A Promotion Winning Tactic - With NO Tweaking At All - Home or Away!

Andy,

Could you explain to me what the changes are for the favourites version of the tactic? I've had a slightly altered version that has been working well for me but as you're the grand designer of the tactic you probably understand what the changes will do to the team so I'd be keen to try your favourites version.

At the moment I'm using the updated version with the farrows on the fullbacks, but I've pulled the dl deeper, lowered the tempo and brought the passing down a notch. I've also switched the strikers crossing to mixed and cross aim to mixed, but that's just a personal thing to make their delivery less predictable.

Is this similar to what you've done or is your favourites tactic different somehow?

Loving the amount of success I'm having with this tactic, been using it for three seasons now and still working... brilliant!!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could you explain to me what the changes are for the favourites version of the tactic? I've had a slightly altered version that has been working well for me but as you're the grand designer of the tactic you probably understand what the changes will do to the team so I'd be keen to try your favourites version.

At the moment I'm using the updated version with the farrows on the fullbacks, but I've pulled the dl deeper, lowered the tempo and brought the passing down a notch. I've also switched the strikers crossing to mixed and cross aim to mixed, but that's just a personal thing to make their delivery less predictable.

Is this similar to what you've done or is your favourites tactic different somehow?

Loving the amount of success I'm having with this tactic, been using it for three seasons now and still working... brilliant!!

What you said is spot on. Slower tempo, shorter passing etc in an effort to try and control the game more than usual. Should be used against the lower teams in your division.

rolo: Come on, you only need look a few posts UP!

Andysafc: Just an update with my tweaked version. Played one season with Hamburg without buying any players - finished first second in league lost on goal difference. Won the Cup and knocked out in the semis in Euro Cup.

Just finished this season with Lyon. Predicted to finish 5th. I brought in 5 new players and stayed around 15th - 16th for the first half of the season. Once the team gelled we went crazy and ended up winning the league with two games to spare. Won the French Cup, and the French Attacking League, knocked out in semis of Euro Cup by my previous club Hamburg.

http://www.uploadfilego.com/download.php?file=692d982a2022d6ed490b7fe366146060

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/jna007/Picture1.png

Well done crazyscotsman icon14.gif

Eventually got threw my first season with Rochdale and it was Mission Acheived...

finaltablexa2.png] [/url]

Dreaw to many games but i need to remember that i took unfancied Rochdale to promotion at first attempt. Drew far to many games but didn't lose many.

If i remember right sunny didn't you completely change your defence after the first season?

Next season is going to be my big challenge because although i have gained promotion now with lots of different clubs i've tended to move on for a new challenge , now i hope to stay for what i think is a bigger challenge - promotion after promotion!

Originally posted by andysafc:

Eventually got threw my first season with Rochdale and it was Mission Acheived...

Dreaw to many games but i need to remember that i took unfancied Rochdale to promotion at first attempt. Drew far to many games but didn't lose many.

If i remember right sunny didn't you completely change your defence after the first season?

Next season is going to be my big challenge because although i have gained promotion now with lots of different clubs i've tended to move on for a new challenge , now i hope to stay for what i think is a bigger challenge - promotion after promotion!

Thats true, but i kept some of my players as backup for safety. But i had i completely new defence in league one. But i was lucky, i brought in talent who i could make stars.

My forwards was the same though and one of my midfielders. I actually got dalla valle for my season in league one.

Originally posted by sunny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andysafc:

Thats true, but i kept some of my players as backup for safety. But i had i completely new defence in league one. But i was lucky, i brought in talent who i could make stars.

My forwards was the same though and one of my midfielders. I actually got dalla valle for my season in league one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dalle Valle is usually one of the first buys I make, also look at Mravac, Boskailo excellent buys and really develop well as they get older. Solid players for any division!

It appears my sights of back to back promotions was to high. After giving me £10,000 in my first season and achieving the 'impossible' they're only backing me with £2,000 this season. I've got a few free's in, but they aren't the quality i was hoping for. I'm not giving up though, if i need to consolidate then push, so be it. In fact i'm not even concerned how long it takes me, if i can get Rochdale in the EPL with this tactic - that's my goal icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by dempseyslob:

Crazy do you find your tactic to produce better resuts than the original and favourite tactic of andys ? Also how does your tactic stand up in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Is it just as effective or like all the others does it start to dwindle?

dempseyslob: I see very similiar results to andys not a lot of blow out wins but regular 2-1 3-1. I think the biggest margin was 7-0. What I have found that impressed me the most is that I have the youth and reserve team set to the same tactic and have yet to have wither one finish outside the top 3 in with any team in any country. When I play with a team that has no reserve league I set up a full season of friendlies.

From experience every season I made a little change in my formation, nothing major, could be the name, 1 notch either way on the d-line, 1 notch on width etc anything so that every season it is not the same as the original tactic then i just sit back. When testing this tactic I tended to sign one year contracts then move from team to team but I stayed with Hamburg for 2 seasons and made the slight changes. Finished 2nd the 1st season then top the second by just adjusting the tempo 2 notches slower. It has worked for me everywhere I have played so far. Haven't yet tried it in USA. Currently using it in the 2008 demo and sitting top of the table with Manu.

Here are the big news:

wrexhameplchampionsvi4.th.png]

Wrexham are the champions in England in 2012.

Again consistency are the key, i have had my first team to blend for almost 3 years and i chose to go for it when i struggled in the championship.

So people, if you at one point think you have the team you want, then go for it!!

icon_cool.gificon14.gificon_cool.gif

One question for you all. Has anyone tried this with sucsess on the demo for 08?

Originally posted by ross21soccer:

I just want to add that I am waiting patiently to see what you come up with for FM08 if anything at all?

You made me enjoy FM07 again and despite FM08 being far from perfect I will be buying it as I think it has potential.

I'm using my version on the Demo with Blackburn> Have bought no players and currently lying second in Oct 1 point behind Arsenal

icon_wink.gif Gotta give a try with my fisher...am already in the premiersship sruggling..already in the 2022 year.. ill give you a fedback of the results sooner

wrexhameplchampionsvi4xq7.png] [/url]

That's amazing Sunny, winning the EPL with WREXHAM! I'm delighted to have been able to play a small role in that success. Is that the end of the road for Wrexham now?

I've still never returned to FM08 and until the CD is sorted i don't really want to.

I think that the CD aside, the match engine has changed a lot so it needs a different approach. Don't try something that worked with 07, start from scratch.

Still with 07 and happy myself.

That's amazing Sunny, winning the EPL with WREXHAM! I'm delighted to have been able to play a small role in that success. Is that the end of the road for Wrexham now?

I've still never returned to FM08 and until the CD is sorted i don't really want to.

I think that the CD aside, the match engine has changed a lot so it needs a different approach. Don't try something that worked with 07, start from scratch.

Still with 07 and happy myself.

Not sure, but of course winning the Champions League is a goal.

Now i have the opportunity to get depth and quality in my squad as im generating more money.

I would also like to say that i have hope for this tactic in FM08, but i have taken the wrong approach. I will now start in league one and see how it goes, and see if i can tweak it around. Dont wanna do a lot of changes but i have to take a look.

Maybe we will see sucsess of this tactic when the first patch is coming out. But i will buy the game, but i dont know if i will play it so much until the CD is fixed.

But in the meantime im enjoying my Wrexham game, Winning in my third season. Got knocked out in the 1/8 final in the CL so i want a revenge there. Im loving this!!!

Thanks andy!

Sunny You may be able to help I'm going through a rough patch

The last two seasons I have been odds on to get relegated, that was the first season, the second season I was toted at middle of the table, in both seasons I made the play offs, but failed at the final hurdle, now I'm in my 3rd season in Div one and have been toted favs to go up.

The problem is the opposition must all be playing their buts off, as I can't score, and they are getting the odd goal to win.

I bought a new target man in as my other guys are getting old, in the frendlies he was scoring for fun all of a sudden he cant hit a barn door.

I think it must be the parking the bus routine in front of goal as everybody seems to come across this when you are favourites.

I was wondering with your role with Wrexham did you go up while you were favourites and if so what did you do?

We have just got a new ground which hold a decent amount to able to cope with getting promoted, I was hoping to get there this season, but the ways going I'll be going the other way, cheers

I'm not sunny but i'll give my opinion until he gets time. I believe sunny was underdog in all his seasons thus made it slightly easier as teams did not go ultra defensive against him. Is that right sunny?

I was predicted last in all my season, except the first one. So really i dont have much experience on that. But the latest "fav" tactic from andy has helped med when im favourties or banging on a brick wall.

I think i would also use the targetman that you have used in previous seasons and use your new one as a backup when the older one dont score.

It also might help to have a more "creative" midfielder on the left in the mids, just to get another player, and maybe another style of play.

Good luck!

Andy, Sunny

I have just won 4 games on the trot, looking at the screen it looked like it was too crowded in the 18yrd area everytime we went forward, and the opposition defenders were taking the ball away from my strikers easily. So what I've done is opened up the width and for now it seemed to have worked, and funnily my target man is scoring again.

I would play my elder striker but he is injured at the moment. But your right Sunny I do need a creative player.

It is difficult when your toted as favourite the team talk has to go up a gear as well.

Well Yeading were going well til my computer decided to crash and lose me a months worth of play which included 6 games which I had won all easily to go 15 games unbeaten, and take the league lead, and when I attempted them again I was losing everyone. So I have given up on that game and going to play something random until 08 turns up and then I will decide what to do on there.

Thanks for the Tactic Andy.

Just an observation

" Targetman:

Jumping, strengh, bravery, position

You could throw in heading and finishing too, but those four are the main attributes i look for.

later in the game if you enter these 4 attributes you'll get defenders on your shortlist as possible targetman and I thought that they're great as targetman, but playing made me change my mind. To make it short- finding the right targetman later in the game became harder for me,are there any other tips? Because, I have defender that has 18+ on Jumping, strengh, bravery, position but he sucks as targetman and then I get average attacker and he's great. I dont know,totaly confused..

----

Sidestrikers:

Pace, crossing, dribling, composure.

The one on the left, should use their left foot and the one on the right, the right one.

These players have one task, to run on the ball that the targetman will win.

If you enter these attributes in the begining you'll get Cesar Delgado as your striker--- is he really better the Eto'o for example or Ibrahimovic,because you'll never get these attacker buy filtering with these attributes...

Also, by filtering with sugested attributes you'll get Perota and never Iniesta or Fabregas as midfielder. Would they really suck with this tactic?

Maaan...I hope you understood. I'm totaly addicted and just want to understand totaly what players I need with this tactic. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Al Bundy:

Just an observation

" Targetman:

Jumping, strengh, bravery, position

You could throw in heading and finishing too, but those four are the main attributes i look for.

later in the game if you enter these 4 attributes you'll get defenders on your shortlist as possible targetman and I thought that they're great as targetman, but playing made me change my mind. To make it short- finding the right targetman later in the game became harder for me,are there any other tips? Because, I have defender that has 18+ on Jumping, strengh, bravery, position but he sucks as targetman and then I get average attacker and he's great. I dont know,totaly confused..

----

Sidestrikers:

Pace, crossing, dribling, composure.

The one on the left, should use their left foot and the one on the right, the right one.

These players have one task, to run on the ball that the targetman will win.

If you enter these attributes in the begining you'll get Cesar Delgado as your striker--- is he really better the Eto'o for example or Ibrahimovic,because you'll never get these attacker buy filtering with these attributes...

Also, by filtering with sugested attributes you'll get Perota and never Iniesta or Fabregas as midfielder. Would they really suck with this tactic?

Maaan...I hope you understood. I'm totaly addicted and just want to understand totaly what players I need with this tactic. icon14.gif

Targetman

This is the most important feature on this tactic apart from the midfield. In real life Ibrahimovic dont score a lot of goals from the air. He is more of an explosive striker with speed and "surprise". But later in the game you shouldnt take a defender, i believe that then you have the money and time to search for a youngster or a striker you can "mold" into a star.

Sidestrikers

Again Ibrahimovic and Etoo are not good for this, they wont do the job the way you want to. Delgado could be better because he suits more for this tactic. One tip that have helped me is that i use attacking midfielders and then train them into strikers. Works like a charm in both my Wrexham save and Tromsø save.

Midfielders

Fabregas could suit this, but when you meat teams that are stronger than you i would use players like perrotta. Again take a look at hæstad and compare players to him. Hæstad and Perrotta would make a fantastic couple in the midfield and then use fabregas when you face weaker teams or when you want a change of play.

Hope this helps!

After gaining promotion with Rochdale from Div 3 -> Div 2 and geeting a measly £2,00 to spend i worked hard, very hard on bringing good players on frees in.

No one i signed are 'known' players as i don't believe in signing has beens who are past their best and are only interested in the money.

I signed quite a few players but i'm only naming 3 of them as some people get a bit touchy when you do squad naming. The reason i'm naming the 3 is because i think they have worked brilliantly with this tactic.

First was Morike Sako who i signed at the start of the game last season from Torquay on a free and is the best TM i have seen in the lower leagues. He was instrumental in our success last season.

Floibert N'Galula was brought in on a season long loan this term and the young DM has been outstanding already i just half a dozen games. Raffaele De Vita is a young striker snapped up on a free from Blackburn.

Last season Sako scored the majority of the goals and i really had trouble getting the other strikers to chip in, but that was due to the lack of quality available. After 7 games so far De Vita has hit 7 goals which is fantastic for a 'NON TM'.

What has surprised me the most though is that i often advised to be careful of which Nationality players you use. Sako, N'Galula and De Vita are from France, Belguim and Italy.

This is the start so far...

fm2007tf2.png] [/url]

Andy

Best yet beat Arsenal away in the fourth round of league cup at the Emerites 2-0. And they had most of the first team playing.

Closed the width down to the halfway mark, as I it was going to be a hard one.

Told my players in team talk " they had nothing to lose", 0-0 at half time, teamtalk told then at half time "I was thrilled" and the rest is history.

How the hell do you do the URLs so I can show you all.

I can't understand the issues over giving players names out, especially for this formation as you need the right kind of players.

I was wondering why hammer hadn't been on here whinging lately, looking through the bug forum he has been caught out as he was already banned lmao.

How do I take an in game screenshot of FM?

First make sure you are in FM and then press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, at first it will seem nothing has happened but..open up Paint and press " Ctrl and V" to paste in the image. Now go to File/Save As and save the image as a .JPG.

On a Mac

Apple + Shift + F4

This will save it as a PNG file.

------------------------

Uploading Screenshots

http://www.imageshack.us/ upload to this site, then just link the URL you are given

I think this is the info your after blade111, it's taken from the FAQ section.

Originally posted by blade111:

Andy

Best yet beat Arsenal away in the fourth round of league cup at the Emerites 2-0. And they had most of the first team playing.

Closed the width down to the halfway mark, as I it was going to be a hard one.

Told my players in team talk " they had nothing to lose", 0-0 at half time, teamtalk told then at half time "I was thrilled" and the rest is history.

How the hell do you do the URLs so I can show you all.

I can't understand the issues over giving players names out, especially for this formation as you need the right kind of players.

I was wondering why hammer hadn't been on here whinging lately, looking through the bug forum he has been caught out as he was already banned lmao.

Andysafc: I think on foreign players as long as they will not find it difficult to fit in it should be okay. If you have a coach or another player that speaks the language should be okay.

Update with the attached version on demo 2008> Chose Blackburn to play with just finished demo. I took the squad as is and did not buy or bring in any players on loan. Sitting in 2nd place 3 points behind Arsenal. Good news is that my reserves are sitting top ahead by 6 points and the u-18's are top ahead by 9. Will try it now either with Man Utd or Raith Rovers.

http://www.uploadfilego.com/download.php?file=692d982a2022d6ed490b7fe366146060

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/jna007/Picture1.png

Pagey

If you go back to page 13 the original download is in there, I think also on that page or page 14 Sunny gives the info of the best attributes for each position. Since then Andy has done a different tactic for lower league teams called Rochdale something which is on the last couple of pages.

To be honest its the best tactic I've worked with but and a BIG but you need to do the team talks yourself and get them right, that is my opinion anyway

I know you havn't it was Rolo that was asking for your tactics which you won the premiership with Wrexham, and if you read the above I was explaining it was Sunny that won with Wrexham, but also you had a slightly different tactic.

Cheers mate anyway

I've been reading this thread for a while now. So, decided to start a new game with Barnet in League 2 (FM2007 7.0.2).

Has worked wonders so far. Currently half way through season 1, just completed Boxing Day fixtures and am sitting top of the league!

P: 26 W: 16 D: 3 L: 5 For: 41 AG: 16 Pts:51

By far the best I've done with Barnet in the first season. Have tried them a few times before and generally manage about 5th - 10th place finish. Don't think i've ever been top before. Mind you, there is still a long way to go. Also am in the 3rd round of the FA cup after a crazy 5-3 replay win over Northampton at Sixfields!

Only brought in one loan player (FC) and purchased a new TM (good find from Finland, but poor pressure handling) along with a new DR and a MC who is managing to keep my 41 year old Hessenthaler in the reserves, LOL.

The only trouble I've found is with teams who counter-attack down the flanks with some width. So, a minor tweak helps this, just put your FB's mentality back about 3 clicks towards normal. I find it does not affect the offside trap at all.(I'm using the original version of Andy's tactic.) And also make sure your 2 MC's can work hard at trying to get the ball back, i.e.- hard tackling!

I must say the tactic gets results, but it can be excruciating to watch sometimes. All that possession given away, but hey it works!

I'll post a screen shot soon.

KUTGW Andy

I've been reading this thread for a while now. So, decided to start a new game with Barnet in League 2 (FM2007 7.0.2).

Has worked wonders so far. Currently half way through season 1, just completed Boxing Day fixtures and am sitting top of the league!

P: 26 W: 16 D: 3 L: 5 For: 41 AG: 16 Pts:51

By far the best I've done with Barnet in the first season. Have tried them a few times before and generally manage about 5th - 10th place finish. Don't think i've ever been top before. Mind you, there is still a long way to go. Also am in the 3rd round of the FA cup after a crazy 5-3 replay win over Northampton at Sixfields!

Only brought in one loan player (FC) and purchased a new TM (good find from Finland, but poor pressure handling) along with a new DR and a MC who is managing to keep my 41 year old Hessenthaler in the reserves, LOL.

The only trouble I've found is with teams who counter-attack down the flanks with some width. So, a minor tweak helps this, just put your FB's mentality back about 3 clicks towards normal. I find it does not affect the offside trap at all.(I'm using the original version of Andy's tactic.) And also make sure your 2 MC's can work hard at trying to get the ball back, i.e.- hard tackling!

I must say the tactic gets results, but it can be excruciating to watch sometimes. All that possession given away, but hey it works!

I'll post a screen shot soon.

KUTGW Andy

Pleased to see someone else enjoying the tactic, and the game, keep it up GB68, i'm sure you'll get Barnet promoted!

Crazyscotsman

Ive not tried the tactic yet I have down loaded it, but I think Andy asked you a while back, if you were using attacking midfielders rather than strikers but as far as I can remember you didn't reply.

As far as my own game is going I won div 1 with Hereford, to be honest got issed off with losing against the teams that were classed worse than me. But that seems to be an issue across the whole spectrum with beating teams that are at the lower end of the table

Sorry guys, but what tactic are we using now? is it nuneaton 5-3-2?

It doesn't matter as they are all the same just saved with different teams. The only ones that are different are named like 'Favs' etc. Despite the thread being much bigger hardly anything has changed in the original tactic from day one.

Originally posted by blade111:

Crazyscotsman

Ive not tried the tactic yet I have down loaded it, but I think Andy asked you a while back, if you were using attacking midfielders rather than strikers but as far as I can remember you didn't reply.

As far as my own game is going I won div 1 with Hereford, to be honest got issed off with losing against the teams that were classed worse than me. But that seems to be an issue across the whole spectrum with beating teams that are at the lower end of the table

blade111:

Yes: Try to find attacking wingers or midfielders rather than strikers. For example: If I ever played as manu - giggs and ronaldo would be the type of player to fill these two roles. For the striker i look for someone with good pace and dribbling skills.

The whole idea of the thread is the no tweaking part. I have found though if you are down by one goal all you need to do is lift it to all out attack and the next 3 sliders further up as well and all of a sudden you can get 3-5 goals in about 10 mins to win the game.

I ended up going back to my Yeading game after cooling down a bit following my computer crash, and well I recovered to finish third in Conference South and then win the Playoff on penalties to get myself promoted into Conference National. A bit gutted though, my team is still 200k in the drink, All the other promoted teams went professional, mine didn't. And now they are predicted I will finish dead last and saying that I need to change my entire squad to avoid relegation. Well with no money and what I already think is a good squad for my level. I have 2 top quality players for each postion, plus 6 extras. And then I also have myself the beginnings of a Youth Team seen as I now have youth and reserve competitions its no more making friendlies for every week.

Well I am only going to name one player Davis Haule, from Tanzania and he started in my squad, but if you can sign him he is a great target man, though the problem is he starts at 31 so I am guessing to lose him soon, though I now have a couple of replacements and even with consant injuries to my 7 forwards I am able to keep pulling through. I shall post some screenshots soon, including the 52 year PLAYER I found.

Archived