Help!!!!

Ok guys I'm turning to you for some advice and help because I'm at a loss as to how to achieve consistently good performances in FM 09. I'm Sheffield Wednesday and apart from a great run in the first half of the first season which resulted in me getting promoted my form has been more up and down than a yo-yo.

I've tried Pointon's Sexy 442 but neither the control or home tactics have worked for me since the first half of that first season. I've also tried Knaps 442 tactics, with little luck there as I have been comprehensively outplayed in most games I've used that tactic aside from a 1-0 win over Arsenal at home.

My problem is not winning but doing so consistently. I don't understand how I can beat Liverpool 5-0 at Anfield and then lose to West Brom at home next game, or how I beat Arsenal 4-1 in a League Cup quarter at the Emirates but lose to Man City at home 5-2 with four of their goals coming from dumb errors.

Teamtalks are also a pain, I've tried different techniques but nothing seems to have the same affect as Wolfsong's great hints for FM 08.

Anyway, to those who feel they can help me. Here's my squad.

GKs

Diego Penny

Lee Grant

RBs

Radojkovic - Lithuanian teenager, great pace

Bernard Mendy

LBs

Insua - loan from Liverpool

Steven Hammell

CBs

Meite

Kilgallon

Spurr

Wood

Saidi

Hinds

RMs

Geovanni - loan from Hull

Koki Mizuno

Radojkovic can also play here

LMs

DaMarcus Beasley

Michael McIndoe

John Fleck

CMs

Massimo Donati

Marc Crosas

Mikel Alonso

Alexey Smertin - barely use him as he's really starting to decline

STs

Keirrison - started well, has been woeful in the past few games, barely getting over 6

Marquinhos - brilliant, scoring for fun, and now injured for five months - thanks for that!

Fleck

Tudgay

Jeffers

So as you can see it's not a great squad but I think it should be doing ok... anyone got any tips for a troubled player who really wants to enjoy FM 09 but is casting his gaze back at FM 08. Oh and I'm using the 8.0.2 update.

Cheers,

Ed

Would recommend the tylerbode tactic in this forum, once your team get use to it it is very solid and good to watch. Otherwise i guess you just gotta persevere, the English league can be hard even with the top clubs and if your holding your own with Sheff wed your probably doing better than you give yourself credit for. Good luck don't give up!! Besides FM08 wont keep you satisfied for long, once you have started playing the new one it is always hard to go back to an old version i always find

Thanks madmike... I have also tried the tylerbode tactic and found while it tightened the defence up a bit I wasn't going anywhere creating good chances and was just losing games 2-1 or 1-0... I guess I've just got to be a bit more forgiving of my lads... tough though because we play this game to win don't we? Not just to come a respectable 10th every year...

It is frustrating, hopefully someone will find a tactic that exploits the match engine soon and things will get a bit easier. By far the hardest FM so far

I hear that... given up on it... FM08 is not fun for me but at least I knew what I was doing...

Archived