The FMS X-Factor

Terk

Just what the world has been waiting for, a version of the X-Factor without Codpiece Cowell. I must first say that I pride myself on never having watched the show even once, but it pervades popular culture to the extent that I am even aware of what became known as 'Jedward'. I thought it could be a fun setting for an FMS talent competition, and given that FMS character stories are the fashion right now, I figured I'd throw my hat into the overcrowded ring.

The basic principle of the FMS X-Factor is that twenty FMSers have been chosen to take part (unknowingly on their part) and entered into a database. That database will then be run on holiday mode to various points, allowing the FMSers loose into the world of simulated football. We'll track their progress and then it's up to the good people of this forum to vote on who deserves to stay in.

At each stage you will be asked to cast a vote for your top three and points will be awarded accordingly. The two contestants with the lowest scores will be identified and it will then be up to our panel of judges (a rotating selection of three FMSers) to decide who is booted off. When we get down to the final two, in the year 2020 in the game, it will be straight public vote, most points is crowned FMS X-Factor winner and can look forward to brief, insignificant fame.

In the next couple of posts I'll lay out the rules more clearly and we'll meet the contestants in more detail, but for now here's a list of those chosen. Sorry if you didn't get in, I just went with the first twenty names that came to mind.

FMS X-Factor Contestants

Balthazars, The RingMaster, Celtic_1967, Elrithral, swagat sinha, BenArsenal, The-Perfect-FM'er!, SCIAG, Dalbeider, stoehrst, mark wilson 27, WLKRAS, tenthreeleader, copperhorse21, viperk1, Saxonaitor, gavrenwick, ScottleeSV, JamboJen, Offspring8

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, the rules should be pretty simple, but as I've just realised it's quarter to three in the morning, I'll probably make them sound horribly complicated.

Twenty FMSers have been selected to partake in the inaugural FMS X-Factor. They will be voted off by a combination of public vote and judges' selection until we have only one remaining in the summer of 2020, the FMS X-Factor winner. Voting will take place at six month intervals in game time with a few exceptions. The first vote will not take place until June 2010 to ensure that everyone has at least one year in the game, and once we are down to the final three, votes will then be spaced one year apart.

The voting will work as follows. At each interval, people (and that includes those who aren't contestants, it will work much better if those just reading along get involved with the voting) will be asked to vote (via PM) for their top 3. Three points will be awarded to your #1 choice, two points to your #2 choice and one point to your #3 choice. The two contestants with the lowest combined scores will then face the judges panel. Each week FMSers, both contestants and readers, will be asked to form the panel. They will then vote, again via PM, on whom to kick out of the competition.

In the final round, when only two contestants remain, there will be no judges panel and people will be asked for a straight vote on who should win. In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by the number of points they accumulated throughout the competition.

Once the winner has been decided and acclaimed by us all, there will be an update detailing the careers of each of the twenty contestants, letting us see how they did after we voted them off and whether we were right to do so. Just for ***** and giggles.

All players have been given a D.O.B. of 1st July 1989 (except for mark wilson, he's two years older because I ****ed up in the editor) and have been set with identical CAs and PAs.

All players had their positions randomly assigned.

Any questions, please ask.

FMS X-Factor Contestants

Balthazars

A good all round winger, though lacking in flair and a bit of a weedy weakling. His biggest drawback may be that he's an Aussie.

BenArsenal

Good in the air despite his lack of height, Ben looks like another weedy weakling, and he's certainly not captain material.

Celtic_1967

Lacking in pace for a winger (probably had too many deep fried Mars Bars), but can cross a ball well and pretty well sorted in the mental facets of the game.

Dalbeider

A Spanish left back? Hopefully he's better than Javier Garrido.

Elrithral

Pretty solid all round, save for his ability to catch a cross, which rivals that of Heurelho Gomes.

JamboJen

A girl playing football? Well no, the game isn't that far into equal rights just yet, so in this reality Jen is masquerading as a dude, and one who can pass a football pretty well.

The-Perfect-FM'er!

Unfortunately for him the game doesn't take into account that he's the only one of us who is actually a footballer. Or maybe that's lucky for him, maybe he's **** in real life.

The RingMaster

Dirty Ranger fan. Vote for him and you'll be banned. Unfortunately he looks like a pretty decent player.

SCIAG

I should have jokes here about him being a Reading fan, so not being used to actual football, but after Wednesday night they might sound a bit hollow. Hopefully his game persona learns to tackle a bit better in the near future.

ScottleeSV

Another who is a solid all round player, though not being able to jump and standing only 5'7" tall makes him less likely to win a header than Emiliano Insúa.

WLKRAS

The Dutchist in our ranks, so WLKRAS will inevitably be stoned throughout. Maybe that will mellow out his aggression stat.

copperhorse21

An American? Booooooo.

gavrenwick

A Newcastle fan. Point and laugh.

mark wilson27

The old man of the group, maybe those extra two years will stand him in good stead. Let's face it, he needs something to help him overcome the fact that he supports Man Utd.

Offspring8

I want to say mean things about him, but he actually looks pretty good. Early bookies favourite? They never win.

Saxonaitor

One of the few whom the game actually makes older than they are in real life, at 6'4 he looks like the sort of forward who enjoys a good aerial battle. He'll do well for Stoke then.

stoehrst

Another Yank? If one of this lot win I shall be deeply unhappy.

swagat sinha

Very technically gifted, not particularly fast or fit, sounds a bit like Sachin Tendulkar to me, which is a reference only those who are partial to a bit of cricket will get.

tenthreeleader

Rob Ridgway my arse. This will prove that our American curmudgeon is useless at 'soccer'.

viperk1

The last of our three goalkeepers, viper looks like possibly being the best of them, though don't ask him a difficult question because, by the looks of his mental stats, he's a bit thick.

*disclaimer: I hope I've got everyone's nationality right, I guessed at a couple. Both Elrithral and Celtic_1967 have English second nationalities and haven't been declared for either of their nations yet. If I got it wrong, or if I spelled your username wrong, well bite me :p *

I may be the oldest in the group but mentally I'm the most immature...But people don't let the fact i'm a Manc sway your votes remember there is worst out there....

I'm not going to mention anything but they do like fast food and did have someone called WW Bush running them for eight years..

Thats my pitch for the first round of votes lol.

This looks brilliant and nice little line under my name :D

Although one question' date=' I'm not sure what we are voting at? Or is completly random, just who we feel like voting for?[/quote']

You can judge your voting criteria on anything you want. I'll be reporting on how players are doing in the game, you can vote for the most successful players, the ones who have the best stats, the ones who play for a team you like, whatever. And if you provide amusing reasons along with your votes that I can include in reports then all the better.

there is worst out there....

For that peice of English, you should already be in the bottom two! :D

And okay Terk, I get it. Defensive midfielder I see. I reckon I'm the next Xabi Alonso. Possibly better.

Xabi Alonso's move to Real Madrid put a massive dent in Liverpool's season which we all know is brilliant :D, therefore that's a clear vote for me.

(takes the chances that only 3/4 voters are Liverpool as he tries to sway the majority)

Also does anyone else like football by the way? I do. We have loads in common! Vote for me.

Also' date=' I know God 'n' that, so if you don't vote for me, will like ask him to send you down to Hell or a night in with Dale Winton. Don't push me.[/quote']

Gods already **** on me because I was born with 666 on the back of my head. I go into church holy water boils so don't threaten me with any holy crap lol

Yes but obviously count fans of all the other clubs against fans of just Liverpool and your looking at a big majority. That's a fail in basic knowledge of proportionism. So surely that's another vote for me.

Unless, the rest of the voters are saddened by the lack of one of the Premier League's top teams.

Or, they might chose to vote for another reason entirely.

Vote Scott!

Why?...

- Good all rounders are versatile in a crisis.

- At 5 foot 7, my success in this competition will show the entire world you can succeed in life even if you're a short arse.

- I deserve to win just for having the indignity of being compared to Insua.

- You have to admit, my description does make me a sound a little bit like a potential Maradona.

Thankyou.

I had to reload the game because there was a problem with non EU players not getting picked up by clubs (despite me having their national leagues running), so when we get to the January update (in a couple of hours), you may find that your player's stats are a bit different. Maybe it can earn you a sympathy vote if you've turned **** :D

Obligitory completely irrelevant emotional backstory to whore votes…..

**’Fix You’ by Coldplay plays in background**

Voiceover: Although football is now what drives The RingMaster, it is not a desire for fame or wealth; he just wants to do it for his mum.

(I give a wide eyed look to camera and pretend I’m about to start crying)

RM: I would just be so proud if I could make it all the way through to the final. It has been my dream for as long as I can remember, and now that I’m in the competition I would never forgive myself if I don’t do myself justice.

My mommy was always the one who told me I could make it, and she made sooo many sacrifices so that I could fulfil my dreams. She used to take afternoons off work so that she could drive me to football practice; she used to pay her bills late, so that she would have enough money to pay for my training; we effectively lived in dirty, turgid, poverty so I could have the chance to become a footballer – it was like being a Celtic fan.

So if you vote for me and help my dreams come true it will all be dedicated to my wonderful mother.

#Annnnd I willll try to fix yooooooooou#

(……Fade out with slow motion sepia footage of me hugging my maw…..)

Seems like Saxonaitor is a giant by all standards at 6'42. I don't need to worry about votes; goalkeepers don't win a thing!

To be honest I just noticed this :o

I'm touched I'm in this, didn't think I was an established member of FMS yet but.. Oh you guys *hugs everyone and Terk* :)

I'm around 6"0 now so its not to unrealistic. Should be able to whore a few votes I'm sure. :thup:

To be honest I just noticed this :o

I'm touched I'm in this, didn't think I was an established member of FMS yet but.. Oh you guys *hugs everyone and Terk* :)

I'm around 6"0 now so its not to unrealistic. Should be able to whore a few votes I'm sure. :thup:

Always like to include a n00b. Don't want us to become an established clique like some fora around here I could mention :D

Always like to include a n00b. Don't want us to become an established clique like some fora around here I could mention :D

:D

When can we expect the first update of this plentiful adventure?

Oh and Terk just so you know, I'm living in Australia :thup: Originally English but Aussie really :)

What an idea, looking forward to this :D first update should be good, wouldn't be surprised if my player plays for Chelsea and has become an integral part of the team, leading them to domestic and european success :p

Where I know them I've added in favourite and disliked clubs for people. Despite that, I really hope you end up playing for Arsenal :D

What an idea, looking forward to this :D first update should be good, wouldn't be surprised if my player plays for Chelsea and has become an integral part of the team, leading them to domestic and european success :p

I'd be surprised ;).

Nice touch ;) and thanks for the good wishes, I too hope to see myself as a Gooner... :thdn::p

Best believe it Gav, I'm going to have picked up the highest count of medals by the end of this, and then I will also walk away as the X-Factor winner with my bag full of cash and brand new single, which everybody here will be allowed to buy at half price if they vote to keep me in!:rolleyes:!

Nice touch ;) and thanks for the good wishes, I too hope to see myself as a Gooner... :thdn::p

Best believe it Gav, I'm going to have picked up the highest count of medals by the end of this, and then I will also walk away as the X-Factor winner with my bag full of cash and brand new single, which everybody here will be allowed to buy at half price if they vote to keep me in!:rolleyes:!

I'll just start a Facebook campaign for votes, and back RATM! to knock you off the single spot at Christmas times.

You might have a little difficulty there; I introduced RATM to Florence and the Machine, and now Rage are too busy chasing Florence around everywhere to be bothered about knocking me off of the top spot :p. But as for your personal facebook campaign, I'll become a fan!:D!

January 2010 Update

Part 1

Balthazars (Ipswich)

A victim of the reload, he doesn't look as good now, but at least he's got a club. Signed a 3 year deal with Roy Keane's Ipswich, has mostly featured on the bench but has played five games in helping them to 7th in the Championship.

The RingMaster (Hibernian)

A dirt Rangers fan playing for the dirty Hibees. Has mixed his time between centre back and right back having signed a four year deal. Has been a regular starter for Scotland U-21s in the European qualifying campaign. Scored his only goal in 4-1 defeat against Hearts.

Celtic_1967 (Southampton)

Penned a 3 year deal and has been a solid first choice in Southampton's climb up the league one table. Had they not started on -10 points, they'd currently be four points clear at the top of the table. Made his Scotland U-21 debut in the 3-1 home friendly win over Lithuania.

Elrithral (AS Monaco)

A big move for our Northern Irishman, he signed a five year deal at Monaco and has been their #1 save for a few brief injuries. Has helped them to 4th in Ligue 1 and made his interntional debut in a 1-0 friendly defeat against Serbia at Windsor Park.

swagat sinha (Loko (Sofia))

Picked up by the Bulgarian club on a three year deal, swagat may have been hoping for a better side to come along but has made the best of the situation with some excellent performances. Is now being chased by Cardiff and Dinamo Moscow.

BenArsenal (Preston)

I would have to hazard a guess that he's the first Singaporean to play in the English leagues, and he's been an important part of the Preston side that sit 6th in the Championship. Made his international debut in a 3-2 defeat against Jordan and followed it up with a second cap in the 2-0 defeat against Iran.

The-Perfect-FM'er! (Derby)

Another of the Championship crew, Perfect's Derby are resolutely mid-table, but he has done well, appearing in five games for England at the U-20 World Cup. He has also sat on the bench for the U-21 side, but has yet to make an appearance.

SCIAG (Derby)

A teammate of Perfect, SCIAG hasn't played as regularly at club level (sharing his position with Dean Leacock), but has gone one better for the England U-20 side, scoring a goal in the 3-0 group stage win over Uzbekistan at the World Cup.

Dalbeider (Lecce)

Reckons he's better than Capdevilla, well not quite yet. Has been an important part of Lecce's climb to 2nd in Serie B, though he missed a few games through his participation in the U-20 World Cup. Made 2 appearances for Spain, including coming off the bench in the 2-1 defeat to England in the final. Is now wanted by Villarreal.

stoehrst (Wigan)

The first player to be picked up by a Premier League club (though it's onyl Wigan, so doesn't really count), stoehrst has failed to find the net in any of his five club games yet, but has been more successful on the international stage. He made a goalscoring debut against Trinidad & Tobago in September, partnering Jozy Altidore up front, but picked up a knee injury in his second cap (against Honduras) from which he has only just recovered. Wigan currently lie 19th in the Premier League.

January 2010 Update

Part 2

mark wilson27 (West Brom)

A very successful start to his career, Mark has helped West Brom to fourth in the Championship, mostly playing just behind striker Simon Cox. A return of 11 goals in 25 games is very healthy, and should earn him better than the current two year deal he is on.

WLKRAS (Scunthorpe)

Not where you'd naturally look to find a talented Dutchman, but given that he has a first touch worse than Dirk Kuijt, you can't be too surprised. WLKRAS' Scunny are struggling in the Championship, just two points above the relegation zone, so maybe he's wishing he'd impressed a little bit more having been taken on trial by Derby before his move to the Iron.

tenthreeleader (Hearts)

Finally someone who signed for a decent club, 10-3 committed himself to Mad Vlad's brigade for three years and has spent most of his time at right back. Hearts may only sit 9th in the SPL, but 10-3 himself has impressed, making four appearances for the US national side, his debut coming in Mexico City and has led to interest from Villarreal. And at least Hearts are ahead of Hibs in the table.

copperhorse21 (Hamilton)

Not the most glamorous of assignments for our third American, but his 7 goals have helped Hamilton spring to a stunning 4th place in the SPL. Is Europa League football set to find its way to New Douglas Park? Unlike the others, he hasn't made his full international debut yet, but he did score twice against England in the U-20 World Cup quarter final, only to then miss the decisive penalty in the shoot out.

viperk1 (Hamilton)

Copper and Viper have already built up history, having both signed for the same club and then coming head to head in the U-20 World Cup. It was viper who saved copper's penalty to send the US home, and the young Englishman has added to his delight with a few caps for the U-21 side as well. Of course, he'll need to move to a decent league if he's to get full international honours.

Saxonaitor (Hearts)

He may claim to be an Aussie, but we know he's a Pom really. His eight goals for Hearts make him eight times better than Christian Nadé, but it was at the U-20 World Cup where he really came to life, scoring three goals including the opener in England's 2-1 win over Spain in the final.

gavrenwick (Yeovil)

Poor gav, not only did he have to sign for League One side Yeovil, who are down in the relegation zone, but he then broke his leg in a game against Brentford. Add that to his support of Newcastle and he might as well just end it all right now.

ScottleeSV (Everton)

Boooooooooooooooooo. Scott has done well to find himself at Everton, though perhaps he was unlucky to find his place at the U-20 World Cup went to The-Perfect-FM'er!. He got his own back, however, keeping Perfect out of the U-21 side and scoring in a qualifier in Armenia.Will the lack of first team games tell against him though?

JamboJen (St. Mirren)

Yet another to find themselves mired in the SPL, Jen is another who has helped an unfancied side to a healthy league position as St. Mirren sit in 5th place. She impressed enough to make her international debut off the bench against Lithuania, and got another cap when again she came on against Turkey. Unfortunately that means that Scotland boss Graeme Souness is now listed amongst her favoured personnel.

Offspring8 (Reading)

Not quite Chelsea yet, but Offspring has done well for a Reading side who sit 8th in the Championship and was another to score in the U-20 World Cup, his coming in the group stage win over Ghana. He doesn't seem happy at Reading though and is currently 'considering his options. Bit of a diva then?

You are not being asked to vote at this stage. An update for June 2010 will be posted tomorrow, making sure that everyone plays at least one season before being voted off and at that stage you will be asked to cast your votes.

Trophies Won

U-20 World Cup

Offspring8, Saxonaitor, SCIAG, The-Perfect-FM'er!, viperk1

International Caps

Northern Ireland

Elrithral (1)

Scotland

JamboJen (2)

Singapore

BenArsenal (2)

U.S.A.

tenthreeleader (4)

stoehrst (2)

International Goals

U.S.A.

stoehrst (1)

viperk1 (Hamilton)

Copper and Viper have already built up history, having both signed for the same club and then coming head to head in the U-20 World Cup. It was viper who saved copper's penalty to send the US home, and the young Englishman has added to his delight with a few caps for the U-21 side as well. Of course, he'll need to move to a decent league if he's to get full international honours.

Hamilton Accies? 4th in the SPL? Something's clearly not right there :p

Other than that - COP THAT ONE, COPPER! :D

I had to reload the game

Ah, so the competition is fixed already :D

Since we're campaigning, let me take a page from the PM7 School of Campaigning: I need more awards. :D

The official "Hearts of Gold" campaign is kicking off. Jen, Terk, where are you when I REALLY need you? :)

And I gotta know ... who did I score against? :)

Nice. :D

For a moment I thought this was FMX Factor (a good sign up in CSE) and I had entered the wrong forum. :o

I actually look decent, somewhat. :p

(For the record, I don't think I'm the first Singaporean to play in England. There was a naturalised Brit-Singaporean who played for Wrexham for a spell. His name is Daniel Bennett)

Archived