dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,934 posts in this topic

Proper struggling to get into a save at the moment. What I would like to know is how all those that can have long term saves manage to not get bored.

constantly change targets, or move clubs to manage in a different country are my aims.

I try to do that but I just get bored. The longest save on Fmm1 that I've had has probably been 2/3 seasons, maybe 4. I just read the forums too much as well and that doesn't help. Or when I see something in the news and I want to be that team. I may go back to have a Forest save but just using the players that come through the academy or that or already at the club. I have a feeling though I'll just get bored.

Long term planning is the only way to play, or a journeyman save.

If I ever got bored playing FM I'd try to find something else to do rather than trying to start a new save.

yea i find if i get bored ill go off and play or do something else then come back to it.

Does anyone use twitter to post about their FM career?

When I'm not posting about ice-hockey, yeah..

I've tried the journeyman saves but I generally don't load enough leagues or load too many which makes it so slow. If I get bored of FM I always try and start a new save, I guess that isn't helping. I don't have many other games which I can play for ages though.

When I'm not posting about ice-hockey, yeah..

Whats ya twitter name ill follow ya for random FM updates and the ice hockey stuff will be good too :)

Proper struggling to get into a save at the moment. What I would like to know is how all those that can have long term saves manage to not get bored.

I try and stick to acidmonkeys philosophy...

constantly change targets, or move clubs to manage in a different country are my aims.

For example, my Asian save at the minute. I started out trying to play alongside rancers Asian challenge game but it got to the point where I felt a new challenge was needed for me if I was to continue the save. I came close to achieving rancers challene but as I said, I needed something new so I changed the aim of my save and decided to (as acidmonkey said) manage in a different country and attempt different aims. Once I felt that I had accomplished everything I could in that nation, I moved on.

So, in my save at the minute, I've managed in four of Asia's leagues (Hong Kong, China, Australia, South Korea) with a couple of national team jobs thrown in to keep things interesting and I'm just as much into my save as I was at the beginning. When I start to become tired of it again, I'll look at a new challenge again, maybe trying something like hrbfcrule has done or DSYoungEsq or maybe even going back to trying to complete what I set out to do in completing rancers challenge.

It's all about keeping your save fresh. That's how it works for me anyway :).

I've holidayed a save for a season and a half and it's now in January 2012. I've had a look and I'm going to be Forest who are 18th in the Prem. They also have Toloi(Brazilian CB) on loan from Man United.

I had the challenge of trying to break the domination of the Big 3/4 in Portugal, using only Portuguese players. This was fun!

I've gone off being Forest. Instead using someone's save where Swindon got took over.

I've gone off being Forest. Instead using someone's save where Swindon got took over.

Try Portugal

im currently trying to beat every record of most wins in the premier league fa cup league cup champs league and euro super cup with my saints side. Also aiming to take over Fergie in the HOF.

Thinking about doing a career update on my Darlington save, only problem is that I'm in the 3rd season now so could be out of kilt. Would people be interested.

Yeah, suggest you just briefly cover the first two seasons if you don't have the details and then start properly with the third one.

Whats ya twitter name ill follow ya for random FM updates and the ice hockey stuff will be good too :)

@grantsales

They'll be mainly baseball tweets up til October ;)

Still nothing like taking an Icelandic to Champions League glory... still can't get 2 in a row.

@grantsales

Following now, im Acidphire21 as for baseball meh!

can you change my title to:

"Acidmonkey's 2011 World Tour!"

Done, although for future reference this thread: Mod Requests is the one that is usually used for title changes, deletions etc.

@grantsales

Following now as well, I am Acidburn81 by the way.

Guys, what are your opinions on Steam? Both in a Football Manager sense and with any other games too?

Also, one very basic question I have is, if I have a game on Steam such as FM or whatever, am I able to play it if I am offline? Or do I need to be logged into the Steam thing and on the Internet to play?

I know we have some who are quite pro- Steam, like Flamers. I've always been negative on Steam but then I recently bought Terraria with it and now I'm thinking maybe I could try FM on it in the future.

Done, although for future reference this thread: Mod Requests is the one that is usually used for title changes, deletions etc.

i knew there was one but i couldn't see it on my phone sorry

Guys, what are your opinions on Steam? Both in a Football Manager sense and with any other games too?

Also, one very basic question I have is, if I have a game on Steam such as FM or whatever, am I able to play it if I am offline? Or do I need to be logged into the Steam thing and on the Internet to play?

I know we have some who are quite pro- Steam, like Flamers. I've always been negative on Steam but then I recently bought Terraria with it and now I'm thinking maybe I could try FM on it in the future.

yea ou can set it up for "offline" mode, you need to be logged into steam, but dont need to be online,

As you said I am quite "pro steam". I have a consistent connection so I don't have a problem but you can play in offline mode fine so that is no worry. The main thing I like is that I can chat while I play :)

Cheers for the replies Acidmonkey and Flamers.

I've hated Steam ever since I had a bad experience with it when installing FM09. So I avoided it ever since.

But recently, I bought Terraria via Steam, and it seems to have changed quite a bit. I think maybe I might try installing FM on it in the future and maybe try some other games via Steam.

I was just wondering what people's general views were. Originally, I kind of hated that it was intrusive and I also disliked having a third-party application on my computer in order to access a game. But now, I figure having all of my games in one place and some of the other features, like automatic patching and updates for example, are worth it.

i was in the same boat i hated it, for the exact same reasons, but now i couldn't do with out it, so much better than before.

Yeah, I might have to give it a shot with FM too.

Terraria is really good btw. :thup:

Alot of people had problems with Steam for FM09 iirc. I would suggest give it a try again as I've never head any problems with it. If I don't have a connection(when I'm in the car to a mates usually) it just says that it couldn't find a connection and asks you whether to retry or to sign in offline. I don't think you can get the accomplishments when you're offline though but surely that isn't a problem.

Cheers for that NF. :thup:

Yeah, I'm not that bothered by the achievements, although I guess it could be interesting.

I suppose you can't get them retrospectively? You have to be playing when you make the achievement right ?

I like getting the achievements there are some fun ones to try and get. Pretty sure you have to be online to get the achievement.

yea cant get them retrospectively, they are fun but there are two that's broken but SI wouldn't accept that on the twitter feed

How can they not accept it when zero percent of people have done them. I never turn my internet off and have achieved the continental king one twice.

exactly there's only that and the professor achievement 0% of people have but on twitter they said they have been assured they work.

Would be easier if they actually tried to get the achievements themselves. Would only take a couple of hours if they cheated to see if they work.

Yeah, Steam? Bad FM09 experience and wont ever go back.

I like Steam. I've bought a lot of games on it and there are sales sometimes. I really have no complaints about them.

im on now mate

Typical! I'm off to bed now! :p

Worst thing about Twitter updates is it shows me getting smashed :(

<----- probably the only person that doesnt use twitter

I don't use it either JR.

I'm also not on Facebook!

I've not got into twitter either. I've got enough distractions on the computer, I don't need another one!

You bought a new computer recently, didn't you Dafuge?

What specs & cost etc.? I'm curious as you seem to run a good amount of leagues and zoom through the seasons! ;)

I think I bought it a couple of years ago, can't quite remember. No idea how much it cost, but I remember it was a lot, probably not far off £1k. I could post the specs if you want, but it is probably a bit dated now.

To be honest, the speed at which I play isn't much to do with my computer, it is to do with how I play. I stick to one tactic, let the assistant take the press conferences and OI's and at the moment I watch the matches with commentary only. I also start a game with a lot less than the recommended limit for the players (something like 50k instead of 125k). I think the only time I really notice the speed is when it is saving/loading, which I don't tend to do that often.