Mitropa Cup 3:

Winners: 1932, 1934, 1961

UEFA Intertoto Cup:

Winners: 1998

Italian Northern League:

Winners: 1924–25

Runners-up: 1920–21, 1923–24, 1925–26

INTRODUCTION

Welcome to my thread, on the footballing colussus of Bologna F.C. 1909.

Why would anyone want to manage Bologna? Well, I get easily bored after a few seasons with a top club; but I also get bored of seasons in the lower leagues trying to reach the top. So, for me, the ideal option is a smaller club already in the top flight. One which can possibly challenge for European qualification and flirt with domestic cup success.

Yeah, but why pick them?? That's easy - I kinda like the colours and badge!

Tell us a bit about them then! Bologna reside in the central part of northern Italy, near the top of the boot if you like, close to Modena and Ravenna. Being in such a location they have many rivalries in the footballing world - Parma, Modema and Fiorentina for example.

Bologna have had success in the past - the distant past. They last won the Scudetto in 63-64, and the Coppa Italia in 73-74. Like a lot of these old institutions, their great successes came in the early days. In Bolognas' case, that was from the mid twenties until World War II. This is there first season back in Serie A since being relegated a few years ago.

Bologna.jpg

Their stadium is the Renato Dall'Ara, named after a former president. It holds around 38,000.

My game I'll be playing with the standard 9.2 database, set to run Serie A only - because I have a single core machine which struggles a bit. I've added around 10-12 DDTs though, which should help a bit with longevity. I don't use any in-game editors, and I don't see the point in cheating on something that's just a game for my enjoyment; it's really not that important.

Also, I use my scouts for signing players, not the search screen - a bit like LLM I suppose; same goes with the staff - the job centre. It's strange at first, but much more fun once you accept it and adapt.

My updates and information will be by no means comprehensive as this is just a bit of fun, but I'll try to get the important things in, and if you want to know anything else please just ask.

HERE WE GO

When you sign up you find out your target in season is avoiding relegation. The media confirm that by predicting you'll finish in 16th place. Finances are modest - a balance of around £4m and a budget of £2.4m and a wage cap of around £140k. Facilities are fine and you have an academy too. The staff are OK for the level, you have a couple of local feeders and a couple of interesting youngsters in the Primavera.

Now onto the 1st team! This is what I'd advise starting with (if you go with a 442), but these players might not suit your tactics. A couple of options are Britos at DL and Mudingayi at MCd.

team.jpg

Here's what I went with most of the time =

GK - Antonioli - Very old but not too bad.

DR - Lavecchia - Tackling is low but he's fast and got good mental stats.

DL - Ribeiro - £200k from Benfica. Very useful type indeed.

DC - Gioda - £350k from Independiente. Again, I like the look of him; fast and strong.

DC - Teco - £725 from Cruzeiro. Ditto, seems just the job.

MR - Marchini - on loan with an option for £75k. Looks alright, see how he works out.

ML - Rodriguez - on loan with option for £1.4m. Looks a talent.

MCa - Carrus - hmmm, the best I've got, but I'm not convinced.

MCd - Mingazzini - looks dependable.

FC - Di Vaio - on loan with an option for £3m. Not too shabby.

SC - Marazzina/Adailton. I'm lightweight up front!

All in all the squad you inherit isn't too bad. I signed three defenders because I wanted more pace. The major concerns are MCa and both the striking slots (my starters are 32 and 34).

Season 08/09

League position- 16th (media prediction 16)

Coppa round- 1st

Title odds- 200/1

Top league scorer - Di Vaio 16

Top rating- Teco 7.21

Player of year- Teco

Aver. attendance- 24,581

Aver. age25

Balance + budget- £4m + £2.4m

Wage budget + current- £142k + £142k

Scudetto - Inter

Coppa - Inter

Champs. leag. - Liverpool

Euro cup- PSV

Fav. Personnel- Teco

Affiliates - Mezzolara (ITA), BV Veendam (HOL), RW Essen (GER), Deinze (BEL)

Leaguetable.jpg

Transfers.jpg

Bestresult.jpg

Not a resounding success, but achieved the objective. Three clubs around me jostling for position, none of whom threatened with relegation, and none of whom threatening those above! Inter won a closely fought title and the Coppa, Liverpool getting the Champs League, and PSV picking up the Euro cup (is it just me, but I can't stop calling that thing the UEFA Cup?!?!). The board were very happy with my league position, and getting through a couple rounds of the cup too. Our best result of the year was beating Roma 3-0 at the Olympico. The Primavera side did OK, finishing 9th.

The three transfers all worked out great, I'm happy to say, increasing lots in value too. Obviously we're going to be a selling club so that's important. Transfer tagets are usually not older than 27 so I can hopefully move them on for profit. In the winter window I didn't get extra money, just the £2.1m I already had. Seeing as there wasn't really anyone to meet my needs on the market I used some of the money for Rodriguez, as he was playing well, meaning that it wouldn't come out my summer budget. The only other incomer was a loantobuy striker from Madrid, but he didn't work out and was released at the end of the season. A few players went out - none of them notable, other than maybe Moras (£1.5m); good at defending but a bit slow.

Where do I go from here? I've got a media prediction of 17th for the coming season, but I'm hoping to finish around 12-15th, if I get the right people in. That would be a big improvement, and still a good achievement - the squad is shaping up but there's still some dead wood around. The budget is £3.8m, but Mudingayi is going for £5m over two years to Toro; that should add around £2m to this years numbers for spending, as my current reinvestment from sales is 80%. I've already got Valdes coming in from Atalanta for £275k and I took up Marchinis' option for £75k. Gerson will be joining me in 18 months for £150k + 10%.

A few good youths came through to the Under 20's so I've got them on individual routines. Some scouts have been signed over the last year. And I've also added a few feeders from around Europe.

I'll be back after the summer.

EDIT: player of the year was Teco; he also had the highest average rating. One of my signings, so I'm really pleased. Top scorer, with 16 in the league, was Di Vaio; he was still released back to Genoa as his clause of £3m doesn't represent good value for a 33y/o to a club like Bologna. Average attendance was just under 25,000. Youth facilities were upgraded to good.

SUMMER UPDATE

Promotions - Brescia, Livorno and a top flight return for Parma.

Undersoil heating was fitted, just over 14000 season tickets were sold, and a new scout was hired to find young talent in Germany and England.

I had a very unusual transfer campaign this summer. I filled all the roles I'd targeted, but with the funds not spent the way I'd imagined, and with players I wasn't expecting. On top of that, a couple of strange happenings.

Notable outs

13 players freed

Mudingayi > Torino £5m

Bernacci > Reggina £850k

Paonessa > Siena £725k

Della Rocca > Verona £550k

Moretti > Milan £8m co-own

In

Marchini > Triestina free

Valdes > Atalanta £275k

Lanna > Torino free

Regini > Novara £275k + 10%

Bolatti > Porto £375k

Elson > free agent

Lux > Mallorca £3.5m

Kleber > D. Kiev £2.3m

Edgar > Porto £625k

Cruz > Inter £180k

First, the outs. Mudingayi was supposed to be my first choice MCd, but he got injured in pre-season last year and never challenged Mingazzini to reclaim the berth, so it made sense to move him on. Moretti???? £8m for 50% of a regen! I want him to stay of course but I had to take that money for the short term. When his auction comes up I'll bid most of that figure minus a couple of million, then if he stays I'll still be in profit on his deal.

The ins. I'm hoping Valdes claims the MR slot for his own, but there's no rush. Bolatti is an economical replacement for Mudingayi. And Edgar is a value for money (I hope) striker to make up the numbers ahead of Adailton.

My top target was a GK and I hoped to get one for around £1m. There really was no other option than spending the £3.5m on Lux. Don't get me wrong, he's approaching his prime and his stats are great. The only thing that worries me is his decisions, an important one for a goalie. That money is a big investment for a club our size so I hope it pans-out.

My next priority was a striker and I was focused on Keirrison. But with more money than expected going on a GK I had to find someone else and it wasn't easy. Kleber was always on my radar but I've had him before and he was no better than average. With so many clubs in for him and him being overpriced (I think) at £3.3m I thought I wouldn't even get him. Milan talked personal terms with him and then pulled out. With no other options I tried £2.3m and it was accepted. He signed after a long delay. But days after I signed him, Milan came in with a bid of £4.8m! Very strange. Anyway, with no other strikers around I offered him for £10m and wasn't dissappointed when they refused.

See you in the winter.

EDIT: How could I forget 'the gardener'. Thought I'd give Cruz a go, playing in deeper forward role. Pushing 35, a player I've always liked, and with a severe lack of options I took the gamble (on a 1 year contract!). I hope he turns out OK.

WINTER UPDATE

As of 6th January we're sitting in an amazing 9th in the league!

league.jpg

However, the matches to take us up to half-way in the campaign are against Juve, Lazio and Genoa; so it'll be difficult to take anything from those. And then the next two matches are against Inter and Fiorentina.

In the Coppa we had an unfortunate extra-time exit at the hands of Lecce. Without European football it would've been nice to have a wee run in the cup.

Lux is proving to have been a good buy and Cruz has been doing OK. Kleber has dissappointed with 4 from 14 in the league, and Britos has taken over from Ribeiro at left-back.

Vancouver has been added as a commercial link, so we'll hopefully see a return from the £1.1m annual fee we pay them.

Now onto the winter transfer campaign. I'm happy with business, again. I managed to get rid of some dead weight, and Gioda (DC) also went, to Napoli for £5m. He served well last year but at the start of this season he was making some mistakes and was going to be replaced in the team, so I though I'd cash in whilst his value was still quite high. Ruben has been signed from Villareal for £3.3m; the Argentinian will be playing as the main striker and I have high hopes of him. Kleber will move over to the deeper forward role which may suit him better. So Cruz is relegated the bench. Lillo comes in from Valencia; he's a very defensive right-back that my scouts rate highly. He's only 20 and will be eased into the team to see how he performs. Lopez (DC) replaces Gioda on the bench. Again, he'll just be getting a few appearances to see how it goes. And lastly, Caffa (ML). I've high hopes for him, he seems like a quality left winger and with him and Ruben in the line-up I'm hoping for better performances all-round.

wintertransfers09-10.jpg

There is a few million left in the kitty, but I won't be doing anymore business; unless a quality MC becomes available. There's already 4 or 5 changes in the line-up from last season and I think that's plenty. The league campaign is going fine and I don't want to upset things with too many changes.

That's all for now. Good luck to you all in your own games.

SEASON 09/10

League position- 9th (media prediction 17)

Coppa round- 4th qual. round

Title odds- 200/1

Top league scorer - Kleber 15

Top rating- Teco 7.15

Player of year- Teco

Aver. attendance- 27,472

Aver. age- 23

Balance + budget- £9.7m + £3.8m

Wage budget + current- £164k + £122k

Scudetto - Milan

Coppa - Inter

Champs. leag. - Inter

Euro cup- Newcastle

World Cup- England

Fav. Personnel- Teco

Affiliates- Mezzolara (ITA), BV Veendam (HOL), RW Essen (GER), Deinze (BEL), Lanzarote (SPA), Vancouver (USA)

League09-10.jpg

A great campaign! After planning on finishing in the 12-15 area I'm delighted with 9th. Finishing above Sampdoria and Palermo, two experienced Serie A sides, shows we're on the right track. Brescia and Livorno went down, sadly along with Torino - I hope they come back soon. Milan won a close contest, with the top five sides fighting it out until the end. Cagliari and Chievo make a swift return to the top flight, accompanied by Empoli. The Bologna Primavera side did very well, finishing 3rd. Inter won the top European title after a wait of 45 years, as well as retaining the Coppa. And Newcastle won the Euro, their first continental trophy for 41 years. England triumphed in the World Cup, beating 9 man Argentina in extra-time.

Top man for the season was, again, Teco. The £725k man from Cruzeiro really is the keystone of our progress - a fans favourite, he has become the first of my players to be recognised as favoured personel. Kleber thrived on the more withdrawn attacking slot, and eneded the season on 15 league goals - I'm happy with that. Lux did well between the sticks and I think he's been good value for the investment; Milan have been sniffing around him but not made a bid, as yet. Ruben had to warm the bench, taking time to settle. And Julio Cruz proved good value, netting a few as well as playing for the team.

Next season? The Media prediction is 12th, and I wouldn't be too downhearted if that's where we were placed. However, I'm targeting 8th/9th and with a little luck we may even make the final Euro placing of 7th.

To strengthen the squad, my top priority is a quality MCa. We've really been lacking there since I came to the club, and it's where I think the money will be going this summer. Another position requiring strengthening is the right side of midfield; there'll be a little money getting spent there too.

I'll be back at the start of September with an update on the summer transfer campaign.

WINTER UPDATE

Sorry for missing the summer update - got a bit too involved in my game! Anyway, here's all the changes.

wintertransfersb10-11.jpg

wintertransfers10-11.jpg

Summer campaign -

Ribeiro was injured near the start of the last season and was replaced by Britos, who showed acceptable form and kept the DL berth; Ribeiro therefore asked for a move and he got it (£2m profit). Edgar didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff and likewise his request for a move was granted (£875k profit). Bolatti was adequate cover, but with Tomas becoming available I took the opportunity to strengthen the midfield a bit and the former was moved on (£325k profit). With the arrival of a first choice MCa, Carrus was moved on too (original squad member). I accepted Milans' offer to co-own Ficarra for £4.8m.

Osvaldo was purchased to considerably improve the MR position, and Feghouli will be first pick in the MCa role. I'm hoping both become first choice regulars for many years. Tomas was mentioned above, and Saha comes in as a free agent to replace Edgar. Another free agent, Bruno, is a Belgian youngster who shows some promise; he goes into the Primavera side to show what he can do. And finally, Milans £8m half of Moretti was purchased back for £5m to show a very healthy profit.

Winter campaign -

This was the first transfer window where I've not been happy with the dealings; I landed a few players, but I didn't off-load the ones I wanted rid of. It's just a case of unnecessary people on the wage bill.

Out, as planned went, Terzi. Lopez shaped up fine in the DC role, making Terzi surplus and clearing a space on the bench for young Gulde to step up. I managed to get small fees for Marchini and Coda, from the reserves, before they became free agents.

Now the incomers. Gerson first of all; bought a couple of years ago he finally arrives and joins the youths. Now, I wasn't happy with Ruben up front and I'll be surprised if he turns out to be a keeper, but I'm keeping him until at least the summer. I'll see how he does coming off the bench, as he's got great pace. So, I brought in Louis on a loan-to-buy. I get the feeling he'll be going back home but he might surprise me; he did actually score 4 minutes into his debut against Juventus!! I kept Cruz a season too long and had to replace him with Di Gennaro, a 22y/o who shows enough promise to be back-up. So Cruz and Saha are surplus players I mentioned earlier; i couldn't even get them fixed up on loan deals.

winterleague10-11.jpg

As you can see, it's all to play for at the half-way stage. It'll be tough with the teams around us, and in this type of company a lot comes down to luck. But we'll do what we can. We started really well, going unbeaten for eight games, against teams such as Milan, Napoli and Sampdoria. Then it was one forward and two back until Christmas. After the break things picked up well though - winning two and drawing one, against Juventus, Lecce and Fiorentina respectively. So, hopefully we'll keep the momentum going for a while. But as I said, luck plays a big part for a team like Bologna in this kind of company.

See you in the summer. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

im the same, i get bored a lot and continuly change clubs. I dont like going with big clubs, but i also find it boring to go with lower leauge clubs. I like going with mid low table group which are in a eztablish leauge and improve them, i have done this with much success with a lot of clubs, but no club have been shouting out to me. Reading this i am convinced to go with bologna. I hope it will work out.

Thanks for the term updates helps to get me started

Archived