Basketball manager???

basketball is a pathetic excuse for a sport what aload of crap no one in there right mind would make a management sim about basketball

The problem with it is that it's too easy to score, and all the players are of a similarly high standard. The scores are too high to take seriously, in my opinion. I'm surprised no one's ever thought "why don't we make the basket higher?" or something to reward better performance and reduce stupid scores.

It's still a better sport than American Football though. How anyone can find it entertaining is beyond me. It's so stop start and repetitive and one-dimensional that I get so enraged whenever I try and watch it.

:confused:

It's still a better sport than American Football though. How anyone can find it entertaining is beyond me. It's so stop start and repetitive and one-dimensional that I get so enraged whenever I try and watch it.

And American Football is better than that nonsense Baseball. Probably it is the most boring sport ever, maybe Cricket is.

Shame that you really really dont understand how small basketball is in those countries if you compare it to football for example. Well guess thats an uneducated person for you. Now im sorry, you created this thread based on the fact that you may like basketball and overestimated its popularity, but dont you dare call me a moron for voicing facts about it. Damn keyboard warriors. Hate you lot.

You don't know what you're on about. Basketball is hands down the most popular sport in China, Lithuania, Greece, Estonia and Latvia, and also quite popular in Spain and France and the Balkan nations.

You have NO idea what you are talking about, so why do you keep talking?

The problem with it is that it's too easy to score, and all the players are of a similarly high standard. The scores are too high to take seriously, in my opinion. I'm surprised no one's ever thought "why don't we make the basket higher?" or something to reward better performance and reduce stupid scores.

:confused:

Just because you don't understand a sport doesn't mean you should insult it. Basketball is a game based on team work, ball movement, offensive plays and defense.

You obviously don't realize that nearly everytime down the court teams are running set offensive plays, to you I assume it just looks like aimless running around. Basketball is also a game about highskill, no all the players aren't on the same skill level, you need to see a player like Manu Ginobili for example, I think after watching him play you would understand the point of basketball and not be so quick to insult it.

No doubt it's a very entertaining sport. You can take NBA as reference how it is popular around the world. Every team in that league has many foreign playing.

Don't forget Argentina, I think it's very popular there as well, at least they are doing well in recent Olympics and World Championships. A time ago it was the second sport in Venezuela (behind Baseball), but football has grown popularity there. It's also number one sport in Angola, I'm sure about that. :-)

Interesting list here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=43943

basketball is US only, its hardly even a whisper in any other country, and i mean ANY other country. Same as baseball, but yet its called the world series... egotism for you.

Toronto Blue Jays play in the MLB.

Regardless, I believe the reason why it is called the World Series is anyone from any nation can play in a MLB team, hence those teams represent "the world" in terms of professional baseball.

The simple point is, football is truly the global game. however big basketball might be in some countries, it's not a global phenomenon. Same with cricket and rugby. SI venture into Ice Hockey was really focussed on the American market and it didn't take off. For marketing purposes, surely concentrating on football makes the most sense.

No doubt it's a very entertaining sport. You can take NBA as reference how it is popular around the world. Every team in that league has many foreign playing.

Don't forget Argentina, I think it's very popular there as well, at least they are doing well in recent Olympics and World Championships. A time ago it was the second sport in Venezuela (behind Baseball), but football has grown popularity there. It's also number one sport in Angola, I'm sure about that. :-)

Interesting list here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=43943

Yes they have a world class team with Scola, Ginobili and Hermann, however I'm pretty sure they all come from the same small region in Argentina-it's a town where all the kids grow up playing basketball and hardly any play football-and pretty isolated from the rest of Argentina, Im not sure how popular basketball is there though, and even if it is second most popular of course football is ahead by far.

edit in that thread a guy from argentina confirms basketball is the second most popular sport in argentina. I would say basketball is a global game, considering it is well supported in north america, asia, europe, south America and some countries in Africa, such as Angola. That is all continents except Australia that basketball has high support, and Australia even has a pro league and a top level national team.

And in China it is the most popular sport, and 1 in 7 people in the world are Chinese. Basketball is a global sport, much more so than cricket or rugby for example, but perhaps it's true it doesn't have a big enough fan base yet to support the effort it would take to make a quality basketball manager game

Just because you don't understand a sport doesn't mean you should insult it. Basketball is a game based on team work, ball movement, offensive plays and defense.

You obviously don't realize that nearly everytime down the court teams are running set offensive plays, to you I assume it just looks like aimless running around. Basketball is also a game about highskill, no all the players aren't on the same skill level, you need to see a player like Manu Ginobili for example, I think after watching him play you would understand the point of basketball and not be so quick to insult it.

I do understand it, and have watched it on numerous occasions. I just have an issue with the fact that the scores are so high, and also the number of subtitutes. I KNOW how tiring it is, but to me the constant changes so no one even seems to break sweat seems excessive.

Similarly, I understand the tactical nature of it. The problem though is that in terms of ability there is a lot of continuity, and in terms of mentality, there are only a few who stand out. In other words, the majority of players are superbly talented, but somewhat thick.

I have not insulted basketball, so please don't be so quick to jump on my back and try to insult me back. All I'm saying is that tactics and ability don't matter as much as they could, and maybe should, because it's too easy to score.

Edit: Another thing, thinking about it, that annoys me in basketball is how lax the rules are. The amount of so-called 'travelling' that occurs even at the highest level without being punished infuriates me for some reason.

I have seen several international tournaments in cricket, rugby, football and such.

I have never seen a basketball world cup.

Closest thing is the Olympic event.

actually they have basketball world championships every 2 years which is basically a basketball world cup. Just because they don't show it on British TV doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Teams like Brazil, China, Argentina, Australia, Germany, Spain, France, United States, Venezuela, Lithuania, Turkey, Greece and Serbia are all strong representatives.

FIBA is the international basketball association.

I do understand it, and have watched it on numerous occasions. I just have an issue with the fact that the scores are so high, and also the number of subtitutes. I KNOW how tiring it is, but to me the constant changes so no one even seems to break sweat seems excessive.

Similarly, I understand the tactical nature of it. The problem though is that in terms of ability there is a lot of continuity, and in terms of mentality, there are only a few who stand out. In other words, the majority of players are superbly talented, but somewhat thick.

I have not insulted basketball, so please don't be so quick to jump on my back and try to insult me back. All I'm saying is that tactics and ability don't matter as much as they could, and maybe should, because it's too easy to score.

Edit: Another thing, thinking about it, that annoys me in basketball is how lax the rules are. The amount of so-called 'travelling' that occurs even at the highest level without being punished infuriates me for some reason.

Basketball is a game based more around explosiveness then it is around stamina and endurance. Even so, running up and down the court at a high speed is alot more exhausting then you think, and players like Kobe Bryant for example run 7 miles per game. Considering Kobe Byrant only averages 38 minutes a game, while some footballers who play 90 minute matches average the same distance, that can show you how demanding and exhausting the game is and maybe help you understand why teams are allowed unlimited substitutions, similar to Ice Hockey, which is even worse than basketball by the way because players are subbing off every two minutes in that sport, compared to basketball where the starters play 16 minutes at a time and then their backup comes on and plays only about 5 minutes at a time.

Basketball is a game of scoring runs, for example one team going on a 7-0 run and the other team responds with a 13-0 run, you are right it is easier to score than a sport like rugby or football, the point of the game is the shifting momentum. Yes in NBA the rules are lax around the superstars, which I feel is wrong, but if you want pure solid team basketball where no player is given star treatment and travels arent allowed, then simply watch Euroleagues instead or the upcoming European basketball championships

I have seen several international tournaments in cricket, rugby, football and such.

I have never seen a basketball world cup.

Closest thing is the Olympic event.

It depends where you live. I have never seen an international cricket or rugby tournament in Brazilian TV. Actually I think Brazilian television has never broadcasted a single cricket game, and Rugby is only on secondary cable channels to fill up their time.

On other hand, I can watch Voleyball World League, Futsal World Championship or Basketball World Championship, for men and women. Yes, it's also very popular among women. Italian, Spanish, NBA and European basketball leagues also are in Brazilian TV.

The simple point is, football is truly the global game. however big basketball might be in some countries, it's not a global phenomenon. Same with cricket and rugby. SI venture into Ice Hockey was really focussed on the American market and it didn't take off. For marketing purposes, surely concentrating on football makes the most sense.

The only way I found these forums and EHM in the first place was through the internet. SI didn't market the game enough. If EHM07 was actually in every shop in Canada instead of just through the internet, I would be playing EHM09 right now.

We Canadians live and breathe hockey!!! It's the greatest sport on earth. :cool:

The last minute of a basketball game takes 15-20 minutes to finish.

The only way I found these forums and EHM in the first place was through the internet. SI didn't market the game enough. If EHM07 was actually in every shop in Canada instead of just through the internet, I would be playing EHM09 right now.

We Canadians live and breathe hockey!!! It's the greatest sport on earth. :cool:

The last minute of a basketball game takes 15-20 minutes to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0AK5NLM9ow

and coincidentally those can be the most exciting, dramatic and tension filled 20 minutes in sport.

Also of note, that is the championship game and on the teams there are playing not just Americans but also

Marcin Gortat-Turkish

Michael Pietrus-French

Pau Gasol-Spanish

Sasha Vujacic-Slovenian

Sun Yue-Chinese

DJ Mbenga-Belgium

Adonal Foyle-St Vincent and Grenadines

Basketball looks like a global game to me

Archived