Why did this happen?

Playing as Manchester City in the first season against Stade Rennais in the UEFA Cup. Was controlling the game very well and had created a couple of chances. However just when i thought the game would be won, a defensive error (which involved my defender heading the ball to my keeper only for the opposition striker to snatch the ball and score) allowed them to take the lead. Created a great chance at the other end almost right from the retake so i was not much worried about conceding the early goal. However this happened.

The opposition defense hoofs the ball straight to my fullback (Bridge).

th_24362_s_122_547lo.JPG

For no apparent reason, my central defender makes a diagonal run towards my fullback. His creativity was zero, offside trap was clicked...so he had no reason to make that run.

th_25285_2_122_519lo.JPG

That was mistake number 1. Instead of passing where my defender was, Bridge then passes behind him even though my CD was yet to complete his run.

th_25286_3_122_238lo.JPG

This allowed the opposition striker to snatch the ball and score a second goal

th_25291_4_122_128lo.JPG

As i have already said....creativity for my CD was 0 with offside option ticked. That meant my CD had no business of going where he went since it would have a) left a hole in my defense and b) broken the offside trap. Also passing was set at centre of mixed. Regarding attributes, Bridge has ratings of 18 for composure, 17 for anticipation, 13 for passing and 14 for decision...this means he is perfectly capable of making that simple pass to my defender. My central defender (Ignashevich) has decision 16 and positioning 16.

At the time of this game, i had played 21 matches, losing 6, winning 13 and drawing 2. And of those 6 matches lost...4 of them were due to hilarious defensive errors such as this one. One reason could be that Ignashevich is new to the team. However i can offer two counterpoints to that...one it was a simple straight forward pass...its not as if Bridge had played a one touch pass. He held up the ball...my CD went on his run...and then Bridge passed the ball behind him for the opposition striker to snatch it. Two...conceding that the pass was made since they had not gelled together (even though they had played at least 17 matches together), Ignashevich's instructions meant that he was supposed to stay where is was...

This is not a rant post...i am very interested in knowing why this has happened and why my players make silly mistakes which most of the time proves to be the deciding factor. I had checked the stats and his overall number of mistakes in 18 matches was just 4 while my other central defender (some guy called Miranda) had played 20 matches with 7 mistakes. In total...my opponents had scored 6 goals which can be clearly bracketed as due to defensive errors while another one i believe to be a defensive mistake but that was from a long throw in even though they were set to short. Have gotten irritated with that save and am in the processing of starting a new game (as Wolves this time) and want to avoid a similar fate this time around

For no apparent reason, my central defender makes a diagonal run towards my fullback. His creativity was zero, offside trap was clicked...so he had no reason to make that run.

Ignashevich's instructions meant that he was supposed to stay where is was...

Sorry, but here you are wrong. On the second screen you posted Bridge neither had an option to start an attack no safe option to pass. Actually, he has no passing option, but Ignashevich. Ignashevich run provided more safe passing option. His creative freedoom = 1 (and I guess quite defensive mentality) tells him that he should do what he did: play safe. If he stayed where he was, the pass could have been even more dangerous.

Off-side trap has nothing to do with the situation. First, your team is with the ball. Second, it's one of the DCs who sort of 'regulate" o command the Def line, not the FB or ball position.

That was mistake number 1. Instead of passing where my defender was, Bridge then passes behind him even though my CD was yet to complete his run. ...

This is the only mistake here. Let me guess: your FBs mentality is above normal and he is allowed to TTB? Adding the fact that Ignashevich does not speak English yet...

Really, in this situation one question is why your winger was hiding behind Leroy's back and so close to another player (ST? MC?) instead of hugging the line and providing an alternative passing option for Bridge? Another question is why Bridge held up the ball?

This is not a rant post...i am very interested in knowing why this has happened and why my players make silly mistakes which most of the time proves to be the deciding factor. I had checked the stats and his overall number of mistakes in 18 matches was just 4 while my other central defender (some guy called Miranda) had played 20 matches with 7 mistakes. In total...my opponents had scored 6 goals which can be clearly bracketed as due to defensive errors while another one i believe to be a defensive mistake but that was from a long throw in even though they were set to short. Have gotten irritated with that save and am in the processing of starting a new game (as Wolves this time) and want to avoid a similar fate this time around

1. Players make mistakes

2. No set of instructions will prevent players from making mistakes.

3. Players don't always do what you tell them to (Lack of options, composure, creative freedom, etc).

4. If in doubt see (1).

:cool:

The passing between unfamiliar teammates is a little strange in FM09, because IRL whilst you often see badly gelled teams messing up the final pass in an attacking manouevre, they don't mess up as often when passing it between each other at the back, where they are performing pretty simple passing.

That said, people have already explained why your assumptions were wrong and to that I would add that trying to play an offside trap with a defender who

1) is new to the club

2) doesn't speak English (I checked up on your CB)

is NEVER a good idea: your D-line ends up completely messed up. Leave offside trap off: so long as your D-line is pushed up then you'll still catch some offsides, but your players will actually be able to get familiar before they start trying to coordinate offsides - if you wait long enough, they'll actually be able to do it in the same language

I sympathise, because I bought a french RB (non-anglophone) who completely ruined the interaction of my D-line for a while - it's irritating, but you've got to let them bed in slowly.

Your defender has 20 influence as well - the effect of this attribute doesn't seem clear, but I know that a good defender with high influence helps set the offside trap properly, so a panicking and non-anglophone CB with high influence might be having the opposite effect, spreading disorder through your D (CONJECTURE)

Off-topic: I was going to compare your player to Titus Bramble, but then I remembered he's not so crap now that he's left the mags. Who's the premiership definition of "liability" these days?

Archived