dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,954 posts in this topic

Sometimes I do get the feeling a result is on the cards quite early in a match though. Although I've been proven wrong on that - for example hitting the woodwork 3 times only to go 1-0 down from their first attack, it always feels to me like we'll batter them all game and never quite manage to score, but a couple of times in my last season we've come back to win comfortably.

That was exactly it. I had 3 shots cleared off the line in the first three minutes. However, I ended up winning 2-0.

What the hell did you do that for?! It's like the bad bits of Sunderland in there....

Oh God, it was horrific. Every bleedin' post was "This game is ****!!". I don't notice half the **** that they complain about. Mainly as they're bitching about not being able to sign Sakho for £20m for Man City.

I've just been in GD. NEVER let me go in there again...

I posted in there not long ago, was asking about the Soccer AM team being in FM12, just asked if it was some sort of joke. I got quickly shunned away.

Conspiracy theories I tell ya!

I thought you'd of learnt by now Deisler not to venture in to GD! ;) I only hang around here and sometimes the challenges forum.

General Discussion. I'll advise you now...don't go in there! ;):D

Ah. There are a few I dont go in. I started going into LLM but that has shown itself to be an elitest forum with one massive clique. If you ask a question you are generally pounced upon and ridiculed.

I tend to find that too, very elitest hence why I wanted this forum to be created a few years ago.

I tend to find that too, very elitest hence why I wanted this forum to be created a few years ago.

Well done then as I have found my home here - I love the threads, the encouragement and the friendly posters. :thup:+

We've attracted some good posters here and I for one am pleased at how this forum has turned out, not to mention the fantastic threads which are both great to read and which give inspiration to our own games. :thup:

Sometimes I do get the feeling a result is on the cards quite early in a match though. Although I've been proven wrong on that - for example hitting the woodwork 3 times only to go 1-0 down from their first attack, it always feels to me like we'll batter them all game and never quite manage to score, but a couple of times in my last season we've come back to win comfortably.

I suppose I was half proven wrong in this match, because at half time I fully expected we'd lose: woodwork 4 times by then (one more in the 2nd half), we finally score, only to score an own goal three minutes later, thereby highlighting the current match engine's two main annoyances for me, heh. I'm glad we managed to get a point from that match.

Im wanting to start a journeyman career. Im normally a one club man. Take a lower league club to as high as i can get them. So im a little unsure how to approach a journeyman save. I have a couple of questions so i can give myself an idea how best to approach one, particularity setting the game up.

1. My laptop says i shouldnt exceed 75k players. Would it slow it the game or laptop down if went over that?

2. Has anyone had much experience with the add/remove league function? Because i was thinking for my journeyman career. Maybe loading up all the small and obscure countries. Building my reputation up in them. Then moving onto the larger countries, i.e Spain, Italy etc. My laptop wouldnt be able to handle loading up all the leagues/countires i wanted to play in. So i would have to add and remove leagues once my rep grow, so i could further my career.

Thanks in advance

Check out Azeryk's thread, he's been doing pretty much that.

As for adding in more players than recommended, it will inevitably slow your game down as there's more data to process. I'd go with some key leagues that you load from the start - the big four/five in Europe and maybe Brazil and Argentina, and maybe use the add/remove to colour around this with smaller leagues that you might like to manage in. Like start with a couple of Scandinavian or Eastern european ones, then Holland or Portugal as your rep rises.

I really like it! Then I loved FM10 and 11 too. I think FM09>FM10 was the biggest leap forward the series has taken in a long long time. I think I've enjoyed the game far more since boycotting GD :D

I think I've enjoyed the game far more since boycotting GD :D

facebook-like-buton.png

Check out Azeryk's thread, he's been doing pretty much that.

As for adding in more players than recommended, it will inevitably slow your game down as there's more data to process. I'd go with some key leagues that you load from the start - the big four/five in Europe and maybe Brazil and Argentina, and maybe use the add/remove to colour around this with smaller leagues that you might like to manage in. Like start with a couple of Scandinavian or Eastern european ones, then Holland or Portugal as your rep rises.

Thanks for the info SnakeXe. Thats what i thought with going over the recommend amount of players. Im sure an extra 5k or 10k wouldnt make to much difference though. I had a read of Azeryk's thread and yeah its very similar to want i want to do.

Im trying to find the starting league/country reputations for all the countries in the game. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

hows everyone finding fm12 then?

I finding it quite easy at the minute but I'm not sure if that's because of the league I'm playing in. I've gone from the Evo-Stik First Division to the Blue Square Premier quite easily and am hoping that it gets a little more difficult now I'm at level 5.

Whether it's difficult in other countries I'm not sure as I've not had chance to play there yet.

Im wanting to start a journeyman career. Im normally a one club man. Take a lower league club to as high as i can get them. So im a little unsure how to approach a journeyman save. I have a couple of questions so i can give myself an idea how best to approach one, particularity setting the game up.

1. My laptop says i shouldnt exceed 75k players. Would it slow it the game or laptop down if went over that?

2. Has anyone had much experience with the add/remove league function? Because i was thinking for my journeyman career. Maybe loading up all the small and obscure countries. Building my reputation up in them. Then moving onto the larger countries, i.e Spain, Italy etc. My laptop wouldnt be able to handle loading up all the leagues/countires i wanted to play in. So i would have to add and remove leagues once my rep grow, so i could further my career.

Thanks in advance

I was added all leagues (plus many custom ones and total 112 nation) and All Players whom available in the game in custom database (using nationality/continent option) ... It gave me around 373749 players... 127156 staff and 79719 team. My recomendation was 125000 players (I have intel i7)

Game is slowing down yes really and risk for crash dumps are higher but if you have 4gb ram or more (which FM is 32 bit program and cannot use more than 3,67gb ram) you can safely play with all players...

1 important issue and i want to shout... "If you want to add all real players don't tick add players to playable teams" option. Because It could give you more than 450000 players and even I didn't want to get this risk

hows everyone finding fm12 then?

On FM11 I won the BSS, BSP and League 2 in consecutive seasons. So I'm very happy to be in my 7th season and had 1 promotion! It is much better than 11 for me. Especially with the lock on the contracts, I'm a very tight manager!

I'm enjoying it. The jump from C1 to C2 isn't massive, but the jump from C1 to B is HUGE

You know your team has played poor when you lose a game and it doesn't even show injury time :D

RIP Gary Speed. I've been through too much of this as a hockey fan over the summer... :(

I really hope something can be done in terms of mental illness and football (and as well as other sports)...this culture has to change.

RIP Gary Speed. I've been through too much of this as a hockey fan over the summer... :(

Amen to this. RIP Gary.

Was in total shock when it was announced on sky sports. RIP Gary Speed.

Same here, I was watching SSN as it was announced and the feeling inside you is indescribable. It's a massive loss to football.

GS2.jpg

Same here, I was watching SSN as it was announced and the feeling inside you is indescribable. It's a massive loss to football.

GS2.jpg

Absolutely! I have so may fond memories of watching him play in that Leeds United team of the nineties. Will be sorely missed :(.

Absolutely! I have so may fond memories of watching him play in that Leeds United team of the nineties. Will be sorely missed :(.

He wasn't at Sheffield United for to long but he definitely had quality both as a player and a manager. If he didn't leave for Wales we wouldn't have gone down, he really did know what he was doing.

I think it hurts me more because of the great job he was doing with our national side aswell..Sounds sad i know but Welsh football hasnt been good recently till he took over

I think it hurts me more because of the great job he was doing with our national side aswell..Sounds sad i know but Welsh football hasnt been good recently till he took over

I am a patriotic Englishman but had huge respect for Gary Speed. No offence to the Welsh, but anyone who takes Wales to 4 wins out of 5 internationally is clearly doing something right. His progress is summed up in the two wales performances against England. Toothless in Cardiff, but a lot better and unlucky to lose at Wembley. he will be sadly missed.

Really great memories of his time at Newcastle. He had a great knack of bursting into the box just as a cross was coming in, had a great leap and was deadly accurate as well. Really knocked me off balance when I heard.

As an Everton fan I have good memories of him, wish he had been at the club longer. Was at work when I heard and it knocked me for six. One of the rare breed of footballers where I think almost all fans, of all clubs, appreciated the kind of person/footballer he was. A sad loss and my thoughts are with his family.

R.I.P Gary Speed

Have to agree with everything said above. Such a tragic loss for football, and the world as a whole. Was watching him on football focus the day before, and would never have seen it coming, not in a million years.

R.I.P Gary Speed, YNWA.

Does anyone else use imgur to upload screenshots? And if so, are you having problems with it today?

*Warning this post main contain Minecraft elements, if not interested please ignore*

Ok I am creating a Multiplayer map in Minecraft where you race to collect wool from chests in the style of Vechs (Vechs maps)

Basically I need guys to test it and I was wondering if anyone would be up for it, it's not quite finished but if you want to then just drop me a PM and I will get back to you :)

Some rules and a teaser: http://illogicalgaming.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36

Insurmountable technical issues. Might get another copy by not immediately.

Now that we've had FM12 in our mits for over six weeks now, what's everyone's opinion on the overall difficulty level?

If I'm being honest, I think it's a lot easier than previous reincarnations. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot to love about this game, but I do feel that the level of challenge has been tamed down somewhat. In my current journeyman save, I've already achieved two back-to-back promotion, and now with Fulham, I'm having unbelievable success in my first season in the Premier League. Having played FM/CM for 15 years, I'm no donut when it comes setting up tactics, and I know what instructions will get the best out of my players, but I'm certainly not some tactical genius, and don't spend hours adjusting sliders to a fine detail. Going from the BSS to Premier League in six seasons is a lot quicker than I would have expected too, normally this would take me about ten. And it's not as if I use 3rd party add-ons either, or download tactics, I don't even use the player search; I work everything out for myself, and rely 100% on my scouts reports before determining whether to sign a player or not. Perhaps it due to the match engine being the same as last years? Perhaps I've just been very lucky?

I know I could make things harder for myself by restricting myself to home-grown players or managing in some obscure country, but I've never had to do any of this in the past. Playing a journeyman career is my favoured approach to FM, one of which I've always enjoyed immensely, but it feels like I might have to enforce some restrictions on myself to try and make things a bit harder, and prolong the challenge of the game.

I'm wondering if this is the general consensus from the FMCU community too, or is it just me? From reading the several excellent threads on the forums, it appears I'm not the only one who is enjoying a lot of success very early on their careers. I'm not really having a moan either, I still love the game and I'm still going to plough on with my career, but I'm just wondering if I need to start taking a different approach to things.

I'd be interested in your opinions :)

It is a lot easier, no doubt but one I welcome as I struggled with previous versions that were quite tough. I say that as someone who has played every single Sports Interactive game since CM 1992/93. I will add though, that we still have some way to go to be as easy as those early games. I remember starting with Torquay and winning the Premier League within 4 seasons. Winning Serie A within 2 seasons in CM Italia. So whilst it is easier, it is still not that easy for some, myself included.

This year is a lot more enjoyable for me, primarily because I have discovered this FMCU Forum. I genuinely love reading the threads and people's games, not least yours AK22. :)

It has definitely felt easier to me this year, although I played a very different type of game last year so I've not got a lot to compare it to.

I've not bought FM12, but from reading many career threads and the general feedback it certainly looks to be easier. Unfortunate that, as it quickly gets boring when you get success handed to you with little effort or struggle.

Back-to-back promotions should be a freak of nature. But now it seems to happen too frequently, even from League 1 to the PL which has typically been much more difficult than say BSS to League 2.

I really do hope this is sorted in a future patch, even if GQ goes into über-rant mode (or a higher-pitched über-rant mode than usual ;))

Probably a bit easier, but not by masses, have had better and longer consistent patches on previous FM's so how I'm doing is far from groundbreaking even for me, just sticking a bit more than usual in the positive.

I suppose one of the things SI have taken a bit of stick for recently is the fact that the game is not particularly 'user-friendly' to new players anymore. To help balance this, I'd imagine they have made it a bit easier to achieve early success in your career, just to keep the casual player's initial interests. I'm sure some people are unlikely to 'buy-in' to the franchise if they are unable to get some degree of instance success, and just give up on the game.

It will certainly be interesting to see if any tweaks are made in the future patches, as there does seem to be quite a lot of feedback on this matter in the GD forum :shudder:. I do tend to take most things in there with a pinch of salt, and I'm not going to scour all sixteen pages of the thread, but there is more than a smattering of people who agree that it's on the easy side.

Unfortunately for SI, they can never win. There will always be several 'characters' who will criticise the game for being impossible/unrealistic/unfair, as their Man City side got beaten by Stoke, which totally ruined their lives forever (obviously!) ;)

Unfortunately for SI, they can never win. There will always be several 'characters' who will criticise the game for being impossible/unrealistic/unfair, as their Man City side got beaten by Stoke, which totally ruined their lives forever (obviously!) ;)

Somebody's lives just got ruined.

Luton pulled off an even bigger shocker.

:D

(After 30 games, City are 6 points clear at the top, Arsenal 3rd 9 behind)

To me it doesn't really "feel" easier at all.

Then again, success has come a bit faster in my current career compared to previous versions (though nothing hugely unrealistic), and with so much buzz about it I suppose the "smoke is fire" principle applies.

I certainly can't put my finger on what it is that makes it easier, though, and I'm enjoying the game a lot.

I also feel like this version is a little bit easier than years past, if only because team talks are easier, and maintaining morale is the most crucial element (it seems) to success. Once you get on a roll, it's hard to be stopped. I mean, back-to-back Champions League wins with Sparta Prague is great, likewise for a World Cup win with Russia, but I can't imagine having achieved this in past versions of FM.