From defense to attack .. in an instant

I've always hated this in FM in every version - but it never gets sorted .. the dreaded " .. they're looking to give themselves more options in attack .. "

Effectively - flipping the Brazil mode switch - and it having an instant impact before you get chance to make your changes - you've hit your tactics button to make your changes immediately yet your 'grayed out' tactics button is teasing you as you watch the next segment of play waiting for your changes to be made. I've been done 6 times in 13 games with it .. within seconds - before your changes have been implemented - they've gone and scored in exact way you'd gone to block. Horse ... bolted ... stable door .. and all that.

The way a team can suddenly switch its entire mentality from all-out-defence to all-out-attack in an instant is riduculous - are all the players psychic and know immediately and to the nth degree exactly what the manager is asking? Or - like in real life - should it take a few minutes to get everyone on the same page ...

Ha! FM .. realistic .. right ..

Anyway - whinge over ..

Anybody got any tricks to try and avoid this .. ??

What you have to remember is that you are watching Highlights of the game so what you are seeing has already happened so your tactical changes would not have been able to affect that.

Also do what Jack said try and change you formation before they get a chance to change theirs

Thats not a problem - I usually do switch at set times .. Its the things you can't predict that get you .. Let me give an example of where it happened the last time.

Playing away at Villa .. I'm expecting a bit of a pounding .. so I set up in my most defensive formation - but make the necessary tweaks to combat the 4-3-3 Villa play (I've pretty much found out how to snuff that threat out) - Villa have the big guy from Zenit playing up front for them (Pogyrobinizt or something) - and I set up to nullify his power in the air.

I take an early lead from a free-kick and am basically toying with Villa - snuffing most of their attacks out and keeping them to long shots ..

They then switch to 442 .. Bring on Agbonlahor ..

Now immediately - I have another threat .. I have a pacey back line and am able to play a high def line - but not Agbonlahor pacey .. and need to drop it back to cover his pace ..

I'm a manager .. I see who the sub is .. it takes 30-40 seconds for the sub to take place .. a minute or so passes in the game and I STILL can't tell my defenders to drop a bit deeper and won't be able to do it until the ball goes out of play .. or ... of course .. they score with a long ball over the top and Agbonlahor burns them for pace.

Surely - team instructions should get implemented immediately (if possible) .. its takes 5 seconds to shout "DROP DEEP" and everyone knows what that means .. I don't have to give specific instructions to players .. I shouldn't have to wait for the ball to go out of play before getting my message onto the pitch.

Ok Ok .. limitations of the game .. I accept .. but surely if the game stops for a substitute the other team should get a "free" tactics setup with no delay in its implementation .. like a timeout .. Maybe something for FM 10

Watching the highlights or watching the full game - it shouldn't make any difference - every passage of play is (probably) pre-calculated before you see it anyway .. the highlights are just showing you interesting passages of play. The full game isn't "live" - its just the full game .. the "highlights" aren't recorded .. you'd have as much chance of getting your tactics changed quickly however your watching it.

It will always be a problem, in virtual or real life management, if you have set up to combat a specific system and they change it. It will always take your team a few minutes to adjust.

What will have happened is that the match would have calculated play from the moment the sub happened, which resulted in a goal. In real life, this would simply be regarded as a master substitution by the other team. You knew what to do, but were unable to get the message to the players in time. In real life you'd be able to see the sub coming on, but wouldn't be able to react by bringing your own on immediately, as there is a process you'd have to go through. However, as the sub came on you'd be able to send a message to the captain to get the team to move into the new strategy. You could then prepare your sub. What is missing is the ability to instantaneously react strategically. Nothing we can do about it for this version of FM. However, we can live in hope for future versions.

Yeah, but surely a team wide general instruction should be acted on almost immediately (ok - I know it can't be in this version) - but in real life certainly .. As I mentioned above - "DROP DEEP" isn't something that is hard to understand .. it can be acted on immediately and shouted from the touchline and noone is under any illusions - even if the time to adapt to how deep the manager means is a couple of minutes the defenders could just go back in the mean time.

There is an overall issue with the match engine which I hinted too in my first post .. The instant adaption to a new set up from teams (AI or player) without any misunderstanding or time to take on board the new instructions. In real life - a switch doesn't get flicked - and a team can't go from all-out-defence set up to all-out-attack in a blink of an eye .. players are in a routine ... habit has kicked in ... a player holding a deep position for 70 minutes and who is now in that mind-set can't just automatically put on his Kaka shirt and start rampaging up the field .. It takes time for both sets of players to adapt to instructions.

Everything is too clean and instant in FM. Every player - whether those closest to the manager or those furthest away - gets the clear instruction of what to do differently instantly without any misunderstanding no matter how complex the changes .. Playing defensive 1 moment .. all out attack the 2nd .. back to defensive the 3rd .. the more tweaks and changes the more confusion there should be .. The Dog & Duck one second .. Brazil the next.

Archived