dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,941 posts in this topic

Wouldn't describe that as an 'Arsenal moment' - they reached a nadir after years of gradual decline and a few months of steady decline. Sounds like you just had one bad match!

I've had to go back to FM10. Simply as I've got a new laptop, but I've managed to get my FM11 disc stuck in my old laptop :( No point in buying a new one for a month.

That's what sledgehammers are for! Just don't whack the side with the DVD in it ;):D

Wouldn't describe that as an 'Arsenal moment' - they reached a nadir after years of gradual decline and a few months of steady decline. Sounds like you just had one bad match!

Then I lost to Schalke. Damn

That's what sledgehammers are for! Just don't whack the side with the DVD in it ;):D

I'll continue to play FM11 on the old one I guess

Yeah if he activates it on Steam on the old one, then he'll just be able to download it on the new.

I think it's quite simple:

1. Open Steam.

2. On the menu bar, go Games > Activate a product on Steam.

3. Enter your CD key.

New computer coming next week! \o/

I'll finally have a bit more power to work with for FM purposes. Could totally change the game for me.

I'm getting an Intel i5 Quad core 3.3GHz with 8GB RAM. :eek:

Will I be able to pile on the leagues with that or what! :)

You should notice a big difference with that, although half the RAM won't get used unless you've got some other memory intensive stuff running at the time.

dafuge I max 4GB a lot of the time and will be upgrading to 8GB any time soon. As people want more multitasking it will be needed.

Crouchy that sounds awesome, it should run anything with the right GPU

dafuge I max 4GB a lot of the time and will be upgrading to 8GB any time soon.

Is that just through FM, or other stuff as well?

FM only seems to use about 3GB for me, although I have 8. Maybe it is because I don't load too many leagues/players?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/3792996/B-team.html

Don't know if any of you guys have seen this but it's good to see that we're not the only recluses around here! :D;) He's around 27-28 I think so he'd of been playing the Champ Manager which then went on to what we now know as Football Manager (not the carp that is Champ Manager now! :D).

He's only five months older than me, so it's good to know I won't have too much longer to wait before I get my big break as a musician and actor ;)

You should notice a big difference with that, although half the RAM won't get used unless you've got some other memory intensive stuff running at the time.
dafuge I max 4GB a lot of the time and will be upgrading to 8GB any time soon. As people want more multitasking it will be needed.

The RAM was fairly cheap. I was just going to get 4GB but it didn't cost much more to double it so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Plus, I do multitask a lot. I guess the RAM will help out with that and I can have plenty on the go at once. :)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that FM only uses 4GB max anyway. Not sure if that's true though. :confused:

Crouchy that sounds awesome, it should run anything with the right GPU

Well, you can tell if I got a decent GPU then! I ended up getting an Nvidia Geforce GTS450 (1GB). Hopefully it's a half decent card.

From what I read, it's kind of mid-range. Not an extreme gaming card, or anything like that, but a little better than a low end card. Maybe a card for casual gamers?

Anyway, I read a review of the card which suggested that it will run really well for stuff like FM and The Sims. My wife plays the latter, so she'll be pleased, and I might end up giving 3D a go on FM12 after years of dedication to the dots! :D

To be honest, the only games I really play are FM and Minecraft anyway! Do you reckon I'll be able to run Minecraft on max settings? Hopefully, I'll be able to load a ton of leagues on FM too!

I'm really looking forward to getting my new computer anyway. I have a feeling it might renew my love of FM because it'll speed things up considerably for me and perhaps make it almost feel like a brand new game! :D

Playing FM on a new computer is awesome, it makes you wonder how you managed before with all the loading times :D

Playing FM on a new computer is awesome, it makes you wonder how you managed before with all the loading times :D

Yeah and imagine how incredible it will be for me Dafuge!

I've been stuck on this old laptop for too long. Just the thought that I could, for example, double or treble the amount of leagues I load is fantastic!

I'll probably be amazed by the difference. It really could improve FM to an amazing degree for me.

Crouchy yes even you are going to give 3D a try. :D

You're going to need the 8GB ram, I think FM will go 64 bit in a couple years at the latest. Or at least till you get a new computer after you're done with this one I'm quite sure about that. :D

Crouchy yes even you are going to give 3D a try. :D

I anticipate that I won't totally give up with the dots though.

I think what I'll probably end up doing is watching highlights on 2D Classic and then switching to 3D for replays of goals! :cool:

You're going to need the 8GB ram, I think FM will go 64 bit in a couple years at the latest. Or at least till you get a new computer after you're done with this one I'm quite sure about that. :D

Well, I'm glad I got it then. I'm hoping this computer will be 'future proof' for quite a while, so that's why I went for the RAM overkill.

I hope the graphics card will do the job too! Although I suppose I can always upgrade it easily enough in the future.

Good news Crouchy on the new PC. Getting mine completely sparked a revival in interest for me in FM! I anticipate it'll be similar to you. One word of warning though...switch from the dots and I will never speak to you again ;)

Good news Crouchy on the new PC. Getting mine completely sparked a revival in interest for me in FM! I anticipate it'll be similar to you. One word of warning though...switch from the dots and I will never speak to you again ;)

Yes, I think it'll be the same for me Iacovone. I can see myself getting really into the game again thanks to the power of a decent PC at last!

Don't worry though, I'll remain faithful to the dots, mainly because I still feel it's the best way to watch a game from the point of view of a tactical manager. For the tactical coach, like myself, it's still the superior method to watch and analyse your choices, in my opinion. ;) Seriously though, I always feel better able to tell what my team can improve upon, and to analyse games, using the 2D Classic mode.

But I think having the ability to use 3D will lead to me watching goal replays in 3D. Pretty sure you can do that, can't you? Set the replay camera to 3D but still watch in 2D Classic?

You are correct - you can set replays to be 3D (a nice touch). I actually have that setting myself.

As for 2D and tactical analysis - I'm inclined to agree with you. I wouldn't know though, being so utterly hapless at the tactical side of the game ;)

Also a question for those still awake:

When you update your thread and add hyperlinks to images what is the quickest method? (I can't believe I just asked this given how long I've been on the forums...!)

My method (which I think is the fastest goes like this:

Get URL for my image.

Click the globe and chain icon.

Paste URL link.

Press OK.

Then find the text between the [ url] and [/ url] tags and edit to what I want it to say.

Is there a faster way? I seem to remember a while back that the hyperlink icon would let you paste the URL and then ask what you wanted the link to be called?! Where did that go?

STOP! Before anyone berates me for being an absolute cretin (for almost 5 years) I've just read the forum guidlines and worked it out. I CANNOT BELIEVE I've not done this sooner! New posts will take half the time in future. Hooray! :)

well my games playing is going to get alot slower, as will only have nights to play this i start a new job in the morning. :D

Ooh. My new laptop is making me swoon a little. From 1/2 a star performance, up to 2.5 stars with exactly the same setup

Ooh. My new laptop is making me swoon a little. From 1/2 a star performance, up to 2.5 stars with exactly the same setup

I hope the same happens to me when my new desktop arrives.

From my poor old laptop to a quad core 3.3GHz and 8GB RAM. :drools:

I hope the same happens to me when my new desktop arrives.

From my poor old laptop to a quad core 3.3GHz and 8GB RAM. :drools:

Well, mine is a quad-core 2.8ghz and 6GB. And I have 23 leagues running

Well, mine is a quad-core 2.8ghz and 6GB. And I have 23 leagues running

Crouchy drools once more ;)

All this computer talk is making me drool. :D

You all got new desktops right? I'm still debating between desktop and laptop...the only problem I have is not price but a lack of space. :(

Hollow out your wardrobe rancer. Convert your clothes to curtains and bed sheets, thereby doubling up as both insulation/shelter and actual clothes! Plus with a desktop in your wardrobe, you'll seem like the cool fashionista at University to anyone fortunate to drop in at Casa di Rancer ;)

All this computer talk is making me drool. :D

You all got new desktops right? I'm still debating between desktop and laptop...the only problem I have is not price but a lack of space. :(

Nope, mine's a laptop

Is this the geek version of comparing **** size?

Very much so.

What's the golf version, driving length? I can see it now, a steamy post-round group shower all comparing length... ;)

Very much so.

What's the golf version, driving length? I can see it now, a steamy post-round group shower all comparing length... ;)

Showing each other, their club heads...

the remove/add leagues has changed my mind. Depending on how it affects the slightly slower pcs.

Remove/add leagues is a bit plus in my mind. I always like to start with Sunday League rep (closer to RL :D), so being able to start in low-rep leagues like Indonesia or Northern Ireland, gain some success there (har!) and then add in bigger leagues in a career progression appeals to me.

I'm also hoping for good things from the "tone" addition to team talks. Finally I can give that player who's "looking complacent" the hair dryer treatment, but also tell the "playing nervously" guys to just chill out, dude.

I've been discussing this forum in various other places and I'm keen to hear people's opinions on the format this forum seems to have taken.

At first glance at the front page, this forum looks no different to the FM Stories forum. It looks like it is just a load of story threads on people's careers, which isn't really what it is supposed to be about. The main thing that is supposed to distinguish us from FMS is the element of discussion that goes on in our threads and I think one thing we are perhaps missing out on are the spontaneous threads discussing elements of management.

Are people aware that they are allowed to start threads in this forum that are not just for their career? Would people like to see more of them?

I think the format of this forum was never going to be very different to the FMS forum. However, the emphasis here has always been away from the narrative side of things towards sharing our 'non-fictional' FM careers (non-fictional in the sense that we are sharing what is actually happening on our saves).

Personally, I do think it would be good to have more threads where everyone can share more discussion about their careers. Almost a bit more like GD but specifically with discussion about careers in mind. Perhaps most users don't really realise that they could start 'GD-like' threads here. To be honest, it didn't really occur to me to start that kind of thread. I think it would be good though if we could have more polls, more discussions on making career decisions, more discussions on how we play out our careers and so on and so forth.

I think the format of this forum was never going to be very different to the FMS forum. However, the emphasis here has always been away from the narrative side of things towards sharing our 'non-fictional' FM careers (non-fictional in the sense that we are sharing what is actually happening on our saves).

Personally, I do think it would be good to have more threads where everyone can share more discussion about their careers. Almost a bit more like GD but specifically with discussion about careers in mind. Perhaps most users don't really realise that they could start 'GD-like' threads here. To be honest, it didn't really occur to me to start that kind of thread. I think it would be good though if we could have more polls, more discussions on making career decisions, more discussions on how we play out our careers and so on and so forth.

I think everyone has just assumed that this forum would follow the format of FMS, which is why random threads have just never happened. I can't remember ever closing a thread because it was in the wrong section!

Those are exactly the sorts of things I was thinking of, to make this more of a discussion forum as well as an updates forum.

Personally always thought it was for threads about individuals careers. Never knew/thought we could open general discussion threads here tbh

Personally always thought it was for threads about individuals careers. Never knew/thought we could open general discussion threads here tbh

We've never really had any rules, so this is just the way that people have decided to use this forum. I'm just wondering whether people would actually like to see career related general discussion threads in here.

Most stuff that you would make a thread for in GD is discussed in here - certainly if I wanted to raise something, this thread is where I'd do it.

I would like that a lot at the moment I do not have a career thread that I want to post on here but I do like discussing my current career and discussing other peoples. We have quite a few knowledgeable posters in here that know a lot about different aspects of a career and FM in general. Would make perfect sense to be able to open discussion threads.

When I campaigned for this forum I did initially want it for people to log their careers as there wasn't anywhere really to do that before. FMS has strict rules and so does LLM, rules which a lot of people don't adhere to in their saves. Plus, the team threads in which people can post their career (for example; the Man Utd thread), individual careers tend to become 'lost' amongst everyone elses Man Utd career. I actually didn't think about dafuges suggestion of having spontaneous threads discussing elements of management but I think that is something that I would certainly like to see. The Careers Forum (FMCU) has it's own little community and I for one prefer discussing FM with the members who frequent in here rather than the, erm, shall we say stereotypical posters in GD :D. I think it would be nice to see discussion threads popping up :thup:.