Henry v RVN watch

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by They call me Henry:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bling:

I agree, but even with his sh*t ones he bagged more goals than Henry icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really?? How does that work out?

As far as i know, 30 >>>> 18...

or even, 30+2 >>> 18+4 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, because this thread wasnt based solely on the performances of the players in question at the Euro 2004 championships icon_rolleyes.gif

Whats next? Total career goals? Goals in the kiddie leagues? Number of sexual partners?

The basis of this thread was who would provide the bigger contribution to his nations cause at Euro 2004. Ruud won hands down.

Thank you and good night.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheDuke v2:

My point was to have proven yourself you have to make goals when it matters (knockout phases), not in group rounds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruud scored a massive ZERO goals last season

Henry > Ruud icon_cool.gif

p.s. your criteria suck ass, goals matter equally at all stages of the competition, it's mickey mouse football analysis to suggest otherwise.

In that case some topscorer of Latvia has prolly proven himself more than Henry icon_confused.gif

I was just commenting on whether or not he had proven himself and it has nothing to do with goals IMO. It's about how a player plays in big matches (eg. Zidane's goals vs England = great player material)

RVN is good at holding the ball up. The trouble against Portugal last night was that he'd hold it up and play it out to the wings but then:

a) Robben would fall over

or

b) Ruud was still running up the pitch and couldn't get in the 6 yard box in time.

And Wicom, Ruud has scored more goals in europe so icon_razz.gif Not to mention Henry has had more seasons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Uefa charges Van Nistelrooy

Virtual Replay: 3D animation of all the key moments from the match

Report: Portugal 2-1 Holland

Uefa has opened disciplinary action against Holland striker Ruud van Nistelrooy for insulting behaviour.

The charge relates to Van Nistelrooy confronting referee Anders Frisk after his country's Euro 2004 semi-final defeat to Portugal.

Uefa says its disciplinary committee will deal with the case on Friday.

The 28-year-old was unhappy at Frisk's performance and accused him of ruling "everything in favour of Portugal" and of being a "home whistler".

He added: "Every 50-50 situation went for them, but we cannot do anything about it.

"They had the better chances, it's tough losing like this but we had problems playing our own game."

I could wish for nothing better

Portugal captain Luis Figo

Portugal reaction

Van Nistelrooy admitted Portugal were good value for their half-time lead, given to them by Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo's header.

He said: "The 1-0 was deserved because we hardly showed our strength in attack.

"It was hard to get chances. It was hard to get into the game. I'm shattered."

Maniche put Portugal 2-0 up soon after the break, and Van Nistelrooy admitted: "In the second-half we played for all or nothing.

"We fought back to 2-1 but it didn't work out the way we wanted.

"They had the better chances but we gave everything and our supporters here and at home were great. It's a bitter pill.

Academy: Watch Ruud's finishing masterclass

"I'm really down but maybe we have to say that Portugal just played better in this match.

"All of us gave everything for the fans over here and at home.

"Reaching the semi-final is a good achievement but we came to reach the final."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

disgraceful icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Uefa charges Van Nistelrooy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

disgraceful icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd think he was an Arsenal player

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by They call me Henry:

Wha??! little or no support?!

Do the names Robben and Van der Meyde, ring any bell??

Henry didn't even have as good service from Zidane and/or Pires as Ruud van horse-face did from Robben!

Like i said before, Henry had absolutly nothing to prove during the Euro.

He's done it before at club AND international level.

There's nothing else to it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming you've not watched many of Holland's games then? If you had you'd have seen Ruud seriously isolated upfront. Compare that to Henry who not only had a strike partner to help shoulder the goalscoring burden and share the workload, but also the not unimpressive likes of Zizou and Bobby Pires to supply him.

And as SI said, if what you're saying is indeed Henry's attitude (and I don't believe it is), then he doesn't deserve ranking up there with the greats and never will do. I'd have thought he'd have an awful lot to prove coming into this tournament after his dismal performance in the last World Cup, n'est pas?

Truly great players perform whether they have something to prove or not.

And TheDuke v2 - you don't half talk some rubbish fella icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheDuke v2:

When did he do anything at club level icon_confused.gif I hope you don't mean topscorer in the league with the worst defences? Or you mean him scoring 2 hattricks in 2 seasons (Roma, Inter) and doing absolutely nothing else in both years in the CL?

As soon as defences employ any tactical intelligence and don't play on one line so Henry can exploit his speed you see him for what he really is... a good player, nothing more but nothing less either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey dude, you haven't got a fecking clue what you're talking about, do you??!!

Calling Henry a good player is a bit over the top. Go buy yourself Henry's first 100 goals for Arsenal DVD and dare to tell me he isn't a great player.

icon_mad.gif FFS!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Wha??! little or no support?!

Do the names Robben and Van der Meyde, ring any bell??

Henry didn't even have as good service from Zidane and/or Pires as Ruud van horse-face did from Robben!

Assuming you've not watched many of Holland's games then? If you had you'd have seen Ruud seriously isolated upfront. Compare that to Henry who not only had a strike partner to help shoulder the goalscoring burden and share the workload, but also the not unimpressive likes of Zizou and Bobby Pires to supply him.

And as SI said, if what you're saying is indeed Henry's attitude (and I don't believe it is), then he doesn't deserve ranking up there with the greats and never will do. I'd have thought he'd have an awful lot to prove coming into this tournament after his dismal performance in the last World Cup, n'est pas?

Truly great players perform whether they have something to prove or not.

And TheDuke v2 - you don't half talk some rubbish fella icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Appart from yesterday's game i've watched all of Holland's game in the competition. Ruud seemed upfront on his own but really, Holland were playing a 4-3-3 formation with Robben and Meyde as Forward/Wingers. I thought Robben did superbly to supply Ruud, in the box.

Henry may have had a striker partner to play with but Trezeguet's role has nothing to do with holding up the ball to then lay it off nicely to his partner.

As i'm sure you already know it, Trezeguet is very much like RvN... you provide him with balls in the box and he'll bag them in. But don't expect much more from him.

While i was very disapointed with Henry's performances overall, i certainly wasn't that impressed with Ruud's either.

He scored 4 goals, 2 more than his striker club rival; well done to him but neither were even near their best level.

And what i meant when i said that Henry didn't have anything to prove, was that he's already showed us what he's capable of doing at the highest level and while it would have been great to see him carry his Arsenal form for his country, the fact that he didn't do too well, certainly doesn't make him a worse player than before.

On this controversy: Can I suggest that most people participating in this are Arsenal and Man U fans rather than Holland and France fans? And that we really don't give a rat's arse how either of these players play for their country, as long as they do it for their club?

Any dissent? Thought not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juventino4Life:

Henry = I cannot do **** all when games matter most unless its the EPL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah because Totti, Del Piero and Vieri certainly showed they can!

Get your mind right, B!! icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey at least Del Piero and Vieri can claim to have done something when it mattered most, Del Piero was responsible for Juve winning the Intercontinental cup thanks to his great strike and Vieri has always performed for italy apart from this Euro, I dont recall Henry ever doing **** all for France or Arsenal (in the CL).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

basic premise very simple, use this thread to track both players progress and see which one is making the biggest impact on the tournament, should once and for all settle this age old debate icon14.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back to the very first post then:

Thierry Henry: QF, dead quiet, 2 goals

Ruud van Nistelrooy: SF, 4 goals

Case closed methinks.

Hall of Fame anyway icon_cool.gif

Archived