dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

8,018 posts in this topic

I don't seem to be finding it too easy, certainly not going from my progress in my thread of the past 4 seasons. However, when reading other FMCU threads and in GD many people seem to be getting far too much success, too soon.

But as I say it doesn't seem a problem for me...yet. :D

FM11, I won BSS then BSP then L2, all coming top of the league, in back-to-back-to-back season.

Now I'm in my 9th season and achieved 2 promotions. I mean, come on... Am I the only one to be struggling?

Although, the people that read my thread will know I do bring it ALL upon myself. I kind of like the unbelievable torture of playing as Macclesfield Town and losing to Corby Town in the league, it's somehow quite enjoyable :cool:

I think the problem lies in that a lot of the leagues are at the same level. For example, Serie C1 and C2 are pretty much the same in terms of talent IF your team rep is high enough.

Ok, do any of you read the threads of others and immediately fancy trying the league you have been reading about?

Ok, do any of you read the threads of others and immediately fancy trying the league you have been reading about?

Yep, all the time. I quite fancy playing in the German Third Division after reading your thread :D.

Just wanted to point out that I dont really find FM 12 any easier or harder than FM 11 - I was able win back to back to back to back to back promotions (BSN to Premier League in 5 years!) in FM 11 - in FM 12, Ive done the back to back thing up till the Championship, where I am now playing my second season. What I did find is that on FM 12, it is alot harder to retain star players when they are clearly better than the level of your club. It is also more difficult to sign players that would be immediate contributors - this is ofcourse, in my experience. Ive only played my Bromley save (available to read here on the forum!), so it could be something that is exclusive to my save.

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding youth facilities. Does anyone know if these only benefit players on youth contracts? My youth intake all arrive on semi-pro deals, so would it be a waste of money trying to upgrade?

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding youth facilities. Does anyone know if these only benefit players on youth contracts? My youth intake all arrive on semi-pro deals, so would it be a waste of money trying to upgrade?

Never a waste to upgrade. It is always the first thing I try to do.

I'm pretty sure youth facilities affect the quality of player that you get in the youth intake so always try get that up before anything else.

That had always been my understanding as well, but now we have the ability to increase the junior coaching budget so I thought that had taken its place in that respect. My finances are very tight, so I wanted to make sure that I don't waste a penny.

That had always been my understanding as well, but now we have the ability to increase the junior coaching budget so I thought that had taken its place in that respect. My finances are very tight, so I wanted to make sure that I don't waste a penny.

Junior coaching healps the stats at the start. ie, when you get them. The youth facilities help to increase the stats when they are youth players.

Junior coaching healps the stats at the start. ie, when you get them. The youth facilities help to increase the stats when they are youth players.

Yeah, that's my point though - I don't have an under 19 team or a B-team, just a senior team. And at no time are these guys on youth contracts, they come into my team on part-time contracts just like all my other players. So would they see any benefit from improved youth facilities?

I'm pretty sure it only effects them if they are on youth contracts yeah, though i still suspect facilities plays a role in the quality of regen you get, nothing more than a hunch though.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. On the fixtures screen, to the right is the filter option where you can select which competition you want to view. The issue I'm having is that it's still set for last season e.g. Last season I was in the BSN but have been promoted to the BSP. However, on the tick list it still displays BSN as the league competition rather than the BSP. Any ideas?

Have you tried deleting the cache folder?

That sometimes fixes display/UI problems.

I don't have the option to filter through the Carling Cup fixtures on mine. :D

Silly question but where is the cache? I've tried the default location MyDocuments/SI/FM12 but there's nothing there :confused:.

raware have you tried this

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders.

XP:

My Computer

'Tools'

'Folder Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

My Computer

'Organize'

'Folder and Search Options'.

The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Once this is done, follow the instructions below:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2012” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2012” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys but still no joy :(. Quite annoying really.

Now that we've had FM12 in our mits for over six weeks now, what's everyone's opinion on the overall difficulty level?

If I'm being honest, I think it's a lot easier than previous reincarnations. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot to love about this game, but I do feel that the level of challenge has been tamed down somewhat. In my current journeyman save, I've already achieved two back-to-back promotion, and now with Fulham, I'm having unbelievable success in my first season in the Premier League. Having played FM/CM for 15 years, I'm no donut when it comes setting up tactics, and I know what instructions will get the best out of my players, but I'm certainly not some tactical genius, and don't spend hours adjusting sliders to a fine detail. Going from the BSS to Premier League in six seasons is a lot quicker than I would have expected too, normally this would take me about ten. And it's not as if I use 3rd party add-ons either, or download tactics, I don't even use the player search; I work everything out for myself, and rely 100% on my scouts reports before determining whether to sign a player or not. Perhaps it due to the match engine being the same as last years? Perhaps I've just been very lucky?

I know I could make things harder for myself by restricting myself to home-grown players or managing in some obscure country, but I've never had to do any of this in the past. Playing a journeyman career is my favoured approach to FM, one of which I've always enjoyed immensely, but it feels like I might have to enforce some restrictions on myself to try and make things a bit harder, and prolong the challenge of the game.

I'm wondering if this is the general consensus from the FMCU community too, or is it just me? From reading the several excellent threads on the forums, it appears I'm not the only one who is enjoying a lot of success very early on their careers. I'm not really having a moan either, I still love the game and I'm still going to plough on with my career, but I'm just wondering if I need to start taking a different approach to things.

I'd be interested in your opinions :)

I haven't been playing much because I've been shellshocked.

Sacked after 11 (?) games with Kansas City (although MLS clubs have always had itchy triggers in FM). And my current stint in Belarus (which I'm tentatively resuming) has begun with 8 straight defeats, some of them absolute maulings.

**** me, I think I should start a new game and see if that changes my luck.

These are my results (Home team listed first. I've lost every game):

Friendlies

1-0

2-1

1-5

0-2

1-3

League

5-1

0-3

2-0

1-5

3-0

1-2

2-0

0-2

0-5

Every game I get absolutely destroyed. I'm lucky to get 1 shot on target in a game; my opponents are scoring 25, 30 yard curling shots every game.

Friendlies

1-0

2-1

1-5

0-2

1-3

League

5-1

0-3

2-0

1-5

3-0

1-2

2-0

0-2

0-5

Every game I get absolutely destroyed. I'm lucky to get 1 shot on target in a game; my opponents are scoring 25, 30 yard curling shots every game.

Right, try a deep defensive line, closing down often, a DMC as an anchor man. You should get some joy then.

My last 0-5 was with a 4-2-3-1 deep (2 DMCs; set 1 of them as an anchor man)

My last 0-5 was with a 4-2-3-1 deep (2 DMCs; set 1 of them as an anchor man)

What were your other instructions?

Try this:

----------DLF(S)----------
--------------------------
W(A)------------------W(A)
---BWM(D)-CM(AU)-CM(S)----
FB(S)--CD(D)--CD(D)--FB(S)
-----------GK(D)----------

Rigid philosophy, standard approach. Set passing down both flanks. Basically all you need is two better than average wingers, pump ball after ball into the box. If the crosses are getting dealt with consistently, set crossing to mixed or from deep. With a 4-2-3-1 deep you're probably leaving their midfield loads of room, with this system they should be crowded out by the three MCs.

What were your other instructions?

In that game (off the top of my head), Rigid/Control/Short. Had Quickness turned up all the way (my team has average speed but next to no strength, so I don't want them trying to hold up the ball)

DLF (A)

DW (S) - AM (A) - W (A)

DMC (S) - AM (D)

FB (Auto) - CD (D) - CD (D) - FB (auto)

Try this:

----------DLF(S)----------
W(A)------------------W(A)
---BWM(D)-CM(AU)-CM(S)----
FB(S)--CD(D)--CD(D)--FB(S)
-----------GK(D)----------

Rigid philosophy, standard approach. Set passing down both flanks. Basically all you need is two better than average wingers, pump ball after ball into the box. If the crosses are getting dealt with consistently, set crossing to mixed or from deep. With a 4-2-3-1 deep you're probably leaving their midfield loads of room, with this system they should be crowded out by the three MCs.

I've tried damn everything I can think of. 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2, etc., etc.

In that game (off the top of my head), Rigid/Control/Short. Had Quickness turned up all the way (my team has average speed but next to no strength, so I don't want them trying to hold up the ball)

DLF (A)

DW (S) - AM (A) - W (A)

DMC (S) - AM (D)

FB (Auto) - CD (D) - CD (D) - FB (auto)

The short passing might be a problem at that level. Requires a lot of technical skill. That gap in the middle isn't fun either.

Perhaps that's the problem then, too much chopping and changing. Also, I definitely wouldn't recommend having any slider to an extreme. Knock it down 5 clicks or so and it should help.

The short passing might be a problem at that level. Requires a lot of technical skill. That gap in the middle isn't fun either.

There was a long and mostly moronic discussion about this in GD that I had the misfortune of participating in a while ago. I used the system with my Messina team and there is no gap unless you make one on purpose. The only problem with the system is that the match engine sometimes lets your two DMs sit off the opposing MCs and give them loads of time and space. You can fix this a number of ways though.

Having said that, the way he's set up looks like he will create a gap in some situations. I'd have the central AM on support, and perhaps even tweak forward runs to rarely. This way they'll play more as a three and two than as a two and three.

On the bright side I've become quite adept at team meetings. Typically leave with every player fired up and with improved morale. :D

There was a long and mostly moronic discussion about this in GD that I had the misfortune of participating in a while ago. I used the system with my Messina team and there is no gap unless you make one on purpose. The only problem with the system is that the match engine sometimes lets your two DMs sit off the opposing MCs and give them loads of time and space. You can fix this a number of ways though.

Having said that, the way he's set up looks like he will create a gap in some situations. I'd have the central AM on support, and perhaps even tweak forward runs to rarely. This way they'll play more as a three and two than as a two and three.

Usually I just make minor alterations to the default tactics, changing a player's role, that sort of thing.

In that tactical setup I posted, I set a defensive winger because my scouts showed my upcoming opponents had most of their assists coming from that area.

About that. In my game I manage Hansa Rostock, got the job when previous manager was fired, and the club was 16th struggling to stay in the league. My first three matches were 0-3 0-4 and 1-5 loses, then odd win and a few more heavy loses. I stopped conceeding so many goals when I finally changed tactics to quite defensive 4-1-3-1-1 formation with anchor DM and when morale improved a bit. I started to win home games with tight 1-0 or 2-1 results by playing very defensively with counter attacks ticked on. Eventually I managed to stay in the league through relegation playoffs : ).

Friendlies

1-0

2-1

1-5

0-2

1-3

League

5-1

0-3

2-0

1-5

3-0

1-2

2-0

0-2

0-5

:D

Sounds excellent.

Usually I just make minor alterations to the default tactics, changing a player's role, that sort of thing.

In that tactical setup I posted, I set a defensive winger because my scouts showed my upcoming opponents had most of their assists coming from that area.

5-3-2 is what you need.

--------TM(s)---P(a)--------

-----------------------------

----CM(s)--BWM(s)--CM(d)----

--------------------------------

FB(au)--LD(d)-BPD(d)-LD(d)--FB(au)

Rigid/Counter/Direct - Quick Passing, Aggresive, Stick to Position. :thup:

5-3-2 is what you need.

--------TM(s)---P(a)--------

-----------------------------

----CM(s)--BWM(s)--CM(d)----

--------------------------------

FB(au)--LD(d)-BPD(d)-LD(d)--FB(au)

Rigid/Counter/Direct - Quick Passing, Aggresive, Stick to Position. :thup:

Interesting. Only 1 player in attacking mentality?

I would think that leaves me too punchless going forward. OTOH, I've only scored 3 goals in 9 league matches, so I can't be much more punchless than I already am. :D

New strategy: Bore the other team into submission. :D

Check out Deisler's thread, catenaccio is the way forward :thup:

I would think that leaves me too punchless going forward. OTOH, I've only scored 3 goals in 9 league matches, so I can't be much more punchless than I already am. :D

dejavu.jpg

That's what you can do with boring teams to submission ;)

Im trying to find the starting league/country reputations for all the countries in the game. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

You've probably had this answered already, but I determined the league reputations at the start.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/282813-Discussion-Thread-League-reputations-at-game-start

dejavu.jpg

That's what you can do with boring teams to submission ;)

Heh.

I may just start a new game. It looks like FM North America/FM Update have a solid USA expansion file now, so I'm thinking about that. Can't remember if there is a December patch planned though.

It works for me, just got a 0-0 draw against Man City using it. They usually smash me. :D

Heh.

I may just start a new game. It looks like FM North America/FM Update have a solid USA expansion file now, so I'm thinking about that. Can't remember if there is a December patch planned though.

There usually is, so probably not a bad idea to hold off for a little while yet. Though I suppose it may not come until January too.

You know, it might not just be the players who are crap ;)

Damnit. Negotiations in FM are driving me batshit insane. Offer out player for say 5M. Offers come in for 1.7M across the board. Negotiate to 4M. Every God damn club comes back with LESS than they offered in the first place. :mad:

Same when trying to buy players. Offer 2M. Club wants 3M. Offer 2.4M. Club now wants 4M. :mad:

I imagine this is how the Mafia operates. Take the first 'offer' or you're screwed. So frustrating :( It's stuff like this, which is so far removed from real negotiations, that smash the image of this being an actual football world.

Please tell me this is MILES better in FM12...

Damnit. Negotiations in FM are driving me batshit insane. Offer out player for say 5M. Offers come in for 1.7M across the board. Negotiate to 4M. Every God damn club comes back with LESS than they offered in the first place. :mad:

Same when trying to buy players. Offer 2M. Club wants 3M. Offer 2.4M. Club now wants 4M. :mad:

I imagine this is how the Mafia operates. Take the first 'offer' or you're screwed. So frustrating :( It's stuff like this, which is so far removed from real negotiations, that smash the image of this being an actual football world.

Please tell me this is MILES better in FM12...

I've never been in money transfer negotiations on FM12

BUT

I had a very annoying thing happen during the contract negotiations (more than once this has happened)

Me and the player get to a 'deal' as such, where I suggest an off to him, he changes something ever so slightly, I 'accept' it and therefore I go to suggest the terms. He then negotiates (both occasions the player changed the 'minimum fee release clause', lowering it) I suggest the terms again, he lowers it again, I suggest the terms again, he lowers again and then when I suggest the terms again he gets fed up and backs out of the deal completely!?

I agree a deal with him, he constantly changes it and he then backs out due to frustration?

I've never been in money transfer negotiations on FM12

BUT

I had a very annoying thing happen during the contract negotiations (more than once this has happened)

Me and the player get to a 'deal' as such, where I suggest an off to him, he changes something ever so slightly, I 'accept' it and therefore I go to suggest the terms. He then negotiates (both occasions the player changed the 'minimum fee release clause', lowering it) I suggest the terms again, he lowers it again, I suggest the terms again, he lowers again and then when I suggest the terms again he gets fed up and backs out of the deal completely!?

I agree a deal with him, he constantly changes it and he then backs out due to frustration?

Did you lock the terms up?