dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,934 posts in this topic

slightly different topic to what is being discussed above but...

Do you know if you can manage a team twice. What i mean is can i resign and then a few years later apply and get the same job or is it coded into the game so that you can't do that?

What the hell is Fantastic (ironic name) going on about?! Put your toys back in your pram and show some respect to one of the forum greats!!! :D

slightly different topic to what is being discussed above but...

Do you know if you can manage a team twice. What i mean is can i resign and then a few years later apply and get the same job or is it coded into the game so that you can't do that?

I've seen Mancini get rehired by Inter and sacked again so if AI can be rehired then Human Players should be able to!

I've seen Mancini get rehired by Inter and sacked again so if AI can be rehired then Human Players should be able to!

ok thanks it was just a random thought of mine. Could do a Kevin Keegan style return to Newcastle kind of thing.

What the hell is Fantastic (ironic name) going on about?! Put your toys back in your pram and show some respect to one of the forum greats!!! :D

Please stop assuming this me getting angry or upset over something as trivial as someone not being able to find the motivation to play a computer game. I respect people who earn it.

Please stop assuming this me getting angry or upset over something as trivial as someone not being able to find the motivation to play a computer game. I respect people who earn it.

Well its how youve come across mate

As I understand it, the game initially adds you as a 'disliked' person when you leave a job but on a temporary basis so that it will disappear over time. This usually prevents you from leaving a job and then getting it again straight away. This is how it has worked in the past and I can't imagine it has changed for FM12.

International jobs can be a bit different. In past versions, it has been extremely unlikely (in my experience) that you could get a second go at an International team, although I believe Dafuge did manage this once(?). This might well have changed though because International management has been a bit bugged in recent versions.

At club level though, I'm sure you can get the same job twice with a gap in between. Dafuge managed this in his career last year. I haven't done it myself but, on FM10, I remember being offered a job that I had already had in the past in one of my saves, so it is possible.

As I understand it, the game initially adds you as a 'disliked' person when you leave a job but on a temporary basis so that it will disappear over time. This usually prevents you from leaving a job and then getting it again straight away. This is how it has worked in the past and I can't imagine it has changed for FM12.

International jobs can be a bit different. In past versions, it has been extremely unlikely (in my experience) that you could get a second go at an International team, although I believe Dafuge did manage this once(?). This might well have changed though because International Management has been a bit bugged in recent versions.

At club level though, I'm sure you can get the same job twice with a gap in between. Dafuge managed this in his career last year. I haven't done it myself but, on FM10, I remember being offered a job that I had already had in the past in one of my saves, so it is possible.

ok thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense :)

Crouchy maybe you could have a go in South America if you want to work on the tactical side of the game... :D

Just load all leagues (or whatever reaches your player limit) and try an unemployed career game and dive into the unknown. And set some goals, it'll help out a lot to keep going.

Thanks Rancer. I think I will load a decent number of different leagues to try out now that I have the computer to do so. I do intend to start unemployed and at the bottom. :thup:

I'll probably start something similar to SnakeXe and Iacovone, to be honest.

I can just about remember India, I thought of attempting rancers challenge with an Indian team.

I had a lot of fun in India, although this was back on FM08.

I completed a season or two in India on FM10 (with Vasco) but I had my Saints save, the Calcio one and Fabio Crouchello going, so I was busy with those! :D

India is great fun for a long-term challenge. I've always wanted to do one of those long-term saves where you work on club and country. You know, try to bring through the best players from that country and eventually manage the national team too. I imagine it would be a pretty big challenge in India given the national team's current ranking!

But I'll probably focus on a journeyman career save this time around. I'm a bit like Dafuge was when he started FM11 in that I feel I've done the small club to big club thing a great deal, and I'm ready for a change for my next save.

This talk of India is tempting me. I have just started a new career. Good damn you all! :p

I have India loaded on my save, might have to pop over there one day to see what the fuss is about :p

This talk of India is tempting me. I have just started a new career. Good damn you all! :p
I have India loaded on my save, might have to pop over there one day to see what the fuss is about :p

Expect poor players, no money, little interest from foreign footballers, appalling football at times, and a challenge to make any progress against the bigger clubs due to their overwhelming financial advantage and much superior gates. In other words, it's a lot of fun. :D

Crouchy did you not read about me in the lower leagues of Iceland. It makes the BSP look like the EPL :|

I've gone back twice, once on FM10 (to Albacete) and once on FM11 (to Leiria)

You really have to become either an Icon or Legend to be able to go back, in my experience.

Yeah, I did read your adventures in Iceland.

I suspect starting out in Iceland is probably a similar level to India, in terms of player quality.

It really is. At the start a player with 3 stats 10+ is amazing for the league.

Just got a quick question, does anyone know why I am not allowed to upload images? I'd love to have screenshots and stuff put onto the posts but it wont allow me, says I haven't got the rights or something? So I currently use links to Photobucket but I'd much rather have some images on the actual posts.

It really is. At the start a player with 3 stats 10+ is amazing for the league.

That's amazing in the Malaysian and the HK league!

I completed a season or two in India on FM10 (with Vasco) but I had my Saints save, the Calcio one and Fabio Crouchello going, so I was busy with those! :D

Ahhhh, Vasco in India - one of my all time favourite clubs, thanks to FM. I've had long term games with them in FM10 and FM11 and I even visited them already in my FM12 journeyman career! I did even get to the point in FM11 of managing India as well, but I didn't manage to develop the national team too far.

I've actually found that if you can find the right players, it's not too hard to take a newly promoted team into the upper reaches of Indian domestic football - but it's a whole different matter taking them much further than that. You can eventually get some half-decent African and Brazilians (half decent as in - would never cut it in any European/South American league but way better than what's on offer domestically) but due to foreigner restrictions you're forced to mostly build your team around Indian players.

I'm getting all misty-eyed and reminiscent just thinking about it! :p

Sorry for the double post - just to prove the awesomeness of Vasco SC, this is from the club's website:

The predominantly black jersey worn by players in away fixtures signifies darkness, evil and ignorance. The white sash running across from left shoulder to right hip signifies a ray of light that obliterates darkness and evil and brings enlightenment, learning and civilization.

At the heart of the white sash is the famous cross, which in the darkness and ignorance of away venues brings light and with it hope, learning and enlightenment.

The home kit is in the reverse and signifies that the away team is brining darkness and ignorance to the club’s ground that is already bathed in enlightenment and hope. The Cross of the Military order will vanquish and subjugate the visiting powers of evil.

Players and opponents alike bear testament to an ‘unknown’ force that seizes Vasco Sports Club players and propels them to perform better than they thought possible.

Rancer these teams enter into the CL :p

Malaysian and HK teams can enter the AFC Champions League through reaching the Final in the AFC Cup, otherwise no.

Right, I should have some spare time for FMing this evening and this weekend generally, so I'm hoping to start a proper FM12 save. I have a basic plan in mind but I'd like to hear your opinions, fellow FMCUers, especially as I'm struggling to make up my mind about certain things. If all goes well with this save initially, I hope to start a new career thread. :)

The basics are that I want to start a journeyman save, given that I now have a decent spec computer with which to load leagues (i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz and 8GB RAM).

I think I've decided to load something like the following:

EUROPE: Denmark, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden.

AFRICA: South Africa.

ASIA: Perhaps India and one other (?). Need Rancer's help!

NORTH AMERICA: Mexico.

SOUTH AMERICA: Argentina.

So, first question is for Rancer: which other Asian leagues would you recommend loading? I'm going to be sticking with the out of the box, 'vanilla' leagues, most likely, unless their is a compelling and intriguing suggestion from you guys to do the opposite!

Also, I'd appreciate any other advice from anyone who wants to tell me which other leagues I should load and why! :D

I realise that I can add and remove leagues in the future, so it's maybe not so important at the start on this new FM, but I want to get the bare bones of my set-up sorted from the start.

Moving on to the main dilemma now. This mainly concerns my ideas of where I start out in my managerial career. I will be playing a journeyman save, starting in one of the bottom playable divisions as a 'Sunday League' reputation manager, and attempting to move from club to club and eventually trying to make it to the big time. I have two ideas of the narrative I would like to take in my save, as follows.

1) 'Non-League to the Champions League' - I'll download Uncle Ron's edited database and start out on my managerial adventure at Step 4. The idea will be to start out my career in Non-League football and initially to build some sort of reputation in English football before I move abroad, rather like SnakeXe is doing in his current save, or Dafuge did last year.

2) 'Crouchy's Lessons in Calcio' - I will start out my career in Italian football at a Serie C2 club and build my initial reputation in Italy before moving abroad, hopefully to apply some of the lessons from calcio that I will have learnt along the way!

So you see, it really only has an effect on the initial part of my save, the foundation of my managerial adventure! In the long-term, my intention would be to move around into different countries anyway and I do eventually want to go outside my comfort zone on this save and try some new places for me personally.

On the one hand, I'm very tempted by the Non-League start, as I love Non-League football and I'm intrigued by trying out Uncle Ron's update. It would also allow me the opportunity to manage some other English clubs that I have a soft spot for, as normally I nearly always manage St. Albans City. Starting in England would mean 'earning' a move abroad.

On the other hand, the Italian leagues are my home away from home on FM. I had such fun on FM10 with my Calcio Journeyman save. Italy tends to be more tactically interesting, even at the bottom, than England is, which would mean more experimentation. It also takes me away from my usual stomping ground of Non-League clubs, which I've maybe done quite a lot over the years. I would effectively start higher up in Italy but I would make it more difficult initially by playing as myself (an Englishman) therefore allowing a greater difficulty at the start as I learn the language etc. Having said that, I was tempted to create an Italian alter-ego or maybe use one of my old players, a bit like Iacovone does in his games. I'm not sure about this!

I decided to make a list of pros and cons.

'Non-League to the Champions League'

PROS:

- Get to use Uncle Ron's database edit

- Step 4 could be a real challenge as a starting point

- My usual favourite stomping ground - I love Non-League football

- I could manage some lower league clubs in England that I've always wanted to try whilst I build my reputation

CONS:

- Too much in my comfort zone?

- Tactical variety won't be as interesting (mostly 4-4-2!)

- It always feels a bit wrong starting in Non-League football when I'm not managing my favourite club!

'Crouchy's Lessons in Calcio'

PROS:

- More potential for tactical experimentation

- I enjoy managing in Italy

- Chances of a return to Hellas Verona (a favourite club for me on FM) are possible

- I could keep my game vanilla in terms of edited leagues

CONS:

- Start at a higher level (C2) than I would do in England effectively

- I want to play as myself (an Englishman in Italy) so realism issues in my mind (maybe I could be like the managerial equivalent of an intrepid Brian Glanville? :D Or maybe an alter-ego or ex-player?)

- Would potentially miss out on a couple of interesting lower league jobs in England

Not sure which to go for right now. I'm leaning towards Calcio, though, I think, maybe, sort of, kind of.........................

Any opinions or ideas will be gratefully received! :D

With all of those leagues loaded just start unemployed and go where ever you get offered a job first.

With all of those leagues loaded just start unemployed and go where ever you get offered a job first.

Call me strange AB, but I like to have a clear narrative in my head before I go into a save. It helps me to get into it and to stick with it during the initial stages.

I'd load South Korea Crouchy, definitely a fun league imo.

Yeah, that was the one I was leaning towards.

I've got China, Australia, India and South Korea loaded in Asia. Couldn't really recommend any of them as I've been nowhere near, as you know!

I think you'd probably enjoy the Calcio one, playing as an alter-ego. Or another twist is starting off as an Italian in the English basement - Catenaccio for Tiverton Town?

Go for the Calcio. I love reading about non-UK careers!

Crouchy, I'll go with South Korea, China, and Hong Kong. Firstly, because South Korea and China each have 4 teams who enter the ACL (and gives you a more realistic chance of winning it). As for HK, it's because I'm just from there :D, and it's a fun little league to manage in.

And also because I usually load leagues together in which dual nationalities are common (like China/HK, USA/Mexico). If you asked me Crouchy, I would obviously say start in Asia... ;)

Bar Australia and India I have managed in all the other countries for at least a couple seasons so if you want any assistance in any of them then ask away.

Call me strange AB, but I like to have a clear narrative in my head before I go into a save. It helps me to get into it and to stick with it during the initial stages.

You are slightly strange lol but I get what you mean.

All those leagues all those continents are you going to try and win every champions league?

I would like to second, or third, or whatever number we're up to, South Korea, had a lot of fun there - and I'm glad you're already set on loading up India! :thup: Personally I'd like to see you do the Calcio version - I think it's just a little more interesting initially, which is important if you're expecting the two versions to effectively converge after a few years. But I'll follow either one! :thup:

My thread isn't enough to vent my frustration. Anyone else here ever managed to lose 4 promotion playoffs in a career spanning 14 seasons? :mad:

Crouchy, I would say start your career outside of Europe (South Korea, perhaps?) and work you on to the continent, where you can then lead a team to club glory!

My thread isn't enough to vent my frustration. Anyone else here ever managed to lose 4 promotion playoffs in a career spanning 14 seasons? :mad:

Ive lost in the play-offs two seasons running if thats any help :D

I have so I know how you're feeling. No consolation to you I know but at least you know you're not alone! :D;)

I have just found a club in India that I want to start a career with. I might do a season more with Bury Town then give it a rest for a little while. I feel so much less motivated in England for some reason...

Back on FM07, with St. Albans City playing in the Championship, I lost in the play-offs three times in a row!

For the third and final play-off loss, I remember that my Saints side had accumulated enough points to be promoted in any other season, but they just couldn't keep up with the top two, who were in extraordinary form all season. And then we lost in the play-offs against a side who we'd beaten twice previously during the season, not to mention a side who had finished 16 points below us in the table!

I remember how frustrated I was the third time in a row that I lost in the play-offs. You know the handy tips that come up when the game is processing? Well they quite wonderfully told me that 'to resign as manager of your current team, click on manager and resign' just after I had lost yet another playoff final. Ah, it was so tempting! And yet, I stayed on at the Saints and eventually won the Championship title and secured Premier League football for my club. Happy days. :)

So yeah, I know how you feel Noikeee, but the glory will come in the end, I'm sure!

Its worse when you come 3rd 3 seasons in a row, no playoffs. Top 2 promoted. That hurts.

Twice I was 3rd on GD....

Thanks for all of the comments helping me out with my career choices guys. Much appreciated. :thup:

I also recommend South Korea. China is a fun place to manage as well.

Yeah, I think South Korea is definitely going to be loaded now. :)

I've got China, Australia, India and South Korea loaded in Asia. Couldn't really recommend any of them as I've been nowhere near, as you know!

I think you'd probably enjoy the Calcio one, playing as an alter-ego. Or another twist is starting off as an Italian in the English basement - Catenaccio for Tiverton Town?

So you reckon an alter-ego then SnakeXe? I was thinking maybe of bringing Davide Vangi (my regen trequartista from past Hellas Verona days) into management!

Go for the Calcio. I love reading about non-UK careers!

Thanks Deisler. I thought you might say that!

Having said that, I find it strange how some English FMers really don't like playing in England on FM. Never tempted by a bit of Non-League? ;) Or maybe even managing Arsenal, your favourite club?

Crouchy, I'll go with South Korea, China, and Hong Kong. Firstly, because South Korea and China each have 4 teams who enter the ACL (and gives you a more realistic chance of winning it). As for HK, it's because I'm just from there :D, and it's a fun little league to manage in.

I think South Korea is going to be in, for sure. I'll have a think about the others. Thanks for the recommendations!

And also because I usually load leagues together in which dual nationalities are common (like China/HK, USA/Mexico). If you asked me Crouchy, I would obviously say start in Asia...

I think I'm pretty set on a European start, preferably in England or Italy, but I'm not ruling anything out. I will load up a save and make some decisions!

Bar Australia and India I have managed in all the other countries for at least a couple seasons so if you want any assistance in any of them then ask away.

Cheers. Appreciate it!

You are slightly strange lol but I get what you mean.

AB, you should know me and my eccentricities by now, my friend!

All those leagues all those continents are you going to try and win every champions league?

Possibly. I don't have any goal at the moment apart from to have an excellent adventure and to try to get as high up in the footballing world as I can. I guess one little thing I have in mind is that I would really like to try to win titles in the major European nations and do the 'Mourinho' grand slam. But who knows how my career will go. It might be lower league mediocrity for me!

Start in England Crouchy and load up the Scilly Isles League.

Sounds like fun Nobby!

I would like to second, or third, or whatever number we're up to, South Korea, had a lot of fun there - and I'm glad you're already set on loading up India! :thup: Personally I'd like to see you do the Calcio version - I think it's just a little more interesting initially, which is important if you're expecting the two versions to effectively converge after a few years. But I'll follow either one! :thup:

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards starting off in Italy. Which do you think is best: playing as myself or as an Italian alter-ego?

Crouchy, I would say start your career outside of Europe (South Korea, perhaps?) and work you on to the continent, where you can then lead a team to club glory!

I'll look into it. I think I'm pretty set on Italy as a starting point but I could see an interesting narrative for my manager to start in Asia instead. I'm not ruling it out!

Thanks again for all of the advice so far guys. :)

I have just found a club in India that I want to start a career with. I might do a season more with Bury Town then give it a rest for a little while. I feel so much less motivated in England for some reason...

Which club Flamers?

Yeah, I lost 4 promotion playoffs in 5 seasons (with the same club) in my FM11 career. :)

It was one of those "group of 4, play each other twice, top team promotes" type playoffs though. They're not very difficult to lose. :)

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards starting off in Italy. Which do you think is best: playing as myself or as an Italian alter-ego?

I always play as an alter-ego, so I can definitely get on board with that idea. I think as long as you're attached enough to the "character" that you're playing that you can engage fully with the game, it's a lot of fun. :thup: