Sports Interactive Community

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Time to pull out your stats Like I said yesterday with that PKM I posted on here, it's incredibly easy to pull off 20-25 shots a game without even trying. Defensive AI, overly negative, producing a boat load of set-pieces massively inflates it I don't even know how you can report that
  3. Buxton FC 2022-23 Transfers IN | Transfers OUT | Finances | Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 | Cups | Table | Playoffs Interesting season review... - Another great season for us! We only lost two games throughout August and September and that set up a very successful base for our league campaign. A few losses followed during a shaky October and our closing 2022 run wasn't brilliant but we were arguably even better in the second half of the season going into 2023, drawing game after game but very few losses. A disappointing March and April put our playoff hopes very much in doubt but a double header vs Barnet and Southport confirmed the inevitable relegation to the 6th tier for both sides and a backs-to-the-wall victory over York City at The Silverlands, coupled with Aldershot suffering a surprise defeat at the hands of Halifax Town, saw us into 7th place and an unlikely playoff spot after our first season in the Vanarama National. - A difficult draw away to Notts County in the first round of the playoffs, but we stunned them with a 1-2 victory. We were guaranteed another away draw in the semi-finals and our opponents were Northampton Town; we took them to extra time but ultimately they were the better team and deserved to win. Another year in the Vanarama National but we superseded my expectations so overall I'm happy. - We did pretty much as expected in the FA Cup as we beat Blyth 0-1 to reach the 1st Round. I really wanted to go far this year but we were sent to the Pirelli Stadium and so a 3-2 defeat sent us packing - not embarrassing but certainly disappointing to go out fairly early. However, we definitely made up for that disappointment in the FA Trophy. We edged out lower league opponents Biggleswade Town before consecutive 1-1 away draws and 0-0 home penalty victories over Harrogate and York saw us only two rounds away from the final. We took on Dulwich Hamlet, top of the Vanarama South at the time, and defeated them 1-0. Unfortunately for us, a 90th min penalty away at Billericay was the deciding factor in our two-legged semi final tie as we could only manage a 1-1 draw at home and got knocked out at the final hurdle. - Made yet another loss and we're over £700k in the red. Really need promotion to League 2 ASAP as there are no signs of a takeover just yet. Gonna try and arrange some friendlies vs Prem clubs to get money in the summer, however. - Youth intake ain't even worth talking about, my best is a 2/3* PA. Awful. Aims for next season are to build on this season's league finish and hopefully go further in the FA Cup, draw permitting. Season League Position FA Cup FA Trophy Europe Notes ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2020-21 National League North 10th 4QR Round 2 N/A None 2021-22 National League North 6th 4QR Round 3 N/A Promoted to Vanarama National 2023-23 National League 7th Round 1 Semis N/A Playoff Semis
  4. With a narrow defeat in the first leg, could we turn it around in front of our own supporters? No. We lost after extra time, despite leading 2-0 with 5 minutes of normal time left
  5. You should also check if you saved your game on steam cloud.
  6. Does anybody find Liverpool to be near invincible this Season? They seem to win Matches in sequence despite barely having any shot Advantage. With one of the best Squads in the DB I'm currently trailing them by 14 Points. It appears the Season is truly over. In particular if you consider how much better a shot Advantage we seem to Need to beat opponents. Some of my losses, and draws so far: 2-2 Draw against Tottenham (22 vs 3 shots) 0-2 loss against Wolves (18 vs 7 shots) 2-3 loss against Norwich (25 vs 7 shots) 2-2 draw against Newcastle (25 vs 6 shots) 1-2 loss against Man United ( 22 vs 11 shots, with Rashford "suddenly" scoring a Penalty, what coincidence) Lost the match against Liverpool despite having 18 shots vs 12 Advantage too. Lots of CCCs too in General. Surely can't be Right?!
  7. For FM19 its still the old location in your documents folder then "Sports Interactive" etc as per abovr
  8. The latest version of the graphics card driver. I cant tell you why whatever is happening in FM 19 will happen or whether it will happen again in FM 20
  9. That's an interesting Goal. Love how he's not even Looking.
  10. After some initial grumblings with the game, I've found something that works for me and can't quite pull myself away. That's Football Manager for you. Just one more game... Having played nearly two seasons with a myriad of different tactics, I feel confident in saying that this year's FM has made playing a high risk approach tricky. A few pages back, I posted the stats from a match I played that ended with nearly 30 shots a side, with about 15 CCCs between both teams. I kept the same tactic from that game and although I was winning, I was conceding about 20 shots a game, whether it was against a good side or a struggling team down at the bottom of the table. Obviously, this couldn't continue, so I thought about why this was happening and how we could tighten up and concluded my team were taking far too many risks and getting hurt far too often in transition. I made some tweaks, reduced the amount of risk my team was taking, and now have a team which creates chances without conceding a bunch. I have hit that "FM sweet spot" of around 15-20 shots and 55-60% possession per game. This isn't a revelation, but it turns out, playing with a high defensive line, high line of engagement, counter-press, counter, mixed passing and a fairly high tempo, all on a positive mentality, creates a lot of turnovers and leaves my team out-of-shape and exploitable. I'm not saying this approach can't work, but in my experience, it's been one of the most punished set-ups in this year's FM and the number of players using it and struggling seems to support that. There are some ME issues that exacerbate this, too, such as some iffy final third decision making (the tendency for a player to shoot rather than wait for a run so he can pass is a lot worse playing with a high-risk set-up, for example) and slow reaction times from defenders (which I'm currently in the process of filing a bug report about, assuming nobody beats me to it) but I'm not here to talk about them. Rather, I think a big issue is the ambiguity of the tactics creator and the advice which is given the player in-game. There's a disconnect between what the game says will happen and what actually happens. For instance, Positive mentality says its good for teams who are favourites, want to control possession and manage counter-attacks, but in reality it's an aggressive setting that sees a lot of direct passes, dribbling and shots, which are all scenarios that can lead to counter-attacks. It's a deceptive description which can trip up a lot of players because it's not clear they're taking a lot of risks by using it. What's more, that it's said to be for teams who are favourites is a misnomer because Positive and above mentalities are often used in successful counter-attacking systems, precisely because of the more aggressive risk-taking. Yet, if you wanted to build a counter-attacking system, players would instinctively choose Cautious because it's stated in-game to be a specific feature of that mentality. Cautious can certainly be used for counter-attacking, but it's not the counter-attacking mentality. It says it can facilitate aggressive counter-attacks, yet in actuality it lowers tempo and gives players a lower individual mentality. The names being changed from the old "Counter/Control" was good, but it really seems the descriptions weren't changed accordingly along with it and that doesn't help players make better decisions when building their tactics. To compound this further, the team instructions editor will show the changes mentality has on passing, tempo, width, pressing and defensive line, but these do not show up in the sidebar as active instructions. So playing on Positive, my tempo is automatically set to Fairly High, but it's only when I set it to "Higher" that it'll appear in the sidebar. In this case, it's not immediately clear to players how mentality changes their approach. Stranger still, if I play on Balanced and increase tempo to "Fairly High", it'll show up as a TI. TIs decided by the user will appear, but the ones inherent to the mentality do not, and I think that creates unnecessary confusion. This brings me on to the advice the player is given on how to approach games. My ass man will frequently suggest that I should play with an Attacking mentality, and then play with four/five attacking duties because that's "appropriate for such a mentality", but this is, frankly, complete and total bull. If Attacking already makes my team more aggressive and take more risks, why do I then need to add even more aggression and risk taking on top of that? In effect, the AI here isn't promoting well-balanced tactics - it's promoting the bad habit of doubling down and making things more extreme, which creates tactics that make very little sense. While the player is free to ignore this advice, I'm concerned AI managers are following the same logic and creating unbalanced set-ups. Obviously, there has to be some poor decisions because real life managers do the same, but there are top managers in-game who under-perform because of this (hello, Pep Guardiola). I may put this in the features request, but I really think removing CCCs and Half Chances would be a step in the right direction. What the game determines to be a chance versus what the player determines to be a chance are too far apart for those stats to be worthwhile. My more successful teams in this series have never generated a lot of CCCs, by the game's definition, yet frequently win and score plenty of goals. This alone renders the stat pointless. It's existence causes a few other issues, too. Players playing only on Key or Extended highlights (which I feel like is the majority?) may judge their tactic on the generation of CCCs, but as we're seeing now, this is incredibly misleading. The game considers most 1v1 situations a CCC, but as has been pointed out, this isn't the case in reality - 1v1s are actually harder to score than they look. Meanwhile, a straight-forward tap-in from a cut-back is often not considered a CCC in game, despite this being one of the most common types of goals scored in real life. Players who fail to convert CCCs receive a penalty to their rating, which in turn effects a lot of other things, such as their confidence and body language, and the likelihood of them being subbed (it also leads to the infuriating "he should have done better/how did he miss that?" commentary line). The game's assessment of chances is just weird in general. A player running onto a through pass to score is a routine move, but is often considered a "great solo effort" by the game and can even appear in goal of the month competitions. It seems any player that has to run more than 10 yards to get on the ball is deemed to be in the middle of a great solo goal. I have to wonder if this affects the quality of finishing at all; if it's not a case of the game deeming these chances more difficult, and therefore applying more inconsistent shooting to ensure that "great" goals aren't being scored all the time. While I'm at it - and I've complained about this before - the player ratings system is too rewarding for players who score penalties and long-shots. Any player who scores a worldie or penalty gets a significant increase despite how poorly they play. I have had striker miss every chance and give the ball away at every turn, yet still end the game with a 7.5 because they buried a pen. To say nothing of an opposition player scoring a screamer within two minutes, and my ass man telling me to close him down because "he's pulling the strings" or "running the game". This is more of a syntax issue than anything, but I do feel feedback shouldn't be attached to player ratings at all. Or, if it has to be, then player ratings should not be so easily influenced by one-off events. If this was a case of the in-game media assigning the rating, then sure, that'd be added realism. However, player ratings play a significant part in player assessment, so I hope this can one day be addressed. I think tweaks in these areas can really help make things easier for the player. Most of the time, problems come from the player not actually knowing what everything in games does and how it affects their team, which leads them to making unbalanced set-ups.
  11. Check if I have the latest version of what ?? I'm just wondering if this can happen in FM 2020 ??
  12. I know I only made a few changes like Standard Defensive line & Forward roles & what TooFortunate said as well. I'm still tweaking some things, taking on board what you said. I beat Sheffield Utd 2-1 & then lost 1-0 to a Chelsea team unbeaten in 15, after making these changes. I'll stick with this for now, I appreciate your help & will use more of what you recommended during the season.
  13. Danny Coogan is in the Walsall U23s twice. Just sent the same player on loan to two separate clubs.
  14. Season 1 - 2020/2021 A way better season than during my first try. I felt the difference after the engine change in the 1 v 1. My conversion rate went up by almost 50% reaching 12% while i got 7-8% during my first try. Played the play offs, and lost during the first round to Dulwich Hamlet 2-1. My striker, and best player, scored almost 40 goals during the season, and won a well deserved title for it. Good runs in Fa cup and Fa trophy. My finances slowly goes into the red area. After securing my players during the first year, i have a better read over their potentials. I only have 2 players good enough for VNLS, my striker and a midfield. I will try to keep them with good contracts, and i will wait the others to be close to expire at the end of the season to negociate lower wages. I managed to improve youth recruitment yeeeee but my board failed to find a senior affiliate Poor youth intake, i only got 1 youth who looks promising. I will most likely train him as a winger. Next season goal is to survive, improve finances and if it possible, have a senior affiliate and improve youth recruitment.
  15. That you never get the Norwegian squad registration right is a bit annoying. Reported in details if you read back in the bug forum from the 2018 version. There is NO such thing as a maximum size of 25 players. As mentioned above, there is a theoritical squad size, but the squad can be changed at any time. The only exception is the maximum amount of non-home-grown players. Another thing is that amateurs/juniors can only play 3 matches before they need a pro contract. What I find very strange, in both the Norwegian league and in FM in general, is what will happen if your goal keepers are getting injuried. The suddenly a shadow player appears in the squad! Really? Trying to convert this to real life, and then it's something like: If you are running out of players in your limited squad of 25, a random dud can be used, but not someone from your B-squad or u19 team. Doesn't sound right, does it?
  16. Brilliant stuff so far I’ll be following I’ve enjoyed Germany twice. With Rostock and Kaiserslautern
  17. And it keeps happening... Why is this going on from forever in FM? Situation: Playing the Norwegian league. One of my big talents is hunted by Lyon. They offer, I reject. Then, at 30M NOK the chairman accepts it. I am desperate, and try to offer him to other clubs at 50M. Bournmouth makes a bit, and I get it negotiated until they make a final offer of 28M + 20M over the next two years. But who wants to play for Bournmouth? 1) Why didn't the chairman give me an indication that I should accept bids before cutting it and decide himself? 2) Why can't I ask the chairman to consider maybe withdrawing the accept of 30M when a much better offer is on the table?
  18. Have you checked your Recycling Bin? But yea, deleting the Preferences folder can't also delete the saves, they're two different files in two different folder locations, so following the FAQ wouldn't cause your PC to delete your entire SI folder.
  19. I edited Ukraine rules and changed dates of setup, start and end of the season. But when I test it, friendly clubs from Ukraine play friendly before season setup and training camp start. How to fix it?Ot what should I change to set dates of friendlies manually?
  20. New Signing - Simon Murray I got the announcement that we can start approaching the youth players and I could only find 2 decent ones, I've managed to get my hands on Simon Murray on modest wages which is super There is another chap who requires £400k in compensation so I am hoping he just gets released and I can get round that... But if I get promoted or stay in this division, this guy looks class!
  21. Amazing write-ups! One question re: your tactic - isn't it too extreme to have WB behind W or WM, all with an attack duty? (WB/a and W/a basically have the same instructions)
  22. It's quite a bummer when you've started a network game without thinking about this setting. It's understandable that the calendar is a fixed at the start of the season, but from season to season it should be possible.
  23. Hello, I come to report a troublesome situation with my FM2020. At some point in the game, I can no longer progress, the same error always appears, and everything I tried to solve, it did not work. I need help!
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?