Buy me a drink and i'll tell you a story

Elrithral

Mind if I sit down? God that’s a beautiful day, makes you appreciate life, even at my tender old age. You’re not from round here are you? I thought not, so what brings you to Rio? Business, the weather, a woman? Ah I see, well you’ve picked the right city for it.

You don’t mind me joining you, do you? Not many people seem interested in what an old man has to say these days; they are too wrapped up in their own little world, as if nobody else exists. Ha, you’re right! Here am I complaining about their self importance, with my own self importance in mind.

What are you having? I’ll get this one. Two more please Rodrigo, make mine a large. This is a nice little place; I often spend my days in here, not to drink, to watch. I like to watch, I spent far too much of my youth chasing and running after impossible dreams, it’s nice to have the chance to sit back, relax and watch.

So, where are you from? I’m sure you’re sick of all the questions, sorry, just passing the time. Do you like football? Good man, do you follow a team or just appreciate the beautiful game? Oooh, interesting choice, what made you support them? Me? I follow the only club worth following in Rio. Eugh, not them! I wouldn’t support them if they were the last team on earth, no, I’m talking about Vasco da Gama. Ha, no I didn’t think you would have heard of them, they aren’t what they used to be.

Do you work? I don’t blame you; make the most of your freedom and innocence while you can. Do I look like I’m fit to work? Ha, I’m joking, I’m joking. I’ve never had a proper job, not in the strictest sense of the word, but I did work. I worked bloody hard, not that it was without benefit. Football, yup, I worked in football, doesn’t get much sweeter than that. A player? Once upon a time, but I wasn’t very good. No, I made my name as a manager. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you and we’d be here all night, once I get started it’s hard to stop me.

Hmmm, ok, if you insist. Buy me a drink and I’ll tell you my story.

Vasco (8) Bangu (0)

Rio State Open

The result didn’t flatter us, we were far superior in every area of the pitch and my first game in charge will not only remain a fond memory, but go down in history as Vasco’s highest scoring game.

The fans were singing our praises as early as the fourth minute when Leo Lima gave us the lead, scoring a freak goal from 30 yards out. It was plain to see that he intended to cross the ball, but it evaded everyone and found the top corner, his second came from the penalty spot. Alan Kardec’s goal came from a Lima shot that was going well wide. Marked by Ajala, he managed to stick a leg out and divert it goal wards past Espindula. Lima got a proper assist to his name when his left wing cross was converted by Fernando with a close range header. New signing Vinicius also welcomed a Lima assist as he cushioned a near post header down and into the back of the net. So far Lima had two goals and three assists, but he wasn’t finished and Fernando netted a carbon copy of his first goal. Edu lofted a perfect cross field ball into the patch of Alex Teixeira who controlled it perfectly and slid it across the six yard box for Edgar to slide in and net number seven. The final goal came from Vinicius, another header from a Lima corner.

Two goals and five assists gave Leo Lima a deserved man of the match award. If we weren’t under such serious financial constraints I would have signed him up there and then, but his contract finishes in December and there is absolutely no money to bargain with.

Duque de Caxias FC (0) Vasco (3)

Rio State Open

The game was played in front of a paltry 1,500 people, you could hear a pin drop and it made me wonder what ever possessed them to build a 10,000 seater in 2007. That said, Duque were never going to be pushovers and despite their lackluster support they fought for everything.

That man Lima and his partner in crime Fernando were up to their old tricks when they gave us the lead. A near post corner floated in and an easy finish from Fernando. Amaral’s right wing free kick looked like it had been wasted when he passed it to Teixeira on the edge of the box. Teixeira laid it off to Edu on his left and Edu went wandering down the left hand side, he showed great strength to get past Geovani and cross it in for Kardec to steal past his marker and score at the near post. Ramon’s run down the right brought the third goal. Rather than cross it he pulled it back and played it to Lima who was just inside the area. With an excellent first touch Lima bought himself enough room to curl the ball through the packed area and beyond the keeper.

Lima picked up the man of the match award, yet again, with another assist and goal. Even at this early stage of the season he was beginning to look like our talisman and keeping the prodigiously talented Carlos Alberto out of the side.

Vasco (1) Botafogo (1)

Rio State Open

In stark contrast to the de Caxias game, 32,000 fans packed the stands to watch us do battle with one of our main rivals in the Rio State Championship. Like us, Botafogo had started the season well, winning both their matches, albeit by less impressive score lines.

Guess who combined to give us the lead in the fifth minute. If you aren’t thick and have read above you’ll know that it was Lima and Fernando. Yet another corner, yet another near post header and yet another goal. That’s as good as it got though as Botafogo sliced through our defence and midfield with ease, time and time again. Fortunately their strikers conspired to miss a series of guilt edged chances and we limited their onslaught to one goal, in the 37th minute. Diego got past Vinicius and one on one with Prass it looked like the equaliser, a quick shock of hope as Prass diverted his shot, but Simoes was on hand to pass it into the back of the net with Prass scrambling to get up.

Fernando picked up the man of the match award, more for his goal than anything else. Both sides made a number of errors and a draw was probably the fairest result, no matter how welcome a win would have been.

Cabofriense (2) Vasco (1)

Rio State Open

This game was all about Fabinho, the striker on loan from Cruzeiro. He showed the lethal touch that seemed to have deserted our forwards. He got two chances, Cabofriense got two chances, and he netted them both, while we managed to get only one of ten shots on target and into the back of the net.

We started well, but found it difficult to break down their defence, which could be compared to an 11 man brick wall. An innocuous free kick on the left wing should have been dealt with, but Edu lost his man and that man was Fabinho who got past him to score the easiest of tap ins at the back post. When Kardec equalised from the edge of the area, after a pinpoint Teixeira pass through a mass of players, I thought it was the beginning of the end for Cabofriense, but no. Three defenders managed to either fall over, lose position or fall asleep for a few seconds to let Fabinho walk past them and send a rocket into the bottom corner.

The defeat was hard to take, but the player’s performance and lack of commitment made me furious. All three goals came before half time so we had plenty of time to turn things round and despite a heartfelt and vociferous half time team talk they just didn’t do it and they let Cabofriense walk away with a big scalp and Fabinho with the man of the match award.

*Thanks for the encouragement guys.*

What about me? Oh, you want the life story; I thought you were only interested in the football. Well, there’s not much to tell really. Ha, everyone has history, I like that. So, what do you want to know? You must be bored! If I start from the beginning we really will be here all night, I’m an old man; there would be many years to cover.

Ok, ok. I was born in Verona in 1951. Hahaha, should I be flattered? Anyway, back then there was no Mori-Torbole to stop the floods, they were part of everyday life. The floods were too much for my mother, she didn’t want to raise a child in such a filthy city and my father had been told of many opportunities in Brazil for men with trades. We made the trip, by boat, to Rio in 1954.

I don’t remember much about my early days in the city, but I do remember the differences between rich and poor, black and white. In Verona we had lived a humble working class life, but in comparison to the working class in Rio we were well off. That coupled with the colour of our skin meant that my father climbed the corporate ladder quickly and we could live a life of relative luxury. I didn’t want for anything, educated privately, my mother always expected me to study law.

Sport is the be all and end all in Rio, everywhere you look you see people playing something or supporting someone. Volleyball, baseball, moto gp, formula one, but none of them get anywhere near the same sort of support as football. My father took me to games as often as he could, and I played as often as I could. It wasn’t hard to find a game to join, every backstreet and every park in the city had a group of children chasing a ball back and forth, honing their skills. White often they looked down on me as I tried to join in, they couldn’t believe that a rich white boy thought he could match them and more often than not I didn’t match them.

Eventually I found my position, centre back, although I was forced into that position as no-one else wanted to play there. I was tall for my age and good in the air, unlike the other boys I wasn’t interested in beating 11 men and scoring the perfect goal, I was just happy to play. On my 13th birthday I made my first appearance for Vasco youth, looking back, I don’t think they actually rated me, they just needed a defender and no-one else wanted the job. My mother was devastated, she had quickly forgotten her humble beginnings and didn’t want her son running around fields with the poor boys, she didn’t want the future lawyer wasting his life on a sport the working class adored. No matter how many tears were shed or how many arguments were had, my mind was made up, I wanted to be a footballer and I wanted to play for Vasco.

Friburguense (0) Vasco (2)

Rio State Open

For a club that only came into existence 29 years ago Friburguense have some passionate support. The stadium looks a little scruffy, but I suppose that’s part of the charm of the club and the reason they can keep ticket prices low and attract 8,000 for every game.

Four passes, between defenders, and a thirty yard Teixeira run, lead to the opening goal for Kardec. He looks like a proper poacher, never really turning people inside out, but always there, in the right place at the right time. Teixeira, another I’ve been impressed with, tore their left wing apart. Close control and mazy dribbling let him get to the by-line and cross it in. No such skill for the second goal, although many consider penalty taking a skill in itself, Lima’s blast down the centre of the goal was never going to be stopped.

Edu got man of the match, which at the time I queried, but on reflection he had an excellent game, rarely giving the ball away and controlling the left wing.

Vasco (4) Tigres do Brasil (0)

Rio State Open

It feels strange playing against teams that were only formed a few years ago. Vasco have a rich history, four titles to our name and two Copa Libertadores in our 111 year history and here we are facing teams like Tigres, who were formed only five years ago.

However, 4-0 wins are 4-0 wins and as a manager you’ll never turn them down in favor of sentiment, especially considering our financial predicament. The first goal came from our star performer, Lima, getting on the end of a Teixeira cross and firing it past Lee at the far post. Teixeira set Edu up for the second goal, he’s really starting to show some excellent form, but what’s his best position? At the moment he’s playing right wing, but he fancies himself as a striker, I fancy him as a striker, but we’re short on the right. Edu’s control and finish was excellent. Fernando’s header, from Lima’s corner, was saved, but he was first to get to the rebound and blast it into the back of the net from close range. The game was wrapped up with yet another penalty for Lima.

Another man of the match performance from Lima. In our opening six games of the season he has six goals and seven assists to his name.

Mesquita (0) Vasco (7)

Rio State Open

The final game of the opening round of the Rio State Open and an emphatic win to take us into the Semi Finals against hated rivals Flamengo.

Lima’s ball to the edge of the area was picked up by Kardec, who turned his marker and fired it into the bottom corner. The second goal was as bizarre as our first goal of the season, Lima’s corner evading everyone and landing in the net, it’s the first time I’ve ever seen a goal like that and everyone seemed a little too surprised and embarrassed to celebrate properly. However, goal of the game went to Teixeira who acrobatically converted Ramon’s cross for goal number three. Edgar broke his goalless streak just after half time, slipping in at the back post and getting on the end of a Teixeira cross. Yet another Lima penalty and a Kardec finish after some shocking defending made it six and the magnificent seven came when Lima headed home to complete his hat trick and claim yet another man of the match award.

Caxias (0) Vasco (3)

Brazilian Cup First Round Leg One

Caxias is a Rio team but they don't play in the Rio State and not to be confused with Duque de Caxias. This was the first leg of a two legged affair in a Brazilian Cup competition that we were supposed to do well in; the board expected a quarter final place at the very least.

Things started well and in the sixth minute Fernando was doing what he had done many times before, this season, getting on the end of a Lima corner and settling the nerves. Five minutes later Lima was adding to his already impressive goal tally and doing it in some style. As Ramon broke into the box he slipped and the Caxias defence got it clear, only as far as Mateus on the half way line who headed it back towards the box. Picking it up 25 yards out Lima turned and found himself with time and space to curl a beautiful, typically Brazilian, shot into the top right corner. His second goal and our third, was no less impressive. Ramon with the short throw to Edgar, by the corner flag of our opponents half, Edgar slipped it to him and he curled it from the corner of the penalty box, beyond the keeper.

Lima picked up yet another man of the match award and given his sensational start to life under me I was left wondering why it looked like he had failed in Europe. He had spells with Porto, CSKA Sofia and Maritimo after leaving Vasco in 2003, but by all accounts he never made a first team place his own. Then again, he wouldn’t be the first Brazilian to fail in Europe, but I struggled to think of a more naturally gifted player I had ever worked with and the notion of him failing on a football pitch astounded me.

Flamengo (1) Vasco (0)

Rio State Open Semi Final

The problem with the Rio State Open or Close is that every game is a derby, a local rivalry that the fans need you to win. The pressure is always there and you can’t relax, the players can’t relax because this is about bragging rights, week in week out. Of course, even within the rivalry packed league schedule you always have certain teams the fans are particularly eager to get one over and Flamengo are, without doubt, top of the bunch for the Vasco faithful.

We had finished fourth in the Rio State Open, behind Flamengo, Fluminese and Botafogo, which meant we had qualified for the Open Semi Final and were in with a chance of silverware for our showing so far. However, people seemed to forget that whilst Vasco was a household name, we were the only second division outfit left in the competition and faced an uphill task against Flamengo. The task proved too much and in front of 84,000 fans at the Maracana we came unstuck against a superior Flamengo side.

There was no shame in our defeat, 1-0 in an inter division match is ok in my eyes, but it was a defensive mistake that cost us and left our fans red faced. After some good work in midfield Flamengo had found their way into our area, luckily Fernando and Titi were on hand to deal with it, but a rash Titi clearance cannoned off Fernando and into the path of unmarked Moura who happily side footed our bitter rivals into the final.

We would have our chance for revenge soon though, as the Rio State Close started in three weeks time and first up were Flamengo at home.

Vasco (4) Caxias (0)

Brazilian Cup First Round Leg Two

The first leg against Caxias had been relatively one sided and it was unlikely that they would be able to overturn a 3-0 deficit on our home turf. Despite this and the hectic fixture schedule, I fielded a full strength side in the hope that a healthy victory would boost confidence after the Flamengo match and leave the players on a high going into our next match, against Flamengo.

I’m surprised no-one had cottoned on to our corner routine, but we persisted with it as long as it worked and so far this season it had worked wonders. Lima and Fernando combined, in d j vu simplicity, to give us the lead. Titi got our second and his first of the season, when he bundled the ball over the line after an embarrassing mix up in the Caxias box that left their keeper and two defenders sprawled on the ground and no-one covering goal. Ramon, something of an unsung hero so far, knocked in number three after some sterling work from Amaral down the right flank. After a free kick that hit the wall Amaral picked up the rebound and powered his way into the box and to the by-line, chipping a delicate cross to the far post. Having lost Edgar, moved Teixeira up front and Lima to the right, with Carlos Alberto filling the hole in midfield, Lima dropped down to second in the penalty stakes with Alberto assuming responsibility and finding the top corner in the 82nd minute.

Ramon picked up man of the match and a 7-0 aggregate win meant we would be facing Figueirense in the second round and heading home to face Flamengo on the back of a comfortable win and confident performance.

Rodrigo! Another couple of drinks for my friend and I, is the kitchen closed? I’m famished, do you want anything? You don’t mind if I eat while I talk do you?

Where was I? Ah yes, surprised you’re not bored by now. Having signed for Vasco I made it my mission to break into the first team, I trained as often as possible, eager to impress my coaches, but never really succeeding. Teammates came and went, some into the first team, others back to their ordinary lives; I was a constant in the youth squad. As I got older and bigger it became clear that my Vasco dream would never become reality, I was the perfect test for young strikers, but not good enough to make it in the first team. That day was one of the worst of my life, I hadn’t been released, but I had realised that being released was inevitable and that I had to look elsewhere for the good of my career.

I attended trial after trial with club after club, still plying my trade in the Vasco youth team, but keeping my options open. Eventually I caught someone’s eye and they asked me to come back for a second trial. Portuguesa were a smaller club, but they actually wanted me. After my second trial I was offered a place in the reserve squad for the weekend match against Campo Grande, I told Vasco that I had been offered football elsewhere; they didn’t put up a fight.

Portuguesa were a second division outfit and before long I had broken into the first team. The wages weren’t great, barely enough to get by, but I was never one for living the high life or particularly interested in the fancier aspects of Rio life. I still lived at home, with my parents and slowly but surely saved enough money to get a little place of my own, which I shared with one of my Portuguesa teammates.

My career? If I’m honest there isn’t much to tell, I fought hard for Portuguesa, but I knew myself that I wasn’t good enough to go any further and whilst I lusted for a chance in the First Division, a chance of silverware, I knew that any real success was unlikely. For me, the fact that I was making a living doing something I loved, was success in itself.

Vasco (2) Flamengo (2)

Rio State Close

Our biggest home crowd of the season, 75,000, welcomed Flamengo with a chorus of boos and whistles. This was a far cry from a semi final played on neutral territory or the relentless rival clashes in Rio Sate Open, the crowd wanted to send the Flamengo fans home feeling as disappointed as we had been three weeks earlier.

The atmosphere had given the players the belief they needed and no-one more so than our talisman, Lima. In the fourth minute Mateus made a run down the right flank, but confronted by Kleberson he turned back and played it to the unmarked Lima on the edge of the box. With consummate ease and skill Lima smashed a right footed strike, not at goal, but across goal, outwitting the goalkeeper and finding the left corner from the right side of the area. Six minutes later and it was Toro’s turn to turn on the skill and score with a sublime free kick from 30 yards out. Prass had no chance and Flamengo were on level terms.

We took the lead again through Teixeira, in his favored position up front to cover injuries and suspensions. Amaral hit a hopeful ball over the top and the Flamengo defence got their offside call all wrong as Teixeira was free to control it and take it forward. Bruno was quick of the mark and came to meet him on the edge of the area, but Teixeira showed a cool head to slide it round the keeper and into the net. We were leading 2-1 at half time. Unfortunately, yet another fantastic strike, from Jonatas gave Flamengo an undeserved point. Amaral’s headed clearance was picked up 25 yards out and we were too slow to close him down, giving him time to pick his spot for his thunderbolt strike.

We had deserved a win and more to the point, desperately needed the three points to stay in with a shout, but I couldn’t fault the players who had worn their heart on their sleeves and matched a First Division outfit, who had better players and stronger resources. We could hold our heads high and I was unbelievably proud and optimistic for the Second Division title surge.

Vasco (2) Figueirense (1)

Brazilian Cup Second Round Leg One

I’m not one for squad rotation, never have been and never will be. The idea of dropping players who are doing what they have been asked to do baffles me and I like consistency, I loath change, unless absolutely necessary. It was absolutely necessary in the 45th minute of this match when a hard tackle on Mateus resulted in a broken leg and six months on the sidelines.

The players found it difficult to get going after that and it seemed to weigh heavy on their minds as they struggled to victory over inferior opposition. We had to rely on our old fail safe of Lima crosses and Fernando headers to get our two goals, one from a free kick and one from a corner. Figueirense’s goal was fortuitous, Edu diverting it into his own net after a winding Wellington run.

A win is a win, nonetheless, but Mateus was a big loss, no matter how good his replacement, Paulo Sergio, thinks he is.

Vasco (2) Macae (0)

Rio State Close

After the somewhat unimpressive win against Figeirense in the cup we needed to get back on the wagon with a healthy win against Macae. It was a win, but it wasn't healthy and left me worrried about our recent form.

Lima got another penalty under his belt and in the back of the net just before half time, to give us the lead. The second goal came from a Lima corner, but not a Fernando header, this time it was Edgar. Lima floated it towards the penalty spot and Edgar battled his way past two markers to get to the ball first and power a header past the keeper. The goals papered over the cracks and fourteen chances spurned, although the defence had limited Macae to only one shot.

Man of the match went to none other than Lima, whether he could be pleased with winning an award in a match that didn't produce any star performances or not, is another question.

Resende (0) Vasco (4)

Rio State Close

I hoped that this result was the turning of a corner after our recent loss of form, but couldn't afford to get my hopes up. We were still in fourth place behind Flamengo, Botafogo and Fluminese, it seemed unlikely that any of them would give away points agains the other teams in the league so for the first time I started to realise that our fate in Rio State Close was not in our own hands and we had been performing as expected, rather than overperforming.

Amaral got his first goal of the season after some good work on the wing from Teixeira and a Lima knock down. He hit the ball first time, left footed, high into the top corner. Paulo Sergio's throw in from by the corner flag was nodded on by Kardec, across goal and in from another Edgar header, for goal number two. Lima had been forced out onto the left wing and Nilton to right back, they combined for goal three. Nilton's run down the right and journey into the box produced a wayward cross that evaded everyone and found Lima on the left. Turning inside, Lima dribbled the ball before unleashing a low, curling shot beyond Igor and into the bottom corner. Carlos Alberto's goal came from an excellent team move. Prass picked up the ball in the area and played it forward to Amaral just inside half way, his first time pass found Nilton who was allowed to travel forty yards unchallenged before playing an easy ball to the edge of the area for Alberto. All he had to do was take a touch past the defender and fire it past the keeper, but no, that would be too easy. Instead he leathered a right footed shot from 25 yards right into the top corner.

Amaral, Carlos Alberto and Lima had all played well, but it was Lima who claimed the man of the match award. Particularly impressive playing out of position and still managing to control the game.

Boavista (1) Vasco (3)

Rio State Close

With five games to go we lay five points behind first, but in with a shout of a semi final place. Duque de Caxias were giving us a run for our money, but they still had to face Fluminese and Flamengo.

Teixeira had been drafted in up front, with Edgar on the sidelines, and he made his mark in the 13th minute. Amaral's free kick on the half way line was straight to Teixeira who with skill and grace flicked it round his man and slammed it into the bottom corner. Lima's corner, delivered into the box, was controlled on the chest and bundled over the line by Kardec. Amaral had a free kick on the edge of the box, he got it up and over the wall, down and on target, but Silvio Luiz was agile enough to turn it away, luckily for us Carlos Alberto was hand to punt it past the keeper. Boavista's goal came just after half time, from 30 yards out and a fantastic Fernando Silva free kick.

Teixeir nabbed the man of the match this time and it was fully deserved. Alex was a striker and I wished he could play in his favourite position, but needs must and we had no money, so right wing was the best he could hope for and the bet I could offer.

Figueirense (2)(5) Vasco (1)(3)

Brazilian Cup Second Round Leg Two

I had enjoyed an almost faultless beginning to tmy management career, but this result put an end to that. Figueirense were one of the teams we would be meeting in the Second Division, but in no way could they be considered our equals or betters. This was an embarrassing result and the board would let me know just how embarrassing they thought it was.

Our slender advantage was gone within 4 minutes, Schwenk finishing after Prass fumbled a Schmoller header. Titi restored our advantage with a headed goal after an Amaral free kick, but within 30 seconds Figueirense had the lead and it was all square again. Schwenk tried a shot from the edge of the box, but Paulo Sergio managed to get a foot in the way and divert it, unfortunately diverting it right into the path of the onrushing Almir who took his chance with ease. That's how it ended, 3-3 and penalties ensued. Galhardo missed his effort and Figueirense managed to put all of theirs away, dumping us out of the cup, two rounds early.

We had been outplayed, never looking comfortable and meeting out first real stumbling block of the season. It would be a long time before the fans let the players forget about this, a long time before I let the players forget about this.

Vasco (3) Volta Redonda (0)

Rio State Close

Back to the grindstone and time to put our cup heartache behind us. In football it's all too easy to dwell on poor results, the same can't be said of good results, just poor results. Get a win and you could suffer from over-confidence, lose a match and you could suffer from lack of confidence.

Teixeira, the latest man to fill the troublesome left wing spot, go the opener pouncing on a rebound from an Amaral shot and giving Jailson no chance. The second goal went to Fernando, though Carlos Alberto wasn't happy about it. Alberto's cross into the box evaded the keeper and looked to be going over the line, Fernando made sure of it with a header, but Alberto looked less than happy that his spectacular goal had been spoiled and stolen. Teixeira took a left wing throw in to Amaral who turned and played it across the box, Kardec threw himself at the ball to divert it past the keeper and give us what looked like a decent victory.

With Lima injured Teixeira had picked up the reigns as the playmaker of the side and everything good about our performance flowed through him. He was well worth his man of the match award.

*Thanks Ash, glad you're enjoying :)*

Tell me this; do you have a special someone? Not even back home? That’s a shame, perhaps that’s why you’re here, getting away from the feelings you have for a special someone. Ah, I thought as much. Do you mind me asking what she’s like? No, no. No offence taken. We’ve all loved and lost and I know as well as anyone how hard it is to move on and forget when all you want is to live in those memories.

My first love…. Of course you can have more than one love, you’ll realise that when you’re my age. My first love was a girl called Yaritza, we were 15 and lived for each other. I know, it’s funny, but that’s how you feel when you’re young, when you’re still a child, but think you’re an adult. You think the world revolves around them, you can’t imagine life without them and you think you’ll never have to worry about that because it’s true love, a real life fairy tale.

Yaritza was the daughter of one of my father’s friends from work. As our parents talked business and politics we were forced into each others company and things moved on from there. She told me I was the best footballer in the world, I told her she was the most beautiful girl in the world, neither was true. We were lost in the moment, the fact that someone was interested in you made them special and exciting, mutual ego boosting masked as a relationship. Haha, I know, I’m such a cynic, but you know it’s true.

Yes, I look back through my life and I remember that first love fondly, I think we all do, no matter how awful it seemed at the time when it ended. One day you’ll wish they were all as simple as the first.

Madureira (1) Vasco (3)

Rio State Close

Vinicius returns to the first team with a bang, getting on the end of a Carlos Alberto's corner into the six yard box and smashing it past Renan. His second is more the same, although this finish isn't a header, but a well timed run off his marker to the far post and with plenty of time he side foots it between Renan and Rodrigo on the post. Teixeira’s throw on the left is picked up by Edu, who takes on three defenders getting to the byline and plays it back to Amaral on the edge of the area. Amaral didn’t take a touch, but stokes it side footed with accuracy into the top left corner of the net. Pereira's free kick on the right is played to the near post where Joao Paulo gets in front of Prass and slips it past the floundering keeper.

Vinicius’ two goals see him take the man of the match award. He was a free signing before the start of the season and it was great to see him back in the team after a serious injury limited his chances.

Vasco (4) Americano (0)

Rio State Close

With Cabofriense losing this win made sure of our fourth place finish and a place in the knockout stages of Rio State Close.

We got off to a flyer with goal machine Fernando feeding off a Carlos Alberto corner into the six yard box. Carlos Alberto was in action again for the second, dancing round defenders before eventually being hauled down by Pablo, Rodrigo Pimpao stepped up to convert the spot kick with a delicate side foot into the bottom corner.

The third goal was a beautiful move of free flowing football and delightful passing. The half time kick off from Kardec found Edu on the left wing; Edu played it first time to Teixeira who, faced with two defenders, played it inside to Carlos Alberto just outside the area. Carlos Alberto had time and space to stroke it out right, playing it in front of Paulo Sergio and setting it up perfectly for the right back to play and quick curling ball towards the back post, where Teixeira had stolen in. It was the easiest of tap ins for the make shift striker, who slides in and finishes the move.

The final goal came from another Carlos Alberto corner and Fernando header, the two goals giving the central defender another man of the match award.

Fluminese (3) Vasco (2)

Rio State Close

Our final league game of the season and although we had already qualified for the semi finals and were guaranteed fourth spot, we had to field a full strength team against high flyers Fluminese.

Tempers flared and we ended the match with nine players, Fluminese with ten. Ramon got his marching orders in the 86th minute for a vicious high tackle on Thiago Neves, Amaral, staring defeat in the face, lost his temper and got a second yellow in the 89th. Leandro’s elbow in the 62nd saw him receive a straight red and the fans turn on him. Our equalsier came from a Lima corner and Vinicius header.

Despite the negatives there was some excellent football on show. Fluminese took the lead when Thiago Neves picked up the ball on the edge of the area and held of his marker just long enough to slide a through ball to Eduardo Ratinho. Ratinho had made space for himself and had plenty of time to slot the ball home.

We took the lead in long ball fashion. A free kick awarded on the half way line, was played long by Amaral and Lima, playing on the left, powered in to play the header across the penalty area. Teixeira was on hand to control the ball with his chest and fire it past the keeper. It didn’t last long though as another free kick, 30 yards out, was placed expertly converted by Leandro.

A draw wouldn’t have been so bad, all things considered, but it wasn’t meant to be. As full time approached Dalton found Maicon with the throw on the left. Maicon took the ball down and ran at Vinicius, getting the better of him and making the byline, before hammering the ball across the face of goal, it cannoned off Edu, under pressure from Thiago Neves and Fluminese had their win thanks to an own goal.

Ultimately disappointing, but a wholehearted performance. I’m convinced we could have won if we had kept our heads. However, look on the bright side, we had achieved what was expected of us, 4th place behind the First Division teams and giving them a run for their money while we were at it. The league table made pleasant reading, going into the knockout stages.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team             |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Flamengo         |       | 15    | 14    | 1     | 0     | 52    | 6     | +46   | 43    | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Fluminense       |       | 15    | 14    | 0     | 1     | 43    | 6     | +37   | 42    | 
| 3rd   |       | Botafogo         |       | 15    | 12    | 1     | 2     | 39    | 5     | +34   | 37    | 
[b]| 4th   |       | Vasco            |       | 15    | 11    | 2     | 2     | 49    | 10    | +39   | 35    | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|[/b] 
| 5th   |       | Cabofriense      |       | 15    | 9     | 3     | 3     | 22    | 10    | +12   | 30    | 
| 6th   |       | Duque de Caxias  |       | 15    | 8     | 3     | 4     | 30    | 17    | +13   | 27    | 
| 7th   |       | Madureira        |       | 15    | 5     | 2     | 8     | 16    | 23    | -7    | 17    | 
| 8th   |       | Friburguense     |       | 15    | 4     | 5     | 6     | 10    | 20    | -10   | 17    | 
| 9th   |       | Boavista (RJ)    |       | 15    | 4     | 4     | 7     | 12    | 20    | -8    | 16    | 
| 10th  |       | Bangu            |       | 15    | 3     | 4     | 8     | 11    | 29    | -18   | 13    | 
| 11th  |       | Volta Redonda    |       | 15    | 3     | 4     | 8     | 11    | 31    | -20   | 13    | 
| 12th  |       | Macaé            |       | 15    | 3     | 4     | 8     | 12    | 34    | -22   | 13    | 
| 13th  |       | Tigres do Brasil |       | 15    | 2     | 6     | 7     | 7     | 18    | -11   | 12    | 
| 14th  |       | Americano        |       | 15    | 3     | 2     | 10    | 7     | 24    | -17   | 11    | 
| 15th  | R     | Resende          |       | 15    | 1     | 4     | 10    | 5     | 34    | -29   | 7     | 
| 16th  | R     | Mesquita         |       | 15    | 1     | 1     | 13    | 8     | 47    | -39   | 4     | 

Vasco (2) Flamengo (1)

Rio State Close Semi Final

This was our third game against Flamengo and after one loss and one draw, we finally get our win, a scalp for the fans and a place in the Rio State Close Final.

Our opening goal comes from a Paulo Sergio throw on the right, Kardec controlled the ball and played it back to Paulo Sergio. He takes it inside and shows great vision to play a low ball into the feet of Rodrigo Pimpao in the six yard box. Pimpao is only in the team due to injury problems, it’s so bad we could only name two subs, but he shows incredible craft and flair to back heel the ball past Bruno and give us the lead after only four minutes.

Flamengo hit back through Josiel, in controversial circumstances. Obina, who had been controlled well by Amaral, played the ball down the right to Egido, it was plain to see that Egido was well offside, but the linesman kept his flag down and the referee played on. Dismayed by the decision my defenders lose concentration for a few seconds too long and when Egido plays the ball to Josiel on the edge of the area, we are too slow to react and he has all the time in the world to bury a low left footed drive into the bottom right hand corner.

Fernando pops up with the winner and bags himself the man of the match award, with a header from a Lima near post corner. Not only was this a vital win for the fans, but an amazing feat as the second division Vasco side had battled their way to the final of the Rio State Close and a potential final place in Rio State.

Vasco (1) Fluminese (0)

Rio State Close Final

The fans show their appreciation to the players and turn out in force for our final appearance against hated rivals Fluminese. If we win this match we have a chance of meeting Flamengo, the Rio State Open winners, in the Rio State Final.

Compared to the league game, ten days earlier, this is a non event. The players look tired and both sides struggle to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. At half time we were looking towards extra time and penalties, unless either side came up with a moment of genius. Lucky for us, the moment of genius came from our side and our main man Leo Lima.

In the 69th minute, as the 73,000 fans yawned, Lima stepped up to a free kick on the right side of the d and curled it round the wall and into the bottom corner. The only goal of the game and another victory against strong opposition.

Second division Vasco crowned Champions of Rio State Close and due to meet Flamengo in the Rio State Final. It’s an amazing achievement and perhaps the most influential player of all, Lima, is behind the success. It’s fitting that he receives the man of the match award.

Vasco (0) Flamengo (2)

Rio State Final Leg One

The Maracana was shaking with the anticipation of 92,000 hungry fans. Both sets of fans wanted the trophy, but wanted to see their side put one over their rivals even more. As a two legged affair there was always the chance that if we limited their chances and lost by the odd goal, we could nick it in the second leg, but that’s chance and things left to chance never work out.

We were outplayed, a Flamengo team smarting from their State Close Semi Final defeat, they were out to win, focused and determined. Biancucchi took the man of the match award, having scored the two all important goals. They were almost identical, slide rule passes to the edge of the box, turn and finish. The first came from a Toro pass, he slid it between two defenders and the run from Biancucchi provided him with an easy chance to slide it low past Prass into the corner. The second required a little more skill, the pass coming from Ibson this time, Biancucchi controlled it and despite close attention from Fernando and Edu, managed to squeeze through and slide it past Prass into the same corner.

They deserved their win and the fans were disappointed, but we weren’t out of it yet. Two goals seemed like an unassailable lead, but stranger things have happened and despite the performance we were confident of making something out of nothing in the second leg.

Have you been round the sights yet? What are you waiting for? Rio is a beautiful city; perhaps I’ll treat you to a guided tour. Goodness me you’re keen, I never thought my life would interest anyone, we’ll do the tour after I’ve finished.

There was the odd game, here and there, where I excelled, but every player has that. There were just as many games where I didn’t produce the goods, but no matter how well I performed I was always a professional. I didn’t drink, I didn’t do drugs, I didn’t go out partying the night before the game, I always had my eye on the ball and everyone respected me because of that attitude. The youth team looked up to me, through their innocent eyes I was a role model, my colleagues respected me and in a way my management relied on me. They relied on me to show the youngsters that you could forge a career in football without selling your soul and they relied on me to show the fans that football wasn’t full of mercenaries out for a quick buck and a little bit of fame.

My attitude and professionalism is why they encouraged me to go into coaching. When I was 27 I was offered the chance to coach the Portuguesa youth team and help out with reserve training. At first I wasn’t sure about it, but what was I supposed to do once my playing career was over? My father had told me that there was a job for life waiting for me in his offices, but I didn’t want to live the life he had lived. I accepted their offer and started my apprenticeship. Before long I was enjoying the coaching more than the playing and working my way through the teams, helping out with first team training, leading by example.

Many years later the man who gave me my first taste of coaching would tell me that he knew my career had management and success written all over it, but at the time I was happy playing every week and learning my new trade. I never had aspirations to be a manager; I just wanted to make sure I had a life involved in football for the foreseeable future.

Fancy another?

Flamengo (1) Vasco (1)

Rio State Final Leg Two

Their fans have the last laugh and our fans leave Maracana disappointed. They may be disappointed, but I think everyone realised the feat we had achieved in reaching the Rio State Final. Yes, we are Vasco, steeped in history and world renowned, but we aren’t that Vasco anymore, we’re second division Vasco and we’ve held our own against Brazilian Champions elect, matched them and not so long ago beaten them.

Flamengo got the opener and it was that man Biancucchi, back to haunt us after his brace on the first leg. Flamango’s Paulo Sergio had the ball on the right and played it back into the centre for Toro, who played a neat ball forward to Josiel on the edge of the box. As Josiel swung his right foot Fernando managed to nip in and push it clear, only as far as Sergio though, who swings a delicate ball into the near post. Biancucchi is there; he controls it perfectly and slides it between Tiago’s legs. Lima gets us a consolation in the 79th minute, playing as a striker due to our raft of injuries and suspensions, he times his run to perfection and gets behind the defence and on to Amaral’s through ball before sliding it past Bruno and in off the post.

We were outplayed again, but we held our own and defended with gusto. Biancucchi gets man of the match, which was to be expected considering his three goals in the two matches, but each and every one of my players deserved recognition, not for this match, but for their overall performance in the competition. I’d never been prouder.

Bragantino (1) Vasco (1)

Second Division

Bread and butter time, the all important league season. Promotion from Second Division would see us back in our rightful place, anything less would all but guarantee my departure, we didn’t get off to a good start.

This was a game of two goals from one man, divine retribution for defensive stalwart Vinicius. He’s at fault for the goal that puts us behind. Fernando’s throw on the right finds Malquias, who plays it back to him. Fernando’s first time ball into the area is on target, but bouncing in the 6 yard box. Vinicius tries to scoop it clear, but he’s under pressure from Para and slices his clearance, his head in his hands as he watches it roll past Tiago.

We hammered at the door, but we were still suffering from injuries, so much so that Carlos Alberto and Leo Lima were our front two, neither comfortable with the position. Vincius meets his demons head on in the 86th minute an gets the equaliser, the relief evident on his face. Lima’s corner found him in the 6 yard box and his header down was going straight for Malquias, but this time it’s Malquias turn to slice it, standing on the line and only able to push it into the top of the net and not clear.

A slow star, perhaps down to the recent matches against high flying opposition, but regret isn’t something a manager has time to get lost in.

Vasco (0) Bahia (0)

Second Division

Our slow start continues with a bore draw in a dead match. Bahia may well be title rivals and contenders, but Vasco are always expected to beat them, especially at home and especially with a mans advantage.

The only incident came in the 22nd minute, Allison sent off for an elbow on Amaral. At that point I thought we would go on to win it, but we struggled, struggled with 11 against 10 and the papers had their story, our Rio State success was long forgotten.

Juventude (1) Vasco (3)

Second Division

Another challenger, a better performance and our first win of the league season. Things started look up, we played well and took the game to Juventude, pushing them and hounding them. Showing our class and toying with them.

Vinicius opened the scoring with a trademark header from a trademark Leo Lima free kick on the right. The second went to Kardec, making his first team return after a string of niggling injuries that had kept him on the sidelines. Paulo Sergio’s long ball forward bounced awkwardly and evaded everyone, most importantly the Juvetude midfield. Teixeira was onto it in a flash, bearing down on goal, but hounded by Marques. In a last ditch tackle Marques slid in, toe poking the ball away from Teixeira, but straight to the unmarked Kardec who had time to compose himself and side foot it past the onrushing keeper.

Juventude were given a glimmer of hope, early in the second half. Fabinho’s cutback inside to Francismar was perfect and Fancismar had plenty of time to tee up a beautiful chip into the path of Felipe who had got between Vinicius and Fernando, controlling it on his chest and volleying it past Tiago. However, we made sure of the three points with a Teixeira goal, which was more than deserved for his work rate and team work throughout the game. Pimpao’s run down the right was blocked, but marauding beside him was Paulo Sergio who controlled the ball well and got to the by line, flicking a cross toward the near post for Texeira to nod in.

Our first win and a three goal haul saw us jump up the league and to within a few points of first, place.

Vasco (2) Parana (1)

Second Division

Pre-season we were, unsurprisingly, touted as Champions, with Bahia, Juventude and Figuierense labeled as our only serious competition. However, after three games, a slow start for all four challengers meant that Parana had marched to the top of the league after three straight wins. A win would put us top, but Parana were on form and should not be considered pushovers.

Luck for me Edgar was back to partner Kardec up front and add some much needed strength and aerial ability. It was precisely this that brought us the opening goal in the 6th minute, Ramon battling his way down the left wing and delivering a superb ball toward the penalty spot, where Edgar was waiting to nod it expertly into the top corner. His second came from a asimilar delivery to the penalty spot, although this time he had his work cut out fending off the close attention being paid by Joao Paulo, he managed to get his head to it and steer it past the keeper.

2-0 up and as the second half started to take shape, the reasons for Parana’s early season success became apparent, they were monsters. Nipping, tripping, elbowing, tugging, every trick in the book, they wheeled it out and used it to their advantage. The referee seemed happy to let them away with it and this resulted in minor injuries to Teixeira, Lima and Kardec. My substitutions didn’t put them off, they seemed even more intent than ever to destroy my team and when Paulo Sergio hobbled off with ligament damage in the 74th minute, I was unable to replace him.

We played with ten men for 16 minutes, but we did ourselves proud. Conceding a goal to a deflected Lenilson drive, but keeping the warriors at bay and claiming top spot as our own.

Glad you're enjoying MeLikeFM :)

Do you remember your first match? As a fan, not a player. Who took you? How did you feel afterwards? Yeah, I know that feeling.

It was 1961, I was ten years old. The glory days of Expresso da Victoria were long gone and Vasco were making up the numbers in the league, never threatened with relegation and never in with a shout of the title. I loved football; my father loved football although he maintained that these Brazilian’s weren’t half as good as the Italian’s.

The walk to the match is something I’ll never forget, the carnival atmosphere, people laughing and singing, scarves being waved and flags being flown. Holding my father’s hand, him looking down at my awe struck face, smiling and asking if I was excited. Squeezing through rusty turnstiles and suddenly separated from my father, my heart racing, spinning round and finally relaxing when I realised that it was his hand on my shoulder.

I don’t remember much about the match, I didn’t see much of it. Everyone stood, and even when my father raised me onto his shoulders my view was blocked by flags and tributes. I listened to the songs they sang and tried to dance along with them. The stadium remained full, long after the match had finished, the party continued. It continued in the streets as well, I didn’t even know the score, but I didn’t love football anymore, I adored it.

Sao Caetano (1) Vasco (3)

Second Division

Our unbeaten start to the season continued, with a hard fought win against promotion chaser Sao Caetano, a team who were never likely to make a serious title challenge, but were more than capable of producing the odd upset.

Our opening goal came from Kardec, who had found goals difficult to come by, of late and celebrated like his life depended on the finish. Edu’s run down the left was blocked by a pair of Caetano defenders, turning inside he found Edgar on the corner of the area. Edgar turned back, shaping to pass back, but turning inside and sliding a ball toward the penalty spot. Kardec was on hand to sing his left foot at the ball and find the top corner. Fernando doubled our lead with a well timed jump, under pressure, and header from a Lima corner.

Goalkeeper, come free kick taker, come penalty specialist, completed the scoring with a spot kick in the 70th minute. Marcio adjudged to have brought down Lima in the box. Caetano go a consolation with a Tobi finish in the dying minutes, after Tiago parried Marcio’s long drive.

The win maintained our position at the top of the league, but Bahia were matching us step by step and giving us something to look over our shoulders at.

Vasco (2) America (RN) (1)

Second Division

We went into this match having been dealt a difficult and soul crushing body blow, two days earlier Leo Lima signed for German club Bayer Leverkusen. So far this season, particularly in the Rio State, he has been our talisman, our star performer, the leader of the pack. However, the £1.2m fee is too good to turn down, especially considering our crippling debt that has drifted towards £3m. Every month it gets worse and player sales, not renewing contracts is the only way we have of managing the crisis. Prass, Teixeira, Amaral, Fernando and Tiago are catching the eyes of bigger clubs and it’s only a matter of time before they move on. Loan signings like Carlos Alberto won’t last long either, their clubs expecting wage contributions that are out of our league. All I can do is keep winning, with the financial difficulties adding even more emphasis to the already hefty expectation placed on my shoulders by the board.

The match was one sided, even though the score line was less than convincing. The first goal comes from one of those players likely to move on, Teixeira getting on the end of a parried Ramon shot and sliding it into an unguarded net. The second comes from a corner, Carlos Alberto taking over where Lima left off and delivering a perfect ball for Fernando to nod home.

America’s hope came from a Tiago mistake. Carlos Alberto lost out to Marcinho 30 yards out from goal, with Carlos Alberto protesting on the ground Marcinho had plenty of time to play the ball into Rodrigues on the edge of the area. Rodrigues shot was tame, but Tiago slipped and it rolled past the humiliated keeper.

Vasco (1) Ceara (0)

Second Division

Our injury blighted season continues, only five subs are available for this match, which is bad, but with Teixeira and Kardec leaving the field before the 90 minutes are up, it looks like a disaster. Despite our woes, we struggle to a 1-0 win, it wasn’t pretty, but we deserved it.

Teixeira picked up the ball in our half and ran at the defenders, twisting and turning, tricking his was to the byline where he chips a delicate near post cross. Kardec is on the end of it, flicking the ball past the keeper and giving us a win against all odds. That might seem over dramatic, but we were stretched, both on the pitch and off it. Reserves unavailable due to reserve team fixtures and injuries meant that half of my team wouldn’t have got anywhere near the first team if I had a full quota available.

Ponte Preta (1) Vasco (0)

Second Division

Our first league defeat of the season, through no fault of our own. Kardec and Teixeira don’t recover in time so our previously flimsy subs bench is decimated further, leaving us with only three subs available and no reserve keeper. Despite our problems, we give a good account of ourselves, controlling as much possession as possible, but struggling to make chances. Even if the chances had been created it seemed unlikely that we could convert them with a 16 year old striker and Vinicius up front.

The goal for Preta is truly stunning and worthy of being the winning goal. Alves took the ball down the left wing before playing it down the line to Leandrinho who battled past Fernando and cut a high pass back to the edge of the box. As the ball dropped, Fredson swung his foot, catching it on a half volley, we knew it would end up in the back of the net before it was anywhere near the goal.

At the end of June, we remained at the right end of the table. By the time our next match came round I expected a majority of the unavailable players will be back and raring to go.

My father? Well, what can I say? He was my hero, a constant inspiration. He lived for his family and worked his heart out to provide them with the life he felt they deserved. Have you ever dealt with death? No…you’re too young, there’s plenty of time for misery like that after you’ve enjoyed your life. I was the same.

I was extremely lucky, in a way. I never had anyone close to me die, or fall ill, until I was relatively old. In fact my father was the first person I ever lost. Of course, my grandparents had passed away, but I never knew them, moving to Brazil at such an early age meant that any memory I had of them was long forgotten. It was the December of 1981, I was 31 years old, my parents had both retired and were enjoying their lives. I’ll never forget the phone call.

I was covering first team training with Portuguesa, putting the lads through their paces on a wind swept afternoon, it just so happened to be a day that the sun wasn’t splitting the trees. One of the club secretaries approached me and told me that I had to take come to reception, when I took the call I froze, I didn’t want to believe it, I couldn’t believe it. Everyone knows that they will deal with death at some point and everyone knows that losing your parents is something you have to go through, but nobody is ever prepared.

My father had died peacefully in his sleep, but that didn’t make me feel any better. My mother was a rock, she guided me through a time I had always thought I would need to guide her. She organised the funeral, she made the speech and I sat by, still numb, still frozen. Mum was strong, but it took it’s toal on her and she was never the same, as I came to understand and accept my loss, it galvanized me, it made me stronger, it made me more determined. My father might not have lived to see me realise my dreams, but I always knew that he looked down from above and was proud of me.

Vila Nova (0) Vasco (1)

Second Division

One week later and still smarting from our loss to Ponte Preta, we welcomed back a number of players. I have no doubt that had it not been for injuries, we would be sitting pretty and looking down on the trailing pack, but that’s wishful thinking and the fact of the matter is that events have conspired against us and we’ve managed it well.

Amaral’s free kick out right from the centre of the park was inch perfect and picked up by Pimpao. Rodrigo played it forward to Fagner who barged his way through the defenders in his path and lifted the ball toward the back post. Kardec had given his marker the slip and was free to nod in the only goal of the game.

1-0 might seem like a disappointing score line against a team like Vila Nova, but I was pleased. The team were gradually gelling again, finding each other and settling into the groove that had been disturbed. The loss of players such as Lima and Carlos Alberto had also had a dramatic effect and now, more than ever, there was a reliance on youth and dependence on belief.

Vasco (2) Campinense (0)

Second Division

A second win a row cannot be considered a run, but it can be considered consolidation and that’s exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t want to see my players rip teams apart, if they did it was a bonus, but all I was interested in was the result at the end of the match and the points added that determined our position in the league table.

Fernandinho’s free kick, delivered from the left, dropped into the six yard box perfectly. He’s a player who hadn’t featured much due to injury and Lima form, but he was taking his chance in the first team and making a claim for a contract renewal, if finances permit. Vinicius was there to scramble the ball over the line.

Tiago had the chance to score yet another penalty, but his shot was pushed on to the post. The second goal came from a Fernandinho corner, headed in by Vinicius and it was job done. A professional performance that didn’t exactly cover us in glory, but did give us three points, which is just how I like it.

Duque de Caxias (0) Vasco (0)

Second Division

What can I tell you about a match that didn’t exist? It did exist, in the context that we were there, fans were there and the teams kicked a ball around the pitch, but it didn’t exist in the context that nothing at all happened. Neither side had a shot on target, one corner each and a couple of niggly fouls given. The only thing of note about this match was our inability to break down Duque and take the game to a team rock bottom of the table. We had beaten them 3-0 in the Rio State Championship, making light work of them in the process, but we struggled in the more important Second Division match. Our only saving grace was that Bahia also drew, neither of us had the advantage yet and it was busy as usual.

Vasco (3) Ipatinga (1)

Second Division

The problem with the Brazilian league fixtures is that you either play matches within three days of each other or have ten days rest between them. It was becoming apparent that the 10 days rest between matches benefitted my team and gave them a chance to recover, we struggled when were limited to two/three days rest.

Edgar’s first game back, the strike partnership together again and he makes an instant impact. Tiago’s long ball up field is headed on by Edgar and picked up by Kardec who takes it forward, but blasts his shot at the keeper. Thiago Brava saves it, but only parries as far as Ramon who is free to side foot it goal wards and open the scoring. Titi got our other two goals, headers from corners, one delivered by Amaral, the other delivered by Rafael.

Ipatinga’s consolation came from a Tiago save. He got down well to push Fausto’s header away, but the defence were too slow to react and Diego Silva had all the time in the world to score an easy tap in.

Vasco (2) Figueirense (1)

Second Division

Figueirense had disappointed all season, their one famous victory coming against us in the Brazilian Cup, otherwise they had flattered to deceive and the title challengers were sitting in mid table. This was the first time we had a real chance of settling some demons. We had lost previously and may have taken heart and bitterness into the return fixtures against Flamengo, but Figuirense were a different kettle of fish. They were a team we should have beaten and this was our chance to give them a taste of their own medicine, show them who’s boss.

With midfield strength in mind I had dropped Fernandinho and opted for the stronger and tougher Rafael, to partner Amaral in the centre, it worked a treat. If he wasn’t breaking down attacks or passing moves, he was providing assists or scoring goals. His corner, nodded in by Titi, gave us the lead; his goal was a little more spectacular. Edu’s ball down the left found Ramon, who managed to beat his man before dragging the ball back to the edge of the box, Rafael was there to side foot it, curl it and find the top corner. We were in the driving seat, but the players knew that they had to focus.

Figueirense’s goal was fortuitous and against the run of play. Massari’s cross misjudged by everyone and looping into the net, he didn’t mean it and the players seemed dumbstruck that it had found its way in. Despite that falter we held our nerve and emerged victorious, with our heads held high. Figueirense’s misery compounded by William Matheus’ sending off in the final minute.

*Just for you MeLIkeFM, I hadn't planned on updating today, but here's an update and league table included*

My career wasn’t without controversy; I was a very outspoken player and manager. Hahaha, you wouldn’t think it would you? I speak my mind, doesn’t mean I’m ignorant when doing so, but I always leave whoever I’m talking to in no doubt as to where I stand on the matter.

The Brazilian team of the 90’s and 2000’s was pathetic, there’s no other word for it. My father considered himself Italian, but I was a Brazilian, only interested in Brazil. Yeah, they won competitions and the teams included some of the most terrific footballers of their generation, but they didn’t play like Brazilian’s, they didn’t entertain, they never seemed to have that edge of skill on the opposition.

Scolari’s team was the worst. Cheating their way through games, told to waste as much time as possible and throw themselves on the ground as theatrically as possible. You remember the Rivaldo dive? Yeah, that’s the one. The whole world turned against a Brazilian son, but he was following instructions from a man intent on winning in whatever manner possible and to hell with merit.

My distaste for his style came to a head after the World Cup win. When asked, by a reporter, about my feelings on the triumph I was, as always, brutally honest. Nobody took much notice of second division footballers, let alone second division managers, they weren’t considered news, but I was. I was all over the papers, my phone off the hook, Scolari at my door. You may think it weak, but I avoided him, I steered clear, mean with power like that can ruin you and I couldn’t afford that. No, I backed down, I revoked my comments and endorsed the man I hated, but I knew one day I would have the last laugh and one day I did.

ABC (2) Vasco (1)

Second Division

There is no injury crisis to hide behind now, a full strength team was fielded and they didn’t perform. ABC are in the top half, but we should be beating them, in theory we should be winning all our games in this league, but sometimes it just doesn’t click. Nevertheless, I make sure the players know how disappointed I am, two losses in seven games is unacceptable, particularly as we enter mid season.

Their opener was all too easy, our defence fast asleep, letting More in to head the ball past Tiago from a Tales cross on the left. The second was just as bad, Fernandinho dallying on the bal in midfield, taking his time and getting caught out by Tales. Tales played the ball down the left wing to the impressive Ricardinho who cuts inside and showed fantastic pace to stay in front of the defence and slide the ball into the back of the net.

Fernandinho made a mends with a diving header after good work from Pimpao, but it wasn’t enough to appease the fans or the board. A meeting has been held to discuss my future as our title shoe in languish in fourth place.

Vasco (2) Brasiliense (0)

Second Division

I was given time, told to buck my ideas up, but given time. The performance in Rio State doesn’t cut any ice, in football you live and die based on the performance in your last match and we hadn’t performed, not through any fault of my own, but in the eyes of the board it was my fault and my fault only.

We continued to find success from the corner flag and our goal hungry defenders gave us the points yet again, Fernando’s goal came from a Nilton corner, floated into the box, Fernando had managed to escape his marker and get to the near post, flicking it past the keeper. Amaral delivered the second and no such grace from Vinicius as he powered a header down into the ground and up into the roof of the net.

It could and probably should have been more, but a series of chances were spurned and despite the win our fans were left disappointed with the score line.

Atletico Goianiense (2) Vasco (2)

Second Division

For some bizarre reason we always seem to struggle against the smaller teams, the teams battling for survival and safety. Perhaps it’s down to complacency, an air of expectancy or arrogance that has us believe that we’ll win with ease and don’t have to perform to our best in order to get the result. Either way, it’s something I would have to work on. We’d done well against our equals and if we had produced the goods against the smaller teams the league would seem like plain sailing.

The first incident of note was Amaral’s sending off in the 14th minute for a brutal elbow to the throat of an Atletico player. I was disgusted; I considered myself and my team to be professionals and never expected any of them, particularly not Amaral, to show such petulance and disregard. I sent an assistant after him, down the tunnel, to tell him he would be fined at least two weeks wages.

Vinicus got both our goals, headers from corners, Amaral swinging one in from the left, Fernandinho swinging the other in from the right. Either side of our goals were the Atletico equalizers. The first was a corner, for all the goals our defence had scored from corners we couldn’t seem tot defend them, Junior converting Andrade’s set piece. Their second equalizer came from a long punt up field picked up by Anailson and flicked inside to Junior who found the top scorner with a stunning strike.

We’re still up there, flitting between first and second, but we’re not reaching our potential and the papers seem intent on making sure that I know it.

Vasco (1) Fortaleza (0)

Second Division

I could talk about this match until the cows come home, not because it was a classic, but because of the goal. A goal that embodied my footballing philosophy, a Brazilian goal, created by crisp passing and intelligent movement. The crowd sounded their appreciation, the press touted it as goal of the season.

Picking up the ball ten yards outside our area, Vincius played a slow pass back to Tiago. Rather than take a touch Tiago swept it out to Fernando who played it, after one touch, to Edu. A quick dummy, letting it roll through his legs, and turn gave Edu time and space to pick out a pass and play it down the left wing to Galhardo. Galhardo, covered by two defenders, moved the ball back and cut it inside to Fernandinho, whose touch and pass was exquisite, picking out Edgar on the edge of the box. Edgar turned, but his path was blocked, forced to turn and play the ball right to Pimpao who didn’t control it, but laid it forward for the rampaging Paulo Sergio to swing in an inch perfect near post cross. Kardec was there, in front of his marker, guiding it into the back of the net. In the space of eight passes and a matter of seconds we had worked the ball from just outside our area, into the back of our opponents net. It was truly stunning and the players were justifiably delighted.

The usual video was provided after the match, but rather than sit down together to watch and analyse our performance, we watched, over and over, and marveled at that goal.

Guarani (0) Vasco (2)

Second Division

Guarani may have only recently been promoted to the Second Division, but so far they had given a good account of themselves in the league and were capable of springing a surprise, especially at home. However, their chances of an upset were limited when Guerreiro received his marching orders, for a foul on Edgar, in the second minute. It looked innocuous, but by the end of the match the penalty wouldn’t be the only piece of refereeing that people were questioning.

The first goal came from the penalty spot, Tiago converting it, the penalty award was disputed by Guarani staff and players. Edgar had gone down, under pressure from Terra, and there was no doubt that it was a foul, but it was outside the box, way outside the box. The ref didn’t hesitate in raising the whistle to his mouth and pointing at the spot. After the match I told the press the truth, though I did not begrudge us the goal.

The second was as clean cut as they come. Nilton’s ball into the box was picked up by Kardec who turned his man beautifully but played his shot straight at the keeper. The parry found it’s way to Rodrigo Pimpao, who had enough to steady himself and volley the ball, side footed, past the keeper and in off the far post.

There were mutterings that we should have done better against a team with ten men, but three points won against a top half banana skin is not to be sniffed at.

Vasco (2) Bragantino (2)

Second Division

Time to start replaying our season over again, the chance to make up for some of those disappointing results in the first half of the season and cement our promotion aspirations with a good run in. Up first, Bragantino, the team we opened our campaign against with a disappointing draw and a team that we should be beating, but once again fate conspires against us and we struggle to cope with the long ball game.

Another corner routine caught our defence out, it was becoming irritating watching Vincius celebrate scoring a fantastic header, but unable to head a ball clear. Da Silva finds some space and heads in Dhiego’s cross. Vinicus makes up for it with another headed goal from a Fernandinho corner, but Bragantino take the lead again, through unfortunate circumstances.

Peter’s corner, played in from the left, catches everyone out and rebounds off the bar to the edge of the area. Malquias picks it up and plays it in to Dhiego, whose shot is tame, but beats Tiago and comes back off the post. Unfortunately for us the rebound rolls along the line and in an attempt to clear it Paulo Sergio pushes it that little bit too far over the line and it’s 2-1. A second Vinicius header gives us the point, but we’re left curing our luck.

With half the season gone everything seems to be going to plan, despite our hiccups. Leading scorers in the league, the second best defensive record, one point behind Bahai, But with a game in hand and a fully fit squad. The only sour point is the bank balance, which has breached £2m in the red again, despite the sale of Lima and reduction in wages. There is a very real possibility that even if we do make it out of the Second Division the damage caused by reduction in gate receipts etc will be irreparable.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | Bahia               |       | 20    | 13    | 3     | 4     | 27    | 11    | +16   | 42    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
[i][b]| 2nd   |       | Vasco               |       | 19    | 12    | 5     | 2     | 30    | 14    | +16   | 41    |[/b][/i] 
| 3rd   |       | Ponte Preta         |       | 19    | 10    | 6     | 3     | 23    | 14    | +9    | 36    | 
| 4th   |       | Fortaleza           |       | 20    | 10    | 5     | 5     | 23    | 15    | +8    | 35    | 
| 5th   |       | Portuguesa          |       | 19    | 10    | 4     | 5     | 24    | 16    | +8    | 34    | 
| 6th   |       | ABC                 |       | 20    | 10    | 3     | 7     | 28    | 22    | +6    | 33    | 
| 7th   |       | São Caetano         |       | 19    | 9     | 6     | 4     | 28    | 16    | +12   | 33    | 
| 8th   |       | Paraná              |       | 20    | 9     | 6     | 5     | 18    | 15    | +3    | 33    | 
| 9th   |       | Guarani             |       | 20    | 8     | 5     | 7     | 16    | 17    | -1    | 29    | 
| 10th  |       | Figueirense         |       | 20    | 7     | 8     | 5     | 23    | 17    | +6    | 29    | 
| 11th  |       | América (RN)        |       | 20    | 8     | 4     | 8     | 19    | 16    | +3    | 28    | 
| 12th  |       | Juventude           |       | 20    | 7     | 5     | 8     | 21    | 23    | -2    | 26    | 
| 13th  |       | Ceará               |       | 20    | 5     | 7     | 8     | 19    | 23    | -4    | 22    | 
| 14th  |       | Bragantino          |       | 19    | 4     | 10    | 5     | 12    | 17    | -5    | 22    | 
| 15th  |       | Brasiliense         |       | 20    | 4     | 8     | 8     | 19    | 23    | -4    | 20    | 
| 16th  |       | Vila Nova (GO)      |       | 20    | 4     | 8     | 8     | 10    | 14    | -4    | 20    | 
| 17th  |       | Campinense          |       | 20    | 3     | 7     | 10    | 13    | 26    | -13   | 16    | 
| 18th  |       | Atlético Goianiense |       | 20    | 3     | 6     | 11    | 15    | 26    | -11   | 15    | 
| 19th  |       | Ipatinga            |       | 19    | 2     | 5     | 12    | 8     | 26    | -18   | 11    | 
| 20th  |       | Duque de Caxias     |       | 20    | 0     | 7     | 13    | 7     | 32    | -25   | 7     | 

*Cheers MLFM, glad you're still with us.*

Another drink? It’s thirsty work all this talking, tell me if I start to slur my words, hahaha. What’s that? Ah, I wondered when you were going to ask me that, probably the most important part of this story, but you’ve waited until now to ask.

2008, ten years after the Copa Libertadores victory, Vasco suffered the humiliation of relegation from the Brazilian First Division, the first relegation in their 110 year history. 36,000 fans watched the final match of that season, 36,000 fans cried. This was the end of the world for many people, one guy even scaled the roof of the stadium at the end of the match, claiming that he was so distraught that he would take his own life. It was surreal.

For many people Christmas was ruined, the next year would be ruined, Second Division football wasn’t good enough and there was nothing to look forward to, other than the hpe that in 12 months time Vasco’s return would be confirmed. You have to remember that the people of Rio live for their football and the rivalry is intense, this was humiliation and I, just like everyone else, was disgusted with the team and worried for its future. Why? Brazilian teams have a reputation for not managing their finances particularly well, Vasco had done well to keep things ticking over, but the loss of revenue from dropping a decision and the loss of gate receipts would have many knock on effects. Players wouldn’t want to play for us, they would want to move on, making the chances of promotion slimmer as the team got weaker. Less money would be coming in so there was even less chance of being able to afford the best players, which again would make our promotion aspirations slimmer. It was a horrific proposition for the board and fans, only a mad man would feel that he could make good of the plight.

What’s that? Hahaha, yes, I suppose I am calling myself mad.

Bahia (1) Vasco (1)

Second Division

Yet to play our game in hand against our main title rivals, we had a chance of building a commanding lead over them if we managed to beat them on home soil. Easier said than done with our recent away form in mind, we had won one, lost one and drawn one of our last three away matches. That said, confidence was high and the players in good spirits before kick off, the only dampener being the continuing disillusionment of those players who were all but certain to be released at the end of the season, no matter how well they had played and those players who found themselves on the transfer list as the club attempted to earn some money.

Goal scoring goalkeeper, Tiago, got us off to a good start with a breathtaking free kick from 30 yards out. To the right of goal it seemed like he would curl it round the wall and towards the top right, but he fooled everyone, lifting the ball over the wall and curling it into the top left. Tiago had made himself a fans favorite and regular, wrestling the number one jersey away from Prass with a series of impressive saves and a healthy dose of goals.

Unfortunately for us, Tiago wasn’t the only free kick expert on the field and when Helton Luiz stepped up, minutes before full time, the crowd held their breath. His delightful dink round the wall, from inside the D, was like a dagger to our heart, but had to be appreciated.

The draw wasn’t the best result, but it was better than nothing and still left us in with a chance of reclaiming top spot if we could win our game in hand.

Vasco (3) Juventude (0)

Second Division

We had put three past Juventude earlier in the season and our home form was good, so confidence and spirits, in the dressing room, were high. However, form had been inconsistent of late and a good win can do wonders in that regard.

The front line took the Juventude defence to task and all three goals came from the forward pairing of Edgar and Kardec. The first was a textbook wing play goal, Ramon’s run down the left wing and cross to the back post converted with ease by Edgar. Number two came from a Fernandinho corner, delivered to the penalty spot and attacked by Kardec, a bullet header fired past Gatti.

The third, from Kardec, was a mixture of luck and determination. Edu picked the ball up from a throw in, in our own half, and launched it down the line. Kardec was onto it, beating the defence for pace, but Gatti was off his line and bounding towards the edge of the area. Kardec was too quick and Gatti was forced outside his area to clear the ball, but he missed it completely, letting it roll through his legs and Kardec running on to it and walking it in to an empty net, leaving Gatti red faced.

Edgar and Kardec had been a mixed bag this season. Both players had obvious potential and youth on their side, but a mixture of injuries, loss of form and poor morale had seen both of them go for long periods with finding the net. In my heart I knew that a season in the First Division would be the making of them, but financial constraints meant that my front line would disappear, come December, off to Europe and the funds off to the bank, unavailable for replacements.

Parana (3) Vasco (2)

Second Division

The perils of a seventy-plus game season were starting to prove too much, the cracks starting to show. With every game the players get more and more tired, with every game the players get closer to release date and being out of a job, enough to kill anyone’s confidence. This game was a product of these problems, losing to three wonder goals is difficult to take, but our shortcomings are plain to see.

The first of three incredible Parana strikes came from Elvis, receiving the ball thirty yards out, he had time to turn inside and rifle a low left footed drive into the bottom right hand corner. I believed that this would spur us on, give us incentive and when Elton picked up Fernandinho’s pass and slotted it past the keeper, I expected us to go and win it. My belief was encouraged when, Parana’s, Carlos Alberto got his marching orders for a high tackle, 1-1 and plenty of time to take the game to the oppositions ten men.

Minutes later Lenilson controlled the ball in midfield, with no options and no obstructions he fired a hopeful shot at goal, catching it perfectly and finding the top corner. With just over twenty minutes remaining we had it all to do. Vinicius’ header from Fernandinho’s corner looked to have given us a disappointing point, but it got worse. Maycon’s beautifully weighted ball between defenders, was matched by Mandagua’s brilliantly timed run and the forward had time and space to slot it into the bottom corner.

We huffed and puffed for the remainder of the game, but never threatened. If anything, Parana could have added another, a carbon copy of their third goal, thwarted by a Tiago save. All of a sudden we found ourselves in fifth, with games in hand, but fifth was outside the promotion places and worry began to creep in.

Vasco (1) Sao Caetano (1)

Second Division

A win at home against our title rivals would lift us into second, still with our game in hand over Bahia. It wasn’t to be and it seemed that the second half of our season was beginning to fall to pieces; perhaps the opposition had worked us out, worked out how to counter our play. Either way, it was inconceivable to change style or formation now, the gelling in period could be disastrous and truth be told, we were far too limited in players to have any realistic options.

We went behind, through player error, Edu error. We had been far superior, but a heavy touch from the left back, on the edge of the area, fell kindly for Ademir Sopa, who raced onto it and smashed it high past Tiago. What had appeared as low confidence before the game, was now rock bottom. The players deflated, a lack of belief that no team talk could cure.

We struggled to our equaliser, a header by Titi from a Fernandinho corner, but we were lucky. We had looked good on home turf so far and the fact that we had struggled was of major concern. Our away form was horrendous; to lose home form too would be disastrous.

America (RN) (0) Vasco (0)

Second Division

Without an away win in a month, the knives were out and the vultures circling. We had the excuse of injuries, earlier in the season, but not now, an almost fully fit squad was available and it was a strong first team. Money issues and morale didn’t cut any ice anymore and people were growing tired of our excuses. The fact of the matter was that a team like Vasco should be top, regardless of morale or money, Vasco should have the quality to walk through a Second Division, on this showing, we didn’t.

Vasco (2) Vila Nova (1)

Second Division

A win at last, our first in four, but a less than convincing victory. Our recent loss of form had coincided with a number of challengers loss of form, which was lucky for us. Normally a loss and two draws would spell trouble, but Bahia and Sao Caetano had matched us for results and we remained, somehow, in the driving seat. This win bumped us up to second, with a favourable run in and game in hand.

Rodrigo Pimpao, with the ball on the edge of the area, played the ball back to Matheus, who swung in an inch perfect near post cross. Kardec was there to give us the lead, sliding in and getting just enough on it to steer between keeper and post. The second goal came from his strike partner, Edgar. Edu’s throw on half way was flicked down the left wing by Kardec, with Ramon running on to it and clipping it into the box. There were more than enough defenders available to deal with it, but enough to deal with the brute force of Edgar, who powered his way through and headed in.

Vila Nova’s consolation came from a Juliano header, after good work from Marco Aurelio who had shown Edgar-esque grit to get past Vinicius and Edu. It ended 2-1 and the relief was evident, only our second win of the month and top spot reclaimed as we enter the business end of the season. Seven games in October that we should win, seven games that we had to win.

• 3 weeks later...

Ceara (1) Vasco (0)

Second Division

This was disaster point, the final whistle signaling our descent into fifth place and out of the automatic promotion places. I’m clinging to the game in hand as if it’s my only chance, our only chance, when we should be doing so much better. There was a point during Rio State, when the fans would wait afterwards and clap us off, today they wait and boo. Our second defeat in five games and not even against a challenger, against a team in fourteenth.

The goal came as a result of a particularly pathetic clearance from Ramon, he didn’t connect cleanly and the ball trickled towards Maranhao on the right wing. The clearance was bad enough, but Ramon then decided to stand off him and with all the time in the world Maranhao was able to pick out Fabio Vidal, in space, on the edge of the area. Vidal let the ball run across his body before curling his left footed shot into the top corner.

Vasco (2) Ponte Preta (0)

Second Division

The horrific defeat at the hands of Ceara was the wake up call we needed, time to knuckle down and time to make promotion a certainty, not a possibility. All season our midfield had been behind everything good about our play, a number of players had performed above expectations and with that in mind I decided to try a 4-5-1, hoping to control games with Fernandinho, Amaral and Rafael, all skilful players who could create something from nothing, but strong players as well, who liked a tackle.

The first goal of the new regime came in the 33rd minute, a bullet free kick from 25 yards out, straight into the top corner. His opposite number was rooted to the spot as the ball flew past him. Goal number two was all about Nilton’s potential and ability. I had picked him sparingly this season, with Amaral first choice and Nilton one for the future, against Ponte Preta he showed his full potential. Fernandinho’s corner was headed out of the box before being played back to Fernandinho by Pimpao. Fernandinho took his time before picking a pass inside to Nilton. Nilton took on the whole defence, travelling the whole way round the area, from left to right, eventually making some space and slipping a ball into the goalmouth for Pimpao to slam home.

Campinense (0) Vasco (1)

Second Division

Brazilian goalkeepers have a reputation for being overly flamboyant to the point of eccentric and Tiago was no different. He certainly wasn’t the best shot stopper in the world, he wasn’t even the best keeper in our squad, but he was first choice nonetheless. He was first choice for the goals he provided. A free kick and penalty expert, he had scored 4 goals already this season, since his promotion to first choice replacing Prass.

The game against Campinense was a perfect example of why Tiago was in the side. We had the better of the play and looked to be in control, but we just couldn’t break down their 11 man defence. Deep in stoppage time, at the end of the game, a free kick was awarded 30 yards out from goal and up stepped our free scoring keeper to lift it up over the wall with a vicious dip down into the bottom corner. One point was turned into two and the only thing Tiago had to do all game, he did perfectly.

Vasco (1) Portuguesa (0)

Second Division

Every manager wishes that their team could go out and score 4 or 5 every match, give the fans something to cheer about and play blindingly good football. Very few managers ever get it that easy. Unfortunately for me, we were filling one of those categories, but falling short of another meant there was no chance of the third. Our football was excellent, a mixture of skill, determination, flair and grit. We fought for every ball and when we had the ball we usually created a chance on goal. The problem was that those chances weren’t getting converted and as such the supporters didn’t have their 4-0’s and 5-0’s to get excited about. However, it’s unusual for the amount of goals scored to have any bearing on the title and a 1-0 win brought as many points as a 5-0 win and three points each week was the name of the game.

The only goal of the game was slotted into the back of the net with a cool finish from Teixeira. Edu had picked up the ball on the left and played it inside to Fernandinho whose first time pass forward was picked up by Nilton. Nilton dragged the ball back across the centre of the pitch to Rafael, who in turn played it back to Fernandinho. The midfielder’s through ball was delightful, perfectly weighted and directed, for Teixeira to run onto to make his finish.

Vasco (2) Duque de Caxias (0)

Second Division

The game was over before the red mist set in, not ours, but theirs. De Caxias lost two players, Henrique and Andrezinho in the 65th and 88th minute respectively. We did well to keep our cool in the face of such intimidation, but my player’s temperament had never been called into question. The odd yellow here and there, one or two reds, but all in all my teams was performing like the professionals they were and focusing on the football and not the emotion.

The goals came from two of the seasons unlikely heroes, Vinicius heading in a Ramon corner and Tiago netting number five of the season from the spot. Vinicius’ performances were a particular highlight, he had popped up with vital goals, but he had also been going about his business in defence week in week out, never getting a mention, but always performing well. Not bad for a free transfer suggestion from my assistant, when I first took over the club.

Ipatinga (2) Vasco (3)

Second Division

What was I said about scoring 4 and 5 goals? Ignore it, give me 1-0 wins over 4-2 heart attacks, any day of the week. Ipatinga were struggling in the relegation zone, having scored only 16 goals all season and despite the win, it was a concern that a team like this could put two past our usually solid defence.

First blood went to us. Rafael’s shot deflected out to Teixeira on the right hand side, Teixeira side footed the ball back into the area for Rafael to finish at the second attempt. Their equaliser came from Matheus Lopes, getting on the end of a Magno corner, benefitting from a Vinicius slip. Vinicius made up for his slip with a headed goal from a Ramon corner, giving us the lead again, before a Tally’s own goal gave us a two goal advantage and 3-1 lead.

With only minutes to go, and the win in the bag, Ipatinga got their second, not a lifeline, but a consolation. Tallys slipping the ball round the back of the defence for Muller to run onto. Faced with Tiago, one on one, he slipped it round the keeper and into the bottom corner.

Figueirense (1) Vasco (2)

Second Division

Having started the month with a devastating loss, we now found ourselves top of the league and with a chance to go five points clear of our closest rivals, Fortaleza. If we managed to beat Figeirense we would be only three wins away from guaranteed promotion and four wins away from a title win. At the moment though, it was all pie in the sky and while we should be beating Figueirense, our cup defeat to them earlier in the season, was still fresh in the memory.

We managed to exorcise a few more demons with a win, thanks to two goals from, recently goal shy, Alan Kardec. His first was an exceptional effort, receiving the ball from Rafael, just outside the area and dribbling past four defenders before slamming the ball into the back of the net, clipping the post on the way in.

Figueirense gave us a scare with an equaliser from a Massari corner. Tiago misjudged the flight of the ball and it was easy pickings for a player of Jardel’s quality. However, Kardec’s second gave us a much needed, and anticipated, win. Edu’s ball down the line was picked up by Ramon, who took on the defenders in front of him and made it to the byline before floating in a perfectly judged ball for Kardec to rise up to and nod into the net..

With one month to go, we were on the brink, but there were tricky ties ahead and celebrations wouldn’t begin until the title was in the bag.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[b][i]| 1st   |       | Vasco               |       | 32    | 20    | 8     | 4     | 51    | 24    | +27   | 68    |[/b][/i] 
| 2nd   |       | Fortaleza           |       | 32    | 19    | 6     | 7     | 41    | 22    | +19   | 63    | 
| 3rd   |       | Bahia               |       | 32    | 18    | 7     | 7     | 39    | 18    | +21   | 61    | 
| 4th   |       | Ponte Preta         |       | 32    | 18    | 6     | 8     | 38    | 23    | +15   | 60    | 
| 5th   |       | São Caetano         |       | 32    | 16    | 9     | 7     | 51    | 30    | +21   | 57    | 
| 6th   |       | Paraná              |       | 32    | 16    | 8     | 8     | 31    | 22    | +9    | 56    | 
| 7th   |       | Portuguesa          |       | 31    | 16    | 7     | 8     | 37    | 24    | +13   | 55    | 
| 8th   |       | ABC                 |       | 32    | 15    | 5     | 12    | 40    | 36    | +4    | 50    | 
| 9th   |       | América (RN)        |       | 32    | 14    | 8     | 10    | 37    | 27    | +10   | 50    | 
| 10th  |       | Figueirense         |       | 32    | 12    | 10    | 10    | 34    | 28    | +6    | 46    | 
| 11th  |       | Guarani             |       | 32    | 12    | 8     | 12    | 23    | 28    | -5    | 44    | 
| 12th  |       | Bragantino          |       | 31    | 8     | 16    | 7     | 20    | 24    | -4    | 40    | 
| 13th  |       | Juventude           |       | 32    | 11    | 6     | 15    | 30    | 33    | -3    | 39    | 
| 14th  |       | Ceará               |       | 32    | 8     | 10    | 14    | 28    | 32    | -4    | 34    | 
| 15th  |       | Vila Nova (GO)      |       | 32    | 6     | 11    | 15    | 16    | 27    | -11   | 29    | 
| 16th  |       | Atlético Goianiense |       | 32    | 6     | 10    | 16    | 23    | 37    | -14   | 28    | 
| 17th  |       | Brasiliense         |       | 32    | 5     | 11    | 16    | 25    | 43    | -18   | 26    | 
| 18th  |       | Campinense          |       | 32    | 5     | 10    | 17    | 24    | 45    | -21   | 25    | 
| 19th  |       | Ipatinga            |       | 32    | 4     | 10    | 18    | 18    | 46    | -28   | 22    | 
| 20th  |       | Duque de Caxias     |       | 32    | 2     | 10    | 20    | 13    | 50    | -37   | 16    | 

Vasco (2) ABC (0)

Second Division

The final month of the season and we were in the driving seat. Our fate was in our hands. Vasco’s fans expected, the board expected, the media expected, the first division expected to welcome us next season. I never expected, but I always believed. A win against ABC the perfect start.

Fernandinho received the ball in the centre and played it out wide to Teixeira. Teixeira controlled it and drove forwards, down the line, turned inside and back again to the byline A mazy run that left me dizzy, never mind the defender. He dribbled past the defenders and back inside, into the area and curled into the far corner of the net. A wonderful individual goal from a player we had no chance of holding onto.

The second came from a Kardec header after good work down the left wing from Edu. The win continued our fine form and left us in good stead for the run in.

Brasilense (0) Vasco (1)

Second Division

Our good form continued, in less than emphatic style as we clinched yet another narrow victory. Narrow or not, three point sin the bag meant that another, cautious, step was taken towards our promotion, towards our title. Unfortunately, in the process, we were condemning Brasiliense to another defeat and the relegation candidates looked certain to go down. Thankfully they still had hope, but hope was all it was.

Carlos Antonion, a 19 year old from Rio, lives for Vasco. He loves the club and he has all the qualities to one day be a true hero for the club. A goal on his debut doesn’t harm his chances, a winning goal to boot. Tiago’s long free kick into the area was headed clear by Paulo Ricardo, but his teammate, Adrianinho, showed poor control and a heavy touch coupled with the luck of the roll, left Carlos Antonio with the goal at his mercy and plenty of time to drill it into the back of the net.

Vasco (2) Atletico Goianiense (1)

Second Division

Heavy legs and tired bodies meant that we were stumbling closer to our goal. Financial constrictions had meant that loans were cancelled, players released or sold and come the business end of the season we were short on the ground. Some of the lads had played every single game that they were available for, regardless of fatigue and that had worked, but cracks were starting to show as we struggled against teams we should be beating.

Goal number one came from the penalty spot and Tiago’s boot, the keeper adding to his impressive scoring record this season. Atletico equalised through a headed goal from Fernando after an Andrade corner. Promotion was confirmed when Fagner carried the ball down the line to Teixeira, who flighted a beautiful ball to Souza on the edge of the area who caught it perfectly with a right foot volley into the top right corner.

Promotion may have been confirmed, but it wasn’t our prize, a win in our next game would bring us everything we wanted, the cherry on top, the title.

Fortaleza (1) Vasco (0)

Second Division

The title is ours! Second division champions despite the loss to one of our challengers. The defeat and abject performance is ignored as fans dance in the streets, players dance along sidelines and the boardroom rub their hands together. This is what it’s all about, what it has always been about. Back where we belong and in three months time we won’t have to worry about playing front of tiny crowds anymore.

Fortaleza’s goal came from Renato. Bambam showed great acceleration and pace to get past Edu on the right and cutting past Vinicius into the box, before laying it back for the Fortaleza striker to side foot home.

The game petered out after that, both sides tired after a long, long season, but we all found the energy to celebrate when the final whistle was blown.

Vasco (3) Guarani (0)

Second Division

It’s celebration time, the title in the bag and the players with the chance to relax against a Guarani side that were guaranteed mid table obscurity. The difference in play, with the ability to relax, was apparent and the players seemed at ease, the job done and able to enjoy their football for the two remaining games. One or two were still out to impress visiting scouts, one or two hoping that others impressed visiting scouts so that money could be freed up and a new contract offered.

Tiago’s free kick from 35 yards, grazing the right hand post as it glided into the back of the net, was the pick of the goals, perhaps the pick of, a collection of fabulous free kicks he’s scored this season. Goal number two came from Kardec, a strong run, past two defenders and firing his shot under the keeper, after a perfect long ball forward from Vinicius. Fernando completed the rout just before the end of the game, getting his head to a Souza corner and guiding it past the keeper.

Portuguesa (0) Vasco (2)

Second Division

The season over, the triumph completed. We finish with the best goal scoring record and only two short of the best defensive record, four points ahead of Fortaleza. The jubilation of the Rio State final appearance and the disappointment in the Brazilian cup are feeling that have long since been forgotten as expectancy sets in for next season and our return to the top flight.

Kardec’s cross into a packed area wasn’t controlled properly and bounces around, after a series of half hearted clearances before Fernandinho swung his boot at it and found the top corner to give us the lead. Kardec laid on goal number two as well, a chip to the back post, having received the ball from a Pimpao throw, was converted by Teixeira at the back post.

[b][i]| 1st   | C     | Vasco               |       | 38    | 25    | 8     | 5     | 61    | 26    | +35   | 83    |[/b][/i] 
| 2nd   | P     | Fortaleza           |       | 38    | 24    | 7     | 7     | 52    | 24    | +28   | 79    | 
| 3rd   | P     | Bahia               |       | 38    | 22    | 9     | 7     | 49    | 24    | +25   | 75    | 
| 4th   | P     | Portuguesa          |       | 38    | 21    | 8     | 9     | 47    | 27    | +20   | 71    | 
| 5th   |       | Paraná              |       | 38    | 20    | 10    | 8     | 42    | 28    | +14   | 70    | 
| 6th   |       | São Caetano         |       | 38    | 19    | 12    | 7     | 59    | 33    | +26   | 69    | 
| 7th   |       | Ponte Preta         |       | 38    | 19    | 6     | 13    | 39    | 28    | +11   | 63    | 
| 8th   |       | América (RN)        |       | 38    | 16    | 11    | 11    | 44    | 33    | +11   | 59    | 
| 9th   |       | ABC                 |       | 38    | 17    | 7     | 14    | 47    | 43    | +4    | 58    | 
| 10th  |       | Guarani             |       | 38    | 15    | 9     | 14    | 29    | 35    | -6    | 54    | 
| 11th  |       | Figueirense         |       | 38    | 14    | 10    | 14    | 39    | 35    | +4    | 52    | 
| 12th  |       | Juventude           |       | 38    | 14    | 7     | 17    | 38    | 38    | 0     | 49    | 
| 13th  |       | Bragantino          |       | 38    | 8     | 19    | 11    | 21    | 30    | -9    | 43    | 
| 14th  |       | Ceará               |       | 38    | 9     | 13    | 16    | 36    | 42    | -6    | 40    | 
| 15th  |       | Atlético Goianiense |       | 38    | 8     | 13    | 17    | 30    | 42    | -12   | 37    | 
| 16th  |       | Vila Nova (GO)      |       | 38    | 8     | 11    | 19    | 23    | 37    | -14   | 35    | 
| 17th  | R     | Brasiliense         |       | 38    | 5     | 12    | 21    | 26    | 51    | -25   | 27    | 
| 18th  | R     | Campinense          |       | 38    | 5     | 11    | 22    | 26    | 54    | -28   | 26    | 
| 19th  | R     | Ipatinga            |       | 38    | 5     | 11    | 22    | 20    | 55    | -35   | 26    | 
| 20th  | R     | Duque de Caxias     |       | 38    | 3     | 12    | 23    | 17    | 60    | -43   | 21    | 

Due to a lost save, explained in the stories discussion thread, this will be the end of my Vasco story, for now. I might try again at some point, but I can’t commit to playing through a full season having already done so, never mind the possibility that I might not get promoted and would have to do it a third time.

A massive thank you to anyone who commented and I hope anyone who read it enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

For those interested the events afterwards (I had played through to the end of the Rio State in 2010), Teixeira moved to Shaktar, Kardec to Standard Liege and Fernando to Sao Paulo. The sales brought in enough money to give us a decent transfer budget for the following season, clear our debts and offer contracts to those players whose contract was due to expire.

Rio State 2010 was something to be proud of. Having lost three of our best players and spent only £275k, we managed to win Rio State Open, beating Flamengo in the final. This gave us a place in the Rio State Final against the winners of Rio State Close. We then went on to win Rio State Close as well, claiming the Rio State Title and could now be considered the best team in Rio, ahead of Fluminese and Flamengo.

Thanks once again and have a read if you haven’t yet.

Archived