dafuge

FM Careers Forum Discussion

7,953 posts in this topic

Sometimes this game just makes me want to snap the disk...

Playing Sheffield utd away, who have just been on a 6 game losing streak, we go one up in the 80th minute, I go from our 4-4-1-1 to a 4-1-4-1 to kill the game off, go defensive, all the normal SUS shouts, etc, and Nick Montgomery with his long shots stat of a massive 4 sticks one in from 30 yards in the 89th minute.

Drives me mental, when the game decides it wants you to draw there is just nothing you can do about it. I am always conceding late goals or equalisers, no matter what I do to try and prevent it.

Dude, you've gone TOO defensive, IMO

I just go to control, keep possesion, hassle opponents. Doesn't always work, but it good enough

Dude, you've gone TOO defensive, IMO

I just go to control, keep possesion, hassle opponents. Doesn't always work, but it good enough

I do everything what Deisler says except I counter. It works for me.

Good advice lads, but I've tried just leaving it and end up drawing, going more possession based and drawing, etc. The change of formation is a recent attempt at holding on, but the amount of times my teams let a 2 or 3 goal lead slip is a joke. AI teams play like derby one half, brazil the next.

Baaically if they get one then its a forgone conclusion they will draw it level.

Good advice lads, but I've tried just leaving it and end up drawing, going more possession based and drawing, etc. The change of formation is a recent attempt at holding on, but the amount of times my teams let a 2 or 3 goal lead slip is a joke. AI teams play like derby one half, brazil the next.

Baaically if they get one then its a forgone conclusion they will draw it level.

I find "Defensive" to be actually very good at holding onto a lead with the system I play. Because I have a back four and two defensive midfielders, it generally results in us keeping possession in the back 6 for most of the rest of the match.

Regardless, I think the best advice is to look at where the opposition threat is coming from. If they're dominating you in midfield, bring in an extra player in the centre, if it's down the flanks, shield your fullbacks with wide midfielders, etc. If they're drawing you out of position, reduce closing down to keep your shape. Always look at occupying their dangerous player(s) with one of yours. And don't forget to retain a threat on the counter, or else they'll keep you pinned on the edge of your own area, which isn't a good place to be.

Beautiful finish!

Is it just me that seems to concede 90% of their goals from set pieces? Its so bloody annoying :mad:

Any tactical tips to amend this bstard of a problem I'm encountering?

Get taller defenders.

Get defenders that can jump.

Ok assume in the Bulgarian 2nd tier, no-one can jump and the majority of defenders are under 6 foot. Then what?

Then find sub 6 foot defenders who can jump higher than the opposition. :p

Then find sub 6 foot defenders who can jump higher than the opposition. :p

:D...simple as that then!

I find "Defensive" to be actually very good at holding onto a lead with the system I play. Because I have a back four and two defensive midfielders, it generally results in us keeping possession in the back 6 for most of the rest of the match.

Regardless, I think the best advice is to look at where the opposition threat is coming from. If they're dominating you in midfield, bring in an extra player in the centre, if it's down the flanks, shield your fullbacks with wide midfielders, etc. If they're drawing you out of position, reduce closing down to keep your shape. Always look at occupying their dangerous player(s) with one of yours. And don't forget to retain a threat on the counter, or else they'll keep you pinned on the edge of your own area, which isn't a good place to be.

Beautiful finish!

Do you play a deep 4-2-3-1 then? I use the version with 2 CM's.

Things have been a little better lately, if anything we arescoring the late goals! I've found that counter attack, plus hassling is keeping those annoying long shots down a bit better, but its mostly set pieces and longshots I seem to concede from.

Ok assume in the Bulgarian 2nd tier, no-one can jump and the majority of defenders are under 6 foot. Then what?

Bulgarian 2nd tier is amazing. What year are you in?

anyone recomend a team in europe that i could do wa youth challenge with

How hard do you want it?

a challenge but a league which could possibly lead to a financial backing if that makes sense

I wouldve done Ireland but the season is a weird time scale.

right decision time, im finally home, so after 16 hours awake and a 110 mile drive home + a shift at work, do i play fm or save it for tomorrow?

Do you play a deep 4-2-3-1 then? I use the version with 2 CM's.

Yeah I start with the deeper two midfielders at DM. I do move them to MC if the opposition midfield is standing well off them and crowding the playmaker.

I can't believe how enjoyable this FM11 save is for me. Trying desperately to win Liga ZON Sagres with this squad I've bulit and had faith in throughout the years and various players (Kim Kallstrom, Anis Beh-Hatira, regen Jordan Stephenson) becoming massive favourites of mine. LOVE IT!

Just been promoted to the prem with leeds, can somebody suggest a nice solid formation? I've been using a 4-4-1-1 in this save but I feel a DM would be a good idea if I want to stay up.

I have one good winger, fullbacks are average.

id stick with the formation youve been using to be honest. I never change tactics regardless of any situation. your team should be used to the formation and the way you play so going up and making changes could back fire. However so could not changing it.

How does all the people in this forum make the manager history code? :s Do they use past games and use that for the code? :s

I write it in notepad first and then stick it in the code tags.

I write it in notepad first and then stick it in the code tags.

Me too :thup:.

Also using "Preview Post" helps a lot.

Another question I have to ask, how do you get the club crests in the post? Where do you find the image? I've looked for crests but I can't find one with a transparent background. :(

Another question I have to ask, how do you get the club crests in the post? Where do you find the image? I've looked for crests but I can't find one with a transparent background. :(

All I search for is first wikipedia, then google images. Unless it's a really obscure club you'll find at least one with a white background.

All I search for is first wikipedia, then google images. Unless it's a really obscure club you'll find at least one with a white background.

If you have Photoshop, you can delete the background.

i thought that said or even A gimp :) im thinking i dont have my own personal gimp lol

i thought that said or even A gimp :) im thinking i dont have my own personal gimp lol

I have one of my own.

I use the metallic logo pack logos in my posts :)

I use the metallic logo pack logos in my posts :)

Same here, I upload the logo out of the FM graphics folder.

Is there an easy way of finding a certain teams logo from the metallic pack?

Put the Unique ID's on in the options menu, click on the team and that number is the number of the file :)

And we're back!!!

Managed to finally win the Liga Sagres with Leiria. This formed part of the domestic treble and I also lost narrowly in the EURO Cup final

What year are you in Deisler?

Think we're the only two in here :D

*points to location* ;)

2019-2020. And yep, it seems that way!

Thanks dude. Took a LONG time to get there. The most I've spent in 7 seasons on one player was £2.9m on a young Spanish midfielder.

Finishes have been 14th, 14th, 4th (record finish at the time), 5th, 2nd (record finish at the time), 4th and 1st (record finish)

Nice mate :thup:

Did the treble in Serie C2C in my 7th season as a career manager (7th club too) - the feeling of finally achieving something was great :D

That'll do nicely! In my FM10 career, it took me 10 years to win one trophy. That was my third club too.