Crossing the Stalybridge

Macca_SAFC

I knew nothing about Stalybridge Celtic. I'd only really noticed them once, my favourite team Woking beating them in the final of the infamous GLS Conference Cup, so good it was scrapped after a season. I applied for the job on a whim, spotting an advert in the Non League Paper. I felt rather chuffed when I was offered a year long contract, my application obviously impressing the board members more than that of someone who'd actually managed a football club before. My enthusiasm didn't waver when I was told I was the only applicant, if anything it made me more determined.

So then, where the hell is Stalybridge? According to their official website, they play at Bower Fold, a few miles to the east of Manchester. I wondered if we would ever fill the ground to it's 6108 capacity in my time at the club, or indeed even fill the 1200 seats.

I met Peter Dennerley, the club chairman, shortly after my long drive up from Surrey. His long speech could really be summed up in a few words - Keep this shocking team up...oh, and no, you can't have any money. I was introduced to some of the other non-playing personnel after this. Andy King would be responsible for keeping the players in good health. If he didn't achieve this with some, Daniel Johnson would be out looking for replacements. My right hand man was also part of the playing staff, Mark Atkins suited to a midfield role. He also filled me in with the recent history of the club before sending me to some old timer sitting on a park bench for some information on the club's early years.

The club was founded in 1909 by local businessman Herber Rhodes. He took a slightly dictator-like role in the club's running, paying for and designing the stadium, kits and playing whenever he was fit. The club's first success was clinching the Lancashire Combination Second Division title three years after being formed. They then went on to be promoted to the Football League, coming second behind Stoke in the Southern League. There progress was halted when some Serbian decided to assassinate some chap called Franz Ferdinand.

After a few years off due to World War One, Celtic were one of the founder members of the Third Division North in 1922. After a couple of midtable finishes, the club's lack of financial and public support led to them being the first club to voluntarily leave the Football League. The next sixty years were spent in the Cheshire County League before the Bass North West Championship was formed, which they went on to win

twice as they looked to regain their league status. Phil Wilson guided the club into the Vauxhall Conference in 1992. The club remained in the Conference until 1998, when they were relegated in a dire financial state. After a spell away from the club, Phil Wilson returned and guided them to the Unibond League Cup, the Cheshire Senior Cup, the President's Cup before going on to win the Northern Premier.

Their return to the Conference was short, Paul Wilson plus a large number of players moving to Southport as the team went down again. They again won the President's Cup and a win against champions Hucknall ensured they would be playing in the newly formed Conference North. They avoided the drop by one position, finishing 19th. They also reached the Conference Cup final, losing 1-0 to Woking.

It was clear from their position last season that I was up against it. I soon made my way to the training ground to see the bunch of no hopers I'd be managing.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew nothing about Stalybridge Celtic. I'd only really noticed them once, my favourite team Woking beating them in the final of the infamous GLS Conference Cup, so good it was scrapped after a season. I applied for the job on a whim, spotting an advert in the Non League Paper. I felt rather chuffed when I was offered a year long contract, my application obviously impressing the board members more than that of someone who'd actually managed a football club before. My enthusiasm didn't waver when I was told I was the only applicant, if anything it made me more determined.

So then, where the hell is Stalybridge? According to their official website, they play at Bower Fold, a few miles to the east of Manchester. I wondered if we would ever fill the ground to it's 6108 capacity in my time at the club, or indeed even fill the 1200 seats.

I met Peter Dennerley, the club chairman, shortly after my long drive up from Surrey. His long speech could really be summed up in a few words - Keep this shocking team up...oh, and no, you can't have any money. I was introduced to some of the other non-playing personnel after this. Andy King would be responsible for keeping the players in good health. If he didn't achieve this with some, Daniel Johnson would be out looking for replacements. My right hand man was also part of the playing staff, Mark Atkins suited to a midfield role. He also filled me in with the recent history of the club before sending me to some old timer sitting on a park bench for some information on the club's early years.

The club was founded in 1909 by local businessman Herber Rhodes. He took a slightly dictator-like role in the club's running, paying for and designing the stadium, kits and playing whenever he was fit. The club's first success was clinching the Lancashire Combination Second Division title three years after being formed. They then went on to be promoted to the Football League, coming second behind Stoke in the Southern League. There progress was halted when some Serbian decided to assassinate some chap called Franz Ferdinand.

After a few years off due to World War One, Celtic were one of the founder members of the Third Division North in 1922. After a couple of midtable finishes, the club's lack of financial and public support led to them being the first club to voluntarily leave the Football League. The next sixty years were spent in the Cheshire County League before the Bass North West Championship was formed, which they went on to win

twice as they looked to regain their league status. Phil Wilson guided the club into the Vauxhall Conference in 1992. The club remained in the Conference until 1998, when they were relegated in a dire financial state. After a spell away from the club, Phil Wilson returned and guided them to the Unibond League Cup, the Cheshire Senior Cup, the President's Cup before going on to win the Northern Premier.

Their return to the Conference was short, Paul Wilson plus a large number of players moving to Southport as the team went down again. They again won the President's Cup and a win against champions Hucknall ensured they would be playing in the newly formed Conference North. They avoided the drop by one position, finishing 19th. They also reached the Conference Cup final, losing 1-0 to Woking.

It was clear from their position last season that I was up against it. I soon made my way to the training ground to see the bunch of no hopers I'd be managing.

Our goalkeepers were dreadful. Nick Buxton could be relied upon to go slightly crazy while the balls just seemed to hit Paul Pettinger.

Darren Hockenhull would do for now as our right back and Mark Barnard would play on the left, seeing as no one else could. Mark Haran and Paul Sykes looked to be our first choice centre back pairing, which was a scary thought. Grant Black and Paul Shepherd provided cover at the back.

Tom Fields seemed to think he was assured of a first team place in a holding role - not if I could help it. His only competition for that position, if I were to play it, wasn't up to much either, Scott Willis possessing the touch of a baby hippo. Tom Baker could play on either wing as could Steve Smith. Andy Haskins, Kevin Parr and Chris Price were all central midfielders, one of them no doubt would be part of my first XI.

James Turley and Lee Elington were both strikers who could drop back into midfield if necessary. Jody Banim was an out and out striker, as were Phil Eastwood and Lee Mulvaney.

There was little doubt. New faces were a necessity.

I made a few enquries with league clubs concerning their reserves. Most were happy to offer me a stiff or two for free and we discussed terms with quite a few players. I also looked at a free agent, Owen Paynter and decided to offer him a full contract. He agreed to join a couple of days later. A striker who could also play midfield, he had an eye for goal, something we lacked with our other attackers. Elsewhere in the division, Hinckley secured the signing of once Welsh international Gavin Maguire.

Back at Celtic, Jamie Hand arrived on a free from Watford. A defensive midfielder, he had made 55 appearances for the Hornets but had found himself being loaned out to clubs such as Oxford and Livingston in recent times. Much to my astonishment, Stockport then asked to loan him for 3 months - I slammed the phone down. A squad was further bolstered by the arrival of a new goalkeeper. James Winter was never given a chance at Hartlepool and the time was right for him to move on. More clubs wanted Hand on loan, prompting me to announce to the media he was not leaving in any circumstances.

Our first pre-season game was up next as Wycombe came to Bower Fold.

Stalybridge Celtic v Wycombe Wanderers

Pre-season friendly

Stalybridge (4-1-3-2) - Winter, Hockenhull, Haran, Shepherd, Barnard, Hand, Hadland, Fields ©, Baker, Ellington, Paynter

With all of our new signings in the team, we went into this friendly enthusiastically. Wycombe were two leagues above us and likely to field a strong side, meaning we would be up against it.

Not long after kick off Paynter went close to grabbing his first goal as he headed wide a long free kick from Haran. Wycombe also came close through a Nathan Tyson header. Winter made an excellent save from an unmarked Oakes as the half ended 0-0. Shortly into the second half Mooney took on Haran before firing the ball into the top corner. It was Mooney again when Wycombe went 2-0 up, leaving the result in little doubt. That was it for the scoring as the ref brought a credible performance from us to a close.

Stalybridge 0 Wycome 2

Attendance: 102

MOTM: Tommy Mooney

We unveiled our latest signing after the game, centre back Neil Wilkinson the second player to arrive from Hartlepool.

Stalybridge v Scarborough

Pre-season friendly

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Haran, Wilkinson, Barnard, Hand, Hadland, Fields ©, Baker, Ellington, Paynter

I made one change for this next friendly, Wilkinson replacing Shephard after his move from Hartlepool.

After just six minutes we went ahead, Baker's cross coming off the unfortunate Ryan Blott for an own goal. It was end to end stuff after that, a counter attack forcing the corner from which Hand put us two up with a firm header. We were well on top as we went in at half time. Quayle pulled a goal back after some heavy pressure from Scarborough. The away side surged forward in search of an equalizer and thought they'd got it through Quayle, but the linesman's flag cut short their celebrations. With the referee checking his watch, Scarborough finally got the equalizer deep into injury time through Coulson. A first half to remember, a second half to forget.

Stalybridge 2 Scarborough 2

Attendance: 101

MOTM: Tom Baker

I was surprised to find after the game that my team had not been happy at my team talk. I was confused by this as I hadn't criticised them, encouraging them instead.

A couple of days after the game, Peter Folkes arrived from Lincoln. A centre back, his pace would help us against some of the nippier strikers in the league. Another new face was Adam Buckley, signing after being out of contract.

Salisbury v Stalybridge

Pre-season friendly

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Haran, Wilkinson, Barnard, Hand, Buckley, Fields ©, Baker, Ellington, Paynter

Of our new signings, only Buckley played as Folkes recovered from a bruised head picked up at Lincoln. Baker switched to the right wing as Hadland dropped to the bench.

Salisbury took the lead after 13 minutes when Wayne Gill's free kick went over everyone's head and crept into the far corner. It was two not long after as Phillips found time and space in the box. As we came in at half time, I wasn't happy. We didn't really improve in the second half and the players were as disappointed as me.

Salisbury 2 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Tim Bond (Salisbury)

Another free agent, Mark Lovell joined us in the next few days. He was a pacy striker and would hopefully get a few goals during his time at Celtic. Mark Haran was struck down by food poisoning, meaning he would be out for up to a week.

Stalybridge Celtic v Sheffield Wednesday

Pre-season friendly

With Folkes now fit to play, he made his debut in place of the ill Haran. Lovell came onto the bench. A big crowd was expected for the game.

The league side dominated the opening exchanges but had to wait till the 35th minute for Graham to make it 1-0. In the second half it was a more even affair and we just about deserved Ellington's late equalizer. It looked as if we were set for a draw but with time running out, Coughlan put the away team back in head from a corner. We didn't have enough energy or time to come back again as we lost 2-1.

Stalybridge 1 Sheff Wed 2

Attendance: 6019

MOTM: Graham Coughlan (Sheff Wed)

I was delighted with our next signing. Adam Griffin had played over 30 games for Oldham last season and would be an excellent left back for us.

Stalybridge Celtic v Carlisle United

Pre-season friendly

Griffin came into the side for our final friendly in place of Barnard.

5 minutes in we were dealt a blow when Jamie Hand limped off. I brought Mark Lovell on for his debut in a more attacking role. To add to that, Folkes was injured making a last man tackle and was replaced by Shepherd. We had the better of the first half and deserved our opening goal, Paynter capitalising on a goalkeeping error. In the second half it became 2-0, Baker's cross evading everyone including the keeper. Hawley pulled a goal back for the Cumbrians before then equalizing with a stunning long range drive. It ended 2-2, the second time in pre-season we'd thrown away a two goal lead.

Stalybridge 2 Carlisle 2

Attendance: 98

MOTM: Karl Hawley (Carlisle)

Andy King brought bad news from the physio room. Folkes would be out for at least a month with strained knee ligaments and Hand had twisted his ankle. He said he could give him some painkilling injections but I decided it was best for him to rest. At only 21, the injury could cause him serious problems later on in life if aggravated.

With the new Conference North season approaching, we were dealt a futher blow that Baker would be doubtful for our opening fixture after straining his neck. We also announced the signing of Simon Spender, a right back from Wrexham.

Stalybridge Celtic v Vauxhall Motors

Nationwide Conference North

Stalybridge - (4-4-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Haran, Wilkinson, Hadland, Buckley, Haskins, Price ©, Ellington, Paynter

With injuries to key players, a weakened side was forced to play against Vauxhall. I was keen to get the season off to a good start, especially in front of the home fans.

The first half was fought in the midfield, with limited chances for both sides. The second half was similar, Vauxhall having a goal ruled out for offside and Ellington hitting the post for us. As it was, the game was played out a bore draw, a fair result.

Stalybridge 0 Vauxhall Motors 0

Attendance: 361

MOTM: Saviour Darmanin (Vauxhall Motors)

Spender had bruised his thigh in that game and would be out for up to 2 weeks. The media were already asking questions about Buckley but I told them he would come good in the end.

Hucknall Town v Stalybridge Celtic

Conference North

Stalybridge - (4-4-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Griffin, Haran, Wilkinson, Hadland, Buckley, Haskins, Price ©, Ellington, Paynter

Hockenhull came in for the injured Spender as I still looked for my first win at the club.

A dream start saw Hadland fire home the opener after just 2 minutes. Both sides had chances but the scoreline remained unchanged going into half time. Hucknall turned up the pressure in the second half and the linesman's flag saved us more than once. Alas, it could not save us when with just stoppage time remaining substitute Mark Ward netted in a goalmouth scramble to equalize. 1-1 the final score.

Hucknall 1 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Alistair Asher (Hucknall)

Stalybridge Celtic v Hinckley United

Stalybridge - (4-4-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Griffin, Haran, Wilkinson, Hadland, Buckley, Haskins, Price ©, Ellington, Paynter

I named an unchanged side for this match, Tom Baker coming onto the bench as he regained full fitness. Hinckley were among the favourites for promotion so a tough game was ahead.

After some early Hinckley pressure, we won a penalty when Wooley handballed in the area. Wilkinson stepped up to slot home his first goal for the club. In the second half Hinckley deservedly equalized through McGregor's long range strike. Soon after Hinckley were reduced to 10 men, Wooley seeing red for his last man foul on Paynter. I told the team to take the game to them, and we were rewarded when Ellington headered home from 3 yards. Hinckley couldn't come back and we recorded our first win of the season.

Stalybridge 2 Hinckley 1

Attendance:358

MOTM: Lee Ellington

I was pleased with the news that Baker was now fit to play and he would be returning next game. I was unsure which winger would make way though. Also returning was Simon Spender, his thigh no longer causing him problems.

Harrogate Town v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-4-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Haran, Wilkinson, Baker, Buckley, Haskins, Price ©, Ellington, Paynter

I chose Baker ahead of Hadland as we went into this game at 2nd placed Harrogate. They were unbeaten and were sure to give us a tough game.

Harrogate hit the bar early on but had it gone in, it would've been disallowed for offside. With 10 minutes to go before half time, Paynter headered us ahead. Shortly after the break, Baker made it two, before being brought off after picking up a knock. Harrogate threw everything forward as they looked to get back into the game but a goalkeeping mistake allowed substitute Lovell to get his first goal as we won 3-0.

Harrogate 0 Stalybridge 3

MOTM: Neil Wilkinson

The result took us up to 3rd in the table, one of only two unbeaten sides in the league. Tom Baker had suffered a nasty gash on his arm but should be fit for the next match, with a break for an international duty.

The Champions League group stage was drawn. Champions Liverpool had a reasonably easy group, Anderlecht being the main threat. Group H pitted Chelsea against Barcelona once more while Man United faced the challenges of Lyon and Ajax. Arsenal would be involved in a Battle of Britain with Rangers, though both would struggle to go through together if Juventus had anything to do with it.

I announced a new signing as the transfer window closed for the leagues above. Glenn Murray was a useful striker who would most likely become a first team regular.

It was international weekend as several nations looked to keep up their hopes of making World Cup 2006. England came from behind to beat Wales 2-1, Scotland went down 1-0 to an injury time winner from Italian defender Fabian Cannavaro. The Northern Irish won 3-0 at home against the Azeris. There were no real eye openers among the other fixtures, though Russia needed an 88th minute winner to see off Liechtenstein 3-2.

I received positive news regarding Jamie Hand. He was now back in full training and couldn't wait to get back playing matches again.

In midweek, England moved ever nearer to the World Cup with a 3-0 win in Northern Ireland. The Welsh had an excellent result with a 2-1 win in Poland and Ireland had a fantastic 2-0 victory over the French. And Scotland lost 3-0 to Norway.

Stalybridge Celtic v Lancaster City

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Haran, Wilkinson, Hand, Price ©, Baker, Buckley, Paynter, Ellington

I brought Hand back into the starting line-up in place of Haskins, including a slight formation change. Glenn Murray was nursing a thigh strain and wasn't yet ready to play. Lancaster were also doing well, just one place below us in the league.

The first half was a dull affair, Lancaster having the slightly better of the game. We took the lead in the second half, Griffin's free kick finding Baker unmarked in the area to slot home. Shortly after it was two, Ellington completed a swift counter attack. With minutes remaining, Black's header gave Lancaster hope. Despite this, we held on for a 2-1 win that took us to the top of the table.

Stalybridge 2 Lancaster 1

Attendance:568

MOTM:Neil Wilkinson

We found out after the game that captain Chris Price had damaged his heel and would be spending a couple of weeks on the sidelines.

Worcester City v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Haran, Wilkinson, Hand, Haskins, Baker, Buckley, Paynter ©, Ellington

I brought Haskins in place of Price for this match against struggling Worcester.

The first half saw some good saves from both keepers as it finished 0-0. A shocking goalkeeping mistake saw us fall behind early on in the second, Wilkinson's backpass evading Winter enough for O'Connor to put the ball into the empty net. We couldn't find an equalizer as we crashed to our first defeat of the season.

Worcester 1 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Chris Breach (Worcester City)

James Winter had received a nasty blow to the head during the match and was likely to miss a few games recovering. The result meant we were now 3rd, though level top on points.

On the Monday, I made a trip down to London to see family as well as attending the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round Draw at Soho Square. With our finances not as good as one would like, a cup run could bring in some cash. I wanted a home tie and was rewarded with a visit from Berkhamsted Town. I whacked the name into Google and found that they were struggling at the bottom of Southern League, Division One East. Confident of progression, I went home a happy manager. The game would be played on the coming Saturday.

Ahead of the cup tie, we were boosted by the returns of both Glenn Murray and Peter Folkes from injury.

Stalybridge Celtic v Berkhamsted Town

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round

Paul Pettinger came into the side in place of James Winter and Peter Folkes replaced Mark Haran in the back four. Glenn Murray also made his debut in place of Lee Ellington.

After 30 minutes, the game's first real chance came as Buckley headered against the bar. It was goalless at the interval. We put Berkhamsted under heavy pressure throughout the second half but weren't rewarded, the game finishing 0-0, meaning we were off for a replay at their place.

Stalybridge 0 Berkhamsted 0

Attendance: 780

MOTM: Mark Rutherford (Berkhamsted Town)

Chris Price recovered from his heel injury to participate fully in training. I was also informed that if we won our replay, we would face the winners of the replay between Walton & Hersham and Bishop's Stortford. I was hoping for the former of these teams, having played against Walton many times at junior level. Our league match with Moor Green had to be rearranged due to our replay.

Berkhamsted Town v Stalybridge Celtic

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round Replay

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Price ©, Baker, Buckley, Paynter, Murray

Price returned in centre midfield for this game, resuming his role as captain.

Berkhamsted had the better of the first half, Pettinger's saves ensuring we went in at half time level. The second half was drab to say the least and we went to extra time. Amazingly, something actually interesting happened as Berkhamsted defender Gary Hallam was sent to the stands for a professional foul on Paynter. Eventually, the match headed to penalties. My team weren't the best at penalties and I wasn't confident ahead of the shootout.

The home side would shoot first and Baker fired well wide. Hand converted to make it 1-0 to us. The opposition goalkeeper Bruce then scored and Wilkinson missed, levelling it up. Fox then shot well wide for Berkhamsted while Price fired straight at the keeper. Talbot's penalty was Chris Waddlesque while Buckley's wasn't much better. Taylor fired well wide meaning Griffin had the chance to put us through - he hit the bar. Sudden death it was. Brockett fired high over the bar while Baker hit it. Wignall was nearer the moon than the goal. Lovell then stepped up and unlike so many before him, had the ability to put the ball in the net. A shocking display of penalty taking but it was the result that mattered - we were through.

Berkhamsted 0 Stalybridge 0 (Stalybridge won 2-1 on penalties)

MOTM: Matthew Connolly (Berkhamsted Town)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gricehead:

Good start \o/ I have a soft spot for Stalybridge, and might even get round to reposting my unfinished Stalybridge CM01/02 epic eventually... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Nice start Macca icon14.gif

Thanks Gricehead and d_s icon_smile.gif

Walton and Hersham had won their replay and would be hosting us in the next round. It was a good chance for me to visit my childhood home in Guildford as well as see how Woking were getting on.

James Winter's gash on his head had healed, meaning he was available for our next game.

Alfreton Town v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Price ©, Baker, Buckley, Paynter, Ellington

Winter came back in and Ellington took Murray's place after a couple of poor performances in front of goal.

Despite Alfreton being well on top for most of the first half, we went in goalless at the interval. With little signs of improvement I brought Lovell and Murray on to try and bring some fitter legs into the attack. It didn't get the required result as we drew 0-0.

Alfreton 0 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Ryan Clarke (Alfreton)

A strong challenge had left Tom Baker with a bruised rib, ruling him out for up to a week. Next up was our rearranged fixture with Moor Green.

Stalybridge Celtic v Moor Green

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Price ©, Hadland, Buckley, Lovell, Ellington

After three games without scoring, I decided to give Lovell a chance to impress, replacing Paynter in the starting line up. Hadland also came in for the injured Baker.

After 8 minutes we fell behind to a dreadful error from Winter, losing the ball to Davis outside the area. After the break we were level, Hadland breaking our scoring duck. Neither side could do enough to win the game as it finished 1-1.

Stalybridge 1 Moor Green 1

Attendance: 959

MOTM: Phil Midworth (Moor Green)

Walton & Hersham v Stalybridge Celtic

FA Cup Third Qualifying Round

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Price ©, Hadland, Buckley, Lovell, Ellington

I named an unchanged side for the cup tie with Walton. With the home crowd behind them, Walton were bound to give us trouble so I took the game seriously.

Despite pressuring the home side early on, we fell behind to a fluke goal from Savage. It got worse as Griffin turned a corner into his own net. Deep into first half stoppage time, Edgar made it 3-0. How on earth could we pull this one around? I switched to a 3-5-2 with Lovell dropping back and Murray coming on for Wilkinson in a bid to be more attacking. And it didn't work, as Riddell made it 4-0. This was the final score. I was absolutely furious at the team and made sure they knew this. I'd never felt so humiliated and told the team they better start bucking their ideas up or they were out.

Walton & Hersham 4 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Ryan Bell (Walton & Hersham)

England won 4-0 against Austria, ensuring their place in Germany next summer. They would be joined by Ireland, whose 2-0 win over Cyprus gave them top spot in Group 4. Wales recorded a 1-0 win in Belfast and Scotland lost to Belarus.

Walton and Hersham were rewarded for their victory with a home tie against Farnborough next round. From watching the match video, it became blatantly clear that our defeat was simply due to better finishing from the Ryman League side. I immediately looked for strikers in the transfer market to try and bolster our faltering attack. We also had our first international appearance, Simon Spender appearing in Wales U19s 3-1 defeat at the hands of Moldova. England kept up their winning run with a 4-1 win over Poland while Ireland lost 2-0 to the Swiss. Wales drew 1-1 with Azerbaijan as did Northern Ireland with Austria. And Scotland lost 2-1 to Slovenia, finishing bottom of their group.

Spender made another appearance against Russia U19s but was on the losing side once more, the Welsh losing 2-1.

Redditch United v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Price ©, Lovell, Murray

With Spender on international duty, Hockenhull came in to fill the full back position and I continued my striker rotation by pairing Lovell and Murray. I also gave Baker his return on the left in place of Buckley. With Redditch riding top of the table, this was going to be a very tough trip.

After a good first half, we deservedly took the lead in stoppage time through a Lovell header from a corner. Late in the second half we doubled our lead, once more from a corner as Hand headed home to secure a 2-0 win.

Redditch 0 Stalybridge 2

MOTM: Peter Folkes (Stalybridge)

I was stunned after this match when I was told we were top of the league! A point clear of 4 clubs, we had to be consistent if we were to mount a serious promotion challenge. The superb performance led me to ask for a delay on a transfer of a new striker - maybe we wouldn't need him anymore. In the FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round draw, we were handed a home tie against Team Bath. After our cup defeat, a Trophy run would be very welcome. We had no game at the weekend due to the FA Cup so the lads had a well earned rest. Our next game would be no easy task though, Northwich only in our league due to ground problems.

Stalybridge Celtic v Northwich Victoria

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Price ©, Lovell, Murray

I named an unchanged side for this tough visit from 3rd placed Northwich.

After 25 minutes, we took the lead through Lovell's second goal in two games. We carried this slender advantage through to half time. Just sixteen seconds into the second half it was 2-0, Ellington on target. A minute later and Allan pulled one back for the Vics, catching us unawares from the kick off. Just 5 minutes later and the scores were level thanks to Brayson. The scoreline remained unchanged as we drew 2-2.

Stalybridge 2 Northwich 2

Attendance: 1422

MOTM: Matt Garner (Northwich Victoria)

Despite the draw, we remained top by a point. Griffin suffered a blow on the face, meaning he'd be out for a couple of weeks.

Stalybridge Celtic v Hyde United

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Hockenhull, Barnard, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Price ©, Lovell, Ellington

Ellington took Murray's place and Barnard replaced the injured Griffin for the visit of Hyde.

After just a minute Hockenhull handled in the area, giving Hyde a great chance to go in front. Dudley made no mistake and it was 1-0. Captain Price went off injured and was replaced by Banim, Lovell dropping into midfield. We went into the interval a goal down but were level soon after, Baker hitting a close range free kick into the top corner. That was matched though by Hyde's Milligan, also bending a free kick around the wall. We then lost Baker to injury, Buckley taking his place on the left. Ellington levelled after a great team move with the last goal of the game.

Stalybridge 2 Hyde 2

Attendance: 1625

MOTM: Phil Salt (Hyde United)

Redditch moved above us as we slipped to 2nd in the table. The news on the two injuries was not good, Baker up for out to a month and Price for two, both suffering ankle injuries.

Barrow v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Barnard, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Buckley, Haskins, Lovell, Ellington

I brought Haskins and Buckley in for the injured Baker and Price. Spender also made his return in place of Hockenhull.

On the half hour mark we took the lead, Hadland hitting a spectacular volley. Shortly after the break Barrow levelled, thanks to a Tarrant header. Barrow then lost defender Maxfield to a second yellow. We couldn't take advantage though as we drew 1-1.

Barrow 1 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Neil Tarrant (Barrow)

Stalybridge Celtic v Team Bath

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Buckley, Haskins, Lovell, Ellington

Griffin recovered from injury to make this Trophy tie with Team Bath, replacing Barnard.

We got off to an awful start, not touching the ball before Sean Canham opened the scoring after 30 seconds. 1-0 down at the break, I tried to get the lads going. It looked to have had the desired effect when Lovell headed home but he was flagged for offside. With 15 minutes left, Lovell had a header which was deemed legal as we drew level. This scoreline remained meaning we would need a replay.

Stalybridge 1 Team Bath 1

Attendance: 331

MOTM: Mark Monaghan (Team Bath)

The replay was arranged for the coming Wednesday. Simon Spender represented his country once more in a 2-1 win over Norway u19s. We were notified that a trip to Banbury United would be ahead for the winner of our replay.

Team Bath v Stalybridge Celtic

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round Replay

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Buckley, Haskins, Lovell, Ellington

An unchanged side for this replay, hoping my team could see off Team Bath this time.

Another awful start for us as Winter's mistake let Orhue in for the opener. Soon it was two, Canham scoring a superb long range strike. We trailed at the break and never really looked like coming back into the game, crashing out to a 2-0 scoreline.

Team Bath 2 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Peter Adenyiyi (Team Bath)

It was very disappointing to be out of all cup competitions but it meant we could fully focus on our league campaign. Hadland suffered a gashed arm, meaning he would be out for up to a week.

In the World Cup qualifying play-offs, the Czechs were stunned by the Turks. After a 2-0 win in Istanbul, the Czechs thought they'd done the hard work but somehow lost 7-0 in Prague. Israel defeated Russia on away goals and Serbia progressed past Norway.

Stalybridge Celtic v Workington

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Turley, Buckley, Haskins, Lovell, Ellington

I made only one change for this game against struggling Workington, Hadland's injury forcing Turley to come in.

Just before the half hour, Workington went one up thanks to Farrar. Things got worse shortly before the interval, Buckley being sent off for kicking an opponent. Weller put the away side two up after the break as things looked bleak. With all hope lost, Winter made another mistake letting Archibald score the third.

Stalybridge 0 Workington 3

Attendance: 1192

MOTM: Brett Freeman (Workington)

We dropped down to 8th after the defeat and I fined Buckley a week's pay for his violent behaviour. He was banned for a game but this was extended to three after being studied by a disciplinary committee. I also completed the signing of Scott Kerr, a central midfielder from Lincoln.

Kettering Town v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Smith, Kerr, Lovell, Ellington

Hadland returned from injury in place of Turley and Kerr made his debut, replacing Haskins in the starting line up. Smith came in on the left due to Buckley's suspension.

After 10 minutes we took the lead, Kerr breaking the offside trap before his shot was saved, Lovell netting the rebound. Shortly after half time Kettering were level, slack marking allowing Townsend to equalize. They then thought they'd taken the lead but the offside flag halted their celebrations but Lennon's 82nd minute goal looked to signal defeat. It wasn't the case, as Lovell got his second to equalize late on.

Kettering 2 Stalybridge 2

MOTM: Steve Rowland (Kettering Town)

There was an upset in the League Cup as AFC Bournemouth won 2-1 against Liverpool. I was also pleased to hear that Hand, Spender, Griffin, Wilkinson and Folkes had all signed new deals.

Stalybridge Celtic v Leigh RMI

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Smith, Kerr, Lovell, Paynter

I made only one change, Paynter getting a chance after a spell out of the team. Ellington made way.

My decision to recall Paynter seemed to work when he put the ball in the net but it was ruled out. Undeterred by this, Paynter made his next one count. We carried the lead through to the break. Despite looking comfortable with our lead, we conceded late on thanks to Rattle.

Stalybridge 1 Leigh RMI 1

Attendance: 740

MOTM: John Brackstone (Leigh RMI)

The FA Cup 3rd Round draw threw up a few tasty ties. Arsenal were handed a trip to Liverpool and Chelsea to Upton Park. For the non-league scene, Farnborough were to host Brighton and Hereford would be travelling to Portsmout if they won their replay with Bury. The only other non-league team left in, Leyton, were a replay with Rushden away from a trip to Swindon. There was good news from the physio, Tom Baker now fit to play again.

Stalybridge Celtic v Worksop Town

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Kerr, Lovell, Paynter

Baker's return from injury was the only change with Smith forced to the sidelines.

A mistake from Hadland in our area saw Gilkes put the away side ahead. Seconds before half time Lovell had an equalizer ruled out for offside. After the break, a superb counter attack saw Hadland equalize. Neither side could find the net again as it finished 1-1.

Stalybridge 1 Worksop 1

Attendance: 752

MOTM: Anthony Jackson (Worksop)

The media were quick to remind us we hadn't won in 7 games. To be fair, these were mainly draws but it was worrying that we couldn't finish off teams. Chris Price returned from injury but his place in the team was under serious threat from Kerr. Ruud Van Nistelrooy scooped the World Player of the Year award. Neil Wilkinson was struck down with food poisoning, meaning he wasn't up to playing for around a week.

Nuneaton Borough v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Haran, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Kerr, Lovell, Paynter

Wilkinson's illness meant Haran came in for him for this game with 10th placed Nuneaton.

We fell behind to a Planck strike after 10 minutes. We were by far the better team for the remainder of the half but couldn't equalize by half time. We couldn't keep up the pressure and lost 1-0.

Nuneaton 1 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Adam Smith (Nuneaton Borough)

Hednesford Town v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Haran, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Kerr, Lovell, Paynter

I made no changes for the game with Hednesford.

Paul Szewczyk looked to have given the home side the lead early on but his strike was ruled out by the linesman. We then led as Baker got on the end of a low cross by Hadland. Paynter made it two shortly before half time. Hednesford got a goal back quickly, Szewczyk and were level through McMahon shortly after. It remained 2-2 and it seemed we couldn't buy a win.

Hednesford 1 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Scott Kerr (Stalybridge)

Stafford Rangers v Stalybridge Celtic

An unchanged side once more for this game with 5th placed Stafford.

After 20 minutes Thomson gave Rangers the lead. Soon it was two thanks to Reid. We were given a way back into the match just before half time as Hadland scored. This hope was gone after 25 seconds of the second half, Talbott making it 3-1. It returned with just 5 minutes left as Paynter headed home. I went all out for the win, Ellington and Murray both coming on. It was too late though as went down 3-2.

Stafford 3 Stalybridge 2

MOTM: Nathan Talbott (Stafford Rangers)

This winless run needed to be stopped or it wouldn't be too long before we were involved in the relegation dogfight. We were only 3 points yet 7 places from 21st, a sign of how close the league was. The play-offs were 7 points away, so not yet out of sight.

Stalybridge Celtic v Gainsborough Trinity

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Haran, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Kerr, Murray, Paynter

After not scoring in 5 games, I decided to take Lovell off and give Murray a chance up top. With Gainsborough unbeaten in 5 on the road, it would be tough despite their poor league position.

35 minutes in and we took the lead, Paynter heading home his 5th of the season. Paynter got his second just minutes later as we led 2-0 at the break. 6 minutes into the second half, Paynter completed his hat trick. It looked as if that elusive win was finally coming and it did, a great result.

Stalybridge 3 Gainsborough 0

Attendance: 325

MOTM: Owen Paynter (Stalybridge Celtic)

After the game, I received news from Woking that a loan offer for Lloyd Blackman had been accepted. I also started talks with Jake Sheridan of Notts County, whose contract was expiring in the summer. With local rivals Droylsden up next, their manager Dave Pace began talking in the local press about our team. I kept my reply short, saying I was confident of victory. The FA also notified me that Adam Griffin would be unavailable, having picked up his fifth yellow card against Gainsborough.

Stalybridge Celtic v Droylsden

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Barnard, Folkes ©, Haran, Hand, Hadland, Baker, Kerr, Murray, Paynter

Barnard replacing the suspended Griffin was the only change for this local derby. I wasn't happy with the choice of referee for the game, Mo Matadar dishing out the most cards in the division.

The first half was fought in the midfield as it finished goalless. In the second half we fell behind to Spender's own goal. That was it for the scoring, leaving me fuming at the lack of effort on our part.

Stalybridge 0 Droylsden 1

Attendance: 637

MOTM: Michael Rice (Droylsden)

There were no real upsets in the FA Cup 3rd Round, though Hartlepool deserve credit for a 1-1 draw at Newcastle. Blackman chose Dublin City University ahead of us, preferring a permanent deal to our loan offer.

Vauxhall Motors v Stalybridge Celtic

I made 2 changes for this trip to high-flying Vauxhall Motors, Griffin returning from suspension and Ellington taking Murray's place up front.

We looked to have taken the lead early on but Ellington's goal was ruled out for offside. Devlin handled the ball in the area to give us a great chance to go in front but Hand fired straight at the goalkeeper. Goalless at the interval, we lost Baker to an injury shortly into the second half. With 15 minutes left, Kerr headed in his first goal for the club, giving us the lead. It wasn't enough to give us the win, Lawton netting with 3 minutes to go.

Vauxhall Motors 1 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Paul McNally (Vauxhall Motors)

The news on Tom Baker wasn't good as we discovered he had torn his knee ligaments, ruling him out for at least 2 months.

Stalybridge Celtic v Hucknall Town

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Barnard, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Buckley, Kerr, Ellington, Paynter

Buckley came in for the injured Baker on the left.

Hucknall took the lead early on through a Gill header. Behind at half time, we levelled on 60 minutes through Buckley. With the clock counting down, Griffin was sent off for a second yellow. The game finished 1-1.

Stalybridge 1 Hucknall 1

Attendance: 392

MOTM: Adam Buckley (Stalybridge Celtic)

Jake Sheridan chose an immediate transfer to Matlock ahead of a host of offers from Conference North and South clubs to sign him in the summer.

Hinckley United v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Barnard, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Buckley, Kerr, Ellington, Paynter ©

With Griffin suspended, Barnard started against struggling Hinckley.

After 15 minutes we went ahead as Paynter scored the rebound from Kerr's blocked effort. After half time, Hinckley were denied an equalizer by the offside flag. They couldn't find the net again as we won 1-0.

Hinckley 0 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Scott Kerr (Stalybridge)

I announced to the press that league top scorer, Neil Davis, had signed a pre-contract with us. He would arrive in the summer from Moor Green.

Stalybridge Celtic v Worcester City

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Buckley, Kerr, Ellington, Paynter ©

Griffin returned for the visit from 15th placed Worcester City.

A shocking start for us as O'Connor opened the scoring after little more than a minute. We were soon level thanks to a header from Paynter. After half time, Preece put Worcester back in front. We couldn't come back and lost 2-1.

Stalybridge 1 Worcester 2

Attendance: 595

MOTM: Chris Smith (Worcester City)

Phil Hadland had twisted his knee in the game and would be out for up to a month.

Stalybridge Celtic v Harrogate Town

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Paynter ©, Kerr, Buckley, Lovell, Ellington

With Hadland injured, I brought Paynter onto the right and put Lovell up top.

Despite being by far the better team, we fell behind to Smith's header. We heaved pressure upon Harrogate for the rest of the game but it took until the 85th minute for Ellington to finally level.

Stalybridge 1 Harrogate 1

Attendance: 321

MOTM: Neil Aspin (Harrogate Town)

Lancaster City v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Paynter ©, Kerr, Buckley, Lovell, Ellington

The side was unchanged going into this one.

The game was goalless at half time with both sides failing to create any clear cut chances. In the end Lancaster won it with a goal from Watson.

Lancaster 1 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Ryan Valentine (Lancaster City)

Moor Green v Stalybridge Celtic

Our unchanged side were one down after 37 seconds, Elmes blasting the ball past Winter. Davis made it two 15 minutes later, some comfort coming in the fact he would be a Stalybridge player in the summer. Just before half time, Guppy made it 3-0. After half time, Woodruffe made it a 4-0 thrashing in what was actually quite a close game.

Moor Green 4 Stalybridge 0

MOTM: Guy Sanders (Moor Green)

Stalybridge Celtic v Alfreton Town

The side was unchanged once more as we hosted 2nd placed Alfreton.

After Lovell hit the bar early on, it was an even battle between the two teams but Winter's mistake let Stevenson score to put Alfreton ahead. In spite of our best efforts the equalizer never came as we lost 1-0.

Stalybridge 0 Alfreton 1

Attendance: 329

MOTM: Greg Smith

Things were looking very bleak as we discovered we were 19th in the league. There were 9 teams in the relegation dogfight and we were currently 3 points above 21st. I was pleased to see Hadland was fit again though Paynter would be out for a couple of weeks with bruised ribs.

Northwich Victoria v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Kerr, Buckley, Lovell, Ellington

Hadland replaced Paynter for this tough trip to Northwich.

League top scorer Allan put Northwich in front, firing powerfully past Winter. Despite Northwich dominating most of the game, we equalized in the second half through Ellington. With 10 minutes left, Byrne put the Vics deservedly back in front and we lost 2-1.

Northwich 2 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Kieran Charnock (Northwich)

We were now 20th, just 2 points clear of the drop zone. We needed to improve, and quickly.

Stalybridge Celtic v Redditch United

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Kerr, Buckley, Lovell, Ellington

The first half was...errr...dull. And so was the second half, with the game fizzling out into a terrible 0-0.

Stalybridge 0 Redbridge 0

Attendance: 324

MOTM: Mark Creighton

We moved up a place but actually moved nearer to the relegation zones, only 7 goals separating us from Hinckley in 21st.

Hyde United v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes ©, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Kerr, Buckley, Paynter, Ellington

Paynter came back into the attack instead of Lovell for this relegation six pointer with bottom placed Hyde.

After a spell of early pressure, we deservedly took the lead as Paynter's cross crept in at the far post. In the second half Ellington had a goal ruled out for offside before Hyde had Adams sent off for a last man foul. We couldn't extend our lead but it was a vital 3 points.

Hyde 0 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Neil Wilkinson (Stalybridge Celtic)

The win took us up to 17th, 3 points clear of 21st. Hopefully the win could kickstart a climb up the table.

Workington v Stalybridge Celtic

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson, Hand, Hadland, Kerr, Buckley, Paynter ©, Ellington

The side unchanged, Ellington had a 20th minute opener ruled out for offside. We then fell behind, Harris opening the scoring. Kerr equalized for us just before the break. Neither side could do enough to get the win as it finished 1-1.

Workington 1 Stalybridge 1

MOTM: Phil Hadland (Stalybridge Celtic)

James Winter had hurt his face and would be ruled out for up to two weeks. We were boosted by the return of Tom Baker from strained knee ligaments ahead of our next match.

Stalybridge Celtic v Barrow

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Pettinger, Spender, Griffin, Folkes, Wilkinson,Hand, Hadland, Baker, Kerr, Paynter ©, Ellington

35 minutes in and we led, Paynter on target. After half time, Dodds put Barrow on level terms. Once again, the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

Stalybridge 1 Barrow 1

Attendance: 322

MOTM: Lewis Dodds (Barrow)

Winter recovered from his injury a couple of days after the game. I was also called to the board room to discuss a new contract. I felt it was a bit cheeky to actually offer a lower wage but with a bit of negotiating I managed to extend my £100p/w contract until the summer of 2009. The players were delighted by this, in particular Darren Hockenhull, who went on to break his arm in training!

Stalybridge Celtic v Kettering Town

Stalybridge - (4-1-3-2) Winter, Spender, Wilkinson, Folkes, Griffin, Hand, Baker, Buckley, Kerr, Paynter ©, Ellington

Kettering were well on top for the first half of this relegation battle but couldn't find a way past Winter. They did in the second half, Anyinsah scoring. We never came to life and lost 1-0.

Stalybridge 0 Kettering 1

Attendance: 327

MOTM: Joe Anyinsah (Kettering Town)

Archived