complacency when leading comfortably

This has happened to me quite a few times but last night this complacency issue went up to a totally new level. I was leading 3-0 against one of the worst teams in the league (Spanish Primera Division) and in the second half my players stopped moving, their passing became really sloppy. They were basically standing still and watching the other team shoot at will. I ended up barely winning 3-2 after dominating most of the game. Any suggestions?

This has happened to me quite a few times but last night this complacency issue went up to a totally new level. I was leading 3-0 against one of the worst teams in the league (Spanish Primera Division) and in the second half my players stopped moving, their passing became really sloppy. They were basically standing still and watching the other team shoot at will. I ended up barely winning 3-2 after dominating most of the game. Any suggestions?

Buy more professional players.

Give more demanding team talks.

Check with the assistant feedback to see if it was a bad reaction to something you said.

Give them a hard time at half-time.

Sub them off when you notice their motivation change.

Those are some ideas.

Buy more professional players.

Give more demanding team talks.

Check with the assistant feedback to see if it was a bad reaction to something you said.

Give them a hard time at half-time.

Sub them off when you notice their motivation change.

Those are some ideas.

They are already world class or close to world class. We're leading the Primera Division

We were up 2-0 at the half. As the second half began, we kept pressing and scored another one. As soon as the score became 3-0, my players stopped playing.

The thing is motivation was "playing with confidence" for almost the entire team...

They are already world class or close to world class. We're leading the Primera Division

I meant professional as in the personality type.

We were up 2-0 at the half. As the second half began, we kept pressing and scored another one. As soon as the score became 3-0, my players stopped playing. The thing is motivation was "playing with confidence" for almost the entire team...

If the whole team was 'playing with confidence' then are you sure this was a complacency problem?

Could it be that your team were struggling for fitness and very tired instead?

Usually when a team get complacent it says so on the motivation feedback.

C.

I had a few problems with second-half "comebacks". Having looked at a few things I found that it was down the the extremely aggressive attacking style of play I employ, with heavy closing-down, runs with the ball, forward runs, etc...

Simply put, the pressure is on the opposing team to get back into the game, so you can affort to "tactically" take your foot off the gas. I know what you're seeing you might think amounts to that, but there's a difference to physically drained players and players who are "reserved".

What I normally do when I've got a healthy lead and am aware my opponents may become more adventurous, is drop team sliders back to "normal" for passing, tempo and width. I might also drop the defensive line back a notch or two, along with overall mentality. This is then employing more of a "control" approach. Sometimes I'll tick "counter attack", but it depends on the opposition.

Not comebacks per-se, but I always concede a goal in the second half if I'm leading comfortably. I think it has more to do with the tactics. The AI just tries to attack all out, and if you're anything like me, you probably didn't bother setting up the marking or the OIs against a team you would comfortably beat.

I just snap out of it then and switch to my control tactic.

Edit:

Oh, I just read heathxxx's post. Completely agree, though I always thought me not setting up the defence was the problem.

In that case, I think a few well-timed substitutions would probably do the trick?

The AI can sometimes behave in a ridiculous fashion, if you're leading say 3-0 or something like that, the AI will bomb you until a goal is scored, and then revert back to a normal style, and you start getting back into the game, I have noticed this happening a lot since the new patch, even if the opposition is 3 or 4 goals down, it will only go all out attack for one goal, it just doesn't make any sense.

The AI can sometimes behave in a ridiculous fashion, if you're leading say 3-0 or something like that, the AI will bomb you until a goal is scored, and then revert back to a normal style, and you start getting back into the game, I have noticed this happening a lot since the new patch, even if the opposition is 3 or 4 goals down, it will only go all out attack for one goal, it just doesn't make any sense.

This is something that I also have notice. AI really acts strange after last patch in some situations. My team almost freezes when AI goes with this type of aggressive play, but then suddenly after a scoring is all as before when I dominated the game. I am sure that if the AI has been paying with the same aggression a little longer they could easily won against me. It may be that they have only stamina to run a extremely high tempo and attacking for a short period of time before it is empty.

Archived