Are you rubbish too?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patje.lol:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GrimKeeper:

I have to admit im rubbish too except for the lower leagues im usually a good confrence manager hehe, but every time i stat a tottenham save i do crap in about 100 starts ive probably only been succesful probably 3 or 4 times.

luckily enough we have juande in real life hehe thank god. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, mate. I'm pretty good at the lower league management, but when I try a top or a subtop team, I usually crash and burn. Building a team and getting to the top is where I'm good at, staying there is nearly impossible for me.

I bet ya it's going to be the same with my current save. First season with NEC (predicted 12th) in Holland, I finished the season 5th with only a few players bought and loaned as a back-up. I highly doubt I'll finish above 10th next season. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah im kings lynn at the moment in my first season i went on holiday so i could manage some1 diffrent. i had a tottenham save in fm 07 when i went on an undefeted streak of 11 games which put me 2nd then went 10 games without win including 5 games without a goal we finished 8th that season lol but i always have a spurs save in the hope 1day i mite acctually win something and last more than 2 seasons haha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

I DID consider my self pretty good at this game until I read this post.

Up to that point I had won back to back titles with Aston Villa and had a 56 game unbeaten run.

Since reading your comments I seem to be infected with some sort of crapiness. My bunch of tarts just lost the FA cup final 4-1, the Champions league final 3-1 the Charity shield on penalties and the first 2 games of the league have been losses to Derby and West Brom.

The start of the new season has not been helped by my Assistant manager organising all my friendlies as a tour of Holland, which then got cancelled due to a fixtures clash. leaving me with only 2 friendlies before the season started.

I hold you ALL personally responsible for passing you rubbishness on to me. If any of you have suddenly started winning, then that is my winning streak you have stolen and I want it back! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*I'm not joking, but I've just started to put together a winning run of late.

Third in the league with Liverpool atm...

My next league match is against Man Utd (I'm certain to lose it).

I'll let you know how it goes.... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I went and lost the above mentioned match 3-2 as expected.

My next two games were:

Everton (H) 0-0 despite DOMINATING from start to finish. icon_mad.gif

Arsenal (A) 2-2 yet again dominating from start to finish, we had a player sent off early in the first half and both of Arsenals goals were penalties which they duly dispatched. icon_mad.gif

- This is what really gets my goat; playing against fierce rivals and NEVER winning despite some great displays, it's as though (for me anyway) that part of the game was built with the sole intention of annoying and frustrating the player.

Then the board and fans "Are disappointed/never beat a rival/Blah blah blah blow it out your ass..."

Never mind eh? Big Mac and fried on t'way 'ome....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

I'm ace icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go away icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

I'm ace icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go away icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm stuck with you then Chopper mate icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

How's it going?

Actually, we can't have "small talk" here, it's not allowed.

And anyway, this thread is for rubbish managers.

So go away you, you, you Ace manager, you. icon_biggrin.gificon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

I've only made it through one promotion (and it wasn't even a title) up to the BSP. Even then, I've managed only to make it through half a season in the BSP.

Unfortunately, I discover something new about the game and decide that I want to try yet another experiment.

Typically, I get drawn to clubs with a perilous or insecure finances messages. Then, I go to them and try to save them from financial ruin. I think the longest I've ever spent at one club is 765 days. I remember it was just over 100 matches in charge.

That's fairly similar to my longest game, copperhorse21.

Again, with Atletico on FM07 I finished two complete seasons, finishing 4th and then 3rd.

Here's the killer: Liverpool then removed Benitez from his position and I applied for the job (My own board and fans weren't amused).

I got the job but barely a month into the season lost to Man Utd (as always) and Arsenal (again, as always).

I quit immediately after as I'd lost heart.

I should have just stayed with Atletico because I'm Liverpool Mad IRL but on FM they are my poisoned chalice.

I do feel rather sad about that Atletico game, I was doing well. icon_frown.gif

That's fairly similar to my longest game, copperhorse21.

Again, with Atletico on FM07 I finished two complete seasons, finishing 4th and then 3rd.

Here's the killer: Liverpool then removed Benitez from his position and I applied for the job (My own board and fans weren't amused).

I got the job but barely a month into the season lost to Man Utd (as always) and Arsenal (again, as always).

I quit immediately after as I'd lost heart.

I should have just stayed with Atletico because I'm Liverpool Mad IRL but on FM they are my poisoned chalice.

I do feel rather sad about that Atletico game, I was doing well. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's why whenever i get offered a job I save it seperately somewhere else. It's always the same for me, I move up the ladder but I end up quitting the game after half a season or so because it's not 'my' team. Nearly always back to my save game as well.

This thread is me. I love FM, and everything concerned with it. I am, however, RUBBISH.

OK, I'm not complete rubbish; I can choose a good team, find good players and choose a good formation. However, I'm shamefully weak when it comes to tactics. I've never been able to make a team work with individual orders (except for my legendary Chelsea team on the old CM03/04, but that was a long time ago and not exactly the most taxing of games tactically). The extent of my tactical skill is normally choosing basic team orders and relying on world class players and luck (in equal measures) to help me out.

I mean, I would love to be the guy who can take even a mid-table team to glory - and as a Villa fan this is my FM ambition - but a lack of tactical knowledge (and patience) means this will probably never happen.

I've just downloaded the 8.02 patch so I'll load this up and no doubt start a new game with Villa - and when I go the first five league games without a win I'll quit and start a new game with Arsenal. It's always the way.

I must say i am possibly the worst manager on the planet. But i love the game! the highs, the lows!

I always start un-employed. I got offered a job at Harrogate and got relegated. I resigned, knowing i was about to get the sack. I move on to Real S.A.D. Things start well. A win in my first game. Then lost the next 9 the and drew one. I got the sack. I then went to a team called Lorca. I seen the Scarborough and Peterbrough jobs were availible and applied for both. Got the sack. I am now at a team called Freiberg and am in my second season with them. I had half of the one before. I won my first game and just won 5-0!

icon_smile.gif oh yeah

Starr_Man5:

With the right player, Villa should be a great team to use. Full of young British talent and in Lerner you've got the opportunity of getting into some big money if you're successful.

If you're good with your tactics and like to play quick football then Villa should be a hoot.

I am absolutely diabolical on FM 2008. Pathetic. I can't start Gundo's challenge as I almost always fail to keep my team up, in my hotseat games I do pathetically bad.

Annoying thing is that I don't know why. I really can't "work out" this game. icon_frown.gif

First post...

and it's confession.

Yes. I'm rubbish.

I've been playing since CM99-00

I took Blackpool to win the Premiership in 2012 in CM01/2 or 03/04, can't remember which.

I tried a Premiership team in FM2007, took Newcastle to 5th which wasn't bad.

But those are the highlights of a distinctly mediocre FM career.

Overall I recognise what you bunch of Man-huggers are saying, it's my tactics that are rubbish.

I can pick good players, both youngsters and experienced pro's that have a glorious autumn with my lower league teams. I can take LLM rejects to the dizzy heights of League 2 glory. Getting the board to decide to turn proffessional is an achievement I've been proud of with Gainsborough Trinity among others.

Other than that Lonely Blackpool achievement, four (six?) RL years ago, I have never won a division.

Perhaps the stuff I'm good at, balancing the books, assembling a balanced squad and acquiring and nurturing youngsters stand me in good stead in the lower leagues but when I get up to the Championship or equivalents I'm rubbish. I can't get tactics right. I can't get morale right and I'm forever giving the wrong team talk at the wrong time. I'm able to go on losing streaks to fall out of the play-offs on the last day of the season (or into the drop zone depending on expectations)<g>!

I'm rubbish.

GR

Just finished a season with Tottenham... 16 place.

Seems like my players only perform when they please. I critisized my star 18 year old and he got a hat trick in the next game, then went back to playing crap.

Assman's team talks in the patch are horrible.

I don't think it's anything to do with your ability as a manager to be fair. After downloading 8.0.2, (finally) I've concluded that it's an utter shambles; not because it's a poor game — in fact, I think it would be a very good game if there was any way of discovering why things don't work. This is not a rant.

FM07 suffered from this lack of feedback significantly, but it just about got the balance right and it was a tremendous game. You would think that in order for the game to evolve, SI would introduce a system that at least gives you a hint as to why your tactic succeeds/fails. It's no wonder you're rubbish at the game considering the slider system is tantamount to playing a roulette wheel. I

I honestly couldn't tell you how good I am at the game. In my first season after downloading the new patch, I finished second with Everton using one tactic/formation throughout the whole season home and away. My first impression was that it was far too easy.

So, armed with my successful 4-4-2, my brother and I decided to start our legendary online game and I chose Tottenham. Similar enough players I thought, so why not use my trusty 4-4-2 I thought. I ended up finishing 16th in the league. In one match away to Metalist (I do have the save game and screenshots) they dominated possession 75% – 25%. All kinds of weird things were happening throughout the season. I'm still trying to work out why it happened. Tactics? Could be, but it's just a logical 4-4-2. Not tweaking enough? Maybe; but I never had to mess around when I was Everton. Luck? Luck doesn't make a team finish near the bottom. Too many players not speaking English? Could be. Too many players signed in a short space of time? Could be. Flawed programming and game? Could be. But this is the only suggestion that ever gets shot down. Thing is, we'll never know. And that's the fundamental problem with the game as a whole.

With this version i`m really bad, the one i was best at was 05 although my brother was even better, he went 2 years unbeaten in the league and winning everything else year after year for about 7 years, granted it was with man u but it was still good, with this one i`m really struggling, i can`t seem to get the right tactic, which ever i create, it doesn`t work. At the moment i`m managing everton after starting unemployed, i didn`t get them first, i got wolves but didn`t do that well so i resigned and had to wait about 16 months before another decent club came up. At the moment i`m in 7 place after 18 games and in the first round of the uefa cup against ajax. I good to see that there are other people struggling with this and not just me.

I have a worse managerial record than any of you.

Last game I loaded up, I took on the England job and failed to even qualify for the European Championships! This despite being drawn into a laughably easy qualification group!

The FA only offered me the job after my flatmate Luis, who'd won the World Cup with Brazil on the same savegame, had turned down the position. On the other hand, my 'credentials' amounted to little more than winning the League Cup with Middlesbrough a few seasons back.

I'm still not sure whether my failure as England boss was due to my insistence on picking a regen from my Boro days named 'Stewart Downing', in spite of his awful stats.

Another reason for my failure may have been that I kept trying to fit Lampard and Gerrard into the exact same position on the tactics screen. Due to the fact that I was playing with the old patch, this resulted in a glitch that reduced both players' CA to zero whenever they played for England.

used to be a bit rubbish in the earlier versions, but my tactics have become so refined that i am now a very good manager, there are better than me, but i am the manager who holds the record on the records thread for highest wage ever given to a manager icon_biggrin.gif

point is you learn, you realise what works and what doesnt, and what was blind luck, you get a greater eye for signings, you really do understand what you need to do to overcome your opponents.

i have beaten brazil as togo - twice, restricted real madrid to 0 shots on target, and only 2 shots in total at the bernabeu, won a maximum 7 trophies in 1 season, taken togo to 4th place in the world cup, found some utterly superb youngsters and turned them into world class players - it doesnt come from the start, you have to be downright rubbish to start with

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by llama3:

used to be a bit rubbish in the earlier versions, but my tactics have become so refined that i am now a very good manager, there are better than me, but i am the manager who holds the record on the records thread for highest wage ever given to a manager icon_biggrin.gif

point is you learn, you realise what works and what doesnt, and what was blind luck, you get a greater eye for signings, you really do understand what you need to do to overcome your opponents.

i have beaten brazil as togo - twice, restricted real madrid to 0 shots on target, and only 2 shots in total at the bernabeu, won a maximum 7 trophies in 1 season, taken togo to 4th place in the world cup, found some utterly superb youngsters and turned them into world class players - it doesnt come from the start, you have to be downright rubbish to start with </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm torn between envy and hatred.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McClaren:

Last game I loaded up, I took on the England job and failed to even qualify for the European Championships! This despite being drawn into a laughably easy qualification group!

The FA only offered me the job after my flatmate Luis, who'd won the World Cup with Brazil on the same savegame, had turned down the position. On the other hand, my 'credentials' amounted to little more than winning the League Cup with Middlesbrough a few seasons back.

I'm still not sure whether my failure as England boss was due to my insistence on picking a regen from my Boro days named 'Stewart Downing', in spite of his awful stats.

Another reason for my failure may have been that I kept trying to fit Lampard and Gerrard into the exact same position on the tactics screen. Due to the fact that I was playing with the old patch, this resulted in a glitch that reduced both players' CA to zero whenever they played for England. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL @ the McClown post - classic icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BJT:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McClaren:

Another reason for my failure may have been that I kept trying to fit Lampard and Gerrard into the exact same position on the tactics screen. Due to the fact that I was playing with the old patch, this resulted in a glitch that reduced both players' CA to zero whenever they played for England. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL @ the McClown post - classic icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

D'you know, I just got that one now...

Magic.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Have the wheels fallen off your Liverpool game yet Starr_Man? I just noticed your thread in the tactics forum.

Are you still looking for a tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Chopper, the ususal; Win all my friendlies at a canter regardless of opposition then start the league season at the same pace.

Then about 8-10 games in everything just stops....

No goals, no performances from any player, daft own-goal-backpass nonsense, the ususal fare.

You know, that old chestnut.

icon_biggrin.gif

I have started a new game with QPR to try life at a club where I might get an easier ride (seeing as QPR are vastly richer than most other clubs around them). I've signed a few quality players and my squad (in comparison to average Championship squads) is immense.

They (the media) say we'll do well to avoid relagation but I'm quietly confident as I think the game only takes present reputation into consideration and doesn't account for my squad and/or financial muscle.

It's the easy way out to pick QPR (isn't it?), but hey, I'm guff.

Well good luck with QPR. I don't see it as the easy way out, it's good to start with a smaller team imo and learn the ropes, even if they do have a bit of an advantage over the teams around them.

If you find you want any more help from someone (me) who struggled a little at first with FM07 but managed to have a few 'Eureka' moments and hopefully now knows enough to be successful then have a read of this:

My guide to success.

You can ignore my tactic that it's linked to if you want and just use some of the other tips which I've found very useful.

If you do however want to have a go with a proven tactic and then perhaps use that to see what works and what to build on then mine that's linked in the thread has been very successful, both for lower league teams and big teams. It hasn't had that much testing on 8.0.2 but the testing it has had seems positive.

Or you can just ignore all that and spend time playing rather than reading my ramblings icon_biggrin.gif

Either way, enjoy.

I had a read over that there Chopper mate, very interesting.

I copied and pasted into my notepad for looking at again later, then I can highlight bits that I find important.

What I am surprised to read about is your thought on Individual Player Instructions (opposition) - I never do anything on this part of my tactics (really) as I never really thought they had any real effect. (Seriously - I took Atletico Madrid to 4th place on '07 (predicted 9th) then to 3rd the year after doing just that).

I figured it would be the same on '08.

I guess I was wrong!!

Told you I was rubbish!...

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

Archived