Another Harrowing Misadventure (Ages Challenge)

Faramir

A Tempest in a Teapot?

Harrow Hill may be the surprise of the decade as they made it into Conference South with their miraculous run at the end of last season, but the comments of their manager- James Heartwood- have stirred up as much controversy as their success stirred up admiration for the small club. Heartwood spoke frankly about his committment to youth for the future of his club and his comments rankled the veteran players to the point that none was willing to re-sign for the club as they move to Conference South play. Heartwood seemed nonplussed about the matter as he offered, "I respect their viewpoint, even if they don't respect mine. My observation is that the only way that we can make Harrow Hill a viable club in the coming year- and hopefully more if we can stay up- is to develop youth. Veterans are too costly for this club to afford and that is why I will follow this approach and intend to make it a success."

Heartwood sighed as he reread the article.

"They just don't see it the way I do. Time to try and make it work though."

His first call went to his long-time friend Bob Pierson. "Bob, I know they let you go after last season, but I have something that might interest you. Oh, I could offer you a scouting position without a doubt, but what I would rather do is have you as my Assistant Manager. Yes, I know you have little experience on the direct staff of a club- but I need your ability to evaluate players- it is going to be critical to the success of Harrow Hill. Certainly you would receive proper wages- more than you would as a scout. OK, that sounds fine- meet me tomorrow morning and I will have a contract for you."

"I still don't know about this Jim," said Pierson with a wavering voice.

"Look Bob. You saw the article. I *am* going to do it my way and a key to making this work will be evaluating the youngsters. I need your help to make that work- I have always respected your ability to see things in players that others miss."

"Ok, but you need to help me understand what you expect of me as your Assistant."

"I will give you all the help you need. Actually, despite my many detractors comments- we are going to need a full staff of coaches, physios and scouts to make this work. I won't skimp on that, even with our limited wage budget."

"Well, any help you can get me will be appreciated."

"We will need to do a *lot* of teaching to make this work. We will both need all that help to make it happen. I also need you to skim the freely available list- we need to sign some players before they are snapped up by other clubs. We don't have any players currently under contract."

"None?"

"None. So we need to get going and sign a squad up soon."

I was going to return to Harrow Hill with another story, but Bob's challenge suits Harrow Hill perfectly- I stuck mainly with youth when playing them the first time around and will just do the same this time. As before, Harrow Hill starts out with nothing- no staff, no players- but actually in the black this time (60K) and with a 7K transfer fund. The story style will be different this time too. FM2006 with Harrow Hill again edited into Conference South in place of Eastbourne Boro. A long road begun...- MD

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL maverick- I just chose them to be consistent with the club I removed in FM 05 icon_wink.gif

After a couple hours on the phone, Heartwood stretched tiredly.

"Almost there," he muttered to himself.

Absently, he flipped the folder of information to the other side of the table before picking up his cell phone once more.

"Bob? Yes, well I haven't been off the phone for awhile now. There will be a meeting tomorrow afternoon at Larksfield Road. All the staff are planning on being there- at least I have committments to that from everyone. We will do all the introductions there."

Heartwood stood up and the gathered group- men of a variety of ages, but all looking at home in the football surroundings- quieted and looked expectantly at their young leader.

"Thank you all for making this meeting on such short notice. I appreciate you will need more time to make personal arrangements, so this meeting will be brief. The only thing I want to accomplish today is to introduce you all to each other and lay out your areas of responsibilities," offered Heartwood a quiet, conversational tone.

"I warned all of you to some extent- some of you in more detail- what I am planning on doing with Harrow Hill. You can call it an experiment, you can call it madness, I don't much care. The thing I do care about is that you accept the approach and be willing to commit to working with me to accomplish things with this club. Here are the ground rules that I plan on adhering to- We will not have a player over the age of 25 on the club."

There was some murmuring, but it quickly subsided.

"I warned you that many will consider our approach radical. Nevertheless, that is want I want you to be willing to accept in your position here."

He paused and motioned around the room. "Now for the introductions. The reason why we have so many staff- even with the minimal funding for the club- is that I want each of you to concentrate on a specific aspect of our coaching- teaching with the many youngsters we will have. To that end, my right hand man will be Bob Pearson," Heartwood motioned at Pearson in the corner. "Bob will be handling the attacking training and will also be the Manager for the Reserves and Under-18 sides."

Bob nodded at Heartwood in deference.

"Over here are our three scouts- Rob Campkin, Spencer Field and Jamie Wallace." Each nodded in acknowledgement of their name. "Jamie will be our advance scout- scouting our opponents. Rob and Spencer will be combing England and the Isles for youngsters."

"At this table we have Allan Leighton, Simon Smith, Andy Gray and Peter Latchford. Allan will be handling the defense training. Simon is our keepers coach. Andy will training on set pieces. Peter will be handling the tactical training."

"Seated over here at this table is Dave Burgess, Stuart Bell, Ian Gray and Max Griggs. Dave will be handling the strength training. Stuart is in charge of the aerobic training. Ian will be working on the ball control training and Max is in charge of shooting."

"Against the wall over there are Mark Leather and Rob Harris, who are our physios. Their word is law on the condition of the players."

Griggs spoke up, his easy presence showing he was comfortable so far, "When do we start training players?"

Heartwood laughed lightly, "As soon as we have some. It will likely start with a trickle coming in- maybe a few as early as this afternoon. What I want you ready to do is have a plan for when they start arriving. We will work out how to coordinate trainings as we need to.

Heartwood was seated at a table with Campkin, Field and Wallace.

"Rob and Spencer- you are going to be very busy for a good long while."

The pair looked at each other with an air of resigned humour. Campkin offered, "I think we realized that going in Jim."

"Here are your marching orders. First, give me any names of youngsters- I mean the 15, 16, 17 year olds- that you have a decent level of knowledge about. Please let me know of any of them you think are worthy of signing. We can't afford to watch other clubs sign up any promising youngsters who might be kicking about and happy to sign with us if we offer first."

The pair nodded in agreement.

"Next. I want you to eyeball each Premier and Championship club Under-18 side. I know what a task that will be- but I consider it of key importance to get a good look at all those clubs' youth players. If any of them are released- I want to know. With no youth program of our own- we will need to build up and this is the best way I know how to get freely available players that can help us."

Field spoke up, "You want that done first? Or do you want general scouting first?"

Heartwood grinned, "Both. Don't worry, I know it is a daunting task, but I need you two to plug away at it."

Campkin asked, "Any general limitations on who to give you reports on?"

"Only one. I want players who are 22 or younger only- again with the emphasis on the 15-18 year olds that might be available."

"The first signings will be arriving today Bob, I wanted to go over them with you."

"Ok, who is signing on the dotted line for us?"

"The first few are Darren Gwyther, Ashley Carew, Craig Farr, Pat Lynott and Samuel Okikioulu."

"I remember seeing all of them."

"They were the happiest to have any kind of contract offer."

"Darren is a striker, right?"

Heartwood nodded, "Darren is a 20 year old who has been out of football several years. He was overjoyed to get a chance to come back and play. Ashley is a 19 year old who was released after several seasons in the Gillingham youth program."

Pearson absently stroked his chin, "I remember Craig Farr. He was a keeper I liked a lot when he was coming up through the Swindon youth program- he must be 21 now."

Heartwood shook his head in agreement. "Pat is a 21 year old DMC last played for Wycombe a few seasons ago- both he and Samuel were others who were really happy to get any contract offer."

Pearson stopped him, "Now wait. Isn't Samuel older- over 25?"

"No, he is 23 now. He will turn 24 during the season."

"And?"

"I signed him to a one-year contract Bob. I just think we need a physical center back and he fits the bill. Besides, he and I both agreed that if there was any interest at all from a bigger side for him during the season- I would consider letting him move."

"Rob and Spencer gave me their lists and I worked late into last night. I have agreements with several youngsters and they are due in today Bob."

"Can you give me a lowdown on them?" asked Pearson.

"As much as what Rob and Spencer gave me. Misiu Mlynowski is a 16 year old striker who was released from the Portsmouth youth program. Robert Burns is a 17 year old left winger who hadn't signed a professional contract with anyone. Danny Smith is a 17 year old leftback who was released from the Liverpool youth program. Jon French is a 16 year old striker who came out of the York youth program. Roger Charles is a 16 year old midfielder who hadn't signed a professional contract before. Joe Foote is a 16 year old midfielder who hadn't signed a professional contract."

Pearson chuckled, "Him I remember."

"Who?"

"Joe Foote. I remember they were calling him 'Bigfoot'. He is one of the biggest midfielders I have seen at his age and still has a bit of pace and speed despite his large frame."

Heartwood laughed along with Pearson, "Last is a 15 year old winger- Simon Varty. He comes from the Carlisle youth program."

"I recall scouting him as a 14 year old. He has a pretty nice balance of skills for how young he is."

"Obviously, he won't be seeing any Senior time until he turns 16, but I like his chances of being a future contributor for us."

Thank you robterrace- your kind comments are appreciated icon_smile.gif Glad to have you along on the journey

"I finally have some friendlies set up Bob."

"Who did you managed to work things out with?"

"Welsh side Buckley is first at Larksfield road on July 23rd. Then we face Bamber Bridge at Irongate on the 27th. Cinderford comes here on the 30th. Welsh side Bridgend arrives here on August 3rd and we finish with Welsh side Caerleon on the 6th."

"At least we will have a full week after that last one before we begin Conference South play."

"Rob and Spencer gave me a quick report on several other promising youngsters. I managed to sign another batch that will be here tomorrow."

Pearson looked up from his notebook, "Preview, please?"

"Anthony Millerick is a 16 year old defensive mid who was released by Basingstoke. Nick Muir is a 16 year old midfielder who was just released by Gillingham. Cory Johnson is a 17 year old striker who signed his first pro contract with us. Michael Johnston is a 17 year old center defender who also signed his first pro contract with us. Matt Hill is a versatile center mid/defender who was released from the Sheffield Wednesday youth program. Nicky Hawkins is another versatile center mid/defender- from the Nottingham Forest youth program. Jonathan Harris is a 16 year old left winger from out of the Exeter youth program. Scott Harber is a 16 year old center mid from the Portsmouth youth program and Peter Sutton is a 16 year old striker who last played a couple years ago for Stourport."

"A lot of youngsters there. I hope we have a couple diamonds in there."

Heartwood laughed, "I wouldn't count on it Bob. I am mostly worried about having enough bodies for now. I am aiming for about a 30 man squad that should still be well under our weekly budget of 3,800/week."

"That should do it for the initial signing group," murmured James Heartwood to Bob Pearson.

"No more after these?"

"I didn't say that," grinned Heartwood. "I just meant we can slow down the frenetic signing pace after these and concentrate on more quality. We can take longer to scout and rescout players after these."

"Well, tell me who these new additions might be."

"Sean Coburn is probably the biggest addition. I can easily see him as our Captain. He is a 21 year old right winger with a solid skill set and is reentering football after last playing for Southend several seasons ago. Another key addition is Billy Nott."

"Nott I know," remarked Pearson. "I scouted him a lot when he was with Arsenal. I wonder why they didn't keep him?"

"I don't really care why they didn't," smiled Heartwood. "I just like the fact we were able to get a good contract with him- he is a likely midfield starter for us. At age 18, he could be with us for a good long while. Also signing with us are a pair of keepers- Paul Catley and Alex Hards. Catley signed his first pro contract with us and Rob thought he had impressive potential for a 17 year old. Likewise, Spencer though Alex was a very promising 19 year old and he comes out of the Portsmouth youth program."

"So we have a full complement of three keepers now?"

"Yes. Also the last three additions are 21 year old forward Robert Dickinson from the Ipswich youth effort- I think he will be a starter up front for us- Steven Webb, a 20 year old rightback/rightwing who comes from the Nottingham Forest youth program and David Carns a 20 year old rightback/center defense player who hadn't ever signed a professional contract before this."

"Sorry Jim, but this seems a pretty motley collection to begin the season with."

"I have to admit you're right Bob, but this is what we have. We need to figure out how to get enough good results to avoid relegation."

"A couple more signings before we start the season Bob," stated Heartwood.

"Hmm?"

"Jamie Chandler is a 20 year old leftback who signed his first pro contract with us and Lewis Tozer is a 20 year old DC who had been out of football last season, but came through the Leicester youth program.

"How many do we have under contract now?"

"30, and we managed to do that and still remain about 1,000/week under to Board's weekly wage budget."

"That's good for now at least, but we may still want to add players..."

"True and we may well end up over that budget during the season- but we are at a good starting point for the moment."

Buckley Dumps Harrow Hill

Harrow Hill's first friendly yielded little to be cheery about as they were easily handled by Welsh side Buckley in a 2-0 final at Larksfield Road. Despite the loss, Harrow Hill manager James Heartwood remained upbeat, "There were signs of improvement. Still, you have to give this club time to gel, we just haven't been together very long."

Harrow Hill Beats Bamber Bridge

Harrow Hill looked much improved as they won their road friendly over Bamber Bridge at Irongate. Robert Dickinson showed flashes of promising play and scored a goal. Bamber Bridge pushed in an own-goal in the second half to help ensure a Harrow Hill win.

Harrow Hill Defeats Local Rival

Harrow Hill used a brace from Robert Dickinson in the first half to help see off local rival Cinderford. Improving defensive play appeared to be a key component of the win.

Brigend Broken

Harrow Hill fought back from an early deficit to defeat Welsh side Bridgend 2-1 at Larksfield Road. Robert Dickinson evened the match in the first half after the visitors gained the early lead. JoBn French dumped a superb cross from Cory Johnson in for the match winner in the second half.

Thank you sherm- your kind words are appreciated icon_smile.gif

Harrow Hill Catches Caerleon

Harrow Hill completed their slate of friendlies with a 2-0 win over Welsh side Caerleon at Larksfield Road. Robert Dickinson, who appears to have a starting position now locked up, scored a pair of goals in the first half to help key the Harrow Hill win. Manager James Heartwood counted himself pleased with the result, but noted, "I am more happy with the fact that we have made it through without any major injuries- than particularly worrying about results."

Heartwood sighed, "It appears I spoke to soon- when I talked about no injuries in the press."

Pearson shrugged, "Injuries are a part of the game. Paul Catley should be out a month or two with his broken finger. Danny Smith should only be out about a week. Joe Foote will miss a month or so because of his concussion."

"Catley's loss is the most troubling. With both he and Alex Hards out with injury- there is only Craig Farr healthy enough to start in goal."

"What are you going to do about the Reserve side- as far as who moves down?"

"I will move everyone down who I don't plan on using right away on the Senior side- that includes all of the 15/16 year olds."

"Who will be our starting lineup in our trip to Lewes to open the season?"

"Farr in goal. Backline will be Chandler- Tozer- Okikiolu- Webb. Midfield will be Burns- Lynott- Nott- Coburn. Up front will be Gwyther and Dickinson."

"That sounds good to me, compared to what I have seen in the friendlies."

"Another new arrival today Bob," mentioned Heartwood.

"Who might that be?"

"18 year old center defender Eddie Pope. He signed on with us after being released by Port Vale."

"Isn't he very slow?"

"Yes- that was my one concern about him. Still, he seems to have the presence and awareness to be an adequate defender for us."

Harrow Hills Battles to Draw

Harrow Hill began their Conference South season with a determined defensive showing as they battled favored Lewes to a scoreless draw at The Dripping Pan. Lewes looked much the better side in the first half, but Hill keeper Craig Farr performed brilliantly in tipping a shots from Jean-Michel Sigere and Mo Harkin over the bar. The second half brought more life from the Hill offense and Robert Dickinson was close early on before Darren Gwyther missed a sitter. Lewes keeper Aaron France made the save of the match when he somehow snared a rising shot unleashed by Billy Nott from just inside the edge of the area. The result was a fair one to both sides, though Lewes may feel more aggrieved to have let good chances slip away. Hill's Jamie Chandler was selected for MOM honours.

"A worthy start, wouldn't you say," offered a tired James Heartwood.

"Quite. Still, we almost took it and it would have been nicer yet to start with a win," answered Pearson.

Harrow Hill Humbles Hayes

Hayes may have been heavily favored coming into their visit to Larksfield Road, but it was clear who the better club was today. The lone marker in the match came late in the first half as Jamie Chandler was alert and snapped a shot past Kevin Davies after a muddle in front of Davies on a corner kick. Hayes managed the first good chance early in the half, but Craig Farr parried a low blast from Michael Dean past the far post. Harrow Hill went close midway through the half, but Davies saw Darren Gwyther's shot skim the bar. Hill had the early pressure in the second half with Billy Nott going close, only to see his ball skitter past the far post. The groans told the tale when Pat Lynott was sent to an early bath after his 2nd yellow card at 73 minutes. The loss of Lynott didn't seem to affect Hill much as they continued to pounce on attacking opportunities and only sharp work from Davies kept Hayes close. Hayes seemed very deflated when Kevin Warner also drew a 2nd yellow card in the waning moments and Hill closed out the clean sheet for Farr in their deserved 1-0 win.

"That was some fine play from our young squad," stated Pearson admiringly.

"Especially after Pat Lynott was sent off. Ash Carew was animated out there and his fluid physical play really helped us keep the pressure on them," answered Heartwood.

"We are off to a good start in ECS play. I did not think we would get our first win quite this quickly."

"Me either. It is a big relief to have that one in the column for us."

"There will be another new addition for you tomorrow Bob," said Heartwood with his voice sounding distant on the phone.

"Who did you sign now?"

"Mark Russell a 19 year old striker that Tottenham just released."

"Good, we needed the depth up front."

"He is well out of shape though- it may take some time to round him back into playing shape."

"Ok, will keep that in mind when he arrives tomorrow morning."

"Good news Bob. Leyton Orient agreed to our loan request."

"That's great. When is he joining us?"

"He is supposed to be here this afternoon. He was driving up as soon as they agreed."

Wallis Joins the Hill

Harrow Hill today announced they had reached an agreement with Leyton Orient to loan winger/forward Scott Wallis for three months. Wallis, known for his pace, was pleased to come to a club where he might earn some Senior playing time.

Dorchester Dealt Blow by Hill

Harrow Hill continued to impress the doubting pundits as they made the most of their opportunities and again used a superior defensive performance to beat Dorchester 2-0 at Avenue Stadium. Hill looked best in the early going of the match, but weren't generating scoring chances out of their possessions. Hill took the lead on a mishit header by Ash Carew as he deflected a corner from Sean Coburn past Craig Bradshaw midway through the first half. Bradshaw was very sharp in the closing moments of the half as Hill threatened but could not get a second goal. Dorchester found themselves in trouble after key defender Gary Middleton earned his 2nd yellow card at 61 minutes. Hill kept control of the possession and were finally rewarded with a second 'excuse me' goal when a centering pass from Jamie Chandler sailed past Bradshaw as he never saw the ball coming due to the traffic in the area. With a 2-0 lead and a man advantage, Hill played keepaway for the rest of the match in helping Craig Farr earn another clean sheet.

"Another surprising effort. The boys are adapting to our style of play much quicker than I had hoped," stated a pleased Heartwood.

"I don't know that we were very efficient today offensively- it was more a pinch of luck on both goals," disagreed Pearson.

Heartwood tilted his head, "I think we are both correct Bob. I saw a lot of what I was hoping to see offensively, even if our goals were not exactly prime examples of proper execution."

Pearson chuckled, "In any case, the result was fine with both of us."

Hill Tames Mare

Harrow Hill continued to surprise unbelievers as they played a slashing attacking match and defeated Weston-Super-Mere 3-0 at Larksfield Road. After stellar performances in the Hill friendlies, the faithful had been waiting on Robert Dickinson to break out in the regular season. Today was the day and his first goal for Hill was truly a thing of beauty. Darren Gwyther timed his pass perfectly to the middle as Dickinson blazed past Ritchie Sutton. Dickinson then made a dazzling move on keeper Ryan Northmore before firing his shot into the goal to a thunderous ovation from the Larksfield crowd. Hill moved the ball crisply all match and had the WSM backline in trouble several times- only to fail on their finishing. Dickinson made it a brace and a 2-0 Hill halftime lead when he blistered a 20 yard blast past Northmore on a corner. Hill never wavered as they came out in the second half and twisted the vise tighter on WSM, not allowing them space on any portion of the pitch. Dickinson repaid Gwyther for his help with a perfectly laid off ball that Gwyther drilled off the inside of the left upright for his 1st goal. With the 3-0 lead in hand, Hill seemed very content to tone down the match and played possession football the rest of the way as Craig Farr chalked up another clean sheet.

"We do seem to be off on an improbable start," grinned Heartwood.

"I don't know that I have ever been around a club that played this well as a unit- this quickly after starting together."

"It is a treat to watch them, isn't it?"

Pearson smiled, "I really liked the way that Nicky Hawkins and David Carns stepped right into the backline today and blended perfectly in their debuts."

"Another signing for you to work with Bob," commented Heartwood.

"Now wait, didn't you tell me you weren't planning on signing anymore?"

"I wasn't planning on it," admitted Heartwood, "but he was too good to pass up signing."

Harrow Hill Hires Hitchen

Harrow Hill today announced the signing on free transfer of 18 year old center defender Adam Hitchen. Hitchen had come up through the Liverpool youth program as a highly rated youngster, but had a falling out with them and was released in July. Hitchen stated that he was, "Pleased to get a chance to come to a club where he might work his way into the lineup." Hill manager James Heartwood indicated that Hitchen would likely work his way into their defensive rotation at some point in the season.

Hill Harms Havant & W

The improbable start to Harrow Hill's campaign continued as they rallied after rewarding the home side with an own-goal in the early going to roar back for a 4-1 win. It was an inauspicious start for Hill as Pat Lynott slotted a backpass that Craig Farr never saw- until too late- and it slipped inside the left post to give Havant & W a lead in the opening moments of the first half. Hill played with verve, but the home side backline was covering nicely and it appeared they had Hill stymied heading into halftime. The opportunistic play of Hill showed up well into first half injury time as Robert Dickinson roared in to pick up a mishit backpass from Neil Champion. Dickinson then slipped his shot past Colin Matthews for a dramatic equalizer that sent Hill into the dressing room with an improved attitude. Hill picked up the pace in the second half and their pressure was telling as the Havant & W defense began cracking. It took until late in the half before Hill could gather the fruits as Robert Burns scored a bit of a fluke goal when his awkward cross went over Matthews and into the net for his 1st goal at Hill. Ash Carew took over the match from that point with a superbly timed header that he flicked past Matthews. Carew made it a brace when Sean Coburn laid the ball off nicely for him and he blistered it in to make the final scoreline 4-1.

"This is scary Jim," observed Pearson shaking his head as they looked at the statistics from the match.

"Enjoy it while you can Bob, it won't always be this way," stated a pleased Heartwood.

"I did feel bad for Craig Farr though- the first goal he gives up all season is an own-goal."

"A bit ironic that is. Still you noticed Craig didn't get flustered at all after the goal."

Hill Crushes Carshalton

A few more believers may show up on Harrow Hill's tally sheets after they played a determined match in thumping visiting Carshalton 3-0. The quickness of Hill was obviously a factor in the flustered first half play of the visitors as they had many problems with hurried passing. Hill was unable to capitalize in the early going as they experienced the same problems. Hill struck for the lead late in the first half when a counterattack yielded a blistering shot from Billy Nott. Stuart Searle was able to parry Nott's blast, but Robert Dickinson was lurking in the right spot to knock the rebound into the net. Hill continued their pressure on the visitors to open the second half and Robert Burns added his 2nd 'excuse me' goal in as many matches as another cross slipped in to catch the inside of the right post. Hill reverted to a more conservative approach with the two goal lead and Carshalton couldn't solve the clingy defense. Nott then put the match away for Hill when he converted a penalty kick past Searle after Aaron Barnett was whistled for a handball in the area in the waning moments of the match.

"Can we bottle some of this- to save for later in the season?" asked Pearson with a chuckle.

"I think we have caught lightning in a bottle up to this point," observed Heartwood. "I've no idea if we can keep it there, but right now it seems to be working a charm."

Kings Lynn Smites Harrow Hill

It was clear from the opening whistle that the veteran Kings Lynn side meant to make Harrow Hill pay for their mistakes- and mistakes the Hill backline made. In the opening minute of play Sam McMahon ghosted into the six yard box unmarked and deflected a cross from Ryan Ashington past Paul Catley. Matt O'Halloran scored a similar goal midway through the first half. It was clear to Hill manager James Heartwood that Catley was not fully recovered from his injury and Heartwood brought on Alex Hards to replace the struggling youngster. Hill showed flashes of their offense in this match, despite playing with no regular first line players in this match, but they didn't execute well enough to unduly trouble Aaron Osbourne. Kings Lynn opened the second half with Dale Watkins driving in a rebound after Ashington crashed a shot off the crossbar. Hill never found a way to stretch the twine in the net and Kings Lynn will move on in FA Cup competition as they win this 2nd round qualifying match.

"Well, we have some work to do on the backline- and the goal," stated Heartwood.

"They steadied down in the second half, but it surely wasn't a very good defensive effort," replied Pearson.

"There were still some good things to take away from the match. I thought we did an Ok job of moving the football up the pitch."

"True, but our execution anywhere around their goal was somewhat awful for the most part."

Hill Mars Maidenhead

Harrow Hill continued their fine play in Conference South by rebounding from their disappointing FA Cup effort with a 2-0 road win over Maidenhead. Both sides were missing closely in the opening stages of the match with Marc Whiteman missing a sitter for the home side and Darren Gwyther missing an easy chance for Hill. The flowing play as the two sides took turns attacking was spectacular, though neither seemed able to capitalize in close. Hill struck for the lead in first half injury time as Robert Burns sent in a beautiful cross from the left sideline and Robert Dickinson made a superb flick-on past Nick Hart for his 5th goal of the season. Hill turned up the pressure to open the second half and were rewarded when Billy Nott slipped a pass to Dickinson. Dickinson burst past two converging defenders and snapped his shot past Hart to make it a brace. Hill backed off and played very defensively after taking the two goal lead and Maidenhead came close to making them pay for that stance, but Stephen Hughes and Robert Traynor both missed just over the net on wonderful chances. Craig Farr nailed down another clean sheet with a pretty save against Whiteman in the closing moments of the match to keep the final score 2-0.

"Another great effort for us. Dickinson was on fire today," commented Bob Pearson.

"Dickinson has turned out to be a much better sniper around the net than I thought when we originally scouted and signed him," stated James Heartwood.

"His finishing and our defensive effort look like a good combination."

Hill Harrows Histon

The surprise of Conference South- Harrow Hill- continued to defy the pundits as they used the lightning attacks of Robert Dickinson to help roll over struggling Histon 3-0 at Larksfield Road. Dickinson's elusiveness found him splitting the defense and running onto a through ball from Billy Nott before decisively finishing the chance off with a rocket shot past Lance Key. Dickinson then made it two goals in the space of six minutes as Robert Burns put a pretty pass on his foot and he took it around Key to score. It was a hat-trick by midpoint in the first half as Hill skipper Sean Coburn hooked a curling pass beyond the Histon backline and Dickinson ran it down before firing a sharp angled shot past Key. That was all the fireworks needed by Hill as they clamped down on their visitors and only yielded 3 more shots the entire match. Dickinson could well have had 5 goals in the first half, but for a pair of good saves by Key. Both sides saw redcards in the second half as Mark Burrows was sent off for the visitors, while Scott Wallis earned a redcard for a two-footed tackle from behind. Craig Farr earned another clean sheet in the 3-0 win.

"He is such a good finisher around the net," admired Pearson as he and Heartwood watched the replays of the goals.

"Also has enough pace to bust backlines at this level of play."

"He told me he was having the time of his life this year- after not playing senior ball at all before this."

"Well, we needed the depth Bob. Besides Sean Coburn, we didn't really have another player that is suited to rightwing on the squad," said Heartwood.

"I am not denying he is a good addition to the club. It's just he has somewhat of a less than steller reputation elswhere."

"He is going to help us- I am sure of that. He also adds depth at forward since he can play there too. I have some other good news too."

"What's that?"

"I signed Robert Dickinson to a new 4-year contract."

"That's great! On the not as good news side- Wallis was given a two-match suspension."

Hill Signs Samuel

Harrow Hill today announced that they had signed 18 year old forward Aaron Samuel to a contract. Reportedly Samuel agreed to a three year deal at wages that were very moderate. Samuel had come through the Arsenal youth program, but was released from there this summer.

Hill Battles to Draw

In a match that was filled with many chances for both sides, Harrow Hill and Yeading battled to a scoreless draw at The Warren. The first half was much more controlled in play than a wide open second half. Hill was left rueing the penalty kick by captain Sean Coburn as Gavin Kelly saved it midway through the second half. Kelly was deserving of the MOM honours he received as he made several other good saves in the match. Yeading was left wondering what would have been as Craig Farr stopped Chris Chase when Chase was all alone on the doorstep late in the match. The result was a fair one for both sides. Hill was dealt a blow when Robert Dickinson had to leave the match at halftime with a minor injury.

"Anything major wrong with Robert Dickinson?"

Pearson shook his head, "Trainers think he can be ready for training on Monday."

"That's good news. I have to admit our crop of forwards- the ones we initially signed- is a bit underwhelming- other than Robert."

"That sums it up nicely. Are you looking for help there?"

"Yes, but nothing concrete yet."

Hill 'Carews' Past Welling

In a match they dominated from start to finish, it still took late heroics by Harrow Hill to edge a stubborn Welling at Larksfield Road. The match winning goal came at 85 minutes when Pat Lynott, on for slightly injured Billy Nott, stepped up and intercepted a clearing pass. Lynott's short pass picked out Mark Russell in the area. Russell, instead of wheeling and shooting, sent a short cross for just arriving Ash Carew. Carew, who had slipped into the six yard box unmarked, had an easy time deflecting the ball inside the near left post. Carew was active the entire match and his verve in the midfield was a key reason that the Welling attack was bottled up most of the match and also why Carew earned MOM honours. Hill outshot their visitors 17-1 for the match, but failed on several other chances to boost the score.

"Whew. I thought we were going to have all that work and only a scoreless draw to show for it," muttered Heartwood.

"A lot of things went right today. We may not have scored a lot, but we gave them no space at all on any part of the pitch."

"I did like Aaron Samuel's debut. It is good to have cover behind Coburn for now.

Heartwood called into Pearson, "Three more youngsters will be arriving tomorrow. All were free signings."

Pearson nodded, "Tell me about them."

"Tom Byrne is a 19 year old striker who was released from the Southend youth program. He is left footed."

"That's good- nice to have at least one left footed forward."

"The other two are nominally backline players."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, David Jackson is a very versatile 19 year old. He can play virtually any spot on the left side of the pitch and should be one of our gameday subs. Signing with us was his first professional contract. Also joining us is very promising 17 year old rightback Marcus Dydyna. He was released from Prestwich early this season."

"Might want to watch the signings now. We don't need any more backline players."

"Good point."

Hill Bumps Basingstoke

In a wild free-for-all football match, anything can- and will- happen. That was the case today as Harrow Hill came back from twice being a goal down to score a dramatic win on an unusual goal. Basingstoke struck first in the first half when Ian Lawson outleapt Lewis Tozer and flicked a header past Alex Hards- who was making his first start in net for Hill. It took Hill awhile to answer it, but when Robert Dickinson scored the equalizer it was to a thunderous ovation from the Larksfield fans. Many spectators and press were heard to say it was one of the finest goals they had seen this year. On the play, Dickinson had picked up a throw-in on the left side. He immediately wheeled and moved out and around the outer corner of the six-yard box and then blasted a shot off the inside of the left post past Rob Bullivant. The match stayed at 1-1 until early in the second half when Adam Chambers slipped the marking of Jamie Chandler and put a strong header past Hards on a long cross from Neville Stamp. Hill hit back quickly to even the match as Sean Coburn struck a swerving 25 yard free kick past Bullivant into the right corner of the net. The match winner came midway through the second half. Bullivant was trying to send a pass up the center to defender James Taylor. The pass was much too hard and Taylor couldn't control it. Dickinson never hesitated as he just blasted away a pretty 45 yarder into the net over the retreating Bullivant. The goal seemed to diminish the spirit Basingstoke had shown and Hill was able to finish out a hard earned 3-2 win.

"I don't know that I have ever seen a player finish with a brace of more dramatic- or unusual goals," said Pearson admiringly.

Heartwood chuckled, "Me either, but I have to say I was glad that last one got in."

"The backline didn't seem as organized as when Craig Farr is back in goal."

"I noticed that too. Of course Alex is younger and doesn't yet have the communication skills he should. I think more training in that regard will help."

"I will talk to Simon (Smith) about it."

Eastleigh Edge Hill

Eastleigh found a way to hand Harrow Hill their first loss in Conference South play as they edged the visitors 1-0 in a match where they were outplayed for much of the second half. An early free kick by Ryan Ashford turned costly for Hill as he drilled his 20 yard shot past Craig Farr inside the right post. Hill fought back and had excellent chances to even things in both the remainder of the first half and second half, but Mark Hampshire had their number in the Eastleigh net. Hampshire made brilliant saves against Robert Dickinson and Joe Foote in preserving the clean sheet, but the chance of the match saw Darren Gwyther miss an open net from 40 yards after he intercepted a backpass and caught Hampshire out of position. The choice of Nicky Hawkins for MOM honours over Hampshire drew a chorus of disgruntled chants from the crowd at Ten Acres.

"Darren Gwyther's miss was agonizing," said a disappointed Pearson.

"Aye. I thought we had them on that one. He did so well to step up and take the pass and then missed the net by a good 10 yards."

"Marcus Dydyna looked pretty well in his debut."

"I thought so too. He was very composed. It was just one of those matches where you run into a keeper that has your number. Today our number was up."

Kiddie Corps Heads Harrow Win

The starting lineup for Harrow Hill featured no fewer than four 16 year olds making their professional debut as they hosted Heybridge in an FA Trophy Cup 2nd Qualifier at Larksfield Road. Making their debuts were Peter Sutton, Simon Varty, Scott Harber and Roger Charles. Also making his debut was Eddie Booth on the Hill backline. The early going featured frenetic pace from both sides, but little display of technical execution. Hill dodged a couple of early bullets as both Mark Rasmussen and Kevin Budge shot wide on good chances. Paul Catley made a dazzling save on Rasmussen as he cruised in alone after a botched corner on Hill's part. Hill's best chance in the first half saw Sutton drive a shot directly at Kingsley Banks. Hill seemed to gain momentum early in the second half as they increased pressure on the visiting side. Banks saved his side midway through with a terrific save on Mark Russell, on for an exhausted Sutton, after he beat the Heybridge backline down the pitch on a counterattack. The lone goal in the match came when Tom Byrne skinned defender Mark Pollard and drilled a shot past Banks. Hill had to survive a late redcard to Booth, but held on for a satisfying 1-0 win.

"A good effort by the youngsters," observed Heartwood.

"They really did step in the second half. I thought they played 'nervous' in the first half- especially Simon Varty as he wasted several short passes."

"Tom Byrne's goal was one of those that indicate a 'nose for the net'- he was in just the right spot to step up and skin Pollard."

"It was a very nice goal- one he can treasure as his 1st one professionally."

Hill Calms Cambridge City

Harrow Hill returned to their winning ways in Conference South play with a strong 3-1 win over Cambridge City at Larksfield Road. Darren Gwyther missed his chance in Hill's lost to Eastleigh, but he picked up a poor throw-in by Richard Scott and drilled a shot inside the far right post to give Hill the early edge in the match. Gwyther then made it a brace after a scorching pass from Sean Coburn and a rocket shot past Ricky Millard. Hill moved ahead 3-0 in the second half when Lee Chaffey bobbled a loose ball and Robert Dickinson swooped past him and caught Millard slightly out of position as he launched a well placed shot inside the right post. Hill was forced to bring on Alex Hards for a slightly injured Craig Farr and Hards lost the clean sheet when Paul Booth outraced two defenders to run down a ball on the right and then slipped his shot into the goal. Hill closed out with a more determined defensive effort after Booth's goal to close out the 3-1 win.

"It was nice to see Darren Gwyther come right back with that 2nd goal," said Pearson.

"I was afraid that miss against Eastleigh was going to bother him awhile. Instead it only seemed to make him more determined," replied Heartwood.

"Good news that Craig Farr wasn't really hurt that bad. I would hate to lose him for an extended stretch."

"Just to be safe though, Alex Hards will start against Yate in our FA Trophy 3rd round match."

Yate Brooms Hill

Yate used an early goal and a strong defensive effort to frustrate another fine effort from Hill's kiddie corps as they edged Hill 1-0 at Larksfield Road in their FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying match. Maurice Doyle outleapt Adam Hitchen to flick a long cross from Andy Thomas past Alex Hards early in the first half. After gaining the lead, Yate played defensively and scrapped with Hill for every pass, shot and loose ball as the supported keeper Paul Newton well in his clean sheet effort. The win will move Yate on in FA Trophy competition.

"Well, I guess the kiddie corps still has some learning to do," muttered Heartwood.

"They tried, but I think they actually tried too hard," lamented Pearson.

"It is something to build on. But I hope they have learned a lesson here- never take anyone lightly."

Harrow Hill Battles to Draw with Weymouth

In an early showdown match between the top 2 clubs in Conference South, Weymouth looked much the better despite an redcard to Matt Bound in the first half. Neither side was able to capitalize on limited scoring chances as the two sides battled to closely played scoreless draw at Wessex Stadium. Weymouth was much the sharper club in the first half and only offsides calls seemed to be holding them back as Daniel Webb and Alex Varney both suffered several calls for moving away too early. Hill had only one shot in the first half, but when Bound was sent off for a tackle from behind on Robert Dickinson as the last man, it appeared they might be able to take advantage of the extra space. It seemed Weymouth was everywhere in the second half and they worked hard in support of their keeper- Arran Lee-Barrett. Hill had to survive many corners and throw-ins as they seemed unable to run the tireless home side down, despite the man advantage. Mark Russell, on for slightly injured Darren Gwyther, had a pair of excellent scoring chances late in the match, but one shot sailed just wide of the post and his flicked header skimmed the bar. The draw was a fair result to both clubs and Ash Carew earned MOM honours for his midfield exploits.

"I would have been happier if we could have won, but I will take this draw," said a pleased Heartwood.

"If we execute better in their area, we would have won."

"True, we just couldn't get our passes in the right place today."

Hill Sinks Sutton

Harrow Hill came out with much improved effort and execution as they easily defeated Sutton United 3-0 at Larksfield Road. Misiu Mlynowski celebrated his debut by deflecting a cross from Aaron Samuel past Carl Emberson to give Hill the early lead in the match. Hill moved ahead 2-0 to halftime when Lewis Tozer sent a terrific through ball to Robert Dickinson. Dickinson danced past Lewis Gonsalves before slipping a shot past a diving Emberson. Dickinson had a golden opportunity to put the match away early in the second half, as Matt Gray had tripped Mlynowski in the area and earned a redcard and penalty kick for Hill, but Emberson easily saved Dickinson's shot to the middle. Dickinson capped off his MOM performance by finally making it a brace as he drilled a shot past Emberson after a deft pass from Sean Coburn, who had come on for a tiring Samuel, in the late moments of the second half. Craig Farr was able to maintain another clean sheet in the win.

"Nice execution from our forwards today," stated a please Heartwood.

"I was really happy with Misiu Mlynowski on his debut. He was superb today."

"When Dickinson is playing like he did today, you can almost see the opposing manager cringe every time he gets the ball."

Thurrock Trumps Hill

It may have been Harrow Hill that dominated the match at Larksfield Road, but visiting Thurrock had the last laugh when they worked a superb play off a throw-in late in the second half to score and edged Hill 1-0. Hill had plenty of chances to gain the lead both in the first half and in the second half, but a mixture of excellent work from keeper Mark Skinner and timely tackling and clearing from their backline kept Hill off the scoreline. Robert Dickinson, Peter Sutton and Ash Carew all had great chances to score along the way, but Skinner was there each time to parry the shot away. The match winner came when Thurrock got a throw-in. Defender Lee Anderson took the long throw from the left sideline and then picked out Danny Davidson breaking in free on the right side of the net. Anderson's pass was picture perfect and Davidson deflected it past Paul Catley into the right side of the net for the match winner. Hill didn't appear to have any life left after the goal and went meekly in the closing moments of the match.

"We would have had the match, if we could have finished today," observed Pearson.

"It wasn't for the lack of trying. We got the good chances, took the good shots- but didn't get anything out of them today."

Hill Ambushes St.Albans

Smarting from their home loss to Thurrock, Harrow Hill took out their frustration on St.Albans as they rolled over their hosts 4-0 at Clarence Park. Robert Dickinson and Misiu Mlynowski seem to have some type of internal awareness, as Mlynowski could only sense that Dickinson was breaking free when he skimmed a pass through traffic to him. Dickinson flicked the ball past Paul Bastock for an early Hill lead. Bastock made a series of sensational saves to keep his club close as the St.Albans' backline collapsed under Hill pressure. A beautifully worked throw-in from the left saw Sean Coburn wheeling and rifling a shot inside the far right post to move the margin to 2-0. Less than two minutes later another Mlynowski to Dickinson connection earned a brace for Dickinson and a 3-0 halftime lead. Hill refused to back off from their pressure in the second half and continued to dominate the midfield. A trip by John Williamson on Mark Russell, on for Mlynowski, in the area allowed Dickinson to complete his hattrick when he converted the ensuing penalty. Craig Farr had the easiest of clean sheets as Hill didn't allow the home side a shot in the entire match, outshooting them 17-0.

Heartwood was beaming, "It was great to see how badly the boys wanted this match- after the loss to Thurrock."

Pearson shook his head admiringly, "It was about the closest you will see to a perfect performance today. We could easily have won 8-0."

Hill Fells Farnborough

After yielding an early first half goal, Harrow Hill fought back in the second half to score twice to edge a determined home side. Louis Dodds struck early after a dazzling pass from Matthew Platt put him in free and he slipped his shot past Craig Farr. Hill tried to fight back and get the match even by halftime, but timely tackling and solid play by Phil Morgan in goal kept the Cherrywood Park faithful happy at half. Hill stepped up more pressure in the second half, but their finishing was lacking and they failed to trouble Morgan. Robert Dickinson again proved he is a sharpshooter around the net as he fired in a goal off the rightside frame after a deft past from Ash Carew. Carew earned MOM honours with a corner kick that allowed Dickinson to tee the ball up and blast it past Morgan for a late match winning goal. Farr had to be steady as the Hill backline allowed too many chances in the late going.

"I was very glad to hear that final whistle," said a relieved Heartwood.

"Me too. We had too many 'close calls' in the last 10 minutes of the match," replied Pearson.

"We won, that is all that really matters from the match."

I thought it was a good time to sign Ash Carew to a longer contract. With his expiring in two seasons I wanted to get him locked into a longer deal and we settled on a 4-year contract. With the squad a bit more sorted out at this point, it is time to begin winnowing the squad a bit as we approach the reopening of the transfer window.

Newport Hammers Hill

It was apparent that Harrow Hill didn't have enough left in the tank of this third straight road match as Newport potted two goals to win out 2-0. Hill appeared to have the same fluid attack as usual in the first half, but were uncharacteristically missing lots of passes down in the opposing area. Veteran keeper Peter Caldwell also showed experience counts by being in the right place to punch away two good scoring chances. The second half was Hill's undoing as Mark Gadsby slipped away from Lewis Tozer's marking twice- and both times flicked headers past Craig Farr to earn a brace while keying the win for the home side.

"Though we really didn't seem tired physically, we seemed tired mentally in the second half," observed Heartwood.

"I would agree with you. We had plenty of chances, but our execution and finishing was sloppy the entire match."

"At least we are headed back home for the next one."

Hill Battles Bishop's Stortford to Draw

Harrow Hill wasted a chance at a hard earned win when an own-goal late in the second half allowed the visiting Bishop's Stortford to escape with a 1-1 draw. Due to fitness problems, Hill was featuring none of their regular first line players in the match. Darren Gwyther made the most of his opportunity as he scored to give Hill the 1-0 halftime lead enroute to receiving MOM honours. Hill appeared to have the match in hand in the second half, despite only leading by a goal. Nicky Hawkins managed to do what Stortford couldn't as he put his header past Alex Hards into his own net to equalize. Hill had several chances to win the match, including a flick from Misiu Mlynowski that hit the right upright squarely and bounced away, but couldn't find a way to net another goal past Matthew Reed.

"Could have, should have won this one," sighed Pearson.

"We were so close. The whole match I felt like we were only a moment from breaking out on them."

Hill Brushes By Bognor Regis

Much greater intensity seemed the major difference as Harrow Hill defeated Bognor Regis 2-0 in a battle of the 2nd and 3rd placed clubs. The Larksfield Road fans were buzzing from the start of the match and had something to cheer about when Robert Dickinson scored his 20th goal of the season off a delicate pass from Steven Webb midway through the first half. The beginning of the second half saw Hill ratchet up the pressure on Bognor Regis and then gain their just reward as Robert Burns deflected a centering pass from Dickinson past Craig Stoner to make the match a more comfortable 2-0 for Hill. With the lead, Hill played more conservatively and their active backline helped blunt all rally attempts in support of a another Craig Farr clean sheet.

"Would you have believed this before the season," chuckled Heartwood. "We have reached the midway point of the season comfortably in second place."

"I would rather be in first," grinned Pearson.

"Well, if Weymouth hadn't been on fire since virtually the start of the season- maybe we would."

"Still a lot of football to be played."

"True, and our young club is about to reach the part of the season that they will need to learn to grind through as professional footballers."

English Conference South- Midseason

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- Weymouth 49 pts (+33)

2- Harrow Hill 46 pts (+27)

3- Bognor Regis 38 pts (+8)

4- Carshalton 37 pts (+7)

5- Cambridge City 36 pts (+8)

6- Dorchester 35 pts (+12)

7- Maidenhead 30 pts (+4)

8- St.Albans 30 pts (-1)

9- Newport 29 pts (+3)

10-Havant & W 28 pts (+5)

</pre>

Heartwood set the phone down, "The sale of Eddie Booth is finally complete Bob."

"Which club did he select?"

"He picked Dover out of the three clubs that were bidding."

"How much did we get from the sale?"

"Not a lot- 7K- but we might as well get something, since we likely wouldn't if he didn't re-sign with us."

"He had already made clear that he wasn't getting enough playing time. There wasn't much way that he would re-sign."

Hill Lowers Boom on Lewes

Harrow Hill began the second half of ECS season in fine form as they rolled over struggling Lewes 4-0 in front of a delighted Larksfield Road crowd. Aaron Samuel showed a fine finish as he put Hill into the early lead by blasting a shot past Aaron France from just beyond the right corner of the six-yard box. Darren Gwyther, playing in place of a resting Robert Dickinson, took full advantage of his opportunity today with a fantastic shooting display to net a hattrick. Gwyther's first goal- his 5th of the season, came on a cross from Misiu Mlynowski and that helped Hill to a 2-0 halftime lead. Gwyther then added his 2nd and 3rd goals within 2 minutes of each other in the second half. The first came off a good pass from David Jackson and Mlynowski set him for the hattrick with his second fine cross. Lewes went quietly after the 4th goal and Paul Catley earned an easy clean sheet.

"That was a nice, comfortable win- no pulling hair today," chuckled Heartwood.

"Hair? What hair?" laughed Pearson.

"It looks like Darren Gwyther is starting to settle in. He isn't as comfortable on the left side, so I plan to use him to give Dickinson a match off here and there as the season progresses."

"That seems a good plan. Misiu Mlynowski doesn't look like a playmaker- but he already has 4 assists in 6 matches."

Pearson and Heartwood sat at a round table, heaped high with folders for each player on Harrow Hill.

Heartwood looked up, "It's time to start making some decisions and setting the wheels in motion for the future of the club- especially since I can say with confidence that we will avoid relegation."

Pearson grinned, "We did manage to put that worry to rest in the first half of the season."

"I need your insight Bob. One of the reasons I wanted you as Assistant Manager is because of your ability to evaluate players."

"Ok, where do you want to start Jim."

"Keepers I guess. What are your thoughts?"

"Craig Farr is certainly living up to what we both expected of him. I think we did well with Paul Catley too- he has the makings of a future star. I am not sold on Alex Hards though, I think he won't be much more than a backup."

"I agree with you on all three. Mostly I wanted Hards because I think he is an adequate backup. If he becomes too unhappy, then he will go on the transfer list and we can search for another. How about both side fullbacks?"

"We are really well off there. Jamie Chandler has a great future and I think Steven Webb could also become a star. Danny Smith is going to be a very good player and David Carns has a lot of potential- so we are good depth wise. I don't think David Jackson will be much more than what he is showing us now and Marcus Dydyna is just decent, nothing special.

"What do you think about our center defense?"

"Do you want an evaluation of Samuel Okikiolu?"

"No. Though I am loathing doing it- in fear of screwing up our success- I will be living up to my promise and offering him to clubs. If we are going to cash in on him- it has to be right now. If that doesn't work out, then he can play out this season's contract here and we will let him go on free."

"Well, leaving him out- Lewis Tozer has fantastic ability, we need to keep him as long as possible. Nicky Hawkins also has star potential, so if Samuel goes- he should be our other starter. Adam Hitchen is decent, but nothing more than that. I think both Michael Johnston and Matt Hill will be nothing more than cover and we shouldn't hope for much from them."

"Should I be looking for another player there?"

"Yes, I think we will need someone- especially if Samuel goes."

"Wingers?"

"Robert Burns could be a big star on the left, but I don't think Jonathan Harris and Simon Varty are really that good- you might want to look for more depth there as well. Sean Coburn is a very good player and has offered us good leadership as skipper. Aaron Samuel is decent, but I wouldn't want to depend on him as a starter. Roger Charles, well you know I tried to talk you out of signing him to a new contract when he turned 17."

Heartwood nodded, "You were right on Roger. I was wrong. I guess I should see about getting Burns locked into a longer contract- his current one is through 2007."

"I would. He should be our starting leftwinger for many years since he is only 18."

"Center mids?"

"Two excellent ones in Ash Carew and Billy Nott. You did nicely in getting them under longer contracts. Two more of very good ability in Pat Lynott and Joe Foote. Scott Harber has a lot of potential. Nick Muir and Anthony Millerick won't ever help us."

"I am just waiting on Scott Harber's 17th birthday to get him under a longer contract. I won't worry about Muir and Millerick. How about our forwards?"

"I don't need to say anything about Robert Dickinson- he is one of the best players in the ECS. Though we haven't really started Mark Russell, I think we should give him a chance- he could be a big star. Misiu Mlynowski has turned into a very nice find and will be a very good player. I know you disagree on this, but I feel Darren Gwyther is overrated."

Heartwood sighed, "Well, Darren has great finishing ability- something you can't overlook at the level of ECS play. He is a bit one-dimensional, but if scoring is that dimension- we need it."

Pearson nodded and continued, "Cory Johnson and Tom Byrne are decent. Peter Sutton is another one that I don't agree with you on, but I am willing to wait and see if he surprises me. Jon French isn't going to help us."

"Cory is unhappy and I put him on the transfer list. Tom's contract is only for this season and I don't really plan on extending it- unless he shows me a lot more than I have seen from him so far."

"To summarize- I think we still need depth in center defense, both wings and forward."

"Thanks for your input and help Bob."

Hayes Tips Hill

Hayes won a closely contested 1-0 match over Harrow Hill at Church Road with a goal late in the second half. Both sides had plenty of opportunities to get on the scoreline prior to the match winner, but keepers Matthew Gregg and Craig Farr had done a good job of making key saves. The lone goal came when Bobby White outleapt Misiu Mlynowski and made a long header, sending Farr's goal kick back toward the net. Jeff Goulding showed exquisite timing in outleaping Lewis Tozer and flicking the ball past Farr. Robert Dickinson was very frustrated in the match, as Gregg made several saves on him, but Aaron Samuel could only hang his head for missing a wide open net on a rebound with a chance to equalize.

"Close one, we could have done better," observed Heartwood.

"Our finishing was faulty, but we played pretty well otherwise."

Hill Dumps Dorchester

Most of the match had been an exercise in frustration for Harrow Hill as they were still locked in 1-1 draw with visiting Dorchester heading into the late stages of the match at Larksfield Road. The turning point was sudden, as the superior Hill conditioning and pace suddenly made its appearances and they swamped the visitors in the late stages to grab a 3-1 win. Though Hill had much the best of play in the first half, the only goal they had was Robert Dickinson't penalty kick after Gary Middleton had tripped Mark Russell in the area. Dorchester, in really their only scoring opportunity, saw Warren Byerly flick a free kick past Craig Farr to equalize in the opening moments of the second half. Dorchester quickly had to return to the defensive as their skipper Alex Browne earned a redcard for knocking down Dickinson as the last man. Hill had the space on the pitch, but was having trouble taking full advantage of it. Dickinson ended the frustration when he made it a brace after driving in a 20 yard blast Nick Jones at 83 minutes. Hill put the match away less than two minutes later when a terrific cross from Aaron Samuel made it easy for Billy Nott to deflect it past Jones to cap a determined Hill performance.

"The boys showed excellent heart. They never quit pressuring them and it finally paid off," commented Pearson.

"I was impressed by how our whole club shook off their equalizer and went right back to working to regain the lead."

Draw at War Memorial

Harrow Hill battled Carshalton to a scoreless draw in front of a packed house at War Memorial. Hill showed the better play throughout the match, but the dogged defense of the home side did much to ruin several fine chances for Hill. Carshalton managed only two shots at Craig Farr in the match and seemed more concerned in avoiding Hill scoring than scoring themselves. Hill ranged far and wide in their attempts to get a goal past Jonathan Venter, but it wasn't to be as their shooting was inaccurate this afternoon. Samuel Okikiolu earned MOM honours the day after he announced that he had accepted a contract from Rushden and would be joining them on July 1st.

"I can't fault Samuel for either his choice- though I wish we could have profited from the sale of him- nor of his committment to the club," stated Heartwood.

"Hopefully, Ash Carew will get back from injury soon. We really missed his dynamic presence today," replied Pearson.

"With Billy Nott out also, that certainly put a damper on our midfield. It was good to see Scott Harber play well today when he subbed on."

"He told me he was very happy with his new contract and realized he would likely get more playing time now that he is 17."

"A couple new signings arriving today Bob," said a pleased Heartwood.

"And who might these fine fellows be?"

"Paul Jenkin and Alex Jennings. Jenkin is a 21 year old left footed forward who is signing his first pro contract with us. Jennings is 17 year old keeper that both Spencer Field and Rob Campkin called one of the best young keepers they have seen. With Jennings addition, Alex Hards will be moving to the Reserves- and the transfer list.

Weston Super Over Hill

Weston-super-Mere took advantage of an accidental goal and a late corner to see off visiting Harrow Hill 2-0. Hill, playing without resting Robert Dickinson and Samuel Okikiolu, still showed plenty of verve in the match- but as has been the case lately- they did not finish well around the Weston net. The first half was scoreless with Hill controlling much of the flow of play. Misiu Mlynowski showed excellent moves around the goal in both halves, but all too often his strike partners- Mark Russell and later Peter Sutton- failed to get in good position for his passes. Jonathan French sent a looping centering pass toward the goal early in the second half and Paul Catley didn't see the ball as it looped over him to put the home side in the lead. Mark Walley put the match out of reach for Hill at 88 minutes when he rammed home a rebound following a scramble in front of Catley on a corner kick. Manager James Heartwood had little comment on his sides offensive struggles, other than to say, "We are working on it."

"Working on it? Did I really say that?" asked Heartwood quizically.

"Yes, you said it- but I think they took it a bit out of context Jim."

"No matter. It is something we need to resolve quickly. We have to find a way to score more."

"One more addition, Bob. I think we are done after this."

"Who is arriving?"

"Peter Cawson. He is a 19 year old MRC who came out of the Carlisle youth program. I don't think he will be much more than cover for rightwing and maybe center mid, but he has a nice balance of skills and Spencer thought he had good potential."

Hill Hands Havant & W a Waterloo

Harrow Hill took advantage of an early redcard to Havant & W defender Matt Gray as they rolled over the visitors 4-0 at Larksfield Road. The margin could easily have been more as uncharacteristically Robert Dickinson missed a penalty. Aaron Samuel got Hill off to a flying start when he converted his penalty kick in the early moments of the match after Sebastien Wallis-Taylor tripped Paul Jenkin in the area. Gray was sent off for a last man redcard at 13 minutes after it was his turn to trip Jenkin in the area. Dickinson missed the penalty and Hill was only able to finish the first half with a 1-0 lead thanks to hard work by the undermanned Havant side. The second half was another story as the constant Hill pressure took its toll. Billy Nott drove home a rebound past Tom Phillips after David Carns crashed a shot off the right upright. Dickinson then took over and made it a brace of goals by scoring on two superb moves around the net. Dickinson publicly commented that he was disappointed that he had missed his hat-trick because of missing the early penalty kick.

"That was nice to see. We finally played flowing attack football and finished around the net," offered a pleased Heartwood.

"Our execution was spot on today. If we can just do that consistently..."

"I don't think we are going to be able to overtake Weymouth now. They are just too hot and our cold scoring stretch here has left us too much room to make up. Still we need to drive hard for the playoffs now."

Archived