FM08: Official Liverpool Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Thibaud:

sorry the pictures are so big, for some reason i dont have permission to edit/delete my own posts

Yeah that's the worst thing about the forum. And don't worry some people post their pics like that.

To sell Benayoun, put him on the transfer list and set his status to not needed and offer him out over 24 months, that should generate the interest in him.

I will admit in my second season I am so sick of playing against Arsenal. I had to play them firstly Community Shield. I then had to play them in the League Cup Final. Then I had to play them away at Emirates.

I wound up meeting them AGAIN in the CL Semi Finals (with a Premier League match against Man Utd at Old Trafford wedged in between the legs). Then my first Premier League match after the CL Semi Finals? Yep Arsenal at Anfield icon_eek.gif

So I get through all that, and guess who I'm up against in the 2009 FA Cup Final....... YEP BLEEDIN' ARSENAL!

That many times in one season is flippin' ridiculous.

The only good thing is I've beaten them each time. The big result was in the CL Semis where we won on aggregate 7-1!

Got the 30 mil for Alonso, currently negotiating with Real to buy Gago, the price is overinflated (looking at around 35 mil) but I've always wanted to sign him. I have an offer for Alou Diarra on standby in case Gago falls through.

Won the treble (Prem, FA Cup, League Cup) in my first season so have a lot to live up to this season. Nearly threw away a 12-point lead so might have to tweak tactics a bit.

Anyone else find that the game gets a little boring after 3 or 4 seasons if you've been successful??

I'm in my fifth season and after 9 games I'm already 7 points clear in the league. I can't see my team throwing that away even if I went on holiday.

The challenge I set for myself at the start of the season is to see if I can go through the entire season unbeaten in all competitions. But it's just not as much fun as the first 2-3 seasons when you have to work hard for every win.

I think I'll finish this season and then start a new challenge. Maybe lower league or a Liverpool save with just the original squad - no signings - except for youth players. Anyone tried that?

I'm just in my first season and I got a host of players who wants to leave during January transfer window.

Riise wants a new challenge,

Aurelio went to Roma for 8m,

Kuyt just went to Milan for 25m pounds,

Arbeloa went to Barcelona for 12.25m pounds,

Kewell accepted a free transfer to Real Madrid.

My squad kinda thin now.

I'm trying to get Kerzhakhov from Sevilla, not sure if he's the right replacement for Kuyt.

Mike Zonneveld for left-back.

Anyone got cheap alternatives for left winger, for a stop-gap replacement.

Yes I'm having big trouble making money with Liverpool due to paying Hicks £2million a month. I've tried getting them into loads of debt in the hope of a takeover happening or a new loan with lower payments but no joy! I've got decent merchandising links but it's still not enough to cover the loan and the interest.

Someone must know how to speed up a takeover or simply make the club profitable without having to sell your best players????

I too am having this problem - won the league last season and made some money from transfers and the graph on my finance screen had shot up but within a couple of months it had nose dived again without me doing anything.

I have a Japanese and an American affiliate as well and it still doesn't seem to make any difference - does anybody know if it gets better once we move into the new stadium?

Originally posted by carlito roberto:

Yes I'm having big trouble making money with Liverpool due to paying Hicks £2million a month. I've tried getting them into loads of debt in the hope of a takeover happening or a new loan with lower payments but no joy! I've got decent merchandising links but it's still not enough to cover the loan and the interest.

Someone must know how to speed up a takeover or simply make the club profitable without having to sell your best players????

It is in the game it will take something like 250 months to py the debt off. Thus getting the club further into debt won't see a buy out. Also, what club would keep a manger who did that? Not many. You just are gonna have to deal with it.

That, or edit the database and restart the game.

Mick, you might need to look at your wages bill. That may be eating up your funds. I had some great player sales, but I was making a profit each month of barely 100,000. My wages bill was too high so I offloaded a few players and now I'm clearing around 1-2 million a month in profit (excluding prize money).

Originally posted by taylor2519:

how do a get a screenshot on here. want to show you my awesome team. icon_cool.gif

1. You will need to get an account with someone like Image Shack firstly.

2. Then go into the game and go to your team screen and press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard.

3. Exit FM08.

4. Open a program like "Paint" which is part of Winbdows under accessories.

5. Click on the past option and your screenshot should appear onm the page.

6. Save the picture as a PNG or JPG file.

7. Upload the file to Image Shack.

8. Image Shack will generate the code for you to display the screenshot here once it has finished uploading.

9. Make a new post, and insert the code from image schack in your post.

10. Click on "Post Now".

Viola, it should be here.

Hope that helps Taylor2519.

Just won the Prem for the first time with Liverpool. First time on 08 in fact. Had this team:

Reina

Hutton/Ratinho Carra Skrtel Arbeloa

Gerrard Mascherano Modric/deGuzman Benayoun/Barbosa

Torres Palacio/Gudjohnson

Hutton/Ratinho/de Guzman and Gudjohnson all new signings for me after trying and failing with the likes of Matias Fernandez/Ricardo Quaresma/Pandev. Hicks and Gillett are so hard to please.

Brought in Samuel Eto'o and Arturo Vidal, sold Modric/Gudjohnson/Arbeloa and brought back Leto and Insua from loan for my title defence but it's not going too well. 1 win, 5 draws, 2 defeats in the league. Got Gonzalo Rodriguez coming in January. He any good? Carra's starting to tail off already.

Clarky, Skrtel is only ok he is no world beater. You need to shore up your centre. What happened to Agger? He is very good and should be kept at all costs imho.

Found a better backup goalkeeper than Itanje. Sold him anmd brought in Felipe from Palmerias. Does quite well for me to spell Reina.

Only problem player is Diego who is my main backup for Gerrard. Cost me a bit to get him from Werder Bremen, but cause he is mainly used as a sub my fans are whingeing about him.

in all serious now, using croats tactic (yeah i know someone else, just been struggling with 8.01 to the point i was even enjoying it, so it was someone else or not play)

after being at the club for 6 years,

ive won

4 premierships

3 champions league

6 fa cups

and 5 league cups

yet, even though ive gone the past 2 seasons without buying anyone, and my was wages is nealry under a million of of my budget of 2 million. despite the fact new anfeild is now a 79,000 seater....................my transfer budget has been 40 million......just 40 million.............i know some of you may be thinking 40 mills good......not when im given 40 mill one season, dont spend it, transfer budget is 40 mill again, then repeated for the next two years.................just because i didnt spend my 40m one season doesnt mean im not gunna need money the next goddamit

sorry to continue what i was just saying, its

p'ssing me off that after adjusting the wage budget, letting contracts go even selling people, i can get my transfer budget upto 60 mill, but as soon as the transfer window opens again they say 40m is your budget......

wow, its been so long since i actually posted here. just got back into FM, coming towards the end of my first season

2 games left, 4th in the league, too far behind after a long mid season blip.

CL Final to play vs Real Madrid

FA Cup Final to play vs Arsenal

last 3 results...

CL Semi (A) vs Man Utd, 3-2 loss

PL (A) vs Man Utd, 3-1 win

CL Semi (H) vs Man Utd, 5-1 win

i'm playing a 4-4-2 diamond, with 2 central midfielders (AC Milan-esque)

Reina

Barragan Carra Agger Insua

Veluso

Gerard Alonso

Gudjohnson

Owen Torres

Rest of Squad

Injtande (sp) Breno, Hyypia, Riise, Ignashevich, Mascherano, Lucas, Babel, Banega, Saivet, Leto, Kone (loan) Kuyt, Keibling

a fair bit of rotation goes on. what do people thingk as i'm nearing the end of the season and will be looking for new signings

Just found this.

Liverpool will be buying Mascherano, Jeremy menez and Villa in the Summer

I have heard a few people on this site bang on about Pablo Aimar signing for Liverpool – sorry but it is not going to happen, he's past his best and a little too old now. The money it would cost Benitez is simply too much.

Daniel Opare has agreed a deal with Real Madrid and is trying to sort out a work permit, another starlet whom Liverpool have missed out on.

Liverool are thought to be seriously tracking Matias Fernandez of Villareal but it would cost £12 million to bring him to Anfield. Depending on sales it could happen.

Liverpool are in the market for not only wingers but right an left backs, preferably young. Menez has been mentioned as a possible signing and as he's a Liverpool fan it seems possible. Again though £11 million is a lot of money on potential, I would be suprised if this deal happened.

Liverpool still have first option on Sami Nasri of Marseille but his club place his value at the £17 million Mark – a price to high for Benitez.

David Villa is still on Rafa's radar. Benitez is determined to get his man regardless of cost, look for a fee similar to Torres' to lure him away.

Liverpool have enquired about Philip Lahm of Bayern Munich but there valuation of £15 million has made Liverpool look to other options for a quality left–back.

Liverpool are apparently looking to offload Kuyt and Voronin – Voronin for £1 million and Kuyt for around £9 million – however, they will find no buyers for Kuyt for this price so it's likely £6 million will be accepted. Villa will be one replacement and Babel will start as a centre forward, not a winger.

Ricardo Quaresma is on the Benitez radar an a bid of £12 million could be enough, once again though sales are the ky to a lot of deal as the signings of Villa and Mascherano permanently are going to eat up the vast majority of the transfer kitty.

These transfer are all likely to take place in Summer.

Players to come in at Anfield some time in 2008:

DIEGO CAPEL (left wing) Sevilla, MAXWELL (left back) Inter, ZAPATA (centre back) Udinese, LUIS GARCIA (playmaker) Espanyol, NELSON (right back) Benfica, DANI ALVES (right back/wing) Sevilla, DIEGO MILITO (forward) Real Zaragoza, XAVI (midfielder) FC Barcelona and K. JONES (forward) Sunderland.

and Out:

Carson, Riise, F. Aurelio, Finnan, Kewell, Crouch, Sissoko, Alonso, Voronin and Kuyt.

It is well know in Liverpool, that while Alonso is happy at the Reds, his wife is not and would jump at the chance to sign for FC Barcelona (a team his father played for). Liverpool would insist on either Xavi or Iniesta in return, with Xavi being the more likely to be allowed to leave.

Just Heard a Crazy rumour of my friend that Liverpool will make a shock signing of Arjen Robben for 16–17 Million. Other Targets for the Left Will not come off David Silva/Dos Santos. As there clubs will not sell.

Others to come in.

Robben 16–17 million

Steven Taylor £8 million

Emmanuelson £8 million

Masherano May move to Juve if so Rafa will try to land Huddlestone Or Michael Johnson.

Imagine that icon14.gif

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Just found this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">snip

Imagine that icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHA! Very funny. icon14.gif

Originally posted by jack0923:

New Roosterman, I have Adriano and Torres too. But I only play one upfront so they don't play together. Could you mail me your tactic? sounds great to get so many goals out of them two

For the tactic to work you need better wingers than Liverpool start with. I will admit I cheated to land Lionel Messi (who I play on my left wing) but in this screenshot he was out injured. The tactic -

tactics1hp5.jpg

Now I do give individual instructions. Both CBs are set to man mark with team closing down, little creativity, and forrawrd runs.

My FBs are on little creativity, run forwards often, cross ball often, run with ball often or mixed.

My wingers have simial instructions to my FBs in relation to crossing, forward runs and run with ball. They also have through balls set to often.

Xabi Alonso is set to forward runs rarely, run with ball mixed, through balls set to often. I also have him set to hold up the ball. If I'm worried about my defence I sometimes give him a farrow back towards the central defenders, and tight marking.

Stevie G has forwards runs set to often, run with ball often, through balls set to often. I tweak when necessary by giving him high creativity and all out attack.

It should be noted all midfielders are set to "team" mentality for creativity, except as noted for Stevie G.

My strikers are set to All Out Attack, normal creativity, and often for forward runs. With Torres I chacge his corner preferences to Challenge GK as if I leav it on the default setting (which is near post flick on) he often shoots the ball outside the goal mouth which looks bleedin' stupid.

Hope that haelps. AS I said you need quality on the wings. Babel is good, but you don't start with enough on the right, which is why I went after Joaquin as he was within my budget.

In my game had Chelsea come to Anfield and beat them 6-0. Their Manager (whoi boasted we weren't good enough before the game) stirred up the boys and they punished Chelsea.

Had a League Cup game against Barnsley so I used my youngsters and second/third string team. Breno, who I signed from Ajax, played as a CB and scored 2 goals!

Archived