The American Dream

gavrenwick

In keeping with my tradition of my international management games, I start this one to keep myself occupied over the summer. I feel Athens to Adelphia will suffer because of this, but FM08 isn't a truly great game and right now I cannot get into it. So here goes my next adventure! This is played on FM09 with all leagues from England, Germany, Spain, Italy, USA and Australia.

Lets begin with me. My name is Jack Kristofersson. Not very American, I know. At least the Jack part is. Been many famous American Jack's such as Jack Bauer and... ok I'll get back to the point. The truth is, I was born in Iceland, and that would explain the Kristofersson part. I made my name in Iceland and was a very successful international. I won't brag, but my final shirt worn in an international is on display in the national stadium back in Iceland. The American part of me, I hear you asking? My mother was born and raised in New Jersey. She was a lovely woman. So here I am, I am only 34 and I'm heading across the water to the US of A. Am I scared? Course I chuffing am. But it's my new job. Thats the exciting part. Bob Bradley stepped down from the USA post for poor results. He's a good man, I met him not long back. I just spent my first three seasons maanging Fram back home in Iceland. Three titles and a UEFA Cup Quarter final appearance seemed to have made me a big name over the water. The USA came knocking on Fram's door, much to my surprise of course! You didn't think I even applied for it, did you? So here I go. As my plane begins to approach Chicago, you can't begin to understand how touchy my nerves are. This isn't Fram. This isn't even Iceland. This is the big time. This is The American Dream.

You want me to define the American Dream for you? I'll try.

The American Dream is an ethos of idealism regarding the United States of America, in which democratic ideals are translated within the American context into a benevolent view of its very purpose—that its national prosperity is founded in liberty, and that its liberty can be advanced through prosperity.

In the American Dream, the goals of all people (citizens and other residents) to secure a livelihood, gain an education, build friendships and family, and live free of oppression and in peace, are regarded as fundamental to the philosophy, principles, and purpose for which the United States exists.

Philisophical, don't you think? I'm gifted like that. Well, maybe Wikipedia helped me a little. My plane is touching down now friends and folowers. I have to meet Sunil Gulati soon. Wish me luck.

I am about to embark on The American Dream. One thing I'll say before I go. A wise man with the name of a snake and number once told me that The American Dream encompasses so much more than just my own hopes and dreams. With my job will come the hopes of a nation for success. The dreams of players to make their debuts and mark their name in the books for the future generations to look back and say "He was a legend." Its the dream of a nation to make it big in the sports world. The World Cup is no laughing matter. So there are my dreams, the dreams of the fans as a nation, the dreams of the players and the dreams of success. Help.

Dreams will be made, but some will have to be broken. Now be on your way. I'm a busy man!

A wise man with the name of a snake and number once told me that The American Dream encompasses so much more than just my own hopes and dreams. With my job will come the hopes of a nation for success.

Nice reference :D

Great start gav - here's hoping America go towards great things (if only to keep 10-3 and copper happy :D)

Thank you gentlemen. Glad you could spot the reference, viperk1!! Certainly hope the USA can become something new under Jack!

Wednesday 4th June

The meeting with Sunil had gone well. He was as excited as I was. But he did drop a bombshell on me. Bob had quit an impressive four days before the World Cup qualifiers began. The Cayman Islands were expecting a visit from the USA and I hadn't even met the squad! As I sat in a taxi (paid for by Sunil, as if I would py it myself!) on the way to the airport (again!) to catch the plane with my players who I hadn't met. As I met with Sunil, I also met with the reporters present for a brief conference abotu my appointment et cetera et cetera. I was informed of the squad by my new assistant Piotr Nowak.

In the net I have Tim Howard, Jon Busch and Brad Guzan. Personally I prefer Howard over Guzan as the Everton keeper has been prolific since joining the blue half of Merseyside. Guzan is the current understudy to former USA keeper Brad Friedel at Aston Villa. Busch is an unknown for me though. He plays for Chicago and has 9 caps, but has featured little for any club since 2004.

In central defence my current choices are Carlos Bocanegra, Cory Gibbs, Oguchi Onyewu, Gregg Berhalter and Jimmy Conrad. Plenty of nice choices for me, and the headache is rather nice in all honesty. Age isn't Berhalter's best friend, but he is solid none the less. The stand outs are Liege defender Onyewu and captain Bocanegra. I may look to change that, though I haven't decided yet. Conrad is the weakest defender out of them, but is still good.

The right backs consist of Steven Cherundolo and Frankie Hedjuk. Cherundolo is the better of the two in my honest opinion, but Hedjuk has many more caps and is a veteran. His ability to play on both sides makes a good utility player and substitute.

The left backs are rather weak though. The only left back to stand out to me is Jonathan Bornstein who can play all up the left side. This side will need to be sorted out.

Central midfield consists of some big names. Danny Szetela, Pablo Mastroeni, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Joe Vide, Steve Ralston and Sacha Kljestan. My preferred options here are of course Bradley and Kljestan. Both are excellent players and Bradley is making a name for himself in Germany. Vide and Ralston will unlikely be in my first squad.

The right midfield is set up nicely, Clint Dempsey taking the position. Cover will be needed, but hes already most likely the best option. He is one of the few Americans to play in the Premiership.

The left side of midfield is also set up nicely, Heath Pearce being the main stand out there. Eddie Lewis will provide adequate backup for now.

The strikers are set up nicely aswell. New Villarreal signing Jozy Altidore is a hot talent, but for now will need to make way for the older hands. Former Manchester United trainee Kenny Cooper and New England's Taylor Twellman will most likely start against Cayman Islands. Houstons Brian Ching is also in the squad but is out injured right now.

So there you have it. My view on the current selection. Don't fear though, I have no doubt some will not be there when I choose my own squad. Now, I have to start thinking about Cayman Islands.

The Cayman Islands aren't a great footballing nation, that much is obvious just by looking at their stadium. Truman Boden is only a nine thousand capacity stadium, with seven thousand of those being seated. Anyway, he is the match report of my first game in charge. I didn't write it, of course. Im respect to my squad decision, I opted for Busch in an attempt for him to make his name. I also dropped Donovan for Cooper so the young American can give it a shot against the Caymans.

Saturday 7th June - vs. Cayman Islands, Truman Boden

North American World Cup Qualifiers 1st Phase 2nd Round 1st Leg

USA Squad;

GK; Jon Busch

DL; Jonathan Bornstein

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Carlos Bocanegra

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; Heath Pearce

MR; Clint Dempsey

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Kenny Cooper

ST; Taylor Twellman

Subs; Tim Howard, Jimmy Conrad, Danny Szetela, Landon Donovan, Frankie Hedjuk, Maurice Edu, Jozy Altidore

In truth, this was never going to be a challenge and it took just two minutes for Twellman to receive a killer pass from Pearce, sending him through on goal and a good shot lashed across goal. Bornstein picks up an injury but before he is taken off, Pearce is hauled down in the area by Corales. Cherundolo steps up and leathers it past the keeper for two nil. Bornstein then goes off for Hedjuk. Eleven minutes gone, and Vidal gives away a penalty this time. Twellman opts to choose it, but he sends it well wide of the goal. Some simple wing play though brings the third goal, Dempsey crossing for Pearce who sliced his shot onto the head of Kljestan, who made no mistake with his header. Dempsey is having a field day on the wing and splits open the defence to cross for Twellman who no-one marked at the back, and he headed it in with ease for his second of the day. Somehow, Cayman Islands stage an attack and it surprises everyone. The USA defence do not move as Napoles runs round the back of Cherundolo and pokes the ball home! Pearce picks up an injury before half time and is replaced with Donovan. USA start the second half with constant attacking, and despite being unable to hold them off, Cayman Islands escape when Cooper hits the bar twice. Altidore comes on for Cooper. The Cayman Islands enjoy a spell of domination late on, but despite this, the game dies on its knees and the game finishes at the four one scoreline.

Cayman Islands 1 (Napoles 34)

USA 4 (Twellman 2, 38, Cherundolo pen8, Kljestan 14)

Attendance: 8973

Man of the Match; Sacha Kljestan

I was overall rather pleased with the victory. I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the goal we conceded but what can you do? We shouldn't have any problems in tying up the game next week. God bless America.

After the game though, I had to call up some replacements for the injured Bornstein and Pearce. I opted for Ramiro Corrales and Bobby Convey as my choices.

Welcome to FMS Shanghai. I'm flattered you think so of my story and I for one would read your attempt with Canada or anyone else you choose.

It was nice for me to read in the papers that Sacha Kljestan, third goal scorer against Cayman Islands, was delighted with his first international goal and wanted to thank me personally! He's a good lad and I hope he gets another in the next game. One thing I have noticed about a lot of the American players available for choice have very un-American names. But then again, I couldn't give you an American name if I tied. Piotr also gave me a list of fixtures involving American players, but with me just moving across, I decided to give it a miss this week.

The day before the game brought a interview with Bocanegra with the captain declaring that the fans he himself are calling for a demolition job. Its a nice thought, but I'm of the view that if they sit behind the ball then we won't make much headway. Sadly for me, Eddie Lewis got himself injured in training and I can't call up anyone on such short notice. It shouldn't matter much, and his injury is only a short one. Now, for the Cayman Islands round two. Wish me luck!

Saturday 14th June - vs. Cayman Islands, RFK Stadium

North American World Cup Qualifiers 1st Phase 2nd Round 2nd Leg

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Ramiro Corrales

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Carlos Bocanegra

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; Bobby Convey

MR; Clint Dempsey

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Brian Ching

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Brad Guzan, Maurice Edu, Danny Szetela, Cory Gibbs, Kenny Cooper, Pablo Mastroeni, Jozy Altidore

This match doesn't start as fast as the previous one, the first effort coming from Onyewu after ten minutes with a powerful header. USA's passing looks slick and a great chancew falls to Bradley and his shot is vicious but the keeper does well to palm it away. A long range effort from Donovan follows but USA can't seem to get around the defence with any ease. Bocanegra doesn't lead by example and a poor challenge on Napoles sees him given the first yellow of the day. USA finally get their first goal of the game, a great cross from Convey for Donovan finding Cayman defender Guerrero instead who helplessly turns it into his own net. Late call up Corrales then turns provider for a second before half time as his cross from ther left to right finds Dempsey who volleys exceptionally in for two nil. At half time Gibbs comes on for volatile and red card likely Bocanegra. Cayman Islands start the second half much better than USA, and a unlikely cross becomes a shot and scrapes off the crossbar to the shock of Howard. Ching is booked for a foul before a powerful by him is blocked on the line by Ramiro. USA re-assert their dominance and Convey once more turns provider for an own goal when Kljestan can't make the cross and Vidal turns it into his own net. Altidore comes on for the wishywashy Ching. USA continue to pummel the Cayman defence but can't get anywhere past the woodwork, which is hit twice. A final push by Altidore is too late and the whistle goes on a three nil win and progression to the next stage.

USA 3 (Guerrero OG 39, Dempsey 45, Vidal OG 59)

Cayman Islands 0

Attendance: 44,988

Man of the Match; Clint Dempsey

I was pleased with the win but would have likd more goals. Seems everyone else did too, Bocanegra's words coming back to haunt him as we only truly scored once. After the game the group stages for the Second Phase were drawn. We ended up with Panama, Jamaica and Costa Rica. Should I be scared I hear you asking. Was George Washington scared when he became first President of the USA? Or a more familiar saying if you're English, Do bears sh*t in the woods?

The draw had given me some reservations. Jamaica are no walkovers for a start. A strikeforce consisting of two English Premiership strikers (King and Fuller for those of you who don't know who I am referring to!) is one to fear. I now had over 60 days to decide upon my next squad, and I certainly had a few things to think over. There will be a fair few casualties from the current squad, thats a definite. So, onto my squad selection:

For my goalkeepers I had no qualms about keeping Tim Howard and Brad Guzan in the squad. They are definitely the better keepers in the national pool. For my third choice, I recalled veteran Matt Reis of New England Revolution. He has had a good season in goal for them, and I felt it deserved a call up. At 33, though, hes not a long-long term option.

I wasn't fully happy with the choices of Bob Bradley for the centre backs. Oguchi Onyewu and captain Carlos Bocanegra kept their places. I dropped Gibbs, Berhalter and Conrad in my decison to instead call up formerly capped Watford player Jay DeMerit and Chicago Malian Boukary Soumare. Jay is a good and proven centre back while Soumare has the talent to succeed, but could ultimately flop too.

For my right backs, I liked Steven Cherundolo and decided he would keep his spot for sure. For his backup, I wanted to bring up Logan Pause, but due to injury, I called up probably a better player in Charles Kazlauskas. He plays in the second Dutch division, and is very talented.

The left back position suffered from injuries in the last few matches with the Cayman Islands, so Ramiro Corrales keeps his spot on the left side. With a severe lack of options, Frankie Hedjuk also retains his place as backup to Ramiro. The two, however, are moving on in age, and I will need to look dead hard for replacements.

So, on to the centre of midfield. Three of Bradley's men retain their places, Michael Bradley (his son, funnily), Sacha Kljestan and Maurice Edu of Rangers. The fourth and new addition to the squad is Jose Francisco Torres, currently plying his trade with Pachuca. I am really happy with the centre of midfield and think they all have good futures.

The left of midfield also took a serious injury depletion with the loss of Pearce, so Bobby Convey keeps his place in the squad. The second left midfielder to join up with my squad is Chicago's Justin Mapp. He's solid, and his ability to play on both sides makes him dangerous and a useful option. My favourite though is DaMarcus Beasley, who is called up, but injury saw him removed again.

The right side of midfield is the station of Clint Dempsey and the Premiership player will keep that spot. His backup is the young Nate Jaqua from Seattle Sounders. He lacks pace but is technically excellent. Also called up is Freddy Adu. The Monaco man has a very bright future ahead of him, and he will certainly play a part for the USA in years to come.

The strikeforce is something I took great pride in picking. Jozy Altidore, Landon Donovan and Taylor Twellman all kept their spots, with Cooper and Ching losing theirs. The fourth and final spot in my team fell to legendary Ante Razov. His excellent years of service proved to me he can guide the new feet to glory.

Now, on to Independence Park in KINGSTON!

Wednesday 20th August - vs. Jamaica, Independence Park

North American World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase, Group 2 - Match 1

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Frankie Hedjuk

DR; Charles Kazlauskas

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; Bobby Convey

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Ante Razov

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Matt Reis, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Steven Cherundolo, Justin Mapp, Jose Francisco Torres

Hedjuk wastes no time in making this fixture easier for the USA, his tackle ending with injury to Marlon King, and he is taken off. Jamaica, however, are very strong and their squad boasts some big names. Gardner forces a save from Howard before Williamson cracks a shot off the post. Razov is booked after a half hour for a foolish foul on Gardner. It takes thirty five long minutes for USA to fathom a chance, and sadly its poor as Convey strikes with his left foot at an oblique angle, and the ball never looked destined for the net. Jamaica are good going forward, and Euell forces a save from Howard late in the half. Somehow, against all the run of play, USA take the lead before half time. A great from Convey ending with a cross to Donovan who heads it wonderfully in for one nil. Razov doesn't appear for the second half, Altidore coming on in place. Second half is much of the same as the first, end to end attacks with no finishing. A great cross from Convey once again causing chaos, but Kazlauskas couldn't put it into the back of the net. Another great cross from the left finding Donovan, but his header was always going over the bar. It was only a matter of time before Convey got his second assist, and he did, a good cross to the near post finding Altidore, who heads it off Thomas with a powerful nod and therefore an own goal. Bradley has been quiet in the game, and with a yellow too, is taken off cautiously for Torres to claim his second cap. Jamaica don't give the game up thoug, Euell forcing two good saves from Howard. Hedjuk feels like getting on the scoresheet and a solo run almost gives him that, but his finish was poor and showed him as the full back he is. Neither side have much more to give and USA claim on a good, hard earned win.

Jamaica 0

USA 2 (Donovan 40, Thomas OG 61)

Attendance: 34,978

Man of the Match; Landon Donovan

I was truly, truly delighted to get one over on John Barnes. I'm sorry, right, but the man can not manage! Great player, poor manager. It was a good win though, and Bakary Soumare thanked me after the game for having the faith to give him his first cap.

Today also saw the Italians steal the throne for hosting the Olympic Games in 2016. Doesn't bother me much. Sadly, for the Costa Rica game I will be without Soumare who is injured, so I have called up Houston's Bobby Boswell as his replacement. I was also really delighted to have the chance to recall DaMarcus Beasley. Other than that, no changes were made for the two upcoming matches. I'm so excited. After being stuck in Iceland for so long, I will have visited three tropical countries in a month!

Saturday 6th September - vs. Costa Rica, Ricardo Saprissa Ayma

North American World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase, Group 2 - Match 2

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Ramiro Corrales

DR; Charles Kazlauskas

DC; Carlos Bocanegra

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; DaMarcus Beasley

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Jose Francisco Torres

ST; Nate Jaqua

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Matt Reis, Bobby Boswell, Clint Dempsey, Ante Razov, Steven Cherundolo, Bobby Convey, Sacha Kljestan

USA start with good attacking flow and nearly break lucky when Bradley's shot hits the post, but the keeper smothers up the rebound. Costa Rica then make the game ten times harder for themselves when Oscar Rojas is sent off for a reckless tackle rom behind. Russell goes close with a freekick for Costa Rica, but then can't push forward with any momentum. The breakthrough coems when Adu puts in a great corner to the nearpost where Donovan takes a touch away from the defender and smashes it in. The lead could be doubled only moments later, but both Bradley and Jaqua cannot apply the finishing touch. Adu continues to be a dynamo on the right wing, but sadly no-one seems capable of finishing with precision. Half time is a welcome break for Costa Rica. Dempsey comes on for the yellow-carded Torres. It takes just two minutes of the second half for Adu to make his impact. He wins a freekick on the edge of the box, and cooly steps up to take it, bending it round the wall and into the net for two nil. It could have been three when Onyewu wins a header in the box, but it just bounces wide. Jaqua is looking dead tired and he is brought off for old hand Razov. Dempsey then has a good chance for three nil, but his shot is dragged just wide again. Donovan picks up an injury and is replaced with Kljestan. The USA continue to knock on the door for a third, Adu, Bradley and Onyewu all wasting good chances. A late yellow card for Borges is the last event of the match and a good win again for the USA.

Costa Rica 0

USA 2 (Donovan 25, Adu 48)

Attendance: 24,970

Man of the Match; Freddy Adu

Thanks alot tenthree. Torres certainly does have some talent.

I heard in the news that Gianfranco Zola was in the stands for the match against Costa Rica. I'm a big fan of the little Italian, and his work as a footballer was just genius. So glad I never had to defend against him. Back to the point, he was watching Donovan apparently. Donovan is playing well at the moment and he did get a goal, so maybe my man Landon could be heading to Upton Park to play Premiership football. He won't play against Panama though, injury crocking him out of it. Freddy Adu also thanked me for him being able to grab his first goal for the USA, and a cracking freekick it was too. I have also been todl to watch out for Blas Perez. The Panamian striker is talented, so he will need watching. Time for Panama!

Wednesday 10th September - vs. Panama, Qwest Field

North American World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase, Group 2 - Match 3

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Ramiro Corrales

DR; Charles Kazlauskas

DC; Carlos Bocanegra

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; DaMarcus Beasley

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Clint Dempsey

ST; Ante Razov

ST; Taylor Twellman

Subs; Matt Reis, Bobby Boswell, Jose Francisco Torres, Nate Jaqua, Steven Cherundolo, Bobby Convey, Sacha Kljestan

USA start with the intentions of grabbing a third win thankfully, and Dempsey almost breaks the deadlock with a fizzing right footed drive. Adu then works some miracles on the right and finds space, crossing for Dempsey who heads it just onto the psot and out. Dempsey then turns provider later on as his through ball sets Beasley, but the Rangers player can't apply the finish. Bradley continues in his tradition of long shots, one narrowly going over on this occasion. Thats all for the first half though, and hopefully the second is a bit more alive. USA continue the game in the same fashion; knocking on the door but not being allowed to enter. Great wing passing from Kazlauskas to Beasley sees the left sider played in, but he can't apply the finish again. Razov then shows some skill to beat his marker and crosses for Dempsey, who's header is wayward. It just looks like one of those games. In an attempt to liven it up, Torres and Jaqua come on for Razov and Bradley. Chances are just few and far between though, Dempsey continuing to be the only one attempting anything with a long range effort. A corner from Torres finds Dempsey in the box, but the big mans header is well saved by the Panama keeper. It takes Panama 75minutes to register their first effort on goal, Perez shooting wide form a good position. The deadlock is finally broken when Twellman and Adu combine to play in substitute Jaqua, who threads the ball through the keepers legs for 1-0. Panama suffer a comeback blow when Carlos Phillips is sent off for a second bookable offence. The extra man seems to pay dividends when Corrales crosses for Jaqua, but Twellman nips in and heads it in for the second. A late switch when Twellman comes off for Kljestan. Matters little as the game runs out in favour of USA for a hard earned win.

USA 2 (Jaqua 77, Twellman 83)

Panama 0

Attendance: 24,971

Man of the Match; Taylor Twellman

To get a third win on the bounce in the group was excellent for us. I can't deny my happiness at us not conceding a goal either. So at the half way stage, here is how it looks:

World Cup 2010 Qualification

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 1st   |       | U.S.A.     |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 0     | +6    | 9     | 
 | ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 2nd   |       | Panama     |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 5     | 5     | 0     | 6     | 
 | 3rd   |       | Costa Rica |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 5     | 8     | -3    | 1     | 
 | 4th   |       | Jamaica    |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 5     | -3    | 1     | 

This is a really fun read!!! (especially as an American who has just begun what will be a long road to recovery after today's confed cup final). It's very interesting to see your picks!! And I think you've made some quality ones!!!

So please, keep them coming!!!! :D

Thanks so much Greg. I'm glad you approve of my picks and hope they continue to play well. I'll try my best to make the USA perform like they should. Thanks aswell firebracelet.

I really am ecstatic with the start we have made. The victories were all sweet to me, and they continue to feel like my first match. I did however receive some sad news today as 102 cap legend Kasey Keller is on the verge of retirement after breaking his foot. He is a true legend of the game making over 500 appearances including seven seasons in the Premier league in England. I also recieved news on the World Rankings during the gap between matches. We have moved up four places to 25th now. Spain stayed number one, of course. I wonder if a friendly is out of the equation...

I also recieved bad news as Kazlauskas and Bocanegra were ruled out with injuries that would see them miss the matches against Panama and Costa Rica. It was also today I removed Piotr Nowak from his job as my assistant. The guy did a great job, but I really am looking to bring in my own staff. Other staff members to lose their jobs are John Hackworth, Brian Maisoneuve and Mike Sorber. And it is with happiness that I announce former Bolton Wanderers and Celtic player Alan Thompson as my new assistant. He takes up his duties immediately. And now for my squad:

Brad Guzan, Tim Howard and Matt Reis keep their keeping spots.

The right backs consist of Steven Cherundolo and Kazlauskas' replacement Ricardo Clark. Logan Pause would have been my choice but the guy is injured once more.

The left backs remain the same with both spots going to Ramiro Corrales and Frankie Hedjuk.

The removal of Bocanegra sees Danny Califf (currently playing in Denmark) called up in his place. Nothing new elsewhere as Onyewu, DeMerit and Soumare are chosen as the other three.

The rigth side of midfield stays unchanged with Freddy Adu and Clint Dempsey keeping their places.

Their is a change to the left side of the midfield as Justin Mapp is taken out of the squad for the returning Heath Pearce. Bobby Convey and DaMarcus Beasley keep their spots.

Central midfield stays unchanged as Jose Francisco Torres, Sacha Kljestan and Maurice Edu keep their places. Michael Bradley is dropped through injury.

The strikeforce remains unchanged too as Taylor Twellman, Nate Jaqua, Ante Razov and Jozy Altidore all retain their places. Landon Donovan is recalled after his injury.

So there you have it. It's subject to change of course depending on peoples own stupidity. For our next game, we will be live from Kansas City. I am however getting bombarded for not including Danny Szetela in my squads, but he isn't playing for Racing and I need fit players.

Jozy Altidore couldn't make it through 3 days without injuring himself, as such is dropped, being replaced with Eddie Johnson who is back from a long term injury. Shame because Jozy was in line to start.

Saturday 11th October - vs. Costa Rica, KC Wizards Stadium

North American World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase, Group 2 - Match 4

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Frankie Hedjuk

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Jay DeMerit

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; DaMarcus Beasley

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Eddie Johnson

ST; Taylor Twellman

Subs; Matt Reis, Bakary Soumare, Landon Donovan, Nate Jaqua, Ricardo Clark, Bobby Convey, Clint Dempsey

With such a decimated squad, one might think that this was a weakened USA side, but thats by no means true. Costa Rica start the game smoother, and Lopez attempts to bring the house down with a long range shot, but Howard didn't have to worry. An early injury to Adu dampens the American mood, Dempsey coming on in his place. One might have viewed that as a tactical work of wonder when one minute later, Dempsey strides past the full back, and crosses the ball in, only to see it float over the keeper and into the net. Young prodigy Torres goes close with a freekick half hour in, but the young midfielder didn't really catch the ball right. Sadly for the USA, they cannot keep a hold of their lead and a disastrous error by DeMerit allows Fernandez in, and he lashes an excellent shot past Howard. A great chance comes before half time for Torres, but his shot is well saved by the keeper. Dempsey then shows hsi true skill when he beats two defenders and sidefoots with ease past the keepr for 2-1 and regains the lead. Dempsey has been explosive and goes in at half time to an ovation. No changes are made at half time and USA come out with the sole intention of wrapping up the win. Johnson goes close when a cross from Kljestan finds his left boot, but the volley is well saved again. Johnson continues to be a threat, another shot being saved well. Donovan comes on to get some match fitness and replaces the underpar Twellman. He almost makes an immediate impact when he races through on goal, but he couldn't slide the ball past the keeper. The game seems to die out before a great cross from Donovan finds Kljestan who somehow smashes an immensely powerful shot onto the bar. The Costa Rican keeper, who had a terrific game so far then messes up terribly. He dwindled on a passback, and Donovan challenged him twice before winning it and tapping it into an empty net. Stand in captain Frankie Hedjuk gets a late yellow for a suspicious tackle. The game ends with the USA tying up a 6th straight win, but it was definitely a day for the substitutes.

USA 3 (Dempsey 9, 44, Donovan 87)

Costa Rica 1 (Fernandez 39)

Attendance: 18,476

Man of the Match; Taylor Twellman

I was delighted to hear that the win over Costa Rica and Jamaica's draw with Panama meant we had qualified from this stage. Onwards and upwards!

Thank you Blanco. The CONCACAF does the following:

- Two Qualfying Knockout Rounds, 12 teams progress.

- Three Groups in the Group Stage, 6 teams progress.

- The 6 qualified teams go into another group, 3 qualifying for the World Cup.

- Fourth place in the group play the 5th place side from CONMEBOL, winner taking a spare place in the World Cup.

Hope this helps.

I now have the fun trip to Panama to plan and the game that goes with it. We have qualified now, so I really am tempted to give some of the other players a chance to prove themselves. If they fail, they will be out on their ear quicker than they could comprehend. Kljestan spoke out before the game stating that us as a side are confident of the match, I'm not sure if he realised he won't be playing, but his confidence is refreshing. The World Rankings were also released the day before the Panama match, with the USA not moving a spot and staying 25th. Maurice Edu also picked a dead leg, and ruled himself out of the upcoming game. Shame for him as he was in line to start.

Wednesday 15th October - vs. Panama, Estadio Revolucion

North American World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase, Group 2 - Match 5

USA Squad;

GK; Matt Reis

DL; Ramiro Corrales

DR; Ricardo Clark

DC; Danny Califf

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; Bobby Convey

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Clint Dempsey

ST; Nate Jaqua

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Tim Howard, Bakary Soumare, Taylor Twellman, Eddie Johnson, Steven Cherundolo, DaMarcus Beasley, Sacha Kljestan

The decision to drop a few of the first teamers immediately returns to haunt Jack as Panama score right off, a cross from Ramirez finding Perez, who heads it well past Reis for the opening goal. USA attempt to get straight back in it, Donovan setting up Torres for a long raneg shot that cracked off the bar. Ricardo Clark is a demon on the right side, and his running causes trouble when his final cross finds Dempsey, who sadly just heads over. The shots begin to rain down on the Panamian goal, Donovan and Jaqua both missing glorious chances to bring the USA level. A corner from Torres finds Donovan at the near post, but once more, the header is poor and doesn't even test the keeper. Somehow, Panama manage to make it to half time in front. Adu doesn't return for the second through an injury, and Kljestan comes on. Jaqua also comes off for Eddie Johnson. The second half starts much more like the recent USA performances, Onyewu and Johnson forcing good saves. Donovan does well to keep working the spaces, and his great cross sets up Califf, who annoyingly fires over from a good position and not even being closed down. The efforts continue to just be long range shots, Torres pulling a few off, as Panama close out the attacks splendidly. It just seems like it isn't going to be USA's day as Johnson hits the crossbar twice in two minutes. The game completely dies out as the USA are forced into defeat for the first time in 6 games, one they shouldn't have really lost.

Panama 1 (Perez 3)

USA 0

Attendance: 21,988

I cannot deny the anger I feel towards that defeat in Panama. The performance in general was poor and quite even how Dempsey got man of match eludes me. So now we must look to our final match against John Barnes' Jamaica as we seek to win this group.

Chivas USA were the best team overall in 2008 and won a place in the North American Cup. Good on them. Might have to take a look at a few of their players. I was extremely disappointed to learn that we also dropped two spots in the World Rankings due to the defeat to Panama.

For the Jamaica match I make just one change as Vitoria forward Michael Channell replaces Ante Razov. Now, bring it on John Barnes!

Wednesday 19th November - vs. Jamaica, Qwest Field

North American World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase, Group 2 - Match 6

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Ramiro Corrales

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Jay DeMerit

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; DaMarcus Beasley

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Clint Dempsey

ST; Michael Channell

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Matt Reis, Bakary Soumare, Taylor Twellman, Eddie Johnson, Ricardo Clark, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan

Jamaica begin the game with a hunger to win, Fraser testing Howard early on with a low shot. Despite this flourishing start, the game dies for 20 minutes. Nothing of note, not even a booking to report on. Fuller then creates a chance and shoots just wide, Howard helping it on its way. USA finally get a chance, Adu laying the ball off for Torres who smashes a shot goalwards only to see it whack off the bar. Going with the run of the play, it is Jamaica who take the lead. A missed interception by Onyewu resulting in Fuller breaking free and shooting past the onrushing Howard. The USA are playing god awfully, and somehow keep the score at just oen goal when Howard saves well from an unmarked Fraser. Jamaica though deservedly lead at the break. No changes are made at half time as Jack seems to have faith in the men he has chosen. Sadly it continues to be Jamaica's game as Fuller whizzes a shot past the post before heading one over. Kljestan and Twellman come on for Donovan and Dempsey. A nice piece of play, and most likely the first of the game for the USA, sees Torres break though, but his low shot is saved by the goalies legs. Corrales comes off injured for Clark. Somehow the game looks dead and buried for the Americans before a loose ball bobbles into the path of Torres who with such force smashes it into the bottom corner and a dramatic late equaliser. It isn't what was wanted, but it is better than defeat.

USA 1 (Torres 93)

Jamaica 1 (Fuller 37)

Attendance: 24,968

Man of the Match; Ricardo Fuller

| Pos   | Inf   | Team       |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | 1st   | Q     | U.S.A.     |       | 6     | 4     | 1     | 1     | 10    | 3     | +7    | 13    | 
 | 2nd   | Q     | Panama     |       | 6     | 3     | 1     | 2     | 6     | 6     | 0     | 10    | 
 | 3rd   |       | Costa Rica |       | 6     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 8     | 11    | -3    | 7     | 
 | 4th   |       | Jamaica    |       | 6     | 0     | 3     | 3     | 3     | 7     | -4    | 3     | 

Coming first or second in the group, it mattered little. Along with us and Panama, four other teams would be joining us in the next phase. They would be the obvious qualifiers of Canada, Mexico and two on the up teams in the form of Honduras and Trinidad & Tobago. I wasn't impressed with how we ended the last group stage, so I would be looking for a remarkable improvement in the next game. We would be opening this stage at home to Honduras. I recieved two messages after the final Jamaica game from Michael Channell and Jose Manuel Torres thanking me for their first goals and caps respectively.

I received news regarding the draw for the Confederations Cup group stage draw. We will be up against Afircan Nations winners Egypt, Asian Nations winners Iraq and World Cup holders Italy. It would be a tough group to get out of, but I do believe we can do it. Victory over Iraq is surely a definite...

I can guarantee you won't believe what happened eight days before Christmas.. AZ Alkmaar approached me to be their manager! Dirk Scheringa somehow got my number and asked me directly to take the job. I had to respectfully say no as for now my priorities lie in getting USA to the World Cup and to do well in the Confed. Cup. The World Rankings were released on the same day and we remained in 27th place.

More jobs were linked to my name with the most notable ones being West Ham United, Ajax and Murcia. I decided to distance myself from all of the posts so that I could not get distracted and allow others to et the jobs for their own merits rather than being a second choice. The World Rankings were announced once more, and we stayed in 27th.

January 24th brought the draw for the group stages of the North American Gold Cup. Us, as holders, would be definitely looking in keeping the trophy. We were drawn with Jamaica (a side we have good knowledge of), Honduras (a side I hope we can gain knowledge on soon) and Haiti (a side we have no clue on).

If you don't get out of that confed cup group we're gonna be calling for Bob Bradley to come back ;P

And just for the record, Canda's not an obvious choice to qualify for the last group of CONCACAF qualifying. In fact they didn't make it this year. And Trinidad qualified for Germany in '06...

And i'm only being the annoying guy who points these things out cos i LOVE this thread so much :D

Thanks guys. And thanks Greg, I didn't actually know about the past. I personally think Canada have a bit of talent as a footballing nation though, so wasn't surprised when they made it. Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you love the thread! (and you're not annoying at all)

So now I have to choose my squad for the match against Honduras.

In goal I am happy to make just one change as Brad Guzan and Tim Howard are joined by Kaiserslauterns Luis Robles. The guy has done well for Kaiserslautern II this season, and is on his way to DC United.

At left back I have dropped Frankie Hedjuk but retained Ramiro Corrales. Hedjuk is just too old now, and the time has come for some fresher blood. Joining Corrales in the left back set up is Marvell Wynne. The guy is just super, super fast and played every game for Toronto FC Last season.

At right back is still the ever present Steven Cherundolo, whilst Ricardo Clark is dropped through injury. I decide to opt for Sheffield Wednesday's Franklin Simek. He is a very good full back and the good thing is that he is mid-season right now, meaning his fitness will be better than any on holiday American called up.

At the centre back slots, Oguchi Onyewu and Jay DeMerit keep their spots. Danny Califf is dropped and Bakary Soumare is injured. Carlos Bocanegra therefore regains his spot from the dropped Califf and Jonathan Spector makes a big return from injury in place of Soumare.

So, onto left midfield. DaMarcus Beasley retains his spot but Bobby Convey is dropped. Heath Pearce is called up to regain his spot.

On the right, the young prodigy Freddy Adu retains his place while a half injured Clint Dempsey is his backup.

There are two major hits to the centre of midfield. Jose Manuel Torres picked up a ban from his last game for yellow cards, and Sacha Kljestan is injured. Michael Bradley returns to the fold. Danny Szetela also returns after an absence in international wilderness. Lider Marmol also gets a call up after impressing for Real Madrid's B Team Castilla. The only surviving MC is Maurice Edu, who keeps his spot.

So, finally, onto the strikers. We aren't getting great amount of goals from our forward line, but Landon Donovan, Taylor Twellman, Eddie Johnson and Michael Channell all keep their places. Jaqua though, picks up a late injury and is replaced with Charlie Davies.

Wednesday 11th February - vs. Honduras, KC Wizards Stadium

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 1

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Marvell Wynne

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Jonathan Spector

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

ML; DaMarcus Beasley

MR; Freddu Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Maurice Edu

ST; Eddie Johnson

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Lider Marmol, Carlos Bocanegra, Heath Pearce, Danny Szetela, Charlie Davies, Clint Dempsey

Its a quiet start before a freekick is given for a foul on Adu on the edge of the box. Bradley steps up and rifles it 20 yards into the top corner. A terrific freekick and an excellent start. Despite Honduras having some talented players, they are on the backfoot pretty much every time. Wynne putting a crossfield ball to Simek, who's volley just went wide. Palacios does eventually force a save from Howard as the Everton keeper had to get down low for the Spurs midfielders skidding shot. An excellent pass by Bradley to Johnson sees him turn and fire past the keeper for 2-0, only for the goal to be ruled out. The same happens again ten minutes later when Donovan fires past the keeper after a special Bradley pass, but that is ruled out for offside too. The half is worked out well by USA and they head in during half time a goal to the good. The second half starts just aswell for the USA, Beasley going close with a left footed striker after being played through by Donovan. Honduras continue to be limited to long range shots, Carlos Costly attempting it twice and seeing both efforts fly away. Johnson plays a grat layoff for Edu, who smashes a good shot goalwards but sadly sees it tipped over. Two substitutes at once as Johnson and Adu come off for Dempsey and Davies. The USA are made to pay when Honduras break on the counter. Benfica striker David Suazo makes no mistake when Howard comes out to meet him, and he happily slides it past him to level the game. USA look dejected, but Donovan fights well to keep the game in hope of an Amerian win, his long shot thundering off the crossbar. The USA finally egt that elusive winning goal when Donovan plays Beasley through, only to see his goal ruled out again. Three in this game alone. The two minutes of injury vanish quickly and the game ends a draw. A disappointing result to be honest, but with three goals ruled out for offside, surely they all weren't?

USA 1 (Bradley 4)

Honduras 1 (Suazo 69)

Attendance: 18,493

Man of the Match; David Suazo

Thanks mark. You're right, the team is faltering just a little. With Mexico next, it will be our sternest test yet.

The poor draw with Honduras affected the side quite badly, and they now seem thoroughly dejected. We have Mexico next, and we are going to need to pull a performance from under our hats for this one. They have an extremely strong squad. I heard rumours that people were already on my back, but I can't be too sure of their validity. The World Rankings were announced after the game, and we dropped one solitary place to 28th. Thats thanks to Japan, who moved up 5 places after a thoroughly convincing 3-0 win over Australia. Sven Goran Eriksson is going to be rubbing his hands in glee. Half of my team is out crocked! Lider Marmol, Jonathan Spector, Heath Pearce, Michael Bradley. On top of those, DaMarcus Beasley, Freddy Adu and Taylor Twellman are all struggling for fitness.

Jose Manuel Torres and Sacha Kljestan return to the squad in place of Pearce and Marmol. Chad Marshall is called up to replace the outgoing Spector. This is going to be a tough, tough game. So we have two vital games coming up. Mexico and Trinidad. We need six points if I'm honest. Anyway, here we go...

Saturday 28th March - vs. Mexico, Estadio Azteca

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 2

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Marvell Wynne

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Carlos Bocanegra

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Danny Szetela

MC; Jose Manuel Torres

ST; Eddie Johnson

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Steven Cherundolo, Ramiro Corrales, Chad Marshall, Maurice Edu, Taylor Twellman, Clint Dempsey

The game is awfully slow getting off the ground, Marquez going closest with a dipping volley from 10 yards out. USA do hold their own though, Johnson going close with a flicking header. Its a truely dire match though, neither side really keeping possession for a longish period, giving the ball away far too much. Mexico get a lucky break 25 minutes in when a shot from Vela clatters off Onyewu, and then back into his path, and his second striker is much better, nestling into the bottom corner to put Mexico ahead. The half once more dies after this goal, a sitter for Torres flashing by in an instant before the ref calls time on a half that was as dead as a dodo. The second half starts with a bit more flair as USA attempt to get back into the game and they manage it when Donovan plays Torres through who then sets up Johnson with a lovely cross, and the big man heads it in for 1-1. There just seems to be a sense of direness about this game as it falls flat once more and the fans look just as bored as the keepers. Nothing happens for dead on 30 minutes until the USA make three substitutions. Torres, Adu and Donovan come off for Dempsey, Corrales and Twellman. The game is up for the win for either side, but none seem to dare to take it and the ref calls time on an awful game.

Mexico 1 (Vela 24)

USA 1 (Johnson 50)

Attendance: 100,043

Man of the Match; Carlos Vela

Thanks guys. You're both right about the draw, and I was happy to take it in the end. Mexico are extremely strong.

Wednesday 1st April - vs. Trinidad & Tobago, Spartan Stadium

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 3

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Marvell Wynne

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Carlos Bocanegra

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Jose Manuel Torres

ST; Eddie Johnson

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Steven Cherundolo, Ramiro Corrales, Chad Marshall, Danny Szetela, Taylor Twellman, Clint Dempsey

USA start with good vigor, Donovan hitting a smashing shot just over the bar. Simek and Adu then combine to set up Torres for a shot, but his too also goes over. The USA could really do with a win today to kickstart their faltering World Cup bid. The second half seems to die during the latter period, a Bradley header being the only chance for either side as they head in level. The second half starts much like the first did, and thats all USA. A terrific Bradley freekick is well saved by Warner before Rojas hits the post with a header for Trinidad. USA are passing fairly ok, but Trinidad are just better at closing them out of the final third. Dempsey and Twellman come on for Donovan and Johnson in an attempt to snatch a goal. The best chance of the game comes very late in the day as a free header for Bocanegra presents itself, but the captain wastes it. Just when it looks like Trinidad have held out for a excellent draw, Marvell Wynne pops up with a moment of exceptional ability. He beats a defender before smashing the ball into the top corner of Warner's goal, and gets the USA a vital if not unearned victory.

USA 1 (Wynne 93)

Trinidad & Tobago 0

Attendance: 26,501

Man of the Match; Marvell Wynne

Thanks alot MeLikeFM.

I cannot deny how glad I was to see Marvells effort go in; it had definitely saved us from another poor result. Now we have to look towards the Panama game, and good news followed as we also moved up 1 spot in the World Rankings. The Confederations Cup takes place after the next two qualifiers, and its very exciting. My first real tournament!

I am thoroughly contemplating making changes though. The squad is seriously underperforming, and my job could be on the line. So here is my choice:

Goalkeepers; Tim Howard (Everton), Luis Robles (DC United), Quentin Westberg (Lille)

Left Backs; Marvell Wynne (Toronto), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

Right Backs; Steven Cherundolo (Hannover), Frank Simek (Sheffield Wednesday)

Centre Backs; Leonid Krupnik (Maccabi Haifa), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Oguchi Onyewu (Sevilla), Patrick Ianni (Real Salt Lake)

Left Midfield; DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Heath Pearce (Rostock)

Right Midfield; Freddy Adu (Monaco), Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

Centre Midfield; Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca), Michael Bradley (Gladbach), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Sasha Victorine (Chivas USA)

Strikers; Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Michael Channell (Vitoria), Eddie Johnson (Cardiff), Jozy Altidore (Xerez)

A few new faces as Ianni, Victorine, Krupnik and Westberg become new faces. These players will face Panama, Canada, Egypt, Iraq and Italy.

Saturday 6th June - vs. Panama, Estadio Revolucion

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 4

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Marvell Wynne

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Jose Manuel Torres

ST; Michael Channell

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Leonid Krupnik, Heath Pearce, Jozy Altidore, Sasha Victorine, Clint Dempsey

Last time USA visited Revolucion, they were beaten. Any of the same, and the USA would be fighting harder than they thought in this group. USA start the game with some good wing play, Adu and Cherundolo combining well on the right before crossing for Channell who hits a good shot but sees it deflected out. The corner is wasted and amounts to nothing. Donovan forces the first save out of the keeper, a long range effort being tipped over. Blas Perez continues to be Panama's playmaker and seemingly only player, his long range shot from 20 yards amounting to little than killing space stations. Torres and Donovan have a good combination thing going, and they almost make a goal had it not been for Donovans poor finishing. The pair combine the other way round, giving Torres the perfect chance to score, but he makes a hash of his effort. The half time whistle goes just as Channell goes down with an injury. He doesn't come out for the second half as he is replaced with Altidore. It takes the USA just three minutes of the second half to take the lead, Beasley bursting down the left before crossing to the centre, Donovan just managing to strain to head it in for his 41st international goal. Perez looks like a lost soul for Panama, the striker looking like he has to set up his own chances and score them. A chance for the striker goes just wide of Howards near post. His goal kick is quickly taken, allowing Altidore and Beasley to break. Altidore strikes a powerful shot at the keeper, seeing it turned into Beasley's direction, and he sidefoots it in for 2-0. An immediate chance follows the kickoff, Donovan setting up Bradley, but the midfielder sidefoots it into the keepers path. Adu though turns provider when he breaks on the right and finds Donovan in the centre, who makes no mistake with a sweet volley. He almost has a hat trick moments later, his fine effort is well saved though. A big blow occurs late on when Torres is badly injured, Victorine coming on in his place. A desperate last attempt by Perez sees the game end with a whimper for Panama. No victory for the Revolucionaries this time.

Panama 0

USA 3 (Donovan 48, 70, Beasley 68)

Attendance: 21,983

Thanks Greg, me too mate, the Confeds should be fun.

Wednesday 10th June - vs. Canada, Qwest Field

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 5

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Marvell Wynne

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Clint Dempsey

ST; Michael Channell

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Leonid Krupnik, Heath Pearce, Jozy Altidore, Sasha Victorine, Sacha Kljestan

Fierce rivals Canada come to Qwest Field in first place of the group, one point ahead of USA. USA start the game off in attacking style, Dempsey attempting a long range effort but has to watch as it flies over. The half, however, is pretty dead as neither side creates many chances. Will Johnson goes closest with a fine effort from a tight angle. The finest chance of the half comes when Bradley plays in Adu with a fine pass, the winger pulling in and unleashing a shot, Begovic doing well to save it. Two minutes of injury time pass by quickly, and the half ends quietly. Channell comes off for Altidore at half time. The half starts much like the first, USA quick to attack, but Altidore fails to convert Adu's pass. Adu continues to be the main threat, beating the right siders and crossing for Altidore, who can only watch as his effort hits the post. Adu then sets up Beasley for a chance, the left sider wasting it with a lacklustre shot that lacked direction and power. Dempsey pulls up with an injury, and is replaced with Victorine. A fine move by Altidore sees a one two with Beasley spring terrific results, but the striker fails to get it past the keeper again. Adu, who has had a fantastic game, finally comes off looking awfully tired, Kljestan coming on in his place. The game clock continues to tick down and down, and USA are a dealt a blow when Cherundolo is sent off for a second bookable offence. A reshuffle matters little as the whistle blows after one minute of injury time.

USA 0

Canada 0

Attendance: 24,989

Man of the Match; Will Johnson

Shh Manxie. It was a small blip on an awfully large American radar :D

After the poor draw with Canada, we can now put World Cup qualification on hold and head off to Johannesburg for the Confederations Cup. Egypt first..

Wednesday 17th June - vs. Egypt, Soccer City

Confederations Cup Group A - Match 1

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Jonathan Bornstein

DR; Marvell Wynne

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Michael Channell

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Leonid Krupnik, Heath Pearce, Jozy Altidore, Sasha Victorine, Eddie Johnson, Carlos Bocanegra, Quentin Westberg

Soccer City was the venue for the first USA game of the tournament. The Americans start well too, with some delightful passing that sees Donovan play Channell in, the youngster sadly seeing his shot saved. A terrific lobbed pass by Beasley sets Donovan through on goal, but the tight angle prevents anything from occuring as Ekramy closes the angle to save well. The corner is wasted as Wynne completely misjudges it. The passing continues to be slick and it pays off 17 minutes in when Beasley runs on the left and crosses for Channell who bags his first international goal with a simple sidefoot. The goal spurs Egypt into life and Shawky tries his luck from distance, the shot going just wide of Howards goal. Bradley picks up a yellow for a reckless challenge before Zaki forces Howard into a terrific save. Channell continues his wonderful half when he plays Adu through on goal, but the winger is offside, and despite slotting the ball home, gets no goal. Abdel Latif beats the whole USA defence with a long ball, and Zaki, one on one with Howard, completely misses the whole net. A dodgy pass from Adu somehow threads its way to Beasley who centres it for Ianni, but the defender can't convert his header. Half time is called after. The USA start the second half just as on top, Kljestan and Adu both missing sitters. Adu then bends a corner in for Beasley, but the left sider has to watch his header hit the post. Kljestan picks up an injury, Pearce coming on in his place. Shawky is sent off moments later after hacking down Bornstein, and the left sider has to come off too, Bocanegra replacing him. A freekick is earned on the edge of the area, and Pearce steps up, curling a stunning goal past Ekramy for two nil. Extraordinary wing play sees the USA build up a stunning goal of extreme quality, Pearce and Channell combining to work space for Beasley, who fires a 20 yard stunner in for the third. Final sub of USA's day follows as Johnson comes on for Donovan. Sadly the clean sheet goes out of the window when Mido heads down for Zaki, who leathers a shot low past Howard. No more chances follow, and USA fully deserved to win.

USA 3 (Channell 17, Pearce 71, Beasley 82)

Egypt 1 (Zaki 86)

Attendance: 87,594

Man of the Match; DaMarcus Beasley

The victory over Egypt was excellent for us, and gives us an excellent cushion to go into the Iraq game with. Victory over the Iraqi's would see us progress to the next round, but the game itself would present a political issue anyway. The Iraqi nation is very fond of its football side, and with the War In Iraq ongoing, the players must show their best out there and not let the issues of the political debate affect their judgement. On that pitch and in my team, they are foremost footballers, and then they are Americans.

Friday 19th June - vs. Iraq, ABSA Stadium

Confederations Cup Group A - Match 2

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Jonathan Bornstein

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Michael Channell

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Leonid Krupnik, Heath Pearce, Jozy Altidore, Sasha Victorine, Eddie Johnson, Carlos Bocanegra, Quentin Westberg

A subdued first 10 minutes explode to life when Bornstein crosses for Channell who heads it well but has to watch it come off the woodwork. Thankfully, Kljestan is on hand to tap in the rebound to put the USA in front. Bornstein picks up an injury after going for a 50/50 ball and is replaced with Pearce. A good chance follows when Channell and Donovan combine to play Beasley in, but the winger has his shot blocked well. A terrific cross from Pearce finds Channell in the box, and the forward does well to beat his marker but doesn't have time to pull the trigger as he is crowded out. Pearce continues to be the main USA threat and he causes chaos again when he finds Adu at the backpost, but the little right sider can't convert. Iraq form their first chance half hour in, Abdul-Jabar firing over from 20 yards. Kljestan has a cracking effort turned away just after Jabar's chance, Channell once more being the creative inspiration. USA head in with a well earned lead. They come back out, but immediately have trouble when Pearce is hauled off injured. Bocanegra replaces him. Adu then picks up a serious injury, Victorine coming on in his place. The second half struggles to get going because of the injuries, Victorine forging a rare chance with a long range effort. Donovan also attempts a long range freekick, but it goes nowhere near the goal. Howard is forced into his first save of the day when Mahmoud breaks past Ianni, but it was very routine and simple. Unbelievably, the third left back to come on, Bocanegra, also comes off injured. No more subs available, USA play the final minutes with just 10 men. They manage it, and close the door on a poor game but a second win and qualification assured after Italy thumped Egypt 4-0.

USA 1 (Kljestan 2)

Iraq 0

Attendance: 64,992

Man of the Match; Basim Abbas

Thanks tenthree.

I was delighted to secure victory over Iraq and allow us to play Italy with nothing to lose and a place in the semi's already given. Spain and Brazil also pretty much sealed their places with victories over New Zealand and South Africa.

Sunday 21st June - vs. Italy, ABSA Stadium

Confederations Cup Group A - Match 3

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Carlos Bocanegra

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Landon Donovan

MC; Michael Bradley

MC; Sasha Victorine

ST; Michael Channell

ST; Jozy Altidore

Subs; Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Leonid Krupnik, Freddy Adu, Jose Francisco Torres, Sacha Kljestan, Eddie Johnson, Jonathan Bornstein, Quentin Westberg

Despite fielding a patched up squad, USA start brightly before Italy push on the counter, Cassano forcing Howard into a top save. Italy are explosive though, and grab an early goal when Rossi breaks past Ianni and smashes the ball under Howard to give Italy the lead. The game quietens for awhile before Zaccardo launches a long ball over the top for Cassano, who takes one touch before smashing it in from distance. Perrotta and Bocanegra get into a little scuff after the goal, both being given a yellow for their childish behaviour. A corner from Montolivo then finds Chiellini, who flicks a good header past Howard to make the score 3-0 and completely kill off USA. USA finally fathom a chance of their own, Altidore setting up Victorine for a shot, but it was slightly rushed. Ianni picks up an injury before half time, Krupnik replacing him. Half time is a welcome sight for a USA squad being completely outplayed. USA start the second half in much better fashion, Beasley worming his way through the defence, before hitting a shot, Buffon easily saving though. Bradley then fires a shot towards goal, but Buffon happily watches it go wide. The game gets worse for the USA when a rash challenge by Beasley results in a straight red. Bornstein and Johnson come on for Channell and Altidore. The USA attacks surprisingly continue to come, Donovan forcing a save from Buffon after being played in by Krupnik. A complete fluke comes USA's way when Bocanegra clears a loose ball and Buffon chases it down. Johnson is much faster though, and he beats him and two defenders to it, lifting it over the keeper for a consolation goal. Boriello and Bornstein both have great chances to grab more goals, but they aren't taken. Michael Bradley picks up a injury late on, but can't be replaced as all subs have been used, leaving USA with 9 men on the field. Somehow though, the corner gained from Bradley's effort sees Bornstein bend it in for Johnson, who superbly rises above Chiellini to head it in. 3 minutes of injury time pass by unnoticed, the whistle calling on a terrific game.

USA 2 (Johnson 67, 87)

Italy 3 (Rossi 6, Cassano 18, Chiellini 29)

Attendance: 64,986

Man of the Match; Eddie Johnson

| Pos   | Inf   | Team  |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 1st   | Q     | Italy |       | 3     | 3     | 0     | 0     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 9     | 
 | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 2nd   | Q     | U.S.A.|       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 6     | 4     | +2    | 6     | 
 | 3rd   |       | Egypt |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 8     | -5    | 3     | 
 | 4th   |       | Iraq  |       | 3     | 0     | 0     | 3     | 1     | 5     | -4    | 0     | 
 |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 1st   | Q     | Spain        |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 7     | 
 | -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 2nd   | Q     | Brazil       |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 8     | 2     | +6    | 7     | 
 | 3rd   |       | South Africa |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 6     | -4    | 1     | 
 | 4th   |       | New Zealand  |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 11    | -9    | 1     | 

I was happy with the performance we gave against Italy, but we would have to do our utmost to improve if we want to stand a chance of beating Spain. Injuries are really taking their toll now though. So, here goes.

Thursday 25th June - vs. Spain, ABSA Stadium

Confederations Cup Semi Final

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Carlos Bocanegra

DR; Steven Cherundolo

DC; Leonid Krupnik

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; Jonathan Bornstein

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Eddie Johnson

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Frank Simek, Clint Dempsey, Sasha Victorine, Sacha Kljestan, Jozy Altidore, Michael Channell, Quentin Westberg

A full strength Spain side lined up against a slightly depleted USA team. USA do cause the first danger though, Adu bursting down the right and only just missing with a long range effort. Torres has the first Spanish chance, a long range volley dipping just over the bar. USA have a penalty appeal turned down when Marcano drags Onyewu down in the box, much to the chagrin of the fans. Torres is too much of a handful for Krupnik though, his running causing issues for the centre back. The half isn't overly exciting though, and the the final chance comes from an Arbeloa header before the whistle is blown. The second half starts in the favour of the Spanish, Xavi hitting a special shot off the crossbar, happily for Howard. USA struggle to get back into it, Fabregas' passing causing a lot of damage too much of the time. Senna wastes a good chance quarter of an hour in, his free header going well over the bar. An exceptional run down the left by Capel sees his cross find Senna who smashes a shot goalwards, Howard just managing to turn it round the post. Everything continues to go Spain's way, Xavi hitting the post with a skimming shot. USA are being overrun now. Cherundolo picks up a yellow card late on, ruling him out of the final should the USA reach it. A late injury to Cherundolo sees Simek replace him. A very late chance falls to Torres, but the striker fails to head it goalwards and is interrupted by his namesake American midfielder who clears it. Sadly the USA cannot hold on and a very late goal goes Spain's way, Senna playing Villa in, who takes a touch and slides it past Howard for a late Spanish goal and victory. Hard lines.

USA 0

Spain 1 (Villa 93)

Attendance: 65,000

Man of the Match; Marcos Senna

I was truly sickened to lose the semi final on the final minute, but it is also our faults for not playing to the end. I am still rather happy with our efforts, and we have just one game left.

Saturday 27th June - vs. Italy, Moses Mabhida Stadium

Confederations Cup Third Place Playoff

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Carlos Bocanegra

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Leonid Krupnik

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; Jonathan Bornstein

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Sacha Kljestan

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Michael Channell, Sasha Victorine, Michael Bradley, Quentin Westberg, Eddie Johnson

A very tired and now awfully depleted USA squad start sluggishly, Toni almost making the backline pay with a run. His final effort was weak and went wide. Despite this, Donovan goes on an epic solo run from his own half, and upon reaching the box, forces the keeper into a good fingertip save. Another injury strikes the team as Krupnik is taken off, Victorine coming on in his place. Donovan continues to be the only USA threat, another long range shot going close. Italy's clearest chance of the half was a 40 yard freekick by Montolivo, just hitting the side netting. USA almost make it to half time without conceding, but don't quite succeed. A great cross from Camoranesi finds Perrotta who swipes at the ball and just manages to squeeze it past Howard. The second half starts with another Montolivo effort just hitting the side netting before Torres comes off looking awfully tired, Channell replacing him. The half is rather tired looking before Toni forces a save from Howard, but Cassano taps in the rebound to double the Italian lead. Italy continue to run the midfield, Camoranesi forcing Howard to tip his shot wide for a corner. He bends the corner in and Toni makes contact, his header crashing off the post. The woodwork sees more action not long after, Del Piero hitting the bar with a terrific lobbed effort. Its nice to see the USA don't give up, Bornstein causing some chaos on the left, before being snuffed out for a corner. Some final punting back and forth leaves the game to quieten out before the whistle is blown. A valiant effort against superior opposition.

USA 0

Italy 2 (Perrotta 40, Cassano 61)

Attendance: 69,997

Man of the Match; Simone Perrotta

We gave our all in the Confederations Cup, and I was relatively happy with the fourth place finish. To be lined up against the Italians and Spanish was a pleasure, but we do need to try and improve if we are to ever succeed in major competitions. Now we look on to the Gold Cup, where our group of Honduras, Haiti and Jamaica await. For this cup I am going to make some changes to my squad, bring a few old or new faces in to challenge the regulars. Injuries crippled our squad anyway, so some will need replacing regardless. With regards to the final of the Confed Cup:

Brazil 2 (Kaka 8, 88)

Spain 3 (Torres 52, Navas 72, Villa 80)

I have to choose a new captain now aswell, and Bocanegra loses his captaincy with Donovan being promoted into the role. Michael Bradley becomes vice-captain.

The squad for the Gold Cup;

Goalkeepers; Tim Howard (Everton), Luis Robles (DC United)

Left Backs; Eric Brunner (DC United), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

Centre Backs; Bakary Soumare (Le Mans), Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Oguchi Onyewu (Sevilla), Patrick Ianni (Real Salt Lake)

Right Midfield; Freddy Adu (Benfica), Clint Dempsey (Fulham)

Centre Midfield; Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca), Michael Bradley (Gladbach), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Sasha Victorine (Chivas USA)

Strikers; Taylor Twellman (New England), Michael Channell (Adelaide United), Eddie Johnson (Fulham), Jozy Altidore (Villareal)

We also moved up three places in the rankings to 27th.

Wednesday 15th July - vs. Honduras, Aloha Stadium

Gold Cup Group A - Match 1

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Carlos Bocanegra

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; Heath Pearce

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Eddie Johnson

Subs; Luis Robles, Michael Channell, Sacha Kljestan, Eric Brunner, Taylor Twellman, Steven Cherundolo, Patrick Ianni

The holders kick the game off but gift the ball away with some sloppy passing. Good play from Suazo sets up Costly for a shot, but it spoons away over the bar. A mess up by Palacios allows Adu a run at goal, but his final effort just goes wide of the far post. Honduras look dangerous on the break, Palacios running everything from the centre and playing terrific balls to Costly and Suazo. USA are made to pay when they fail to clear the ball from the back and Castro picks up the ball, leathering a splendid right footed shot past Howard to put Honduras ahead. Thankfully, it doesn't take long for the USA to pull level, a corner from Adu finding the head of Onyewu who powers a strong header into the net to level up. Honduras continue to the main threat though, Alvarez sending a ball over the top to Suazo who sends a header goalwards, Howard having to watch as it hits the bar and goes over. Half time arrives after a booking for Soumare. One change as Channell comes on for Johnson. Honduras start the half in strong fashion, Costly and Alvarez both missing simple headers from corners. The half isn't overly exciting though, a Julio Leon corner being the best chance for either side. A great chance follows for USA when Pearce crosses for Adu. The right winger scuffs his shot but it falls to Torres, who also scuffs his shot and it goes wide. A late subtitute as Twellman comes on for Dempsey. USA are dealt a blow though when Soumare picks up a second yellow and is sent off leaving them with just ten men. No chances follow, and the game is called for full time at 1-1.

Honduras 1 (Castro 30)

USA 1 (Onyewu 35)

Attendance: 49,996

Man of the Match; Mauricio Castro

I was less than happy with the performance against Honduras; I just still couldn't get it right against them. We now must win this next game to keep up the prospect of going up. Haiti and Jamaica also drew 1-1.

Saturday 18th July - vs. Haiti, Aloha Stadium

Gold Cup Group A - Match 2

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Heath Pearce

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Michael Channell

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Eric Brunner, Eddie Johnson, Steven Cherundolo, Sasha Victorine

The game starts quietly before Haiti hit USA on the counter attack. A cross from Thermeus finds Noel, but the strikers head is superbly saved by Howard. The corner is cleared and a counter is launched, but Adu's cross goes straight out of play. The passes begin to string together though, Channell and Adu combining for the striker to have an effort on goal, but its saved well. The first goal takes only a quarter of an hour, Dempsey playing a smooth, low ball to Torres, who spots the keeper off his line and sublimely lobs him from 20 yards. Haiti attempt an immediate comeback, Jerome forcing a save from Howard. The second goal comes a half hour into the half, Beasley crossing for Adu, but the winger is impeded by Norde, who pokes the ball into his own net for 2-0. Nothing else occurs in the half, and the referee calls time after the injury time is played. The second half starts with much more fervour as the USA look to build on their lead and it takes them 2 minutes to do so. A long ball from Howard finds Channell, who flicks it on to Dempsey, who takes a touch and places it simply into the net for 3-0. Haiti get a rare chance 15 mins into the half, Casamayor hitting the post before getting booked for a reckless lunge on the rebound. Channell comes off for Johnson after that. The second half isn't startling though, Maurice going close with a dodgy banana shot that almost had Howard weeping. Sublime passing by Adu lets Johnson in, but his header is cleared to Simek, who smashes a shot goalwards, only to see Fellinga stick a leg out and divert it past his own keeper. The final chance sees Adu cross for Johnson, who heads it well, but its diverted off the line by Ibarra. The final whistle calls on a solid and simple win for the USA.

Haiti 0

USA 4 (Torres 17, Norde OG 33, Dempsey 47, Fellinga OG 77)

Attendance: 49,991

Man of the Match; Jose Francisco Torres

It felt splendid to get a big win; it happened for awhile. Now we faced Jamaica once more, and we needed to win, even though in all honesty, we would qualify without one. John Barnes for the win.

Tuesday 21st July - vs. Jamaica, Citrus Bowl

Gold Cup Group A - Match 3

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Heath Pearce

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Eddie Johnson

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Eric Brunner, Michael Channell, Steven Cherundolo, Patrick Ianni

Despite having a strong squad on paper, Jamaica don't play like they should, Adu dancing around the defence before sending an early warning shot wide. Their first effort on goal is a Williams freekick, but its a wasted chance. A counter from the freekick sees Beasley pick out the surging Torres, who then takes a touch, beats a defender, and smashes a splendid shot past the keeper for 1-0. Pearce gets himself into the referees book when he brings down Gardner. Watford man Williamson fires a good shot goalwards, but Howard is happy to watch is sail wide. Adu is the main threat on the right side, and his running causes Jamaica so many problems. His splendid cross sets Johnson up for a free header, which he misses, but he was offside anyway. Adu finally gets the assist that his efforts deserve when his corner sails over Dempsey and finds Johnson, who heads in for his 16th goal in an American shirt. USA lead at half time and look good at the moment, though Dempsey as a striker is proving to be hit and miss. Jamaica start the second half in style, a Williamson freekick cracking off the crossbar, sending a warning across the USA backline. Jamaica's attempted comeback is thrown into disarray when Torres fouls Burton, and a freekick is awarded. But the striker is furious and gets into a scuffle with Adu, ending with Burton being sent off. Torres is injured sadly, and Channell is forced to replace him, Dempsey moving back into central midfield. A Jamaica corner forces a save from Howard, but from the clearance Channell runs clear of the whole defence. The new American hero easily slides the ball past the keeper for put the game out of Jamaica's reach. Adu continues to search for his own goal, but a snap shot is just sent wide of the post. Channell's introduction for Torres seems to have sparked an attacking flurry, Bradley setting him up to fire a powerful effort at goal, Ricketts doing well to turn it away. Altidore is introduced late on, replacing Johnson. The clock winds down, and a poor lobbed effort by Channell sees the half close out on another strong win.

USA 3 (Torres 11, Johnson 42, Channell 63)

Jamaica 0

Attendance: 63,989

| Pos   | Inf   | Team     |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 1st   | Q     | U.S.A.   |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 8     | 1     | +7    | 7     | 
 | -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 2nd   | Q     | Honduras |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 5     | 1     | +4    | 7     | 
 | 3rd   |       | Jamaica  |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 6     | -5    | 1     | 
 | 4th   |       | Haiti    |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 1     | 7     | -6    | 1     | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team              |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 1st   | Q     | Mexico            |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 7     | 0     | +7    | 7     | 
 | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 2nd   | Q     | Canada            |       | 3     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 2     | 1     | +1    | 5     | 
 | 3rd   | Q     | Trinidad & Tobago |       | 3     | 1     | 0     | 2     | 3     | 5     | -2    | 3     | 
 | 4th   |       | Cuba              |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 0     | 6     | -6    | 1     | 

| Pos   | Inf   | Team        |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 1st   | Q     | Panama      |       | 3     | 2     | 1     | 0     | 9     | 6     | +3    | 7     | 
 | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
 | 2nd   | Q     | Guatemala   |       | 3     | 2     | 0     | 1     | 7     | 4     | +3    | 6     | 
 | 3rd   | Q     | El Salvador |       | 3     | 0     | 2     | 1     | 1     | 2     | -1    | 2     | 
 | 4th   |       | Costa Rica  |       | 3     | 0     | 1     | 2     | 2     | 7     | -5    | 1     | 

Quarter Final Draw:

USA vs. Canada

Honduras vs. Mexico

El Salvador vs. Panama

Guatemala vs. Trinidad & Tobago

Saturday 25th July - vs. Canada, Aloha Stadium

Gold Cup Quarter Final

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Heath Pearce

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Eddie Johnson

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Eric Brunner, Michael Channell, Steven Cherundolo, Patrick Ianni

One of the more familiar matches from the Gold Cup starts with some slick USA passing, the first real chance falling to Soumare after he heads over a Beasley cross. Begovic is then forced into a double save after Dempsey breaks free, and in all honesty he should have done better. Constant chances flow for USA before one is finally taken. A deep cross from Adu finds Onyewu in the centre and his header powers its way through the crowd. A second follows immediately after when Adu takes the ball from the kickoff and threads Dempsey through. He fires a low hard shot past Begovic to put USA two up. Torres gets in to some trouble with the referee before he earns a freekick that he takes, forcing a splendid save from Begovic. Half time arrives after a failed effort by Simek goes wide, USA looking comfortable in this match. The start to the half is hit with a blow when Beasley is forced off injured, Brunner coming on to replace him and Pearce moving into midfield. Onyewu is booked early into the half for a reckless tackle on Hutchinson. The second half is completely devoid of action for long periods, Imhof getting booked for Canada the only thing of note. Eddie Johnson is replaced with Altidore with just 15mins left. The first chance of the half finally arrives as Adu goes on a solo run, his final effort being parried by Begovic and subsequently cleared. The game ends with a good win for USA as they progress to the semi finals. Freddy Adu picks up man of the match for the second game running.

USA 2 (Onyewu 25, Dempsey 28)

Canada 0

Attendance: 49,992

Other Quarter-Final Results:

El Salvador 0 - 1 Panama

Honduras 3 - 2 Mexico (aet)

Guatemala 0 - 2 Trinidad & Tobago

Thanks Greg. I really worry about Honduras who I have in the semi's, as they are a decent outfit. I will try my best not to stifle the hopes of the nation though :D

Wednesday 29th July - vs. Honduras, Aloha Stadium

Gold Cup Semi Final

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Eric Brunner

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Patrick Ianni

AML; Heath Pearce

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Eddie Johnson

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Sasha Victorine, Michael Channell, Steven Cherundolo, Jonathan Bornstein

Honduras have caused the USA some problems in the previous matches, but this time they would need to command the same presence without playmaker Wilson Palacios. USA start brightly, a Johnson freekick only just going inches wide early on. But its the next effort that flies in and sends the USA into a storming lead. A nice run by Dempsey on the right sees him reach the byline, his cross centred along the ground to Johnson, who took on touch to stop the ball and then he powers it past Lopez for 1-0. Honduras attempt to get back into the game straight away, a Carlos Costly effort only just going wide and another being comfortably saved. A good chance falls to Bradley when Adu works some great space on the right, but the final shot from the midfielder is poor. Chances seem to dry up during the later period of the half, a Brunner header being the only of any note and even that was a weak attempt. The half time whistle offers a nice break for both sides to look at the game again. The Hondurans start the half in good fashion, Nunez forcing a top save from Howard. Nunez continues to be the only Honduran threat causing any real nuisance, his shots keeping Howard fairly busy. He then sets up Thomas for a dangerous effort that Howard can't reach, but is happy to watch as it sails over. Two absolute sitters fall to Johnson and Ianni, and neither take any advantage from them. Ianni missed a header from 2 yards before Pearce recrossed for Johnson, who then put his header wide. The chances dry up for both sides, but plenty of yellow cards follow, four for either side in the second half. A late effort from Valladares is saved easily by Howard. Honduras try throwing everyone and everything forward, to no avail. A final effort from Leon sees the half end and USA progress to the final.

USA 1 (Johnson 3)

Honduras 0

Attendance: 49,991

Man of the Match; Heath Pearce

Other Semi-Final Result:

Trinidad & Tobago 2 - 1 Panama

Thank you very much, Wimb. Perhaps if a top American side comes along, its possible, but for now the allegiance is with USA until sacking.

Sunday 2nd August - vs. Trinidad & Tobago, Aloha Stadium

Gold Cup Final

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Eric Brunner

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; Heath Pearce

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Eddie Johnson

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Sasha Victorine, Michael Channell, Patrick Ianni, Jonathan Bornstein

News came in that Honduras had easily sealed third place with a crushing 4-0 victory over Panama. Utter elating comes from the beginning for the USA as a mistake pass from the kickoff sees Johnson steal the ball and race towards goal, snapping a shot home from outside the area to put USA ahead after just 18 seconds. 5 minutes later and Dempsey has a chance for two but sends his header wide. The passing from the USA is very nice, leading to more chances for Johnson, who puts one just wide of the post. Torres and Pearce combine nicely to allow the left winger a chance on goal, but aged veteran Clayton Ince did well to turn it away. Trinidad forge their first chance half hour in, Stern John having a shot saved from a tight angle before Kenwyne Jones screwed up his follow in effort. A final save from Howard from a John freekick sees the half end with USA nicely in front. A heart in mouth moment for all USA fans occurs early in the second half as Howard comes out for a loose ball but is beaten to it by Jones, but the keeper does well to tackle the forward before he slot it into the empty goal. Howards clearance sparks a counter for Adu, but his left footed shot scrapes the bar on its way over. The lead is doubled finally after 56 minutes, Simek tackling Edwards to snatch the ball and play a nifty pass to Dempsey, who slots it home with ease for 2-0. The lead is added to just 4 minutes later, an Adu cross being headed across his own goal by Birchall, allowing Soumare at the backpost to hit a half volley across Ince and into the back of the net. Channell and Ianni make late appearances for Onyewu and Johnson. Channell has the ball in the net after being on for a minute, a Bradley shot coming his way and his foot diverting the effort past Ince, but its ruled out for offside. A rare Trinidad chance falls to John, a free header in the 6 yard box, but he heads over to the dismay of the Trinidad fans. Torres sets up the star Adu for his own goal, a clever pass finding the winger unmarked, and hitting a first time shot has to watch as it hits the far post and then bounces across to the near post before bobbling to the back of the net. Trinidad's Bartholomew has a fine chance for a consolation but he doesn't make his header count. A final wasted freekick from Edwards is the last chance of the game, and the whistle blows on a terrific final win for USA.

USA 4 (Johnson 1, Dempsey 58, Soumare 62, Adu 76)

Trinidad & Tobago 0

Attendance: 49,997

Thanks flipstyle. I'll give it my best shot.

The squad for the game against Honduras;

Goalkeepers; Tim Howard (Everton), Luis Robles (DC United), Matt Reis (New England)

Left Backs; Eric Brunner (DC United), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA)

Centre Backs; Bakary Soumare (Le Mans), Seb Hines (Middlesbrough), Oguchi Onyewu (Sevilla), Patrick Ianni (Real Salt Lake), Lider Marmol (Castilla)

Strikers; Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Michael Channell (Adelaide United), Eddie Johnson (Fulham), Jozy Altidore (River)

We also moved up eight places in the rankings to 19th.

Wednesday 12th August - vs. Honduras, Norte e Sur

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 6

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Eric Brunner

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Patrick Ianni

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Lider Marmol, Michael Channell, Seb Hines, Heath Pearce

It doesn't take long for the USA to continue to show the dominance that they did in the Gold Cup. A corner from Beasley finding Donovan with ease in the centre, and the header easily flicked into the goal for an early lead. Honduras try to force themselves straight back in, Figueroa forcing a save from Howard with a volley from the left. An injury early in the half to Simek sees him forced to come off, Marmol replacing him for his debut. The half turns quiet for the best part of 20minutes, a Palacios shot being the only shot during that period. USA almost grab a second before half time, Bradley seeing his shot blocked on the line before Beasley skies the follow up. A second chance falls to Bradley before the whistle, a easy header the back post going into the side netting before the players head off. The second half starts with a fine chance for USA's Donovan, Howard setting him up direct from the goalkick, Donovan's first time volley being saved well. The second half turns into a sluggy affair, tackles flying in from both sides as they seek that decisive goal. Channell comes on for Dempsey as USA search for another goal. Honduras have played well, but lose their nerve when Carlos Costly is sent off for elbowing Marmol. Honduras now begin to operate defensively, but it doesn't pay off. Donovan earns a freekick on the edge, and he rolls it to Channell, who smashes an excellent effort into the goal for two nil. USA sit nicely back and allow the game timer to roll down to cap another vital World Cup win.

Honduras 0

USA 2 (Donovan 1, Channell 73)

Attendance: 49,968

congrats on the gold cup win!!! although I have to pick on you for avoiding Mexico in the final ;P

And good job winning in Honduras, that is no easy task. And btw, I won't insist on victory in the world cup, but you have to at least match Bruce Arena's quarterfinal run in '02 :p

Thanks alot Greg. Was happy with the cup win, and I am pleased everytime I beat Honduras, they are a dangerous side.

Squad for games against Mexico and Trinidad.

Goalkeepers; Tim Howard (Everton), Luis Robles (DC United), Matt Reis (New England)

Left Backs; Eric Brunner (DC United), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Marvell Wynne (Toronto)

Centre Backs; Bakary Soumare (Le Mans), Seb Hines (Middlesbrough), Oguchi Onyewu (Sevilla), Patrick Ianni (Real Salt Lake), Lider Marmol (Castilla)

Centre Midfield; Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca), Michael Bradley (Gladbach), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Gaven (Colombus)

Strikers; Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Michael Channell (Adelaide United), Eddie Johnson (Fulham), Jozy Altidore (River)

Saturday 5th September - vs. Mexico, Tulsa Soccer Park

North American World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Match 7

USA Squad;

GK; Tim Howard

DL; Marvell Wynne

DR; Frank Simek

DC; Bakary Soumare

DC; Oguchi Onyewu

AML; DaMarcus Beasley

AMR; Freddy Adu

MC; Michael Bradley

ST; Clint Dempsey

ST; Landon Donovan

Subs; Luis Robles, Jozy Altidore, Sacha Kljestan, Lider Marmol, Michael Channell, Seb Hines, Heath Pearce

A full strength Mexico side lined up for this game, and it was always going to be a challenge. The game starts untypically dirty, Soumare and Salcido booked early on for poor challenges. Maza Rodriguez is then booked for a foul on Adu, which earns him a freekick. Its on target but well saved by veteran Sanchez. Mexico's first chance follows moments later, a lazy effort by Dos Santos after a sensational solo run. Mexico almost poo their pants 20 minutes in, Sanchez coming out to clear a ball and taking out Donovan in the process. He only picks up a yellow though. Adu's freekick finds Donovan on the edge of the area, but the striker has to watch as his shot clangs off the post. The first goal eventually comes, and thankfully its the home crowd cheering. A corner is taken by Adu and it finds Dempsey on the near post, a lovely flicked header undoing Sanchez for the opener. Another chance falls for Donovan before the half is out, but his low solid effort hits the side netting. Half time arrives as USA look good for their money. The second half starts all in USA's favour, Beasley having a shot cleared off the line before Donovan hits wide from a good angle. Mexico begin to get back into the game, Guardado forcing a fine save from Howard with a 30 yard effort that rivals the best of goals. Vela then has a shot at goal, but its tame and Howard almost laughs it off with a simple pick up. Altidore makes a late appearance for Donovan who has looked rather quiet. Onyewu picks up a yellow for a bad tackle on Vela, the Arsenal man needing some treatment on the sidelines. Beasley has a late chance to secure the points, but he doesn't take it, the header scraping the top of the net. One last, and probably Mexico's best, chance falls to Guardado in the last second, the winger firing high to the dismay of his fellow players and staff members. What a fin, fine win.

USA 1 (Dempsey 29)

Mexico 0

Attendance: 15,987

| Pos   | Inf   | Team              |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
 | 1st   |       | U.S.A.            |       | 7     | 4     | 3     | 0     | 9     | 2     | +7    | 15    | 
 | 2nd   |       | Mexico            |       | 7     | 4     | 1     | 2     | 19    | 6     | +13   | 13    | 
 | 3rd   |       | Canada            |       | 7     | 4     | 1     | 2     | 9     | 11    | -2    | 13    | 
 | 4th   |       | Honduras          |       | 7     | 3     | 1     | 3     | 8     | 9     | -1    | 10    | 
 | 5th   |       | Panama            |       | 7     | 3     | 0     | 4     | 9     | 15    | -6    | 9     | 
 | 6th   |       | Trinidad & Tobago |       | 7     | 0     | 0     | 7     | 3     | 14    | -11   | 0     | 
 |       |       |                   |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       | 

Archived