A Promotion Winning Tactic - With NO Tweaking At All - Home or Away!

Guest Perry Groves

its surely not that amazing to win all qualifying games with the USA, their by far the best team in their region.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perry Groves: Maybe the fault lies with my own knowlewdge or lack of concerning that area of the globe. I always saw them as non starters since they never qualify for the World Cup. And it's doubtfull as to whether Beckham can change there (lack of) appertite for 'soccer'.

Maybe i was getting to overconfident with myself. I briefly tried it with tiny Conference South outfit Bedford Town and it failed miserably. But if i'm looking for positives from that failure... i believe the success behind this tactic lies with the target man.

Normally at this level i use Northwich's Mark Sale (availible for free), but Bedford couldn't afford his wages.

Also most of Bedfords first team are youth players. I did try to get other players for that role but they did not prove effective.

So maybe, just maybe, if the tactic hasn't been working for you - do you have the wrong target man?

Perry Groves: Maybe the fault lies with my own knowlewdge or lack of concerning that area of the globe. I always saw them as non starters since they never qualify for the World Cup. And it's doubtfull as to whether Beckham can change there (lack of) appertite for 'soccer'.

USA always qualify for the world cup

Originally posted by andysafc:

i believe the success behind this tactic lies with the target man.

I would agree with that. My newport team rock, but thats due to an amazing TM (Alsop 18 for heading and jumping), blackburn so-so due to Iversen, and I got fired from Sunderland cos I didnt have a decent one (Vieri and Sheringham being the only ones I could bring in during the window).

How about this amazing scenario...

My next League game was at home to Arsenal. I (Sunderland) was in 1st place winning the last 4 games. Arsenal were 2nd, 4 pts behind us but they had won their last 8 games - something had to give!

This is the outcome of the match despite having a player sent off...

bafflingmt8.png] [/url]

Originally posted by andysafc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">andysafc this is brilliant tatic ive only played like 15 games with Vauxhall Motors on the Weegie Update and ive only lost 2 and drawn 3 and won the rest, my strikers love this formation, and i bought Mark Sale and hes scored 5 goals already i bought him after 10 games. also im wondering how many leagues youve tried this in?

KUTGW

Demsey is god: You've hit in on what was happening with me. Vauxhall Motors is a difficult team to manage because they are poor to start with and hard to improve because they don't have the potencial. But then that makes it all the more sweeter when you can get any sort of success.

I've used this tactic with Lewes, Workington, Sunderland and the USA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot to add that started using this formation in pre season i lost 3 of them i shouldve won, and it took another 3 games till i won so i think in 6 games you play u'll go on to a win, (well thats what happened to me anyway)

It's hard to tell how long to give a tactic.

Half way through my second season with Sunderland i switched to this tactic and it looked poor in the EPL as i slide from a Champions League spot down to 7th. It didn't look good at all. However i stuck with it because in the UEFA Cup it was fantastic.

I'm pleased i did because in this season i'm still in all competitions and only lost one game so far, but that was against Newcastle - why couldn't have been anyone else!

Had it not been for that UEFA cup success i could have given up on this tactic.

playing this tatic with birmingham in the first season not to bad so far top after 6 games but struggling to score goals my front 3 are harewood e.johnson delgado.who would you set as the target man.this is my team at the moment

gk carroll

rb s.kelly

lb matthew taylor

cb z.knight

cb c.davies

cb m.matip(loan)

cm f.muamaba

cm s.larsson

fc delgado

fc e.johnson

fc harewood

subs jerome,mcsheffery,d.johnson,kapo,drenthe

any advice would be welcome.

Kroshot: Your defence looks spot on, i don't think you need to touch that except for injuries.

The midfield needs some attacking presence. Try and find a suitable AM and put him in the left slot of the CM.

TM - hmm a lot of people seem to swear by E. Johnson and he has done the job for me with the USA but i'm not totally convinced, propbly because i'm not used him in the domestic level myself.

When i was in the Championship with Sunderland i always tried to get Heldar Helguson from Fulham. I think you can even get him on loan and he always did a great job in the TM position with Sunderland.

Getting the TM right is hard, because some players appear to have the right stats but are not as effective. Also when they arn't effective it appears that it is the tactic thats poor.

As Celticwiseman mentions Sheringham above, i also tried him once before and it made the tatic look bad. But his stats look ok?

So if it's not working be patient and try someone else. Once it slots together it works brilliantly.

I was inspired by your opening post, but agree with those who don't particularly like your formation. I took your tactical philosophy, and applied it to 3-4-3 formations, sometimes using wingbacks, sometimes using midfield flankers. Later in the season, a 3-5-2 worked better. Anyhow, I manage Shrewsbury, (7.02) and gained promotion in 3rd place. Now games into the second season (League One) I am using a 5-2-2-1... 5 defenders, 2 centre mids, 2 wingers (either strikers with accomplished AMR/L or AMR/L with accomplised ST) and a single striker ( so essentially a 5-2-3) and we are undefeated so far, with draws against Sheffield Wednesday and Luton (relegated from C'ship) and a win against last season's L2 winner, MK Dons.

While I don't always use your formation, your tactical insight and philosphy has brought Shrewsbury a long way.

just hit a poor run of form lost 2-0 at home to everton who were 3rd bottom then lost 2-1 to fulham and have drawn the last 2 games 3-3 at home to man utd and away to bolton eddie johnson has started scoring and mcsheffery has been banging them in too.i dont understand whats wrong with my defence though were leeking goals all over the place

andy are you still dropping the d line when you are favs to win?

No, i have found it more consistant just leaving it as it is. Even low teams i seem to beat better than before.

I think your idea of changing the two midfielders to hard tackling is something worth trying because when you watch the highlights they win back a lot of possesion.

Be careful who you use though because certain players seem to get sent off every other week.

thinghs are going from bad to worse ive dropped from 4th to 12th after 5 defeats on the trot.i will admit that 3 of the games were against man utd chelsea and arsenal but have just suffered 2 home defeats to wigan 1-0 and man city 1-0.mt strikers have forgot how to score my hole squad is on poor or very poor morale is they anything i can do to save my season.btw up next sunderland(bottom of the table)away whats the betting i lose

I never worry when playing Chelsea, Man Utd etc as i feel very confident. I've been beaton twice this season (so far in all competitions) and they were to Newcastle and Everton.

Go back to basics... have you tweaked the tactic in anyway? Reload the original.

Could it be the teamtalks? Do you do them yourself, or get the Ass~Man?

lost again this time to west ham 3-0 thats 7 out of 8 ive now lost at this rate im going to get relegated morale is terrible i dont know where the next result or goal is coming from.at this point i feel this game is just to difficult.

My Sunderland team is unregonisible from the origanal Sunderland setup.

Nyron Nosworthy is a regular starter but that's about it. Bear in mind that i am in Season 3 and i have won a League Cup, UEFA Cup and Euro Super Cup as well as a 7th place EPL finish which brought in a fair amont of cash. I'll run through the players that i have later.

My squad is quite small because i try to play the same team week in week out, only changing it due to injuries or suspensions.

GOALKEEPERS:

PETER ENCKELMAN: Signed from Aston Villa for 350k. Often gets good feedback with his performances.

TREVOR CARSON: Youth Team. Top class young player who i expect will take over the No.1 slot eventually.

DEFENDERS:

NYRON NOSWORTHY: Only player from the original setup to play regularly.

PASCAL CHIMBONDA: Signed from Tottenham for 6m, can use him on either side of full backs.

ANTHONY GARDNER: 1m from Tottenham, can play left or centre.

GONZOLA PINEDA: Chavas 3.2m. I use him as CD but can also play at left back or in midfield. Now valued at 11.5m!

ROBERT HUTH: 3.8m from Middlesboro. An experienced centre back.

VALERIEN ISMEAL: Signed from Bayern Munich for just 625k. On the wrong side of 30 but a talented defender.

PAUL SCHARNER: Wigan 5.5m, can play in midfield but i use him in defence and has done a great job.

STEPHEN WARNOCK: A bargain at 2.5m who has been a consistant left back.

MIDFIELDERS

TOM HUDDLESTONE: Tottenham made a big mistake allowing us to sign him for only 3m. Many top clubs have made big offers but i have rejected them all. Young and continues to improve.

RAUL MEIRELES: Porto 2m, can defender or attack from midfield.

MATHEU BODMER: Very good AM who gets as many goals as he does MOTM awards. A pricey 8m from Benfica but more than worth it.

ATTACKERS

DJIBRIL CISSE: Only 1.2m from Liverpool but has averaged 1 goal every 2 games.

PETER CROUCH: Excellent TM, scored 17 goals from 27 games since his 7m move from Liverpool.

KEPA : On loan from Sevilla, fantastic composure for a relatively young player.

JERMAINE DEFORE: 17 goals and as many assists from 27 games makes for record 9m paid to Tottenham seem very good value.

my squad at the moment is

gk-roy carroll, maik taylor, colin doyle

def-martin taylor,zat knight,curtis davies ,oliver tebily,stuart parnaby,matt sadler,stephen kelly,royston drenthe,rafael,radi jaidi,marvin matip

mid-frabrice muamba,oliver kapo,gary speed,damian johnson,gal alberman,seb larsson,mehdi nafti,jamiec o`hara,neil kilkenny,neil danns

for-daniel de ridder,cesar delgado,gary mcsheffery,cameron jerome,nicolas frutos,marlon harewood,eddie johnson,rowman vine,mikael forssell,gary o`connor

now i know that is quite a big squad but some are out on loan and some on the transfer list what do you think my team should be for this tactic.cheers

def-martin taylor,zat knight,curtis davies ,oliver tebily,stuart parnaby,matt sadler,stephen kelly,royston drenthe,rafael,radi jaidi,marvin matip

mid-frabrice muamba,oliver kapo,gary speed,damian johnson,gal alberman,seb larsson,mehdi nafti,jamiec o`hara,neil kilkenny,neil danns

for-daniel de ridder,cesar delgado,gary mcsheffery,cameron jerome,nicolas frutos,marlon harewood,eddie johnson,rowman vine,mikael forssell,gary o`connor

now i know that is quite a big squad but some are out on loan and some on the transfer list what do you think my team should be for this tactic.cheers

Are you in the Championship or EPL?

I'll have a look at the players later but the first thing your doing wrong is having transfer listed players in your first team squad.

I believe that to get harmony in your squad you need to keep them happy. Even one bad apple has an effect on the others. Trim that squad down by alot, putting the rest in the reserves and you can call opon them when you need them.

Keeping the initial squad trim helps keep the main players happy and have a good understanding between each other (ie working together). Increasing the squad size and including the odd bad apple destroys this and has a noticeable effect on results.

But of course that is based on my opions only.

Andy

Thinking of using your tactic on my Segunda B side, do you think its usable on a lower league side? or do you need to use it with a higher level side (eg Prem team). My players are quite weak compared to the rest of the league...will this tactic help me bridge the gap (as with your 5-0 win Vs Arsenal), brilliant work with Sunderland by the way.

Yes i do think it's useable on lower league sides. But whether it works in different countrys is another matter.

I don't think it's for use only with lower league teams as my Sunderland progress has proved. I think it works good as underdog and favourites but i don't know what it would be like on really classy teams.

When you look at my Sunderland side (above) it has some good players but they arn't the creme da la creme that is at Chelsea, Man Utd etc. Most of them are players that Tottenham or Liverpool sold off (ie cast offs) but with Huddlestone, Crouch and Defore i got them playing effectively.

Kroshot: You certainly seem to have enough quality in most areas. I think your Keepers and defence should be fine.

Maybe someone with some experience in AM though?

Also in attack i would reduce the numbers and splash the cash on maybe two better players.

For me the skill in FM07 is working around the wage limit. Having players your not using seriously reduces the chances of bringing in a couple of 'very good' players that can really make the difference.

That is why i use a small squad.

just finishedd my first season i finished 10th not to bad after all.in pre-season now ive decided to try and by good english talent with the odd class overseas player.david sullivan keeps asking me for high profile signing so far ive brought

tom huddlestone(spurs)7.5m

darren bent (spurs)4.5m

danny haynes(ipswich)2.5m

giles barnes(derby)4.5m

kristofer haestad(start)1.5m

nigel de jong (hsv)1.5m

brede hangeland (fck)1m

oscar ustari(getafe)3.5m

Sir Alex obviously does not learn because i was up against him in our very next match, this time in the League

Seems i was wrong about Sir Alex! Played them twice away in League and FA Cups. Lost 2-4 and 3-4.

The name of the topic jumped out at me. No tweaking apealled to me, as I have no clue what I am doing.

I have played CM01/02 for years, but alas my wife sat on the disk about a month ago. I thought I would try out the demo for FM07. It didn't matter what team I played with, I would lose. I made the decision to not buy the game, as it was "too hard."

Then I saw your thread. I downloaded the tactic. And it works amazingly well. I started playing with Sweden and won every game before the demo ended, including a win over Spain 4-1.

Then I thought I would try a club team- Aston Villa. I only brought in three players. I needed a TM as I didn't really have a good one. I brought in Brian Mc Bride, followed quickly by Eddie Johnson (who else would an American bring inicon_wink.gif I followed that by bringing in Jay Demrit to play central defense.

I opened the season by struggling in the friendlies. I won most of them, but drew with teams that I should have beaten easily. Then it kicked in. I opened the season with a 3-1 win over Man U. It hasn't stopped since. I won 9 in a row before finally meeting my match. I was down 2-0 to Tottenham. Then Moore and McBride scored in the 87th and 88 minutes to preerve the unbeaten streak. Luke Moore and EJ are amazing in this formation. The speed of those two when added to Baros makes me difficult to beat.

Needless to say, I now own the game. Thanks Andy.

The name of the topic jumped out at me. No tweaking apealled to me, as I have no clue what I am doing.

I have played CM01/02 for years, but alas my wife sat on the disk about a month ago. I thought I would try out the demo for FM07. It didn't matter what team I played with, I would lose. I made the decision to not buy the game, as it was "too hard."

Then I saw your thread. I downloaded the tactic. And it works amazingly well. I started playing with Sweden and won every game before the demo ended, including a win over Spain 4-1.

Then I thought I would try a club team- Aston Villa. I only brought in three players. I needed a TM as I didn't really have a good one. I brought in Brian Mc Bride, followed quickly by Eddie Johnson (who else would an American bring in I followed that by bringing in Jay Demrit to play central defense.

I opened the season by struggling in the friendlies. I won most of them, but drew with teams that I should have beaten easily. Then it kicked in. I opened the season with a 3-1 win over Man U. It hasn't stopped since. I won 9 in a row before finally meeting my match. I was down 2-0 to Tottenham. Then Moore and McBride scored in the 87th and 88 minutes to preerve the unbeaten streak. Luke Moore and EJ are amazing in this formation. The speed of those two when added to Baros makes me difficult to beat.

Needless to say, I now own the game. Thanks Andy.

Bruce Willmann: Hmm - cheers icon14.gif

It was never my expectations to bring success to lots of people but i thought if i could get just one or two enjoying the game the way i am then the tactic and thread was worthwhile. I know where you are coming from because i suffered like you also and was seriously thinking about giving up altogether. This past month though has seen me enjoy the game more than ever before. Could i be a tactical genius? Nah, never - i got lucky! icon_wink.gif

I think that you have noticed the strengths of the tactic (the TM) and used it properly. The right/wrong target man can be the fine line between success and failure.

I thinking this tactic could have some kind of diablo effect when used with an international team.

bafflingzr6.png] [/url]

Look at the matches won in a row... 11. I've only managed them for 11 games! I know some people may argue that the USA are expected to win those games. But can you explain this...

fm2007pl2.png] [/url]

In those 11 games i have taken the USA from 65th in the World Ranking to 25th and i fully expect to go higher. Maybe i shouldn't speak to soon though because history shows it comes back to haunt my comments!

Have started a game with NEC in Holland using this formation. Working a treat using Eddie Johnson as target man and Denneboom and my new Paraguyan forward working on the flicks.

Great tactic. Will get some screenshots posted later. Currently 2nd in Erdevedsie.

Archived