POMO, Reep and Hughes - a few pet theories

Firstly - a few definitions (Both from Wikipedia). These are the whole articles (Creative Commons License etc) - the reason for this is to include the criticisim, as well as the actual definitions.

Charles Hughes was the director of FA coaching for the Football Association. He is best know for authoring the FA's official coaching manual, The Official FA Guide to Basic Team Coaching (ISBN 0-34-081600-7). His ideals were developed from the those developed by World War II Wing Commander Charles Reep. Hughes developed his ideas in the now defunct magazine Match Analysis from watching a variety of matches in soccer and concluded most goals were scored from less than three passes. So it was important to get the ball quickly forward as soon as possible.

Hughes defense was based on a statistical analysis in particular of the areas of the field from where goals were scored. He called these area the POMO - Positions of Maximum Opportunity and that became the focus of play. Get the ball into the POMO enough times and you are sure to score.

Hughes based his analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool F.C. and the Brazilian national team, as well as many England Youth games.

Many British coaches advocated his long ball philosophy but critics have derided his philosophy for encouraging a generation of players who lack basic technical skills and have lack of understanding of diversity of different tactical playing strategies.

Thorold Charles Reep born (22 September 1904) in Cornwall. Charles Reep was credited for creating the long ball game which has characterized english football. Charles Reep trained as an accountant, Reep volunteered for the Royal Air Force in 1928. In the 1950s Charles Reep wrote his theories on football in the now defunct magazine Match Analysis from watching a variety of matches in soccer and concluded most goals were scored from less than three passes. So it was important to get the ball quickly forward as soon as possible.

The quicker the ball was played to goal with the least amount of pass the more goals would be scored but now know as the long ball but this theory has been since discredited. His ideas have been the foundation of the Norway national football team playing style.

The long ball game. Much derided - but it can be devastatingly effective. The idea behind this tactic/thread is to put my 'pet theories' into a tactic, and get it working effectively. So what are they?

• Goals win games, Clean sheets win Championships (Someone very famous said this, and I can't remember who!)
  • "I don't care if my team is the dirtiest, luckiest, ugliest team in the League - as long as we win 1-0 every week" (Dave 'Harry' Bassett)
  • Wingers should be wingers. Head down, run with the ball, take on the fullback and get that ball into the box
  • Control the midfield, and control the game

And my main pet theory?

Every Goal either for or against comes from a mistake. Limit our mistakes, force the opponent into making them

Cliché city, you may say, but that is how I like to see football played. Long, Direct passing - hitting the channels, hitting the flanks. Clear your lines early and get that ball forward - as Charles Hughes might say - 'Put it in the POMO'.

The tactic

Judging from the above, you might think this is going to be a traditional 4-4-2. It isn't.

fmpomooi4.png

Roles & Responsibilities

GK; Stop the ball from going in the net ;) - Standard 'keeper.

WBR/L; Cut opposition balls down the wings out. Build attacks from deep - Set to Direct passing and Cross from Deep, should they find themselves in an advanced role - however, they have more defensive than attacking responsibility.

CBs; Collect ball from 'keeper, knock it long. Start attacks - as well as tidying up at the back.

DMC; The Fulcrum; Largely defensive responsibilities, but longer passing than most too, to get that ball to the wingers, quickly.

MCs; Box to Box - win and retain the ball. Both hard working grafters.

AMR/L; Run! - Cross the ball from the byline, by taking on/beating the fullback and causing trouble with their crosses.

SC; Strong and good in the air - winning the first ball by either sticking it in the net, or bringing someone playing from deep into play.

The Instructions

As you might expect, the mentalities are set defensively, using Ro2 (SC mentality is 9, for example). Passing is set individually - broadly direct/very direct (although one of the MC's is on Short passing). A Tempo just above centre, and obviously pass to flanks. Despite the tactic being based on the direct ball game, I would rather retain the ball in the defensive third until an opportunity presents itself - hence no 'Counter Attack' ticked, as I tend to find it loses possession. Closing Down is reasonably high across the board, in order to ramp up the pressure.

There is NO tactical download as yet - Why?!

Purely because I've used this tactic in one (count 'em...) competitive game. FWIW, we won 1-0 away at Blackburn (Bentley scored). In preseason, I had three centre backs, 1 DMC and 1 MC, so this has altered slightly already (hence the 3-3-3-1 filename which is incorrect). This thread is more theory than anything else - trying to develop something which works, but encompases old-fashioned wing play and direct passing. Using 9.0.1, by the way.

Variations

A more defensive variant would be one MC, two DMCs. I reckon (and my preseason exploits frankly proved it) that by not having two in the middle of the park, you severely limit your attacking capabilities. Also - Forward Runs to 'Rarely' for the Wingbacks. A more attacking variant might include pushing the DMC into Midfield and pushing someone else up front. The CB mentalities though would have to be changed to close the Defensive/Midfield gap.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Interesting read but if you are going to play the 'long ball' game does this mean you will have passing on notch 20? Do not confuse the word 'Direct' into thinking this means 'long ball' as it does not. This tactic would be good although would it not be best to have several players already waiting in the 'POMO' as in your setup they are not. I would be more inclined to set up a side for the long ball game looking something like this:

longballwc3.jpg

GK

LB

RB

DC

DC

DM (as below)

DM (Foward Runs Often)

AMC (Free Role)

AMC (Free Role)

FC (Big Target Man) To Hold Up Ball and get on the end of crosses from the AMC's and Full Backs.

ST (Fast Striker, Poacher) This guy will be the one to get on the end of your long balls on Counter Attacks.

With this setup you will have 4 players already waiting in the POMO area and with 6 players defending (the 2 DMC's will support the attacking 4) you will be looking to hit passes straight to the POMO area straight away.

The DMC's will need to have high Stamina and Workrate as they will be up and down that pitch all day closing down when we do not have the ball and getting up to help the AMC's out if they need a defensive pass or to quickly regain possession if they are to lose the ball. (High Closing Down needed).

Full backs: Have this on Mixed Forward Runs and have them to Cross the Ball Mix/Often from Deep and looking to aim for the Big Guy.

I feel that this kind of setup would be more suitable for the long ball game due to the strength of it's defending and the attacking side of it. Make sure you have 'Counter Attack' ticked and have a Deep D Line (between 5-7) with focus passing 'through middle' and have narrow width (between 4-6, possibly even 3 if you are away to a world class side).

Let me know how it goes or what you think about my setup.

So how is it going Seagull?

What are your thoughts on my suggestions?

Sorry, not been around all day - went up the pub with a mate who has just left his missus(!).

Interesting though - the reason I've gone for direct rather than long is to hit the man, rather than the space - whilst I do like to see long, arcing passes, I think that possession is crucial as well, and don't want to waste it (hence the lack of Counter Attack, which I consider gives away possession too much in game.

Your ideas though are good, and high workrate, determination etc across the board is certainly something I look for.

Despite not being around all day, I have played a few games (Wins in Bold, defeats in Italic);

v Blackburn (A) - League - 1-0 Win

v Liverpool (H) - League - 2-2 Draw

v Fulham (A) - League - 3-2 Win

v Man City (H) - League - 2-0 Win

v Artmedia (A) - UEFA Cup - 2-0 Win

v WBA (H) - League - 2-1 Loss

v Chelsea (A) - Carling Cup - 4-0 Loss

v Sunderland (H) - League - 2-1 Win

v Artmedia (H) - UEFA Cup - 2-0 Win

v Hull (H) - League - 1-1 Draw

So after 7 games I'm sixth with a notoriously 'ungelled' Spurs - and I've added £20 million worth of players to the squad. Not too unhappy tbh - the WBA loss/Hull draws were just 'SC had an off-day' games, although I should really think of a 'plan B' for when it isn't working!. As for the Chelsea defeat, I think class told. Also the 2 centre halves against a packed midfield didn't really work, and I should have adjusted earlier than I did.

Changes I've made

I tend to start games at least with the AMR/L on 'Mixed' forward runs. I find this brings them into the game a little more - they are in a deeper lying position when the ball is played to them, so seem to have a few seconds more time to do something with it before the fullback is on the case. I also have changed Forward Runs for one of the MC's, so they are both on mixed.

Possible changes

Thinking about asking the wingbacks to go Man-to-Man with the opposition wingers as a 'tightening up' step?

Update

Well, I've made a couple of changes - and it's resulted in two wins. Against Hull, I felt we lacked bite in midfield - not due to personnel, but more down to the Closing Down. Those run changes have also been made permanent.

So;

AMR/L; Forward Runs = Mixed (from Often), Closing Down = 20

SC; Closing Down = 20

Team Instructions;

Closing Down = 14 (I think, first notch of 'Whole Pitch in any case)

Variations - Attacking

For tougher games; Counter Attack on.

'Plan B' - SC as Targetman, Feed to depending on stats - for example, I usually put Pavyluchenko as 'To Head', and Micheal Owen to 'To Feet/Run onto Ball' (depending on opposition.

Variations - Defensive

For tougher games; Counter Attack on.

WBR/L; Forward Runs - 'Rarely'

FWIW, I've played a couple more games; 2-1 win away against Middlesbrough, 2-0 win away at Besiktas (UEFA Cup).

Possibly a download coming in a while, if there is interest...

Archived