Sports Interactive Community
dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

My thread isn't enough to vent my frustration. Anyone else here ever managed to lose 4 promotion playoffs in a career spanning 14 seasons? :mad:

Yes, possibly even more.

Thanks Deisler. I thought you might say that!

Having said that, I find it strange how some English FMers really don't like playing in England on FM. Never tempted by a bit of Non-League? ;) Or maybe even managing Arsenal, your favourite club?

Definitely no interest in taking over Arsenal, they do well enough without me. As for non-league, maybe when Stevenage were there, but now, not really.

Ok Crouchy, here's the iacovone LOW DOWN:

1. You will load Italy down to C2.
  2. Your first job will be in Italy but you'll start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible
  3. You will NOT have an alter ego - you will be Crouchaldinho, an Englishman taking a sabbatical in Italy that turns into a job offer. More than plausible
  4. You will set a challenge at each club you go to. You are not allowed to leave unless that challenge is complete or you receive an obscenely good offer elsewhere.
  5. You will take full advantage of your new computer and load at least 15 nations from the start
  6. You will ensure that England, India, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Sweden are loaded (minimum)
  7. You will load England only down to the 4th tier (or not until you have a job in Italy - this was a problem for me on FM11, you are overlooked for anything other than 5th/6th tier jobs in England or suitably woeful reputable leagues such as South Africa)
  8. You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain ;)
  9. Most importantly (and I know you of all people will adhere to this), play the game realistically and at your own pace. By this I mean, take a job that would be as close to a realistic career move as possible. i.e. if a club is doubling your money, you'd take it. If the club are in the Champions League year after year, you'd probably take it. But don't jump ship at the very sight of a job offer. If you have a good thing going, I'd hope you'd reject approaches until that stage of your time at said club is complete or over.
  10. FINALLY get a goddam career thread started. This will compel you to keep us updated. And having that kind of pressure will make you play your file even through the spiky early days of adjusting to FM12.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too condescending (I feel like I can post in this style to you only really!) but I'm as desperate as you are to see you get into a file and find your passion for FM again. Some of the above might be useful, it might not be, but it might kick you into gear :p

Look forward to seeing you start :thup:

2. Your first job will be in Italy but you'll start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible
  3. You will NOT have an alter ego - you will be Crouchaldinho, an Englishman taking a sabbatical in Italy that turns into a job offer. More than plausible
  4. You will set a challenge at each club you go to. You are not allowed to leave unless that challenge is complete or you receive an obscenely good offer elsewhere.
  5. You will take full advantage of your new computer and load at least 15 nations from the start
  6. You will ensure that England, India, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Sweden are loaded (minimum)
  7. You will load England only down to the 4th tier (or not until you have a job in Italy - this was a problem for me on FM11, you are overlooked for anything other than 5th/6th tier jobs in England or suitably woeful reputable leagues such as South Africa)
  8. You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain ;)
  9. Most importantly (and I know you of all people will adhere to this), play the game realistically and at your own pace. By this I mean, take a job that would be as close to a realistic career move as possible. i.e. if a club is doubling your money, you'd take it. If the club are in the Champions League year after year, you'd probably take it. But don't jump ship at the very sight of a job offer. If you have a good thing going, I'd hope you'd reject approaches until that stage of your time at said club is complete or over.
  10. FINALLY get a goddam career thread started. This will compel you to keep us updated. And having that kind of pressure will make you play your file even through the spiky early days of adjusting to FM12.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too condescending (I feel like I can post in this style to you only really!) but I'm as desperate as you are to see you get into a file and find your passion for FM again. Some of the above might be useful, it might not be, but it might kick you into gear :p

If this place had a like button on posts I would click it for this.

facebook_like_button1.pngI agree with the post

[*]You will load Italy down to C2.

[*]Your first job will be in Italy but you'll start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible

[*]You will NOT have an alter ego - you will be Crouchaldinho, an Englishman taking a sabbatical in Italy that turns into a job offer. More than plausible

[*]You will set a challenge at each club you go to. You are not allowed to leave unless that challenge is complete or you receive an obscenely good offer elsewhere.

What about if I get the sack? :p

Loving it so far!

[*]You will take full advantage of your new computer and load at least 15 nations from the start

[*]You will ensure that England, India, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Sweden are loaded (minimum)

[*]You will load England only down to the 4th tier (or not until you have a job in Italy - this was a problem for me on FM11, you are overlooked for anything other than 5th/6th tier jobs in England or suitably woeful reputable leagues such as South Africa)

[*]You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain

Really like this last one. Has to be done! :thup:

[*]Most importantly (and I know you of all people will adhere to this), play the game realistically and at your own pace. By this I mean, take a job that would be as close to a realistic career move as possible. i.e. if a club is doubling your money, you'd take it. If the club are in the Champions League year after year, you'd probably take it. But don't jump ship at the very sight of a job offer. If you have a good thing going, I'd hope you'd reject approaches until that stage of your time at said club is complete or over.

Absolutely.

[*]FINALLY get a goddam career thread started. This will compel you to keep us updated. And having that kind of pressure will make you play your file even through the spiky early days of adjusting to FM12.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too condescending (I feel like I can post in this style to you only really!) but I'm as desperate as you are to see you get into a file and find your passion for FM again. Some of the above might be useful, it might not be, but it might kick you into gear

Not at all condescending. The Iacovone 'low down' is just what I needed! ;)

Thanks for this post. It has helped immeasurably! :D

Hey Crouchy! I picked up a copy of Calcio today. Hopefully, it will inspire me to run an Italian career when the (first?) second patch comes out!

Imagine if we all took a career as Crouchy in Serie C2, in a Sparticus/Brian kind of way...

When you aint in this place for more than a month, it's intimidating to come back due to all the new threads that just pop up :D

Hey Crouchy! I picked up a copy of Calcio today. Hopefully, it will inspire me to run an Italian career when the (first?) second patch comes out!

Calcio is one of the best football books I've ever read. If you have a penchant for Italian football you'll love it Deisler

I started my career last night as manager of AS Magenta in New Caledonia, the players are horrendous but my side does have a newgen striker called David Hay got to be plenty of puns in there. Loaded as many leagues as I could find from Oceania and will hopefully make my way to New Zealand and then to one of the nations I add later on.

[*]You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain ;)

Freaky coincidence, that's been my bedtime reading this week.

It's great isn't it? And obviously called "Behind the Curtain", poor typo from myself there :D

As Iacovone says, Calcio is a fantastic read. Glad you picked it up and I would recommend it to anyone else on here who likes their football books too.

Calcio is one of the best football books I've ever read. If you have a penchant for Italian football you'll love it Deisler

What are the others, out of interest Iacovone?

If there is some interest, maybe we could have a discussion thread on FMCU about football books that might inspire careers on FM!

I started my career last night as manager of AS Magenta in New Caledonia, the players are horrendous but my side does have a newgen striker called David Hay got to be plenty of puns in there. Loaded as many leagues as I could find from Oceania and will hopefully make my way to New Zealand and then to one of the nations I add later on.

Nice one AB! Good luck! :thup:

It's great isn't it? And obviously called "Behind the Curtain", poor typo from myself there :D

Agreed, it's a great book.

Have either of you read Jonathan Wilson's recent offering, The Anatomy of England: A History in Ten Matches? I have it but I haven't got around to reading it yet.

If there is some interest, maybe we could have a discussion thread on FMCU about football books that might inspire careers on FM!

That would be great.

What are the others, out of interest Iacovone?

Have either of you read Jonathan Wilson's recent offering, The Anatomy of England: A History in Ten Matches? I have it but I haven't got around to reading it yet.

I've read a couple of great football books in the last month. Vertigo by John Crace and Paul Lake's autobiography. I'm not usually a big fan of autobiographies, but his is truly great. I'd recommend it to anyone. Vertigo holds much more appeal to Spurs fan as Mr Crace is one himself but I think any football fan can relate to the emotions and stress being a fan can provoke. Crace writes very well (as you'd expect being a writer) and it really is a nice easy read.

Other than those two, I enjoyed "Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life" by Alex Bellow. It's about 75% football related but 25% about the Brazilian culture and how football ties into their way of life. It's particularly interesting with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on the horizon.

Finally - I have a book I'm yet to start called "Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev" by Andy Dougan. It tracks the rebirth of the great 1939 Dynamo Kiev side who were captured by the Germans in WW2. They reformed as FC Start and it's a kind of historical recount of the story. Looks very interesting.

As for Jonathan Wilson - I haven't read that. I'd debated buying it but haven't got round to it yet. The National team aren't my favorite topic at the moment... I'm very excited about his next release - a book on Brian Clough due out in the coming months I believe. That's all for now :D

Nope. What I've read from Wilson is "Inverting the Pyramid", top stuff for us FM tactic nerds. Better than "Behind The Curtain" I reckon. Wondering if I should order his new Clough biography, but the sheer weight of it is putting me off, over 600 pages. :eek:

Nope. What I've read from Wilson is "Inverting the Pyramid", top stuff for us FM tactic nerds. Better than "Behind The Curtain" I reckon. Wondering if I should order his new Clough biography, but the sheer weight of it is putting me off, over 600 pages. :eek:

Yes, Inverting is pretty awesome. :thup:

Didn't even know about the Clough biography! Will take a look now. :)

I assume people are subscribed to The Blizzard as well?

Damn, I totally forgot about this. I think I've probably missed an issue. Ah, yeah, looks like an issue with Gianni Brera discussed as well. :eek: Must get it!

Might well get the digital version, actually. A bit cheaper and I have an Iliad e-reader.

I assume people are subscribed to The Blizzard as well?

Yep. Good stuff too, of course being from various authors some articles are going to be more interesting than others, but it's usually highly entertaining.

Yeah I get the digital version for my Kindle, I get through a couple of articles a day on the bus. I've not read Inverting the Pyramid yet but I definitely would like to - might have to ask the missus for it for Xmas!

My favourite football book I've read was Sir Bob's autobiography. The warmth of the man just shines though, fantastic. I'm glad I read it before he passed as well, might get a bit emotional if I read it now - massive respect for the man, a true gent and his passion for the game was unmatched.

I've read a couple of great football books in the last month. Vertigo by John Crace and Paul Lake's autobiography. I'm not usually a big fan of autobiographies, but his is truly great. I'd recommend it to anyone. Vertigo holds much more appeal to Spurs fan as Mr Crace is one himself but I think any football fan can relate to the emotions and stress being a fan can provoke. Crace writes very well (as you'd expect being a writer) and it really is a nice easy read.

Other than those two, I enjoyed "Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life" by Alex Bellow. It's about 75% football related but 25% about the Brazilian culture and how football ties into their way of life. It's particularly interesting with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on the horizon.

I've read the Brazilian one, some time ago now. I remember it was an interesting read. I've not read the other two books though.

The next football book I will read will probably be Ian Ridley's book (the St. Albans City chairman).

See here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theres-Golden-Sky-Premier-football/dp/1408130408/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320618188&sr=1-1

Finally - I have a book I'm yet to start called "Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev" by Andy Dougan. It tracks the rebirth of the great 1939 Dynamo Kiev side who were captured by the Germans in WW2. They reformed as FC Start and it's a kind of historical recount of the story. Looks very interesting.

Sounds good. :thup:

As for Jonathan Wilson - I haven't read that. I'd debated buying it but haven't got round to it yet. The National team aren't my favorite topic at the moment... I'm very excited about his next release - a book on Brian Clough due out in the coming months I believe. That's all for now :D

Yeah, I'm definitely up for this new Clough book. I'll be getting that, for sure. Sounds amazing.

BTW, I currently have Calcio and Behind the Curtain sitting next to me at the moment, for FM career inspiration! :D

Yeah I get the digital version for my Kindle, I get through a couple of articles a day on the bus. I've not read Inverting the Pyramid yet but I definitely would like to - might have to ask the missus for it for Xmas!

My favourite football book I've read was Sir Bob's autobiography. The warmth of the man just shines though, fantastic. I'm glad I read it before he passed as well, might get a bit emotional if I read it now - massive respect for the man, a true gent and his passion for the game was unmatched.

You have to get Inverting. Absolutely have to! You'll love it, my friend!

The posts in here have persuaded me to order Inverting the Pyramid :D. Sounds like a great read judging by the reviews on amazon.

Going to have a look at some of the other books mentioned in here as well.

I know we can't say too much about this, but has anyone else noticed the return of the 'Grey Germans' in their save? I definitely 'fixed' this before I started my save. Not a huge issue I know, as it's unlikely that I'll be their national coach anyway, but it is irritating me. I think its only happened since the last update.

I know we can't say too much about this, but has anyone else noticed the return of the 'Grey Germans' in their save? I definitely 'fixed' this before I started my save. Not a huge issue I know, as it's unlikely that I'll be their national coach anyway, but it is irritating me. I think its only happened since the last update.

I know and I forgot to 'fix' it before the 2014 World Cup... :mad:

I've read the Brazilian one, some time ago now. I remember it was an interesting read. I've not read the other two books though.

The next football book I will read will probably be Ian Ridley's book (the St. Albans City chairman).

See here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theres-Golden-Sky-Premier-football/dp/1408130408/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320618188&sr=1-1

Sounds good. :thup:

Yeah, I'm definitely up for this new Clough book. I'll be getting that, for sure. Sounds amazing.

BTW, I currently have Calcio and Behind the Curtain sitting next to me at the moment, for FM career inspiration! :D

I have Behind the Iron Curtain near me but Calcio's upstairs I think. I did forget one book that I'm making slow but steady progress through.

"The Ball is Round" by David Goldblatt. It's basically the history of football in 900 pages. An absolute beast of a book and such an impressive undertaking. As I said though, making slow progress...

Damn. I 'fixed' it before I started too. That's really irritating. Is there a way to fix it mid-save? That will really bug me otherwise

Damn. I 'fixed' it before I started too. That's really irritating. Is there a way to fix it mid-save? That will really bug me otherwise

Check your PM iacovone.

Rancer, I have the same question if you have a bit of magic. I've taken to maintaining a spreadsheet that maps the grey players to the real ones, but it's a lot of work for not a lot of payoff, and career totals are all wrong. Grrrr.

Check your PM iacovone.

Is there any chance I could get a copy of that PM? The 'issue' kind of destroyed my reporting of the 2014 WC...

I read this a while back, and would recommend it to anyone. Absolutely superb, very well researched and written :thup:

Would you mind forwarding that to me too? :)

Actually, I think I've 'fixed' it again myself. Just need to wait for the next international call-ups to check :)

I have Behind the Iron Curtain near me but Calcio's upstairs I think. I did forget one book that I'm making slow but steady progress through.

"The Ball is Round" by David Goldblatt. It's basically the history of football in 900 pages. An absolute beast of a book and such an impressive undertaking. As I said though, making slow progress...

Yeah, I love the Goldblatt book. I mostly dip in and out of it.

Reading it from page to page is one serious undertaking Iacovone! It's absolutely huge and encyclopaedic.

To be honest, Calcio is my first step into football books. As much as I love FM, my interest in football in general has waned somewhat in the last 5-6 years. But I will pick up 'Inverting the Pyramid' and 'Behind The Curtain'

Sent you all something. :D

Thanks a lot rancer, much appreciated! Wouldn't have expected anything less from FMCU Poster of the Year though :D

Hey guys,

So far on FM12, I've rekindled my love for 'small to big club challenges' over in CSE but I still feel the lure of FMCU.... No time to run a full-on journeyman alongside a challenge save though so I've decided to make my FMCU 'bit on the side' an international management career game. :D Found a thread in the Editors' Hideaway full of additional competitions (regional African and Asian championships plus a few youth championships) - once the remaining comps are added, I'll get my 'International Journeyman' career on the road. :thup: