The Better Half - TTF inspired Tactical Sets - 9.3.0

Just love matches like this:D. Chelsea had all of the ccc´s in the same attack, a scramble in the box with the ball bouncing here and there before scoring in the 87th minute and apart from the goals, I had all the other chances in the last minutes wehn they went 4-2-4. Boring, boring West Ham usning 7. Defensive:p

homechelsea.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tactic set is still working awesomely for me !. Havent lost a single game yet using these tactics, which is a first for me.

Have played 28 games all together, beat teams like Man U, Liverpool etc. Surprised this thread isnt more popular, easily the best tactics i have used so far.

I have made my own Shut up shop tactic, saves tweaking near the end of the match. Also started to test these tactics with Exeter City to see how well they do for lower league teams, may make a few tweaks to suit the team.

So far so good, Highly recommended from me !!

Just love matches like this:D. Chelsea had all of the ccc´s in the same attack, a scramble in the box with the ball bouncing here and there before scoring in the 87th minute and apart from the goals, I had all the other chances in the last minutes wehn they went 4-2-4. Boring, boring West Ham usning 7. Defensive:p

homechelsea.png

This pretty much sums up where a lot of people get it wrong. Most people would never use defensive at home and would see the Balanced as the most defensive they would use.

I have had quite a bit of success with little Hyde United in the BSN. Love this tactic set. Using the scout reports is useful too. Knowing whether a team is likely to play Counter is essential. Play balanced against them not attacking.

Awesome opening post, tempted to try this now :D

Thank you. I am currently also working on a tweak, trying to pin it down to 6 versions. Also doing a 4132, 41221, 4231 and a 4411 set, all based on the 442 Set and target man will be optional

Thank you. I am currently also working on a tweak, trying to pin it down to 6 versions. Also doing a 4132, 41221, 4231 and a 4411 set, all based on the 442 Set and target man will be optional

I'm about to release another tactic so will be trying to emulate your opening post :D So far I have two versions, a home and away version and I am not sure if I need any more yet. I think there is a point were you become too locked down into "Must create formations" mode, sometimes it can be over-done. Not saying yours is, but I disagree slightly with the "I need 5 versions", the situation needs to be assessed first.

I'm about to release another tactic so will be trying to emulate your opening post :D So far I have two versions, a home and away version and I am not sure if I need any more yet. I think there is a point were you become too locked down into "Must create formations" mode, sometimes it can be over-done. Not saying yours is, but I disagree slightly with the "I need 5 versions", the situation needs to be assessed first.

Sounds like a good plan as one should never construct things just for the sake of it.:thup:

For me, these versions have to be in a published set that are to be labelled "for all teams", but only if they are well constructed and done with considered though

1 - Standard ( Balanced)

2 - A more attacking version ( Attack)

3- A more defensive ( Counter)

4. A slow breakdown ( Control)

5. A very defensive that keeps possession ( Defensive or SUS)

is it possible to use this without the OI? Will it still be successful?

No. But when looking at the versions, think about the reasoning behind the OI in bold.

Example: - If you playing against a very defensive opposition that plays with many men behind the ball, you have to close down their advanced players when they hold the ball, awaiting their team mates to slowly push up the field

I am having success with this. I have used this (TBH), TTF and tweaked with my own knowledge with the players I have.

Just one thing. I'm usually okay when holding onto a lead, BUT, just now and a few other times I have not.

Just played Blackpool away. Im Bournemouth. I went 3-0 by HT using balanced (tweaked).

So, being 3-0 up I tried to slow things down etc. Im not blaming the ME here. But there was absolutely nothing I could do when their HT talk gave them a 3-3 draw at FT !!!!

I used your tips re countering a 4-2-4 and they still got a f**king equaliser!

All I did was slower the tempo down, shorter passing, less FWR, ever so slightly defensive to preserve my lead but ZILCH.

Does make me mad.

Apart from that its all good, but when Im cruising I miss on on valuable 3 pts.

So, being 3-0 up I tried to slow things down etc. I'm not blaming the ME here. But there was absolutely nothing I could do when their HT talk gave them a 3-3 draw at FT !!!!

What did you do to slow things down?If you only tweaked tempo it could have been the cause since we would be playing to slow with too many fwruns, making half the team sit deep with the ball and the rest of the boys being too far up the field. Together with using a target man to run on to ball, he will already have taken his movement and would now be standing still.

Hiya TBH.. great tactic set :)

Iv started with Spurs and ust wondering with spurs aiming for a top 8 finish, what tactic would you go for against teams such as Pompey or Fulham.. i.e. middle table teams. home and away would be useful ;)

thanks alot KUTGW

Against Fulham at home - see ther 3:rd game in the happy hammer project

------------------away - Would probably be playing Attack away or Defensove using heavy OI

Pompey( 41221 ?) - home - I would start with Balanced using heavy OI and switch to Attack home in halftime if 0-0 or 1-0. I would also, if their DMC have to o much time on the ball) consider removing the target man from the list and put the FCR on man marking on him. Also make sure to put your midfielders on zonal

-----away - Counter - Zonal marking in midfield

Hey

Just started using your tactic. Finding it very exciting. Im playing as Leeds, signed a few players to try and meet the needs or the playing stats you recommend, but obviously no Ronaldos in my team!!

Got off to a solid start to the season, yet to lose in the league. Results so far:

Bristol Rovers (H) 2-0 win

Grimsby (H) 2-0 win (LC rnd1)

Peterborough (H) 3-1 win

Crewe (A) 2-0 win

West Brom (H) 1-1 (10-11 pens) lost (LC rnd2)

Southend (A) 2-2 (was up 2-0)

Darlington (A) 1-1 (8-7 pens) win (JPT rnd1)

Scunthorpe (A) 2-1 win

Stockport (H) 2-1 win

Carlisle (H) 2-1 win

Tranmere (A) 2-2 (was up 2-0)

Scunthorpe (H) 2-2 (13-14 pens) lost (JPT rnd2) - was up 2-0

Hereford (H) 1-0 win

Ive suffered a few injuries to key defenders, but i seem to be conceding cheap goals.

All three games that ive drew 2-2 i was leading 2-0. Conceding late goals, normally at the end of the halves. Computer hasnt really changed to 4-2-4 on me yet, most opting with 4-3-3. Still learning the tactic and trying to discover what tactic to play when. Have found i lack a natural AM when i change to the control/overload tactic.

Any tips on how to cut out the late goals, maybe shut up shop a bit when im 2-0 up.. cheers mate and thanks for the tactic. keep up the good work

Hey

Any tips on how to cut out the late goals, maybe shut up shop a bit when I'm 2-0 up.. cheers mate and thanks for the tactic. keep up the good work

/..../ Have found i lack a natural AM when i change to the control/overload tactic.

If you are using Balanced - Counter or Defensive, remember that the whole midfield is on man-marking. If the AI pushes their Wingers forward and have the Fbs up there to support them, you have to use Zonal instead( on your wingers) as they will sit too deep. Other things that spring to mind is that the AI might have done some formation/sub changes that will screw up the man-man marking, have a look there as well. Also remember to sub your Target man if he is tired as you otherwise will loose possession to soon

I would not worry too much about not having a player who is natural in AMC. I did not have one with my West Ham save, I just made sure that he had the goals in him and being good in the air

What did you do to slow things down?If you only tweaked tempo it could have been the cause since we would be playing to slow with too many fwruns, making half the team sit deep with the ball and the rest of the boys being too far up the field. Together with using a target man to run on to ball, he will already have taken his movement and would now be standing still.

Well re the above, (stated underneath OP) temp, also took fwr off.

Anyhow, another example just now. At home v QPR (they are good 2nd!)

Fantastic start 3-0 up! Yipee. No probs there, I have a fantastic formation and tactics set up, no complaints.

Again after HT, i decide not to tinker too much. I then realise their FB were getting on the ball a bit, so I got my wingers to man mark them and used OI. Did work, all was quiet. (maybe should have done this at HT though?)

But to be fair, again they f**king equalised again. Jesus, from 3-0 down. I will figure this out for my self its a challenge but very very frustrating.

It can be very unforgiving at times. I hate to blame the match engine and I still refuse to, its not that.

Its just so hard to counter. Now I hate being 3-0 up, I crumble and literally scared to give a HT talk to the lads.

Whatever I do they always seem to come back!!!!???

Hm. Can´T say that I´v been there myself though I know that being 3-0 up always seems to trigger the worst kind of of complacency.I have conceded letting them back in t the game but not 2 and certainly not 3 goals. Could it be the h.t team-talk ?

Hm. Can´T say that I´v been there myself though I know that being 3-0 up always seems to trigger the worst kind of of complacency.I have conceded letting them back in t the game but not 2 and certainly not 3 goals. Could it be the h.t team-talk ?

I try and keep it very simple and sensible. I also look at my teams motivation to judge my team talks etc i.e. if players are on "complacency", motivated etc etc.

This has really only happened recently. Maybe Im beating them good and proper now and the AI is stepping their game up on me ???

Never really had this problem before in all honesty.

I dont like to defend too much, due to too much soaking up of pressure, but then again I dont obviously want to stick to too much attacking. However, I was using my own balanced version.

I think next time this situation occurs Im gonna use a DMC and deepen my DL and tweak slightly...

With my first game, i started Attack home, but then i conceded quite early on. After the 30minute mark with Everton looking to Score again, i changed to Balanced which seemed to work all the way through untill the 60th when they doubled the lead. So i decided to put on Overload with 15minutes remaining as a last hope. Well in the last 10minutes i scored two to drag it back to end as a draw.

The Game against Everton was going to be a hard one as me (Aston Villa) are a low EPL side. So i was quite happy with the result.

The next game is against Sunderland away, going to try Attack Away Then changing to Counter at H/T.

But ultimately the tactics look great. The amount of work you have put in TheBetterHalf is outstanding, you deserve a Cookie :)

With my first game, i started Attack home, but then i conceded quite early on. After the 30minute mark with Everton looking to Score again, i changed to Balanced which seemed to work all the way through untill the 60th when they doubled the lead. So i decided to put on Overload with 15minutes remaining as a last hope. Well in the last 10minutes i scored two to drag it back to end as a draw.

The Game against Everton was going to be a hard one as me (Aston Villa) are a low EPL side. So i was quite happy with the result.

The next game is against Sunderland away, going to try Attack Away Then changing to Counter at H/T.

But ultimately the tactics look great. The amount of work you have put in TheBetterHalf is outstanding, you deserve a Cookie :)

Looking forward on your feedback with Villa, though if this is the first season, I disagree with you on Villa being a low EPL side

THB,could you tell us in detail please what kind of player ATT we need,ex DR tackling,pace DC tackling jumping,MC passing etc.What kind of team talks do you give,much appreciated

I will go into more detail on recommendations when I upload the other sets/formations( a 41221 42121, 4231, 41311, 4321, 4411, 4141, 4132,. 442diamond, 352 ) based on this set, making this into my tactical center thread. As for now, there are some specifications in the OP that i think are enough

Team talks: When beta testing I let my ass man do them but when playing a full time save I tend to be supportive as well as demanding.

Looking forward on your feedback with Villa, though if this is the first season, I disagree with you on Villa being a low EPL side

Its the 10th season matey :)

O'Niell decided to nose dive them to the championship!

The Sunderland Game went poorly, trying counter which didnt get me very far and 2-0 down. So at half time i changed it to balanced still to no avill, so with 10minutes left Overloud took over, which seen my team play better but still not score. So a 2-0 Loss. Not Too Bad Really.

Got a League Cup Game against Petersbrough next, So lets see if i can demolish them.

Surprise more people haven't looked into this set. I was having great success with 'SexyFootball' tactic until the new patch. Began using the 'Defensive' set with my League 1 Stafford Rangers then slowly added 'Control' and 'Attack Away', all with great success. Currently unbeaten in the last 12 games and am top of League 1 in 2015. This works well with a lower league squad and the fact that you have to think out which tactic to use based upon the game situation makes it a little better than the 'point and shot' type tactics. Thanks for the tactics and the great opening post.

Great work TBH. I use with my liverpool game, after use your tactic my liverpool score more goal and a lot of clean sheet. I hope this continue until end of season. I tweak little at attack corner and the OI i follow my assistant suggest.

Result :

Panathinaikos (A) win 3-0

M.City (A) win 1-0

Fulham (H) win 4-0

Hull (H) win 3-1

Atletico (A) win 4-0

Wigan (H) win 3-0

Arsenal (A) lost 2-3 (they score last goal in 92 minute)

Atletico (H) lost 1-2 (i use my second squad)

Sunderland (A) win 3-0

Great work TBH. I use with my liverpool game, after use your tactic my liverpool score more goal and a lot of clean sheet. I hope this continue until end of season. I tweak little at attack corner and the OI i follow my assistant suggest.

Result :

Panathinaikos (A) win 3-0

M.City (A) win 1-0

Fulham (H) win 4-0

Hull (H) win 3-1

Atletico (A) win 4-0

Wigan (H) win 3-0

Arsenal (A) lost 2-3 (they score last goal in 92 minute)

Atletico (H) lost 1-2 (i use my second squad)

Sunderland (A) win 3-0

Looking good. have you tried to not using a target man or do you apply him in every version ?

Its the 10th season matey :)

O'Niell decided to nose dive them to the championship!

The Sunderland Game went poorly, trying counter which didn't get me very far and 2-0 down. So at half time i changed it to balanced still to no avill, so with 10minutes left Overload took over, which seen my team play better but still not score. So a 2-0 Loss. Not Too Bad Really.

Got a League Cup Game against Petersbrough next, So lets see if i can demolish them.

Ah, then I understand

Surprise more people haven't looked into this set. I was having great success with 'SexyFootball' tactic until the new patch. Began using the 'Defensive' set with my League 1 Stafford Rangers then slowly added 'Control' and 'Attack Away', all with great success. Currently unbeaten in the last 12 games and am top of League 1 in 2015. This works well with a lower league squad and the fact that you have to think out which tactic to use based upon the game situation makes it a little better than the 'point and shot' type tactics. Thanks for the tactics and the great opening post.

I think it´s down to 2 things.

- Its a set, which usually attracts much less viewers or posters than a plug & play tactic

- It does not shout " Amazing tactic" or " "Won League first season with West Ham" in the thread title. Don't get me wrong, I think its OK to do that with a plug & play as its the tactic that actually does the job for the manager but when using a set and especially one of 7 version, It would be misleading as the set is only a box of tools in the hand on the manager and success with only come if the tools are used correctly and at the approriate time

the set is only a box of tools in the hand on the manager and success with only come if the tools are used correctly and at the approriate time
:thup:

I enjoy this tactic set a lot, however I seem to have problems against teams who play 4 at the back-1DMC-2MC`s-2(AMR,AML)-1ST like Barcelona or Fiorentina. What version/OI would you suggest

using considering my team is not a top side but I have enough quality players to beat any team. Thank you.

:thup:

I enjoy this tactic set a lot, however I seem to have problems against teams who play 4 at the back-1DMC-2MC`s-2(AMR,AML)-1ST like Barcelona or Fiorentina. What version/OI would you suggest

using considering my team is not a top side but I have enough quality players to beat any team. Thank you.

I would say that its very much down to the way they are playing. If they are using a play-making DMC I would Close Down/Always in the OI AND assign my FCR to man-mark him tight. I would also use man-man marking in the middle.I would also Close Down Always on the lone FC, going in hard on him as well The version I would be playing would probably be 7.Defensive but without a target man as i think he will struggle against the more possession based football of the opposition. Against Fiorentina I think I also could have used Balanced.

First post have been updated with two new sets.

- A 442 using NO Target man

- A 4231 Using a semi Target Man

They both, as for all set that will be made, consists of 7 versions and the description and version picking are the same as in the tread

Hi TBH!

Whats the reason for the set without a target man? Does it work better for you without TM?

When using a target man, you tend to use a different kind of supply, support etc. etc. The tactic would have to be different in terms of how isolated he actually can be etc, etc. The set with a target man is rather different then the new one, its not just the fact that the Fcs have different settings, the whole tactic/tactics are different in terms of the build up.

In some ways, the "442 target man set" is better for teams outside the topflight and/or in lower leagues and the "442 No TM" is more sophisticated and better for top teams.The roles upfront is also more defined in the new set as they do not swap position

The "best" set is still to come though. Its the 41221 play-maker that still is under the final construction( I have to try it with a much lesser team as well)

My team is still a candidate for promotion. Last season we ended 5th by loosing our last 2 matches 1:0. So would you say i should stay with 442TM an wait for 41221 play-maker?

Your choice. If you have many good FCs then you should stick with the 442( although I would convert to the new "442 No target man".

For this season i will stick with 442. I think I can't play the no tm because i have no box to box midfielders. I have a really good DM and a new M/AM. My strikers are very good for my league. Probably next season I will change to 41221 because I'm a fan of domination in midfield an I often played the lone striker in FM08.

After 7 games in the league with 442tm we have W3 D4 L0 GF14 GA3. Vitaly Rodionov scored 5, Miroslav Slepicka scored 3 and my joker Dalibor Veselinovic also scored 3! So i think my offense is really good with this tactic. :)

First off, massive thanks for this set TBH. It has really rekindled my passion for the game. I was doing ok with my own tactic but the team was extremely inconsistent.

Playing as Fiorentina I switched to this set midway through the first season and thanks to both Milan and Roma underachieving heavily it was pretty clear we would qualify for ECC so I did a lot of experimenting during the rest of the season, learning what tactics to use in each situation and also doing some minor tweaks. Especially my fullbacks were acting like drunken pigeons.

I think this partly comes from me playing it Italy where you come across some unusual formations. I get the feeling most people in here play in the English leagues. I hardy ever play there but I imagine you usually face 4-4-2s and 4-5-1(4-3-3). In Italy you come across some differences, especially the 3-5-2s and my biggest nemesis the 3-4-3.

Anyway, we finished the league in second place, miles behind Inter. For season 2 I changed the attacking corners. After seeing Inter score 17 and Juve 15 during season one I thought I would even out the odds a little bit.

The season has been amazing so far. After 31 games we’re in a race with Inter for the title. Third place Roma is a healthy 23 points after.

fiorentina1.th.jpg

I have noticed that in many games, even against weaker teams they usually dominate the match stats. A lot of long shots from the opposition in almost every game. However I usually have quite a few more CCC than they do. Since the opponents get so many shots it’s vital, at least in my game, to have a great goalkeeper. Luckily Fiorentina have Frey who is just amazing.

In Europe we went undefeated during the group stage, beating reigning champions Liverpool at home. Destroyed Shaktar in the first knockout round and recently sent Barcelona packing in the quarter final.

fiorentina2.th.jpg

My Superkeeper Frey got injured here and missed the secon leg. Poor Ustari who has had a horrid time since joining in January had to guard the goal in the return game.

fiorentina3.th.jpg

As you can see he did a decent job...

In the control tactic I have removed the target man and added a playmaker (the lone MC), as my strikers don’t get much room against very defensive sides.

All in all I love this set and as an added bonus I have become much better at reading the match engine and seeing what needs to be adjusted.

Once again, thank you TBH.

Hi TBH, I want to try the new set without TM but I would like to set the FCR long shots on rarely, will that have a bad effect on the tactic? Also, will it be successful using two small strikers with no good heading,strenght attributes ? Cheers.

Hi TBH, I want to try the new set without TM but I would like to set the FCR long shots on rarely, will that have a bad effect on the tactic? Also, will it be successful using two small strikers with no good heading,strenght attributes ? Cheers.

You can remove the longshots. As for having 2 small players, try it. As long as they have good off the ball stats, anticipation and some specific competence I think you will do fine

1. - First off, massive thanks for this set TBH. It has really rekindled my passion for the game. I was doing ok with my own tactic but the team was extremely inconsistent.

2 - ....and also doing some minor tweaks. Especially my fullbacks were acting like drunken pigeons.

I think this partly comes from me playing it Italy where you come across some unusual formations. I get the feeling most people in here play in the English leagues. I hardy ever play there but I imagine you usually face 4-4-2s and 4-5-1(4-3-3). In Italy you come across some differences, especially the 3-5-2s and my biggest nemesis the 3-4-3.

3- -Anyway, we finished the league in second place, miles behind Inter. For season 2 I changed the attacking corners. After seeing Inter score 17 and Juve 15 during season one I thought I would even out the odds a little bit.

4- I have noticed that in many games, even against weaker teams they usually dominate the match stats. A lot of long shots from the opposition in almost every game. However I usually have quite a few more CCC than they do. Since the opponents get so many shots it’s vital, at least in my game, to have a great goalkeeper. Luckily Fiorentina have Frey who is just amazing.

5 - In the control tactic I have removed the target man and added a playmaker (the lone MC), as my strikers don’t get much room against very defensive sides.

6- - All in all I love this set and as an added bonus I have become much better at reading the match engine and seeing what needs to be adjusted.

Once again, thank you TBH.

1 - Glad its working for you so well and that you enjoy the approach

2 - Yes, Its has to do with the closing down settings of the fullbacks vs the backtracking of the MR. You have to assign your wingers to work harder, maybe man-mark the AI Wingers ion every version and maybe tinker a bit with their closing down settings to.

3 - That is why I left it in a "score 10 a season state" so people could adjust it themselves to compete with the other top teams

4 - This is were the ability to read the game comes in as one have to be able to spot the difference between a player making an accurate long shot, not being under any pressure and a player making it as a last resort when he does not have any passing options. When they get too much time on the ball, too close to goal, its a sign that our tactic ain't working( wrong version picking or just bad game, better AI etc.). But in the other case, its often a sign of that we actually have picked the right version.

5 - This I have also done and is in the recommendation for all new sets. Always Play-maker and never Target man in Control, no matter what set on is using:thup:

6 - That's great. I think one will also get even better when applying another set/formation of mine and get the confirmation that the version picking is the same, that Attack Home always will be risky when playing a team doing.....and that sitting too deep with Counter always will be a bad/good version when the AI... etc, etc

First post have been updated with a new set - 41221 DMC Playmaker

I am going to do another "Project", just like with the west ham save. One with the 4231 and one with the 41221.

Give suggestions on what team I shall be ( not a top notch Cl team though), and please motivate it !

I thought I would give a small update on my last post.

Won the league with 98 points, 2 points clear of Inter who pushed me until the end. Lost the semi in CL to Real who went on to win the final against Man U.

For the new season I decided to try your new 4-4-2 without the TM since I really don’t have great TM-style strikers in the squad, and also because by now my team is one of the better teams in the league. We should be able to out-maneuver most teams using a more creative style of playing.

I would really like to try out the 4-1-2-2-1, since it’s my favorite system IRL, but I just spend 60 million Euro on Agüero during the off-season and I don’t think he really fits into that system.

So far I’ve only played the pre-season friendlies and the Super Cup but the results have been amazing.

namnlso.th.jpg

It not so much because of the result I show this pic since it’s a friendly and the opposition was crap. It’s more because of the ratings. It is my first 10.0 on FM09 and the 1.9 is the lowest rating I have seen so far.

120b.th.jpg

Even more important is that the football the team is producing is much more attractive to look at with this system. The goals have been much more varied and the strikers are much more involved in the build-up.

Will post a new update after about half the season.

KUTGW TBH!

Archived