Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iglesia

Football Manager - Piracy - Consoles - The Future?

98 posts in this topic

I just saw an interview talking about the [url="http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_the_pc_gaming_slump.html"]PC Gaming Slump[/url] and I was wondering how it could affect FM on the PC in the future?

The number of sales for Call of Duty 4 were pretty astounding to me. It's sold less than 100,000 on the PC, yet it's sold 1.5 million on the Xbox 360 [B]alone[/B].....WTF?

Is there any chance that FM could move more towards consoles [B](I HOPE NOT)[/B] in the future because of the amount of piracy/lost $$$$'s on the PC?

I must admit that I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been a bigger push by now. I know SI have released games on the Xbox (I've bought them), but at times it's felt to me as if that format has been a little neglected and I wonder if that's about to change in the next few years?

Thoughts? Opinions? Miles?

i dont beleive there is a slump in pc sales.

how many top class games are there for the 360 compared to the pc? i'd say there are more on the pc.
its like saying that tv viewing is down now because there were more viewing one show 30 years ago than there are now. only reason is that there are more channels now than then.

[B]Reasons why we will only play games on console in the near future[/B]
1) Consoles are cheaper then PCs because the makers sell them at no profit or even at loss jsut to get people to have there console because they will make that money back through game sales.

2) Much lower level of piracy.

3) XNA

4) Dont need to worry about specifications.

5) No updates, drivers etc.

6) Different ways of playing games. Look at the Wii and also in the past the camera on the ps2.

7) Great online play system. This is where consoles have improved a lot recently.

8) Consoles are made for gaming while PCs arent.

Thats about all I can think of for now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dudester:
Mike If football manager was to be made on ps3 it could be exactly as the game is now for pc.

It has hdd to store data on.
Cell processor.
Keyboard and mouse support.

I'm not totally sure on the 360 but the release of 08 doesn't use a hdd and doesn't have keyboard and mouse support i believe.

I like the others hope FM continues on pcs but i do realize thats if need be consoles can be a viable option for the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could I take a PS3 on the train like my laptop? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget the cabling who wants to lug that beast round to and from work you may as well just take a set of weights to work as well. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Already released in North America in December and Ter imported a copy. Tempting me to do the same grrr. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:
It's well worth it. I am declaring this weekend an Unreal-fest </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop it Ter your just mean I saw you playing it last night on psn list that was bad enough. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arrogantio:
Consoles are considerably less useful and have considerably shorter lifespans than the average PC, and thus represent considerably poorer value for money despite their greater purchase price.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Playstation 2 was released in 2000 and they are still putting out games for it today. I have a feeling you aren't using the same PC from 7 years ago. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If we are talking about a 'decent' gaming PC there is no way you aren't paying at least 2-3 times more than a console when you factor in a decent video card like an 8800GTX, minimum 2GB ram, HD, mobo, Case etc...etc... and that machine will still struggle to play some of the latest games (Crysis) at the highest settings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by charliemfc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">problem is when you play a game like. lord of the rings or a total war game. what are the adverts going to be like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Online games are subscription based, so they get their money that way, like FM Live.

Then for 'offline' games, there will be ads on loading screens and maybe a little ad in the corner of the screen during gameplay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it will become more common in these online games. They can be updated all the time, so they can get more money.

Ads are not a problem as long as they fit into the game world. Such as Fifa or Pro Evo having adverts for console games around the sponsor boards etc, thats fine but it when it become unrealistic that it becomes a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:
An "average laptop" is hardly the stuff games are made for.

It probably had intergrated graphics on the motherboard, and shared it with the ram.

PC Gaming goes in cycles.

Right now, all the new consoles have been released, and the companies making games for them are going hardcore into it.

Wait another 4 years and compare the 360 and ps3 with the current PC Gaming tech.

Crysis, the latest and greatest pc, is probably never going to come out on PS3 or 360, and if it does it [B]will[/B] be graphically cut down.

Just think of what's going to happen as the life cycle of current gen consoles elongates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's your perception.

For non-IT people there's no difference between a notebook and a desktop computer.

For these people it are just computers.

It took me (and I'm a kind of geek) 30 minutes to figure out why it will not install and why it will never install.

I didn't found the information in the manual and the website of the creators was very silent as well.

Non-IT people will almost never find this kind of information.

And this is not a rare situation. It's rather common.

My girlfriend and zillion people like her are not eating this.

If they buy “The Da Vinci Code” DVD movie and insert it in their DVD player they expect to watch the movie.

They do not want to see cryptic error messages. And if something goes wrong they want to find step-by-step solutions on the screen or in their manual.
If that’s not available then the smarter people think they can find solutions and workarounds on the website of the creators or publishers.

And if all these things fail, then they will never buy a DVD movie anymore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:
I know I sound like a broken record but it's simply because laptops are not powerful enough. Well, not for your average user. The average user will look to spend £400-500 on a laptop and that doesn't buy you a good enough laptop to play any sort of game really. The gaming industry are not going to totally dumb down graphics of a game just so that the average user can play it on a desktop. It wouldn't be worth it. They would probably lose alot of hardcore fans if they make games with bad graphics and gain a few casual gamers.

I think what is needed is for game coders to develop [B]for their target audience[/B]. Obviously, no one in their right mind is going to try to run Crysis on a £500 laptop. However, for The Da Vince Code, perhaps you are right that it should run on minimum specs because the fans for that game won't get too excited over the graphics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Da Vince Code IS running on my notebook! My girlfriend is hating me now. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yes the software business should think about the average machine of their users. And they don't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:
My girl paid about 1200€ for her notebook.

It's not a rubbish thing.

[B]Sorry, I was ranting in general as this is something I hear several times a week (the bit about buying a cheap laptop and expecting them to work like a desktop, not your girl's in particular).[/B]

In my opinion games should adapt themselves on the target computer (automatically).

‘Bad’ videocard? Ok, you can play, but don’t expect the nicest graphics…

No surround? Ok, you’ll hear some beep-beep…

Slow CPU? Ok, we’ll drop some consuming features, but you’ll be able to run the show.

And sure, no one is expecting that a Da Vinci Code is running on a 486 pc with 4 Mb internal memory and a videocard of 64Kb [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whilst I agree to a point that they should think about it, how much time should they put into essentially retarding their work?

About the 486 thing, you would be surprised. I recently had someone bring their PC to me complaining that they had just bought Lego Star Wars (for their Grandchild) from another shop and have been trying for several hours but couldn't get it to work. My task would have been to make this game run on a Pentium 100mhz CPU running Windows 98. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Naturally I declined the challenge and advised the customer that, in future, he should check the minimum specifications before buying software as his PC was essentially thrown off the Ark because it was deemed archaic by Noah. I did this in the politest way possible of course. [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As the only other thing he uses his PC for is writing letters (and the fact that the parents of the child in question had a PC that the game would work with), I suggested that he still gives the game to the child and that it could be used at his parents' house.

Question is, how far should the games industry think about this and what impact would it have on both cost of end product and length of time required in order to produce, test and release a game?

In order for them to put this kind of versatility into the software, it would require massive re-writes to the graphical side of the game for each scenario/level of PC.

This could triple the time needed for writing, testing and releasing the game for the different architectures. This would lead to massively inflated overheads due to the staff having to be paid for all of the extra production work which, in some cases, would financially cripple them meaning no game would be released at all.

In my opinion, laptops were designed for office work on the go, for which they are very capable. They were never intended to be used as a gaming technology and therefore were never designed in that way. In future, I would expect to see higher-end graphics cards in laptops anyway as a natural progression. The problem is they will always be behind the desktop due to the complexities of fitting a large amount of heat-producing components into a very small box.

Should the gaming industry be slowed down (or possibly ruined) because home users have suddenly decided that it is "cool" to have a laptop?

I personally would say no.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:
I personally would say no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends, if those 'some' are becoming a significant share, I would say [I]YES[/I]

Soon notebooks will be the standard computers, I'm not sure, maybe they are already at that level.

I bought my last Desktop 6 years ago, but I bought 3 notebooks in that period of time...
My girlfriend really needs a notebook, she is in college and needs her pc in school. And so are all her fellow class mates...

And all those people want to play games sometimes on their notebook, which are not computers for some game factories....

Try to explain to common people that a brand new notebook of 1200€ is not a 'real' computer [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And uhm good for SI, that FM runs on old bikes [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:
I personally would say no. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends, if those 'some' are becoming a significant share, I would say [I]YES[/I]

Soon notebooks will be the standard computers, I'm not sure, maybe they are already at that level.

I bought my last Desktop 6 years ago, but I bought 3 notebooks in that period of time...
My girlfriend really needs a notebook, she is in college and needs her pc in school. And so are all her fellow class mates...

And all those people want to play games sometimes on their notebook, which are not computers for some game factories....

Try to explain to common people that a brand new notebook of 1200€ is not a 'real' computer [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And uhm good for SI, that FM runs on old bikes [img]http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then the common people should do some research before spending such a large amount of money.

Im not a mechanic but Id know enough through research not to blindly buy an unsuitable car- if I didnt bother and bought a stinker then Id only have myself to blame and not the car manufacturer or the dealership.

So why do the uninitiated feel they can blame game or hardware manufacturers because they didnt do their research?

People take some responsibility for your own buying decisions.

I'm no computer geek and I don't know much about even my own computer.

For me, if I had the choice, I'd go console for nearly every game apart from FM, which of course wouldnt be the same at all on a console.

When you look at all the PC Games on the shelf, such as Call Of Duty for PC, you don't just go and pick it up. You look at all the stuff on the back and for most people like me you just buy it and hope it'll work. And as for the argument that with PC's you can 'mod' your game, to be fair, most of my FM Playing friends don't have a clue about modding it, or patches, or facepacks or anything like that. You just play FM on PC because on PS3/Xbox it is not the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seagulls Forever:
I notice some arguments about it being economically unviable to produce games for lower specs. However, has anyone noticed EA starting to make 'laptop-friendly' games like Sims Life Stories and Sims Carnival Snapcity? I'm not saying these are great games but they have clearly decided there's a market in games that will work on lower-end machines, and are investing in output that will work on them. They're a business and not a charity so they must feel there's money there, and given the size of EA (love them or hate them) you have to suggest they probably know what they're doing.

Quit the elitism guys, it's not pretty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's more about a franchise than them making 'laptop friendly' games. in my opinion anyway.
they wouldn't make games 'laptop firnedly' if it wasn't a gaming franchise that is raking in millions already.