably better to use the attribute screen instead of the profile.

Hope that helps.

I had windowed mode on so have minimised - result is MUCH better. Thanks :D

Have a look at my latest update for the results.

My wife managed to spill a glass of red wine on my laptop last night :mad:

I now have a horrible wait while someone looks at it, I'm praying it is just a blown fuse. I can't really afford to replace it, so is it wrong that the thing I'm most worried about is losing my FM save? :D

Definitely not, that's all I was bothered about when mine carked it. :D

I now have a horrible wait while someone looks at it, I'm praying it is just a blown fuse. I can't really afford to replace it, so is it wrong that the thing I'm most worried about is losing my FM save? :D

Only thing wrong would be if you were not bothered about the save!

You clearly have your priorities right :thup:

Definitely not! That's all I was worried about too when mine went. Unfortunately I lost my saves too :(, hopefully you don't suffer the same fate.

As DazRTaylor said, you definitely have your priorities right :D.

[video=youtube;S9J7XE-ctMU]

Judge: "Why have you filed for divorce, sir?"

Dafuge: "My wife spilled a glass of red whine into my laptop, which killed off my FM saves."

Judge: "Err. What?"

On a serious note, hope you manage to save it. Terrible way for a career to end.

The way I do screenies is windowed mode, re-sizing the window to squeeze as much text as possible instead of blank spaces, and then crop the images in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. You don't get wasted space this way.

Dafuge: even if your laptop is ruined, your hard drive should probably be alright and you should be able to recover the information in it, including the all-important FM save. Who cares about the actual expensive piece of hardware laptop heh? :D

hasnt fm been mentioned in divorce cases before lol Its so unreal you could end up on judge judy

btw how do you do screen shots from the game? I usually prnt scrn and paste into paint.

Dafuge: even if your laptop is ruined, your hard drive should probably be alright and you should be able to recover the information in it, including the all-important FM save. Who cares about the actual expensive piece of hardware laptop heh? :D

I'm fairly sure the hard drive is fine, so I should be able to recover my stuff. The timing was awful though, just when I'd started my holidays and had loads of time to play FM :(

I really hope my laptop can be fixed. It was a couple of years old but it was quite expensive new so I can't really afford to replace it. It will mean downgrading if I have to get a new one :(

btw how do you do screen shots from the game? I usually prnt scrn and paste into paint.

Alt+F9 is the default shortcut I believe. Which is pretty terrible so I have remapped it to Ctrl+F12. You can check all shortcuts and make new ones in the settings somewhere.

Alt+F9 is the default shortcut I believe. Which is pretty terrible so I have remapped it to Ctrl+F12. You can check all shortcuts and make new ones in the settings somewhere.

lolwut? Why should CTRL+F12 should be any better than ALT+F9? Major OCD alert there. :D

Worth mentioning that the screenies then get automatically saved in the My Documents\Sports Interactive\FM 2012\screenshots folder, and that you can set them up to save them as PNG, JPG or whatever you like. Personally I go the extra effort by saving them as PNG and them converting to JPG in an image processing program with the level of compression I want, which is the best possible compromise between bandwidth and image quality. A bit of a hassle but I feel it's worth it, I like to post loads of pictures and don't want my thread taking ages to load, neither I want the text to look sh*t and nearly unreadable.

It depends on how much effort you're bothered to take, really. In another forum I am people often make special banners and use photoshop templates they create to show every single game result, now that's effort and something I wouldn't want to waste my time with.

I'm fairly sure the hard drive is fine, so I should be able to recover my stuff. The timing was awful though, just when I'd started my holidays and had loads of time to play FM :(

I really hope my laptop can be fixed. It was a couple of years old but it was quite expensive new so I can't really afford to replace it. It will mean downgrading if I have to get a new one :(

Was it switched on when she spilled it? If not it'll be fine, if it was then it's a lottery really.

A couple of years ago I took apart my missus' old laptop to see if I could work out why a couple of the buttons had stopped working. Underneath the keyboard was this disgusting, sticky brown scum all over the PCB the buttons were mounted on. Turns out she'd spilled cup after cup of coffee over it during its lifetime and it had worked fine until then. Cleaned it off and it was back to normal. My psyche remains scarred.

Was it switched on when she spilled it? If not it'll be fine, if it was then it's a lottery really.

A couple of years ago I took apart my missus' old laptop to see if I could work out why a couple of the buttons had stopped working. Underneath the keyboard was this disgusting, sticky brown scum all over the PCB the buttons were mounted on. Turns out she'd spilled cup after cup of coffee over it during its lifetime and it had worked fine until then. Cleaned it off and it was back to normal. My psyche remains scarred.

That's amazing. :lol: I can picture your petrified face as she said "oh, I may have spilled a few cups of coffee on it". :lol:

It was turned off, but it was plugged in.

Then I'd imagine the damage will be to the PSU and everything else is fine. I can't say for sure how easy it'll be to replace that, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't simple enough. So long as the rest of the components are dried and cleaned well you should get away with it.

There wasn't much liquid inside it, so I'm hoping the problem is just power related. The laptop is completely dead, no lights show at all. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

On a positive note, I've managed to get hold of my save game, so if I do need to repalce it at least I'll be able to continue my game.

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks of having videos highlights in updates? I've put a couple in my thread but I'm never sure whether they are all that well received. What do you prefer; screenshots and descriptions, videos or a mixture?

lolwut? Why should CTRL+F12 should be any better than ALT+F9? Major OCD alert there. :D

Because then it's very easy to quickly take screenshots of my players at the end of each season. Ctrl + right arrow cycles through them and Ctrl + F12 takes a picture. So I just hold down Ctrl all the time and cycle through with one finger and take pictures with another. It works well for me. Could of course use one button, but then I'd have to figure out a free one and I couldn't be arsed with that. Alt+F9 is terribly though as it's too far apart to easily do with one hand.

Looks like it will cost me something like £200. I looked into just buying a new one but it seems my two year old laptop is still very expensive to replace, the processor is the only dated part and even that isn't that bad. I've even tried loading FM on my old work laptop (which I'm using now), it works but it is unbearably slow.

It looks like I'll be spending a week with no FM. This usually wouldn't be a problem, but as I'm off work this would have been a week I'd have spent playing it non stop :(

Are there any sort of couply things she's sprung on you since "the incident"? Antiquing outings? Visits to the in-laws :eek:?

Wow it is hard to find a cheapish striker in this game.

Found this regen who is 19 and my scouts reckon is just about as good as every one else, yet the AI won't even accept a 14M bid. :D

Wow it is hard to find a cheapish striker in this game.

Found this regen who is 19 and my scouts reckon is just about as good as every one else, yet the AI won't even accept a 14M bid. :D

You can get quite a few on expiring contracts if you're lucky, currently going to get a very good 17yr old that way, having done so at MTK as well.

That continues to be one of the great weaknesses with FM. Too many good players are released or not offered new contracts, particularly young ones.

That continues to be one of the great weaknesses with FM. Too many good players are released or not offered new contracts, particularly young ones.

Trying to get them to join a nothing club. That's the challenge.