Bognor Regis Help needed pleeeeeease!!!!

Guys, i have started a journeyman career and have ended up taking Bognor Regis as my 1st club. Not the best club in the world and predicted to come 22nd, but as i set my experience to Automatic it's the best i can get.

Now i have no wingers so have tried using the perl tactic and a 4-3-1-2 with standard, defensive and attacking options (global mentality)

i am struggling to get players of quality as i have gone completely over my wage budget and i have no transfer budget at all. The bank balance is in the red as well. Obviously this is not ideal.

I have signed some players who have 5 stars and above according to my ass man.

Can anyone guide me to a solution for this team. Avoiding relegation is all i really want to do so i can build on that the following season.

I am using the 9.3 patch.

If you need any screenshots please just ask.

Any help appreciated.

Last game as Newport Co., Bognor trash me 6-2 -even Mr. Tardif, yes the goalie, scored :( You don't need help! ;)

This is my first time playing the division and I find very difficult to bring any decent players to the team. As it's being pointed out, try to get some good loans (not easy either), if you haven't done it yet, get a parent club, that'll help. Keep it simple with your tactics and spend some time preparing matches, looking at the scout report, what are your opponent's strenghts, etc.

Good luck!

madmike, i've followed some of the principles mentioned here, only problem is i don't have any wingers and am unable to bring any new faces in as a result of the wage budget and i have no other players to get rid of as they are all vital in the team.

Please refer to Heathxxx's "Management Approach - Lower League Edition" thread - it will help.

Hi bradrhall. I noticed that a couple of other posters have already pointed you in the direction of my thread.

It's the overall approach that I'm trying to promote with the thread, rather than just the tactic, as I prefer to build a team around a chosen tactics, rather than the reverse. The tactic I've posted in the thread may work for some people, but not for others, as it's essential if following the overall approach to get the right players for each position. That aside, the overall approach should in principal work alongside any tactic.

The difficulty you've probably got at the moment is that you're already well into the season proper. Chopping and changing tactics may not help much, so if you've got a tactic you like and are happy enough with, stick with it. You can always keep looking for the right players that will fit into it better. At the start of my Altrincham save, I've gone to the extreme of clearing my squad from the offset, as there were no suitable players for the tactic I planned to use.

Something else that I believe works well in the BSP, BSS/N is an adventurous approach to tactics. Throughout a number of releases of FM, I've enjoyed the greatest success in the lower leagues of various countries by having my teams play attacking football. I find it's easier to get away with it because although I might not have a good squad myself, I'm fairly confident thay my opponents don't either. With that in mind, I look to get my team to keep the ball in my opponents half by playing a high defensive line and an attacking mentality. With the sliders, my defensive line is normally set no more than one or two clicks lower than the overall team mentality. I've found this keeps opponents under pressure and although I can sometimes be exposed to counter-attacks, I'll generally score more goals than them.

In my current Altrincham save though, my defense was as tight as the proverbial duck's bottom. This in fairness though, had much to do with signing players who were ideally suited to the defensive instructions I set and that they were above the average quality for the league. Overall, I always suggest taking on a similar approach to my own with a new save, but if you're planning to keep the current save, things just might take a little longer as you build your team.

One thing that might be hampering your ability to sign better players will of course be the restrictive wage budget you have. I'm a tight Northerner and think that footballers these days are overpaid. When I played semi-professionally in my youth, which wasn't that long ago, I was paid 50 quid a game and 10 quid a goal goal-bonus. Negotiate player salaries and have a "top line" weekly wage you're prepared to pay a player. In the Blue Square leagues, I look for this to be no higher than 150-200 Pounds per week. (Sorry, Spanish keyboard so no "Pounds" symbol ;) ). That's one of the reasons I clear my squad early, to get rid of the over-rated high earners. I actually had a couple of players on about 500 Pounds per week, who were rated no more than 4 stars by my Assistant Manager!

Getting rid of so many players by releasing them and having to pay them compensation, unless you can sell them, will take your club heavily into debt, but if doing this at the start of a season you can get the bulk of this back by arranging pre-season friendlies against big clubs. At Bognor, games against any of the London clubs should be fairly easy to arrange and will net you about 30-40k per match in gate receipts. Four or five such matches will wipe out the debts.

Something else that might hinder your search for better players is how you set the game up from the start. My own game has all the English, Scottish, French, German, Italian & Spanish leagues selected as playable, with "load additional countries" for player data incorporating all the European, South, Central & North American, a few African and Asian players. There's a .ddt file available on the editors forum that will help with this, though I usually do it manually when starting a game. I've signed a lot of great French players simply by searching through their amateur clubs. Obviously if you've not got French leagues and additional player info loaded, you won't be able to find these players.

Hope that helps a little. Unfortunately I've no miracle tactic, as there really isn't one. But the approach to which I play the game, has always served me well with lower league clubs, regardless of what tactic I use.

madmike, i've followed some of the principles mentioned here, only problem is i don't have any wingers and am unable to bring any new faces in as a result of the wage budget and i have no other players to get rid of as they are all vital in the team.

My advice would be a little different to Heaths, personally I would implement his tactic even if you have to offer a couple of greyed out 16yr old from your youth team part/full time deals or a couple of below average players a contract from the free transfer list. Play them on the wing and start getting the team use to the set-up.

Write off this season as long as you finish the season with your job and don't get relegated which I would be surprised if that happened because you will win lots of home games regardless with Heaths tactic. Then at the end of the season you will be familiar with his style of play and can start signing players to fit the tactic and implement some of heaths other ideas like the friendly matches to create revenue then next season don't be surprised if you are pushing for promotion

Heathxxx and madmike, thanks for all the invaluable advice. Waht i have done is started all over again. I have loaded the ddt file to have access to more players and loaded the leagues you suggested heathxxx. I started unemployed and with an automatic rep. I managed to pick up a job managing Durban stars in the South African 1st Division Coastal. I think that this a step up from Bognor and the players have much better stars. It's going well after setting up the tactic heatxxx suggested and i am scoring more than i am coceding and winning games. managed to get rid of the deadwood and arranged some friendlies against the South African Premier sides. So far so good.

Im currently in L2 after 2 back to back promotions with Bognor Regis!! Completely unexpected really, i was also going to avoid relegation in the first season then kick on but we ran away with it:) I went for mid table in the conference and somehow stormed that. I have somehow stumbled on a rock solid defence.

If its any help. I play 433 with a very physical DM who closes down everything. I have scrapped any thoughts of attractive football. I played one notch down from long ball in the BSS and BSP. I have the defence fairly deep and I have individually set all the instructions paying attention to the players strengths. I have instructed my players to hit the target man who plays in the middle of the front free holding up the ball and he got loads of goals and assists. I have also got a good playmaker on a free transfer.

Get rid of Brighton as your parent club they are awful. I got offered Southampton and Portsmouth and decided on the Saints to start off with. They have some quality young keepers.

Good luck with your Bognor game anyway!! Hope you do well. I am sure my luck will be coming to an end soon as i try to adapt to life higher up the pyramid:)

Thanks for the advice strictlytrainers. Unfortunately i have canned that game and restarted with ddt. file that loads all the players. I managed to get a 1st div team in South Africa, Durban Stars. Not going to badly, but waiting for the team to settle into heathxxx tactics.

Archived